Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Pioneer DDJ-SR Pitch Play mapping

titom44dj 10:26 PM - 14 March, 2017
Hi,

i'm enjoy to share you a midi mapped xml file improved by myself to allow you to play with the new feature of Serato : Pitch play

Because of serato didn't find it good to allow us this feature with our DDJ-SR

everything is in the zip file : midi xml + readme

drive.google.com

How to use :
Note the hot cue you want to play need to be the bottom right hot cue (number 8) selected in the classic hot cue pads
Then use Shift+Roll : you are in pitch n key play pad

key from pad 1 to 8 : 0 ; +2 ; +4 ; +5 ; +7 ; +9 ; +11 ; +12
shift + key from pad 1 to 8 : 0 ; -2 ; -4 ; -5 ; -7 ; -9 ; -11 ; -12

If you want to change the hot cue to pitch n key you need to go back to hot cue, remove the hot cue 8 and re-asign

Special thanks for :

DjDobi who shared to me the original code, coded by radikarl.de :
drive.google.com

Hope you enjoy !!!
titom44dj 12:53 AM - 15 March, 2017
update, mapping error for second channel + some personal midi preset

drive.google.com

Enjoy
dj lashes 1:10 AM - 15 March, 2017
thanks titom......

but i have to ask why serato could not of done this for us? i already own pitch in time and really feel like serato let us down big time so not cooooooool .... stop burning your bridges a lot of us been with you guys for amost a decade now
Serato, Support
Sam GG 3:50 AM - 15 March, 2017
Hey Guys,

Radikarl has done some killer mappings and his Pitch Play approach has been really popular as a workaround for hardware that does not formally support pitch play.

I actually worked with the team who implemented Pitch Play for all the controllers with suitable pad layouts in the 1.9.6 release. We didn't leave out certain hardware just to spite DJ's or make people mad!

We started with a big list of all supported hardware, narrowed it down to a list with a full 8 performance pad layout + 2 parameter buttons and a shift layer and worked from there. Unfortunately we had to cut the Reloop NEON and the DDJ-SR both because of limitations of layout, lighting etc, It wasn't a decision made lightly and I'm happy to explain in more detail why we couldn't do the mappings just lemme know.

Hope you guys are digging the other improvements in 1.9.6 regardless,

Cheers,
Sam
DJ Neema V 3:29 PM - 18 March, 2017
Hey, there's 4 different xml files in the "update" none of them made my DDJ-SR behave any differently from normal.

I press "Shift+Roll" and I just get access to saved loops as always.

What gives?
DJ Neema V 3:34 PM - 18 March, 2017
Oops, I got it.
For the noobs to Midi mapping make sure you pick Pioneer DDJ-SR as a MIDI device and click "Allow Serato Hardware Remapping" before you load xml.
dj lashes 10:23 AM - 20 March, 2017
Quote:
Hey Guys,

Radikarl has done some killer mappings and his Pitch Play approach has been really popular as a workaround for hardware that does not formally support pitch play.

Yeah its great that Radikarl took the time to keep serato users happy, shame on you guys for making that be the case!!! as ive said in many posts time and time again serato doing what they think is best ...we need it on some smaller controller which we take to gigs
AndrewRivas 7:27 PM - 7 April, 2017
I
Quote:

We started with a big list of all supported hardware, narrowed it down to a list with a full 8 performance pad layout + 2 parameter buttons and a shift layer and worked from there. Unfortunately we had to cut the Reloop NEON and the DDJ-SR both because of limitations of layout, lighting etc, It wasn't a decision made lightly and I'm happy to explain in more detail why we couldn't do the mappings just lemme know.

Yeah, I'm curious too because nothing seems obviously different from looking at the pad section of the SR compared to SP-1, and SX. What's the major difference that caused this to be not a viable option for Serato to integrate?
Serato, Support
Sam GG 10:25 PM - 9 April, 2017
Hey AndrewRivas,

The DDJ-SR was developed with a number of special pad modes implemented for that device only. Pioneer did a lot of work in firmware development to make these unique pad plus modes. Because of these features there were major differences in behaviour that were not possible to work around solely in mapping. A few of the problems;

• When Pitch Play mode was entered there would be no pitch play lighting on the pads until a pad was pressed, the pads would look like they were in sampler mode. This is because,
• On the DDJ-SR, unlike newer controllers, all pad mode toggling was handled by firmware not software. Meaning when a 3rd pad mode was entered (pitch play mode) the lighting would be out of sync as the firmware was only aware of 2 pad modes.
• Also since parameter buttons are controlled by firmware we cannot display pitch range on them making it a rather dire user experience, combined with pad lighting not updating.

Best regards,
Sam
AndrewRivas 5:35 PM - 10 April, 2017
Thx for the explanation!
DJ Jammin' Jamie 10:24 PM - 10 May, 2017
Kudos to titom44dj for making this mapping... I bought PNT and then found out there was no mapped keys on the DDJ-SR. Hell, I had to find out through Serato support about this. Hats off!
JositoDJ 2:34 PM - 9 March, 2018
Hi, is this still working in Serato DJ pro?

I’m interested since I own a DDJ-SR for mobile purposes and idk if buying the expansion will be worth it.

Also I dont get what ‘the first hot cue point will be in 8th position’ first pad will be the last one for hot cues then? 2nd will still be in 2nd place?

Thanks
titom44dj 2:43 PM - 9 March, 2018
Hi JositoDJ

I think it will work but i can't test, i didn't have this controller yet.

But i've got a SZ2 and my MIDI map still working between the 1.9 to Serato Pro
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 7:43 PM - 13 March, 2018
The same mappings are available in Serato DJ Pro as in Serato DJ, think of it as an upgrade to your software rather than a new bit of software :D
DJ Tecniq 8:10 PM - 13 March, 2018
Just upgrade to the SR2 it has pitch play. Less hassle. Sell your old SR unit they are years old.
JositoDJ 8:22 PM - 13 March, 2018
Quote:
Just upgrade to the SR2 it has pitch play. Less hassle. Sell your old SR unit they are years old.

Cant see much improvement, is pitch and play included with the purchase? Just needle search would be cool for me to have, other than that is the same
DJ Tecniq 8:41 PM - 13 March, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Cant see much improvement, is pitch and play included with the purchase? Just needle search would be cool for me to have, other than that is the same
No sir it comes with pitch n time i have it😉 youtu.be
DJ Tecniq 8:50 PM - 13 March, 2018
Do yourself a favor and sell the SR. The SR2 has more features and does indeed include pitch n time expansion with the SR2. It’s a great upgrade. Only wish it had jogwheel indicators for juggling but not everyone needs that and can always get creative and add a sticker marker on the SR2 for those purposes. Peep the demo. youtu.be
DJ Tecniq 8:52 PM - 13 March, 2018
I preordered mine and got it for $100 off. $599 was total cost. I never pay full price most online retail shops have the hookup👌🏼
Logisticalstyles 1:42 PM - 14 March, 2018
Quote:
is pitch and play included with the purchase?

Yes.
Camfea 5:02 PM - 26 October, 2018
Quote:
Hi JositoDJ

I think it will work but i can't test, i didn't have this controller yet.

But i've got a SZ2 and my MIDI map still working between the 1.9 to Serato Pro

No, I tried with my DDJ-SR and it doesn't work. Why?
Camfea 5:07 PM - 26 October, 2018
Quote:
Oops, I got it.
For the noobs to Midi mapping make sure you pick Pioneer DDJ-SR as a MIDI device and click "Allow Serato Hardware Remapping" before you load xml.

Hi !

I have a DDJ-SR. I tried everything you said but it doesn't work. After pressing shift + roll when I touch the pads the tempo is not changing (still the same). Why?
Thanks in advance for your reply.
Telony Ex 1:11 AM - 17 August, 2019
Quote:
Hey AndrewRivas,

The DDJ-SR was developed with a number of special pad modes implemented for that device only. Pioneer did a lot of work in firmware development to make these unique pad plus modes. Because of these features there were major differences in behaviour that were not possible to work around solely in mapping. A few of the problems;

• When Pitch Play mode was entered there would be no pitch play lighting on the pads until a pad was pressed, the pads would look like they were in sampler mode. This is because,
• On the DDJ-SR, unlike newer controllers, all pad mode toggling was handled by firmware not software. Meaning when a 3rd pad mode was entered (pitch play mode) the lighting would be out of sync as the firmware was only aware of 2 pad modes.
• Also since parameter buttons are controlled by firmware we cannot display pitch range on them making it a rather dire user experience, combined with pad lighting not updating.

Best regards,
Sam

What is the reason for the neon not being supported
DJ Tecniq 1:19 AM - 17 August, 2019
Don’t think pitch play will work on the SR. It’s the SR2 that has pitch play.
DJ Tecniq 1:22 AM - 17 August, 2019
The original SR came out in 2013 when pitch play wasn’t featured till SDJ 1.9 i believe
Telony Ex 1:47 AM - 17 August, 2019
Quote:
The original SR came out in 2013 when pitch play wasn’t featured till SDJ 1.9 i believe

Need pitch play for the reloop neon. Was gonna do radikarl map. But i just realize another serato downfall. I can only mapp one hardware at a time.
My primary budget controller has already mapped out to my desire. Just pitch play i wold want on the neon