DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Technics Grand Class Turntable

05spoof 6:54 PM - 5 January, 2016
images.scribblelive.com
This year and only 1200 will be made.
05spoof 7:05 PM - 5 January, 2016
www.pocket-lint.com
more images and info
Logisticalstyles 7:15 PM - 5 January, 2016
Damn! I wonder what the price tag is gonna be? This is huge, at least for me!

www.facebook.com
Rebelguy 7:17 PM - 5 January, 2016
So magnesium may be worth more than gold in this situation.
WarpNote 7:42 PM - 5 January, 2016
Quote:
images.scribblelive.com

"Two versions of the player will be released: a limited Technics 50th Anniversary 'Grand Class SL-1200GAE' will come first, in summer 2016 (limited, naturally, to 1200 units). A non-limited Grand Class 1200G will follow before the end of 2016. Both will be expensive, audiophile-grade devices, even though they are still largely aimed at DJs. Prices were not announced but are expected to reach several thousand pounds." -> www.wired.co.uk
Joee 7:51 PM - 5 January, 2016
nice!!
Logisticalstyles 7:55 PM - 5 January, 2016
I just started repainting my personal 1200s and ended up sanding the body down to the bare aluminum this weekend.

I was tempted to just keep them all aluminum but changed my mind. Now I'm second guessing myself. That all aluminum look is pretty nice.
WarpNote 8:02 PM - 5 January, 2016
Sure is, just polish it down :-D
Then maybe accent a few parts in a contrast color?
AKIEM 8:09 PM - 5 January, 2016
More info
www.wired.co.uk

Priced high - couple Gs.
WarpNote 8:11 PM - 5 January, 2016
I'm sure the "regular" non ltd G model will come down somewhat in price, after all, they need to compete with pioneer, stanton, audio technica, reloop, and also the mid end audiophile TTs..
05spoof 9:07 PM - 5 January, 2016
Was quick to post... all the excitement.

A couple G's OUCH! I wonder if they'll sell the plynth's for the LTD GAE so it could put it on a G model =)

That brushed metal look is very appealing. Shame they didn't use a Gold tonearm to match the other accents along with all white LED's instead of the blue. For a couple G's they really went cheap with a stock headshell.

Got to wonder how much wow and flutter has been minimized or even eliminated.
lvmez 9:44 PM - 5 January, 2016
So these are not digital like the M5G's?
The Return of Dj Sparky 9:53 PM - 5 January, 2016

2The new twin-roto surface-facing direct-drive motor is said to avoid 'cogging' - caused by the tiny vibrations of the motor and rotational speed fluctuations - thanks to rotary positioning sensors and a microprocessor control system for the best possible sound quality."
DJ GaFFle 11:10 PM - 5 January, 2016
Quote:
Was quick to post... all the excitement.

A couple G's OUCH! I wonder if they'll sell the plynth's for the LTD GAE so it could put it on a G model =)

That brushed metal look is very appealing. Shame they didn't use a Gold tonearm to match the other accents along with all white LED's instead of the blue. For a couple G's they really went cheap with a stock headshell.

Got to wonder how much wow and flutter has been minimized or even eliminated.

Where did you hear of that price?
DJ GaFFle 11:18 PM - 5 January, 2016
Quote:
Shame they didn't use a Gold tonearm to match the other accents along with all white LED's instead of the blue...

I agree on the LED color but not on the gold tonearm. I didn't like the way the Golds plating always faded in a replace-me way. That brushed metal aluminum is top fierce! Technics went full in on these things. The Ping-Chao Super OEM clones just took massive L's.
Gio Alex 11:33 PM - 5 January, 2016
So does this mean that Pioneer will drop the price of their TTs to what they should've been from the jump? $299-399.

Knowing them, they'll just discontinue them and figure out a way to release a $899-999 pair.
lvmez 11:38 PM - 5 January, 2016
The PLX-1000GAE are coming out for $1200.
The Return of Dj Sparky 11:43 PM - 5 January, 2016
these new techs are gonna be priced so high there not going to be feasible for the average dj,

technics new target are the audiophiles and the people with more money then sense,

now if they were reasonably priced i'd probably get a pair but anything over $800-1000 each and its just a waste

and according to that article there gonna be a few thousand pound so convert that to dollars and your talking about some serious cash for a glorified turntable

great to see a new TT but not so great about the pricing
Papa Midnight 11:48 PM - 5 January, 2016
Quote:

Slight correction:

Quote:

There are two models that Panasonic is putting out in the Technics SL line:

Technics SL-1200G
Technics SL-1200GAE: limited edition, 1,200 units sold

There has been no announcement on pricing as of yet, so anything else is purely speculative.

But, hopefully, this helps to drive down some of the ludicrous asking prices for 1200's on the used market. There are some people asking over $1000 for a single MK5, and I won't start on what the asking price for M5G's have ballooned to.
AKIEM 11:49 PM - 5 January, 2016
Yup.

Have little doubt discontinuing and relaunch was the only way to move forward with a decent (for Panasonic) sustainable price.
Papa Midnight 11:52 PM - 5 January, 2016
As an aside, like the M5G, the 1200G/GAE will have the variable 8x / 16x switch (with a button on top of the pitch fader labeled "x2").

Here are the full specs (Pulled from: www.engadget.com):

Quote:

Grand Class SL-1200G/SL1200GAE Specifications

All new design for Redefining the Direct Drive Turntable

Twin-Rotor Surface-Facing Direct Drive motor
Direct Drive Motor Controller
High Sensitive Tonearm
Brass-Top Turntable Platter
Insulator

Technics Definitive Design

Inherited design from the SL-1200 series
Heavy Aluminum Top Plate

Turntable Speeds

33 1/3 rpm, 45 rpm, 78 rpm

Variable Range Pitch

±8%, ±16%

Dimension & Weight

W: 453 mm H: 170 mm D: 372 mm . / 18kg *tentative
*Height: including dust cover

Terminal

Phono output x1 / SIGNAL GND x1
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:53 PM - 5 January, 2016
Pioneer is about to have a SALE....
DJ GaFFle 12:09 AM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:

Man, check all these innovations and improvements: www.technics.com (click the dots)
WarpNote 12:12 AM - 6 January, 2016
Wonder what the torque will be?
Joee 12:13 AM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Man, check all these innovations and improvements: with major price hikes www.technics.com (click the dots)

fixed
Gio Alex 12:34 AM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:

That's what I said! LMAO
Gio Alex 12:38 AM - 6 January, 2016
Bout to be a PLX liquidation. LMAO, I'll finally be able to buy a pair for 200 each bwahahaha and use em as beaters.
Joee 12:42 AM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
Bout to be a PLX liquidation. LMAO, I'll finally be able to buy a pair for 200 each bwahahaha and use em as beaters.

i don't think so, seems like these new 12's will be a ridiculous price point

so the pio will still be a cheaper option
Gio Alex 12:46 AM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

i don't think so, seems like these new 12's will be a ridiculous price point

so the pio will still be a cheaper option

You might be right, but I still think Pio will have to lower the price because I don't think they've been making money on the PLX series like that. Unless they strategically hold out till summer 2016. Also, knowing them, they are very quick to discontinue products that are not making them a ton.
Joee 12:49 AM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
You might be right, but I still think Pio will have to lower the price because I don't think they've been making money on the PLX series like that. Unless they strategically hold out till summer 2016. Also, knowing them, they are very quick to discontinue products that are not making them a ton.

maybe

but…….how often has pioneer lowered pricing on gear in the past?

seems like they just release something new while pricing on older gear stays the same
Gio Alex 12:55 AM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

maybe

but…….how often has pioneer lowered pricing on gear in the past?

seems like they just release something new while pricing on older gear stays the same

Every time they over price something and have a competitor.

Example. DJM-T1 (unofficially Rane 57 competitor) $1699 originally, and when the NI Traktor Z2 came out they lowered it to $599 followed by the infamous discontinue.

They do it a with mixers a lot of you really pay attention to their habits.
Joee 12:58 AM - 6 January, 2016
wow more than a 50% on the pioneer? you may be right than
pdidy 1:01 AM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:

YESSSS, finally....lol
Gio Alex 1:03 AM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
wow more than a 50% on the pioneer? you may be right than

Like I said, they only do it when they have a direct competitor, and a rebirth of ol' Papi will definitely have them on the edge of their seats for sure. Even if the Technics will cost way more.
Gio Alex 1:04 AM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

YESSSS, finally....lol

hahaha right! I'm totally talking mad trash, it'll be so funny if that happens.
DJ Irv 1:04 AM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
Example. DJM-T1 (unofficially Rane 57 competitor) $1699 originally, and when the NI Traktor Z2 came out they lowered it to $599 followed by the infamous discontinue.

Z2 is over all a better mixer and more tightly integrated with Traktor the DJM-T1. The DJM-T1 looked and felt toyish compared to the DJM-S9 (meaning Pioneer is capable of better). The price drop on the DJM-T1 just shows how much profit is in Pioneer gear. The PLX (and i own a pair) should be priced cheaper than the Audio-Technica LP1240. They have much of the same innards with less features.

The PLX is about to go the way of Bear Sterns.
Gio Alex 1:12 AM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Z2 is over all a better mixer and more tightly integrated with Traktor the DJM-T1. The DJM-T1 looked and felt toyish compared to the DJM-S9 (meaning Pioneer is capable of better). The price drop on the DJM-T1 just shows how much profit is in Pioneer gear. The PLX (and i own a pair) should be priced cheaper than the Audio-Technica LP1240. They have much of the same innards with less features.

The PLX is about to go the way of Bear Sterns.

See! you get it. I agree with you on the PLX. The only reason why they were even priced that high is because Pio dominates the market and they were in position to make such price points.

The TM1 I have to say though was a great mixer for $599, even if it cost $899 it would've been more than fair. That thing actually weighed more than my 909 I believe. In my opinion it was built more than decent and had cool features, but they got really cocky about there price point. Basically asking 1700 at the time. But I do agree with that they were capable of better, but like I said, that's my prob with Pioneer, when they're on top they make these decisions that come off kind of pompous.
pdidy 1:13 AM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

YESSSS, finally....lol

Im more hoping tech1200/1210 street price goes waaay down.
Gio Alex 1:23 AM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
Im more hoping tech1200/1210 street price goes waaay down.

True. You mean those M5s or M5Gs though, right? Cuz 1200-1210s aren't that much.

Hell, I scored a pair of 1200 (Black) last winter for 400 for the pair. It's all about being on the prowl. Not everyone is trynna make bank. You gotta find the "married guy that gave up on DJing and needs to make room for the baby."
Gio Alex 1:23 AM - 6 January, 2016
Mk2s I meant to say. 400 for 2 is pretty amazing.
pdidy 1:29 AM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
True. You mean those M5s or M5Gs though, right?

yes
Gio Alex 1:32 AM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
True. You mean those M5s or M5Gs though, right?

yes

Already lowered. Saw one for 700 already. M5G. I'm almost certain that's negotiable. Probably talk down to 600.
DJ Irv 1:34 AM - 6 January, 2016
This officially ruins my hustle. Been going to japan buying SL1200 for $200 a piece and reselling them for double. Well, there always balloons full coke.
Gio Alex 1:38 AM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
This officially ruins my hustle. Been going to japan buying SL1200 for $200 a piece and reselling them for double. Well, there always balloons full coke.

Well if you wanna help out a fellow forum bud (haha) I'd be willing to scoop a pair of MK4s from ya for $300-400 each. Just throwing it out, probably less than you wanna flip em for. lol
Gio Alex 1:40 AM - 6 January, 2016
Like I said though, the CL local game is always different cuz not everyone goes by the market. Some people just wanna make room and make sure it goes to a good home. You can always get lucky if you're persistent.
Gio Alex 1:42 AM - 6 January, 2016
On ebay, they're literally giving these joints away.

I'm so glad I sold my last spare pair of MK2s two weeks ago. Let em go for 500 each which is good considering how long I had em.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:47 AM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:

Technics was just WAITING in the cut....smh.

Errybody gonna have some Pioneers in a minute....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:47 AM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

YESSSS, finally....lol

This.....
Mr. Goodkat 2:48 AM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
these new techs are gonna be priced so high there not going to be feasible for the average dj,

lowers the price of used ones a little.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:54 AM - 6 January, 2016
You know why this all happened right?

Amazon sold more turntables than any other home audio product this Christmas

The Jensen all-in-one turntable is king on Amazon.com.

Following the news that HMV were selling up to a turntable a minute in the run up to Christmas, Amazon have released news that their best selling home audio product this Christmas was a turntable.

More popular than both a Yamaha Wi-Fi Network AV Receiver with AirPlay and the SONOS PLAY:1, a two-room music streaming starter set, the Jensen JTA-230 3-speed stereo turntable with built-in speakers was Amazon’s seasonal hit, challenging the dominance of streaming services in the home.

Priced at just over $50, the Jensen is about as entry-level as you can get, complete with USB-port for digitising your records and an aux for your iPod. That said, one of the only budget turntables with pitch control and tone adjustment, (as well as the ability to play 78s – although you will need a different cartridge) the Jensen offers greater flexibility and reliability than other budget brands.

That the Jensen was so popular suggests many were receiving it as their first ever turntable, reflecting the continued year on year rise in vinyl sales.

Jensen was about to be a household name....

www.thevinylfactory.com
Gio Alex 3:00 AM - 6 January, 2016
That thing sure is ugly though^^^
WarpNote 8:25 AM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:

+1
Apparently bad sound quality too, no bass... even when plugged into an external system.
DJ GaFFle 12:04 PM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

+1
Apparently bad sound quality too, no bass... even when plugged into an external system.

You wouldn't want bass anywhere near that thing. It would run all through that lightweight plastic and hum/feedback for days.

So, who has official or listed pricing on the SL-1200GAE?
DJ Guayo 2:35 PM - 6 January, 2016
No price has been released yet. Its only being speculated. The limited edition (SL-1200GAE) set will be released first and then SL-1200G. Release date towards the end of 2016.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 3:27 PM - 6 January, 2016
Jazzy said Fuck em at 2 grand a table, he said they don't give a shit about DJs.

Peep his Instagram........
The Return of Dj Sparky 3:32 PM - 6 January, 2016
true though, there market is no longer dj's their market is hipsters that want to look cool with a 6g turntable component stereo system
The Return of Dj Sparky 3:36 PM - 6 January, 2016
and whats jazzy complaining for he'll probably get a free set anyhow
AKIEM 3:42 PM - 6 January, 2016
Bet Jeff doesn't get a free set...

Originally 1200s wernt for DJs either. They are just rebooting with the original formula at a (highly) profitable price point. Marketing to hipster bitches - if you bummy djs want them again fine.
Taipanic 4:07 PM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:

Originally 1200s wernt for DJs either. They are just rebooting with the original formula at a (highly) profitable price point. Marketing to hipster bitches - if you bummy djs want them again fine.

Correct, the real market for these are mid grade audiophiles and the Hipster/Baby Boomer/Gen Xers that want to play vinyl again. I would guess the DJ share of their sales is probably 30% - not enough by itself to support production - that's why they went away in the first place, because only DJs were still buying them.
DJ GaFFle 4:51 PM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:

Doesn't Pioneer cut him a check? It didn't seem like he was complaining, more like a veiled shot at the competition.
MPC O.G. 4:55 PM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Doesn't Pioneer cut him a check? It didn't seem like he was complaining, more like a veiled shot at the competition.

What's funny to me is people spend MORE than that on Pioneer CDJ's that don't cost more than $75 to make, and they break easy. COMMENTS ON THAT?
DJ Irv 6:27 PM - 6 January, 2016
I'm losing a lot respect for Jazzy Jeff on this. It's okay for him to have an opinion but, since he is sponsored by Pioneer it seems biased.

His arguments are that the price point the Limited Editions 1200GAE might be that they are not for DJs and he is correct. These are clearly for the Audiophile and are limited edition like the GLD MK4 LTD MK6K1. All of which have retained the value or gone up in price. The regular 1200G's will be released later on in 2016 and I am sure Technics knows they have to at least try to compete in the market with the PLX or not be successful with it's relaunch.

Jazzy Jeff gripes the SL1200 were never intended for DJs; true, but then why did Pioneer clearly and blatantly copy the 1200 instead of making its own motor, design etc? Jeff takes a another L here.

"they never really gave support to the DJ community" - Yeah like sponsor the DMC battles? Jeff hold this L too.

"They have been discontinued and relaunched 100 times even if it has been urban legend." They were discontinued once to my knowledge.

Then Jeff goes on to praise the PLX which he can't tell apart from the turntable that was never meant for DJs. He claims Pioneer is kinda about the DJ but, their super OEM / Hanpin has to have massive markup if Audio-Technica and other can sell them for 500 with more features. Wait isn't Jeff sponsored by Pioneer? Jeff hold this L if your hands are not full L's already.
Logisticalstyles 6:32 PM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
I'm losing a lot respect for Jazzy Jeff on this. It's okay for him to have an opinion but, since he is sponsored by Pioneer it seems biased.

His arguments are that the price point the Limited Editions 1200GAE might be that they are not for DJs and he is correct. These are clearly for the Audiophile and are limited edition like the GLD MK4 LTD MK6K1. All of which have retained the value or gone up in price. The regular 1200G's will be released later on in 2016 and I am sure Technics knows they have to at least try to compete in the market with the PLX or not be successful with it's relaunch.

Jazzy Jeff gripes the SL1200 were never intended for DJs; true, but then why did Pioneer clearly and blatantly copy the 1200 instead of making its own motor, design etc? Jeff takes a another L here.

"they never really gave support to the DJ community" - Yeah like sponsor the DMC battles? Jeff hold this L too.

"They have been discontinued and relaunched 100 times even if it has been urban legend." They were discontinued once to my knowledge.

Then Jeff goes on to praise the PLX which he can't tell apart from the turntable that was never meant for DJs. He claims Pioneer is kinda about the DJ but, their super OEM / Hanpin has to have massive markup if Audio-Technica and other can sell them for 500 with more features. Wait isn't Jeff sponsored by Pioneer? Jeff hold this L if your hands are not full L's already.

+1
Gio Alex 6:37 PM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:

I swear on everything I literally just had the same argument with someone on facebook about the same thing you just said before even seeing this!
Gio Alex 6:41 PM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:

This is what I said:

"I love Jazzy Jeff and I mean no disrespect by this but he is sponsored or a the very least gets perks from Pioneer. Also, the quality of the pioneer joints new features or not, were using aftermarket parts. Basically they're all designed based on this OEM company called Hanpin. Not a bad company. They make turntables for Stanton, Reloop, Pioneer and countless others.

Now, he may have a point with the price not being that great. I too bought my first 12s new for about 350 each. MK3s went for 400-450 new at the time and Mk5s were the ones that went from 450-500 and I think the M5Gs later were going for 600. The new pioneers go for 700 and they're not even as good as a pair of MK5Gs. People look at exterior and features and do not factor build quality.

The build quality on a Pio and a Technic IS NOT the same.:
Gio Alex 6:46 PM - 6 January, 2016
It's cool, he's getting schooled all over his FB post. Already taking Ls. I got mad respect for the dude and his craft but that post was super biased and all over the place with no facts.
WarpNote 6:54 PM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
You wouldn't want bass anywhere near that thing.

Even when running the RCAs out to a separate system, (not using the internal speakers) the player is lacking in the bass area. Something to do with the cheap build/arm/pickup.
The reviewer explains -> Watchwww.youtube.com
 6 7:07 PM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
It's cool, he's getting schooled all over his FB post. Already taking Ls. I got mad respect for the dude and his craft but that post was super biased and all over the place with no facts.

lol

I still also lol at people who care about another DJ's opinion in respect to your money. Ultimately, if a product is of great quality and has great future value, who the fuck cares about a DJ's opinion, I don't care who that DJ is.

nm
Gio Alex 7:11 PM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

lol

I still also lol at people who care about another DJ's opinion in respect to your money. Ultimately, if a product is of great quality and has great future value, who the fuck cares about a DJ's opinion, I don't care who that DJ is.

nm

I mean, I feel you on that. It's just annoying when people with a big voice send out misleading messages to the public. Liek get your facts straight before sprewing shit out. Funny thing is I wasn't even that annoyed till a friend of mine shared the post and was like "intersting". I said to myself, hold up! lol
 6 7:13 PM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

lol

nm

I mean, I feel you on that. It's just annoying when people with a big voice send out misleading messages to the public. Liek get your facts straight before sprewing shit out. Funny thing is I wasn't even that annoyed till a friend of mine shared the post and was like "intersting". I said to myself, hold up! lol

Most definitely.

nm
AKIEM 7:20 PM - 6 January, 2016
lol @ worrying about djs worrying about other djs.
Gio Alex 7:23 PM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
lol @ worrying about djs worrying about other djs.

Isn't that what we do here lol
Will08272 7:39 PM - 6 January, 2016
Well it was announced at CES, with NAMM coming up if they are present there then it's sort of showing support for DJ's. Granted it is being marketed as a high end table for audiophiles. What does it matter DJ's will either buy it or not they will still make money regardless of how people feel.
Mr. Goodkat 8:28 PM - 6 January, 2016
i dont see what the hate is with the pioneer turntable is. people stand behind jazzy, he's been at it for 30 years, and endorsement or not, he's saying he likes a product and you guys slag him.

im sure he cares. a lot. or not at all..
Gio Alex 8:47 PM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
i dont see what the hate is with the pioneer turntable is. people stand behind jazzy, he's been at it for 30 years, and endorsement or not, he's saying he likes a product and you guys slag him.

im sure he cares. a lot. or not at all..

The prob is you're giving a super basic version of what was actually said. Even people that respect him and are on his level called him out on it.

By the way, 30 years doesn't mean much when you may not understand mechanics and engineering. Not speaking on him. But even on a different topic I've seen DJs who are 30 year veterans clear an entire dancefloor because they're too stubborn or egotistical to realize they're fucking up. I've seen it.

I dunno what everyone else's deal is, but my "hate" for the PLX TT is that they dropped a product that isn't even on the level of a pair of used MK2s for the price of what the MK5Gs were originally introduced for ($600-700). The only reason why Pio did this is because they had no competition.

As far as Jazzy goes, it's not about him liking a product, it's about him giving a biased review on something that's not even out yet. So it does matter that he's endorsed because he's leaning towards one side.

I still have the original MK2s I ever purchased. You have people with PLX-1000s and they already have issues with them.
Gio Alex 8:51 PM - 6 January, 2016
Welp, I guess Pio either has to come up with a new product or just either give up the whole Turntable venture altogether. Or just sell em for $399 lol since vinyl has a resurgence.
Mr. Goodkat 9:06 PM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
I dunno what everyone else's deal is, but my "hate" for the PLX TT is that they dropped a product that isn't even on the level of a pair of used MK2s for the price of what the MK5Gs were originally introduced for ($600-700). The only reason why Pio did this is because they had no competition.

ive used one in a club that has djs on tts 3 nites a week for a year. no problems. fairly high stress environment since my residency has moved dj booths and what was once set on concrete filled cinder blocks has been changed to cheap plywood with no backing, so i get more vibration than i would like, but they did not consult me when building the top for the dj booth kit.

the price point is not going to be what technics was when it had a manufacturing set up for 3 decades. most likely their price point was what part of the discontinuation was the decline in vinyl and popularity of turntables had dwindled

(via djtechtools.com)

“Panasonic decided to end production mainly due to a decline in demand for these analog products and also the growing difficulty of procuring key analog components necessary to sustain production,”

SO NOW, you are getting a new turntable that is going to be much more expensive, by all estimates 1000$+.

but the plx is 699 and so over priced? IS IT? High end mixers and cdjs are 2000$+.

People have problems with them on a first run production? that seems sorta normal, and again ive had zero problems.

you say you've had the same techs you purchased, which is great. WHy not see how long a pioneer tt is gonna last before you make the same critique instead of talking out of your ass about a product you dont have or use?

thats really what you are doing when it comes down to it.
Taipanic 9:09 PM - 6 January, 2016
Just to add to the discussion:

2016 dollar is worth 1.86 in 1990 money.
$350.00 average price of 1200 in 1990 would be $644.00 today.

Of course DJs are still making $100 a shift.... which equals around $53 in 1990 money.
Mr. Goodkat 9:14 PM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
Just to add to the discussion:

2016 dollar is worth 1.86 in 1990 money.
$350.00 average price of 1200 in 1990 would be $644.00 today.

Of course DJs are still making $100 a shift.... which equals around $53 in 1990 money.

this plus the cost of raw materials and manufacturing plant set ups.

plus marketing costs are much higher now than a company that had minimal advertising for a product and never supported djs(sponsorship) in anyway.
DJ GaFFle 9:31 PM - 6 January, 2016
To all PLX fans touting their quality, the proof is in the pudding: Watchwww.youtube.com
(see 14:00-18:00 and 24:30-30:00).

Any DJ (with experience) knows turntable feedback and resonance can be a night killer on a stage or loud club environment. Yes, Serato with timecode has noise-threshold adjustments but the video clearly shows how poorly designed the PLX really is. For a unit to have the mother of all DJ turntables as a template, yet ignore the basic build principle of proper noise isolation, tells you something. I'm not knocking the motor torque or scratch worthiness of the unit, just the build quality and price you pay for it all...

Update:
●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●
Technics SL-1200GAE 50th Anniversay Addition

$3999

!!! EACH !!!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ______
. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(. . ”~,. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{..$;. . .”=,. . . .“,. . . ,.-~,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,. . . . . }.>-.\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,\. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>-==``
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . \. . . . . .,-%. . . ..`\

Now waiting on the standard model...
Joee 9:37 PM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
Update:
●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●

$399

!!! EACH !!!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__

damn, i'm guessing the regular ones will be $2,000
Gio Alex 9:39 PM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

ive used one in a club that has djs on tts 3 nites a week for a year. no problems. fairly high stress environment since my residency has moved dj booths and what was once set on concrete filled cinder blocks has been changed to cheap plywood with no backing, so i get more vibration than i would like, but they did not consult me when building the top for the dj booth kit.

the price point is not going to be what technics was when it had a manufacturing set up for 3 decades. most likely their price point was what part of the discontinuation was the decline in vinyl and popularity of turntables had dwindled

(via djtechtools.com)

“Panasonic decided to end production mainly due to a decline in demand for these analog products and also the growing difficulty of procuring key analog components necessary to sustain production,”

SO NOW, you are getting a new turntable that is going to be much more expensive, by all estimates 1000$+.

but the plx is 699 and so over priced? IS IT? High end mixers and cdjs are 2000$+.

People have problems with them on a first run production? that seems sorta normal, and again ive had zero problems.

you say you've had the same techs you purchased, which is great. WHy not see how long a pioneer tt is gonna last before you make the same critique instead of talking out of your ass about a product you dont have or use?

thats really what you are doing when it comes down to it.

I like how you once again highlight a small fraction of a point I'm making, but that's fine lol let's get into this interesting debate. The point is the product cost less to make and is not up to par. Read the examples above and the videos made about the turntable.

Now you brought up some really interesting stuff stating "the plx is 699 and so over priced? IS IT? High end mixers and cdjs are 2000$+"..... Ummmm, what brand makes those expensive ass CDJs and Mixers again???? Pioneer! the DJM-T1 was introduced for $1699 and brought down to $599 once the Z2 came out. All I'm saying is shit does not have to cost as much as it does. The reason they do it is because they're on top. Denon makes hi-end/pro gear just as good if not better and their pricing is different.

Pio PLX-1000 does not equal your old MK2 in quality. Why is this even an argument.

Furthermore, I understand inflation. All I'm saying is make the product quality work with the price. Hell, pioneers cheapest mixer is a DJM-350 for $599 and it cost as much as a Z2, FOH with that.
Gio Alex 9:41 PM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Update:
●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●

$399

!!! EACH !!!

damn, i'm guessing the regular ones will be $2,000

Hoping the regular ones will be 1K tops, but if they're 2k then :*(
Gio Alex 9:46 PM - 6 January, 2016
For $3999 now they're tapping into the real audiophile market and I have to ask at that point, does it in fact match other audiophile turntables that go for that price?
DJ GaFFle 9:52 PM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:

Hoping the regular ones will be 1K tops, but if they're 2k then :*(

I've already told a couple of the resellers to tell Technics not to cut any corners in comparison to the prior series of 1200's. We're watching...
Mr. Goodkat 9:52 PM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
Pio PLX-1000 does not equal your old MK2 in quality. Why is this even an argument.

but they are made in 2 different eras is what im saying.

now that we have a new tech, look how expensive it is. if it comes out at msrp 999 and a plx is 699, you are looking at 30% difference. if a mk2 was 350 and a plx was 245$ then the difference wouldnt be a big deal(even though it will likely be more than 999, just using an estimate)

again, i get the vids and such, but i've used one for right about 52 weeks. we have 3 djs per week and the booth is very unstable. to the point where i would moan about it but i dont have to because its not an issue. i can literally tap on the table( i have to tell my friends not to if they are in the booth and just doing what people do, which for some reason slap, or beat the table) and see the circles move/vibrate in the oscillope view with the tech mk3 and the plx.

the plx just has the pitch adjustement for +16+50. which i occasionally use to loop for a transition which is nice as well.

regardless of jazzy's mechanical engineering knowledge, he's using them and hasnt gone on a rant yet as far as I know. i seriously doubt he would use one if he thought it was going to interfere with his performance because he would have more than a sponsorship on the line if hes doing a 20-40k corporate gig/5-20 private gig or what ever he gets nowadays.
Gio Alex 9:58 PM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

but they are made in 2 different eras is what im saying.

now that we have a new tech, look how expensive it is. if it comes out at msrp 999 and a plx is 699, you are looking at 30% difference. if a mk2 was 350 and a plx was 245$ then the difference wouldnt be a big deal(even though it will likely be more than 999, just using an estimate)

again, i get the vids and such, but i've used one for right about 52 weeks. we have 3 djs per week and the booth is very unstable. to the point where i would moan about it but i dont have to because its not an issue. i can literally tap on the table( i have to tell my friends not to if they are in the booth and just doing what people do, which for some reason slap, or beat the table) and see the circles move/vibrate in the oscillope view with the tech mk3 and the plx.

the plx just has the pitch adjustement for +16+50. which i occasionally use to loop for a transition which is nice as well.

regardless of jazzy's mechanical engineering knowledge, he's using them and hasnt gone on a rant yet as far as I know. i seriously doubt he would use one if he thought it was going to interfere with his performance because he would have more than a sponsorship on the line if hes doing a 20-40k corporate gig/5-20 private gig or what ever he gets nowadays.

You do realize that the new techs are not the same as the old techs nor the current PLXs (same era) right?

By the way, did you read his FB rant? Out of curiosity.
Gio Alex 10:03 PM - 6 January, 2016
Who knows, maybe they'll release a new 1200 that's comparable to the original ones and will be in the price range of the PLXs.

Because so far this new one they plan on dropping has a new motor entirely so the price point will be really high.
Mr. Goodkat 10:04 PM - 6 January, 2016
this one

''Everyone is posting the return of the 1200. I have a different feeling about this. Trust me these have been the cornerstone of every DJ for the past 30 years and I don't know how life would have been without them...BUT they were never intended for us to DJ on...they never really gave support to the DJ community. They have been discontinued and relaunched 100 times even if it has been urban legend. I bought my 1st pair for $245.00 from Sound of Market in Philly and saw them get to over $1000.00 because of the fear they would go away forever. Vestex,Stanton ect have tried to replace them but never quite could. Then the patent runs out and we get the Pioneer Turntable which with my eyes closed I can't tell the difference...costing less than half the price with all the little upgrades and from a company that kinda gives a shit about DJs! So before I get super hyped about the return of the 1200...lemme make sure there gonna care about who's using them and there not $2000.00!!! Time will tell!!! Just MY thoughts!''
Gio Alex 10:09 PM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
this one

''Everyone is posting the return of the 1200. I have a different feeling about this. Trust me these have been the cornerstone of every DJ for the past 30 years and I don't know how life would have been without them...BUT they were never intended for us to DJ on...they never really gave support to the DJ community. They have been discontinued and relaunched 100 times even if it has been urban legend. I bought my 1st pair for $245.00 from Sound of Market in Philly and saw them get to over $1000.00 because of the fear they would go away forever. Vestex,Stanton ect have tried to replace them but never quite could. Then the patent runs out and we get the Pioneer Turntable which with my eyes closed I can't tell the difference...costing less than half the price with all the little upgrades and from a company that kinda gives a shit about DJs! So before I get super hyped about the return of the 1200...lemme make sure there gonna care about who's using them and there not $2000.00!!! Time will tell!!! Just MY thoughts!''

Yep that one. DJ Irv addressed many things that are wrong here already. I did too, not even knowing that he posted stuff here too. So just goes to show you how many heads realized how biased it was. Not sure if you read this entire thread or not. In fact, in Jazzy's post alone many have addressed some point he made that are incorrect.

If he just kept it about the Techs potentially costing to much it would've been one thing, but to go on about relaunched 100 times, the patent running out, and all this nonsense is incorrect.
Mr. Goodkat 10:21 PM - 6 January, 2016
if you dont use them i just dont see the problem. or the rants because how can you judge something that you dont use?

and its not just the plx, there are others that have as good of performance as tech mk2s with better features. you guys are just so stuck on techs. and they're great no doubt, its just in this day and age there are alternatives that arent going to be at a quality benchmark as a standard and legend but it doesnt mean their bad or faulty inherently.

if you get second places in the olympic or even 6th place for that matter are you not a good athlete?

so far the only thing i havent been able to judge with the plx is long term reliability, which no one will know until they age long enough know.

the one thing ive seen from every turntable, incl. techs, is that they are sensitive and the better you take care of them the better performance you will have of them. ive seen the same number of busted, even newer techs because of misuse and poor treatment. ive seen old cheap turntable from the 70s still work fine becuase they sat in a corner of someones house for 30 yrs.
Mr. Goodkat 10:27 PM - 6 January, 2016
and using the ni z2 for example, it was cheaper, but many would complain that it was made of plastic(like the s9).

i actually had z2 and it was nice. no problems with the plastic. who knows how much extra it would have been to use a form of metal? maybe 10-20% more depending on the cost of raw materials at market price. I feel like the z2 was much more solid than a ttm57 as far as just the weight and feel i got when using one.

just because something was manufactured 40 yrs ago one way doesn't mean that it cant be replicated in other ways with newer technology that has been acquired in the last half decade.
Gio Alex 10:33 PM - 6 January, 2016
Nevermind, lol I give up. You clearly just pick and choose points that are convenient to address and leave out others. It's kinda pointless. Basis of the whole thing is that his rant wasn't based on facts. Especially the stuff he was pointing out. At the end of the day it doesn't matter.
Mr. Goodkat 10:39 PM - 6 January, 2016
it really doesnt.

but him saying the relaunch or production halt was a said a 1000x, is not an exact amount,its just a number meaning, a lot of times. We all heard it over the years, i started getting paid for djing 2000 and i heard it a few times.

the patent thing was basically true, but he left out other companies that did them, even though they have good products, because he probably stuck with techs. now he had pioneer making them, and he already had used pioneer mixers, and they sponsored him.

im sure after using them, like i did, he was like, whats the fuss about?

actually i thought it would be really cool because somehow you think things are going to drastically change, but they didnt, it just seemed like playing on any other tech, outside of an mk5g, which, imo is the best and most accurate, although some people dont like the digital pitch.

he made a simple opinion post, and didnt think it would be 100% scrutinized by the Technics Fanboy Mafia. simple as that.
DJ Irv 10:52 PM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
he made a simple opinion post, and didnt think it would be 100% scrutinized by the Technics Fanboy Mafia. simple as that.

Technics Fanboy Mafia - Not so much. I own a pair of PLX they are not 1200s they're not bad but they are not nearly close to Technics 1200 build quality. The problems with what Jeff said is that he is getting a check from Pioneer. He was better off not saying anything publicly. I very thoroughly picked apart what he said and I'm no Johnny Cochran.

Quote:

Gio Alex 10:57 PM - 6 January, 2016
I can say the same about opinions against another company, made by a dude who's endorsed by Pioneer. I mean c'mon. lol

He made an opinion post trying to throw things in there that aren't facts at all and try to make them sound like the were. It's not that we're fanboys, but you can't just publicly and loosely throw opinions like that without getting your story straight. Especially if you are sponsored by the other company.

Fact still remains (and you KEEP ignoring this) a MK2 is a better built TT than a PLX. Inside and out.
DJ Irv 10:59 PM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
Fact still remains (and you KEEP ignoring this) a MK2 is a better built TT than a PLX. Inside and out.

+1
Gio Alex 11:03 PM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:

Which many veteran DJs don't understand because they may not understand the mechanics. I ever heard people comparing the Audio Technica joints to Tech 12s. Shows you how much people know because they just look at the exterior. Not knowing that those have shitty tone arms and all these mechanical things that matter a lot.

You know how many veteran DJs i setup sound for that don't necessarily know how to setup their entire gear and how to balance a tone arm and all that? Shit doesn't make you god, no disrespect to the man, cuz I respect him a lot. I'm generally speaking.
woody008 11:36 PM - 6 January, 2016
$4K??? I won't be lining up to grab one at that price.

www.whathifi.com

I won't be lining up grab one at that price.
Mr. Goodkat 11:50 PM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:

the original intent was not for djing. his statement is not false nor does he take an L because it had nothing to with a PLX. the argument is, TECHnics never intended for this to be a turntable that was aimed at DJS, it just happened by accident, but its not like techs was some old school dj company that djs should be loyal.

Quote:

they only supported the dmc battles, not sponsorship of the djs that continued to make their product famous. making a set of gold turntables and sponsoring one dj competition isnt exactly support for the dj community. Without those turntables being used by dj's its likely that they would have been phased out long before 2010. no L

Quote:

clearly thats an exaggeration, but we all know we heard rumors off an on for years about the 1200 and its production/manufacturing.

Quote:

it wasnt made for djs. your L there.

Pioneer's markup is on them, AT and other brands often undercut the price of bigger manufactures because of the lack of popularity, name recognition, and marketing budget.

this episode of 'the Profit' explains it well in the episode on the kota longboards episode
www.cnbc.com
its on hulu if you cant see it.

the premise is that most people(lets say pioneer) price on margin. ala it cost you 100 to make a widget, you mark that up to the profit you want to make lets say 65% so its 165. If you price on market and you see that your a less popular, less capitalized(less money in the bank) company building the widget. you then price on market, so you see (pioneer) making it for 165, you want to slide in at 135. you thus change the manufacturing, packaging and marketing to get to that price. (i wouldnt have known that except for that episode, its in the first 5-10 mins)
HighTopFade 11:54 PM - 6 January, 2016
4k. A bit pricy to spin timecode.
AKIEM 12:04 AM - 7 January, 2016
I think it is sorta bogus (not immoral illegal) that at this point there apparently won't be an affordable 1200 made for DJing...

Maybe Panasonic is butthurt over the SL-DZ and just don't want to fuck with you DJs anymore.
woody008 12:13 AM - 7 January, 2016
If good decks are going to start costing crazy money, Rane might as well start building some.
Mr. Goodkat 12:35 AM - 7 January, 2016
can anyone find the original price of an mk2 in 1979?
Mr. Goodkat 12:40 AM - 7 January, 2016
found this, a mk3 came out at 200$ more than the mk2

www.turntabletech.com

that guy was getting so much work in the 2000s when it was hard to find replacements. lived north of dfw.
woody008 12:41 AM - 7 January, 2016
If memory serves me right they were about $280 to $350. Adjusted for inflation that should be no more than $1200 in today's Dollar.
AKIEM 12:41 AM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
If good decks are going to start costing crazy money, Rane might as well start building some.

Rane is afraid of electrical moters, they think if you turn one on in their factory it will blow up.

If the Hanpin OEMs (PLX and the rest) dont stand the test of time (my RP8000 fine) then what?

Seems like Panasonic could build a rugged DJ deck. They obviously don't care about the DJ market and like hipster bitches.

Has there ever been a group of people more brand loyal than DJs to Technics?

Means nothing... fuck em.

Or maybe the reason is the controller market and they dont want to compete with Hanpin.

All because of Auto Sync.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:07 AM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
I very thoroughly picked apart what he said and I'm no Johnny Cochran.

Well I am...lmao...

And I haven't read the rebuttals to Jeff's statement by other "vets" or whatnot, but I'll be honest....

My eyebrow DID go up a bit while reading Jeff's opinion....

And I keep forgetting that he's sponsored by Pioneer or whoever...

The truth of the matter is that NOBODY will be able to say how reliable Pioneers are compared to Technics for 30 years....

Check the stats and see if they're around 3 decades from now with little to no change in design and or support.

That would literally have to be the last turntable you will ever buy.

As for spending 4G's for a turntable....

Bwhahahahahahahhhahahahaaaa..

Cats don't even have records that DESERVE to be on a deck of that price and stature...

I'm glad Technics returned to the Turntable game, but they need to put out that 350.00 turntable again.
Mr. Goodkat 1:09 AM - 7 January, 2016
i think it was a casual statement by jeff. we're talking about turntables not astrophysics.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:10 AM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
i think it was a casual statement by jeff. we're talking about turntables not astrophysics.

A lot of detail to be kinda casual....but hey, he's Jeff....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:11 AM - 7 January, 2016
Again, Pioneer is about to have a SALE......
Mr. Goodkat 1:13 AM - 7 January, 2016
the way i see it, he is sponsored by Pioneer, but hes never come off like a shill for any product.

like i said, i use one, and its nothing special, just a turntable that works like a tech. not sure for how long or if its the best engineered one. but it does work.

i only trust guys that played vinyl and techs for at least 20 years, and continue to use them. i used them in practice with vinyl for about 8 years, ala no dvs serato and i cant tell a difference.
Mr. Goodkat 1:14 AM - 7 January, 2016
but if you have say 1000s of anything in the course of a statement, of course its a casual statement. thats like saying im gonna kill the competition at a dj battle and you take it like im gonna bring an ak to a battle, you know what he means.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:19 AM - 7 January, 2016
I personally hope Technics GIVES

Grandmaster Flash a set of the Limited Edition ones,
Jazzy Jeff
Cash Money
DJ Cheese
Red Alert and
DJ Scratch as well.
DJ GaFFle 1:27 AM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
personally hope Technics GIVES

Grandmaster Flash a set of the Limited Edition ones,
Jazzy Jeff
Cash Money
DJ Cheese
Red Alert and
DJ Scratch as well.

LoL... your boy DJ Cheese chimed in too, sort of the same way Jeff did.

I get what their beef is... it's talk about Technics supposedly not supporting the "DJ community" but what they really mean is "sponsorship" or "product endorsement" for themselves. They're not speaking for "us" low-level or normal mobile/club jocks... they're speaking on product pushing for big name acts (ie: the DJ Scratch's, Jazzy Jeff's, Z-Trip's of the world).

... Well, I can't relate to product sponsorship problems and nor can most any of you. Stop being sheep and bashing Technics just cause "they" said so. They've got different reasoning behind their rants. What other big bad equipment company makes a product that'll survive longer than some of you have been alive???

... then have great resale value after a nice paint job and RCA replacement?
The Return of Dj Sparky 1:31 AM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
I get what their beef is... it's talk about Technics supposedly not supporting the "DJ community" but what they really mean is "sponsorship" or "product endorsement" for themselves. They're not speaking for "us" low-level or normal mobile/club jocks... they're speaking on product pushing for big name acts (ie: the DJ Scratch's, Jazzy Jeff's, Z-Trip's of the world).

so true
lvmez 1:48 AM - 7 January, 2016
You guys will be surprised how many DJ's skip a mortgage payment to buys these turntable. DJing has become more about "look, what I have", compared to skill or knowledge of music. I doubt the sale of used techs will go down much.
Gio Alex 2:03 AM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
the original intent was not for djing. his statement is not false nor does he take an L because it had nothing to with a PLX. the argument is, TECHnics never intended for this to be a turntable that was aimed at DJS, it just happened by accident, but its not like techs was some old school dj company that djs should be loyal.

No one ever disputed that. However the pitch fader was because DJs used it in the sense. Funny, how a bunch of companies bit off a turntable that wash't originally designed for DJing.

Quote:
they only supported the dmc battles, not sponsorship of the djs that continued to make their product famous. making a set of gold turntables and sponsoring one dj competition isnt exactly support for the dj community. Without those turntables being used by dj's its likely that they would have been phased out long before 2010. no L

Them shits cost nothing! Marketing and Advertising was not how it is today anyway. You know how many homies I know that was hosting or part of DMCs in the 90s that got free tables from the events? Who cares! The funny thing is we said DMC battles, he never even admitted that part. So imagine some new jack that has no idea. He's basically passing off misleading info. Sponsoring DMC battles is a big thing, you act like it wasn't a big deal! Weren't they giving away LTD ED. GOLD techs to DMC champs back when they came out, btw?
Gio Alex 2:07 AM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

A lot of detail to be kinda casual....but hey, he's Jeff....

LMAO he keeps saying how casual and nonchalant his little opinion was, but it was a long ass paragraph of bad information. Enough to cause a lot of people correcting something those "opinions" he was passing off.

It's funny how we're fanboys but Goodkat defended literally everything the man said, right or wrong.
Gio Alex 2:13 AM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
like i said, i use one, and its nothing special, just a turntable that works like a tech. not sure for how long or if its the best engineered one. but it does work.

You can tell by the parts whether it is or it isn't. It still boggles me why you're so in denial about that. Have you seen made in China Technics 12?
Gio Alex 2:15 AM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
Again, Pioneer is about to have a SALE......

And I'll buy them for the price they should've been, use em as beaters, their loss, my gain.
Gio Alex 2:22 AM - 7 January, 2016
Now as far as the new Techs go, here's my theory: I recall on a lot of audiophile phone blogs/forums people upgrading their tech 12s by replacing the feet with www.isonoe.com and the tone arms with isonoe straight arm tone arms. Basically bringing them up to audiophile quality. My guess is they've probably taken notice of a lot of this action and decided they'll make a somewhat priced audiophile turntable that can still be used for DJing.

My only thing is, in that price range of 2k-4k there are already a decent amount of options for audiophile turntables though.
The Return of Dj Sparky 2:23 AM - 7 January, 2016
this changes nothing in relation to current turntables,

there new techs are priced so high that they are no real threat to the pioneer plx's market,

there're not going to really effect the used technics except anyone considering buying golds
The Return of Dj Sparky 2:23 AM - 7 January, 2016
thats to those on about a pioneer sale
Gio Alex 2:27 AM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
this changes nothing in relation to current turntables

Keep in mind our speculations were before we found out about the pricing. Now if they released a not-so "hi-fi" or audiophile version, perhaps a rebranded Tech 12 MK7, in direct competition to the PLX model then Pioneer would lower the price and/or discontinue till they have an answer.

I'm almost willing to bet that they'll discontinue them anyway. Are there any numbers to say what the sale of the PLX has been? Have they been doing well in sales or has the release been a loss so far?
05spoof 2:31 AM - 7 January, 2016
youtu.be
in action
The Return of Dj Sparky 2:32 AM - 7 January, 2016
from the moment they were announced they were said to be expensive, and by tehcnics current range of pro audio gear everyone knew these were not going to be cheap,

and even if the pioneers aren't selling well they won't be discontinued as pioneer will probably be entering the dvs market soon with their rekord box software and will want something to complement that
Gio Alex 2:36 AM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
and even if the pioneers aren't selling well they won't be discontinued

They will be, because once they release something newer the usually discontinue the old.
The Return of Dj Sparky 2:40 AM - 7 January, 2016
well let me rephrase what i ment,

they will have a pioneer turntable available maybe not the plx but a mk2 or so on available if they ever introduce dvs in rekordbox
Gio Alex 3:16 AM - 7 January, 2016
Gotcha!
the SOUNDINSURGENT 3:21 AM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
youtu.be
in action

40 lbs a table!! NO WAY in hell!! Ill stick to the originals, lmao!! Plus the fact I don't have 8 grand lying around..........
woody008 3:31 AM - 7 January, 2016
Hi, Panasonic here. Hey deejays, loyalty is overrated. Sorry guys its just business.
lvmez 3:50 AM - 7 January, 2016
Sticking to my M5G's.
HighTopFade 4:02 AM - 7 January, 2016
Too rich for me. I'm pretty happy with the PLX-1000
DJ Irv 4:28 AM - 7 January, 2016
The GAE version of the 1200's are limited edition like the LTD GLD MK6K1. Not sure you can gauge the price of the 1200G (non limited edition) on the GAE (limited edition).

Still puzzled by the fudgery of comparing clones to originals. Clones won't exist without the original.

We should all wait until they release the standard 1200G to bitch about the price. The GAE version is for audiophiles the same way the MK4 was.
AKIEM 4:32 AM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
youtu.be
in action

(lol @ the warped record)

I was going to mention what if they have some non-desirable features...

40lbs tho? wow.

Eh... GAE.
Luke Annett 4:33 AM - 7 January, 2016
If I was loaded I would buy a pair. Without a doubt. $4k isn't too bad though imho if it's the 1200gae. If the 1200g is at $2k it would be money well spent. At least you're getting something that will not depreciate, is actually worth the money and will last you 20 years.

Pioneer's cdj's are the biggest joke of all time. All these young kids splash $2k on a cdj-2000 that still does the same thing as a turntable released 30 years ago. Even though I've owned quite a few cdj's through the years they aren't worth what people pay for them and most djs don't even use 90% of the features on them but still have to have the best shitty cdjs they can buy.

The super OEMS are shit. The rp-8000 is the ONLY turntable that even comes close to technics spec wise. I've owned 8x Stanton 150s and they ALL have had noise issues. Super OEMS are shit. Only good for timecode and even then they struggle because the wow and flutter is so high. End of. I wouldn't pay $200 for a PLX. I paid $200 each for a set of Technics 1800mk2 and they outperform all of the super oems.
2xUeL 4:34 AM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
youtu.be
in action

40 lbs a table!! NO WAY in hell!! Ill stick to the originals, lmao!! Plus the fact I don't have 8 grand lying around..........

Surprised you were the first to take note of this. That's great for an audiophile who'll just keep the thing at home. I know how heavy MK2's are so good point, it's crazy to think that these would be *that* much heavier to lug to and from gigs!
AKIEM 4:37 AM - 7 January, 2016
Wait, all the OEMs are crap compared to the RP8000. Guess I got lucky, I thought they were all similar.
HighTopFade 4:38 AM - 7 January, 2016
Friend of mine went to CES and talked to a Technics rep. He said MSRP for the 1200G is $3999.
Luke Annett 4:43 AM - 7 January, 2016
Well, the specs of the rp-8000 compare favourably. Whether they are as well built or have as much noise isolation..... that's another matter.
DJ Irv 4:44 AM - 7 January, 2016
Google McIntosh amps and see what they sell for. That's the world of audiophile gear. Audiophile is CEO type money for stuff.
Luke Annett 4:51 AM - 7 January, 2016
$4k.... Ah well... I can dream... Just a pity I have more important things to spend money on like rent and bills....
HighTopFade 4:53 AM - 7 January, 2016
Technics will be fine without the help of DJs. Audiophiles are crazy obsessed gear mongers
AKIEM 4:55 AM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
Well, the specs of the rp-8000 compare favourably. Whether they are as well built or have as much noise isolation..... that's another matter.

I thought all the OEMs would have similar specs. Hmmm

And I don't really use them for real vinyl... They really were designed for DVS (buttons to tap)

Maybe in a couple years they will drop a "low price" DJ Technics. It really is a shame to waste so much fanboy capital - millions down the drain.
MPC O.G. 5:22 AM - 7 January, 2016
All we need now is for RANE to make a new EMPATH based on the 2015 and let it be open to all DVS like the 2015. Add the joysticks off the OG 57 and some new, bigger pads. I can't wait for the fall of 2016. Putting money to the side, starting TODAY.
forty 5:23 AM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
So these are not digital like the M5G's?

I sure hope not.

Why people prefer the digital pitch control is beyond me. Sure, they don't go out of wack, but the resolution is not as fine. They don't lock on long mixes like the analog pitch control on other 1200 models.

Anyone heard anything about detachable power and RCA connections? I see they still kept the earth wire on them though. :(
deejayavery 3:16 PM - 7 January, 2016
At the end of the day, a $4K turntable is not geared toward the majority of working (or bedroom) dj's.

They look sexy as hell but my guess is Technics will likely release various models in the future(hopefully lol).

As for the PLX haters, I have a few setups and PLX are working great (also have a pair of MK2's and M5G's).
DJDBOOGIE 3:17 PM - 7 January, 2016
The new Technics turntable will reportedly set you back $4000 @Mixmag www.mixmag.net
Gio Alex 4:11 PM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
Technics will be fine without the help of DJs. Audiophiles are crazy obsessed gear mongers

Basically. Rich DJs will still buy em anyway. Heck, if the non limited ones miraculously went for 1k I'd buy em.
Gio Alex 4:12 PM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
Google McIntosh amps and see what they sell for. That's the world of audiophile gear. Audiophile is CEO type money for stuff.

Yup.
Gio Alex 4:15 PM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
All these young kids splash $2k on a cdj-2000 that still does the same thing as a turntable released 30 years ago.

This.

Maybe I'm old school in my thinking, but I agree with this. A while back I worked in the audio department of this tech place and they just started to carry $2k CDJs and kids parents were buying them like they were nothing. So what's the big deal if you buy TTs that'll last forever, rather than something that'll become obsolete. I still have the my original techs from the 90s. Still work just fine.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:39 PM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
youtu.be
in action

40 lbs? lmao...

Ain't no way....
Gio Alex 4:53 PM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
youtu.be
in action

40 lbs? lmao...

Ain't no way....

That guy didn't really seem to know what he was talking about though.

But don't the Stanton ST-150s weight 40lbs as well?
AKIEM 4:55 PM - 7 January, 2016
When I see someone show up with them in some cases the only thing I will do is LMAO.
Gio Alex 4:56 PM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
When I see someone show up with them in some cases the only thing I will do is LMAO.

And secretly hate a tiny bit, don't front lol
AKIEM 4:57 PM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Jus a little... Secretly.... SHHHHH!

lol
Gio Alex 5:02 PM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Jus a little... Secretly.... SHHHHH!

lol

LMAO

31.media.tumblr.com
Taipanic 7:08 PM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
I think it is sorta bogus (not immoral illegal) that at this point there apparently won't be an affordable 1200 made for DJing...

Maybe Panasonic is butthurt over the SL-DZ and just don't want to fuck with you DJs anymore.

I think it's all relative. Say they sell the base model for $2k and the quality is comparable to the original product. You are getting a deck that should last your entire DJ career and has all the features of the M5G (quartz lock and 0-16% pitch). Compared to the other most popular gear, the CDJ2000 Nexus which only lasts 2-3 years, cheaper build quality & components. Why wouldn't you sell it for $2k or more after watching people buy overpriced Pioneer stuff for the last 15 years. If you started buying CDJs in 1992 you are probably on your 6th or 7th pair... and the same 1200s you bought for $400 a pair used.
Gio Alex 7:12 PM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I think it's all relative. Say they sell the base model for $2k and the quality is comparable to the original product. You are getting a deck that should last your entire DJ career and has all the features of the M5G (quartz lock and 0-16% pitch). Compared to the other most popular gear, the CDJ2000 Nexus which only lasts 2-3 years, cheaper build quality & components. Why wouldn't you sell it for $2k or more after watching people buy overpriced Pioneer stuff for the last 15 years. If you started buying CDJs in 1992 you are probably on your 6th or 7th pair... and the same 1200s you bought for $400 a pair used.

Thank you! That's what I was saying.
Mr. Goodkat 7:58 PM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
It's funny how we're fanboys but Goodkat defended literally everything the man said, right or wrong.

im not defending him, im just saying an off the cuff statement on facebook doesnt need intense analysis, especially when you are interpreting how you want to instead of actually having a debate with the man. im just playing devils advocate if anything, you guys are like, trying to trump(no donald) him in some way.

im honestly not a huge jazzy jeff fan, obviously hes good though and knows more about djing that all of us combined. has played more gigs with techs than all of us combined. and probably djing longer than gio alex and i have combined. and ive been getting paid with residency since jan 2000.
AKIEM 8:32 PM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

im not defending him, im just saying an off the cuff statement on facebook doesnt need intense analysis, especially when you are interpreting how you want to instead of actually having a debate with the man. im just playing devils advocate if anything, you guys are like, trying to trump(no donald) him in some way.

im honestly not a huge jazzy jeff fan, obviously hes good though and knows more about djing that all of us combined. has played more gigs with techs than all of us combined. and probably djing longer than gio alex and i have combined. and ive been getting paid with residency since jan 2000.

Your stats might be a little off there....

I do wonder if Jeff knows its a Hanpin. Not that that even really matters either - doubt he meant to be releasing a press release concerning his research on the situation. Cats be making an off the cuff remark and its on the front page official..

And the other thing you could do with 4 to 8k, is buy half a dozen used decks, spiff em up and be more than good your entire career.
Gio Alex 8:33 PM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

True, I don't disagree with you there. I agree with most of this to be honest. Especially him having skills and mad experience.

Where we disagree here is that, 20 years or even 30 years doesn't NECESSARILY mean that you know the ins and outs of a turntable or any electronics for that matter. Like I said, I've set up sound for veterans that don't know technical things and I've also seen them do crazy rookie mistakes. I'm sure you've experienced this before as well.

And then calling us Tech Fanboys lol. I own several Pioneer Mixers. I just won't buy everything they put out.
Mr. Goodkat 8:35 PM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
Cats be making an off the cuff remark and its on the front page official..

this
The Return of Dj Sparky 8:36 PM - 7 January, 2016
Jazzy Jeff got to even try out the new 1200 GAE edition

Watchwww.youtube.com
Mr. Goodkat 8:36 PM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
And then calling us Tech Fanboys

im just saying you took his statement like some sort of attack on techs. i took it more like hes just speaking off the cuff on fb.
Gio Alex 8:36 PM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
I do wonder if Jeff knows its a Hanpin.

This is pretty much what we've been pointing out here. 20-30 years in the game won't necessarily make you understand these sorta things. For all I know the man prob has a new or different deck set up at every gig so the durability/stability may not even be an issue.
Gio Alex 8:36 PM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Cats be making an off the cuff remark and its on the front page official..

this

I mean... lol
Gio Alex 8:38 PM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
And then calling us Tech Fanboys

im just saying you took his statement like some sort of attack on techs. i took it more like hes just speaking off the cuff on fb.

A lot of people did though. If you're someone that has a major following usually you keep things that aren't facts to yourself though. Not everyone follows this but usually it's just a good idea. This is which certain people stay neutral and out of politics.
Gio Alex 8:39 PM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
Jazzy Jeff got to even try out the new 1200 GAE edition

Watchwww.youtube.com

LMAO
Mr. Goodkat 8:39 PM - 7 January, 2016
tru tru
AKIEM 10:15 PM - 7 January, 2016
djworx.com.

Oh shit, wait they said the regular version will be $4k msrp as well?

Whats that 5 Hanpins, 6 used 1200s ?

How long you think ur career is gonna even be?

Guess it's got, the removable chords, so that's a plus! :-/
Will08272 10:15 PM - 7 January, 2016
djworx.com
So the price for both are $3999.99
Gio Alex 10:43 PM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
Oh shit, wait they said the regular version will be $4k msrp as well?

Quote:
djworx.com
So the price for both are $3999.99

That doesn't even make sense! But then again, I guess the only difference is the badge? lol

That's a shame. Super bummer.
The Return of Dj Sparky 10:51 PM - 7 January, 2016
1200GAE has a magnesium tone arm and will be apparently heavier then the 1200G edition and will have its individual number printed on the badge is the only differences i have read about so far
Gio Alex 10:51 PM - 7 January, 2016
Welp, in their defense the very first time they announced this last with with no real details they did mention it being an audiophile TT back then as well.

So much for those liquidated PLX-1000s. Unless they (Technics) somehow releases a "DJ friendly/cost effective" pair.
Joee 10:54 PM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
So much for those liquidated PLX-1000s..

i tried to tell you……pioneer will not be having a sale on plx's

well maybe $100 off……..lol
DJ Irv 10:56 PM - 7 January, 2016
Man, the internets has Technics gassed if they thought they could make MSRP $4000.
The Return of Dj Sparky 10:57 PM - 7 January, 2016
if anything pioneer will be releasing a more expensive model with a few tweaks
Joee 10:59 PM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
Man, the internets has Technics gassed if they thought they could make MSRP $4000.

you know what it is, all the ridicules prices people have been selling 12's at since the announcement of they're demise
Gio Alex 10:59 PM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
So much for those liquidated PLX-1000s..

i tried to tell you……pioneer will not be having a sale on plx's

well maybe $100 off……..lol

LOL....

There's still hope that they'll release a reg version. Otherwise, at the end of the day it's not like I don't have enough turntables. We just want new toys sometimes.
Gio Alex 11:01 PM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
if anything pioneer will be releasing a more expensive model with a few tweaks

Will now that the have all this room to work with. At 4K that gives Pio a lot of range to work with. they can even do a 2K one if people are paying 2K+ for one CDJ.
The Return of Dj Sparky 11:02 PM - 7 January, 2016
best case scenario would be for the 1200GAE to flop and only sell a hundred or two,

panasonic in desperation to recoup R&D and production costs decide to fall back on the dj market to save them and they release a 1200 MK7, ditching the fancy allulium and keeping the new motor with a retail price of about 900-1000$
DJ Irv 11:06 PM - 7 January, 2016
I still think the 1200G could fetch 1000/each street price but anything over 1299 seal their doom.
woody008 11:14 PM - 7 January, 2016
With an MSRP of what ever and an actual street price of $1300 they could sell a good number of a model that is close to the original and the audiophools cans pay 4 or 3K for these expensive new models.
Gio Alex 11:19 PM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
best case scenario would be for the 1200GAE to flop and only sell a hundred or two,

It's possible. Companies like sony and Panasonic have been known for releasing ridiculously expensive luxury items that flop. But then again, there's a lot of rich as people in the world these days. In my neighborhood a 1 bedroom apartment averages at 2500. Now I'm not saying that's a rich price, but it's a ridiculous price for a small box and you kinda have to not care about money to rent that.

Quote:
I still think the 1200G could fetch 1000/each street price but anything over 1299 seal their doom.

I still think it's possible. I have a feeling that the limited edition run will dictate the real pricing of the non-limited ones. Even if they claim $4k.
05spoof 11:32 PM - 7 January, 2016
With those prices Technic's is GAE LOL!
AKIEM 11:34 PM - 7 January, 2016
lol at how they missed that (or maybe not?)
The Return of Dj Sparky 11:38 PM - 7 January, 2016
well at that price their market is people that like to get fucked in the ass
Joee 11:39 PM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
well at that price their market is people that like to get fucked in the ass

well some people enjoy that sort of thing

i guess i could see the paying $1,200 for something they enjoy
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:19 AM - 8 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
youtu.be

in action

40 lbs? lmao...

Ain't no way....

That guy didn't really seem to know what he was talking about though.

But don't the Stanton ST-150s weight 40lbs as well?

I'm saying, cats are bellyaching about carrying 12's AS IS...

Ain't nobody carrying 40lbs per arm....

much less a coffin with those cinderblocks in there.

4K @ 40lbs....lol.

Comedy.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:28 AM - 8 January, 2016
Oh, and Pioneer is about to have a SALE....
The Return of Dj Sparky 12:28 AM - 8 January, 2016
Quote:

no they're not
Joee 12:33 AM - 8 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

no they're not

+1

maybe $100 off……..lol
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:35 AM - 8 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

no they're not

We'll see....

Stay tuned...
woody008 12:38 AM - 8 January, 2016
Louis Dorio from Ortofon:

So, according to the lead engineer on the new 1200 from Technics Japan, the only difference to the base is the top metal layer, making it 4 layers instead of the former 3. The motor is coreless, which is better for speed stability as it is said to eliminate any cogging effect. It is a 9 pole motor instead of 12 pole. The arm is still stainless steel bearings, but the machining process has been improved to reduce friction. Same arm geometry. The pitch control is now fully digital, but the engineer could not tell me the gradient. The platter is now 40 pounds because if the brass layer. Another thing to help with speed stability. Removable RCA cables on this, and a 78rpm function like the MK4. The chief engineer claims that the table is a full rebuild with much less in common than the former models than ever before.

There are torque and break adjustments under the platter, and a USB port for service purposes. So there goes your home servicing, it looks like.

The limited edition model will sell for $4000 MSRP, and when that is done, the non limited model will *also* be 4000.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:39 AM - 8 January, 2016
OH BTW - Cash Money chimed in...

Okay i wasn't going to speak about this topic but you guy's keep asking me my opinion about the Re-release of the Technics 1200 turntables..So here it is..My opinion comes from a personal feeling with relation to Panasonic/Technics..I have only used Technics turntables from the beginning besides one Fisher turntable until i could afford to get another Technics B101 turntable..

Being that i had become a DMC World Champion which the competition had been sponsored by Technics..Which i think was more of a push on Tony Prince & DMC to make that happen..Technics has always been apart of my life whether directly or indirectly..My gold turntables are made by Technics and were given to me for my contribution to the dj world..A lot of you may not know this but i was probably the closest dj to get a sponsorship from Panasonic/Technics without being a dj from Japan..They actually did an ad with me & sponsored me by making shirts with my name and my All World Radio Show at that time on the back of the shirts..Then there were talks about a full sponsorship that would have had me on the the Time Square Panasonic Monitor in New York City...

I say all of this to say..Technics have been pretty good to me personally..Could they have done more for the Hip Hop Community..."ABSOLUTELY"..Now as far as Pioneer goes..I have personally spun on there mixers & turntables and was filmed and promised gear...Which i have yet to see...

Every piece of Pioneer equipment i have i paid for. Pioneer has done nothing for me personally...Where as Technics has...So all of these posts about this topic are about personal choice..I wish Technics all the best with there re-release of the "Holy Grail of Turntables"..My dj career was made using these things...
woody008 12:42 AM - 8 January, 2016
I guess Technics/Panasonic wants to be taken seriously by the audiophile community and nothing does that better than pricing your stuff sky high.
Gio Alex 12:44 AM - 8 January, 2016
Quote:

Have you paid attention to the thread at all? LOL

even I took back my statements. If technics releases a non hi-fi/audiophile version then Pio will go on sale for sure.

With that said, Pioneer is about to have a SALE
Joee 12:50 AM - 8 January, 2016
Quote:
The platter is now 40 pounds because if the brass layer. Another thing to help with speed stability

is this a typo the plater is 40lbs?

what about the rest of it is this a 80lbs turntable?
The Return of Dj Sparky 12:56 AM - 8 January, 2016
typo, the whole unit is 40lbs,

the brass is just one of the main factors in the increased weight
woody008 1:00 AM - 8 January, 2016
There you have it folks. Panasonic is not interested in reviving the good old wheels of steel but instead is using the 1200's legendary status (the result of fanatical DJ's praise) as a marketing ploy to sell boutique audiophile gear at prices unattainable by DJs or the average Joe.

They could have styles this new fine machine (which only looks like a 1200 ) in the style of the legendary SP-10Mk2 audiophile turntable which is what this new deck seeks to replace but instead they chose to package it as a 1200 lookalike. I see where they are going with this.

Sounds like a big FUCK YOU to Joe Schmucks and DJs if you ask me.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:01 AM - 8 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Have you paid attention to the thread at all? LOL

I skimmed over most remarks, but the most important parts start with the number "4".

4 G's and

40 lbs...

Quote:
even I took back my statements. If technics releases a non hi-fi/audiophile version then Pio will go on sale for sure.

With that said, Pioneer is about to have a SALE

No, Technics doesn't have to do ANYTHING else except soup people up....

Now that "Technics" turntables are back in "Production", the prices for the USED ones will bottom out...

Pioneer won't be able to keep up with that, and will subsequently lower their prices, OR just stop making turntables altogether...

You heard it here first....
DJ GaFFle 1:03 AM - 8 January, 2016
Quote:

Yes
monchi 1:30 AM - 8 January, 2016
Apparently Technics knows Techs can last 20 years LOL.
Bottom out for used hell to the NO. How many can really afford $8gs for TTs?
Prices will remain.
Peeps that were selling M5g for cheap, to get PLX 1000 found out the hard way. Then again PLX was built cheap.
monchi 1:31 AM - 8 January, 2016
people bought test platinum CDJ pckge, for what 7-8k, how much is it worth now?
monchi 1:32 AM - 8 January, 2016
Quote:
people bought them PIO platinumcrap CDJ pckge, for what 7-8k, how much is it worth now?
The Return of Dj Sparky 1:34 AM - 8 January, 2016
worth mentioning twice
monchi 1:35 AM - 8 January, 2016
Maybe Pio will buy this new design and come out with the plx 5000 for $500.
AKIEM 1:50 AM - 8 January, 2016
Theres not one dude out there with 14 decks trying to off them to get the new joints.
ratoa 2:06 AM - 8 January, 2016
I really like to see the PCB on this new Technics.

I'm a electronics technician and most likely it will have surface mount components (capacitors, diodes and MP) with a 2 or 3 layer PCB. So repairs on the main board will be hard for a regular Joe, if true you need to send the turntable to service or get a new board.

I haven't seen the PLX-1000 in flesh but a teardown on YT, the board have the same aproach, and people b*&^ about it,,,,,TBH this is 2016 and 97% of the electronics devices comes that way from the factory...time will tell.
 6 4:24 AM - 8 January, 2016
Quote:
OH BTW - Cash Money chimed in...

Okay i wasn't going to speak about this topic but you guy's keep asking me my opinion about the Re-release of the Technics 1200 turntables..So here it is..My opinion comes from a personal feeling with relation to Panasonic/Technics..I have only used Technics turntables from the beginning besides one Fisher turntable until i could afford to get another Technics B101 turntable..

Being that i had become a DMC World Champion which the competition had been sponsored by Technics..Which i think was more of a push on Tony Prince & DMC to make that happen..Technics has always been apart of my life whether directly or indirectly..My gold turntables are made by Technics and were given to me for my contribution to the dj world..A lot of you may not know this but i was probably the closest dj to get a sponsorship from Panasonic/Technics without being a dj from Japan..They actually did an ad with me & sponsored me by making shirts with my name and my All World Radio Show at that time on the back of the shirts..Then there were talks about a full sponsorship that would have had me on the the Time Square Panasonic Monitor in New York City...

I say all of this to say..Technics have been pretty good to me personally..Could they have done more for the Hip Hop Community..."ABSOLUTELY"..Now as far as Pioneer goes..I have personally spun on there mixers & turntables and was filmed and promised gear...Which i have yet to see...

Every piece of Pioneer equipment i have i paid for. Pioneer has done nothing for me personally...Where as Technics has...So all of these posts about this topic are about personal choice..I wish Technics all the best with there re-release of the "Holy Grail of Turntables"..My dj career was made using these things...

Basically, seems as if dude would have a better opinion if Pioneer gave him the shit they promised. Unbelievable.

nm
HighTopFade 4:32 AM - 8 January, 2016
Quote:
Basically, seems as if dude would have a better opinion if Pioneer gave him the shit they promised. Unbelievable.

That's uncool. Viewing Pioneer's youtube page, looks like they have a lot of big name djs on their payroll.
Gio Alex 6:38 AM - 8 January, 2016
Quote:
Peeps that were selling M5g for cheap, to get PLX 1000 found out the hard way.

Ouch! I totally forgot people did this. Yikes.
Gio Alex 6:39 AM - 8 January, 2016
Quote:
Maybe Pio will buy this new design and come out with the plx 5000 for $500.

Even if they did, still gonna be made in china, and not the same engineering as technics.
DJ Irv 3:02 PM - 8 January, 2016
Quote:
Even if they did, still gonna be made in china, and not the same engineering as technics.

I think China is capable of high end production but if it cost Pioneer another $100 per deck they won't do it.

From my travels to Japan I can tell you that Japanese people take their work serious and with pride. It very obvious in most of the things they make. The 1200 is one of the greatest example of it. Has anyone here ever seen a 1200 come out of the box with the tonearm bearing anything less than perfectly adjusted?
Gio Alex 4:04 PM - 8 January, 2016
Quote:
From my travels to Japan I can tell you that Japanese people take their work serious and with pride. It very obvious in most of the things they make. The 1200 is one of the greatest example of it.

Which is why I doubt Pioneer would make said high end TT without skimming a lot and/or having a ridiculous mark up. At least with a name like 1200 you're getting quality for your money.

Now, I'm not saying Pio is incapable of doing or whether a high-end product can be made in China. I just think Pio thinks profit and margin before anything.
AKIEM 4:32 PM - 8 January, 2016
Quote:

Maybe that's what Jeff did, and hes just mad.
AKIEM 4:34 PM - 8 January, 2016
Oh shit, I just heard Panasonic outsourced to China and the GAE (pronounced 'gay') is actually just another Hanpin.
Gio Alex 4:38 PM - 8 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe that's what Jeff did, and hes just mad.

LMAO

No speaking about Jeff (not trynna get flamed) but old or older DJs are just mad in general, no matter how good they're doing lol.

Old people are just bitter. Even I'm bitter and catch myself hating.
Gio Alex 4:38 PM - 8 January, 2016
Quote:
Oh shit, I just heard Panasonic outsourced to China and the GAE (pronounced 'gay') is actually just another Hanpin.

You're killing me with this GAE pronunciation lol
AKIEM 4:48 PM - 8 January, 2016
hate hate hate
MPC O.G. 4:59 PM - 8 January, 2016
People are STILL harping on price. You get what you pay for. My second hand 1200's are at LEAST 25 years old and start & stop like they just came out of the box. People pay $2,000 for CDJ's that don't last 3 years. Why isn't anyone mad about that? Quick to call people that recognize quality a fanboy, but refuse to speak on Pioneer's SHITTY build quality and terrible customer service. I would GLADLY put my old 1200's and RANE 57 up against ANYTHING PIO makes in a torture test. Time reveals all.
HighTopFade 5:18 PM - 8 January, 2016
Yeah, 4K is about right. It should last more than 25 years.
Mr. Goodkat 8:46 PM - 8 January, 2016
Quote:
People pay $2,000 for CDJ's that don't last 3 years

its apples to oranges.
Gio Alex 9:40 PM - 8 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
People pay $2,000 for CDJ's that don't last 3 years

its apples to oranges.

Lol apples and oranges is your rebuttal?

It's beyond not lasting 3 years. Think of it this way... Digital stuff becomes obsolete all the time (very short times these days), however think about how many years the MKII has been used as a tool for DJing and continues to be even with digital add ons. 30-40+ years? Not the case with CDJs. I'm starting to believe you just like to disagree for the sake of disagreeing. lol
lumas13 10:44 PM - 8 January, 2016
I'm just waiting for that guy to get one to open it up, so I can see what I'm missing
Mr. Goodkat 11:06 PM - 8 January, 2016
the reason its different is not because of the price

''Digital stuff becomes obsolete all the time (very short times these days), however think about how many years the MKII has been used as a tool for DJing and continues to be even with digital add ons. 30-40+ years? Not the case with CDJs.''

Its a tt that plays records. while these records can records can control dvs systems its the same basic system that has been available for around +-100 years (depending on how you want to compare a modern tt to early phonographs). The dj cd player technology has changed/improved over the last +-25 or so years dj cd players have been around. The Cd format is only about 35 years old. As i looked up wiki the first phono graphs were around in the late 1800s, then you have 78s(shellac records), you have the late 40s-50s with new styles of records(33s/45) being introduced and the standard format.

cd players are a bit different on comparison of changing formats(although we have gone from only wav files to many formats), but the cd dj player much has changed drastically.

jog wheels, resolution,margin of pitch control, size, ability of the cdj performance, gui, formats playable(wav to many audio formats), now the ability to read flash drives, read flash drive over mulitple decks, HID modes for software programs. WHile im sure i missed a few advances in the last 15 or so years, things change quickly.

Therefore people bought new cdjs for the advancements or enhancments they added. Many people switched to cdjs (im 100% sure more than people switching from cdjs to tts) in the last 10 years increasing the market and potential for buying newer cdjs.

techs mk2/3/5 had little in the way of improvements and outside of minor adjustments. they took out the center indent,quartz lock button and changed the power on off from 2-3, maybe there are more, but i remember most people saying, whats the point of the mk3, other than taking the center indent out, which could already be done. Even with the mk5g most people did not want the digital pitch and some really could care less about the ability to pitch increase to +-16

'People pay $2,000 for CDJ's that don't last 3 years. Why isn't anyone mad about that'

and you dont get mad at that because, while it is expensive, you know you are getting a product that can and does much more than a standard 1200 or the last CDJ. With time code cds or regular cds with wavs or mp3s, you can still use older cdjs. There is no need to upgrade unless you want the newer features.

When you can get the same functionality/componentry out of a tt as a cdj i.e. cues, usb availability, hid mode, stability, super high end dacs to handle the audio coming out of the tt, small screens and a built in software that can run outside of dvs, or be completely integrated within almost all dj software programs, then it would be apples to apples.

i can think of a ton of analogies but really aren't any that can accurately describe the difference as well as what i have already stated.
4mydawgz 5:37 PM - 9 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Correct, the real market for these are mid grade audiophiles and the Hipster/Baby Boomer/Gen Xers that want to play vinyl again. I would guess the DJ share of their sales is probably 30% - not enough by itself to support production - that's why they went away in the first place, because only DJs were still buying them.

There is no way that these are being marketed to hipsters at a price point of $1000. Hipsters are not big spenders. These are being marketed to former DJ's and current DJ's, past and present Technic owners. They are being marketed to anyone willing to overpay for a product two to three times over. These will be marketed like the retro Jordans. The limited editions will be bought up by people who will never use them. And the "not so limited edition" will be undersupplied as to create a high demand for them at a high price point.
Mr. Goodkat 8:31 PM - 9 January, 2016
market to audiophiles, not really even djs.
MPC O.G. 8:36 PM - 9 January, 2016
Quote:

You mean just like they ALWAYS were intended?
AKIEM 9:07 PM - 9 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

You mean just like they ALWAYS were intended?

Yes and no.

Yes they are marketing to hi-fi enthusiasts with lots of money. Some of those are hipsters who know the brand. And its true, they wernt ever intended to be DJ decks. But DJs adopted them. and were key to it being so Successful a product. So they did and up marketing to DJs, lots of marketing. Amd even created a successor product designed exclusively for DJs the SL-DZ. Wasn't intended for any market other than DJs. So at that point they were 'all in'.

So for them to come back ignoring the DJ market completely, even tho there is def a market for new decks at some price point makese think they won't ever release a DJ deck.

Could be all hype and they intend to after all the crying...
Mr. Goodkat 9:22 PM - 9 January, 2016
jeez technics is going high end across the board. 1200$ headphones

www.theverge.com
Mr. Goodkat 9:28 PM - 9 January, 2016
and as far as jazzy jeffs mention that techs were rumored to go out of biz '1000s of times', this article from 2010 with Mr. Scruff (if you dont know him you def should, has some great vids about using records and tts on a big stage on youtube), opens with a similar sentiment from Scruff.

''I'm a little bit sceptical about the announcement, because there have been so many suggestions previously that Technics are going to stop making turntables. It stirs up a bit of debate, people panic-buy – and then nothing happens.''

via 2010 when they were going out of production

www.theguardian.com
AKIEM 9:59 PM - 9 January, 2016
Marketing Genius
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:20 AM - 10 January, 2016
This is so funny.... 1200's haven't gone anywhere....Cats are just paying astronomical prices for them.....
HighTopFade 5:06 PM - 10 January, 2016
If they perform as well as the other audiophile decks in the same price range, then the cost is justified.
AKIEM 6:57 PM - 10 January, 2016
The cost might be justified. It's the deck which isn't justified - for DJing. Not for vinyl and certainly not for dvs.
05spoof 9:28 PM - 10 January, 2016
Conspiracy theory... all those crazy prices for technics on eBay come from technics posing as sellers. LOL
WarpNote 8:00 AM - 11 January, 2016
Quote:
People pay $2,000 for CDJ's that don't last 3 years. Why isn't anyone mad about that?
Have you been living under a rock the last 10 years? People have been complaining a lot (for good reason) about Pioneer CDJ pricing. And they do actually last a lot more than 3 years, in general...
Gio Alex 12:18 AM - 22 January, 2016
PLX Price bout to go down. LOL

www.digitaldjtips.com

Watchwww.youtube.com
blackavenger 12:53 AM - 22 January, 2016
We don't even know how much the VL12s are gonna' cost. They might be equal to, or even more expensive than the PLXs.
MPC O.G. 1:31 AM - 22 January, 2016
Quote:

www.digitaldjtips.com

Watchwww.youtube.com

MORE HANPINS.......Whatever man.
Gio Alex 1:55 AM - 22 January, 2016
Quote:
We don't even know how much the VL12s are gonna' cost. They might be equal to, or even more expensive than the PLXs.

Quote:
Quote:

www.digitaldjtips.com

Watchwww.youtube.com

MORE HANPINS.......Whatever man.

Ya'll know I'm just trollin right? lol

I just want the price to go down for the hell of it.

Also, We all know Denon will make em less than Pio. That's their whole thing.
AKIEM 2:02 AM - 22 January, 2016
lol@"engineered from the ground up" but looks like a 1200
MPC O.G. 2:05 AM - 22 January, 2016
Quote:

www.hanpin.com.tw

Whatever man......
AKIEM 3:07 AM - 22 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

www.hanpin.com.tw

Whatever man......

I want to see one of these companies come out with "tada - and heres our new branded Hanpin 1200 knock off"
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:36 AM - 22 January, 2016
Quote:

www.digitaldjtips.com

Watchwww.youtube.com

Niro 9:28 AM - 22 January, 2016
I think denon has something in store for the summer. 12" :)
Gio Alex 4:14 PM - 22 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

www.digitaldjtips.com

Watchwww.youtube.com

LOL That's what I'm sayin'
AKIEM 6:41 PM - 22 January, 2016
Quote:
I think denon has something in store for the summer. 12" :)

I will have plenty of hater type comments by then if its not perfect. :)
DJ Irv 1:16 AM - 23 January, 2016
That denon looks like basura.
lumas13 2:18 AM - 30 January, 2016
Guess the hype has died down
Gio Alex 12:08 AM - 1 February, 2016
Quote:
Guess the hype has died down

Well, at 3-4K a pop that's exactly what happens. Technics/Panasonic saw an opportunity to capitalize and sell an expensive "audiophile" turntable using the same model and model name of a turntable that was popularized by DJs and vinyl enthusiast.

I feel like if they wanted to make an audiophile turntable then the shouldn't have used the SL-1200 name and design. It's like an ultimate f*ck you because has it not been for us and many others that turntable wouldn't have sold as well. They least they could've done is release a non-audiophile version rather than exploiting.
HighTopFade 2:59 AM - 4 January, 2017
Fitting article for this thread

www.nytimes.com
lumas13 3:14 AM - 4 January, 2017
Still waiting on that guy to strip one down
HighTopFade 3:24 AM - 4 January, 2017
Here's a pretty good review.

Watchwww.youtube.com
AKIEM 3:47 AM - 4 January, 2017
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

more like - hey watch me scratch
Gio Alex 5:29 PM - 4 January, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

more like - hey watch me scratch

Basically! $3500+ to scratch. I dunno, I'm not gonna say much about it.
John Calipari 7:28 PM - 4 January, 2017
Technics just announced the even newer SL-1200GR at 2017 CES that they say has been tweeked from last years version for improved performance.

www.engadget.com.

Feel Bad for anyone that purchased last year's $4300 model.
Mr. Goodkat 7:49 PM - 4 January, 2017
if you are really into vinyl, its expensive but still a better value than a dj into digital music buying a 2000$ cdj to be a midi controller or mp3 player. will any high end cdj or even xdj unit last 10 yrs(not because of build but because of compatibility to newer tech)?
Gio Alex 8:23 PM - 4 January, 2017
Quote:
if you are really into vinyl, its expensive but still a better value than a dj into digital music buying a 2000$ cdj to be a midi controller or mp3 player. will any high end cdj or even xdj unit last 10 yrs(not because of build but because of compatibility to newer tech)?

You make some very valid points here.
HighTopFade 1:02 AM - 5 January, 2017
1200GR is supposedly more affordable. $2000 USD

gizmodo.com
DJ Irv 2:14 AM - 5 January, 2017
Quote:
1200GR is supposedly more affordable. $2000 USD

They're waiting to see at what price point DJ's jump onboard huh?

Seen the 1200G in action at the Panasonic store in Osaka. I gotta say I've never heard a George Benson sound better than it played out of the Technics demo system in Osaka. Still not buying a 4000$ to play mainly timecode.
John Calipari 1:58 PM - 5 January, 2017
Even if they were Identically priced, I'd take a MK2 Black over every other turntable that has ever been manufactured.
Gio Alex 7:08 PM - 5 January, 2017
Quote:
Even if they were Identically priced, I'd take a MK2 Black over every other turntable that has ever been manufactured.

Basically this. Or 2k for that matter. Would make more sense if ppl were still spinning with wax a lot, but it's mostly dvs.
Gio Alex 7:15 PM - 5 January, 2017
My question for panasonic is, if their intension was not to gear it towards DJs and mostly for hi-fi, then why keep the pitch fader? A feature that was basically introduced with djs in mind. If you look at high-end turntables (most cost double, even triple what this costs) none have a pitch fader/slider.

It's almost like the said hey thanks for making this thing super popular, djs, and now we're gonna be dicks and make it "something else" with a fat price tag but keep the main components that make it a DJ turntable.
HighTopFade 8:34 PM - 5 January, 2017
Some of these audiophiles are serious gear whores. They'll buy a 1200 for their collection just to have a turntable with pitch control. Some songs do sound better faster or slower and their $20k turntable doesn't have that feature.

At what price point would DJs be happy with for a new Technics deck? What more can they downgrade to meet that price point? All I can think of is remove the hinges and use a cheaper plinth. That shouldn't affect the performance at all.
John Calipari 8:44 PM - 5 January, 2017
Quote:
At what price point would DJs be happy with for a new Technics deck?

A new 1200Mk2 was at about $899 in the early 90's. I'd say DJ's expect a PAIR of Technics for $2000 or less. More than $2000, a silent "wait for good deal or get something else" alarm goes off.
Gio Alex 8:50 PM - 5 January, 2017
Quote:
A new 1200Mk2 was at about $899 in the early 90's

Really!? what happened in the early 90s? Because the late 90s to early 2000s I bought a pair new for 400-450 each? Brand new! Where are you getting your numbers from?
Gio Alex 8:52 PM - 5 January, 2017
Quote:
What more can they downgrade to meet that price point?

What more did they even need to upgrade? That's the real question. They only upgraded to meet the price point. Most rich audiophiles aren't buying techs anyway. They're buying some shit where you have to go to a showroom. The tonearm alone is worth the price of the $2000 deck they're selling.

One can bring the argument that hey ppl pay that much or more for one CDJ deck that'll be obsolete in a few years.
HighTopFade 8:59 PM - 5 January, 2017
Quote:
I'd say DJ's expect a PAIR of Technics for $2000 or less. More than $2000, a silent "wait for good deal or get something else" alarm goes off.

At $1000 each, $300 more than the PLX1000, I guess that's reasonable.
Gio Alex 9:03 PM - 5 January, 2017
Quote:
Some songs do sound better faster or slower and their $20k turntable doesn't have that feature.

Yeah, but then you're messing with the pitch of the song, and if you're a "real audiophile" I'd imagine would be a no-no. The original intended recording, eye-roll lol
Mr. Goodkat 9:15 PM - 5 January, 2017
Quote:
A feature that was basically introduced with djs in mind. If you look at high-end turntables (most cost double, even triple what this costs) none have a pitch fader/slider.

i could be wrong but ive never heard pitch was added for djs.
HighTopFade 9:18 PM - 5 January, 2017
Quote:
Yeah, but then you're messing with the pitch of the song, and if you're a "real audiophile" I'd imagine would be a no-no. The original intended recording, eye-roll lol

Be as it may, Technics made the decision to market to a different group and did pretty well selling their first batch of decks. I'm just glad they're back in the game. Maybe they can have a more affordable model when they make their money back.
Mr. Goodkat 9:20 PM - 5 January, 2017
youre basically paying for their new factory from what i read
Gio Alex 9:21 PM - 5 January, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
A feature that was basically introduced with djs in mind. If you look at high-end turntables (most cost double, even triple what this costs) none have a pitch fader/slider.

i could be wrong but ive never heard pitch was added for djs.

I think there was of knob or something that allowed pitch range on the SL 1800MK2 (I could ALSO be wrong here), but from my understanding the whole slider/fader part was suggested by DJs like FLASH. Once again, I could be wrong but I thought this was the case.
HighTopFade 9:23 PM - 5 January, 2017
Quote:
youre basically paying for their new factory from what i read

Precisely. That's why I'm thinking what more they can downgrade to make it more affordable.
Mr. Goodkat 9:23 PM - 5 January, 2017
the orig came out in 72, so i would assume it was in design earlier than that. i dont thin flash came around til a bit after that, so i would seriously doubt he had any design input.

en.wikipedia.org
Gio Alex 9:29 PM - 5 January, 2017
Quote:
the orig came out in 72, so i would assume it was in design earlier than that. i dont thin flash came around til a bit after that, so i would seriously doubt he had any design input.

en.wikipedia.org

That's the MK1. Which did NOT have a pitch fader.

img.usaudiomart.com
Gio Alex 9:29 PM - 5 January, 2017
Quote:

en.wikipedia.org

Also, I said like, which means possibly not literally flash. DJs from that era.
Gio Alex 9:30 PM - 5 January, 2017
From the same wiki link you shared:

"MK2 models
The SL-1200 Mark 2 was introduced in 1979 as an update to the SL-1200. It represented a culmination of Technics "
Gio Alex 9:33 PM - 5 January, 2017
Quote:

en.wikipedia.org

www.google.com

Here's another photo of the MK1. Whether the DJs themselves had any input (I doubt they'll ever credit anyone specifically especially in those days) I have to think that technics did research and realized these were the favored turntables for djs and how can we improve it.
Gio Alex 9:33 PM - 5 January, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

en.wikipedia.org

www.google.com

Here's another photo of the MK1. Whether the DJs themselves had any input (I doubt they'll ever credit anyone specifically especially in those days) I have to think that technics did research and realized these were the favored turntables for djs and how can we improve it.

WOOPS

img.photobucket.com
Detroitbootybass 9:33 PM - 5 January, 2017
Quote:
A new 1200Mk2 was at about $899 in the early 90's.

I bought my pair from PSSL less than $800 (and that included taxes and shipping). Most places were charging $375 - $425 per deck in the early '90s.

I also bought another pair in the late '90s and the price was still the same.
Gio Alex 9:35 PM - 5 January, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I bought my pair from PSSL less than $800 (and that included taxes and shipping). Most places were charging $375 - $425 per deck in the early '90s.

That's what I'm saying! Mine were btwn 400-450 each so I dunno where the hell he got that price from. Mine even came with needles as a package.
HighTopFade 9:36 PM - 5 January, 2017
I believe the 1200GLD retailed for $750 in 2004. Not totally sure though.
Mr. Goodkat 9:48 PM - 5 January, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

en.wikipedia.org

www.google.com

yeah, i thought the pic was an sl1200 mk1. even in 78 i wouldnt think there would have been a ton of djs using pitch for mixing, but who knows.
Gio Alex 9:50 PM - 5 January, 2017
Quote:
yeah, i thought the pic was an sl1200 mk1. even in 78 i wouldnt think there would have been a ton of djs using pitch for mixing, but who knows.

They were, what I'm saying is there wasn't the FADER or SLIDER still. It was a knob. I think you're missing key details in what I'm writing saying LOL
Mr. Goodkat 10:28 PM - 5 January, 2017
i see what you are saying now.

i had one of the lesser techs before djing with a pitch control knob/button on the right.

that pic doesnt show the left side where the pitch control was.

i still dont think in 78 there were many dj's that did more than play record to record without pitch control. maybe a few in big markets but the number had to be maybe in the 100s, which would not warrant technics to build around that market. they never really supported the dj scene in the early years anyway, especially that dj era early years 70's/80s.
Gio Alex 10:36 PM - 5 January, 2017
Quote:

i still dont think in 78 there were many dj's that did more than play record to record without pitch control. maybe a few in big markets but the number had to be maybe in the 100s, which would not warrant technics to build around that market. they never really supported the dj scene in the early years anyway, especially that dj era early years 70's/80s.

I can understand this and your point, but you have to remember the whole entire scene was new and had a lot of potential boom. So I can see a company taking notes and making improvements. Think about how much influence hip hop now has in marketing, sales and all of that. Generally the earlier the better right? Just a thought, I'm not necessarily saying this is exactly what happened, but I believe it is.
Mr. Goodkat 10:57 PM - 5 January, 2017
i see what you are saying, but maybe 10 years later.

you have to think the r&d for a product in 78 would have been from maybe 76-78 in Japan.

that era still had lounge bands in holiday inns and live music was pretty much the standard throughout the world. Even in the U.S. when hip hop hit with Rappers Delight, it was more of one off disco/dance record than a Hip Hop record since there was no Hip Hop scene.

Of course in some places you had the caribbean influence of sound system culture and the scene was starting to develop, but im not sure how much Japan would have been influenced in that era. Pre internet it took along time for things to travel.

buuutttt, i did google search it and this came up daily.redbullmusicacademy.com ,

which is pretty damn interesting but it does discuss beatmatching, or at least on beat mixing, which clearly was a thing in nyc around 75 ish. However NYC, IMO, is like a different country since its such an innovative place, or used to be, but especially in that 70s era.

daily.redbullmusicacademy.com
Gio Alex 1:38 AM - 6 January, 2017
Quote:
i see what you are saying, but maybe 10 years later.

you have to think the r&d for a product in 78 would have been from maybe 76-78 in Japan.

that era still had lounge bands in holiday inns and live music was pretty much the standard throughout the world. Even in the U.S. when hip hop hit with Rappers Delight, it was more of one off disco/dance record than a Hip Hop record since there was no Hip Hop scene.

Of course in some places you had the caribbean influence of sound system culture and the scene was starting to develop, but im not sure how much Japan would have been influenced in that era. Pre internet it took along time for things to travel.

buuutttt, i did google search it and this came up daily.redbullmusicacademy.com ,

which is pretty damn interesting but it does discuss beatmatching, or at least on beat mixing, which clearly was a thing in nyc around 75 ish. However NYC, IMO, is like a different country since its such an innovative place, or used to be, but especially in that 70s era.

daily.redbullmusicacademy.com

Pretty interesting read so far. Gotta finish reading.

Wiki could be wrong but from the link you sent it stated this, "Variable pitch control, allowing the rotational speed to be adjusted from -8% to +8% (for the purpose of beatmatching)."
AKIEM 1:40 AM - 6 January, 2017
pitch control - def not for beatmatching
Gio Alex 1:58 AM - 6 January, 2017
Quote:

I hear you on that, but why'd they change it to a fader style though on the MK2?
AKIEM 4:05 AM - 6 January, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I hear you on that, but why'd they change it to a fader style though on the MK2?

And thats a good question. I dont know.

However, I doubt DJs influenced the design in any way. (gut feeling) I just dont think DJs, in particular beatmatching DJs were all that influential at the time. There certainly wernt very many of them compared to Hi Fi consumers (reverse of today)

And Im not sure what advantage the DJ gets out of a fader that the HiFi user doesnt get as well.
HighTopFade 4:47 AM - 6 January, 2017
Maybe it was influenced by broadcast DJs. They would know exactly how much faster music was playing without looking at the strobe.
Mr. Goodkat 5:44 AM - 6 January, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And thats a good question. I dont know.

However, I doubt DJs influenced the design in any way. (gut feeling) I just dont think DJs, in particular beatmatching DJs were all that influential at the time. There certainly wernt very many of them compared to Hi Fi consumers (reverse of today)

And Im not sure what advantage the DJ gets out of a fader that the HiFi user doesnt get as well.

i kinda thought that about beatmatching djs, but i think for the top notch nyc djs it definately was a thing, that redbull walter gibbons article i posted did mention jellybean benitez(clearly not everyone was on his level, since he became a legend) but still i guess there were a few influential.

that article is actually a really good piece of dj history. i like the club he played that shot poppers everwhere and the people dancing would make everyone high. 70s were so ill. also the club that opened for 4 for people that worked in bars and clubs and nightshift folks.
John Calipari 1:27 PM - 6 January, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's what I'm saying! Mine were btwn 400-450 each so I dunno where the hell he got that price from. Mine even came with needles as a package.

What year did PSSL open and start distributing catalogs nationwide?
DJ Quartz 3:25 PM - 6 January, 2017
The 1200GR looks nice and everything but that price is outrageous.
kip 3:54 PM - 6 January, 2017
A turntable with such characteristics can hardly be cheaper. If all you want from a tt is scratching ability then that's another story.
DJ Quartz 4:28 PM - 6 January, 2017
If you're spinning with vinyl or have a hi-fi system then maybe.

And even if you're spinning with vinyl. Your play copies are going to get noisy anyway.
DJ Quartz 4:31 PM - 6 January, 2017
I know one thing is I would like the red strobe back on decks without modding.
DjWoody 7:22 PM - 6 January, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What year did PSSL open and start distributing catalogs nationwide?

I bought mine 1210's from ProSound for $350 each around 1997-1998.
HighTopFade 10:13 PM - 6 January, 2017
Quote:
A turntable with such characteristics can hardly be cheaper.

Agree. Especially if it's made in Japan.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:03 AM - 7 January, 2017
Turntables with a pitch control, (by Technics at least), were made from 1975 ON.

Of course during this time was Disco's heyday, so SOMEBODY said SOMETHING to SOMEONE regarding having the ability to adjust the pitch in my best guess.

Technics was also releasing multiple models within a single year as well, so they were catering to someone...Us DJ's.

There was no real need for your average homeowner to have a pitch control.

Then again, that orange/red strobe was REAL COOL to look at, so maybe that was an attraction to home enthusiasts.

I know I wanted that light, but I wanted to be a DJ as well.

They mixed for YEARS using rotary knobs, but I think the introduction of the slide in 1979 on the MKII might have been just a better attempt at controlling speed while staying Quartz locked.

That's my best guess.

Technics knows what they're doing. Dangle some fruit, and see who bites.

I PERSONALLY won't say vinyl is really coming back until I see someone open a brand new record store, not just put records in existing spots.

Oh, and I bought my 1200's in 1985. 300.00 apiece, when they thought me saying "Hey let me buy 2 for 500.00" was them getting OVER on me.....lol.

We needed 2.
AKIEM 5:00 AM - 7 January, 2017
Mr. Goodkat 6:01 AM - 7 January, 2017
this was my favorite www.jeff-young-design.com
AKIEM 10:38 PM - 7 January, 2017
Quote:

yeah, thats actually the one I was looking for. Forgot it was a JVC.
High speed dubbing sounded terrible
I had 3 of those.
DJ Quartz 11:20 PM - 7 January, 2017
Some old school casette decks. :)
Detroitbootybass 12:54 AM - 8 January, 2017
Turntable pitch control was first introduced in the late 1950s on the Swiss-made Thorens TD-124. The ability to adjust pitch was important in transcription/broadcast applications because early music wasn't recorded at standardized speeds like now. Different companies had their own 'proprietary' speeds that their music was to be played back at.

Ever hear an 'old-timey' pre-war song (maybe in a black-and-white documentary or school film) and it sounded either too fast or too slow? That is because the playback speed didn't match the intended speed of the original recording (likely because it was put on a modern turntable with only 33 1/3 and 45 RPM settings). Shellac discs play at different variable speeds - some even past 80 RPM. And 16 RPM discs were common through WWII until the '60s (mainly for audio content).

Some Victrolas, gramophones, and phonographs likely could also had some crude type of adjustability to the pitch simply because of the lack of standardization in playback speed. But information on those devices is decidedly outside of my wheelhouse.
blackavenger 3:39 AM - 8 January, 2017
Quote:

I've still got mine....

imgur.com
Taipanic 3:15 PM - 9 January, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I had 3 of those.

Still have one in storage somewhere...
DJ GaFFle 5:38 PM - 9 January, 2017
Here's my unit type: pcbunn.cd3.caltech.edu

It's been buried in storage and I can't wait till I have to dig it out.
DJ Quartz 7:13 PM - 9 January, 2017
The 505! Anyone have a Dragon?
DJ GaFFle 8:45 PM - 9 January, 2017
Quote:

I use to wish for one of those but when I saw the flip in/out feature on my player, I was hooked.
Taipanic 3:34 PM - 10 January, 2017
I used to have one of these too:

vintage-audio-laser.com
Taipanic 3:37 PM - 10 January, 2017
At one point I was using turntables, reel-reel, cassette, CD & Minidisc in my club DJ booth - all with pitch control.
DJ Quartz 3:46 PM - 10 January, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I use to wish for one of those but when I saw the flip in/out feature on my player, I was hooked.

Yeah it's cool, I have a friend that has one.
Mr. Goodkat 12:20 AM - 11 January, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I had 3 of those.

i had one in the height of the dj Screw days, like 97-98ish and i had a drug dealer buy it on the spot from me for 400$. i think they were around 250$ so i went and just bought another one
DJ Quartz 6:36 PM - 11 January, 2017
Alright....

I have a 1200MK5 for my ripping station that I got from an auction over a year ago because I wanted to have it as a collector item since it was the silver model and got it CHEAP!

The only other Technics model I will ever consider getting again are the M5G's.

After reading some the mess in the articles, we're problematic so I say someone else can have the problem of getting my funds.