DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Can't figure out how to use Dropbox as Backup ONLY

djbeatsent 2:21 AM - 26 September, 2015
I have 500 gigs of music on my computer that I want to backup, and I have 750 gigs total. I want to BACKUP my music folder....but when I try to copy and paste, it duplicates the files locally and I don't have enough space.

I really don't think it is a good idea to move my entire music library into the Dropbox folder to work out of...

WHAT DO I DO??!?!?!?!?
pdidy 4:29 AM - 26 September, 2015
Goto.... Dropbox > preferences > account > selective sync - change settings > Uncheck your backup music folder or any folder you don't want to duplicate locally......

Ya welcome.
djbeatsent 2:19 PM - 26 September, 2015
That doesn't work. If I uncheck the folder, then I can't put my music in it....and the online upload tool only allows 3000 files at a time...
WarpNote 2:40 PM - 26 September, 2015
Personally, I'm not sold on using Dropbox as a backup solution. The whole sync idea, not to mention, it's slow and cumbersome. I do have a 1TB account, but I only use it for sharing documents.

For music backup I run 2 separate external drives. One of them is an SSD, to keep it quick and painless. Leave one at the office, the other at home. I use CarbonCopy for the actual backup process.
pdidy 3:44 PM - 26 September, 2015
Quote:
That doesn't work. If I uncheck the folder, then I can't put my music in it....and the online upload tool only allows 3000 files at a time...

Temporarily place all music on external drive, upload to dropbox, Uncheck your backup music folder, return all music to original location.

Or simply use another computer with adequate space to upload. Dropbox can be linked to multiple computers.
WarpNote 5:01 PM - 26 September, 2015
Quote:
Temporarily place all music on external drive, upload to dropbox, Uncheck your backup music folder, return all music to original location.

Or simply use another computer with adequate space to upload. Dropbox can be linked to multiple computers.

EXACTLY what I mean by:
Quote:
it's slow and cumbersome.
djnak 6:53 PM - 26 September, 2015
Quote:
For music backup I run 2 separate external drives.

THIS and
Quote:
Leave one at the office, the other at home

THIS ...

If my gig drive went bad , and my house also burnt down ...I would lose maybe a couple weeks of music max... It seems like a lot of extra work sometimes but I will NEVER be that dude that lost all his music...
 6 8:18 PM - 26 September, 2015
Definitely have an offsite backup. Trust me. I know. lol

And, any kind of cloud backup isn't a good solution... Yet

nm
djvtyme85 8:54 PM - 26 September, 2015
i keep drives at my folks house for this very reason. that way god forbid the worst happen all my music is safe.
Taipanic 2:31 PM - 28 September, 2015
Just got a 5T Mirrored RAID backup for the studio. Now begins the cumbersome job of cleaning up the collection. This will eventually free up 10 smaller externals to be used for additional backups and specific libraries (House only, Rekordbox only, Video only, etc...)
 6 3:54 PM - 28 September, 2015
Breaking content into specific libraries never made sense to me. Just more work if you think about it. Then, you have to back up individually. Lots of time wasted. You're not really benefiting (IMO) from having lots of externals vs one big one that can be duplicated with smart copy.

nm
 6 3:54 PM - 28 September, 2015

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:22 PM - 28 September, 2015
lmao @ your "Manuel" labor....
DJ Remix Detroit 9:15 PM - 29 September, 2015
if you have a mac, install a 2nd HD in the cd slot and dedicate that entire drive to dropbox. put all of your music in there. back that hard drive up to a local ext. drive as well.