DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Let's have a moment of silence for Mixcrate....

DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:01 PM - 20 October, 2016
We started Mixcrate in Spring 2010 with the ambition of building a community site where DJs can discover and connect with other DJs and their fans. It has always been our goal to provide a welcoming home for all levels of DJs - influential and up-and-coming. As a result, we built one of the most supportive DJ communities in the world.

Mixcrate has been a side project built by a handful of individuals just as passionate as the DJs we served. We have been a self-funded website - working during our free-time, balancing life while supporting our other personal endeavors.

Unfortunately, Mixcrate received a letter from a respected entity in the record industry. While Mixcrate does not believe the site violates any laws, we do not have the means to operate under current conditions. It's with deep regret that we must shut down the website.

Thank you for the support through the years. If you have enjoyed and discovered new DJs through our site, please continue supporting them and the art of DJing.

The only time a goodbye is painful is when you know you'll never say hello again, so we'll just say, we'll see you guys later.

— Mixcrate

www.mixcrate.com
Gio Alex 7:22 PM - 20 October, 2016
The tried though. R.I.P. Props to them.
Logisticalstyles 7:50 PM - 20 October, 2016
Dammit man! I may seriously just go back to making CDs for my mixes. First SoundCloud , now Mixcrate? I have a mixcloud account but I'm not trying to invest anymore time uploading mixes that can get taken down without any notice.

This is part of the reason why I refuse to Facebook live mixes. Everyone I know that does them gets them taken down.
CMOS 8:29 PM - 20 October, 2016
+1

Sucks, first soundcloud, now these guys.

Im gonna start scouring russian hosting sites. They dont give a fuck about copyrights.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:31 AM - 21 October, 2016
So. ya'll know this is only the beginning right?

Your harddrives are next...

This is actually a PATH to getting those who REALLY want to DJ to be the only ones standing.

So, technology has evolved to the point where EVERYBODY that's a working DJ is using digital media.

Music and record companies have patiently waited for the digital evolution to take over.

Music scanning technology is only getting better, and it's assisted by you great DJ's who connect to the internet and "Fix" or "Update" those online databases with the correct Artists and Names when it tries to download artwork to your system.

Do you guys really think those services are FREE?

They're quietly mining your data.

You get your digital music from SOMEWHERE, so eventually you'll have to pay, and it will have a digital signature.

Have a smart rep get with the DJ Software companies to force their product to have you comply with whatever music licensing scheme they come up with...

Conversely, they get with the ABC to enforce (or sway) those bars, clubs, and establishments that happen to play music, to adopt some type of dongle that you have to interface through to either validate that either the PLACE pays some type of royalty fee, or that YOU do.

The technology is there...

Those who wake up wanting to DJ will have to think twice as it will soon COST them.

Keep sleeping on technology.
 6 4:04 AM - 21 October, 2016
"Keep sleeping on technology."

Of all people you say that? SMH.

hahahaha

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:11 AM - 21 October, 2016
smh....

I'm ALWAYS on the cutting edge of technology...

Again, one of the first who had an SL3 on here...

I just refuse to buy unnecessary stuff if what I have works.
 6 5:31 AM - 21 October, 2016
"I'm ALWAYS on the cutting edge of technology..."

hahaha. Stop playing. No one believes that. You need more people.

nm
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:15 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:
"I'm ALWAYS on the cutting edge of technology..."

hahaha. Stop playing. No one believes that. You need more people.

nm

Lol, you can almosr hear his mixer laughing in the background
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:16 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:

Conversely, they get with the ABC to enforce (or sway) those bars, clubs, and establishments that happen to play music, to adopt some type of dongle that you have to interface through to either validate that either the PLACE pays some type of royalty fee, or that YOU do.

The ABC can barley enforce the basic rules it has in place as is.
RogerRabbit 2:20 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:
They're quietly mining your data.

The information is there for anyone to mine the data, not just companies.

Quote:
You get your digital music from SOMEWHERE, so eventually you'll have to pay, and it will have a digital signature.

Digital signature is to tell that a file is authentic. I don't think Dj's will care if the music comes directly from the record company, as long as they can play the track. Besides, digital signatures are crackable :)

Quote:
Have a smart rep get with the DJ Software companies to force their product to have you comply with whatever music licensing scheme they come up with...

This is possible.

Quote:

I don't see this happening. Plus, it will be hard to enforce.
Unless they start employing "music police".
RogerRabbit 2:23 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:

Nah bruh - you always strike me as the sanford and son type, not the tony stark type :)
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:39 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Nah bruh - you always strike me as the sanford and son type, not the tony stark type :)

Now that was funny!
 6 4:17 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Fucken RR.... lmao!

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:49 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:

hahaha. Stop playing. No one believes that

Lol, and when was the last time I gave an "F" of what you or anybody else thought?

Lmao.

C'mon man, you already know.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:54 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:

Which one? The Realistic or the 56?

Both of which I will scorch you on with no problem.

Lol, look, go set up some lights and photo booths, and oh, while you're at it, I might have a valet job for you as well....lmao.

Shine up that vest son!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:56 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

The ABC can barley enforce the basic rules it has in place as is.

This may be true, but I know when it gets time for cats to get their liquor licenses renewed, the ABC is walking around with their chest puffed out.

All it will take is some money as an incentive.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:58 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Lol, look, go set up some lights and photo booths, and oh, while you're at it, I might have a valet job for you as well....lmao.

Shine up that vest son!

Whoops! I thought you were Joee**, damn iPhone...

In YOUR case....wait, do you even still DJ? lmao.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:12 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:

Agreed, but I'm talking about how losey goosey cats are with their entire libraries and their attachment to the internet. These companies are using the local DJ to QA their databases to further improve their scanning technology for music recognition.

Quote:
Digital signature is to tell that a file is authentic. I don't think Dj's will care if the music comes directly from the record company, as long as they can play the track. Besides, digital signatures are crackable :)

Sure it's to tell if a file is Authentic, which is exactly the point. You've now downloaded a file that has a certain fingerprint, which can ultimately be monitored for playback and charged accordingly.

Think Soundscan, but at a laptop level.

Quote:
This is possible.

On top of that, have them quietly build it into the various DVS companies code for YEARS on the sneak, so you can't even go back to a "Previous" version that doesn't have it...

Quote:

Why?
The technology is there. They can come up with an electronic DJ License, that you pay a fee for. That entitles you to play at certain places, that REQUIRE you to have this license. At the time you set up to play, they scan you in, and they're CLEAR for the night as they have a Sound Scan dongle somewhere in their system that YOU have to play through.

It's not hard at all.

DJ'ing is about to get RIGHT BACK to what it was intended to do.

The only difference is that the world doesn't need a DJ to break new records, the artist can do it themselves.

Before there were 2 types of DJ's.

The one in the CLUB, and the one on the Radio. Both got PROMO records, and technically were supposed to send them back when the Promo was done.

The Mobile DJ came on the scene and messed up the formula, but it couldn't be stopped.

Now, since the one source for new music is via a Digital format, it can be tracked, unless the artist releases it for free...but convince an artist that they can get PAID for EACH download, what do you think they're gonna do?

.99 cents per song X's a million downloads / listens is a lot of change if they can get their arms around the process.

So the DJ who had a harddrive full of songs with no DJ license faces extinction.

WOTCH.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:43 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Agreed, but I'm talking about how losey goosey cats are with their entire libraries and their attachment to the internet. These companies are using the local DJ to QA their databases to further improve their scanning technology for music recognition.

Quote:

Sure it's to tell if a file is Authentic, which is exactly the point. You've now downloaded a file that has a certain fingerprint, which can ultimately be monitored for playback and charged accordingly.

Quote:
This is possible.

On top of that, have them quietly build it into the various DVS companies code for YEARS on the sneak, so you can't even go back to a "Previous" version that doesn't have it...

Quote:

Why?
The technology is there. They can come up with an electronic DJ License, that you pay a fee for. That entitles you to play at certain places, that REQUIRE you to have this license. At the time you set up to play, they scan you in, and they're CLEAR for the night as they have a Sound Scan dongle somewhere in their system that YOU have to play through.

It's not hard at all.

The only difference is that the world doesn't need a DJ to break new records, the artist can do it themselves.

The one in the CLUB, and the one on the Radio. Both got PROMO records, and technically were supposed to send them back when the Promo was done.

The Mobile DJ came on the scene and messed up the formula, but it couldn't be stopped.

Now, since the one source for new music is via a Digital format, it can be tracked, unless the artist releases it for free...but convince an artist that they can get PAID for EACH download, what do you think they're gonna do?

.99 cents per song X's a million downloads / listens is a lot of change if they can get their arms around the process.

So the DJ who had a harddrive full of songs with no DJ license faces extinction.

WOTCH.

The think is there are a ton of ways to get around that scenario. For example, just because an mp3 is digital dosent mean it can be tracked
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:44 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Probably....which one are you referring to as cutting edge tho?
Papa Midnight 8:08 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:
I'm ALWAYS on the cutting edge of technology

Windows XP.

The Cutting Edge Edition. lmao.

Sorry, Johnny. That one made me crack up lol.

Quote:
Quote:

Got damn! lol.
AKIEM 8:15 PM - 21 October, 2016
Windows XP.

cmon PM, you cant toss a zinger like that out there then apologize for it
Crackpipe 8:15 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
This is possible.

Quote:

Why?

It's not hard at all.

WOTCH.

Labels probably aren't interested in going after DJs since that is a tiny percentage of music that is out there. They are more interested in the general population that has illegal music or is not paying royalities.

I should also mention that businesses that play music (coffee shops, restaurants, clothing stores, etc) are now most likely streaming their music via Spotify or some other service.

Plus there is no way to embed your sci-fi dongle theory with the current music formats (.wav, mp3, aac) etc.

Maybe in the year 2070, the world will be run by a single dictator who enforces that everyone in the world must delete all their mp3s, aac, .wav files and only use your sci-fi fantasy file format that requires you to plug in a dongle before you can play it because you know, DJs who aren't licensed to play music is a top priority for labels.
Dj Shamann 8:39 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:
either the PLACE pays some type of royalty fee, or that YOU do.

The place already does pay the royalty fee. Bars that are on the level pay PRO fees.

Quote:
I have a mixcloud account but I'm not trying to invest anymore time uploading mixes that can get taken down without any notice.

Since when is Mixcloud taking mixes down?
Logisticalstyles 8:43 PM - 21 October, 2016
I'm talking about the possibility of them getting taken down. Mixcrate didn't give any notice to the DJs that they were going away. Who's to say that Mixcloud isn't next to get " a letter from a respected entity in the record industry."
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:03 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:
The think is there are a ton of ways to get around that scenario. For example, just because an mp3 is digital dosent mean it can be tracked

Absolutely, but again, the point of the mp3 is to play it no?

There are two ways (at a minimum) that this can be ultimately be shut down.

You play the altered mp3, but the MUSIC is still able to be scanned and thus a royalty fee assessed, a la Sound Scan, now apply that bottleneck in the DVS software itself (your own laptop) or ultimately through the CLUB system you're playing on.

Folks on Youtube, Facebook, Soundcloud, and everywhere else are playing songs at ANY bitrate and still getting locked down.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:04 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Probably....which one are you referring to as cutting edge tho?

lol, they were at their time...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:05 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
I'm ALWAYS on the cutting edge of technology

Windows XP.

Sorry, Johnny. That one made me crack up lol.

Look, I invest in QUALITY...

That's why my stuff lasts so long...

Besides, the ONLY other person worried about what a DJ uses...

Is another DJ.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:12 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:
Labels probably aren't interested in going after DJs since that is a tiny percentage of music that is out there. They are more interested in the general population that has illegal music or is not paying royalities.

Nobody said it was JUST DJ's, but why not? We're still considered part of the population that obtains music, but it's not just that one version, we get it ALL.

DJ's know how to get a LOT of music for free or low cost these days, and if they can find a way to generate MORE income off of the original DJ "model" that was put in place initially, they will eventually do it.

Quote:
I should also mention that businesses that play music (coffee shops, restaurants, clothing stores, etc) are now most likely streaming their music via Spotify or some other service.

Which proves my point, they're paying somehow.

Quote:
Plus there is no way to embed your sci-fi dongle theory with the current music formats (.wav, mp3, aac) etc.[/quote[

Embed what? This has nothing to do with the file actually, again, picture a Sound Scan agent running on your DVS, or through the clubs system that you're playing on.

[quoteMaybe in the year 2070, the world will be run by a single dictator who enforces that everyone in the world must delete all their mp3s, aac, .wav files and only use your sci-fi fantasy file format that requires you to plug in a dongle before you can play it because you know, DJs who aren't licensed to play music is a top priority for labels.

Lmao, doesn't Apple ALREADY stop you from playing UNLICENSED MUSIC on their devices?

You're kidding me, right? lol.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:14 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:
The place already does pay the royalty fee. Bars that are on the level pay PRO fees.

Then they're already part of the model. Add some more technology, electronic DJ licenses, etc..etc. and there you go.

Quote:
Since when is Mixcloud taking mixes down?

You know that's next, right?
Dj Shamann 9:25 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:
You know that's next, right?

No, I don't know that. But I'll quote you on it if you want.

Mixcloud doesn't allow downloads, (apparently) pays royalties and go by the book. If they do go down I won't be one of these people with my eggs in one basket, though.

Quote:
I'm talking about the possibility of them getting taken down.

That's what we have our own websites for though. People know they can my mixes on my website, whether it's embedded from Soundcloud, Mixcloud, Mixcrate or whatever's next, there's always a central HQ to find them

Quote:
Who's to say that Mixcloud isn't next to get " a letter from a respected entity in the record industry."

Nobody, but their model is different than the other guys. They're basically just a streaming service and as I said to Johnny, they're supposed to be on the level with labels.

As long as you're prepared for it (website, not putting all your eggs in one basket etc) it should be nothing more than re-uploading to whatever's next. Yeah, it's a bit of a pain in the ass but it's not like you're "starting over" like the guys who had no web presence other than Soundcloud.
Dj Shamann 9:30 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:
Folks on Youtube, Facebook, Soundcloud, and everywhere else are playing songs at ANY bitrate and still getting locked down.

Except that Youtube has started to accept the reality of today's practices and are allowing copywritten music again. They even let you search to see what rules may apply when uploading a song. I even had a mix that was blocked because of a Price song (which i had forgotten when uploading) reinstated.

They still aren't there with visuals (ie. VDJ mixes) but it's bound to happen.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:30 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:
I'm talking about the possibility of them getting taken down. Mixcrate didn't give any notice to the DJs that they were going away. Who's to say that Mixcloud isn't next to get " a letter from a respected entity in the record industry."

Boom....

Cats just need to be ready to burn some CD's...
Dj Shamann 9:32 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:

Cats just need to not put all their faith in every "mix service" that pops up.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:35 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:
No, I don't know that. But I'll quote you on it if you want.

Mixcloud doesn't allow downloads, (apparently) pays royalties and go by the book. If they do go down I won't be one of these people with my eggs in one basket, though.

NOW you're talking...

Quote:
That's what we have our own websites for though. People know they can my mixes on my website, whether it's embedded from Soundcloud, Mixcloud, Mixcrate or whatever's next, there's always a central HQ to find them

NOW we're talking....Your AVERAGE cat isn't going to invest in that type of bandwidth.

See the DJ population shrinking?

Quote:
Nobody, but their model is different than the other guys. They're basically just a streaming service and as I said to Johnny, they're supposed to be on the level with labels.

I'm not too convinced, as a lot of those "Streaming" services seem to stop a LOT of vids and stuff going up. Including Facebook.

Quote:
As long as you're prepared for it (website, not putting all your eggs in one basket etc) it should be nothing more than re-uploading to whatever's next. Yeah, it's a bit of a pain in the ass but it's not like you're "starting over" like the guys who had no web presence other than Soundcloud.

Now a LEGIT DJ would already have that popping, or close to it.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:37 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Except that Youtube has started to accept the reality of today's practices and are allowing copywritten music again. They even let you search to see what rules may apply when uploading a song. I even had a mix that was blocked because of a Price song (which i had forgotten when uploading) reinstated.

They still aren't there with visuals (ie. VDJ mixes) but it's bound to happen.

I've noticed that Youtube has turned it into a monetary thing...

For example, they tagged like ALL of my vids showing the songs I was playing, but left them up there and have links to Amazon music and whatnot...

Again, about the money.
Dj Shamann 9:38 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:
I'm not too convinced, as a lot of those "Streaming" services seem to stop a LOT of vids and stuff going up. Including Facebook.

I'm comparing more to Spotify, or Apple music. Even they're allowing DJs to do mixes now (I got accepted but haven't done anything yet) they had a collabo with another company, I'll have to look it up.

Facebook isn't really a streaming service, they allow you to upload but they make all their money on throttling the newsfeed algorithm, forcing us to advertise to our own page followers (that's a whole 'nother conversation)
Dj Shamann 9:39 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:
I've noticed that Youtube has turned it into a monetary thing...

For example, they tagged like ALL of my vids showing the songs I was playing, but left them up there and have links to Amazon music and whatnot...

Again, about the money.

Yeah, that's exactly where they're going with it. I guess they realized they could make more money compromising than fighting it. (A mistake the old music industry made)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:40 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Cats just need to not put all their faith in every "mix service" that pops up.

I've always believed that the Streaming thing was gonna come to a grinding halt the minute they were able to gain the tools to scan, identify, and have a nice little package ready to say HEY, you're playing my song...pay up.
Dj Shamann 9:42 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:
I've always believed that the Streaming thing was gonna come to a grinding halt the minute they were able to gain the tools to scan, identify, and have a nice little package ready to say HEY, you're playing my song...pay up.

That's it, it's only going to get smarter. Once upon a time it was "just put an intro, or thirty seconds of silence, and speed it up" etc. and so on. But now, Youtube can pick out stuff from 2 hours in, even if there's only 20 seconds of it.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:42 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:
I'm comparing more to Spotify, or Apple music. Even they're allowing DJs to do mixes now (I got accepted but haven't done anything yet) they had a collabo with another company, I'll have to look it up.

Facebook isn't really a streaming service, they allow you to upload but they make all their money on throttling the newsfeed algorithm, forcing us to advertise to our own page followers (that's a whole 'nother conversation)

I think they're STILL trying to figure this thing out...

Oh, and FB Advertising is a WHOLE other tread...CRAZY.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:44 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:
Yeah, that's exactly where they're going with it. I guess they realized they could make more money compromising than fighting it. (A mistake the old music industry made)

The old music industry didn't have the muscle (technology) to enforce it without a backlash..

This is why they're slowly infiltrating your harddrive....

Stay tuned...
Dj Shamann 9:47 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:

Yeah, they've got the user by the balls. Enough so that people have questioned the "ethics" of how their algorithm works, but in terms of social media presence, they're basically the Google of that world. (Think about how the average user gets their "news" and info nowadays)

They may not be the cool kids on the block with the younger demographic anymore, but they're definitely the most widely used over the biggest age range.
AKIEM 9:57 PM - 21 October, 2016
...dusting off the dual tape decks and dat machine...
Crackpipe 11:00 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Nobody said it was JUST DJ's, but why not? We're still considered part of the population that obtains music, but it's not just that one version, we get it ALL.

DJ's know how to get a LOT of music for free or low cost these days, and if they can find a way to generate MORE income off of the original DJ "model" that was put in place initially, they will eventually do it.

Quote:

Which proves my point, they're paying somehow.

Quote:
Plus there is no way to embed your sci-fi dongle theory with the current music formats (.wav, mp3, aac) etc.[/quote[

Embed what? This has nothing to do with the file actually, again, picture a Sound Scan agent running on your DVS, or through the clubs system that you're playing on.

[quoteMaybe in the year 2070, the world will be run by a single dictator who enforces that everyone in the world must delete all their mp3s, aac, .wav files and only use your sci-fi fantasy file format that requires you to plug in a dongle before you can play it because you know, DJs who aren't licensed to play music is a top priority for labels.

Lmao, doesn't Apple ALREADY stop you from playing UNLICENSED MUSIC on their devices?

You're kidding me, right? lol.

Apple doesn't stop anyone or have any method of preventing people from playing unlicensed music on any of their devices or applications.

See kids, this is what happens when you are stuck on Windows XP and Windows Media Player.... you have no clue
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:21 AM - 22 October, 2016
I think the real concern isnt in the labels scanning what your playing. IMHO the REAL "threat" is in the future, you wont have a hard drive...period. On a long enough time line all computers will be cloud based and the labels will just take/provide the music they deem fit out of your avaliable pool directly. The new macbook pros are a perfect example of how the tech company's put forward progress over the needs of pro users (hope you guys werent planning on using anything with a regular usb...sorry)
 6 1:39 AM - 22 October, 2016
Quote:

Windows XP.

hahahaha

nm
 6 1:44 AM - 22 October, 2016
For someone who doesn't care what others think...

Johnny is sure defending himself against every jab. hahaha

------

The game has changed. I'm actually surprised this didn't happen like 5 years ago. The DJ (to break new music) hasn't been a necessity to the industry for quite some time now.

nm
Logisticalstyles 3:03 AM - 22 October, 2016
Remember earlier this year when apple bought Dubset? Dubset owned thefuture.fm which is an online radio station that promised to pay DJs royalties for their mixes. The royalties never really gained any traction because you had to get listeners to pay for a subscription to thefuture.fm and then you got a very small piece of the subscription fee. After the acquisition nothing changed and it was still very quiet from them.
Now all of a sudden within the past two weeks this has started happening.
variety.com

I realize that the article is addressing DJ remixes but thefuture.fm has collected a large amount of DJ mixes. I know I have a good number of mixes on my page. Maybe there is still hope for getting DJ mixes online. You just have to know the right place to put your stuff.

Quote:
Apple doesn't stop anyone or have any method of preventing people from playing unlicensed music on any of their devices or applications.

In some ways they can. I have mp3s in my library that I can't play in iTunes or on my iPhone because my wife bought them under her old account years ago.
Logisticalstyles 3:05 AM - 22 October, 2016
Here's another article about it.
www.billboard.com
 6 4:20 AM - 22 October, 2016
One way or another non-record label commissioned remixes will need to be legal. Glad it's happening this way actually.

nm
Marv Incredible 10:49 AM - 22 October, 2016
@Logisticalstyles, thanks for sharing.
Papa Midnight 1:37 PM - 22 October, 2016
Quote:
The new macbook pros are a perfect example of how the tech company's put forward progress over the needs of pro users (hope you guys werent planning on using anything with a regular usb...sorry)

Apple pisses me off with this crap. "Forget an actual de facto industry standard (and I use that term for lack of a better one) in USB 3.0, and USB 3.1... Screw your 3.5mm connector. Here's our new crap. Deal with it, or buy an adapter."

The simple fact of the matter is that this is about money for Apple - who, if we're being realistic here, hasn't advanced anything in 4+ years of just recycling the same model unit, with a newer generation Intel i-series processor in place each time. Apple can, and will make more money from selling you a $30-70 adapter.

Quote:
Quote:

In some ways they can. I have mp3s in my library that I can't play in iTunes or on my iPhone because my wife bought them under her old account years ago.

People wonder why I'm still using Winamp, storing my personal music on a mirrored array, and won't subscribe to Spotify though...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:10 PM - 22 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, they've got the user by the balls. Enough so that people have questioned the "ethics" of how their algorithm works, but in terms of social media presence, they're basically the Google of that world. (Think about how the average user gets their "news" and info nowadays)

They may not be the cool kids on the block with the younger demographic anymore, but they're definitely the most widely used over the biggest age range.

I just recently peeped how serious that "Facebook Ad" campaign is.

That whole BOOST thing?

Yo, you can't even "Blast" a flyer using "Boost" without their "Approval". 20% of text to imagery.

Not a game.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:17 PM - 22 October, 2016
Quote:

See kids, this is what happens when you are stuck on Windows XP and Windows Media Player....

Looks like you didn't take Biggie's advice of "Do Not Get High On Your Own Supply" as you're definitely smoking...

And here's proof -
Quote:

Quote:
you have no clue

No, that sir is you...

So tell me, What's the premise behind Serato White Label again?

smh...

Don't Do Drugs.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:18 PM - 22 October, 2016
Quote:
I think the real concern isnt in the labels scanning what your playing. IMHO the REAL "threat" is in the future, you wont have a hard drive...period. On a long enough time line all computers will be cloud based and the labels will just take/provide the music they deem fit out of your avaliable pool directly. The new macbook pros are a perfect example of how the tech company's put forward progress over the needs of pro users (hope you guys werent planning on using anything with a regular usb...sorry)

And cats are ALREADY jumping on that whole keep all your music on a cloud mess....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:20 PM - 22 October, 2016
Quote:
People wonder why I'm still using Winamp, storing my personal music on a mirrored array, and won't subscribe to Spotify though...

lmao, WINAMP?

Ha ha...

Wait, Winamp and WinXP....

Hmmm.....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:27 PM - 22 October, 2016
Quote:
Enough so that people have questioned the "ethics" of how their algorithm works, but in terms of social media presence, they're basically the Google of that world.

And there you have it.

Facebook doesn't have to answer to ANYBODY.

It's ultimately a business, and YES, you can keep your free account, but over time they've realized how great a marketing tool it "can" be, as have we DJ's...and want to get paid for using their resources....

Us being able to blast a digital flyer out to all of our "friends" and their friends, vs. hand to hand passing of hardcopy, links to online music, vids, etc....

They're saving us a TON of money, and they want some, in the worst way.

How many of you have had your "tagging" privileges shut down a time or two because you tagged 200 people in a flyer?

Man listen.....They created their own microcosm of our world and apply their own rules.
 6 3:51 PM - 22 October, 2016
In some ways they can. I have mp3s in my library that I can't play in iTunes or on my iPhone

Some people just have no clue

BECAUSE my wife bought them under her old account years ago.

I Won't even bother explaining any further because some people just don't understand.

At any rate, there is some stuff that is reasonable when it comes to what's going to happen with DJs and music

And then there are all these theories that are great for a movie of the week on Lifetime.

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:08 PM - 22 October, 2016
lol, the point is that the TECHNOLOGY is there to limit what gets played on a certain device.

Or are you too busy watching Lifetime?

lmao.
 6 5:32 PM - 22 October, 2016
Quote:
lol, the point is that the TECHNOLOGY is there to limit what gets played on a certain device.

Or are you too busy watching Lifetime?

lmao.

I'll explain it in terms you can understand.

Try inserting a cassette tape your wife bought years ago into your CD player

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:43 PM - 22 October, 2016
Quote:

LMAO, are you REALLY trying to say that HIS music and HER music were of 2 different formats?

lmao...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:43 PM - 22 October, 2016
I see you and "Crackpipe" been hanging out lately....
AKIEM 5:50 PM - 22 October, 2016
toldya someone would dust off a cassette...
 6 5:52 PM - 22 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
LMAO, are you REALLY trying to say that HIS music and HER music were of 2 different formats?

lmao...

Not all mp3's are created equal. MP3's from the Apple Store from years ago are not the same are the ones that are on there now.

But... you already knew that. Right? lol

nm
 6 5:54 PM - 22 October, 2016
I bet you think all movies on a DVD (from different years) are also the same....

and I'm not talking about Blu Ray vs regular DVD.

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:31 PM - 22 October, 2016
Quote:
Not all mp3's are created equal. MP3's from the Apple Store from years ago are not the same are the ones that are on there now.

Oh wait, they came out with a new and improved MP3?

lmao....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:33 PM - 22 October, 2016
Quote:
I bet you think all movies on a DVD (from different years) are also the same....

Oh, OK!

So the DVD's that were obtained from BLOCKBUSTER won't work on the same device as DVD's purchased from Redbox....right?

lmaoooo....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:34 PM - 22 October, 2016
Man cats still using that MSU++ code~!

Bwhahahahahhaa
AKIEM 6:38 PM - 22 October, 2016
lol
AKIEM 6:38 PM - 22 October, 2016
no peeking
 6 7:01 PM - 22 October, 2016
Like I said. Why bother explaining. lol

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:43 PM - 22 October, 2016
Quote:
]Like I said. Why bother explaining.loll

No! We want to know the difference between MP3 Apple version 2.5.4 and MP3 XP SP3.... Lmao.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:39 PM - 22 October, 2016
Quote:
Here's another article about it.
www.billboard.com

Boom. Y'all see that? Technology that examines your mix with snippets in coercion with GraceNote? Y'all know what GraceNote is right?

And they say it right there.... This is NEW MONEY and the idea is to get cats aside from Apple on it.

Lmao @ some of y'all getting ready to get mixes rejected simply because they suck...lol, never mind the rules the rights holder has in place....
Papa Midnight 12:15 AM - 23 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

lmao, WINAMP?

Ha ha...

Wait, Winamp and WinXP....

Hmmm.....

Yeah. Winamp 5.666. Build date December 12, 2013. You want to discuss the release date of Windows XP? Nay, when Windows XP last got patched for a security update?

Laugh it up, Mr. Cutting Edge.

Quote:
Quote:

Oh wait, they came out with a new and improved MP3?

lmao....

Considering Apple has never used MP3, I'm not sure why this point was made in the first place. However, MP3 encoding did improved over the years - particularly through the work of LAME (lame.sourceforge.net).

Quote:
Technology that examines your mix with snippets in coercion with GraceNote? Y'all know what GraceNote is right?

And they say it right there.... This is NEW MONEY and the idea is to get cats aside from Apple on it.

...that's... not new. CDDB has been around since '98...

Likewise, "technology that examines [audio]"? Literally what NMR has been doing for the better part of two decades.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:47 AM - 23 October, 2016
Quote:
Yeah. Winamp 5.666. Build date December 12, 2013. You want to discuss the release date of Windows XP? Nay, when Windows XP last got patched for a security update?

Laugh it up, Mr. Cutting Edge.

Oh I am, every time I browse through that Serato DJ Help section...

Y'all got that POPPIN' like it's New Year's Eve in that mofo..lmao

Quote:
Considering Apple has never used MP3, I'm not sure why this point was made in the first place. However, MP3 encoding did improved over the years - particularly through the work of LAME (lame.sourceforge.net).

Ask ya boy 5.9 ->
Quote:

Quote:
...that's... not new. CDDB has been around since '98...

Likewise, "technology that examines [audio]"? Literally what NMR has been doing for the better part of two decades.

Who said the technology was new?

What's NEW is them finally monetizing it...

I love it when cats try to come in and save the day, and prove my point in the process..
Papa Midnight 2:41 AM - 23 October, 2016
Quote:

Quote:
Literally what NMR has been doing for the better part of two decades.

What are you talking about, dude?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:43 AM - 23 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Literally what NMR has been doing for the better part of two decades.

What are you talking about, dude?

Again, in your rush to be Captain Save a Hoe, you completely missed the fact that I'm talking about the RECORD COMPANIES, using the FREE info that some of you cats were uploading to the databases, to turn around and sharpen their scan technology and lock you out of Facebook streaming, and other services that are shaky about posting DJ mixes.
Papa Midnight 2:48 AM - 23 October, 2016
Uh huh...

Here ya go, champ.

i.imgur.com
RogerRabbit 5:51 PM - 23 October, 2016
Quote:
In some ways they can. I have mp3s in my library that I can't play in iTunes or on my iPhone

Use another program other than itunes and jailbreak your iphone.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:27 PM - 23 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

And cats are ALREADY jumping on that whole keep all your music on a cloud mess....

I forget the artist (kayne i think) but there was an issue recently where someone put out an album, hundreds of thousands of people bought it and via a cloud service, then the artist decided he didn't like the way tracks sounded and redid them. Which of course changed what the user bought via the cloud, Oh you really liked that feature verse on track 3 that you bought...well the artist decided he didn't so its not there anymore. Thanks for the cash
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:29 PM - 23 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Enough so that people have questioned the "ethics" of how their algorithm works, but in terms of social media presence, they're basically the Google of that world.

And there you have it.

Facebook doesn't have to answer to ANYBODY.

It's ultimately a business, and YES, you can keep your free account, but over time they've realized how great a marketing tool it "can" be, as have we DJ's...and want to get paid for using their resources....

Us being able to blast a digital flyer out to all of our "friends" and their friends, vs. hand to hand passing of hardcopy, links to online music, vids, etc....

They're saving us a TON of money, and they want some, in the worst way.

How many of you have had your "tagging" privileges shut down a time or two because you tagged 200 people in a flyer?

Man listen.....They created their own microcosm of our world and apply their own rules.

That shit really pisses me off. My fan pages have about a 1000 followers all together. Ill throw up a flyer and a week later ill check the stats..."5 people saw this post"....Dude I could have just left it on the screen on my computer at my house with the internet OFF and more people would have seen it.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:14 AM - 24 October, 2016
Quote:
That shit really pisses me off. My fan pages have about a 1000 followers all together. Ill throw up a flyer and a week later ill check the stats..."5 people saw this post"....Dude I could have just left it on the screen on my computer at my house with the internet OFF and more people would have seen it.

Ha ha, I put up a video 23 hours ago, and I have a message saying "Boost this post for $7.00 to reach up to 1,500 people." Meanwhile, the stats say that 1.243 People have ALREADY been reached...

smh.
 6 7:32 PM - 24 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
]Like I said. Why bother explaining.loll
No! We want to know the difference between MP3 Apple version 2.5.4 and MP3 XP SP3.... Lmao.

Got you so frazzle you couldn't even quote right. lol

nm
 6 7:35 PM - 24 October, 2016
"That shit really pisses me off. My fan pages have about a 1000 followers all together. Ill throw up a flyer and a week later ill check the stats..."5 people saw this post"....Dude I could have just left it on the screen on my computer at my house with the internet OFF and more people would have seen it."

lmao!!!!

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:02 PM - 24 October, 2016
Quote:
Got you so frazzle you couldn't even quote right. lol

That's it? That's all you got?

Man, what about those Y2K mp3's you keep telling us about..

Did they get the patch?

lmao.
 6 9:59 PM - 24 October, 2016
Do you even know what Y2K means?

and if so... are you aware of what year it is?

I think Alzheimer's is creeping on ya. lol

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:20 PM - 24 October, 2016
Of course I know what Y2K is, I was just wondering if your mp3's are compliant, Mr. MSU++.

Lol at your tactics...
 6 10:41 PM - 24 October, 2016
I play MP4's... but you wouldn't know anything about that Mr Y2K

hahaha

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:31 PM - 24 October, 2016
Quote:
I play MP4's...

And here it comes, the ole, switch up

But wait a few posts ago, you were Mr. MP3
Quote:

I'm still waiting on those different MP3's that you're talking about that Apple released that aren't the same as the ones out there now.... Lmao.
 6 11:52 PM - 24 October, 2016
Wait. So, you caught me on the mistake of Apple not releasing MP3's. Right? Oh, wait. You didn't. Because, like I said, you know nothing. lol

But yeah, their music catalog is STILL not the same from a few years back vs now.

... but you knew that. Right? lol

nm
Taipanic 3:00 PM - 26 October, 2016
Quote:
Wait. So, you caught me on the mistake of Apple not releasing MP3's. Right? Oh, wait. You didn't. Because, like I said, you know nothing. lol

But yeah, their music catalog is STILL not the same from a few years back vs now.

nm

6 is right. There was a time when songs purchased in ITunes wouldn't play in Serato and other MP3 players. Apple had changed account types and how the MP3s were encoded. All part of their digital rights formats that backfired for them when people couldn't play songs they purchased on non-Apple equipment and raised a fuss. At one point they had two different type of songs you could purchase - their regular one and one without the DR crap embedded.
en.wikipedia.org
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:49 PM - 26 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

nm

6 is right. There was a time when songs purchased in ITunes wouldn't play in Serato and other MP3 players. Apple had changed account types and how the MP3s were encoded. All part of their digital rights formats that backfired for them when people couldn't play songs they purchased on non-Apple equipment and raised a fuss. At one point they had two different type of songs you could purchase - their regular one and one without the DR crap embedded.
en.wikipedia.org

THANK YOU!!!!!!

So like I said, there was and still is the ability to lock files to a CERTAIN DEVICE....

I love it when cats prove my point....
 6 10:52 PM - 26 October, 2016
"I love it when cats prove my point...."

"6 is right."

Yup. Me too. ;)

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:04 PM - 26 October, 2016
Yep, you're right when you prove my point!
 6 11:28 PM - 26 October, 2016
Quote:

Here is your point....

"lol, the point is that the TECHNOLOGY is there to limit what gets played on a certain device."

... and I've been agreeing with you. Heck, even gave you some examples.

But, here's where you were absolutely wrong.

"Oh wait, they came out with a new and improved MP3?"

And yes, they did... Apple also modified their AAC files.

Heck, You didn't even need to look far enough. Don't you remember when whitelabel came out? A whole new mp3 - yes that limits it gets played on a a certain device...

but noooo... you're too busy arguing and disagreeing with me on the same point.

;)

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:01 AM - 27 October, 2016
Little man, once I mentioned White Label, then you had no choice but to trying and turn your argument to support mine...

lmao.

Remember this? ->
Quote:

At that point you're talking about different FORMATS of music, right?

lmao...

At what point did we start talking about different formats?

That was you just wanting to type to hear yourself type....lmao.
 6 7:14 AM - 28 October, 2016
Different format perhaps but it's also different technology.

Boom! Check mate.

Again

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:45 AM - 28 October, 2016
Quote:

LMAO!

Even YOU know that was stupid.
AKIEM 3:21 PM - 28 October, 2016
lol

no peeking
 6 7:17 PM - 28 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

LMAO!

Even YOU know that was stupid.

That's your rebuttal?

I think I just turned Johnny into Trump. lol

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:20 PM - 28 October, 2016
Again, you're just typing to hear yourself type...smh.
 6 10:14 PM - 28 October, 2016
Johnny talking about anything on this forum.

Sources Cited:

1. You already know.
2. I know it.
3. Everybody knows it.

nm