Serato Sampler the sampler I've always wanted. 99.9999999%

functionform 9:32 PM - 25 June, 2018
Things it got perfect:
1. file for multiple immediate slicing.
2. easy filtering
3. some gentle compression to keep the levels appropriate
4. incredible builtin time stretching
5. multi out
6. automatic x crossing and micro fade in for where its not available.
7. a keyboard mode for instant pads

The ONLY thing it doesn't have is velocity sensitivity. PLEASE add velocity sensitivity and this product is perfect. I can't add ghost notes in complicated drum patterns. Mapping velocity to filters + or - would be super icing on the cake.

Anyway, thanks for this incredible product. It was literally an instant buy after I did the trial for 5 minutes. I've been through so many samplers looking for this product. I have sampler search ptsd. My journey started back in the 2000's lets put it that way. I've done hardware, software, free, paid, even looked into writing my own.

You understand me. You complete me. Never leave me.
functionform 9:34 PM - 25 June, 2018
And maybe portomento? Gotta take advantage of that beautiful stretching!
functionform 9:56 PM - 25 June, 2018
lastly, using this with Reaper, works fab.
functionform 4:26 AM - 26 June, 2018
did i mention workflow is instant? every other sampler is like 30 knobs and clicks to load one sound. for me thats the biggest feature win, with sound quality being the super close second.
Chino 8:25 PM - 28 June, 2018
Has anyone tried Serato Sample with Studio One, yet?

I'm in the process of upgrading some of my studio equipment & I would like to add Serato Sample.
Rumo76 9:53 PM - 24 October, 2018
It's really not...after you use it for a while (or immediately on using it in the right context) you find a lot of other stuff missing. It's limited enough that I rarely use it alone and usually need something else to supplement. Shit- at least 75% of the time, I'm ONLY using it to tell what pitch/time I want, recording it as a new sample, and getting the f out of serrato..... And If I'm wrong about any of these I'll be SO happy to be proved wrong

-Chops not custom assignable- are hard assigned to specific 'notes'. Ok for keys, but wtf for pads? There's not even a built in 'hard assign' that matches most basic 16 pad controllers which basically makes this useless for pad controllers.

-No loop playback when hunting/auditioning chops

-Drag/Drop doesn't work on Mac FL studio- not sure about other DAWs, but this is a huge pain.

- can't correct the detected bpm!!! It's wrong all the time- sometimes when there's nothing other than a drum break, how is that?? So sync is pointless in many cases- and you have to match the bpm yourself or use another tool.

-only 16 samples??....

-The interface is very simple- which is nice on the eyes, but not on the functionality. Assigning a chop that only plays a region is kind of clunky having to set the chop point and then drag out the region whether others will just let you drag a selection and create it fully in one hotkey.

-and..hotkeys?

I really wish I could find the "sampler I've always wanted". Slicex UI is ugly as shit, things like filtering, key/pitch change etc are a garbage UI experience- but actually hunting/auditioning/creating chops/regions has an extremely smooth workflow if you use hotkeys- you never have move your input device anywhere off the wavform for any of it.

Serato has an excellent UI design, and very simple key/pitch change, filtering etc- actually creating and playing back samples is just a pain imo. The only time I stay in Serato for the whole process is if I'm just using the sample as-is with no chops- or at most a few...

I'm still looking for the perfect sampler that gets both right. I did the whole alpha/beta and spent the ridiculous $99 bucks on this to keep giving it a shot hoping they would be taking customer feedback and continuously iterating on it to make it better. They couldn't say enough about all they were doing and wanting feedback in betas etc back before they were charging money. Now they have the money, and I'm not hearing a peep or seeing any significant updates....
functionform 8:08 AM - 6 February, 2022
Yeah I've raised my own bar since I wrote this. Speedrum by apisonic is a heck of a lot closer. Check them out.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 10:00 PM - 7 February, 2022
Hey guys!

Our goal with Serato Sample is always for it to prioritise workflow and speed over having a long list of options to tweak everything. Having said that we do continue to add new features and update it. Looking at some of the requests on this page I can see some have already been added :

Velocity - A Velocity Mode was added in version 1.2.
Glide/Portamento - A Glide knob was added in version 1.3, this lets you glide between notes while in Piano Roll mode.
Beatgrid/BPM editing - We've done a lot of work in this area in the past two releases. Including the ability to type in a 'correct BPM' if the analysed one is wrong.
32 Sample Pads - We doubled the number of Pads from 16 to 32 in version 1.2.

Regarding some of the other requests/feedback - this is really useful to hear. We have discussed most of these internally too. We read all feedback from Sample users as this helps us prioritise what to work on next. So thank you!

Cheers,
Logan.
Shawn Strong 2:19 AM - 10 February, 2022
Peace and blessings,

I love everything Serato Sample. I use NI Maschine mk3 as my beat-making modeule. I did notice that going through the parameters in Maschine, and there's no select all rotary other than what's on the SS GUI. Could this be updated/added to change that parameter via hardware device?

And would you guys be doubling the number of sample pads to 64 in the next update? That would be killer. Or, if that's not possible, to group multiple instances of SS and choke groups/samples like a regular sampler in any hardware.

It would also be dope to sample right into Serato Sample.

Thanks