Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Please make a pre-listen option for a track in library and fix the smart crates!

MC Apollo 6:55 PM - 28 April, 2017
Hello, i was wondering why haven't you yet done a pre-listen option to listen to the track before you load it up in the track itself?
It is really a must since and i think i am not the only one wanting it+ a separate window for a playlist,
pre-listening a track before you load it into a track its a great way to listen to a song in case you wish to freestyle a bit and add songs to your playlist on the fly because sometimes public gets demanding, but also for your music mind expansion and creativity on gigs!
So please make that possible. And i urge people to add comments so this gets done!

Another thing! Filters really need a closer look making them more stable and taking less ram to work plus applying new filter options so you are able to see compatible songs for example in harmony with 1A--> that is 12A, 2A and 1A + 8A(7 up) and at the same time within 125-130 bpm with only a click on a smart crate!

Now the filters don't allow that specific option!
You can only make a smart crate/filter (i call filters smart crates by the way), that is for example 1A and 125 bpm to 130 bpm, but then you must make a bunch of filters. and each one for specific a number of a camelot wheel:1A , 2A ---12A 1B etcc..
And if you are like me that for each camelot number also creates smart crates from 70 to 140 bpm where each filter is 5 bpm's apart it really turns out to be a LOT f filters.

But i dot mind a lot of filters (but this is still bad), the thing that bothers me the most is even though i somehow manage to write all those 100 filters down my memory(ram) with accessing the filters /smart crates gets so used that the program crashes after it loads all the smart crate/filters.
On the other hand other programs that have better filter capabilities and even smarter crates/ filtering options to choose from can handle more then 500 filters with no effort at all.

So you guys must be doing something wrong! Or you might explain to me why is this happening? the memory problem!

Ty.

And again People do push for a Pre-listen option on Serato dJ program and to fix this RAm problem!
P.S. I am using windows 7 and 8B am and i7 processor intel 3.x Gh..
Best wishes in making music great.
MCApollo
Smartus 11:56 AM - 29 April, 2017
Quote:
pre-listening a track before you load it into a track its a great way to listen to a song in case you wish to freestyle a bit and add songs to your playlist on the fly because sometimes public gets demanding, but also for your music mind expansion and creativity on gigs!
So please make that possible. And i urge people to add comments so this gets done!

Sorry, but: no thanks.
There is a well established workflow for that since at least the 1980s (using the cue function of the mixer and a deck that is currently not playing). Why would anyone need a function to pre-listen before that?
MC Apollo 12:17 PM - 29 April, 2017
didn't i explain why?
o you can pre-listen which is the next track going to be if you have 2 decks playing already. (if you re on a 2 deck controller)
1.)To have the ability to furthere expand on your creativity by mixing a song the public wants and to properly insert it into the playlist,

2.)since also if usually you don't have time to talk with people to have the extra time so you don't need to put a track into load listen to it and decide this won't be good with this song putting another on load and doing the same THIS TAKES TOO MUCH TIME becoise the track you are going to play next has to be well prepared etc, if you wish to change it in a last moment idea..
3.) To freestyle better!
4.) It won't change the ability of the cue button, you can still use that and never use pre-listen, function.
5.) Pre-listen would be used as an extra channel that is the same as cue but it activates on a mouse click (if you click play on a track in library, separate play button in library), they could add this functionality as an option extra to have. so you would not lost any of the settings you have now! Understand? it is something similar like virtual dj has.
DJ Tecniq 6:33 PM - 29 April, 2017
My headphones do a fine job for pre listening.
Laz219 4:23 AM - 2 May, 2017
I don't really see it as taking up too much time, plus it has distinct advantages to load to a deck-
Can instantly jump to cue points,
use the jog/vinyl to quickly search through,
Listen with EQs applied,
Listen with FX applied.

It took a lot of time with records/CDs to prelisten when you had to physical change the media over and get to the right point. When I was still on CDs there were many times I'd be frantically shoving a different CD back in....and then the 'loading' while it read the disc always felt like an eternity.
I just don't see it as an issue when it takes a quick keyboard shortcut to load it up and then have all the above benefits rather than just playing through the library.

I feel like the sampler could be a good workaround though if you don't use all the banks currently.
vjMeely 5:19 PM - 2 May, 2017
For the filters/smartcrate functionality thing, few people have been begging for an update.....
>> serato.com

*10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't!
MC Apollo 1:36 AM - 3 May, 2017
I never said i am taking the things that are already there off!
I am saying to add something!
And since i am also having difficultis with my ddj-sr when it comes to 4 channell mixing in serato i decided to write a freaking traktor mapping and just use that untilll Serato makes up their mind... :(
the funny thing is that i have also another controller that is hercules and one keyboard advance 61 that i recenly bought but i am still having problems with serato since in serato you cannot assign midi messages to MId low and high knobs . midi assigning works only for other stuff in serato (still waiting for the ticket to reply me on thatb subject, but i realised i am becoming better then the actual support.. sady.. ..)
My wish is that i make the money i invested in my ddj-sr to be used as 4 channel controller worth it.

I bought ddj-sr which has 2 channells but 4 decks.. : mixing 2 songs inoto 2 songs.. difficult i would say even inmoissible and no way to unleash your creativity.

in that regard i almost mix better with my (m hercules midi controller. on virtual dj then with all the stuff ddj-sr and serato brings together.

but i wqas trying to empower serato with hercules to solve my 4 decks playing issues so i would use 2 decks on ddj-sr and other two on hercules, but since i canno map the volume faders on hercules bc NO MIDI! that plan was no good!

So hopefully i resolve all this issues with traktor . Virtual dj does work with hercules and serato though i can even play 6 decks.. at the smae time... and if i add some advnace midi signalc from advance aki 61 there too it could get pretty sweet.

welll anyhow i miss a lot of stuff in serato to be able to unleash y creativity like in this other programs, not to mesntion that i bought all the effect packs from Serato and i am not using it all! isn't this just SAD!?

hoping for better future.. :(
Hanginon 6:18 PM - 8 May, 2017
Quote:
There is a well established workflow for that since at least the 1980s (using the cue function of the mixer and a deck that is currently not playing). Why would anyone need a function to pre-listen before that?

Yup - and they used to operate on people without anesthesia, so what?

It's amazing to me how, whenever this issue comes up, the Serato Groupie immediately dis-misses something they probably have never even used - a dedicated library pre-listen. There is a very good reason every other DJ software has it, but rather than preaching to the Choir Absentia, here's your fix -

Get a small headphone mixer. Feed the headphone output of both your laptop and your controller to it. Everything works as before, but now when you hit "Ctrl O" on the laptops keyboard, the highlighted song in your library will play through your laptops default audio player and out to the same headphones you're using for your controller.
kristofg 4:57 PM - 2 October, 2018
I have to agree with MC Apollo.
this functionality is sins very long time available in virtualdj software.

i use to work with virtual dj. But now i own a denon mcx8000 that comed with serato. I like the way serato works mutch more then vdj, but this small helpfull functionality is a real show stopper for me.

i do not play a lot, and for me dj is a hobby, so most of the time i need to search the songs as i do not remember all the artist names and tracks. Therefore a prelisten before loading the song allows me to quickly prelisten to a lot of different tracks, and then when found the good track, load it to a deck.

i have heared a tip of some other serato user that its possible to load the song in the default media player of the pc by keyboard shortcut. This is a workarround, however this required additional hardware to mix both pc lineout and headphone output of the console.

Also you need to do the key combination every time you need to listen to another track, while this is in vdj just a mouse click or up/down keys on the keyboard.

so if feasable i like to see this functionality in one of the upcomming versions of serato.
DJ JulioYEG 5:12 PM - 2 October, 2018
how hard is it to load the track and cue it up it and then load up a different song and cue it until you find a song that fits LOL
Hanginon 3:25 AM - 3 October, 2018
Quote:
how hard is it to load the track and cue it up it and then load up a different song and cue it until you find a song that fits LOL

A PIA if you play with locked decks, or if you've already loaded your next song.

This controversy goes on and on. There is a reason every other software has it - it works!
Add it to the software - if you don't want to use it, don't (just like sync).
DJ JulioYEG 3:19 PM - 3 October, 2018
I play locked decks lol, how hard is it to pause the deck or the player and cue it up LOL
Hanginon 5:32 PM - 11 October, 2018
Quote:
I play locked decks lol, how hard is it to pause the deck or the player and cue it up LOL

It's not hard - it's SLOW.
DJ JulioYEG 5:33 PM - 11 October, 2018
just you, been djin since pre dvs and pre cds buddy just practice
Veks 9:36 AM - 24 January, 2020
Then why do you even care? Go praise yourself to another topic. There are many types of djs and many of them need this feature. I am both club and wedding dj and yes, for mobile djs this is very useful. They have much larger collection and preparing is a key. There are times at the weddings when you have more time to prepare and prelisten more tracks in advance and after that when you are using microphone and you have less time to dj, you are glad that you have your music prepared. And why doing the same procedure again again? Load a track, eventually analyse, switch headphones channel, skip through the track to the right place and blocking one channel fader for this when I can have my next song already loaded into it. And yes, I have been djing since pre dvs and pre cds as well. Now I am using hot cues, effects, rolls, key shifting, scratching and I am very thankful that someone wanted and then someone added these features into djing softwares. You are only talking rubbish.
bumbo08 3:47 PM - 24 January, 2020
Quote:
Then why do you even care?.

Welcome to Serato bro.

The guys at Serato probably take everyone's view into account when implementing new features.... so... that's why.

I'm not hating on this idea but I would have no use for it whatsoever. Serato can already be a hog for computer resource at the best of times - adding in a pre-listen for a track from your library will just make it worse.
bumbo08 3:49 PM - 24 January, 2020
Plus does ANY software actually implement this (other than VDJ)?

The 2 biggest in the market (Serato and RB) don't as far as I can see and there's probably a reason for that...
Veks 4:17 PM - 24 January, 2020
I think that Serato put most of their resources to Serato Studio now, which is not very good when there is so big progress from Denon. And yes, they do have pre-listen option now even in standalone units.
The Return of Dj Sparky 5:32 PM - 24 January, 2020
The new denon decks support this from the vids I have seen,

If serato does not offer what you want go with something that does,

I cannot see serato adding this any time soon but if you have time to waste post it in the feature request section , which is like the trash folder on your computer that serato ask you to put your ideas in but never add anything from there
Hanginon 1:22 PM - 25 January, 2020
Quote:

The 2 biggest in the market (Serato and RB) don't as far as I can see and there's probably a reason for that...

Rekordbox's Preview "directly from the Library" even includes the waveform -
www.digitaldjtips.com

Prelistening directly from the Library -
Rekordbox
Traktor
VDJ
Mixvibes
Mixxx
on and on

Quote:
Serato can already be a hog for computer resource at the best of times - adding in a pre-listen for a track from your library will just make it worse.

Implementing this would use more resources than hitting "CTRL O" and bringing up the default player? Really??

Lastly, being able to Prelisten directly from the Library will completely eliminate accidentally showing songs as "Played".
musiclee 1:30 PM - 25 January, 2020
Prelisten wouldn’t mark songs as listened.
I like it
Add it. If you don’t want it. Don’t use it
If you want it. Use it.
Or add as option in menu, settings.
Hanginon 1:30 PM - 25 January, 2020
Quote:
I cannot see serato adding this any time soon but if you have time to waste post it in the feature request section , which is like the trash folder on your computer that serato ask you to put your ideas in but never add anything from there

Now this I, on the other hand, I completely agree with!! What a shame.
bumbo08 8:31 AM - 27 January, 2020
Quote:
Quote:

Rekordbox's Preview "directly from the Library" even includes the waveform -
www.digitaldjtips.com

Prelistening directly from the Library -
Rekordbox
Traktor
VDJ
Mixvibes
Mixxx
on and on

Quote:
Serato can already be a hog for computer resource at the best of times - adding in a pre-listen for a track from your library will just make it worse.

Implementing this would use more resources than hitting "CTRL O" and bringing up the default player? Really??

Lastly, being able to Prelisten directly from the Library will completely eliminate accidentally showing songs as "Played".

Never knew that - I know it had waveforms but didn't know you could pre-listen. Interesting
577er 4:39 AM - 28 January, 2020
It’s crazy how many ways there are to DJ these days. For me the prepare crate and normal cueing works but on an all in one tablet I could see how it would be handy.

I had a chance to play around with a Prime 4 at B&H the other day. Some mega delays when trying to assign tracks to decks with the screen. Very glitchy. Granted store demo equipment gets abused endlessly but I wasn’t excited to see those issues. I know sometimes my fingers don’t work well on iPads unless I breath on them. I could precue tracks on the Prime4 but the loading wasn’t registering my fingers? Definitely need to spend more time with one of those before buying one.
mcdebugger 9:28 PM - 10 April, 2020
I'm adding another vote for this feature.
For the time it's the only feature I'm missing in SDJ.
Theo van Wessel 1:56 PM - 16 April, 2020
Quote:
I'm adding another vote for this feature.
For the time it's the only feature I'm missing in SDJ.

Same here, this feature is more helpfull than people who never used it, probalby will expect.
Once you've used this pre-listen feature, you will understand that speed-search in a list of tracks can be done so easy.

RB has the option to set a tiny waveform of the complete track as an extra tracklist column. Just click on any waveform anywhere and you will instantly hear the track where you've put the pointer. You can route the sound to a preferred fader and it's headphone CUE, for example fader 1, when using 2 and 3 as main mixer faders.

Now Pioneer DJ is (accidentally) discharging a lot of it's customers with their monthly subscription based Rekordbox 6.0, Serato would create a very warm 'welcome to us' with this pre-listen feature.
Andy Foster 11:30 PM - 17 April, 2020
hi, just arrived from traktor, this is a must have feature and something you cant live without once you tryed it

traktor, vdj,denon and rekordbox all have it :)
EGV 2:13 AM - 21 May, 2020
Hi, my first post and was looking for this feature. Adding my vote.

This specially useful if you have different remixes of the same track and would like to listen first before loading. It's really a no-brainer feature and should be on the best DJ software.
DjLaZaRuSrOcKs 7:49 AM - 21 May, 2020
+100000000000000000000000
Gjem1 10:25 PM - 21 May, 2020
+2
Hanginon 2:52 PM - 3 June, 2020
Denon DJ's Engine Prime V1.5 now also has it -

"Track Preview

Users will appreciate a more efficient and fluid way to preview tracks when managing and preparing their music. The track list in v1.5, features a new column for quickly previewing tracks without loading them to the deck. Track preview playback is activated just by clicking on the overview waveform in the track list. The preview waveform column is scalable and provides hot cue markers to help users quickly identify tracks that have already been prepared."
musiclee 2:50 AM - 5 June, 2020
Why is SDJ the only one without this key feature?
I would love a pre-listen so I don’t have to load it onto player.
Any ye. Not a windows media pre listen
A pre listen within the program.
deejayfatcat 12:21 PM - 5 June, 2020
Ppl saying it will be a reassured hog is surprising. Algoriddim djay has it on the iPhone.
deejaygas 11:56 AM - 3 January, 2023
The track preview functionality is essential. I'm sorry but the DJs who say it's not useful are bedroom DJs and certainly not itinerant DJs who have to adapt their playlist by looking at the people who are on the floor, who can be 18 or 50 years old ......
Hanginon 5:21 PM - 3 January, 2023
If you're an open format DJ, with a large Library, that works with small 2-Channel controllers (for portability), and frequently gigs in unknown situations - you already know how helpful this feature is.

IMHO, since this has been requested for such a long time by so many, it's probably safe to say that this feature will never be added to the software.

Therefore - the unfortunate solution to the problem is to use different software that has this feature.

IF YOU DON'T NEED VIDEO OR STEMS, Mixxx has now been developed to the point that it is a viable alternative, runs on PC/Mac/Linux, and it is completely free. Further, the developers/programmers/designers interact directly with users on the Mixxx Forum to further improve and refine the program - something almost unheard of here.

It will cost you nothing to try it.
DjLaZaRuSrOcKs 11:56 PM - 3 January, 2023
The bottom line is Serato is the ONLY DJ software without a 'song preview' capability. It's a requested and necessary feature for digital djing. It makes the whole process more efficient. It can be implemented as simple as Traktor or more complex like Rekorbox. Either would be. huge improvement to Serato. I DJ video and use MixEmergency so i'm sadly tied to Serato.
nik39 1:59 AM - 6 January, 2023
Quote:
The track preview functionality is essential. I'm sorry but the DJs who say it's not useful are bedroom DJs and certainly not itinerant DJs who have to adapt their playlist by looking at the people who are on the floor, who can be 18 or 50 years old ......

😂

Any pro DJ knows how to "preview" a song with SDJ. If you don't know... 🤦🏾‍♂️
DJ STU-C 12:28 PM - 6 January, 2023
Quote:

Im a working DJ, have been for over 20yrs. I have a unit that offers preview (Denon Prime 2) and still never use it... your assertion that people who can quickly load a song and listen to it are 'bedroom DJs' is quite frankly ridiculous.

Id counter that by saying people who spend their lives whining about insignificant things on internet forums are far more likely to be 'bedroom DJs' than the people you make claims about.
DJ STU-C 12:29 PM - 6 January, 2023
Quote:
Quote:

😂

Massive facepalm comment by this guy, ridiculous.
Hanginon 3:29 PM - 6 January, 2023
Quote:
I have a unit that offers preview (Denon Prime 2) and still never use it... your assertion that people who can quickly load a song and listen to it are 'bedroom DJs' is quite frankly ridiculous.

What software did you use with the Denon Prime 2?
DJ STU-C 4:34 PM - 6 January, 2023
Quote:
Quote:
I have a unit that offers preview (Denon Prime 2) and still never use it... your assertion that people who can quickly load a song and listen to it are 'bedroom DJs' is quite frankly ridiculous.

the one thats built into the device.
Hanginon 9:00 PM - 6 January, 2023
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

OK - and you can honestly say that this isn't better? (example uses Prime 4, but Prime 2 works the same) - Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ STU-C 10:53 PM - 6 January, 2023
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

OK - and you can honestly say that this isn't better? (example uses Prime 4, but Prime 2 works the same) - Watchwww.youtube.com

It’s handy but many DJs just won’t even think about using it as they are accustomed to loading a track, listening then either starting to mix or finding another… I’ve spent years on Vinyl/CDJs/Serato so loading a track to listen is just ingrained into the workflow.

It’s also far easier to skip through to certain parts of the track whilst it’s on the deck, with much more tactile controls to do so.

It’s a useful little feature that deserves about 10% of the hysteria being created in this thread, but then that applies to most things you read on internet forums…. mostly insignificant things blown up into massively over inflated issues.
Hanginon 12:39 PM - 7 January, 2023
Quote:
It’s handy but many DJs just won’t even think about using it as they are accustomed to loading a track, listening then either starting to mix or finding another… I’ve spent years on Vinyl/CDJs/Serato so loading a track to listen is just ingrained into the workflow.

What about new DJ's who aren't entrenched in old skool ways? Who have an open mind to the fact that there might be a better way to do something/ You know, like the kind that Serato needs to grow the business?

No one in this thread is suggesting to remove anything - we are simply suggesting adding an option to use if you want to. Just like your Denon - the option is there for you to use if you'd like, but you don't have to use it.

Quote:
It’s a useful little feature that deserves about 10% of the hysteria being created in this thread
This is not Fact - it's your Opinion.
DJ STU-C 1:58 PM - 7 January, 2023
Quote:
Quote:

What about new DJ's who aren't entrenched in old skool ways? Who have an open mind to the fact that there might be a better way to do something/ You know, like the kind that Serato needs to grow the business?

No one in this thread is suggesting to remove anything - we are simply suggesting adding an option to use if you want to. Just like your Denon - the option is there for you to use if you'd like, but you don't have to use it.

Quote:
It’s a useful little feature that deserves about 10% of the hysteria being created in this thread
This is not Fact - it's your Opinion.

As is the opinion that it’s an important feature 👍🏼
Hanginon 2:36 PM - 7 January, 2023
Quote:

Ha! Agreed!! 👍🏼👍🏼
DJ STU-C 3:42 PM - 7 January, 2023
Quote:
Quote:

Ha! Agreed!! 👍🏼👍🏼

I guess one argument you could make with Serato is they prefer to have everything tactile by use of buttons on the device, ie not using the laptop where possible, and the preview would have to be done on screen without a dedicated preview button on the controller.

I’m absolutely not against it being implemented, I just think some comments above are a bit too vigorous as to how important it is.

On a side note, I’ve got a gig next week and I’ll try to use it on the Prime then report back my thoughts as opposed to loading it to the deck.
deejaygas 11:07 AM - 16 January, 2023
Maybe the developers are not able to put this ESSENTIAL feature in Serato? I volunteer to help out if you need a software developer, of course I would do it for free .... ;-)
deejaygas 11:09 AM - 16 January, 2023
Quote:
Quote:

ahahhahahha ahhahahahah ahahhahah Are you stuck in the 80's?
DJ JulioYEG 6:08 PM - 16 January, 2023
Quote:

This ! hahahah I pre listen my tracks same way we used to pre listen to records on a turntable.
foks 2:26 AM - 18 January, 2023
Quote:
You can only make a smart crate/filter (i call filters smart crates by the way), that is for example 1A and 125 bpm to 130 bpm, but then you must make a bunch of filters. and each one for specific a number of a camelot wheel:1A , 2A ---12A 1B etcc..
And if you are like me that for each camelot number also creates smart crates from 70 to 140 bpm where each filter is 5 bpm's apart it really turns out to be a LOT f filters.

totally agree!
deejaygas 9:33 AM - 18 January, 2023
I also want to remind everyone that the preview feature is present in SERATO STUDIO!! WHYYYYYYYY??????
Prokuniev 12:15 PM - 18 January, 2023
Quote:
I also want to remind everyone that the preview feature is present in SERATO STUDIO!! WHYYYYYYYY??????

Yes, that is what is unfortunate!
Even if the function does not interest some Djs (which I understand and respect), the function has already been developed for Serato Studio!
It just have to integrate into Serato Dj !
nik39 12:48 AM - 19 January, 2023
Quote:

Because... Serato DJ is the software for DJs - real DJs. We know how to to preview using the current functionality.
DjSyndic8 2:35 AM - 19 January, 2023
Quote:
Quote:

Because... Serato DJ is the software for DJs - real DJs. We know how to to preview using the current functionality.

lol Gen Zs dont understand the struggles we had in the days, prelistening means loading a track and listening to it.
deejaygas 12:08 PM - 19 January, 2023
Quote:
Quote:

It makes me laugh that someone uses the word "real dj".

I started djing in 1980, i have 2000 vinyl records and also 1210 technics and what i hated doing as a real dj was just to put the record on the platter listen to the beginning of it and then decide to play another one, so i should use serato like in 1980?

However there is currently no preview functionality available unless you load the track onto one of the decks and that is NOT a preview functionality. If you don't know what I'm talking about watch rekordbox....
DJ STU-C 12:32 PM - 19 January, 2023
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I started djing in 1980, i have 2000 vinyl records and also 1210 technics and what i hated doing as a real dj was just to put the record on the platter listen to the beginning of it and then decide to play another one, so i should use serato like in 1980?

However there is currently no preview functionality available unless you load the track onto one of the decks and that is NOT a preview functionality. If you don't know what I'm talking about watch rekordbox....

I just don't know how you are able to cope with such troubles, life must be hard clicking that 'load' button.
deejaygas 1:21 PM - 19 January, 2023
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I just don't know how you are able to cope with such troubles, life must be hard clicking that 'load' button.

it is clear that you are not a professional dj, otherwise you would understand how you work to always keep the dance floor full, which means changing your playlist at the moment several times and accommodating people who can be 18 years old as 50 years old
DJ STU-C 2:00 PM - 19 January, 2023
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

it is clear that you are not a professional dj, otherwise you would understand how you work to always keep the dance floor full, which means changing your playlist at the moment several times and accommodating people who can be 18 years old as 50 years old

Been gigging for over 20yrs, playing 4/5 hour sets in bars that cater to a wide range of punters.

So your assertions are way off the mark. As expected from yet another forum whiner.
deejaygas 4:18 PM - 19 January, 2023
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Been gigging for over 20yrs, playing 4/5 hour sets in bars that cater to a wide range of punters.

So your assertions are way off the mark. As expected from yet another forum whiner.

another whiner....
here we only ask to implement a feature that is not only required by many djs, but that is present in all but all the major dj software, I imagine that if it exists in other software there will be a reason. in any case, an extra feature does not oblige you to use it and therefore if it were added you could still continue as you are doing, clicking a button as you said.....
DJ STU-C 4:45 PM - 19 January, 2023
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

another whiner....
here we only ask to implement a feature that is not only required by many djs, but that is present in all but all the major dj software, I imagine that if it exists in other software there will be a reason. in any case, an extra feature does not oblige you to use it and therefore if it were added you could still continue as you are doing, clicking a button as you said.....

Ive just looked into your assertion that 'all other software' has it.

So Traktor has it, requires multiple on screen button taps to launch and use it, in which time you might as well have just loaded the track and pressed play.

Virtual DJ has it, again requiring multiple button presses, even opening a new browser info tab to see it. So no more efficient than just cueing the track.

As far as i can see, Rekordbox (probably the most popular of all) doesnt have it, and neither do the majority of their media players, meaning its obviously of zero use to many pro DJs.

Denon, they have it but they arent a software vendor and its fiddly to use and often easy to press the wrong track, i know because i own a prime product with it implemented.

The fact these pointless features not being implemented cause people like you to cry so much, makes it even sweeter they are not included.
DJ STU-C 4:46 PM - 19 January, 2023
At the end of the day, all these nonsense requests are just increasing time spent staring at laptop screens and using laptop keyboards, and decreasing the time spent doing what you're meant to be doing, and that is DJing.
Logisticalstyles 7:29 PM - 19 January, 2023
We may eventually get this. It took over 10 years for Serato to implement scratch banks when other software already had something similar for a long time and people were requesting it here.
DjLaZaRuSrOcKs 9:24 PM - 19 January, 2023
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

another whiner....

So Traktor has it, requires multiple on screen button taps to launch and use it, in which time you might as well have just loaded the track and pressed play.

Virtual DJ has it, again requiring multiple button presses, even opening a new browser info tab to see it. So no more efficient than just cueing the track.

As far as i can see, Rekordbox (probably the most popular of all) doesnt have it, and neither do the majority of their media players, meaning its obviously of zero use to many pro DJs.

Denon, they have it but they arent a software vendor and its fiddly to use and often easy to press the wrong track, i know because i own a prime product with it implemented.

The fact these pointless features not being implemented cause people like you to cry so much, makes it even sweeter they are not included.

All the major DJing software DOES have a preview capability and it is NOT multiple clicks. It's a single icon in your library beside the track you'd like to preview. You click it and then you can preview the track. This is very useful and a much needed feature. It also is a neccassary feature as with Serato every time you load a deck to check out a track it triggers a 'play count' even if you did not technically play it (as you were just previewing the track) and it will often turn teh track blue ti imply you played it already. This confusion could be solved by just adding a preview button you can toggle on or off in the library.
If you do not want to preview tracks, you can hide that column and never use it.
DJ STU-C 9:47 PM - 19 January, 2023
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

another whiner....

All the major DJing software DOES have a preview capability and it is NOT multiple clicks. It's a single icon in your library beside the track you'd like to preview. You click it and then you can preview the track. This is very useful and a much needed feature. It also is a neccassary feature as with Serato every time you load a deck to check out a track it triggers a 'play count' even if you did not technically play it (as you were just previewing the track) and it will often turn teh track blue ti imply you played it already. This confusion could be solved by just adding a preview button you can toggle on or off in the library.
If you do not want to preview tracks, you can hide that column and never use it.

Your claims about how it works doesn’t match up to what I found by searching for info online, which software specifically has it as an icon in the library?

Much needed is your personal opinion, not fact.
nik39 9:59 PM - 19 January, 2023
Quote:
This is very useful and a much needed feature. It also is a neccassary feature as with Serato every time you load a deck to check out a track it triggers a 'play count' even if you did not technically play it (as you were just previewing the track) and it will often turn teh track blue ti imply you played it already.

That's wrong and shows that you claim to know other software's behavior - while you don't event know Serato DJ's behavior.

Go and try it for yourself. Really.

Also... Maybe you can elaborate how the preview function would work with..

A) a two channel device such as the s9 mixer, the Denon ds1, all former 2 channel boxes

B)... Which channel should the preview player play to/from? From the headphone jack on your laptop? Really? 😂 What's the other option? A dedicated channel on the mixer and you would have to switch the cue channel on the mixer?

The fastest and most efficient way is the way how it is done now any by all real DJs - load it to the deck which you will play the song from next. That saves a lot of additional steps.
nik39 10:02 PM - 19 January, 2023
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Haha... Penis length competition. I got 9000 plus vinyls. Pooooof. And now? ;)

Fact is.. The preview function adds more unnecessary steps. Read above.

And feel free to propose a better workflow. I'm keen to hear!
DJ STU-C 10:58 PM - 19 January, 2023
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Haha... Penis length competition. I got 9000 plus vinyls. Pooooof. And now? ;)

Fact is.. The preview function adds more unnecessary steps. Read above.

And feel free to propose a better workflow. I'm keen to hear!

My vinyl is bigger than yours 🤣
DJ STU-C 11:06 PM - 19 January, 2023
Quote:
Quote:
This is very useful and a much needed feature. It also is a neccassary feature as with Serato every time you load a deck to check out a track it triggers a 'play count' even if you did not technically play it (as you were just previewing the track) and it will often turn teh track blue ti imply you played it already.

That's wrong and shows that you claim to know other software's behavior - while you don't event know Serato DJ's behavior.

Go and try it for yourself. Really.

Also... Maybe you can elaborate how the preview function would work with..

A) a two channel device such as the s9 mixer, the Denon ds1, all former 2 channel boxes

B)... Which channel should the preview player play to/from? From the headphone jack on your laptop? Really? 😂 What's the other option? A dedicated channel on the mixer and you would have to switch the cue channel on the mixer?

The fastest and most efficient way is the way how it is done now any by all real DJs - load it to the deck which you will play the song from next. That saves a lot of additional steps.

This is a good point, Serato doesn’t know which channel is currently playing out to the crowd, it’s just playing music into 2 different places, the fader section of most mixers is independent. So how would it be expected to know where to route this ‘preview’ so it doesn’t go out over the master. As far as I’m aware any mixer that is usable on its own without software there is no link to the software regarding fader position, cue buttons etc.

People haven’t really thought this through.
Hanginon 2:08 AM - 20 January, 2023
This is actually funny since ALL OF YOU ARE CORRECT! It just depends on your point of reference - whether you're using a MIXER or a CONTROLLER - and that's why you don't understand each other!!

On a Controller, you scroll to the song you want to preview in the library, hit ONE button, and it plays out to ONLY your headphones REGARDLESS of the crossfader or line fader positions - it never goes out to the main mix plus it doesn't mess up the play count. That's it, couldn't be simpler. Fast and foolproof.

If using a mixer, you still need to do it the ancient, old fashioned, primitive way. :) :)
DjSyndic8 5:25 AM - 20 January, 2023
/

all this talk about Vinyl makes me want to do some flooring lol

this thread brings me back bad memory about the Guy that wanted Serato to work with Ventura so bad he flooded almost every thread about it, Im glad I cant remember his name and dont tell me. Fk it his name is Sifon I just remembered it

I have a feeling this pre-cum I mean Pre-listening will come to Serato soon,
but the question is, Is there enough DJs wanting this feature or is it a waste time.

Im on the I dont need it side,

I feel as if these people want serato to have everything that every other software has just to make them happy and to complete there DJ life,

This also reminds me of a time when Serato didnt have a "Sync" Button remember that lol good times good times.
deejaygas 8:30 AM - 20 January, 2023
I find the succession of these messages amusing, which in the end play the game of always keeping the post at the top, and this is positive. Then you play to see who has the longest and biggest penis/vinyl.... but it's fun. As for the preview feature, I repeat if there is so much better then one decides whether to use it or not. I currently use Rekordbox for my evenings, because having private parties, where people dance for hours, I never know who I'm in front of. So I have to choose from hundreds of tracks to ensure that the dance floor never goes completely empty, for me the preview is essential. I use serato instead when I want to scratch or use the beautiful stems feature. I'm sure Serato will add the preview eventually as well. To really see how well it works, try Rekordbox, it shows you the waveform, the preview doesn't go through the mixer but only goes into the headphones and doesn't increase the count. Have fun friends.... ;-)
DJ STU-C 9:59 AM - 20 January, 2023
Quote:
I find the succession of these messages amusing, which in the end play the game of always keeping the post at the top, and this is positive. Then you play to see who has the longest and biggest penis/vinyl.... but it's fun. As for the preview feature, I repeat if there is so much better then one decides whether to use it or not. I currently use Rekordbox for my evenings, because having private parties, where people dance for hours, I never know who I'm in front of. So I have to choose from hundreds of tracks to ensure that the dance floor never goes completely empty, for me the preview is essential. I use serato instead when I want to scratch or use the beautiful stems feature. I'm sure Serato will add the preview eventually as well. To really see how well it works, try Rekordbox, it shows you the waveform, the preview doesn't go through the mixer but only goes into the headphones and doesn't increase the count. Have fun friends.... ;-)

My Engine/Serato/Rekordbox library contains just shy of 5100 tracks.... im not sure how you manage to cope with 'hundreds', it must be a nightmare.
deejaygas 10:40 AM - 20 January, 2023
in my evenings we dance on average for 4 hours, and the tracks are usually left for an average of 2/3 minutes at the most. Sure if you use 5100 tracks in 10 years you're still playing music.... :-) :-) :-)
DJ STU-C 11:13 AM - 20 January, 2023
Quote:
in my evenings we dance on average for 4 hours, and the tracks are usually left for an average of 2/3 minutes at the most. Sure if you use 5100 tracks in 10 years you're still playing music.... :-) :-) :-)

Your comment doesn't make sense, can you redo it but this time in legible English.
DJ JulioYEG 6:04 PM - 20 January, 2023
Quote:

+1
DJ JulioYEG 6:06 PM - 20 January, 2023
Quote:
of 2/3 minutes at the most

wow thats a long time lol you just letting the whole song play out? im mixed out by 1:30 tops sometimes even less if the energy is through the roof
DjSyndic8 8:27 PM - 20 January, 2023
Quote:
wow thats a long time lol you just letting the whole song play out? im mixed out by 1:30 tops sometimes even less if the energy is through the roof

I dont get it what ever happen to let the dam song play.... its ok if the song sucks but every song?? seems annoying for crowds. whats the rush for... see this started in Australia with DJ Motto, DJ Peter Gunz (Discount version) DK Tikelz and Nino brown. They started this quick mixing on every song and it just made the crowd worse like their attention span wasnt long enough

I personaly play 3-4mins per song unless the song is a fail then I quick mix out.

remember back in the day Ultimixes were around 6 to 9 mins today thats a lifetime lol
Johndjmix 11:46 PM - 22 January, 2023
I agree, why do some DJ's mix out after the first chorus...whats the rush??? If its a good song keep it going! If its not or didnt work for the crowd, i do the same, but only then.

We playing for a crowd not making a megamix.

--John
DjSyndic8 12:11 AM - 23 January, 2023
Quote:
I agree, why do some DJ's mix out after the first chorus...whats the rush??? If its a good song keep it going! If its not or didnt work for the crowd, i do the same, but only then.

We playing for a crowd not making a megamix.

--John

Amen Johndjmix
nik39 1:18 AM - 23 January, 2023
Quote:
find the succession of these messages amusing, which in the end play the game of always keeping the post at the top, and this is positive. Then you play to see who has the longest and biggest penis/vinyl.... but it's fun.

😂

It is fun after all.

Don't take my "real DJs do this and that" too serious ;)

Quote:
Im on the I dont need it side,

I feel as if these people want serato to have everything that every other software has just to make them happy and to complete there DJ life,

Same here... I really don't care w+whether Serato adds this feature as long as the don't change the workflow of those who do it the real (haha) way ;)

However... Two things:

... Hold up...
nik39 1:22 AM - 23 January, 2023
Quote:
This is actually funny since ALL OF YOU ARE CORRECT! It just depends on your point of reference - whether you're using a MIXER or a CONTROLLER - and that's why you don't understand each other!!

On a Controller, you scroll to the song you want to preview in the library, hit ONE button, and it plays out to ONLY your headphones REGARDLESS of the crossfader or line fader positions - it never goes out to the main mix plus it doesn't mess up the play count. That's it, couldn't be simpler. Fast and foolproof.

I can't follow you.

Are you saying on a controller it plays the previewed song to the history marked as played, even if the crossfader is not in the middle?

That seems like a bug to me.

On the non controllers - I am pretty confident that it doesn't add the unplayed but previewed songs to the history / played list.

And number 2 - to those who insist of adding the preview function:
What's your suggestion about where the previewed audio should be played back to?
Johndjmix 4:03 AM - 23 January, 2023
Play the preview to ....whichever channel is NOT in "play".....
deejaygas 8:32 AM - 23 January, 2023
Quote:

And number 2 - to those who insist of adding the preview function:
What's your suggestion about where the previewed audio should be played back to?

exactly how it does REKORDBOX!!!
DJ STU-C 9:58 AM - 23 January, 2023
Quote:

How would that work on any of the certified DJ mixers? those are hardware devices with no feedback to the computer as to what is open and what isnt.
nik39 10:41 AM - 23 January, 2023
Quote:

How does the software know?

What happenes with 4 deck controllers?

IMHO it complicates more than it helps. 🤷🏾‍♂️

So what if you want to use the pre listen song? How does the software know that you're using it and that you're not prelistening any more?
nik39 10:41 AM - 23 January, 2023
Quote:

And/or mixers.
deejaygas 11:59 AM - 23 January, 2023
Quote:
Quote:

So what if you want to use the pre listen song? How does the software know that you're using it and that you're not prelistening any more?

In recordbox the preview is displayed with a thumbnail of the waveform. When you click on it it plays the track in headphones, if you load the track on one of the decks it stops playing the preview. A small play and stop button also appears to the left of the small waveform.
DJ STU-C 12:14 PM - 23 January, 2023
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

In recordbox the preview is displayed with a thumbnail of the waveform. When you click on it it plays the track in headphones, if you load the track on one of the decks it stops playing the preview. A small play and stop button also appears to the left of the small waveform.

Thats not answering the question though, how does this work on the DJM mixers where the mixer section of the device is not software driven? Mixers like the DJM-S7, S9. S11, 900NXS etc.

In fact any Controller with a hardware driven mixer built in, how does it work on those too?
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:56 PM - 23 January, 2023
Quote:
In fact any Controller with a hardware driven mixer built in, how does it work on those too?

Same way it works using an S11 or S9 with rekordbox.

Serato knows which channel is playing otherwise things like Soundswitch, Mixemergency and Serato video won’t work.
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:00 PM - 23 January, 2023
Quote:
As far as I’m aware any mixer that is usable on its own without software there is no link to the software regarding fader position, cue buttons etc.

Maybe with SL2/3/4/DS1 , but on those certified mixers….serato dj on the laptop knows what each button/fader/knob etc is doing.
nik39 10:10 PM - 23 January, 2023
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

In headphones? Overriding the cue selection? What do you do if you don't have a mixer connected?
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:58 AM - 24 January, 2023
Quote:
What do you do if you don't have a mixer connected?

Not DJing?

Quote:
In headphones? Overriding the cue selection

The sound is played back to the DJ via headphones

Normal PFL or Cue listening still works, you get another signal to the headphone for the preview.
Hanginon 1:33 PM - 24 January, 2023
What has become obvious (as this thread has progressed) is the number of people who are bad mouthing something they have no experience with, and actually don't know how it works.

Instead of re-inventing the wheel, I'd suggest downloading Mixxx V2.3.3 - there are Windows, Mac, and Linux versions - and it is completely free - mixxx.org

IMHO, it's always a good idea to have some familiarity with other software, and Mixxx has now progressed to the point that, even though it is Open Source, it is actually a good piece of software (as long as you don't need Video or Stems).

Mixxx supports pre-listening directly from the library, so you can see for yourself how it actually works.
Hanginon 2:09 PM - 24 January, 2023
Quote:
Mixxx supports pre-listening directly from the library, so you can see for yourself how it actually works.

You will have to manually Configure Mixxx - manual.mixxx.org

The software supports MULTIPLE high-quality soundcards (something Serato should emulate), so you can configure channel 3 or Channel 4 of an external analog mixer as a dedicated pre-listening channel.
Logisticalstyles 2:55 PM - 24 January, 2023
Quote:
What has become obvious (as this thread has progressed) is the number of people who are bad mouthing something they have no experience with, and actually don't know how it works.

Same thing happened with Sync.
DJ STU-C 4:23 PM - 24 January, 2023
Quote:
Quote:

Same thing happened with Sync.

ill gladly go through my life not knowing how that works.
nik39 7:15 PM - 24 January, 2023
Quote:
Quote:
What do you do if you don't have a mixer connected?

Not DJing?

:-D

Nah, I mean, no mixer connected to SDJ.

Quote:
Quote:
In headphones? Overriding the cue selection

The sound is played back to the DJ via headphones

Huh? How is that? The headphones are connected to your mixer (you forgot? :-D ). How is SDJ going to play back audio then?
nik39 7:18 PM - 24 January, 2023
Quote:
Quote:

You will have to manually Configure Mixxx - manual.mixxx.org

The software supports MULTIPLE high-quality soundcards (something Serato should emulate), so you can configure channel 3 or Channel 4 of an external analog mixer as a dedicated pre-listening channel.

You're missing the point.

1st of all.. not all SDJ devices have 3+ channels.
2nd it means you would have to switch on the headphones to the "pre-listen-dedicated-channel". And once you have decided, then you load the track to the deck and have to switch to the channel to which you have loaded the track to.

Everytime you preview a track. How inconvenient is that?
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:01 PM - 24 January, 2023
Quote:

youtu.be

Quote:
not all SDJ devices have 3+ channels.

It does not require that to work….it works on DDJ 200.

It’s routed digitally via USB audio bus to the headphone channel.
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:04 PM - 24 January, 2023
Quote:
Huh? How is that? The headphones are connected to your mixer (you forgot? :-D ). How is SDJ going to play back audio then?

It works in prep mode and performance mode.

In prep mode, it plays via the laptop speaker

In performance mode via the headphones, if no headphone is connected it does not output sound.

youtu.be
DJ STU-C 8:04 PM - 24 January, 2023
Quote:
Quote:

youtu.be

Quote:
not all SDJ devices have 3+ channels.

It does not require that to work….it works on DDJ 200.

It’s routed digitally via USB audio bus to the headphone channel.

Ah yes, that cornerstone of professional DJ gear, the DDJ-200
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:19 PM - 24 January, 2023
Quote:

Okay it works on the DJM900NXS2 and the V10…It’s also available on the Denons.

Happy now?
DJ STU-C 8:32 PM - 24 January, 2023
Quote:
Quote:

Happy now?

It sounds to me like you really need to be using Rekordbox DJ as your software of choice, given that this one isnt doing what you need it to.
nik39 9:00 PM - 24 January, 2023
Quote:
Quote:

In performance mode via the headphones, if no headphone is connected it does not output sound.

youtu.be

This only works with devices where SDJ controls the headphone signal. This is definitely not possible with all devices.

That's fine - if you want to use it. It makes things slower for me. Clicking on the GUI to skip through the track? I wouldn't use it.
DJ STU-C 9:01 PM - 24 January, 2023
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

youtu.be

This only works with devices where SDJ controls the headphone signal. This is definitely not possible with all devices.

That's fine - if you want to use it. It makes things slower for me. Clicking on the GUI to skip through the track? I wouldn't use it.

Yep, why increase laptop face when you can just use the deck. My laptop isnt even in front of me at home.
nik39 9:08 PM - 24 January, 2023
Quote:
Yep, why increase laptop face when you can just use the deck. My laptop isnt even in front of me at home.

Totally agree. It makes you look less professional IMHO. Nothing against previewing a song... but if you need to preview 15 songs per played song - You might need to revisit your library readiness and ... get to know your library better. My songs usually have cue points at the most important parts of the song, so usually I don't have to cue the songs a lot.

Anyway, I don't see this coming soon - but who am I...
DJ STU-C 10:39 PM - 24 January, 2023
Quote:
Quote:

Totally agree. It makes you look less professional IMHO. Nothing against previewing a song... but if you need to preview 15 songs per played song - You might need to revisit your library readiness and ... get to know your library better. My songs usually have cue points at the most important parts of the song, so usually I don't have to cue the songs a lot.

Anyway, I don't see this coming soon - but who am I...

Yeah fully agree, I dunno if it’s just me being a bit obsessive but I have most of my tunes on an SD in the car so I’m listening for 2hrs a day on shuffle and learning the tracks. Plus I listen at home on a night when I’m chilled out. Admittedly I don’t know every track but for those I find it much easier to load it to a deck then either needle drop or beat jump through quickly to listen to it than tapping or clicking a tiny window on a computer screen.
DJ Marv the Maverick 11:23 PM - 24 January, 2023
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Happy now?

It sounds to me like you really need to be using Rekordbox DJ as your software of choice, given that this one isnt doing what you need it to.

I’m not the one requesting it, only trying to help make things clearer based on some of the earlier posts.

I have dabbled with Rekordbox DJ

Quote:

To the best of my knowledge during a conversation with serato support, Serato has full access to all audio channels. The headphones channels are also part of the chain. I was made to understand that Serato mixes internally as well.
But you may be right as well. Only the devs know.
nik39 12:18 AM - 25 January, 2023
Quote:
Serato has full access to all audio channels

Depends on the device. I haven't had a look at the more recent mixers, but for example the Rane mixers didn't have the headphones accessible from the USB ports. All well documented (Rane kicked ass that time! :)) in the manual.
deejaygas 8:17 AM - 27 January, 2023
up please dev remeber us!!!
deejaygas 8:39 AM - 27 January, 2023
WOW I found a solution :-))))))

https: // youtu . be / 9xtIkR0Khqg
deejaygas 9:47 PM - 31 January, 2023
up!!!
Nico Bronkhorst 10:06 PM - 4 December, 2023
Quote:
https: // youtu . be / 9xtIkR0Khqg

This link does not work, even when deleting the spaces.

It works on Mixvibes and Recordbox software, but would love to get it to work on Serato
Hanginon 1:50 PM - 5 December, 2023
Quote:
It works on Mixvibes and Recordbox software, but would love to get it to work on Serato

Not just Mixvibes and Rekordbox - literally every DJ software supports Pre-Listen directly from the Library - EXCEPT Serato.

Best guess is Serato, as currently coded, cannot support this option.

Analyze files before Performing, create Stems before Performing, set Cues, Loops, and Drops before Performing, link to Studio before Performing. Get the hint? They are shifting Serato to Performance creation software. Just look at the images and videos that open as soon as you go to this website - what do you think they are trying to show, besides a nicely restored white car?

These things are all important, but what about the Open Format DJ that still takes Requests?? IMHO, use different software.