Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

iTunes 12.4 has removed the Convert id3 Tag function - Workarounds?

e_p 10:17 AM - 26 May, 2016
as per the post title. if you manage your tracks in itunes then this could be a problem. i used to use that feature to convert al my tracks to V2.3 just to be safe.
anyone got a simple workaround for this?
PopRoXxX 3:29 PM - 26 May, 2016
Ummmmmm .....

I just single-clicked (like normal) on a couple songs titles/artists in normal song list view and the text still highlights and I can change it just like before (not using the "get info" method). And I'm on the newest version myself

I also don't use iTunes for my DJ'ing music due to past changes over the years messing up my crates/playlists/songs/etc. Just my personal listening library. But thought I would try it for you 😋
e_p 3:34 PM - 26 May, 2016
you cant be using 12.4 as this is a known feature reduction

dougscripts.com

discussions.apple.com
PopRoXxX 3:40 PM - 26 May, 2016
Just checked again. I'm on 12.4

Try doing what I just said before this gets all article-posted up by everyone LOL
dj vernon nyc 4:23 PM - 26 May, 2016
How about this updated by accident to 12.4 iTunes and now my iTunes library won't show up in SL or DJ! But the music is still in there crates
e_p 5:14 PM - 26 May, 2016
you cant update the ID3 tag version from within iTunes 12.4

either you havent yet upgraded, you don't understand what converting the ID3 tag version means (and why it is important to use version 2.3 for Serato), or you are trolling.
carter 11:16 PM - 26 May, 2016
You can update the current tag in iTunes, but you can't change the version. There is no AppleScript workaround either. You will need to use a 3rd party app in order to add or change a version. I prefer mp3tag. It's a Windows app, but you can install it with the bundled WineApp to use on a Mac, if that's what you're running.
PopRoXxX 2:25 PM - 27 May, 2016
Quote:
you cant update the ID3 tag version

I get what you're saying here. My bad. Thought the original poster was just wanting to change the tags. Not the tag version. Although I've never had problems with any of my tag versions in iTunes for the last few years. But good looking out on setting it straight 👍
AddamXavier 5:14 AM - 28 May, 2016
well, this sucks. it was the easy way to make sure all my tags were 2.3. i don't really care if they are 2.2 but 2.4 sucks and i was super glad they had the option.

just yet another nail in the coffin of using iTunes at all in my music importing workflow.
DJ Tracy G. 12:47 PM - 29 May, 2016
I use MP3TAG for this.
e_p 7:51 PM - 29 May, 2016
not great that you have to use Wine to make it work on a Mac.
carter 12:01 AM - 30 May, 2016
Quote:
not great that you have to use Wine to make it work on a Mac.

Actually works pretty well. I've used it on MP3 and MP4 files to mass edit tags. It's not like old versions of Wine where you have to start Wine first and then start the app you want to use. It's actually bundled together so the mp3tag app sits in your application folder. It's better than any other tagged I've used that's Mac specific. I don't keep my library in iTunes though either, so I've never had to worry it being wonky with feature updates.
e_p 7:48 AM - 1 June, 2016
not great having to use a Windows app though. is serato liekly to upgrade to using 2.4?
carter 8:23 PM - 1 June, 2016
serato.com

Supposed to have been fixed in 1.7.5 and up. If it's still not working, I would suggest reaching out to Serato Support directly with specific tag issues.
e_p 8:20 AM - 3 June, 2016
excellent. itunes 12.4.1 has readded this feature. i can now delete the ugly mp3tag app.