DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

How much do event DJs get paid in your city?

Rizzlo 9:50 PM - 16 January, 2020
Happy new year! Its 2020! seen a post about this but it was years old. wanted to get some updated info on an avg rate for bar/nightclub DJ Gigs.

Im a dj in south texas and the avg rate is about $150-$300. Private event are worth more (corporate, weddings, birthdays etc.)
DJ JulioYEG 2:57 AM - 17 January, 2020
I live in Canada specifically in Alberta.

in my city:
private events are at least 500
weddings are at least 800 but usually, in the 1200 range avg
clubs pay 150 - 200 ish but there are guys making 500 and around there. depends on how long you've been holding ur residencies down. Then there are the undercutters fucking up the game for everyone ..

Bars are were the moneys at paying 300 ish per night but the club gigs are the wanted ones. Super competitive and we keep our residencies close to us.
Logisticalstyles 1:55 PM - 17 January, 2020
In Atlanta the bar/lounge/restaurant scene pays between $150 and $300. Usually once you get past $200 they need you to bring something extra like a speaker or I've even seen some guys hauling out TVs for gigs paying in the $200 range. I believe the clubs here are paying a bit more but I generally don't do clubs much these days.
577er 4:53 PM - 17 January, 2020
In DC if your just starting out your going to get next to nothing. Proper club nights you host yourself you usually get half the door, club nights where you are an interchangeable resident varies widely (as do the “clubs”) $200 to $1000 or a bar %. Weddings $1200 to $2500ish depending on what services you provide (lighting, photo booth, decor). Mobile DJs for random events (not weddings where quality matters) $150 an hour or more. This last category is where you find a huge range of “DJing” from garbage to pretty good. Mostly garbage.
DJ Reflex 3:21 AM - 3 February, 2020
Rockford, IL area... Weddings go from $700 up to $2500 depending on "add-on" services.
The bar scene is pretty weak though. A few buddies of mine had me fill in at some local pubs for $100 a night. One place even made me buy my own burger!!! Their system is crap, the managers are idiots, and the place just isn't built for dancing. The garbage DJ's they do get can't mix. They just sit behind a laptop all night and play on their phones.

I do quite a few rentals and production events too. I'm still working on pricing, but am making money setting up sound and lights for cars shows, small festivals, Hooters calendar shows, and corporate events.