Serato Studio General Discussion

Talk about anything Serato Studio, music production, plugins and supported hardware

Bug: stopping playback during automation changes

Oli Griffiths 4:07 AM - 23 October, 2019
Hey

I have a weird bug that has happened several times and is super annoying. It happens when stopping playback during automation changes, and the changes are then applied to the deck as the defaults. For example, if I automate the volume to zero, and through some combination of changing the active scene and stopping playback, the automation changes apply to the decks defaults, and not just the open deck, ALL decks.

I've just had to reset the volume on all my decks because they all got zeroed during an automated volume cut.

I don't have exact reproduction steps but this has happened on multiple occasions, and applies to anything with automation on it, filter, eq, fx, etc.

I'm on OS X Mojave on 1.3.2 beta

Thanks
Serato, Forum Moderator
Phil C 10:17 PM - 23 October, 2019
Thanks Oli,

We'll take a look at this. I haven't been able to reproduce it in a very quick test but I'll keep at it. If you can possibly get to any exact reproduction steps it'd be a huge help if you could post them here.

Thanks again,
Phil
Oli Griffiths 1:31 AM - 1 November, 2019
Been trying to work out reproducible steps but so far failing, however this consistently keeps happening to me, it's VERY annoying having to reset filter/volume/eq all the time.
Oli Griffiths 2:22 AM - 28 December, 2019
Ok i worked out how to replicate this bug.

Make 2 scenes, one with automation on any control and one with none.
Start playing on the scene with automation, then whilst it's playing switch back to the non-automation scene and hit space bar to pause, notice the control remains at the value it was set to whilst being automated.

Made an example here www.dropbox.com

This bug is really frustrating when you have lots of things automated as you have to manually reset them all.
Oli Griffiths 9:44 PM - 28 April, 2020
@phil This is still happening and hugely frustrating, especially when there is automation on stuff that isn't obvious like fx or filter/eq. This is still happening frequently in the latest beta and causing me some serious irritations.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Phil C 9:53 PM - 28 April, 2020
Hi Oli,

I see clearly what you're explaining here - can you please confirm something for me:

If you were to push Play again after pausing while the parameter is showing the wrong value, does it reset the knob to the correct value?

If so, then what you are explaining is visually confusing because the parameter is displaying the last played level rather than the level that will be played if you push space bar. This means it's not simple to predict what will play, but at least the audio is correct?

Let me know.

Thanks for reporting, apologies I didn't get back to you earlier.
Phil
Oli Griffiths 9:54 PM - 28 April, 2020
Hi Phil,

No, if I hit play after hitting pause the knob stays at the previously automated value. This is why it is so annoying as my controls get all messed up and I have to manually go through and reset them all, which when you have lots of automation is very very tiresome.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Phil C 10:00 PM - 28 April, 2020
Ok wow, yeah that's not good at all.

I've not been able to reproduce this, for me it resets when I push space bar again.

I'll circulate this wider and we'll see if we can reproduce it.

Can you please confirm for me which version you are on (found in About Serato Studio in the top left)
Oli Griffiths 12:21 AM - 29 April, 2020
Hi Phil

I worked out how to reproduce this accurately. It happens when you're playing a scene with automation (not from the song view), then place the song view cursor on a scene with no automation, and whilst the dial is being automated, click the song play button so that the scene without the automation starts playing (from song view), and it inherits the current values for anything automated and is stuck that way.

Here's an example, this is reproducible every time.

www.dropbox.com

Here's the project:

www.dropbox.com

Hope this helps

Oli
Serato, Forum Moderator
Phil C 4:04 AM - 30 April, 2020
Hi Oli,

We've been able to reproduce this. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

The bug has been reported to the product team.

Phil
Oli Griffiths 12:50 PM - 30 April, 2020
Fantastic. I look forward to a fix.

Thanks

Oli
Oli Griffiths 1:17 AM - 2 May, 2020
Hey Phil

Just a note that this bug also happens when switching between scenes and NOT using the song viewer, but I'm not able to get reproducible steps, but it does happens frequently to me. Some combination of automation + spacebar to pause + switch scene + unpause makes it happen, not sure the specific order though.

Oli