Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Pioneer DDJ-1000 & Serato DJ

DJ MousE.ch 10:37 AM - 16 January, 2018
Hy, Pionner brings a new Controller called DDJ-1000. It will be a recordbox-Controller. Will this also works with Serato DJ or does there a simular new Controller come for use with Serato DJ?
pedro81 10:49 AM - 16 January, 2018
I hope Serato and Pioneer continued working toguether because us “Serato users” we dont want yo change the software .... we Love Serato. Pioneer is releasing amazing New products and i couldnt understand that you must use rekordbox dj if you want this controller.
playerz 11:34 AM - 16 January, 2018
Look trouble now........
DJ Tecniq 1:59 PM - 16 January, 2018
Rekordbox is competing software and i don’t see them having Serato support for this controller. It is cool but i highly doubt it.
Dj cuervo 4:31 PM - 16 January, 2018
Pioneer will only release devices that support Rekordbox soon. This is why Serato needs to unlock the soundcard. They will have no choice in the future to open it up.
KlausMogensen 8:01 AM - 17 January, 2018
Quote:
Pioneer will only release devices that support Rekordbox soon. This is why Serato needs to unlock the soundcard. They will have no choice in the future to open it up.

I agree. Serato needs the same openess as Traktor and Virtual DJ if they want to keep their position in the marked
Dj cuervo 2:13 PM - 17 January, 2018
They can do it with a subscription module and I would paid for it to be more flexible. I believe it will be a win /win for both parties. More revenue for Serato to help in development and more flexibility for the djs.
DJ Marv the Maverick 2:53 PM - 17 January, 2018
The only challenge I see with opening it up for unofficial devices will be support.

If you pay money for freedom to use it with any device who do you go to WHEN not IF there are issues.

Quote:
They can do it with a subscription module and I would paid for it to be more flexible. I believe it will be a win /win for both parties. More revenue for Serato to help in development and more flexibility for the djs.
KlausMogensen 12:28 AM - 18 January, 2018
Quote:
The only challenge I see with opening it up for unofficial devices will be support.

If you pay money for freedom to use it with any device who do you go to WHEN not IF there are issues.

Quote:

Just devide the hw into groups of support. The natively supported ones are the ones with a Serato stamp on them, where Serato tells you that everything will work and you can get official help for them. The others are based on forum support, and Serato will post general help, but most help and support comes from other users
KlausMogensen 12:33 AM - 18 January, 2018
Quote:

Yes that's really a thing. Serato will probably need a new business model for this to work and keep making them money. It's very different from the business model of being the software in the box
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:39 AM - 18 January, 2018
Then they will need to make the code available for users no?

If at all they do consider this i reckon a totally different name for said open product , different forum etc. The only similarly will be said product can read Serato DJ database.

On the flip Mixx is free open source dj software and I don't know anyone using it

But I bet you, if people have to pay for "Serato Open" they will expect support irrespective of any disclaimer. Consumer protection laws will also ensure that.

I don't think it will be a profitable venture but I could be wrong.
KlausMogensen 12:43 AM - 18 January, 2018
Not really open. You can map new hardware to both Traktor and Virtual DJ. So it's really only an open API and mapping/scripting language that's needed. The software itself can still be closed
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:46 AM - 18 January, 2018
Quote:
Not really open. You can map new hardware to both Traktor and Virtual DJ. So it's really only an open API and mapping/scripting language that's needed. The software itself can still be closed

Makes sense.

Time will tell

Evolve or Die.
dj_spark 4:31 PM - 16 April, 2018
You'd better do it in HID / script if you can because in midi the performance doesn't compare.
www.instagram.com
So Fresh 4:44 PM - 16 April, 2018
is it really that difficult for pioneer to open this up for Serato?

the S9 went the other way so they could do it if they wanted to but choose not to or am i missing something.

They would sell so many more units
So Fresh 4:57 PM - 16 April, 2018
I've been having mad trouble with my dj 808 on my second one and its been back 3 times and its back again:(

I love the unit but need it to work so have been looking at options and it's going back to mixer set with a 72 or another controller, the only one that catches my eye is the DDJ-1000 apart the from rekordbox switch

1st work problem i guess
DJ Tecniq 5:19 PM - 16 April, 2018
What is wrong with your 808?
So Fresh 5:34 PM - 16 April, 2018
first one was channel 4 up fader drop out at the top if that makes any sense, you had to give it a wiggle and it would come back- they replaced the fader but the problem remained so they replaced it

the second one was channel 2 same thing + the deck would stop working so i would have to jump over to another channel - reboot fixed the transport control but the intermittent audio drop on channel 2 is just not workable.

It just went back again so I'm speaking to the shop about options and to be fair they have been really helpful as they can see I've lost faith.

Such a shame because I love the feel - I'm not really using the TR as much as I would like and to be honest the 4 decks either apart from back up mentioned above. I'm starting to realise I'm more of AB scatch kind of guy so 4 decks is a bit wasted on me but the 505 not having the platter indicators puts me off that.
dj_spark 5:34 PM - 16 April, 2018
Quote:
is it really that difficult for pioneer to open this up for Serato?

the S9 went the other way so they could do it if they wanted to but choose not to or am i missing something.

They would sell so many more units

The goal for the DDJ-1000 is to get traction to Rekordbox, they are probably selling it with minimal profits just for the sake of capturing new comers.
So Fresh 5:38 PM - 16 April, 2018
good point!

just wish they wouldn't:)

I've been with Serato since SL1 so really hard to let go
dj_spark 5:50 PM - 16 April, 2018
I did a little hack, but unfortunately the midi mode is not as slick as the hid !
youtu.be
DJ Tecniq 6:01 PM - 16 April, 2018
Quote:
first one was channel 4 up fader drop out at the top if that makes any sense, you had to give it a wiggle and it would come back- they replaced the fader but the problem remained so they replaced it

the second one was channel 2 same thing + the deck would stop working so i would have to jump over to another channel - reboot fixed the transport control but the intermittent audio drop on channel 2 is just not workable.

It just went back again so I'm speaking to the shop about options and to be fair they have been really helpful as they can see I've lost faith.

Such a shame because I love the feel - I'm not really using the TR as much as I would like and to be honest the 4 decks either apart from back up mentioned above. I'm starting to realise I'm more of AB scatch kind of guy so 4 decks is a bit wasted on me but the 505 not having the platter indicators puts me off that.
Wow this makes me feel more confident in my choice of a Pioneer deck instead of Roland. I thought Roland would be a solid company but this sounds like a nightmare.
So Fresh 6:48 PM - 16 April, 2018
It’s not been Great but 1st gen I guess

Roland have been very good with customer support so no complaints there.

I might be unlucky because not that many people have been complaining,
Philmixit 10:22 AM - 17 April, 2018
Pedro81,

I say the same thing, why if I need a Controller that I like ,I have to be force to use the software
that comes with it, sorry Pioneer, I am a SERATO USER.
lofty 10:46 AM - 17 April, 2018
Quote:
Pedro81,

I say the same thing, why if I need a Controller that I like ,I have to be force to use the software
that comes with it, sorry Pioneer, I am a SERATO USER.

But why the stubbornness not to try other software - or change ?
I've tried every dj software - from BPM studio, mixmeistr , final scratch, virtual , dj pro, Serato and rekordbox
All have their good and bad
I jumped on rekordbox a few years ago
There was no learning curve. It was just stable and had buttery smooth waveforms
Yes the video plugin is meh ,,, but it works for the few gigs I need it
Some people say you can't have mixed media playlist on rekordbox - actually you can and it's really easy to do !

Those worried about cues and such - honestly it takes 10 seconds when loading a track to put In a few cues and loops

I got the ddj 1000 and it's amazing! The whole thing is sweet. It's really nice to play on.
DJ Marv the Maverick 11:19 AM - 17 April, 2018
Quote:

Some people say you can't have mixed media playlist on rekordbox - actually you can and it's really easy to do !

How did you do this?
mixgoonie 11:26 AM - 17 April, 2018
How did he perform the hack with editing the text file ?

Just curious to modify the mapping with function that currently doesn't exist.
lofty 1:10 PM - 17 April, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

How did you do this?

Just use a pre video (4.1.2) version of rekordbox to load MP4
Then when you open the current (5.2) your MP4 have the same attribute as mp3 :)

It's actually really easy

Here is a video I did of how to do it

youtu.be

Cheers
So Fresh 1:29 PM - 17 April, 2018
I DON"T know what to do!

amazingly they are willing to give me full credit on my dj 808

but what do I get it

DDJ 1000 - stuck with Rekord box which I'm not really into
72 + phase - lose the convenience of a controller and have to pay a lot on top
or replacement 808 which will be my third so not very confident.

Pro's an cons with all of them