Serato Studio General Discussion

Talk about anything Serato Studio, music production, plugins and supported hardware

SERATO STUDIO FEATURE REQUST FOR 1.3

ULTRA HYPNOTIQ 3:33 PM - 25 August, 2019
First, I would like to say I REALLY LOVE what you guys have created so far it's an awesome sketchpad soon to be fluid workstation!!!! Here are a few of my feature request:

1. Instead of holding down shift to solo make the always S icon visible and the mute (M) icon side by side on the deck.

2. Make the mutes and solo automatable and allow them to be written in from scene to scene.

3. I would like to see a vertical (mixing console-style) mixer window for faster blending and equalization, placement etc.

4. Note repeat like the MPC - 1/4 1/8 1/16 1/24 1/32 1/64 & X3 for each setting.

5. Note repeat with pitch control as well (not sure if this already exists in SS)?

6. Is there a transient slice mode in the sample deck? Example slice to region, transients or by bars.

7. Ability to zoom in on the sample waveform (fine zoom) for a more precise view to be exact when slicing samples? Also a pop up that shows up to 64 pads for an Ableton push style chop - helps when trying to find usable slices fast.

8. Export option to MP3 format.

9. Export to Ableton LIVE - ALS EXPORT to open the session in Ableton LIVE.

10. Make a built-in VARIFI (Like ProTools) for simple tape stop effects without drawing automation. VARIFI allows you to drag on the desired area for the time duration of the effect then automatically applies the effect. I have not seen any other DAWs have this for MAC.

11. Ability to set the scene length as low as a 16th note, or 1/8th or 1 bar.

12. Song Mode: Ability to play or record a sample deck or instrument deck throughout the entire song. For example, strings overlapping scenes.

13. The ability for users to create sound packs and share them online through a publish icon.

14. SS can identify the key a sample is in so could be assumed that for us non-playing people the next logical step would be to offer suggested chord mode (Generates Midi Chords) in key. This option would also offer inversions, genre style: neo-soul, pop, blues, jazz etc..

Okay, I know I am reaching on some of the last two items but I am really excited about the progression of Serato Studio. Thanks for the opportunity to be heard and possibly be a part of its development process.
ULTRA HYPNOTIQ 4:09 PM - 25 August, 2019
type o correction

1. Instead of holding down shift to solo make the S icon always visible and the mute (M) icon side by side on the deck.
ULTRA HYPNOTIQ 5:34 PM - 25 August, 2019
I do see in the slicer settings there is a region slicer, but I would still like to have by transient and by bar options.
DOC Pro 9:57 PM - 25 August, 2019
Excellent list... In addition, I would love to see the ability to analyze files in Serato Studio so that I can analyze my samples. Also, I would love to see the file structure captured as crates upon completion of analyzation.
ULTRA HYPNOTIQ 11:35 PM - 25 August, 2019
Reply about #7 on my list - duh I'm an idiot it's set up like Ableton zoom option to drag down to zoom in. Great job guys!!!
ULTRA HYPNOTIQ 11:43 PM - 25 August, 2019
@14 Type o correction .........

SS can identify the key a sample is in so I would assume that for us non-playing people the next logical step would be to offer suggested chord mode (Generates Midi Chords) in key. This option would also offer inversions, genre style: neo-soul, pop, blues, jazz etc..
ULTRA HYPNOTIQ 5:15 AM - 26 August, 2019
15. Bluetooth issue.......I just tried out the Bluetooth connection and it is not good at all, sounds muffled and low quality with very little volume, this is a fix that is needed.
ULTRA HYPNOTIQ 1:53 PM - 26 August, 2019
Any thoughts on the feature list from the Serato Studio Staff?
ULTRA HYPNOTIQ 11:38 AM - 7 September, 2019
ADD THIS TO THE LIST

15. 3rd party plug-in stability.

So many of the external plug-ins are crashing Serato Studio, we need stability in this area, please.

I can provide a list if needed.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 9:51 PM - 10 September, 2019
Hey ULTRA HYPNOTIQ,

Glad you're enjoying Studio and thanks for the feedback we really appreciate it! Let me touch on some of the things you've raised.

Quote:
1. Instead of holding down shift to solo make the S icon always visible and the mute (M) icon side by side on the deck.

Holding down Shift to access Solo isn't ideal, we agree. We're currently looking at some options to make this more accessible, one of which is to expose both Mute/Solo.

Quote:
2. Make the mutes and solo automatable and allow them to be written in from scene to scene.

We've been asked for this a few times so it's definitely on our radar. Perhaps something we can add in a future update.

Quote:
4. Note repeat like the MPC - 1/4 1/8 1/16 1/24 1/32 1/64 & X3 for each setting.

This has been another popular request that we would like to offer in an update.

Quote:
6. Is there a transient slice mode in the sample deck? Example slice to region, transients or by bars.

Not yet, currently Slicer will just set based off the BPM starting from your playhead position. Once we have added beatgrids, we would like to make the Slicer snap to the grid (or at least have this as an option). In the future we can look at additional Slicer options like Transients if they are still required.

Quote:
7. Ability to zoom in on the sample waveform (fine zoom) for a more precise view to be exact when slicing samples? Also a pop up that shows up to 64 pads for an Ableton push style chop - helps when trying to find usable slices fast.

You can currently zoom in on the Sample waveform by pressing the +/- keys on your keyboard (or using a mouse scroll wheel). Are you finding that you want to zoom in even further? Regarding 64 pads - our next steps here are to offer more Pads in Sample Deck. We might not jump to a full 64 just yet but we may get to this in the future. A question here - when we add more Pads, will it be important for you to SEE all of these pads at once on the screen? or would it be okay if they just work on your hardware and you use 'banks' in the Sample Deck to see them? We're just a little cautious about showing too many things on screen at once and making the software look too busy.

Quote:
8. Export option to MP3 format.

Happy to tell you we're working on this right now and it will be available very soon!

Quote:
9. Export to Ableton LIVE - ALS EXPORT to open the session in Ableton LIVE.

Another feature we've discussed a bit. Certainly something we'd like to consider in the future.

Quote:
11. Ability to set the scene length as low as a 16th note, or 1/8th or 1 bar.

I can see why you'd want 1 bar, but just out of curiosity what are you wanting to do with a Scene that is as small as a 16th note? Could this be something you achieve if Studio had Audio Tracks in Song View?

Quote:
14. SS can identify the key a sample is in so could be assumed that for us non-playing people the next logical step would be to offer suggested chord mode (Generates Midi Chords) in key. This option would also offer inversions, genre style: neo-soul, pop, blues, jazz etc..

We'd love a chord mode too! Certainly a possibility we'll look at in the future.

Quote:
15. Bluetooth issue.......I just tried out the Bluetooth connection and it is not good at all, sounds muffled and low quality with very little volume, this is a fix that is needed.

We have been getting a lot of reports of this so we will be investigating the issue to see how we can fix/improve it.

Quote:
Excellent list... In addition, I would love to see the ability to analyze files in Serato Studio so that I can analyze my samples. Also, I would love to see the file structure captured as crates upon completion of analyzation.

Both of these are things we would love to add in an update in the future.

Thanks again for the feedback, hope that helps a little. Most of these are certainly things that we are aware of an want to look at in the future :)
Mecboy21 12:17 AM - 11 September, 2019
I would love to see this become a vst program so we can use our daw to use external hardware effects and instruments and midi. This program is the best simple beat making program to me. So having that ability to bounce parts to audio, close the program and open a new one for more parts would be so perfect, best of both worlds. I’m a committed year long subscription holder. I believe in this product. Thanks
ULTRA HYPNOTIQ 6:08 AM - 11 September, 2019
QUOTE:
You can currently zoom in on the Sample waveform by pressing the +/- keys on your keyboard (or using a mouse scroll wheel). Are you finding that you want to zoom in even further? Regarding 64 pads - our next steps here are to offer more Pads in Sample Deck. We might not jump to a full 64 just yet but we may get to this in the future. A question here - when we add more Pads, will it be important for you to SEE all of these pads at once on the screen? or would it be okay if they just work on your hardware and you use 'banks' in the Sample Deck to see them? We're just a little cautious about showing too many things on the screen at once and making the software look too busy.

The zoom good as is, I didn't see the option at the time of my post then found it and using it with no problem now.

It is important we have a visual representation of the 64 sample chops, this also helps find samples that would not be selected. I understand not wanting to clutter the screen but having a popup window or it flips to a total full page with transport control would be a way to get it going.
ScottFree4All 6:46 PM - 10 December, 2019
I like everything I see so far. I also think the suggestions are great - but until I can use this as a VST - importing and exporting midi from SS, and also SS as a sound source - it is impractical for me to purchase. Please update this soon... I'll be waiting.
Kwenu 7:46 PM - 28 March, 2020
Chord Mode'll be dope.