DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Phono input sounds badly distorted

Djgaryr 10:23 AM - 9 March, 2019
I’m old school DJ using numark 1650 I need output from SL1 box to go into phono input in mixer , I use line in / phono switch to scratch , l bought line in to phono converter but it did nothing still sounds badly distorted need help
17tr2 3:57 PM - 9 March, 2019
You can't use more than 1 phono preamp in your system. Set your Sl1 to phono input. The output on the SL1 is line level, so you would treat it like any other source. Connect it to your mixer like its a CD player.

I'm assuming your phono cart is compatible with whatever equipment you are using.
dj_soo 9:02 PM - 9 March, 2019
Sl1 doesn’t have phono preamps.

So OP, you can’t really use the switcher as a transform switch if you want to use serato and vinyl.

Plug the output on the sl1 to line, plug the thru to phono. Sl1’s thru is a simple pass through. Absolutely no need for you to use an external preamp unless you want to play pass your mixers.
The Return of Dj Sparky 11:27 PM - 9 March, 2019
The sl1 does have phono pre amp's other wise how would it output a line signal, but you cannot make the sl1 output in phono it outputs in line signal
dj_soo 1:26 AM - 10 March, 2019
According to this: serato.com

There is a preamp to boost signal for the turntable, but no RIAA eq curve so it’s not technically a “phono preamp” the riaa curve was deemed unnecessary for the control tone.