Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato DJ 1.99 just released lol

DjSyndic8 7:24 AM - 10 October, 2017
Serato DJ 1.99 just got released
Video Watchwww.youtube.com
Just for these 2 controllers
Roland DJ-202 Support
Roland DJ-505 Support

nothing else so is it worth updating or just stick to 1.98?

also is the next update going to be Serato DJ 1.99.2 ..... lol
mixgoonie 1:54 PM - 10 October, 2017
Serato probably think they don't need new features...
NUdisc0 2:02 PM - 10 October, 2017
Hey at least we know that Serato is still in business...
Victor Matyjasik 4:55 PM - 10 October, 2017
Very disappointed of this patchnote, I dont know if I'm alone in this situation but when I used traktor my mixes sounded much smoother & better, maybe its just me i dont know. Some things in the serato interface suck like it looks cheap software and have to be fixed. I use 144Hertz on my computer monitor (which means 144 frames per second), meanwhile Serato only allows 60 frames per second, so its just awful for me to mix, the spectrum gives me headaches, it looks laggy as fuck, this have to be fixed, I have also noticed a problem Serato stop reacting sometimes you have to put fullscreen on and off to make it work again, some annoying little details like that, For example when you press your cue points, I noticed if you dont press it already once before it will not jump to it properly, it will skip the very beginning of the first beat, Serato has very good potential but why dont u fix this kind of stuff ? Thats just little things so easy to fix that make your software looks cheap and less user-friendly, it is sad because you could do a way better one with the less effort, trust me. Serato have also big issues with its gain I guess, I never had so many parasites with traktor when I was doing my mixes on it, Peace =)
mixgoonie 5:01 PM - 10 October, 2017
Transitions in Traktor has always been less smooth than Serato to my opinion...

But I agree that in terms of features, Traktor is ages in advance
Victor Matyjasik 5:05 PM - 10 October, 2017
alright bud maybe I should start to use the crossfader again I guess, Im mixing with only EQ's for transitions didnt have any pb on traktor til I go serato ^^
HESCHY 8:16 PM - 10 October, 2017
hi

I also have the feeling that Serato is standing...
I have reported a bug in SDJ 1.9.6 which is still not fixed.

We'll see what happens, I'd like to stay with SDJ....
Dj cuervo 9:42 PM - 10 October, 2017
There are not going to release anything big until Winter NAMM!!! They may do a public beta on the week of it. I believe are working on opening up the platform more with a new licensing module. I'm a developer by trade but I work more with QA now. If I was doing it... the system would register the supported hardware and create a license key for that hardware once it is connected. This key will be stored with your PC/MAC address on your Serato account. Any other hardware that meets the soundcard requirements will require the user to purchase a license to activate the software. Serato is only software they require the users to purchase support hardware. Traktor, VDJ, and Rekordbox have adopted the licensing module more than the supported hardware module. Serato... There are a ton of people who will pay a king ransom for this soundcard freedom!!! Let make this a reality in 2018!!!! Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NUdisc0 1:50 AM - 11 October, 2017
NI and Serato are both slacking. Just to to the traktor forum and it all bitchn' and moaning there. If all fails, go back to CDJs, USB sticks or real vinyl.
DjSyndic8 2:16 AM - 11 October, 2017
Quote:
There are not going to release anything big until Winter NAMM!!! They may do a public beta on the week of it. I believe are working on opening up the platform more with a new licensing module. I'm a developer by trade but I work more with QA now. If I was doing it... the system would register the supported hardware and create a license key for that hardware once it is connected. This key will be stored with your PC/MAC address on your Serato account. Any other hardware that meets the soundcard requirements will require the user to purchase a license to activate the software. Serato is only software they require the users to purchase support hardware. Traktor, VDJ, and Rekordbox have adopted the licensing module more than the supported hardware module. Serato... There are a ton of people who will pay a king ransom for this soundcard freedom!!! Let make this a reality in 2018!!!! Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i dunno if serato is going to this extreme
Prestoe 7:04 AM - 11 October, 2017
Quote:
NI and Serato are both slacking. Just to to the traktor forum and it all bitchn' and moaning there. If all fails, go back to CDJs, USB sticks or real vinyl.

Besides the name Virtual DJ is superior in every way really..
DjSyndic8 8:34 AM - 11 October, 2017
Quote:

Agree to Disagree
DJ Tecniq 9:47 PM - 11 October, 2017
Just fix echo out lol going on 5 years now...🤷🏼‍♂️
DjSyndic8 10:22 PM - 11 October, 2017
Quote:

I agree I would love to use echo out when its fixed..... my workaround at the moment is is using auto loop 1 beat and cross fade out manually :)
Prestoe 4:37 AM - 12 October, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Agree to Disagree

Would love to hear what you don't like about VDJ
DjSyndic8 5:26 AM - 12 October, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Agree to Disagree

just past experience with the older version of VDJ just didn't feel professional and the sound quality was crap but I am keen on trying out the VDJ8 with the ddj sx2 and see how that goes
Prestoe 6:31 AM - 12 October, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Agree to Disagree

just past experience with the older version of VDJ just didn't feel professional and the sound quality was crap but I am keen on trying out the VDJ8 with the ddj sx2 and see how that goes

Fair call. Definately give the new version a go, i've been using it on and off for 16 years and it has come a long way.

Leagues ahead of Serato

I do believe the price has come a long way too unfortunately
R-A-C 8:04 AM - 12 October, 2017
Quote:
Besides the name Virtual DJ is superior in every way really

except for the sound. compared to traktor and even more so compared to serato vdj is a tin-can. and v8 didn't change that.
v@l 1:05 PM - 13 October, 2017
Echo Out Please And coloured eq function to show the waveforms change colour on my Numark Nv2 screens when the eq is adjusted low mid hi's like it dose on my laptop in serato dj thanks!
GusGomez 1:34 PM - 13 October, 2017
TBH I want to give Pioneer Rekordbox a go so badly its just a pain to get their Control Vinyl but I'm willing to give it a go I heard pretty good things about it.
NUdisc0 2:36 AM - 14 October, 2017
I want an option on Serato to hide waveforms, bpm info, key and other unnecessary information.
DjSyndic8 3:12 AM - 14 October, 2017
Quote:
I want an option on Serato to hide waveforms

its possible its called Library Mode,

Quote:
I want an option on Serato to hide waveforms, bpm info, key and other unnecessary information.

this is also possible under your Tab menu choose to show Bpm info, Key, etc or dont show it just tick or untick what you need to show
iamdjrt 2:38 AM - 15 October, 2017
think they should add a bpm rescan as in if u change ur bpm of a song u can rescan it to the orignal bpm.. :) they new stuff should be added
iamdjrt 2:39 AM - 15 October, 2017
Quote:
think they should add a bpm rescan as in if u change ur bpm of a song u can rescan it to the orignal bpm.. :) think little more new stuff should be added
DJ Tecniq 2:59 AM - 15 October, 2017
I'm tired of Serato always getting bpm's wrong...had no idea MJ's the way you make me feel is like 86 bpm🤷🏼‍♂️ And pitbull Calle Ocho is never 128 bpm like it should be. It's those little frustrating things I've begun to just lock the files😕
mixgoonie 6:55 AM - 15 October, 2017
Double press on the BPM in the library and write 128, BPM changed
DJ Tecniq 7:54 AM - 15 October, 2017
Quote:
I do but the bpm mysteriously changes back so had to end up locking them.
DjSyndic8 8:56 AM - 15 October, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
I do but the bpm mysteriously changes back so had to end up locking them.

thats the only way to do it is to lock the files DJ Tecniq I find it annoying when Trap music ends up being 130pm when they are actually 64 or 65bpm
Bornd Fono 1:25 AM - 16 October, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
think they should add a bpm rescan as in if u change ur bpm of a song u can rescan it to the orignal bpm.. :) think little more new stuff should be added

This is already implemented. Just "drag & drop" a file from a list on the "Analyse Files" button and it will be re-scanned and the bpm value the algorithm determines and NOT the value you changed it manually into will get written as the bpm value of the track.
Prestoe 2:03 AM - 16 October, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Besides the name Virtual DJ is superior in every way really

except for the sound. compared to traktor and even more so compared to serato vdj is a tin-can. and v8 didn't change that.

I know what you mean, the defaults for VDJ are shocking if you have high end mixer etc.

A few performance option changes fixes that.
DJ JulioYEG 2:33 AM - 16 October, 2017
Quote:
Very disappointed of this patchnote, I dont know if I'm alone in this situation but when I used traktor my mixes sounded much smoother & better, maybe its just me i dont know. Some things in the serato interface suck like it looks cheap software and have to be fixed. I use 144Hertz on my computer monitor (which means 144 frames per second), meanwhile Serato only allows 60 frames per second, so its just awful for me to mix, the spectrum gives me headaches, it looks laggy as fuck, this have to be fixed, I have also noticed a problem Serato stop reacting sometimes you have to put fullscreen on and off to make it work again, some annoying little details like that, For example when you press your cue points, I noticed if you dont press it already once before it will not jump to it properly, it will skip the very beginning of the first beat, Serato has very good potential but why dont u fix this kind of stuff ? Thats just little things so easy to fix that make your software looks cheap and less user-friendly, it is sad because you could do a way better one with the less effort, trust me. Serato have also big issues with its gain I guess, I never had so many parasites with traktor when I was doing my mixes on it, Peace =)

lmaooooo ive never heard of these issues except for the auto gainbeing to hot sometimes prolly just ur computer that needs a upgrade
DJ JulioYEG 2:36 AM - 16 October, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I agree I would love to use echo out when its fixed..... my workaround at the moment is is using auto loop 1 beat and cross fade out manually :)

i just filter out when i echo out
R-A-C 3:19 AM - 16 October, 2017
Quote:
I know what you mean, the defaults for VDJ are shocking if you have high end mixer etc.

A few performance option changes fixes that.

not at all. i used all available settings. unless you mean something different
Victor Matyjasik 3:43 AM - 16 October, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

lmaooooo ive never heard of these issues except for the auto gainbeing to hot sometimes prolly just ur computer that needs a upgrade

lmao u think I need a new computer ? I run modern games to 300 fps I refreshed my computer recently have i7 6700k and stuff .. rofl ..

Serato is just shit men I'll quit for going back to traktor. When I was a noob years ago I didnt have a controller, I was mixing with my computer mouse,I started on traktor, then I went on serato because I bought a pioneer controller, since then my mixes just sound distorted, im putting a mapping to go back on traktor, I dont know if you guys have bad hearing or whatever but the clipping u get while recording with Serato its SO BAD (I have DDJ-SR), Im already aware of all settings that can cause a distorsion, I wasted hours & hours of researches and mixing with different settings & etc etc, dont tell me it comes from my DJ skills, it comes from Serato, I record only internally with heapdhones only and for god sake my mixes sound so shitty with Serato, I bought you so many products im so ashamed to have given so much money to this terrible software of shit
R-A-C 3:51 AM - 16 October, 2017
Quote:
I dont know if you guys have bad hearing or whatever but the clipping u get while recording with Serato its SO BAD (I have DDJ-SR), Im already aware of all settings that can cause a distorsion, I wasted hours & hours of researches and mixing with different settings & etc etc, dont tell me it comes from my DJ skills, it comes from Serato, I record only internally with heapdhones only and for god sake my mixes sound so shitty with Serato

did you try recording the classic way i.e. mixer output to soundcard and record with another program?
Victor Matyjasik 4:05 AM - 16 October, 2017
I didnt bud, I just found the post of a guy comparing traktor and Serato with the same hardware and its confirmed, if you guys record internally, leave Serato, its awful, the sound is not clear & the bass is aggressive with no feels. Its been months im trying to fix the quality of my mixes or figuring out why but no matter what I try it will never fix

here is link of the guy's comparaison (I thank him with all my heart^^)

whitelabel.net

he is so right when he says serato is for people with bad hearing, I can tell by my own, some people have honey stucked in their ears.
Victor Matyjasik 4:10 AM - 16 October, 2017
His conclusion "So I have concluded:

1.) I'm sticking with SSL 2.5 because it sounds noticeably better. Not to mention things like echo effects are STILL distorted and not fixed jn Serato DJ 1.7.2 Beta.

2.) Pioneer's portable controllers (SX/SR) sound noticeably worse than Serato DJ with an SL3 or V7 on a DJM-900. Being as Serato DJ already sounds worse than SSL, and these controllers sounding even worse, I don't see how people are ok with this.

I don't understand why we're moving backwards instead of forwards in SQ with Serato DJ.

Hope my testing helps someone and perhaps the Serato could chime in as well. (Yes, all devices had the latest firmwares updated, and both laptops had clean installs of Mavericks and SSL/DJ only w/ latest drivers.)"
R-A-C 6:05 AM - 16 October, 2017
Quote:

1.) I'm sticking with SSL 2.5 because it sounds noticeably better.

it does indeed. i've actually tested that a bit more precisely: serato.com

Quote:
2.) Pioneer's portable controllers (SX/SR) sound noticeably worse than Serato DJ with an SL3

and that not only applies to pioneer controllers

Quote:
on a DJM-900.

and that's his mistake, the pioneer mixers are not great themselves but his results are right anyway. doing this test with a good mixer makes the differences even greater.

Quote:
Being as Serato DJ already sounds worse than SSL, and these controllers sounding even worse, I don't see how people are ok with this.

me neither but since day one all-in-one controllers sold like hot cakes.

Quote:
I don't understand why we're moving backwards instead of forwards in SQ with Serato DJ.

we're not. sdj's output is identical with itch (see my linked test above). that is because at first sdj was itch's successor. taking over from ssl only came later so ssl doesn't actually have a successor.
mixgoonie 9:24 AM - 16 October, 2017
Quote:

1.) I'm sticking with SSL 2.5 because it sounds noticeably better. Not to mention things like echo effects are STILL distorted and not fixed jn Serato DJ 1.7.2 Beta.

2.) Pioneer's portable controllers (SX/SR) sound noticeably worse than Serato DJ with an SL3 or V7 on a DJM-900. Being as Serato DJ already sounds worse than SSL, and these controllers sounding even worse, I don't see how people are ok with this.

Hope my testing helps someone and perhaps the Serato could chime in as well. (Yes, all devices had the latest firmwares updated, and both laptops had clean installs of Mavericks and SSL/DJ only w/ latest drivers.)"

I heard lot of good about Denon controller (Mcx 7000/8000) and the SR2 too. I don't think we can say all controllers sound like shit...

Did someone compared the famous SL series reputated to sound really good with recent high controller other than Pioneer ?
Victor Matyjasik 10:16 AM - 16 October, 2017
Men, listen to the last mix I posted on soundcloud (DDJ-SR + Serato DJ, WITH OPTIMAL SETTINGS)

soundcloud.com

Now listen to one of the mix I did when I was a noob on Traktor (I didnt even have a controller for this), see how it just sounds x3 better ?

soundcloud.com

Its ridiculous, I had way better quality without even a controller and on traktor.

Seratoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo yahewwwwwwwwwwwww representttt take all ur money and rest in peace to your mixes yaho000

I am not even sure I configured traktor correctly, its a very old mix, can u see the difference ? The traktor one is just x3 better (audio quality)
Victor Matyjasik 10:19 AM - 16 October, 2017
I forgot to mention im not even sure the files of the traktor mix were 320kbps, it may even be a 192kbps mix, still outstanding comparing to Serato one with wav and best mp3 qualities.

ITS TIME TO LEAVE THIS SERATO SHIT BOYS
Victor Matyjasik 10:21 AM - 16 October, 2017
Also forgot to mention i never go above 100 plays per mix I post since I used serato, when I was using traktor and was bad it always hit 1000, aint it a problem ? with years of practicing difference, lul (sry men for all these posts but u have to realize it, serato ruined my potential for so long.
Victor Matyjasik 10:26 AM - 16 October, 2017
Im not here to put down Serato DJ but REALLY MEN if you use like DDJ-SR OR DDJ-SX dont waste your fucking money, this combinaison + serato DJ will just sound like a cheap crap. For a 700€ controller its a fukin scam lets be honest (maybe and surely most advanced & more expensive stuff work well with serato, but if you buy mid-end material never use serato with it its just sh!t

peace =)
mixgoonie 10:31 AM - 16 October, 2017
Funny, i don't personally prefere traktor sound since Serato sound closer to the songs tran Traktor.

I don't like Traktor sounding louder and a bit harder with the basses.

Now you should not compare internal recording because both are making an internal recording which has nothing to do with the soundcard quality.

That is by the way a request we have seen lot of times, improve the recording quality, because this in an internal recording and you could have an excellent sound with Serato with a crappy internal recording.
Victor Matyjasik 10:34 AM - 16 October, 2017
I listen the same musical genre since years aswell and I know all my songs on the top of my fingers, I dont even enjoy listening the mixes I did with serato, the songs just look like hard electronic, bass clipping, theres no depth, it doesnt create feeling, its like a volontary boosted electronic flat boring ass thing, everything is bad, cant hear details properly, just a bass clipping on a song that is already ruined.. sry for flood men but i got mad tbh
Victor Matyjasik 10:39 AM - 16 October, 2017
Maybe it has to do with the musical genre aswell I dont know

i listen only progressivetrance/psytrance (not mainstream prog) which is bass oriented
mixgoonie 10:47 AM - 16 October, 2017
I do listen to the same style, deep house, trance, progressive...
Victor Matyjasik 10:51 AM - 16 October, 2017
Quote:
I do listen to the same style, deep house, trance, progressive...

have a listen on the mix I posted, its not regular trance, its not deep house or "regular trance" u find on youtube
mixgoonie 11:28 AM - 16 October, 2017
As i told you, don't record internally as it sounds mostly better even on low end controllers. Record externally with a DAW and another soundcard.

But i agree with the fact that there is room for improvement on the sound "color" of Serato, it could be a bit close to the original track with a wider sound.

SDJ when compared to the original track sound with less stereo image and high a bit more boosted.
Victor Matyjasik 11:47 AM - 16 October, 2017
yes, exactly. nice description

but I already bought a DDJ-SR, Serato with at least 3 extensions pack, I wont throw money now for a new soundcard, fuck this shit

im installing a traktor mapping hope i'll not get bugs or whatever

thx for ur time bud
mixgoonie 11:48 AM - 16 October, 2017
Corrected version below since i cannot edit below post.

As i told you, don't record internally as it sounds mostly better even on low end controllers than the internal recorder.

Record externally with a DAW and another soundcard.

But i agree with the fact that there is room for improvement on the sound "color" of Serato, it could be a bit closer to the original track with a wider sound and less harsh high frequencies.
R-A-C 4:26 PM - 16 October, 2017
Quote:
Men, listen to the last mix I posted on soundcloud (DDJ-SR + Serato DJ, WITH OPTIMAL SETTINGS)

soundcloud.com

Now listen to one of the mix I did when I was a noob on Traktor (I didnt even have a controller for this), see how it just sounds x3 better ?

soundcloud.com

i downloaded both and had a look. the most obvious difference is that the "progressive offbeat" mix is much louder. the average rms difference is around 8.1db. it has also been limited which should never happen with a recording until the very last step of the post processing (which you didn't do if i understand your post correctly). so from the technical perspective the "happy frequency" recording is better.
of course that doesn't say anything about the quality of what's been recorded. however for a useful comparison the same tracks should be used of course.

either way i edited your "happy frequency" recording and matched its loudness to the other one. by that you can do a proper comparison.
i also happen to have one of the tracks you played. as an additional example and object for further comparisons i played that track with ssl through an sl4 and a rodec mixer and recorded that back through the sl4.
i uploaded a package with both files to there:
mega.nz / #!UXoFDTjY!2CONbmhJ2h23_xw5tUNzBWdubi4i8wZ3qAhPxNNzxAc

you have to remove the spaces from the url. i had to add them because it wouldn't show up right otherwise.
Victor Matyjasik 5:03 AM - 17 October, 2017
Awesome! Im downloading lemme check this and thank you for your time bud appreciate a lot :)

The older mix I did it like years ago and reuploaded it I had no knowledge at this time I think if I remake it today would be so much better :d (volume & quality^^)

Also I think I didnt have any 320kbps file for this one, only 128 or 196 lul

Ive started to complain because when I was terrible my mixes were more enjoyable with the less knowledge/skills, so I assumed there was a problem lol, I tried to fix so much things its crazy, i tryharded tryharded tryharded. But finally I realize I dont like how serato play my songs, I cant get a lot of feels when I listen the mixes I do on serato :/ meanwhile when I was on Traktor I loved my life haha

(I still didnt listen yet its downloading)
Victor Matyjasik 5:16 AM - 17 October, 2017
@R-A-C

bro thank you so much for your files, u really helped me there
it makes me confirm SL>Serato so far (for my ears at least :D)
it sounds so much better, no clipping like serato, Im switching software
thxthx<3
R-A-C 5:53 AM - 17 October, 2017
glad it helped :-)
Victor Matyjasik 7:58 AM - 17 October, 2017
@R-A-C

omg bro Im using my DDJ-SR with traktor for first time =) it is sooooooooooooo much better what the fuk I ll start my session soon I'll post you recorded mix once finished :D
mixgoonie 8:19 AM - 17 October, 2017
Don't record internally as said, Traktor sound exactly the same in their recording quality no matter which hardware you have.

I have recently upgraded to a Numark N4 but between both Traktor and Serato, i prefer much more Serato.

Traktor sound a bit louder with a but harder bass, you like it or not ;)
mixgoonie 8:19 AM - 17 October, 2017
Some people also liked a lot the Djay Pro sound, which is way wider and a bit louder + more fat basses.

Again, you like it or not ;)
NUdisc0 4:27 PM - 18 October, 2017
worth $1.99