DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Speaker stand scrim: what do you think?

The Silver Boombox Thief 6:11 AM - 23 December, 2015
I'm looking to up my visual game for weddings and bridal shows. I'm thinking about getting scrim for my stands.

Anyone have experience with it and do you see a return and or like it?
White looks like it would get dirty too easy. Can black get a similar glow effect?
Does the white stand up to machine washings?

thanks and happy New Year!
DJ GaFFle 3:33 PM - 23 December, 2015
I own a pair of speaker stand scrims but I rarely use them. I'm really not a fan because it always looks like you're overdoing it.

Don't be this DJ: www.djchrisplankey.com
DJ Tracktion 5:44 PM - 23 December, 2015
Hate the look of those.

Get a big enough frontboard/facade that can wrap around the stands as well or fly them from truss or always use subs.

This is entirely your preference though and maybe feedback from clients will help.
slimmjimm 11:19 PM - 23 December, 2015
You'll bring more attention to your stands with big sheets hanging off of them then you would with some well taken care of stands.

Some brides my like them, but I would never purchase them of my own free will.
southernplayalisticaddilacmuzik 8:06 AM - 24 December, 2015
It really all depends on the type of weddings you're doing and how much you charge. I would never do a "high end" wedding without scrims. The couple and their family spend approximately $25k on a wedding, which includes making the room look nice. Nobody wants to see the DJ stick out like a sore thumb with wires everywhere. Honestly I use scrims every time. Just don't go with all white. Black looks much classier.
DJ GaFFle 3:55 PM - 25 December, 2015
Quote:
...Nobody wants to see the DJ stick out like a sore thumb with wires everywhere. .

Which is why I said don't be this www.djchrisplankey.com guy. Nobody wants to see a homage to Casper the Friendly Ghost dominating every photo during the reception.

Basically, a lit up facade is all one needs to hide unsightly wires. It's a DJ's job to be neat and tie down wires coming from a speaker through a tripod stand. Some DJ's have wider facades to hide the speaker stands which is a good look too. wwcdn.weddingwire.com
southernplayalisticaddilacmuzik 4:02 PM - 25 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
...Nobody wants to see the DJ stick out like a sore thumb with wires everywhere. .

Which is why I said don't be this www.djchrisplankey.com guy. Nobody wants to see a homage to Casper the Friendly Ghost dominating every photo during the reception.

Basically, a lit up facade is all one needs to hide unsightly wires. It's a DJ's job to be neat and tie down wires coming from a speaker through a tripod stand. Some DJ's have wider facades to hide the speaker stands which is a good look too. wwcdn.weddingwire.com

Haha @ Casper the ghost. Looked like marshmallow land. Lol! I would say do 2 black and 2 white. Personally the only reason I don't like the facade is because it hides part of what differentiates me from MOST wedding DJs, which is the Technics. Not a huge deal but they are conversation starters almost every time. Anyways, as long as the setup looks clean/classy, everybody wins. Too many guys in my area literally don't even wrap wires around the pole to connect to the speaker. SMH
 6 4:27 PM - 25 December, 2015
I agree with southern.... The facade definitely does hide what is also important to me (turntables) and many people who hire me want that look - but yes, you have to be extremely neat with cables, etc.

The way I set up at a wedding is never the same as the way I set up at a club or bar.

That picture of all those scrims looks horrible. Definitely not classy.

nm
deezlee 10:05 PM - 25 December, 2015
Yup I keep a clean setup manage wires etc but I'm not hiding the tables and vinyl behind a facade. I think unscratched speaker stands with managed wires looks better then a scrim.
 6 10:27 PM - 25 December, 2015
Quote:
I think unscratched speaker stands with managed wires looks better then a scrim.

I agree.

nm
southernplayalisticaddilacmuzik 11:35 PM - 25 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
I think unscratched speaker stands with managed wires looks better then a scrim.

I agree.

nm

I personally like the no scrim look. But my couples like the scrim look. And since it's their show, they get scrims. This is why I really like when couples book my truss towers and moving heads. Best look by far.
DJ GaFFle 7:27 PM - 26 December, 2015
Quote:

...Lol! I would say do 2 black and 2 white...

Ehh... are you sure? www.streetwisesales.com

This DJ stopped off at a Klan rally before his gig: www.amazingear.com

More sillyness: www.djsuperstore.com

www.123dj.com

Quote:
I agree with southern.... The facade definitely does hide what is also important to me (turntables) and many people who hire me want that look - but yes, you have to be extremely neat with cables, etc...

TT's... no doubt. I trained a female DJ who gets tons of gigs simply because she uses turntables. (her skills and looks help too) Because I'm focused on get-in-get-out, I use a controller + facade at most mobile gigs unless it's a Hip-Hop or get-busy oriented event; at that point, NO facade makes a lot of sense.
southernplayalisticaddilacmuzik 8:08 PM - 26 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
...Lol! I would say do 2 black and 2 white...

Ehh... are you sure? www.streetwisesales.com

More sillyness: www.djsuperstore.com

www.123dj.com

Quote:
I agree with southern.... The facade definitely does hide what is also important to me (turntables) and many people who hire me want that look - but yes, you have to be extremely neat with cables, etc...

TT's... no doubt. I trained a female DJ who gets tons of gigs simply because she uses turntables. (her skills and looks help too) Because I'm focused on get-in-get-out, I use a controller + facade at most mobile gigs unless it's a Hip-Hop or get-busy oriented event; at that point, NO facade makes a lot of sense.

My wife is one of my 5 DJs and she uses a SX2. Teaching her on TTs now just for that same reason you mentioned. Definitely is a factor in booking her.

I'm glad this topic was brought up because I don't necessarily love the scrim look, but when it's scrim vs bare, it's pick your poison and I'd rather go with the cleaner look. That's my opinion though. Any other options other than bare vs scrim?
djsmuve415 9:38 PM - 26 December, 2015
Quote:
Any other options other than bare vs scrim?

I'm not a mobile DJ per say, but I have done a couple of high end weddings as a favor to friends - and I personally think the scrims are not that bad of an idea for a high end wedding. Lets be honest here - most DJ gear is not that attractive and eye pleasing to look at, especially speaker stands and cables. So if there is something you can do to give it an esthetically cleaner look to match the surrounding environment, then I'm all for it. Can it be over done? - like anything in this world, yes it can. just need common sense and know how to be editorial. Plus - if you are doing high end weddings and events, and its a known option to both couples and wedding coordinators, then I think you should have some on hand. just my 2 cents.
 6 3:22 AM - 27 December, 2015
Good point. The customer may want them even if you hate them. lol

nm
DJMark 5:03 AM - 27 December, 2015
Quote:

Truss looks like it's seriously overloaded, I'd be a little more worried about that than bare speaker stands.
WarpNote 8:54 AM - 27 December, 2015
Personally, I like the "bare" look, I even like a bit of cables.
I dont really do much weddings anymore, but I do some 40s and 50s birthdays/anniversaries. Mid- to highend conservative customers that want a clean look. I never bring a scrim, just a white and/or black table cloth. I like to show the clients whats going on behind the decks or CDJs as its normally great conversation. I just try to manage my cables neatly at those gigs.

That said though, I'm kinda moving out of the mobile game, and staying with clubs + artist booking/promo.
southernplayalisticaddilacmuzik 7:34 PM - 27 December, 2015
Yeah i would say only scrim look for weddings and corporate events. Rarely for a club/private party.

I think I might have an answer to avoid the scrim overkill. Maybe go scrim on 2 poles and then this skirt on the other 1 or 2 poles. I think this is what I'm going to start doing. I've always done black scrims even when I've had 4 poles up(2 for speakers, 2 for lights) but it always did feel like too many scrims. Black at least looks way better than white, IMO. Here's the other option:

www.djskirts.com
The Silver Boombox Thief 7:51 PM - 28 December, 2015
I wish a majority of my clients were down with TT's, but they aren't. I do get some wedding gigs from dj'ing parties that want a "real dj", but most of the time no one cares except for an old dude that wants to discuss the soul of vinyl or can't understand SSL and just stares at me for 20 minutes. I'm straight controller for 90% of my wedding gigs and 100% TT's for parties.

So here is what I decided on:

My wife just bought me a nice table top facade for xmas so I'm going to add:
2 white speaker stand scrims with up lights
Table Scrim with up light or light bar
White trade show drape so I can show off some up lighting and stand out a little at our upcoming show. They only supply black back drop

And I'm going to rent, (if possible) or buy 2x round bar tables at 42 inch height so it opens my booth up a bit vs. a banquet table and to speed along the conversations. I hate getting locked into a 45 minute sit down discussion as 10 potential clients walk past. The goal is short conversations with a follow up appt later.

I'll post up some pics after the show, (Jan 10).

Thanks for the comments.
Dj Shamann 4:15 PM - 29 December, 2015
Quote:
Don't be this DJ: www.djchrisplankey.com

Quote:

HAHA!

I've seen some scrims in the Serato setup thread that look really tasteful. More like a facade in front, speaker on the outside with lighting underneath the white. But what you just posted is ridiculous.

Quote:
Personally the only reason I don't like the facade is because it hides part of what differentiates me from MOST wedding DJs, which is the Technics.

Quote:
I agree with southern.... The facade definitely does hide what is also important to me (turntables) and many people who hire me want that look

I've actually had a client ask that I put it in the contract that I'll be using Technics 1200s. I assured her that I don't use anything else anyway so it's not necessary but she said she was "stoked" that I was going to play in front of her friends using turntables.

So I agree, but I've also had a wedding planner ask me about the facade, saying she's seen some pretty fucked up setups before. At the end of the day it's up to the client, but that doesn't mean that we can't come up with our own tasteful look and guide them in that direction.

Quote:

C'mon dude, you're on grass for fuck sakes LOL!!

HAHA!
Dj Shamann 4:34 PM - 29 December, 2015
These guys are friends of mine, they have done scrim set ups too, but mostly I see them post different set ups like this, where the DJ table has a nice look and the speakers are off to the side, or just not noticed because the focus is elsewhere.

Trade show: scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net

(granted ther wires could've been tighter, but speakers are speakers and don't look bad off to the side like that)

Corporate: scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net

I don't think these scrim set ups are too bad either. The second one definitely benefits from scrims.

Wedding: scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net

Sorry, just interested in the convo since i want to make a push for more mobile events in 2016.
DJ GaFFle 6:11 PM - 29 December, 2015
Quote:
These guys are friends of mine, they have done scrim set ups too, but mostly I see them post different set ups like this, where the DJ table has a nice look and the speakers are off to the side, or just not noticed because the focus is elsewhere.

Trade show: scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net

Now THIS is how I would roll. I'm not a fan of his 10ft. totem truss (6.5' will do) but the facade, uplights and movers look is overall, the best for a mobile jock IMO. And yes, those speaker wires were unnecessarily sloppy but this setup gets a huge thumbs up in my book.
Joee 7:12 PM - 29 December, 2015
Quote:
I don't think these scrim set ups are too bad either. The second one definitely benefits from scrims.

+1

i think it can be done as long as you do it right, here is one i think looks good also first one on the left with the white facade

www.pinterest.com
 6 7:57 PM - 30 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

+1

i think it can be done as long as you do it right, here is one i think looks good also first one on the left with the white facade

www.pinterest.com

Unless you're having lighting under those speaker scrims, I think painting your speaker stands white would be a better look.

nm
 6 7:58 PM - 30 December, 2015
Btw, for weddings and certain corporate events, white speakers would also be ideal.

nm
Joee 8:01 PM - 30 December, 2015
Quote:
Btw, for weddings and certain corporate events, white speakers would also be ideal.

nm

never thought about that , with good wire management it should look nice
DJSuchNSuch 1:28 AM - 23 March, 2016
I've been DJing clubs since the late 90's and now I'm in the mobile bizz. I can assure you that most couple are anxious to see pictures of your setups at previous weddings. I always show them pictures with scrim and without. I let the couple chose. It gives them multiple options. If you are to cheap to invest in this, you need to get out of the mobile DJ business! As for TT's, I'm pushing 40 and do not want to hassle with all that crap anymore. In the 90's I only used 1200's to DJ clubs. I use all digital thumb drives. My body can't handle hauling crates full of vinyl anymore...lol. Bottom line, you better be able to offer multiple setups depending on the gig or venue. Invest the money.
pdidy 2:31 AM - 23 March, 2016
Quote:
I always show them pictures with scrim and without. I let the couple chose. It gives them multiple options. If you are to cheap to invest in this, you need to get out of the mobile DJ business!

c'mon, is it really that serious ? lol
pdidy 2:42 AM - 23 March, 2016
www.djchrisplankey.com
I think there may be at 2 skrim limit before it looks tacky.
4 can work only if they are widely spaced apart as that will dilute the cheesiness.
Al Poulin 3:03 AM - 23 March, 2016
Athough it may not be optimal sound wise, I prefer to use my subs as the speaker stands. It simply looks better IMO and removes the tripping hazard that stands represent. My little DXR8s over DXS12 subs work perfectly for small weddings and look good too. I can't stand the look of scrims personally...

Al
Good3go85 6:56 AM - 23 March, 2016
One pair black ones only for me.
Logisticalstyles 12:51 PM - 23 March, 2016
Quote:
Athough it may not be optimal sound wise, I prefer to use my subs as the speaker stands. It simply looks better IMO and removes the tripping hazard that stands represent. My little DXR8s over DXS12 subs work perfectly for small weddings and look good too. I can't stand the look of scrims personally...

same here.
pdidy 6:12 PM - 24 March, 2016
Quote:
As a hire company we recommend you to use white color scrims

Can we see some actual photos of your various set ups or was that just a shameless promotional opportunity ?
DJ Val-BKNY11203 5:00 AM - 26 March, 2016
Quote:
www.djchrisplankey.com
I think there may be at 2 skrim limit before it looks tacky.
4 can work only if they are widely spaced apart as that will dilute the cheesiness.

Looks like a Klan rally.
DJMeek334 8:31 AM - 3 April, 2017
Scrims are for the client, not for the DJ. Clients love scrims, when used correctly.
MAx_da1 6:12 AM - 20 December, 2018
Hello
I've seen an excellent review about speakers
Please, veriy
May be, it will be suitable for you
musiety.com