DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Power Mac G5

DJ MDX 4:51 PM - 7 July, 2004
Are there any known issues with the new Power Mac G5.

Is it compatible. I plan on buying one and either SSL or Tr*kt*r.

Also can it be used as a stand alone program with out the use of the vinyl or cd simulation pieces. What I mean is, if I have a small gig and just want to take the puter and not the CD/TT will I be able to do this.

Thanks in advance,
DJ MDX
Shaun W 5:16 PM - 7 July, 2004
Hello DJ MDX,

The Power Mac G5 should work great, as long as you are running OSX. lol

Scratch LIVE can be used without turntables and CD players but you will not be able to do any wicky wicky scratch tricks. You will need to use the hardware interface and a DJ mixer to "mix" the audio together.
DJ MDX 5:31 PM - 7 July, 2004
Quote:
Hello DJ MDX,

The Power Mac G5 should work great, as long as you are running OSX. lol

Scratch LIVE can be used without turntables and CD players but you will not be able to do any wicky wicky scratch tricks. You will need to use the hardware interface and a DJ mixer to "mix" the audio together.

LOL @ wicky wicky scratch tricks...too funny. So it seems you will still need some sort of external device...meaning a mixer. Ok, I guess I can live with that.

Thanks for the help...now back to my wicky wicky scratch tricks..LOL
cashless clay 7:04 PM - 7 July, 2004
A piece of advice from a fellow Mac head AND FinalCRASH owner... DO NOT buy TFS!!!!
penterry 4:20 PM - 8 July, 2004
Quote:

It should be noted Scratch Live software will not load without the hardware interface connected to the computer's USB port.
feniks 6:00 PM - 8 July, 2004
it will load you just won't be able to access any of the vinyl control functions. however you will still be able to manage your crates and track info without being connnected to the USB box. you can also access most of the setup features \9with the exception of the calibration settings) without the USB interface.
DJ Ty - agiprodj 8:12 AM - 16 July, 2004
My guess would be on a G5 the usb buffer could be set at 0. Monster amounts of CPU horsepower.

I want one.
12micsn1 6:01 PM - 24 July, 2004
WOW...buffer set at zero an monster horsepower can only come from a desktop. I have a dual 2 ghz G5 but to bad its not as portable as a laptop.