DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Rob Swift vs DJ Fly

dj_soo 10:03 AM - 17 February, 2016
Anyone following this facebook beef right now?

Starts with this vid that Fly and Netik posted going viral: www.facebook.com

Rob Swift calls them out for "faking it" and posts this breakdown: www.facebook.com

Fly responds with this: www.facebook.com

Swift responds with this vid and post: www.facebook.com

I think swift's main point of contention is how the routine is essentially pre-produced with all the mixes, juggle points, and scratch points are laid out in a grid on a single track and they're essentially just cutting when it comes time to cut rather than backspinning and using record control to create the sound.

He also thinks they mime certain points of the video although I'm not sure that's the case...
teemac111 1:07 PM - 17 February, 2016
I see a lil pantomiming
Mr. Goodkat 2:35 PM - 17 February, 2016
just more old man hate. us old folks need to start loving instead of hating all the time. it makes me embarrassed for my fellow old(middle aged human but) djs, no matter how good or great they are/were.
Logisticalstyles 3:11 PM - 17 February, 2016
I've been following it and I have to agree with Rob Swift. The cuts are dope but when you really dissect some of these routines you can tell that a lot of the beat changes and samples are already within the track. And then if you look even harder you realize that they haven't loaded any new tracks during the routine, and this is nothing more than a choreographed routine full of backspins and dope cuts.
Gio Alex 3:50 PM - 17 February, 2016
Quote:
just more old man hate. us old folks need to start loving instead of hating all the time. it makes me embarrassed for my fellow old(middle aged human but) djs, no matter how good or great they are/were.

Did you actually read the technicality of what he's talking about? Or you just jumping to conclusions like you always do? lol
Gio Alex 3:51 PM - 17 February, 2016
Quote:
I've been following it and I have to agree with Rob Swift. The cuts are dope but when you really dissect some of these routines you can tell that a lot of the beat changes and samples are already within the track. And then if you look even harder you realize that they haven't loaded any new tracks during the routine, and this is nothing more than a choreographed routine full of backspins and dope cuts.

Yeah, at first I didn't get it and then I realized what he was saying.
Gio Alex 3:52 PM - 17 February, 2016
Quote:

Also, Rob wasn't saying the suck. In fact, I think he knows very well that they have skills, it was how the routine was executed he has a problem with.
Mr. Goodkat 4:32 PM - 17 February, 2016
no i looked and saw what he said, but its just like, a. it doesnt matter, b. it doesn't matter.

in the grand scheme of things, its just negativity being put out about some guys that a. whether they just pantomine the whole routine, they can clearly cut, scratch, and juggle with or without dvs.

the negativity turns other old djs into being more negative because they have a lightning rod to be critical with.

dvs has allowed everyone to take short cuts, so if anyone is using any shortcut, and they arent using real vinyl with music on it, why even criticize stuff like flipping songs in a pre recorded blend.

I do think he does give them some credit and clearly knows they have skills, but what is really gonna come out of his rant thats positive?

Personally i reflect alot more on this, because im at that age and i know ive been dismissive of people in the past and occasionally present. But, as i think about that, and strive to be a more positive person, i dont see how any of that is positive or going to make a situation better or productive. They werent posting this for a contest or making any statement that this is all done by hand/no pre production, they werent fronting like they were the best in the world, they just posted a vid and now its bad vibes between them. AND it supports this ongoing internet rant/troll/hate behaviour that has taken over the internet.

I just think from a guy like that, who is a legend(rob swift), its petty. just my take.
Logisticalstyles 4:50 PM - 17 February, 2016
Quote:
no i looked and saw what he said, but its just like, a. it doesnt matter, b. it doesn't matter.

in the grand scheme of things, its just negativity being put out about some guys that a. whether they just pantomine the whole routine, they can clearly cut, scratch, and juggle with or without dvs.

the negativity turns other old djs into being more negative because they have a lightning rod to be critical with.

dvs has allowed everyone to take short cuts, so if anyone is using any shortcut, and they arent using real vinyl with music on it, why even criticize stuff like flipping songs in a pre recorded blend.
e.

Grandmaster Jay would approve of this statement.
Gio Alex 5:09 PM - 17 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

e.

Grandmaster Jay would approve of this statement.

LMFAO
Joee 5:56 PM - 17 February, 2016
^1
 6 6:16 PM - 17 February, 2016
Quote:

This

Quote:

I do think he does give them some credit and clearly knows they have skills, but what is really gonna come out of his rant thats positive?

Personally i reflect alot more on this, because im at that age and i know ive been dismissive of people in the past and occasionally present. But, as i think about that, and strive to be a more positive person, i dont see how any of that is positive or going to make a situation better or productive. They werent posting this for a contest or making any statement that this is all done by hand/no pre production, they werent fronting like they were the best in the world, they just posted a vid and now its bad vibes between them. AND it supports this ongoing internet rant/troll/hate behaviour that has taken over the internet.

I just think from a guy like that, who is a legend(rob swift), its petty. just my take.

And none of this. If you can do something, don't fake it. Makes you look stupid.

nm
Mr. Goodkat 6:19 PM - 17 February, 2016
so much salt. so little time.
Gio Alex 6:21 PM - 17 February, 2016
Quote:

I don't see it as salt. But the cumbaya approach isn't fit either though.
 6 6:33 PM - 17 February, 2016
Quote:

I don't know why it bothers you so much. lol

nm
 6 6:33 PM - 17 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I don't see it as salt. But the cumbaya approach isn't fit either though.

Yup

nm
DTweed 9:35 PM - 17 February, 2016
My take on it is if you that dope do it live... you have two people there is no reason why it couldn't have been done live
MPC O.G. 5:23 AM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:

If Swift was bombing an EDM Producer/DJ the forum would have loved it. Faking is FAKING. No passes given. Do I think they could have done that routine live, DEFINITELY. They CONNED people and got put on BLAST. Nothing salty about it. That's why all these kids THINK they can DJ. STOP GIVING PASSES TO BULLSHIT, AND BULLSHIT WILL STOP.
dj_soo 5:41 AM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:
you can tell that a lot of the beat changes and samples are already within the track

The tracks are custom designed for that routine meaning - it'll have a beat on one side for 8 bars and samples on the other all in a row which will then flip to a sample while the other one has a beat they can instantly drop when the allotted time on the other is up. It's an interesting setup and requires a lot of preparation to get it right, but it's basically set up to make the routine less risk of error with an errant backspin, mistimed fader, or slightly off blend.

Everything is on a grid and the DJ just has to remember how long to scratch that sample or how long the instrumental section is going to be and it all just lines up.

Here's another dude who does routines like this: Watchwww.youtube.com

i think it's cool personally, but it's not really the same as a proper battle set where you're using pure skill to slice and dice records.

But then again, dudes were doing shit like this in the DMCs even in the vinyl days with custom-pressed vinyl...
 6 5:51 AM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

If Swift was bombing an EDM Producer/DJ the forum would have loved it. Faking is FAKING. No passes given. Do I think they could have done that routine live, DEFINITELY. They CONNED people and got put on BLAST. Nothing salty about it. That's why all these kids THINK they can DJ. STOP GIVING PASSES TO BULLSHIT, AND BULLSHIT WILL STOP.

Yup

nm
near05 8:44 AM - 18 February, 2016
faking is when you pretend to be..

for booth of them i think everyone knows that they dont need to fake anything.
This is a promo teaser for CLUB GIGS..nothing else.
they dont wanna bore people in the clubs.. after watching this vid im definitely not bored!
Or is someone thinking that for example the Beat Torrent stuff was live??
DJ Val-BKNY11203 11:52 AM - 18 February, 2016
First time I watched the vid I saw they were really doing it. Rob Swift is right. No salt in the game...they faked it. Even if they actually do it.
Dj Mike P. 1:50 PM - 18 February, 2016
Just because you can actually do it if you feel like it, doesn't mean you can fake it when you please.
deezlee 5:26 PM - 18 February, 2016
Sounds like a single DJ cutting over a hip hop mixtape.
Wiggy wiggy every 1/2 bar.
Logisticalstyles 8:14 PM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:
This is a promo teaser for CLUB GIGS..nothing else.

How do you figure that?
DJ Irv 8:33 PM - 18 February, 2016
Some DJ's have been allowed to fake their way to the DMC podium. They are talented but, those produced routines are blah. It's not cheating since since producing your tracks is allowed but, it really cheapens the nature of DJ'ing. @deezlee said it well.

Quote:
Sounds like a single DJ cutting over a hip hop mixtape.
Wiggy wiggy every 1/2 bar.
AKIEM 8:58 PM - 18 February, 2016
very corny to start,
faking? think that would depend on what you call "real"

so they worked off a pre-produced track which included ALL scratches and such. I see why Rob calls it fake - super 'pre produced' which gives the allusion of doing much more work.

chalk it up to 'shit is different now'? maybe
but with that attitude, why NOT just pantomime a routine, since shit is different now.

actually perfectly pantomiming might take even more skill....

maybe part of it is the selections, classics done this way?

dudes are corny
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:15 PM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:

Here's the thing, and I get what you're saying, Older heads hating on newer heads and technology...

HOWEVER, this is CLEARLY on some Milli Vanilli *ish in the form that the at least SOME of the scratches were laid down earlier and they are clearly Miming the routine...

Don't get it twisted, there is an actual SCIENCE to laying down a scratch track in the sense of how dudes are doing it nowadays, but to record it in advance, and play it back and act like you're doing it live is a whole other discussion.

Netik is that dude tho, so I don't get it...
AKIEM 9:24 PM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Here's the thing, and I get what you're saying, Older heads hating on newer heads and technology...

HOWEVER, this is CLEARLY on some Milli Vanilli *ish in the form that the at least SOME of the scratches were laid down earlier and they are clearly Miming the routine...

Don't get it twisted, there is an actual SCIENCE to laying down a scratch track in the sense of how dudes are doing it nowadays, but to record *digitally edit it in advance, and play it back and act like you're doing it live is a whole other discussion.

Netik is that dude tho, so I don't get it...

*just to be specific
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:26 PM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:
actually perfectly pantomiming might take even more skill....

This is the part that intrigues me...

Like, let's SAY it was ENTIRELY pantomimed...

What was the reason behind it?

To give a perfect performance? Ok I get it...

But who is to say that the entire audio track, (since it was pre-produced) wasn't COMPLETELY multitracked, mistakes ERASED, or redubbed, etc..etc..

This could have been created over a month's time and then pantomimed to get all the motions worked out, remembered, practiced, etc..etc...

It really depends on what the INTENT of the video was...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:26 PM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:
*just to be specific

Yep, my next post was covering that....
AKIEM 11:36 PM - 18 February, 2016
Oh and the pitch speed changing on its own - if I'm not mistaken. That might have been the worst "crime"
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:43 PM - 18 February, 2016
Truth be told if it's not two regular pieces of vinyl and a standard mixer, that slope will be forever sliding....
DJ GaFFle 2:08 AM - 19 February, 2016
Quote:
I see a lil pantomiming

Dude's been pantomiming since day one: Watchwww.youtube.com
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:38 PM - 19 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
I see a lil pantomiming

Dude's been pantomiming since day one: Watchwww.youtube.com

Wait...what?
dj_soo 8:41 PM - 19 February, 2016
edited tracks to make beat "juggling" easier. Basically they're set up so there's like a bar on each side and then a sample or silence in time so he never has to backspin.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 9:31 PM - 19 February, 2016
Quote:
edited tracks to make beat "juggling" easier. Basically they're set up so there's like a bar on each side and then a sample or silence in time so he never has to backspin.

Almost like Sync for turntablists huh?LOL
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:46 PM - 19 February, 2016
Quote:

I know that, I'm wondering about the pantomiming part...
dj_soo 4:17 AM - 20 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Almost like Sync for turntablists huh?LOL

probably closer to using nothing but edits when playing. Guy still has to scratch - just doesn't have to juggle much.
Logisticalstyles 5:07 AM - 20 February, 2016
Quote:

Literally faking "the funk".
Logisticalstyles 5:08 AM - 20 February, 2016
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:19 PM - 20 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Literally faking "the funk".

I see what you did there...
DJ Matty Stiles 7:03 PM - 20 February, 2016
Looking at Flys sets and his DMC routine it appears he's playing a long ass sample (backing track for lack of a better term) and either deck he's just got his arranged scratch sentences
DJ Matty Stiles 7:04 PM - 20 February, 2016
^ playing this long ass sample on the SP-6
AKIEM 7:09 PM - 20 February, 2016
LOL @ literally faking The Funk
DJ Irv 4:06 AM - 21 February, 2016
The DMC has been co-signing it.
Gio Alex 6:29 PM - 21 February, 2016
Quote:
The DMC has been co-signing it.

aren't the DMCs kind of a joke these days anyway?
makavellu 7:08 AM - 28 March, 2016
Hy all,

Because a lot of you say that this routine of Netik and Fly is not live , and is prerecorded & and they make playback in the video (It`s a video!!!!!!!!! )

So in your logic this is live ,not prerecorded and not playback Watchwww.youtube.com ????
AKIEM 2:30 PM - 28 March, 2016
Quote:
Hy all,

Because a lot of you say that this routine of Netik and Fly is not live , and is prerecorded & and they make playback in the video (It`s a video!!!!!!!!! )

So in your logic this is live ,not prerecorded and not playback Watchwww.youtube.com ????

Um, Yeah.
Dj Shamann 6:13 PM - 28 March, 2016
Quote:
Hy all,

Are you fucking serious?

LOL

Wow