Serato DJ General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ, expansion packs and supported hardware

62 just gave me hearing damage.

MrShigura 7:13 AM - 28 April, 2017
Just bought a sixty two, set it up fine, everything was working without a problem.

I then suddenly got maximum volume static on all channels, and through my headphones, blasting my ears to oblivion.

I've seen a few posts on this, with no real information, but can't seem to find info on the cause. Can anyone fill me in, or do I need to get rid of this thing so I don't end up completely deaf??
DJ Tecniq 7:39 AM - 28 April, 2017
Are you using latest firmware/drivers? What operating system are you running?
MrShigura 3:13 PM - 28 April, 2017
Latest everything, windows 10.
DJ Tecniq 3:45 PM - 28 April, 2017
Quote:
Specs of laptop?
MrShigura 5:33 PM - 28 April, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Specs of laptop?

It's actually a 'desktop' in this case, but:

i5-6500
gtx 1070
16 gb ram

Btw, prior to this was just using an sl3 with an old ttm56 with the same system, never had an issue like this whatsoever.

If this had happened in an actual performance setting, I'd be paying to replace a blown sound system right now.
DJ Tecniq 9:44 PM - 28 April, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Specs of laptop?

i5-6500
gtx 1070
16 gb ram

Btw, prior to this was just using an sl3 with an old ttm56 with the same system, never had an issue like this whatsoever.

If this had happened in an actual performance setting, I'd be paying to replace a blown sound system right now.
My guess is bad USB cable or audio cables? Either that or the 62 is defective. Did you purchase from an authorized retailer?
MrShigura 1:14 AM - 29 April, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Specs of laptop?

i5-6500
gtx 1070
16 gb ram

My guess is bad USB cable or audio cables? Either that or the 62 is defective. Did you purchase from an authorized retailer?

I bought it used, but the mixer itself is in perfect condition. It looks like I may just have to return it, as the issue just happened again, and I can't risk using the mixer at this point.

The strange thing is it works fine for a while, then this seems to randomly happen. I've used it for hours without issues, but then just now I was simply listening to files in internal mode and it just randomly blasted me again. I have no idea what's causing it, but the thing is unusable and dangerous.
DJ Tecniq 1:08 PM - 29 April, 2017
Quote:
I bought it used
Ahh so this may be pretty much the problem. Never buy used equipment esp if it's an expensive mixer. If you bought on eBay or something or from someone you might have issues returning it. If it's from an authorized Rane dealer then you shouldn't have problems. However I would def try it on another system that supports it. Chances are it's just the machine you're using and not the mixer. Good luck
MrShigura 10:15 PM - 29 April, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
I bought it used
Ahh so this may be pretty much the problem. Never buy used equipment esp if it's an expensive mixer. If you bought on eBay or something or from someone you might have issues returning it. If it's from an authorized Rane dealer then you shouldn't have problems. However I would def try it on another system that supports it. Chances are it's just the machine you're using and not the mixer. Good luck

I'm really doubtful at this point that it's the mixer, considering how totally random the issue has been.

Last night I uninstalled everything I could think of that might cause any conflict with the 62 drivers/etc and ran a test where I left the 62 on and serato dj playing tracks in autoplay overnight. It appears it's been going for nearly 12 hours without the issue occurring again, but I have no way to know for certain if/when it will happen again.

By the way, when you say the issue is with 'the system," let's be honest here, that translates to the issue is the drivers/sdj software, because I've had zero issues with both this PC in general, and with using it with an SL3.
MrShigura 10:19 PM - 29 April, 2017
Oh, and I forgot to mention, other people have experienced this same issue with brand new rane/serato mixers, and not just the 62.
DJ Tecniq 4:52 AM - 30 April, 2017
Quote:
Oh, and I forgot to mention, other people have experienced this same issue with brand new rane/serato mixers, and not just the 62.
couldn't relate I have the Pioneer S9 and not one glitch so far. Not sure what's going on with Rane but they got sold out by InMusic I could imagine the customer support isn't as effective.
Sam GG 5:53 AM - 1 May, 2017
Hey MrShigura (I replied to you in another thread, but incase you didn't see it...),

All of our technical support is handled in a 1 on 1 service outside of the public forum, that why you guys haven't received a direct response.

Follow this link here: support.serato.com create a help request and one of the Serato technicians will be there to help you soon enough. Its a good idea to list your full computer specs, details of your setup ie, what other pieces of hardware you have connected and the troubleshooting steps you have tried already.

In the meantime a good thing to try is a process of elimination, ie, swap out cables, try another computer (if you have access to one), if you are using the latest version of Serato DJ perhaps try and earlier one and see if the problem persists.

Best of luck,
Sam
MrShigura 8:08 AM - 6 May, 2017
Quote:
Hey MrShigura (I replied to you in another thread, but incase you didn't see it...),

All of our technical support is handled in a 1 on 1 service outside of the public forum, that why you guys haven't received a direct response.

Follow this link here: support.serato.com create a help request and one of the Serato technicians will be there to help you soon enough. Its a good idea to list your full computer specs, details of your setup ie, what other pieces of hardware you have connected and the troubleshooting steps you have tried already.

In the meantime a good thing to try is a process of elimination, ie, swap out cables, try another computer (if you have access to one), if you are using the latest version of Serato DJ perhaps try and earlier one and see if the problem persists.

Best of luck,
Sam

I tried this. Your support told me it must be a hardware issue and passed the buck to Rane.

It appears this is basically a known issue with windows 10/62/SDJ, well, known to the many people who have had the issue, apparently not officially a known issue.

youtu.be
youtu.be
MrShigura 8:13 AM - 6 May, 2017
Oh, and

youtu.be
Sam GG 10:40 PM - 8 May, 2017
Thanks for letting me know,

Hopefully Rane support can help you fix the issue or replace your mixer if it is indeed faulty. If you do find a solution please post back here as it might be valuable for other users.

Sam
MrShigura 8:39 PM - 9 May, 2017
Quote:
Thanks for letting me know,

Hopefully Rane support can help you fix the issue or replace your mixer if it is indeed faulty. If you do find a solution please post back here as it might be valuable for other users.

Sam

Rane support is unlikely to be able to fix an issue which is clearly related to a software/driver conflict. If the issue only happens when using windows 10 specifically, the mixer hardware has nothing to do with the cause. Unfortunately, this seems to be an issue no one wants to resolve, given that this is a discontinued mixer from a seemingly discontinued company.
Sam GG 9:53 PM - 9 May, 2017
Hey Mr Shigura,

I found your support ticket and see that not much investigation was carried out, sorry if you feel like you were brushed off. Feel free to make another ticket support.serato.com and I'll bump it with the support team.

We have seen this issue a few times in the past and our support team have been unable to reproduce the issue in house. Other reports have pointed to a driver issue and all the Rane drivers are made, in house, by Rane, so I still think it is worthwhile contacting them as well.

Hope that helps,
Sam
MrShigura 11:36 PM - 9 May, 2017
Quote:
Hey Mr Shigura,

I found your support ticket and see that not much investigation was carried out, sorry if you feel like you were brushed off. Feel free to make another ticket support.serato.com and I'll bump it with the support team.

We have seen this issue a few times in the past and our support team have been unable to reproduce the issue in house. Other reports have pointed to a driver issue and all the Rane drivers are made, in house, by Rane, so I still think it is worthwhile contacting them as well.

Hope that helps,
Sam

Sam,

Thanks for your attention to this post and my issue. I just submitted a new ticket as requested. So far Rane's only advice has been to use an older version of SDJ, which is both unlikely to solve the problem (since, per the videos I linked, others were having the issue as far back as 2014) and likely not supported by Serato. In any case, the new ticket is in, let me know what else I can do to help investigate.
MrShigura 11:37 PM - 9 May, 2017
PS: It's ticket #302279
Sam GG 12:08 AM - 10 May, 2017
Thanks MrShigura, I think Kane is gonna grab your new ticket and work with you on it.

Thats a pretty standard approach to check if the issue in still happening in an older version, its lets us know pretty quick if its a software bug thats just been introduced, but in this case I think you are right, its unlikely because it has been happening a while.

Regardless, best of luck with the issue.

Sam
Hanginon 12:59 AM - 10 May, 2017
I have seen this happen with mp3 files when Auto Gain is turned off.

1) Do you have it off?
2) When it happens, is the "white" area of the manual gain setting in Serato fully clockwise to the right?

Like I said, I had some mp3's that did this. They had Replay Gain settings, and I had also run them through mp3Gain, no help. I never figured out why. It is not a problem when Auto Gain on.
MrShigura 1:00 AM - 10 May, 2017
Quote:

1) Do you have it off?
2) When it happens, is the "white" area of the manual gain setting in Serato fully clockwise to the right?

Like I said, I had some mp3's that did this. They had Replay Gain settings, and I had also run them through mp3Gain, no help. I never figured out why. It is not a problem when Auto Gain on.

No, auto gain is not off.
MrShigura 1:01 AM - 10 May, 2017
Quote:

1) Do you have it off?

Oh, and the track isn't playing at loud volume. As shown in the videos, the issue is MAX volume static/white noise, not the actual music.
Kranky 11:14 PM - 29 August, 2017
Same issue here - seemingly random - same setup Rane 62 / Serato DJ / Windows 10 x64 - has been on-going for me for a number of years now.
Kranky 1:05 AM - 30 August, 2017
Did you ever get a resolution to this issue MrShigura?
ChosunNYC 1:51 AM - 7 November, 2017
Anyone ever figure this out? My Windows 10 (64 bit) laptop is doing this.

My specs:
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel Core i7-7700 @ 2.80GHz
32GB RAM
1TB Internal SSD drive
Serato v1.9.10 (19105170)
Rane Sixty-Two Firmware v2.53