Serato Sample General Discussion

Talk about Serato Sample

Velocity Sensitivity

J..B.. 8:56 PM - 11 July, 2017
Hi everyone,

I've just started to use "Sample" which I personally love but there seems to be quite an important feature missing from it, unless someone can correct me and tell me that I just haven't got it set up correctly? There doesn't seem to be velocity sensitivity built into the program so when I'm triggering cues/samples they can only be played at one volume.

I know that each pad has its own volume control which can be altered but this doesn't have the same effect or playability as velocity sensitivity would have and the volume/sensitivity of the sound can't even be altered in my DAW (Logic). If I have midi notes played into Logic which are triggering cues in "Sample" those notes all have the same volume regardless of whether Logic registers the midi note as having a velocity of 1 or 127, so when I press a note on my midi keyboard to trigger "Sample" it will only play at one velocity regardless of how hard or soft I'm playing.

Am I missing something within "Sample" or has this feature not been included yet? It really needs to be in there so that full creative use of this great piece of software can be achieved.

Thanks for any replies and take it easy,

J..B..
Serato, Support
Scott S 10:09 PM - 11 July, 2017
Thanks J..B.., we don't support the use of MIDI velocity to control volume at this stage, but it's something we'd love to add in the future :)

Do you think volume is the main thing you'd want to adjust by MIDI velocity?
J..B.. 11:32 PM - 11 July, 2017
Scott,

Thanks for the quick reply, it's much appreciated. I'm sure people will come up with more things that would be nice to be controlled by midi velocity but the way I see it is whilst you have no control over the volume it kind of takes away a lot of the creativity of this great software. For instance, say you create an instrument that spans all pads/keys by activating "keyboard mode", you can't actually play the "instrument" properly as each sound will be playing at full volume so there will be no dynamics/nuances to the sound, if that makes sense?

Also, another example is that you may want to trigger a certain cue numerous times in sequence as a build up or going quieter in a track but you can't have any dynamic volume range to the cue/sample as each hit would just trigger at full volume unless you tried to put the same sound on numerous pads and tried to adjust each pad volume knob independently which would be really time consuming and wouldn't sound smooth or realistic. I was actually thinking you could achieve that effect if need be by drawing in some volume automation in the DAW (Logic for me) but I just tried it and "Volume/Velocity" doesn't even show as an option for automation on "Sample".

Anyway that's just my two cents on a couple of examples as to why I think midi velocity would really improve an already brilliant piece of software and would enhance it's creative capabilities. It really is a great piece of software and even though I only started using the trial version today I'm already absolutely hooked on it and will definitely be investing in the full version so a big thanks to the team for putting out there.

Again, thanks for the quick response and take it easy,

Jason.

P.S. You could eventually add a key command to the software that lets you toggle between which function the midi velocity actually triggers if there are other functions that people would like it to trigger, but I personally do feel that volume is the most important one.
Serato, Support
Scott S 1:59 AM - 12 July, 2017
Thanks for the feedback - we'll see what we can do :)
Beat_Wilson 4:22 AM - 12 July, 2017
couldn't you just do this in ableton/maschine?
Beat_Wilson 4:27 AM - 12 July, 2017
I think its great software for time stretching samples that easily degrade with other software. if i was using drums and all that i would probably resample to be honest. I just want to use it for Melodies/Loops.
J..B.. 10:24 AM - 25 July, 2017
Beat_Wilson,

If I used Ableton/Maschine maybe I could but as I don't like or use either of them then it's a no.

Cheers,

Jason.
Seige Monstracity 4:22 PM - 29 May, 2018
I agree, Sample definitely needs a velocity range. Also more slices. Those are my only 2 issues with Sample other than that its probably one of the best samplers on the market hands down!!!

Quote:
Scott,

Thanks for the quick reply, it's much appreciated. I'm sure people will come up with more things that would be nice to be controlled by midi velocity but the way I see it is whilst you have no control over the volume it kind of takes away a lot of the creativity of this great software. For instance, say you create an instrument that spans all pads/keys by activating "keyboard mode", you can't actually play the "instrument" properly as each sound will be playing at full volume so there will be no dynamics/nuances to the sound, if that makes sense?

Also, another example is that you may want to trigger a certain cue numerous times in sequence as a build up or going quieter in a track but you can't have any dynamic volume range to the cue/sample as each hit would just trigger at full volume unless you tried to put the same sound on numerous pads and tried to adjust each pad volume knob independently which would be really time consuming and wouldn't sound smooth or realistic. I was actually thinking you could achieve that effect if need be by drawing in some volume automation in the DAW (Logic for me) but I just tried it and "Volume/Velocity" doesn't even show as an option for automation on "Sample".

Anyway that's just my two cents on a couple of examples as to why I think midi velocity would really improve an already brilliant piece of software and would enhance it's creative capabilities. It really is a great piece of software and even though I only started using the trial version today I'm already absolutely hooked on it and will definitely be investing in the full version so a big thanks to the team for putting out there.

Again, thanks for the quick response and take it easy,

Jason.

P.S. You could eventually add a key command to the software that lets you toggle between which function the midi velocity actually triggers if there are other functions that people would like it to trigger, but I personally do feel that volume is the most important one.
Stupid American Pig 11:21 PM - 12 September, 2018
I was actually using serato sample this evening and found out it wasn't responding to velocity. This makes it mostly useless for chopping drums, as you end up with robot machine gun drums unless you can edit velocity.

To that end, I would like to see the ability to have multiple parameters respond to velocity. For instance, a drum hit could have the filter activated on it, and the amount of filtering is reduced as you increase velocity. Release times could be increased, etc. I really hope this is added in the near future. I think the feature set is pretty solid, but it could be the chopping tool with some additional love put into it.
Dee Ess K 12:43 AM - 18 September, 2018
Downloaded the trial tonight , it's great really quick to knock stuff up but very limited in features. Not having it velocity sensitive is a big loss you can't get any feeling to drums or sample playing i feel.
monkiusz 2:53 PM - 24 September, 2018
16 levels mpc style like in keyboard mode would be also nice to have as an option on/off.
Themadpad 12:07 PM - 20 November, 2018
Hi I just downloaded the free trial.

I was excited about the prospect of having this sampler but now learning that there is no velocity control i'm afraid I won't be purchasing it. Can anyone at Serato confirm whether or not this feature will be added? For me I think it is an essential feature and i'm very very surprised that nobody would think to add it....its a bit of a no brainer for me? If you add it i'll for sure purchase it, but until then i'm afraid I can't justify buying it when it doesn't have this very basic feature :(
solar28 7:32 PM - 7 December, 2018
Plus 1000 on velocity! This is the best slicer/mangler on the planet in terms of sound quality. BUT: velocity sensitivity would make it the bomb!! I have to use other tools (like Vice) for drums for when I want this feature. Please consider it, it would make this one sample plugin to rule them all.
sambora shapeshifter 11:46 PM - 12 December, 2018
Velocity sensitivity would be so good
bframes 4:17 AM - 18 December, 2018
I really need it too... PLEASE!!!
AKIEM 7:26 PM - 19 December, 2018
essential

would be nice if there where anymore updates
fab15 8:54 AM - 20 December, 2018
+1
Stupid American Pig 6:51 PM - 24 March, 2019
Now that Ive been using Serato Dj, I can see why they don't have velocity sensitivity. Its the sampler from Serato DJ. I fully admit here that Im way late to the party on this and may be stating the obvious. However, I don't see why using the sampler from Serato Dj isn't a great starting point to what could be a fantastic sample/chop tool.
AKIEM 12:46 AM - 26 March, 2019
Quote:
Now that Ive been using Serato Dj, I can see why they don't have velocity sensitivity. Its the sampler from Serato DJ. I fully admit here that Im way late to the party on this and may be stating the obvious. However, I don't see why using the sampler from Serato Dj isn't a great starting point to what could be a fantastic sample/chop tool.

I think its named poorly. It was never a 'sample player' and always just extra decks. My first request when it was in beta was 'polyphony' - obviously wont ever happen.

bet there is Serato Sample.... too bad not connected to the Serato Library...
julbokeh 10:06 AM - 25 May, 2019
+1 for the velocity feature.

Any upcoming update?
Serato, Support
Scott S 10:32 PM - 26 May, 2019
Hey julbokeh, yes we are looking to add velocity editing in a future update, post 1.0.

What is the main parameter you use with velocity? Are you using a plugin that use velocity to change the sound being played?

Thanks!
julbokeh 3:17 AM - 27 May, 2019
Hey Scott,
Happy to Read that! I'm not using anything that does that at the moment.

The need for velocity sensivity i have in mind is pretty basic. I would like to be able to trigger the samples with midi pads or keyboard and control the volume of the sample being triggered. (To add more dynamics to the performance)

Though, It could be really interesting to control other features of the samples with velocity. What comes to my mind would be:

-The envelope generator. (The harder you hit the note, the harsher is the attack) Or something like adding like an SPL Transiant designer controlled by velocity, that controls the sample. If any of that makes sense.

-Pitch variations (for exampe the sample becoming slightly off pitch when hit really hard/could be interesting creatively),

-Maybe vibrato or LFO? that accentuates with higher or lower velocity?

While we are there, a feature that plays the sample back in reverse as soon as you release the key you just pressed. I don't know why, but it could be fun to Play with. (Maybe its already there).

I hope this is not all too obvious.
Thanks
Julien
Serato, Support
Scott S 3:25 AM - 27 May, 2019
Great, thanks for the reply! It's good to hear why people are requesting these and what kind of workflow you use (even though they could be obvious), so thanks for the feedback!

We'll let you know when there's an update available, but unfortunately the things you've suggested won't be available on the initial 1.0 release. Hopefully they can be added in a future update :)

Quote:
The need for velocity sensivity i have in mind is pretty basic. I would like to be able to trigger the samples with midi pads or keyboard and control the volume of the sample being triggered. (To add more dynamics to the performance)

You can already edit the volume of each triggered pad using Automation. We made "Volume" the default parameter as soon as you hit the Automation button for this reason.
Also, if you have a velocity sensitive keyboard you can actually record IN using velocity (notes will be loud/quiet depending on how hard you play) but currently there is no way to edit these recorded notes - so it's a bit of a half-feature at the moment sorry!

Regards
PeTsch 1:25 PM - 7 August, 2019
+1000 to add velocity sensitivity to Serato Sample.

I remember this post from Scott S. July 2017 (!):
Thanks J..B.., we don't support the use of MIDI velocity to control volume at this stage, but it's something we'd love to add in the future :)

I would say: the future is now :-) Aug. 2019

Not only key-velocity would be cool, but also key-aftertouch.

I would like to propose 2 methods for an implementation:

1) Key velocity/aftertouch influences the playback volume of a corresponding sample, where the sensitivity-curve (range, strength, behaviour) should be user defined per sample. This feature should be switchable on/off.

2) Key velocity/aftertouch influences the filter level of a corresponding sample. The more velocity, the more the filter value increases (or vis a versa). The sensitivity-behaviour (curve) of this dependence should also be user defined per sample. The feature should be switchable on/off.

1) and 2) can be activated induvidually or - much cooler - both together.

THIS WOULD REALLY BE A COOL EXTENSION to Serato Sample 2.0!
And not that difficult to implement, isn't it?
Thanks in advance ! PeTsch
chaos 7:59 PM - 1 October, 2019
Need Midi Velocity in Serato Sample... killing the work flow chief .☠️☠️
unfunfionn 4:19 PM - 16 October, 2019
I have to ask the question, but are there actually plans to support Serato Sample in future? It's been two years since the last update. That's pretty close to abandonware, especially considering how basic features like MIDI Velocity are still missing. The key question, after 2 years, is honestly whether Sample is still supported at all. If not, I can't trust it in my workflow.
chaos 1:48 PM - 17 October, 2019
Quote:
I have to ask the question, but are there actually plans to support Serato Sample in future? It's been two years since the last update. That's pretty close to abandonware, especially considering how basic features like MIDI Velocity are still missing. The key question, after 2 years, is honestly whether Sample is still supported at all. If not, I can't trust it in my workflow.

Yeah what's up with Serato Sample??
Serato
Pavol Markovič 10:25 PM - 15 January, 2020
Thanks all for your patience.
Velocity sensitivity is one of the features included in Serato Sample 1.2.0 Beta, you can find more information in this message: serato.com