Serato Sample General Discussion

Talk about Serato Sample

Help please!

dj.bigdes 6:22 PM - 3 September, 2017
I'm running Serato Sample on my Machine, and everything was good while I was using the trial version. Now that I've paid, I'm having some issues. When I use Serato Sample to manipulate a sample and create a beat, everything is all good. However, when I go back to a beat that I saved, the plugin won't load properly. I just get a blank grey screen for where the plugin should be. Everything still sounds fine, but I just can't see anything. Please help!
Scott S 10:30 PM - 3 September, 2017
Hi dj.bigdes, can you please upload a screenshot to dropbox or cloud drive of what you're seeing? Make sure all your graphics card drivers are up to date.

Regards
dj.bigdes 9:24 PM - 4 September, 2017
Hi Scott,

My drivers are are up to date. Here's a pic of what I'm seeing. I noticed two things since I created this post. The problem is intermittent, but happens more times than not. Also, I can get the problem to occur simply by hitting the button to pop the plugin window back in, then trying to reopen it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

drive.google.com
Scott S 10:05 PM - 4 September, 2017
Hi dj.bigdes, thanks for the update and the screenshot - we're investigating this now.

If you try clicking around the grey screen, are you able to activate any buttons or click any objects? Does it seem like the functions are still operating behind the grey screen?

Regards
Scott S 10:26 PM - 4 September, 2017
Quote:
The problem is intermittent, but happens more times than not. Also, I can get the problem to occur simply by hitting the button to pop the plugin window back in, then trying to reopen it.

Also when you say that the problem is intermittent, do you mean that sometimes you can close the window and re-open without an issue? Or every time you close the window and re-open the problem occurs?
Scott S 10:28 PM - 4 September, 2017
I've also noticed you've got Reason on your computer - does the issue happen in Reason too?
dj.bigdes 9:16 PM - 5 September, 2017
Quote:
Hi dj.bigdes, thanks for the update and the screenshot - we're investigating this now.

If you try clicking around the grey screen, are you able to activate any buttons or click any objects? Does it seem like the functions are still operating behind the grey screen?

Regards


Nothing happens when I try clicking. The only thing that'll work is closing it out.
dj.bigdes 9:19 PM - 5 September, 2017
Oh also, when I play a beat, everything that I played/programmed will still play just fine. I just can't see anything.
dj.bigdes 9:23 PM - 5 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
The problem is intermittent, but happens more times than not. Also, I can get the problem to occur simply by hitting the button to pop the plugin window back in, then trying to reopen it.

Also when you say that the problem is intermittent, do you mean that sometimes you can close the window and re-open without an issue? Or every time you close the window and re-open the problem occurs?


Correct, I've been able to close out and successfully reopen a few times.

Also, in response to your other question...I haven't tried it on Reason because it's a really old version.
Scott S 9:42 PM - 5 September, 2017
Thanks. What version of Maschine and OS X are you running?
dj.bigdes 11:49 PM - 5 September, 2017
Quote:
Thanks. What version of Maschine and OS X are you running?


I'm running version 2.6.8 of Maschine, and my OS is 10.11.6

Hey Scott, I appreciate you trying to help me work through this!!
Scott S 10:48 PM - 6 September, 2017
Thanks dj.bigdes, we're still trying to figure out why this could be happening. It's very interesting that the problem is intermitant for you and not happening every time. Typically, a grey/blank screen issue is a result of an incompatible graphics card or incorrect graphics driver, but it seems you have all the correct drivers installed as well as running on supported Operating System and Maschine versions.

I'd really like to confirm if you get this issue using another DAW. If you're unable to use Reason since it's an old version, would it be possible to download the Free Trial of Ableton Live, just to test if this is an issue using this DAW? If you've got some time to test this for me, you can download a free Ableton trial here > www.ableton.com

Also, do you have the AU installed or the VST? Do you notice any different behaviour when using the AU vs the VST inside Maschine? Try installing both and see if one of them works better than the other.

We'll let you know if we make any discoveries around this issue - thanks for being patient while we investigate this!

I also see you're dealing with Rui K from Serato Support. You probably don't need to continue that correspondence and can reply directly to me here :) I have passed all your info onto the Serato Sample development team.

Kind regards,
dj.bigdes 7:56 PM - 9 September, 2017
Hey Scott, I did a bunch of messing around the last few days, and I think I've finally figured it out!! It appears that the issue happens intermittently only when I'm using my external monitor as a separate display/extension of my display. If I'm not using my external monitor at all or if I'm using it in mirror display mode, that error doesn't seem to occur at all. I'm not exactly sure why it happens at all, but I'm pretty sure I've pinpointed the issue to that. Any thoughts?

Thanks!!
dj.bigdes 7:58 PM - 9 September, 2017
Quote:
Thanks dj.bigdes, we're still trying to figure out why this could be happening. It's very interesting that the problem is intermitant for you and not happening every time. Typically, a grey/blank screen issue is a result of an incompatible graphics card or incorrect graphics driver, but it seems you have all the correct drivers installed as well as running on supported Operating System and Maschine versions.

I'd really like to confirm if you get this issue using another DAW. If you're unable to use Reason since it's an old version, would it be possible to download the Free Trial of Ableton Live, just to test if this is an issue using this DAW? If you've got some time to test this for me, you can download a free Ableton trial here > www.ableton.com

Also, do you have the AU installed or the VST? Do you notice any different behaviour when using the AU vs the VST inside Maschine? Try installing both and see if one of them works better than the other.

We'll let you know if we make any discoveries around this issue - thanks for being patient while we investigate this!

I also see you're dealing with Rui K from Serato Support. You probably don't need to continue that correspondence and can reply directly to me here :) I have passed all your info onto the Serato Sample development team.

Kind regards,


Oh and also, I installed both the AU and VST because I want quite sure what the difference was, and haven't noticed any difference when using either one.
Scott S 10:24 PM - 9 September, 2017
Quote:
If I'm not using my external monitor at all or if I'm using it in mirror display mode, that error doesn't seem to occur at all. I'm not exactly sure why it happens at all, but I'm pretty sure I've pinpointed the issue to that.

Thanks! What is the resolution you are running on both monitors?
Scott S 12:50 AM - 10 September, 2017
Quote:
Oh and also, I installed both the AU and VST because I want quite sure what the difference was, and haven't noticed any difference when using either one.

The only difference between these two versions is that some OS X DAWs are not compatible with VST instruments (like Logic Pro) so need to use the AU component. Luckily DAWs like Ableton Live and Maschine are compatible with both VST and AU components so whichever one you use is up to you :)
dj.bigdes 12:20 AM - 11 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
If I'm not using my external monitor at all or if I'm using it in mirror display mode, that error doesn't seem to occur at all. I'm not exactly sure why it happens at all, but I'm pretty sure I've pinpointed the issue to that.

Thanks! What is the resolution you are running on both monitors?


1280 x 800 and 1080p...I think. Not positive though because they are both on the "Default for Display" option.
dj.bigdes 12:23 AM - 11 September, 2017
The actual external monitor is set to 1920 x 1080 though.
Scott S 1:06 AM - 11 September, 2017
Thanks for the update dj.bigdes, i've added in your details to the bug report and we're looking into it :)

Thanks for being patient with this issue
dj.bigdes 12:55 AM - 12 September, 2017
Quote:
Thanks for the update dj.bigdes, i've added in your details to the bug report and we're looking into it :)

Thanks for being patient with this issue


Much appreciated Scott!!