DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

With the new MacBook Pros stumbling out of the gate could next Surface be better

popnwave 7:17 PM - 30 December, 2016
mspoweruser.com

When the SP4s dropped I had tons of quirks, sleep issues, battery ran odd, orientation headaches, etc. It's really settled down and the Surface Books have been solid out of the gate. On reddit I see more and more Apple converts jumping ship to the platform and it pains me. I love Apple but the pricing is something I can't even justify (flagship 2012 is $1,000 less than the 2016) with the fact the USC-C adapters are behaving odd for more than just a few DJs using their gear.

Anyone here using a Surface Pro 4 or Surface Book for SDJ regularly? I do video but I will so some audio only testing for fun on a test unit I have.

I as considering going with a 2015 MBP to upgrade my 2012 and steering clear of the 2016s until more time passes, BUT... these MS units are looking more and more interesting. If the Serato devs can cater to them, that's a nice, small selection of hardware that made Apple's stuff so appealing.
CMOS 7:51 PM - 30 December, 2016
I didn't have any issues when I tested with SSL a while back other than the screen resolution but serato posted this:

support.serato.com
 6 8:14 PM - 30 December, 2016
"There is currently a known compatibility issue between the Microsoft Surface Pro and Surface Book series computers and Serato DJ. The problem originates from an the hardware configuration and symptoms can range from bad or no audio, to connection failure.

Due to this we do not recommend using Microsoft Surface computers for use with Serato DJ, especially in any live or performance scenarios. "

Well, that pretty much kills it.

nm
popnwave 8:38 PM - 30 December, 2016
Well damn the man..

Yeah I did the screen resolution tweak and it makes SDJ viewable on it. So many of the anniversary fixes in Win10 on it fixed my huge complaints I wonder if they have revisited it since.

I'll hook it up in the studio and let it run all night long hehe.
Crackpipe 9:22 PM - 30 December, 2016
I have had an SP3 for about 6 months and then upgraded myself to an SP4 16 GB RAM because I could at work (boss wasn't too happy lol). We have 3 Surfacebooks at work.

Here's my take:

I would never ever advise anyone to get a SP3/4 for business use, let alone DJ use.

Too many quirky problems that a standard laptop is NOT going to have. Your keyboard will stop responding, your mouse will not work, dual monitors are sketchy. You'll be doing hardware resets constantly (power button and volume up key) a lot.

Plus the screen is way too small to be used for DJing. The SP4s are slick devices for guest service staff people and customer facing client services people who are moving around.

Ask yourself this...What is the advantage of using the SP4 over a traditional laptop? There is not much of an advantage other than it's tablet form factor, touch screen, and portability.
And all those advantages are not advantages you want or need when DJing.

I don't know about you, but I prefer a big screen (15" macbook), with a decent big keyboard and durability and ports to plug gear into.

But that's just me. I like stability and comfort when I DJ.

Now the Surfacebooks are pretty slick and if I didn't have a macbook for personal use and if I could upgrade my SP4, I'd go with a Surfacebook.

The form factor is somewhat at least usable comfort wise for DJs IMO, but then again it's Win 10 and I'm not a SSL/SDJ fan with Windows.
popnwave 10:06 PM - 30 December, 2016
^^^ good points - although the stuff you mentioned plagued me when we first got the SP4s the subsequent updates have made it a pleasant experience.
Crackpipe 10:13 PM - 30 December, 2016
True, my SP4 is a bit more stable than a year ago.
 6 6:45 AM - 3 January, 2017
"I don't know about you, but I prefer a big screen (15" macbook), with a decent big keyboard and durability and ports to plug gear into."

I agree with you. This is why I'm not really feeling the new MBP's and I'm perfectly fine with my two older ones. (2011 and 2015 models)

nm
Lou Dog 11:51 AM - 4 January, 2017
I have an Surface Pro 1 (i5 with 8 gigs ram Windows 8.1). It has a 128gb HD which I have a "main" library on. Also a 64Gb micro SD card that I use to transfer the more recent stuff on. I got a killer deal on one from groupon and said fuck it. It's just for fun/as a backup.

I'm actually shocked for an older model how well it's performed. Reads files from the SD card with zero issue. Latency is fine. Screen is small but for me works fine, I can read the library but waveforms are small. Not a big issue tho.

My big gripe is that I really wanted to use it without the shitty keyboard it comes with. But when you click on the search field then type on the touch screen the formatting of the screen gets JACKED and makes it unusable. I have to restart serato which blows. But as a backup in a pinch I could make it through a night fine, by not searching or using thee shitty keyboard. Maybe someone has a workaround. I've thought about getting a different small Bluetooth keyboard (with built in mouse) but then it kind of defeats the purpose of using a surface to DJ.

I will say it looks pretty slick on a stand just above my mixer. You wouldn't think I was using any type of computer from a distance. Hopefully this info helps someone. I'm a Mac guy to the core so I could be missing some things on Windows. First PC product I've owned in over a decade. But I see them go for $250 refurbished, which for me is a nice portable backup

Tested only with Rane 62 and Akai AMX with 1200s
CMOS 12:38 AM - 5 January, 2017
There are apps for your phone that will give you a bluetooth keyboard and mouse so you dont have to lug a keyboard.
Lou Dog 4:40 AM - 5 January, 2017
True. Didn't even think about that. I have an iPad mini and an old iPod touch that i might try with this. Rather not use my phone. But thanks for the suggestion CMOS. Any recommendation on apps to control a MS Surface with Apple products?
CMOS 6:07 PM - 5 January, 2017
Code:E 11:42 AM - 8 January, 2017
The only thing keeping me on OSX is Mix Emergency. Apple has definitely made some missteps. I hope to see them fixed but I dont see price point ever being fixed. I'm cool with spending top dollar on to dollar gear..... Apple is not at the moment providing top dollar gear.
popnwave 3:46 PM - 10 January, 2017
Quote:
The only thing keeping me on OSX is Mix Emergency. Apple has definitely made some missteps. I hope to see them fixed but I dont see price point ever being fixed. I'm cool with spending top dollar on to dollar gear..... Apple is not at the moment providing top dollar gear.

I think the demand on the 2015s will remain strong, just like the pre-retina 2012s for a while.
DJ Quartz 3:51 PM - 10 January, 2017
Quote:
he only thing keeping me on OSX is Mix Emergency. Apple has definitely made some missteps. I hope to see them fixed but I dont see price point ever being fixed. I'm cool with spending top dollar on to dollar gear..... Apple is not at the moment providing top dollar gear.

This is one the main reasons I switched to a Mac as well as performance issues.

I'm watching Razer as well to see what products they come out with because the Razer Blade Pro line is way too expensive.

I don't see myself switching back to Windows soon until the performance matches and Serato Video gets a major update.