Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Independent Pad Modes on the S9

Unit27 12:22 AM - 20 January, 2020
youtu.be

I've built a mapping for the S9 that allows multiple independent pad modes for each deck using a single user mode. Currently it's set up so User Mode 3 gives you Hot Cues, Sampler, Sampler + Hot Cues, and mapped Beat Jump + Loop Rolls. Also User Mode 4 has controls for Sync, Slip Mode, and Pitch 'n Time.
DJ JulioYEG 2:14 AM - 20 January, 2020
lol u are charging ppl when there are better free mappings for the s9
Unit27 2:54 AM - 20 January, 2020
Quote:
lol u are charging ppl when there are better free mappings for the s9

I’m charging for it because it took a ton of work and trial and error to make this, and it’s doing something I’ve not seen any other mapping for the S9 be capable of. The mapping is structured so it’s relatively easy to modify and implement any other layout you want if you need to.
Unit27 8:07 PM - 22 January, 2020
I've just added Silent Cue mode 😎
DJMIYAGI 8:24 PM - 22 January, 2020
Quote:
I've just added Silent Cue mode 😎

How?
Chino 9:02 PM - 22 January, 2020
Quote:
youtu.be

I've built a mapping for the S9 that allows multiple independent pad modes for each deck using a single user mode. Currently it's set up so User Mode 3 gives you Hot Cues, Sampler, Sampler + Hot Cues, and mapped Beat Jump + Loop Rolls. Also User Mode 4 has controls for Sync, Slip Mode, and Pitch 'n Time.

NICE work!! This should make A LOT of S9 users VERY HAPPY!!!
Harlemfire 12:53 AM - 23 January, 2020
Is it similar to this Watchwww.youtube.com because this is free???
Unit27 3:29 AM - 23 January, 2020
Quote:
Is it similar to this Watchwww.youtube.com because this is free???

Haveboard's mapping is amazing.

The big difference is that mine does the Pad Mode switching in a single User Mode, so User Mode 1 and 2 is free to map however you like.

In User Mode 3, hitting Shift + Pads 1 to 4 sets the Pad Mode for that deck, letting you set, for example, Deck 1 to Hot Cues and 2 to Sampler on the fly. Shift + Pads 5 to 8 change the Sampler bank.

On User Mode 4 I've added Slip Mode, Silent Cue (not a hack, the real feature), Sync, Key Sync and Shift, and P'nT.

Also, it doesn't require external tools, everything is done inside the XML, so it should remain stable for live use.
DJMIYAGI 7:12 PM - 23 January, 2020
Quote:
Silent Cue (not a hack, the real feature)

How?
Harlemfire 8:00 PM - 23 January, 2020
I purchased this from your site last night. This is awesome work. It is better than haveboards
Unit27 7:56 PM - 24 January, 2020
Quote:
I purchased this from your site last night. This is awesome work. It is better than haveboards

Thank you!

Haveboard's mapping is amazing too. For anyone who hasn't checked it out: Watchwww.youtube.com
Unit27 7:58 PM - 24 January, 2020
Quote:
Quote:
Silent Cue (not a hack, the real feature)

How?

serato.com

I didn't want to post about it directly as it's the cool new feature they're promoting, but the code is out now
dj_soo 8:09 PM - 24 January, 2020
my guess is that when the XP2 came out, serato just added the feature into the code, but kept it exclusive to the XP2 - and later on the 70 as an "added value" feature. I would expect it to roll out as a midi-mappable feature in the next update or two.
Unit27 8:51 PM - 24 January, 2020
Quote:
my guess is that when the XP2 came out, serato just added the feature into the code, but kept it exclusive to the XP2 - and later on the 70 as an "added value" feature. I would expect it to roll out as a midi-mappable feature in the next update or two.

It's mappable already, just not through Serato's interface just like a lot of other functions. Currently you have to add the code from the linked thread to your XML mapping file to get it.
dj_soo 9:12 PM - 24 January, 2020
Yea I know - I mean it’ll be added into the UI and mappable through the software hopefully soon.
DJMIYAGI 9:37 PM - 24 January, 2020
Quote:
Yea I know - I mean it’ll be added into the UI and mappable through the software hopefully soon.

raneforum.com
DJMIYAGI 9:45 PM - 24 January, 2020
Quote:
Quote:

raneforum.com

Confirmed for the 72!
Unit27 2:20 AM - 25 January, 2020
Bit of a side note. Apparently there's some concerns that I took Haveboard's mapping and just edited it. I wanted to clear the air up. Here's the full original FB post I made about it:

Quote:
I'd like to address an issue that's come up with the S9 mapping I uploaded this week.

I've been in contact with DJ haveboard because he's been told I took the code he developed for his mapping and repurposed it for mine without proper credit. I believe it's a misunderstanding that grew out of proportion, and that we arrived to a similar product via different paths, but trying to prove it gets very complicated for a variety of reasons. I don't believe in biting, stealing, and much less doing either for profit, so I wouldn't put it out if I wasn't confident in it being original work.

We've talked about it at length, and decided that going through evidence and dissecting the code would be a very unproductive use of our time and would probably lead us nowhere, so we've decided to put an end to this and be open to work together instead. Our community is already small enough for beefs, and we both believe opening up your tools, tinkering with them and making them better is an important path forward to enable innovation in the DJ and turntablism scene.

I've added his credit and MIT license to my mapping for all versions moving forward. His contribution to the turntablist and DIY DJ community should be recognized, and I encourage you to check out his work. I'm told he's planning some really interesting updates in the near future.

djhaveboard.com

I'd also love to recommend you check other's work too. Radikarl has a fantastic mapping that allows Hot Cue Tone Play www.radikarl.de. Here's a great video by Mojaxx going through how it works youtu.be.

Teo Tormo's article on hacking Serato XMLs is fantastic too, it's opened up some amazing possibilities on what can be done by editing XMLs. djtechtools.com

As for mine, my hope by making it commercially available is that it can become a project that grows and can provide a lot more value than just being a simple XML. If you've picked it up, thank you for your contribution, and hope you like and find it useful in its present and future form.

Peace!
DJ Yagga 5:18 AM - 26 January, 2020
Just bought my copy Unit27 - Great work 👌🏾

Quote:
youtu.be

Unit27 6:13 AM - 26 January, 2020
Quote:
Just bought my copy Unit27 - Great work 👌🏾

Quote:
youtu.be

Thanks a lot!
DJ JulioYEG 11:45 PM - 26 January, 2020
is it possible to have the sampler on top and cues on bottom?
Unit27 4:29 AM - 27 January, 2020
Quote:
is it possible to have the sampler on top and cues on bottom?

Shouldn't be too hard to do, it's just a matter of moving the hot cues and samples code around.
Unit27 3:47 AM - 28 January, 2020
Just posted a big update. Added a 2nd mapping that includes an In Key Toneplay mode. It allows you to play Hot Cue 7 as a Minor or Major scale and lets you switch between two octaves using the Parameter buttons.

The Hot Cues + Sampler page also got an overhaul. I moved the Hot Cues on top, and the Parameter buttons change Hot Cues and Samples between 1-4 and 5-8.
Harlemfire 4:25 AM - 28 January, 2020
Would it be possible to make look like the default hot cue section? Meaning the default color of the un-assigned pads (white) and then when you assigned a hot cue to the pad the color code change?

I also noticed a small issue with the left deck pad modes, for example...

If you have left side pads set to "samples", It sometimes switches to "hot cues" if you select "hot cues" or "samples" on the right deck.

If you have left side pads set to "Rolls/Beat Jump", it sometimes switches to "Samples/Hot Cues" if you select "Hot Cues" or "Samples" on the right deck

No issues with right side pads.... This issue may no longer exists on your recent update.
Unit27 5:15 AM - 28 January, 2020
Quote:
Would it be possible to make look like the default hot cue section? Meaning the default color of the un-assigned pads (white) and then when you assigned a hot cue to the pad the color code change?

I also noticed a small issue with the left deck pad modes, for example...

If you have left side pads set to "samples", It sometimes switches to "hot cues" if you select "hot cues" or "samples" on the right deck.

If you have left side pads set to "Rolls/Beat Jump", it sometimes switches to "Samples/Hot Cues" if you select "Hot Cues" or "Samples" on the right deck

No issues with right side pads.... This issue may no longer exists on your recent update.

Unfortunately, we can't access hot cue colors yet, it's one of the big shortcomings of MIDI mapping.

The pad mode switching was a bug with the use of modifier combinations to do the switching. I've moved them to what I've found to be unused modifiers, so it should be fixed in newer updates.
Harlemfire 10:27 PM - 28 January, 2020
Understood, I Figured it might be related to the modifiers.
Harlemfire 12:53 AM - 29 January, 2020
Tried the update. That issue is gone
Unit27 1:38 AM - 29 January, 2020
Awesome! Also, if you guys try out the Toneplay mode, I'd love to know how you like it.
Harlemfire 4:33 AM - 30 January, 2020
I really don't use Toneplay but I Tried it and it works fine.
Unit27 1:21 AM - 2 February, 2020
Made a quick vid showing the In Key Toneplay mode. It takes Hot Cue 8 and lets you play it as a Major or Minor key with the Parameter < button. Parameter > switches the octave up or down.

youtu.be
Angelo2019 9:45 PM - 15 April, 2020
hi,

is there a way to customize the buttons of the "pad mode functions" ?
I mean, I would like to use use the "roll pad mode" as "cue loop", for example

is it also possibile, in general, to change all the "standard pad section presets" and customize everything as I preferer (colors, functions, modes, etc), without using the "user mode"?

thanks
Unit27 3:16 PM - 16 April, 2020
Quote:
hi,

is it also possibile, in general, to change all the "standard pad section presets" and customize everything as I preferer (colors, functions, modes, etc), without using the "user mode"?

thanks

Hi,

Currently the only way to customize the scripts is to edit the XML code directly. It should not be too hard if you know your way around Sersto's MIDI Mapping XML, but it still isn't very user friendly.

Currently there's no way to edit the standard modes like that. You can override functions with MIDI Map, bit again, it's not feature complete and isn't as flexible as what you'd like to do. Pioneer would need to do a major firmware update for that to be possible.
DJ Tecniq 4:00 PM - 16 April, 2020
“User mode”
Angelo2019 7:04 PM - 16 April, 2020
Quote:
Quote:
hi,

thanks

Hi,

Currently the only way to customize the scripts is to edit the XML code directly. It should not be too hard if you know your way around Sersto's MIDI Mapping XML, but it still isn't very user friendly.

Currently there's no way to edit the standard modes like that. You can override functions with MIDI Map, bit again, it's not feature complete and isn't as flexible as what you'd like to do. Pioneer would need to do a major firmware update for that to be possible.

thanks. Yes, my intention was to customize the performance pad the same way you did with "user mode", for an easy and quick access of the functions I needed.
I've tried to map the pad with the Midi map of Serato, but as you said, it's not too flexible as I would like

So, the only way is using the "User Mode" and edit the xml file, right?

Another question: do you know how to enable the "Silent Cue" mode and mapping it ?

thanks
Unit27 4:40 AM - 17 April, 2020
You can access the Silent Cue function using the <mute> XML tag. This thread explains very well how to do it: serato.com
Unit27 5:04 PM - 10 June, 2020
I've just uploaded version 1.5, which adds Multi-FX Mode to User Mode 2.

Multi FX-Mode allows you to toggle or activate momentarily all 6 Serato FX independently using the performance pads, letting you create a complex multi-FX chain.

It also adds a new alternate version of the mapping with 4 modes:

- Hot Cues / Sampler
- Hot Cues + Sampler
- Loops Trigger
- In Key Toneplay

www.unit27music.com
DJ Yagga 5:58 PM - 10 June, 2020
Quote:

Multi FX-Mode allows you to toggle or activate momentarily all 6 Serato FX independently using the performance pads, letting you create a complex multi-FX chain.

- Hot Cues / Sampler
- Hot Cues + Sampler
- Loops Trigger
- In Key Toneplay

www.unit27music.com

How does one gets the update if they purchased the original file?

Thanks.
Angelo2019 5:59 PM - 11 June, 2020
is it possible to customize the midi pad for the independent mode on the normal Pad Section?

I would like to do like this (on the Hot Cue Pad Mode):

Midi Mapping a page change on the Parameters Buttons and change like this:

1) First page for Hot Cue
2) Second page for Saved Loop
3) Third page for Sampler

is it possible ?
Unit27 10:57 PM - 11 June, 2020
Quote:
Quote:

- Hot Cues / Sampler
- Hot Cues + Sampler
- Loops Trigger
- In Key Toneplay

www.unit27music.com

How does one gets the update if they purchased the original file?

Thanks.

You can find the download link on the email you received when first purchased. If you don't have it, you can log in on this page.

www.unit27music.com

If you have any problems please DM me here.
Unit27 11:01 PM - 11 June, 2020
Quote:
is it possible to customize the midi pad for the independent mode on the normal Pad Section?

is it possible ?

Doing a multi-page mapping like that might be doable by combining modifiers and conditionals to make the Parameter < and > act as Inc/Dec buttons, however, implementing that in this mapping might be too hard because I've already used up all safe modifiers I could find. It would require a big rewrite and maybe losing functions along the way.

Mapping the main pad modes is possible, but not advisable because it can create conflicts with the rest of the mixer's functions. I purposefully avoided using User Mode 1 because the Parameter < > buttons were causing unwanted functions to trigger.
Angelo2019 6:48 AM - 12 June, 2020
Quote:
Quote:

is it possible ?

Doing a multi-page mapping like that might be doable by combining modifiers and conditionals to make the Parameter < and > act as Inc/Dec buttons, however, implementing that in this mapping might be too hard because I've already used up all safe modifiers I could find. It would require a big rewrite and maybe losing functions along the way.

Mapping the main pad modes is possible, but not advisable because it can create conflicts with the rest of the mixer's functions. I purposefully avoided using User Mode 1 because the Parameter < > buttons were causing unwanted functions to trigger.

thanks for your answer. I've just started to understand the midi map code, so about modifiers and conditionals, i'm not really prepared, but I would like to understand and try .

My purpose is to assign a page change on the parameter buttons of the Hot Cue Mode to switch among saved loop, sampler and hot cue (of course)

I would like to do this in 2 ways:

1) Assign just one parameter button: so I can switch just pressing it everytime
2) Assign the left and right arrow: so I can switch as "next" and "prevoiuos" mode

Could you help me doing this, if possible ?
How many modifiers is it possible to use ?

I just need to understand the modifiers, because I know more or less, how to midi map the main functions

I hope you can help me

Thanks
Unit27 4:23 PM - 12 June, 2020
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

is it possible ?

thanks for your answer. I've just started to understand the midi map code, so about modifiers and conditionals, i'm not really prepared, but I would like to understand and try .

My purpose is to assign a page change on the parameter buttons of the Hot Cue Mode to switch among saved loop, sampler and hot cue (of course)

I would like to do this in 2 ways:

1) Assign just one parameter button: so I can switch just pressing it everytime
2) Assign the left and right arrow: so I can switch as "next" and "prevoiuos" mode

Could you help me doing this, if possible ?
How many modifiers is it possible to use ?

I just need to understand the modifiers, because I know more or less, how to midi map the main functions

I hope you can help me

Thanks

Check out these two articles, they have a lot of info on how to work with modifiers.

djtechtools.com
djtechtools.com

Modifiers are On/Off switches you can use as conditions for other things to happen. So you can use a condition to change the behavior of pads. You can have multiple conditions inside a condition tag, like this:

<condition>
<modifier_1 deck_set="Default" deck_id="0" slot_id="0" operator="equal" cmp_value="off"/>
<modifier_2 deck_set="Default" deck_id="0" slot_id="0" operator="equal" cmp_value="on"/>
</condition>

That would for both modifier_1 and modifier_2's state to execute the rest of the code inside a <case> tag. You can have multiple <case> tags, which work as if-else statements in programming. By checking multiple modifiers for each case, you can create multiple option controls. WIth 2 modifiers, you'd get 4 options (off/off, off/on, on/off, and on/on). By checking 3 modifiers, you get 8. That's what I used to build the page switching behavior.

For your 3 page setup, you'd need to check the state of 2 modifiers and use them to select which page you want to be enabled, then use that same modifier combination to enable the page's controls on the pads.

I've found 24 modifiers Serato can use (modifier_1 to modifier_24), but the S9 seems to use up to modifier_16 for its internal mapping, so they're not safe to use. AFAIK 17 to 24 are safe.
Angelo2019 9:09 PM - 12 June, 2020
thanks for your information!

it's not easy, but i've tried to set the modifier on the paramater button (just one as toogle)

I've just put the modifier 1 on the parameter button, then the slot reloop on the first pad, then a sampler on the first pad

Is it correct like this ?

<midi app=" 2.3.5">
<control channel="1" event_type="Note On" control=“9”>
<userio event="click">
<modifier_24 deck_set="Default" deck_id="0" slot_id="0">
<translation action_on="press" behaviour="toggle"/>
</modifier_24>
</userio>
<userio event="output">
<modifier_24 deck_set="Default" deck_id="0" slot_id="0">
<translation action_on="any">
<alias name="on" value="127"/>
<alias name="off" value="0"/>
</modifier_24>
</userio>
</control>
<control channel=“8” event_type="Note On" control="0">
<case>
<condition>
<modifier_24 deck_set="Default" deck_id="0" slot_id="0" operator="equal" cmp_value=“off”/>
</condition>
<userio event="click">
<cue_point deck_set="Default" deck_id="0" slot_id="0">
<translation action_on="any" behaviour="explicit"/>
</cue_point>
</userio>
<userio event="output">
<cue_point_set deck_set="Default" deck_id="0" slot_id="0">
<alias name="on" value="42"/>
</translation>
</cue_point_set>
</userio>
</case>
<case>
<condition>
<modifier_24 deck_set="Default" deck_id="0" slot_id="0" operator="equal" cmp_value=“on”/>
</condition>
<userio event="click">
<cue_point deck_set="Default" deck_id=“0” slot_id=“0”>
<translation action_on="any" behaviour="explicit"/>
</cue_point>
</userio>
<userio event="output">
<cue_point_set deck_set="Default" deck_id=“0” slot_id=“2”>
<alias name="on" value="42"/>
</translation>
</cue_point_set>
</userio>
</case>
</midi>
Angelo2019 10:07 PM - 12 June, 2020
sorry, the midi code is the wrong one. i've deleted the one I made with loop and sampler, so i can not post it

Anyway, is that correct ? If not, could you help me just to write the modifier and condition ?

I can map the functions, but I still don't really understand how to write the code for the modifiers

Thanks
ron koss 8:56 AM - 13 June, 2020
hi, your mapping looks great!
small question: it is possible to map the fx serato buttons to have the 12 internal effects of the s9 (6 on each side) it would be great.
Unit27 10:48 AM - 13 June, 2020
Quote:
hi, your mapping looks great!
small question: it is possible to map the fx serato buttons to have the 12 internal effects of the s9 (6 on each side) it would be great.

Thanks! Unfortunately, can't really incorporate the internal S9 FX with this workflow. The FX selection is done internally on the S9, there might be a way to change it from the computer but it's a more involved process than just mapping Serato, and selecting one of them cuts off signal to the Serato FX, so you can only use one internal FX at a time.
ron koss 11:08 AM - 13 June, 2020
Ok thank younfor the answer .
If i buy your mapping now , i will receveid the new version with toneplay ?
Unit27 11:33 AM - 13 June, 2020
Quote:
Ok thank younfor the answer .
If i buy your mapping now , i will receveid the new version with toneplay ?

Yeah, if you buy it, you get access to this and future updates. It comes with 3 versions of the mapping so you can pick the one that better suits your needs.
ron koss 12:58 PM - 13 June, 2020
Dope thank you .
Just have to put the xlm files one serato bakup ?
ron koss 1:40 PM - 13 June, 2020
It work thank you
Unit27 10:16 AM - 14 June, 2020
Quote:
It work thank you

Awesome, glad you got it to work.
funkyfresh2012 6:59 PM - 15 June, 2020
Unit27,
Does your mapping let the mode of the left side 8 pads be independent of the right side 8 pads.

Example: Left 8 are hot cues, right 8 are loop rolls (completely independent of the other) and I'm able to change the left 8 to be in any mode independent of the right 8.....
Unit27 1:46 PM - 16 June, 2020
Quote:
Unit27,
Does your mapping let the mode of the left side 8 pads be independent of the right side 8 pads.

Example: Left 8 are hot cues, right 8 are loop rolls (completely independent of the other) and I'm able to change the left 8 to be in any mode independent of the right 8.....

Yeah, that's the idea.

Just keep in mind it doesn't do every mode that's available on the S9 natively, and some modes work a bit differently. This is because I'm limited to what Serato's MIDI mapping lets us do. So there's no Slicer mode, Beat Jump and Loop Roll only do set values, and Hot Cue Mode doesn't display Serato's Hot Cue colors. Saved Loops mode requires you to have saved loops on your track, which can be done from the native Saved Loops mode, but mine lets you retrigger a loop from the start without holding shift.

I'll try my best to add functionality as methods to do it become available.
funkyfresh2012 3:50 AM - 18 June, 2020
Do you include free future updates if purchased?
Unit27 11:26 PM - 18 June, 2020
Quote:
Do you include free future updates if purchased?

Yeah, you'll be able to get the updates through the download link in the receipt email.
Angelo2019 9:16 PM - 30 June, 2020
hi,

i need help to set a modifier as "shift" button for using it with another modifier

i would set, for example, parameter buttons as "shift" and then press the first pad of the "hot cue mode" to enable "sampler mode" (on the same pads of the hot cue)

is it possible to midi map something like this ?

thanks
Unit27 6:20 PM - 1 July, 2020
Quote:
hi,

i need help to set a modifier as "shift" button for using it with another modifier

i would set, for example, parameter buttons as "shift" and then press the first pad of the "hot cue mode" to enable "sampler mode" (on the same pads of the hot cue)

thanks

I would not recommend mapping something directly to the Shift button, as it might interfere with the rest of the mixer's functionality.

In User Modes, when you hold Shift, the pads send a 2nd set of notes. You can use these notes to set modifier values. You could probably set a <condition> to check the value of a modifier, and use it to toggle between hot cues and samples.
Angelo2019 9:14 PM - 1 July, 2020
Quote:
Quote:
hi,

thanks

I would not recommend mapping something directly to the Shift button, as it might interfere with the rest of the mixer's functionality.

In User Modes, when you hold Shift, the pads send a 2nd set of notes. You can use these notes to set modifier values. You could probably set a <condition> to check the value of a modifier, and use it to toggle between hot cues and samples.

thanks for the answer.
No, I meant that I want to midi map a button as "Shift" (like a second shift)

I would try, if possible, to set the "Hot Cue" mode of the S9 as the independent pad mode.

For example, I would like to set the parameter button as a "second shift" (modifier) to use it for create different pad mode just using this mode

I don't know if is clear the idea