DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

DJing with 1 deck using instant doubles - problems?

djbenitos 7:36 PM - 16 August, 2016
Hello,

I'm an NS7 user and I find the weight and size of the controller to be too much for gigs.
Does anyone use just a single deck (turntable or Numark V7 - which is the motorized platter half of the NS7) and a mixer to do their DJing? This seems quite possible using instant doubles.

What are the downsides of DJing this way? FYI I scratch to mix-in incoming tracks and sometimes scratch to mix-out.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:46 PM - 16 August, 2016
Quote:
Hello,

I'm an NS7 user and I find the weight and size of the controller to be too much for gigs.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
djbenitos 7:49 PM - 16 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Hello,

It really is big and it's back breaking, haha.
I wish it was split up in 2 or 3 pieces, which is why I recently got V7.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:56 PM - 16 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hello,

It really is big and it's back breaking, haha.

Thats what she said! BA DINGGGGG!
dj_soo 10:53 PM - 16 August, 2016
I just switched to a single Denon sc3900 for my mobile gigs and decided to save my Vci 380 for my restaurant and lounge gigs at that don't have gear.

For live, it's fine. Can get a bit annoying doing long blends if you're used to babysitting the outgoing track after transitioning, but I mapped the pitch bend buttons in internal to some buttons on my 62 and that helps.

The transition using instant doubles can cause a bit of a volume spike when you're switching over if you're not doing it right (pulling down on the one fader while switching the crossover).

From what I understand tho, you can use the v7 to control both sides at a flip of a switch? If so, it might be a little easier to deal with.

I'd say the most annoying thing about it is after a bunch of gigs using one deck, I instinctively go for an instant doubles switch even when I have two decks...
DJ Marv the Maverick 2:48 PM - 22 August, 2016
Quote:

For live, it's fine. Can get a bit annoying doing long blends if you're used to babysitting the outgoing track after transitioning, but I mapped the pitch bend buttons in internal to some buttons on my 62 and that helps.

I'd say the most annoying thing about it is after a bunch of gigs using one deck, I instinctively go for an instant doubles switch even when I have two decks...

So true, even when i'm doing quick mixing peak sets, i switch to instant doubles even with two TTs available, hell i even do it with controllers.
deezlee 5:56 PM - 22 August, 2016
I think DVS djs have no idea how big of a percentage of people think the turntables are just there to fake Dj with while you are really just playing songs on the laptop.
One turntable will up that percentage.
AKIEM 6:35 PM - 22 August, 2016
Two turntables are unnecessary anymore.
( except for turntablism )

It would be great if more developers recognized the technique. Ive been asking serato for years to do some things to advance the system

The way I deal with the switch over is just cross the fader over fast and on beat. Most people will never hear it.

This is why I'm very annoyed with Rane taking off the notch in the gains for the 57mkii. I suggested they flatten the top of the curve so any where near 12 oclock is equal... oh well
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 6:57 PM - 22 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

So true, even when i'm doing quick mixing peak sets, i switch to instant doubles even with two TTs available, hell i even do it with controllers.

^^^This

I don't scratch and started DJing playing House and some Techno (4/4) so I control records/vinyl/turntable better/best with my left hand anyway. It has become second nature to cotrol the vinyl with the left deck so Instant doubles are a godsend for me.

Hardest part as mentioned above is if you have to pitch adjust on the Internal deck.
AKIEM 7:12 PM - 22 August, 2016
Yup
And that's my biggest issue right now. In SDJ assigning pitch to midi is crap.

Used to work fine with SSL.

To me, its insane that a DJ system doesn't work well controlling the pitch, but apparently its not high on the list (aka won't ever be fixed)
Mr. Goodkat 8:12 PM - 22 August, 2016
Quote:
so I control records/vinyl/turntable better/best with my left hand anyway.

to me thats why i use the technique with or without 2 decks of going left to right with tracks.

it almost forms a pattern in your brain, for me, i think of it as a circle(even though i guess its a triangle). I think of it like being able to play a sport and having 2 strong arms. its not really like being ambidextrous, because one arm is almost always going to be stronger unless you have years of practice combined with a natural tendency of being ambidextrous.

also, my main gig is open on the right side(wall on the left) so i can have people stand on the right and not touch the turntable, which is strangely odd that people are attracted to touching a rotating platter like a bug to a light.

also for some reason, since your on off button on techs is on the right with a tt turned battle style, girls lean against the table and turn off your deck. its literally happened 20+ times in my career.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:30 AM - 23 August, 2016
Quote:

Also any of you one deck guys notice that the Pitch works a little "different" in serato DJ vs SSL?

Not sure if it is a feature or a bug but in SSL if I remember right = if I am playing a tune with the pitch at +4 and I double it over to INT deck - it automatically makes (internal) pitch +4 but in Serato DJ the Internal pitch still can stay at absolute 0 (even though the tune is playing to the +4 speed).

It's been a while since I played in SSL so I am used to the Serato DJ way (actually gives me more "headroom" on the pitch) but it irked the fuck out of me back in the day....
AKIEM 4:22 AM - 23 August, 2016
Hmm, that sounds like some type bug or sync or something. Pitch copies fine for me.
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:52 AM - 23 August, 2016
Quote:
I think DVS djs have no idea how big of a percentage of people think the turntables are just there to fake Dj with while you are really just playing songs on the laptop.
One turntable will up that percentage.

I've seen guys stand all night staring at my decks thinking he is just faking it with DVS. Until I bust out a quick Scratch "routine", then they approach me to ask what the records do.

And a few very bold ones will even try to touch the record.

Quote:

also, my main gig is open on the right side(wall on the left) so i can have people stand on the right and not touch the turntable, which is strangely odd that people are attracted to touching a rotating platter like a bug to a light.

also for some reason, since your on off button on techs is on the right with a tt turned battle style, girls lean against the table and turn off your deck. its literally happened 20+ times in my career.

Special shout out to all the big bossom females who always stop my vinyl with their boobies when leaning towards me to make a request.
i am Dj fLiP 10:36 PM - 23 August, 2016
I rock NS7, V7, and NS7iii.

NS7 is NOT that heavy. Just imagine the people that dragged their tables back then!

But I bring my V7 with me whenever I'm spinning at clubs as my backup since half the time, the house setup is not working properly.

Instant double works fine, just make sure you fade properly.
dj_soo 5:15 AM - 24 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Also any of you one deck guys notice that the Pitch works a little "different" in serato DJ vs SSL?

Not sure if it is a feature or a bug but in SSL if I remember right = if I am playing a tune with the pitch at +4 and I double it over to INT deck - it automatically makes (internal) pitch +4 but in Serato DJ the Internal pitch still can stay at absolute 0 (even though the tune is playing to the +4 speed).

It's been a while since I played in SSL so I am used to the Serato DJ way (actually gives me more "headroom" on the pitch) but it irked the fuck out of me back in the day....

it's because of sync. Instant doubles in internal or a controller will just simple sync the instant doubled track instead of readjusting the pitch in SSL (since there was no sync).
Laz219 7:57 AM - 24 August, 2016
I struggle using one deck when I have to because I miss the option of pitch nudging with either track.
I'm sure with a bit of time I'd get used to it though and wouldn't notice anymore.
Mr. Goodkat 5:17 PM - 24 August, 2016
Quote:
I struggle using one deck when I have to because I miss the option of pitch nudging with either track.

yeah, thats what i hate. but if you use a midi controller, map the +- (nudge) to a midi controller. not as easy as a record but helps a bit
CMOS 6:05 PM - 24 August, 2016
I miss the brake when i use 1 deck.
AKIEM 6:23 PM - 24 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

yeah, thats what i hate. but if you use a midi controller, map the +- (nudge) to a midi controller. not as easy as a record but helps a bit

Too bad making the pitch works like crap in SDJ. TTM57/SSL was perfect.
Mr. Goodkat 6:30 PM - 24 August, 2016
i got thrown back into ssl after using sdj for 2 years since i bought my 62. sdj actually works with my sl3, but ive stuck with ssl.

I do miss a few of the features like flip because i had just started making flips as i analyzed and added cue points because thats when you get that inspiration to know you need to edit.

not sure if i could go back to sdj live because it just mentally messes with you when you are worried about crashes. SSL just seems solid and uncrashable :knocks on wood:
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 12:45 AM - 25 August, 2016
Quote:
it's because of sync. Instant doubles in internal or a controller will just simple sync the instant doubled track instead of readjusting the pitch in SSL (since there was no sync).

Yeah, i think I turned off simple sync once and I do remember it behaving like classic SSL.

I think also I turned on full sync once and had to pee sitting down until I learned how to turn that wack shit off....

<real men RIDE THAT SHIT>
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:53 AM - 25 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

it's because of sync

Cold busted.
dj_soo 9:00 AM - 26 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

it's because of sync

Cold busted.

for what? knowing how the program works?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:45 AM - 26 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

it's because of sync

Cold busted.

for what? knowing how the program works?

Using it.
dj_soo 2:59 PM - 26 August, 2016
Instant doubles? Yes I do use it.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:31 PM - 26 August, 2016
Nope, Sync.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 10:28 PM - 26 August, 2016
Quote:
Nope, Sync.

LOL - you'll see in about 10 years Johnny - SIMPLE sync is not like "real sync" - it's just an extension of Instant Doubles kinda or the beat grid - you still have to put in "that work" as far as blending.

Think of it as mixing with one "busted" 1200 with wow and flutter and one CDJ. Simple Sync and CDJ is tight while you have to RIDE the 1200...
Mr. Goodkat 10:45 PM - 26 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Nope, Sync.

LOL - you'll see in about 10 years Johnny - SIMPLE sync is not like "real sync" - it's just an extension of Instant Doubles kinda or the beat grid - you still have to put in "that work" as far as blending.

Think of it as mixing with one "busted" 1200 with wow and flutter and one CDJ. Simple Sync and CDJ is tight while you have to RIDE the 1200...

That is one thing i noticed when i went back to ssl from sdj. i kinda thought i had just dreamed it up til you posted about it. it can make using instant doubles with 2 tts a little difficult because you have to remember to get the doubling turntable pitch correct on the turntable before you double.
dj_soo 11:19 PM - 26 August, 2016
Quote:
Nope, Sync.

when using instant doubles on Serato DJ on controllers or one deck, you don't have a choice. That's how it works. That's what we're talking about in this thread.

It does the same thing in Scratch Live only it also shifts the internal pitch shifter automatically. On SDJ, it doesn't.
AKIEM 4:18 PM - 27 August, 2016
...but if you arnt using sync, its not actually syncing two songs. To me its not at all the same. Its not like using sync because you lack the ability to beat match - you still do the beatmatching of two songs manually, they arnt locked (unless you are actually using sync)

If Serato were to actually develop the technique (so you dont get the flange in the switch over) and the one turntable alternately operated both decks - that would not be "sync" though the way you operate would be exactly the same. (+ you could manipulate either deck)

Its not "using sync" IMO

Meaning its not a crutch - the technique actually requires more skill to DJ with.
(and thats why they wont NEVER develop it further)
dj_soo 8:46 PM - 27 August, 2016
Simple sync just makes the BPM the same without shifting the pitch slider.

Serato does have smart sync that only works for controllers which is where are the beat is locked in to the beatgrid traktor-style but who's got time to set beatgrid when you can beatmatch?

One thing I like to use sync for is extreme pitch shifts on turntables - especially acapellas. With pitch n time especially it doesn't have that chopped up sound like scratch live and you can match just about any acapella to any instrumental regardless of tempo.
Mr. Goodkat 10:20 PM - 27 August, 2016
Quote:
One thing I like to use sync for is extreme pitch shifts on turntables - especially acapellas. With pitch n time especially it doesn't have that chopped up sound like scratch live and you can match just about any acapella to any instrumental regardless of tempo.

thats def one thing i miss about it. well actually the pitch matching thing and the pnt plug.

the ssl chopped up bass sometimes is actually kinda cool at maybe +2/4 since its on beat. Clearly its not ideal, but sometimes it sounds like its side chaining if its those big dirtybird type basses when a producer is using whole notes or sustained synths.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:47 AM - 28 August, 2016
Just say no.....
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 6:50 AM - 28 August, 2016
Quote:
Just say GO!!!!.....

???
dj_spark 9:03 PM - 12 February, 2017
I'm used to mix that way since... (I can't remember) with my V7.

I recently moved from an older SDJ 1.7.2 and jumped to 1.9.5, now when I'm do the instant double I ahve an issue with the "real" player.
The sound is starting to drift, and there is no more 'play together'. Even if I try to nudge or ride, the difference is so huge that it become evident that they're not matched at all.

So I tried all these version :
1.7.2 / 1.7.5 / 1.7.8 was ok.
1.8.0 / 1.8.1 /1.8.2 / 1.9.0 / 1.9.1 /1.9.2 / 1.9.3 / 1.9.5 / 1.9.6 beta2 are not ok.

It seems that something is broken no ?

Here is what I did :
- load a track on V7
- play
- instant double
- crossfader in the middle
- V7 starting to go away

How do I know it is the V7 ?
Repeat the process but with no moving platter (shift+motor off)
Now both side stay together.

Anyone ?
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 5:10 AM - 13 February, 2017
New Beta of Serato DJ has Anti Drift for DVS - give that a try....

New features of SDJ 1.9.6 Watchwww.youtube.com
dj_soo 5:39 AM - 13 February, 2017
i don't think the anti drift is available to the V7 - only to DVS
dj_spark 9:03 PM - 13 February, 2017
No much luck with the 1.9.6beta2 for now I'm stuck with 1.7.5, I can't go beyond.
AKIEM 12:59 AM - 14 February, 2017
That sounds like more drift than possible especially if you are flipping the cross fader right away.... hmmm.

I havnt had any problems like that with one turntable...
DJ Marv the Maverick 11:29 AM - 14 February, 2017
Did you try the instant double with both pitch faders at Zero.
dj_spark 9:21 PM - 14 February, 2017
I don't have this issue on older versions so something have changed on the Serato side, not mine.

Yes, pitch fader @ zero got the same issue.

Note : with a V7 the second deck is not internal, it is still device driven.
AKIEM 11:23 PM - 14 February, 2017
Video?
dj_spark 9:38 PM - 15 February, 2017
I'm sorry I couldn't record the audio but you can see the issue from 0:25
youtu.be
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 9:50 PM - 15 February, 2017
What's up with the Error Code message?

It says "TROUBLESHOOT"
dj_spark 8:07 PM - 16 February, 2017
It was some of my plugins licence, this is now fixed.
AKIEM 12:32 AM - 17 February, 2017
Well it's not an instant double issue... unless it only does that when you hit id?
dj_spark 2:51 PM - 18 February, 2017
On < 1.8 versions I didn't have that issue of lost of sync after instant doubles.
Now I have this issue on 1.8.x and 1.9.x.

If I don't do instant doubles (switching A <-> B on the V7) I don't have the issue.

Tried all these with/without sync/PnT and the result is always the same. So common point for me is instant double but I'm open to test anthing else if needed thank you.
AKIEM 5:48 PM - 18 February, 2017
So if you don't hit ID and just load another track it does not jump around like that?
dj_spark 6:00 PM - 18 February, 2017
Exactly
AKIEM 7:08 PM - 18 February, 2017
Exactly what?

It ONLY happens with ID?
AKIEM 7:10 PM - 18 February, 2017
If you load the same song on both decks but don't hit ID does it mess up?
dj_spark 10:55 AM - 19 February, 2017
I don't hit ID. Loading the same track on both deck does the instant double.

As you can see in the video : same pitch, same bpm, same track, same grid and they don't match.

The jump you see is me hitting sync, and just after they slip away.

So how is it possible that all parameters are the same and they can not match ?
DJ Marv the Maverick 2:50 PM - 19 February, 2017
Quote:
I don't hit ID. Loading the same track on both deck does the instant double.

As you can see in the video : same pitch, same bpm, same track, same grid and they don't match.

The jump you see is me hitting sync, and just after they slip away.

So how is it possible that all parameters are the same and they can not match ?

I'm not trying to annoy you but do you have instant double ticked in the preferences?
dj_spark 2:51 PM - 19 February, 2017
You're not annoying me, yes I do have it ticked there.
DJ Marv the Maverick 2:59 PM - 19 February, 2017
Quote:
Yes I do have it ticked there.

You should submit a report then if you haven't yet. I'm out of ideas as to why this isn't working right.

A bit related to this, I noticed instant doubles does not work well with ABLETON LINK this morning too. I won't derail your thread i will post my findings serato.com
dj_spark 3:19 PM - 19 February, 2017
Already opened a ticket, but no progress on this side...
AKIEM 7:06 PM - 19 February, 2017
Try actually hitting Instant Doubles, what happens?
dj_spark 4:37 PM - 20 February, 2017
ctrl+shift+arrow didn't change anything instead of loading the same song on the other deck.
AKIEM 5:53 PM - 20 February, 2017
So if you load other songs it behaves fine. The problem ONLY happens when you load the same song in both decks?

The reason I keep asking this is that you might have a midi conflict and some how pitch bend or something is being triggered with instant doubles. But if you arnt using midi....

I don't see how it's possible to happen only with loading the same track in both decks, but not happen when loading different songs in each deck.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 7:17 PM - 20 February, 2017
Maybe he didn't buy 2 copies of the same MP3???

Like buying the original 12 inch and a bootleg???

<just fuckimg with y'all >k
dj_spark 9:35 PM - 20 February, 2017
AKIEM, I only noticed it when ID because this the way I mix, but once it happens, even by loading a different track I will still have the issue.

But, you said something that catch my attention : I do have midi ! So I'll try without midi and see what will happen then. Thanks for the help !

DJ Art Pumpin Payne, I don't have duplicate files, it is the exact same file loaded twice.
dj_spark 10:01 PM - 20 February, 2017
Ok, did the test without midi but the issue is still there.
But, it is not ID related !

I tried to beatmatch manually with one deck by switching layers and as long as the motor is running on both layer's, they can't match (pitch even get reverse at one time oO ) despite all numbers being the same on the screen.
Motor off, I can match them.

So I've got the exact same behavior in manual mode, in sync mode, with instant double, with load twice.
AKIEM 2:18 AM - 21 February, 2017
Ok. Just wanted to eliminate ID from the question.

My best guess is somehow pitch bend is being triggered, possibly in slip mode.... but dont quote - I don't use those.