DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Do Not Upgrade to macOS Sierra (Mac OS X 10.12)

Papa Midnight 10:18 PM - 16 September, 2016
As we all know, with a new OS comes the usual inundation of complaints from people who updated their production machines to a new OS, and suddenly have found that their hardware and/or software no longer works like it used to.

Accordingly, this is your regular reminder to NOT update your performance machines to the new OS until it is deemed as supported by both your software provider (in this case, Serato), and your hardware provider.

Of course, this thread will do nothing to stop people who are bound and determined to update anyway, but you all have been warned. We went through this with El Capitan, Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion, Lion, and even Snow Leopard. It's bound to happen again.

For your own sake, don't do it!

This especially goes for those of you still using Serato Scratch Live who either can't or refuse to update to Serato DJ.
popnwave 10:21 PM - 16 September, 2016
Quote:

This especially goes for those of you still using Serato Scratch Live who either can't or refuse to update to Serato DJ.

Considering SSL didn't work anymore with El Cap for most, that would be bold but stupid move by most.
 6 10:37 PM - 16 September, 2016
Running with Sierra without problems

nm
Rebelguy 11:50 PM - 16 September, 2016
Sierra seems to be working for a fair amount of people so far. Apple didn't screw around with the audio this time I guess.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:52 AM - 17 September, 2016
WinXP with SSL 1.9.1/2 for the WIN....
Crackpipe 7:08 AM - 18 September, 2016
Quote:
WinXP with SSL 1.9.1/2 for the WIN....

for the WIN in 2009...

My backup laptop is a win xp machine to pair with my SL1 and with 1.9.2 or is it 1.8.2 and runs flawlessly although it's a strictly DJ laptop.

But in the year 2016, SSL3 and Mac is how you do it.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:44 AM - 18 September, 2016
Quote:

I don't know about that. There's a lot of you MAC folks complaining lately....
popnwave 6:47 PM - 18 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Only the idiots who upgraded to El Cap and realized they f'd up. It was like the fools who jumped on Vista when it came out, same type of fall out occurred in music as well as gaming. Then once 7 dropped it was all good again and it seems like 10 is solid as well.

El Cap has really been the first HUGE stumbling block I've seen on the Apple OS side in a LONG time. I probably will ride Yosemite until my 2012 MBP dies, but I do think macOS Sierra will be a step in the right direction once the testing on the release is done.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 12:55 AM - 19 September, 2016
Just got an email from the Serato team saying DO NOT UPGRADE!! Not that I would but that's from the horses mouth.
 6 2:48 AM - 19 September, 2016
"We've been testing Serato DJ across the beta versions of macOS Sierra and should be able to confirm support shortly after the official release."

They ALWAYS say that. It's all about support. It doesn't mean that it doesn't work.

nm
SeriousCyrus 2:54 AM - 19 September, 2016
Ok, i get it, but, i kinda think serato is now a big boy company that really should be testing their software against the betas.

While i see a lot of people saying don't upgrade, fair enough, but ffs, download the security updates, especially if you're running a computer on a public network.
Crackpipe 6:34 AM - 19 September, 2016
So what are these issues with SSL and El Cap that people are having?

I disabled SIP, installed SSL, re-enabled SIP and it's been flawless.

Granted I only play out a few times a month, but even at home I haven't had one issue.
boabmatic 10:19 AM - 19 September, 2016
Quote:
Ok, i get it, but, i kinda think serato is now a big boy company that really should be testing their software against the betas.

While i see a lot of people saying don't upgrade, fair enough, but ffs, download the security updates, especially if you're running a computer on a public network.

they will test on beta's but they need to do full testing on the final release to announce official support as change between PB5 and GM could potentially break something. (there has already been 2 GM versions released in the last week so there are still changes happening to the builds right up to the official release tomorrow )

I normally install the official release on a second drive to test out SDJ and ableton before updating on my primary partition , but due to the issues with El Capitan I think I'll wait a month or so before updating just to be safe.
eugguy 4:09 PM - 19 September, 2016
I thought it was always best to upgrade your Mac OS, especially when playing bigger events...
DJ Remy USA 4:59 PM - 19 September, 2016
We just sent the email out at work for our customers not to upgrade. I work in weirdest I.T space where we let our customers have admin rights to mess everything up for us to fix it. Guess it keeps me employed.
pdidy 4:59 PM - 19 September, 2016
Quote:
I thought it was always best to upgrade your Mac OS, especially when playing bigger events...

Im not sure if this was serious or sarcasm ?
pdidy 5:12 PM - 19 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Only the idiots who upgraded to El Cap and realized they f'd up. It was like the fools who jumped on Vista when it came out, same type of fall out occurred in music as well as gaming. Then once 7 dropped it was all good again and it seems like 10 is solid as well.

El Cap has really been the first HUGE stumbling block I've seen on the Apple OS side in a LONG time. I probably will ride Yosemite until my 2012 MBP dies, but I do think macOS Sierra will be a step in the right direction once the testing on the release is done.

^^^This. Now you would think those El capitan "idiots" victims will be more mindful this time around and proceed with extreme caution but we will see.......
popnwave 8:29 PM - 19 September, 2016
Quote:

media4.giphy.com
DJ LIL M 12:54 AM - 20 September, 2016
well my hardward parter Vestax is dead..but i will wait for serato support
djransom 5:02 PM - 21 September, 2016
Quote:
We just sent the email out at work for our customers not to upgrade. I work in weirdest I.T space where we let our customers have admin rights to mess everything up for us to fix it. Guess it keeps me employed.

It's the same where I work at as well.
CMOS 6:40 PM - 21 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

It's the same where I work at as well.

Im in this club as well. They say it would be too much of a headache for the users if they are locked down. The only client who let us lock them down the right way is the one who got hit badly with cryptolocker on their file share (their local "IT Guy" who had full admin rights to the share is the one who downloaded it, hes also the guy who convinced his management that they didnt need virus/malware protection on their servers lol).

Ugh.
DJ Remy USA 1:41 AM - 24 September, 2016
Males no damn sense man I get so irritated sometimes by some of things people do. Then management gets mad cause everything is always broke.
Logisticalstyles 2:45 PM - 24 September, 2016
All of my users at work have full admin rights as well, and management is cool with video streaming and Facebook at work. It's like the wild west out here.

I've upgraded to Sierra on my 2012 mac mini at work and so far there have been no issues. I have an older 2010 MacbookPro that I can use to test Serato with at home. I can try it out with an AMX, SB2, and an SL1.
Crackpipe 7:12 PM - 24 September, 2016
Quote:
All of my users at work have full admin rights as well, and management is cool with video streaming and Facebook at work. It's like the wild west out here.

I've upgraded to Sierra on my 2012 mac mini at work and so far there have been no issues. I have an older 2010 MacbookPro that I can use to test Serato with at home. I can try it out with an AMX, SB2, and an SL1.

Have you tested it with SSL or just SDJ?

Only about 30% of users at my company have admin access. But we are cool with Youtube, Facebook, hell I've even got requests to UNBLOCK Hulu and Netflix and we will do it. When people have shopping and celebrity gossip webpages up, nobody will question you because there's a good chance it's for work.

Our CEO will send out emails with links to videos of his son (filmmaker), our communications team spams our employees with random shit twice a week.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:56 PM - 24 September, 2016
Man you guys are lucky. Since I work with sensitive health data our shits on LOCK, No Facebook, no youtube, CD Drives and USBs are on lockdown, the works.....luckily its 2016 and I have my own device 6 inches from my workstation to do all of the above lol
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:22 PM - 24 September, 2016
Quote:
All of my users at work have full admin rights as well, and management is cool with video streaming and Facebook at work. It's like the wild west out here..

Wait, what? lmao.

Nah, only a SELECT "few" supposedly have admin rights at the job...

Man, they cut cats off from Facebook, Gmail, AOL and YouTube...

Except if you have the "Backend Proxy" address....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:24 PM - 24 September, 2016
Quote:
Man you guys are lucky. Since I work with sensitive health data our shits on LOCK, No Facebook, no youtube, CD Drives and USBs are on lockdown, the works.....luckily its 2016 and I have my own device 6 inches from my workstation to do all of the above lol

They JUST locked down, USB's...well...they put up a message saying your interaction with the USB is being recorded....

Wow @ CD drives...

I thought we were bad with taking away Solitaire.....geesh.
Logisticalstyles 2:17 PM - 25 September, 2016
Quote:
Have you tested it with SSL or just SDJ?

So far just SDJ. The AMX worked immediately but the SB2 not so much. When I connect the SB2 I see a message in SDJ saying the SB2 has been detected and is being installed but nothing ever happens. I'll check the Pioneer site to see if there is anything I need to download or update for it to fully work. I'll trythe SL1 with SSL later today.

I think some of my freedoms are going to going away soon. We haven't had a password policy at this company ever but I think it's coming next week. Some people here have had the same password for years. We've been trying to remind people to change it but next week it's going to be enforced via Group Policy. I believe some of these changes are going to necessary to get some ISO compliance in effect. Hopefully it doesn't impact my ability to watch battle videos at work.
Logisticalstyles 2:19 PM - 25 September, 2016
Quote:
they put up a message saying your interaction with the USB is being recorded....

Friday we just implemented a logon banner stating that your activities on the computer are not private and subject to monitoring.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:38 PM - 25 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
they put up a message saying your interaction with the USB is being recorded....

Friday we just implemented a logon banner stating that your activities on the computer are not private and subject to monitoring.

Oh, that's the first thing they get when they login. Like an EUA saying you agree that you know this isn't your computer right? lol...

Nobody pays attention....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:38 PM - 25 September, 2016
EUA = EULA = End User License Agreement
Papa Midnight 6:28 PM - 25 September, 2016
I think you're confusing EULA with TOS. In the case of that login banner, those are the Terms of Service.
Logisticalstyles 7:34 PM - 25 September, 2016
Some refer to it as part of the AUP (Acceptable Use Policy) Basically the same thing.
swavek 9:02 PM - 25 September, 2016
As one of the "idiots", I just clean installed Sierra on an external drive, but than just migrated everything from my MacBook Air (2012), and... everything seems to work just fine - SSL, SDJ, Sixty-Two, all my audio DAWs, the works. No workarounds, no patches, no kext's. And not that I ever had any problems with El Capitan either, but I guess I'll now go ahead and upgrade to Sierra.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:13 PM - 25 September, 2016
Quote:
I think you're confusing EULA with TOS. In the case of that login banner, those are the Terms of Service.

Yeah that.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:13 PM - 25 September, 2016
Quote:
Some refer to it as part of the AUP (Acceptable Use Policy) Basically the same thing.

Yeah that.
Gio Alex 5:03 PM - 26 September, 2016
Quote:

Best troll comment?
v@l 11:25 PM - 29 September, 2016
Best thing i ever did works great
Papa Midnight 8:49 PM - 14 October, 2016
Official support is now available: serato.com
Papa Midnight 8:49 PM - 14 October, 2016
Mostly.
DJ Remy USA 11:43 PM - 14 October, 2016
Quote:
Mostly.

I say forget about the rane gear ever getting the proper update unless serato just does it themselves which Im not even sure if thats legal.
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:38 AM - 16 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Mostly.

I say forget about the rane gear ever getting the proper update unless serato just does it themselves which Im not even sure if thats legal.

Funny enough vestax controllers are still supported in Sierra.

Well I see no reason why Rane mixers will take long to be supported, jury's is not to see if InMusic will step to the plate with firmware and updates