Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

iTunes 12.2

Joe Fresh 12:26 AM - 2 July, 2015
Some interesting things that I noticed in Serato DJ 1.7.6 (and Scratch Live 2.5) after updating to iTunes 12.2 --

- iTunes playlists are now not collapsible
- Mobile applications in iTunes now appear in the Serato library with yellow warning icons next to them
- If you disable the new setting in iTunes' advanced preferences "Share iTunes Library XML with other applications", the iTunes library will not load in Serato DJ, even with "Show iTunes Library" enabled in Serato's Setup

Just a heads up to all DJs who use iTunes with Serato DJ.
DJ Tecoy 3:53 AM - 2 July, 2015
I just loaded mine and I also see that. How annoying. Ugh! Don't need my books or apps showing up.

Guess it time to move all that to another computer.
cheekyme 9:01 AM - 2 July, 2015
Hi

This has been a slight annoyance for a while now!! Moving all the content from playlists/crates that are not relevant will make no difference. They still show up.

I have a thread that discusses this in feature suggestion section.

serato.com

However, it is now even worse due to 12.2. :(
boabmatic 11:19 AM - 2 July, 2015
you could use 2 itunes libraries ... one with only your gig tunes and the other with all your other media?

support.apple.com
cheekyme 1:46 PM - 2 July, 2015
Hi

I do have 2 libraries, however all of the 'empty' media types still show up!! :(
HoustDark4Life 5:42 PM - 2 July, 2015
Okay, so I did the same thing and I found a work around. You WILL have to roll back to iTunes 12.1.2 (or whatever version you were using before 12.2.)

What you'll need:
1) Time Machine (or manual) backup of you iTunes music library files (before they were updated to 12.2) grab these files:
Mac H D>User>Music>iTunes Library.xml
Mac H D>User>Music>iTunes Music Library.xml

2) You'll need a 2nd macbook (both with thunderbolt of firewire)(note: you will need authorization password)

Process:
1) Reboot (main) macbook into Target Disk Mode (hold T white boot chime)

2) connect to second mac

3) copy over iTunes 12.1.2 or your target mac (or delete target iTunes and install with DMG)

4) restart target mac
*You'll notice your iTunes icon will go back to the redish icon. If you try to open iTunes it'll inform you your library was made with newer version.*

*Make sure iTunes and serrate are not open*

5) delete current [iTunes Library.xml] & [iTunes Music Library.xml] files (you should zip/archive before doing this in case it doesn't work.)

6) replace with versions of the two files from your time machine/backup.

7)SHOULD work.It worked for me.
DJ Snake Eyez 9:47 PM - 2 July, 2015
This issue has presented a huge problem for me. Not to mention, it is very annoying. Serato can you please fix this issue as soon as possible. I am a very busy DJ in the industry and this cuts into my work and search time for my music. Please reinstate the collapsible folders.
Serato, Support
Jamie W 9:49 PM - 2 July, 2015
Hey Guys,

The issue has been reported and is logged for our developers to look into.
We do hope to address it in a future release of Serato DJ. For now please hold tight!

Thanks
Jamie
cheekyme 9:52 PM - 2 July, 2015
this isn't a fault of Serato.

SDJ just uses the .xml file provided by iTunes. In my post I suggest a workaround/feature request to keep everyone happy and protect against future updates of iTunes.

it seems this latest update has further fuelled the fire. :(
Marcos B. 12:34 AM - 3 July, 2015
Same problem here, i play professionally almost every night, and now it was much more difficult to locate the tracks. please solve this problem as soon as possible. Grateful
somanystyles 3:06 AM - 3 July, 2015
Itunes updated for me automatically and I'm screwed. I can't find a version itunes 12.1 anywhere to download for my MacBook. I want to revert. It's a new fairly new macbook, so I'm thinking of resetting factory settings and starting from previous library. Unfortunately I didn't have Time Machine set up. I like to back up to a hard drive myself.
DJ CAPRO 7:34 PM - 3 July, 2015
I managed to downgrade luckily after realizing my iTunes libraries which are on an external drive could not be read at all. You will need a previous .itl (iTunes Library) file, luckily it made a backup for me a few days ago when I upgraded. Backups are in the "Previous iTunes Libraries" folder in your iTunes folder.

I followed these steps:

Backup everything first (apps and .itl library files)

Get the previous version of iTunes (copied it from my work laptop... Apple lets you download earlier versions but not the last one 12.1.2 on Mac)

Get AppZapper (it's free for trial, you have to allow deleting of Apple software in the prefs)

Drag iTunes 12.2 onto AppZapper and it gets rid of it with associated preference files

Now replace the current .itl file with the older one from before the upgrade.

All you need to do after that is re-import some music, which is easy if you sort your iTunes music by Date Modified
Joe Fresh 7:46 PM - 3 July, 2015
Digital DJ Tips discussed some other problems with iTunes 12.2 for DJs, specifically if you enable the iCloud Music Library.

www.digitaldjtips.com

Long story short, if you import your iTunes library into Serato, do not use iCloud Music Library. If you extensively use iTunes playlists instead of Serato crates, avoid updating to 12.2 until Serato updates SDJ to work with the new XML.
SupaSandeep 7:55 PM - 3 July, 2015
FYI (and don't kill me for this) but Traktor works totally fine with the new iTunes changes, I'm pretty confident that Serato can fix these problems.
Joe Fresh 8:03 PM - 3 July, 2015
Quote:
FYI (and don't kill me for this) but Traktor works totally fine with the new iTunes changes, I'm pretty confident that Serato can fix these problems.

Interesting. Does Traktor import non-music from iTunes (mobile apps)?
Dj Nyce 8:42 PM - 3 July, 2015
mine auto updated. the extra media playlists are annoying and some even show up twice. but my apple scripts still work and my smart as hell smart playlists still show up in sdj. i can't collapse them, but they are still there. i'm a happy camper.
Musically Minded 9:05 PM - 3 July, 2015
ipsw.me

check out this site for older version of itunes if your interested in downgrading might be someones saving grace!
maarawoe 9:33 PM - 3 July, 2015
Mine auto updated....-now is 1.7.5 and 1.7.6 crashing immediately after the start :-(
maarawoe 10:36 PM - 3 July, 2015
Funny - the old SL is not having any issues at all.....
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 11:30 PM - 3 July, 2015
Hey maarawoe,

This isn't something we have seen in house or heard of regarding the new OSX/iTunes update, I would recommend opening a help ticket with our support team to help work that out here; support.serato.com

For everybody else hold tight and we will address these iTunes woes in a future release!

If anybody else is having crashing or instability since upgrading please drop our support team a ticket too - support.serato.com

Thanks all!

J
maarawoe 6:21 AM - 4 July, 2015
I already opened a ticket containing the crash error stack yesterday.
Interresting is that this never happend before the yesterdays updates pushed to my computer (itunes, safari, efi, sec updates).
Since that I can't start in offline mode at all (I even can't read the message in the status bar to see what is doing) and with the sl3 connected, its stuck on "loading crates" and vrashes few seconds after (of course the library is empty that moment and ther are no crates or tracks..
Really really weird and scary...
SupaSandeep 7:18 AM - 4 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Interesting. Does Traktor import non-music from iTunes (mobile apps)?

no, just music
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 9:25 AM - 4 July, 2015
Quote:
I already opened a ticket containing the crash error stack yesterday.

Great thanks man, support will work through the problem with you :)
Joe Fresh 11:32 PM - 6 July, 2015
For the record, I'm done importing iTunes into Serato. I've checked and unchecked that 'read iTunes library' option back and forth over the years, but it's just caused too many problems for me, especially now. For the time being, I'll continue to use iTunes to add new tracks and keep the files organized, but even that might change (I haven't activated Apple Music).
Serato crates and smart crates only from now on.

Btw Digital DJ Tips posted a great article today further explaining the iTunes issues and some alternatives for organizing your DJ collection - www.digitaldjtips.com
nyd 12:50 AM - 7 July, 2015
anyone that has upgraded and noticed all the issues - i.e. playlists not collapsing within the hierachy etc - can you guys still dj normally with the layout like that or are there any other issues with the connection to itunes?
Joe Fresh 1:04 AM - 7 July, 2015
Quote:
anyone that has upgraded and noticed all the issues - i.e. playlists not collapsing within the hierachy etc - can you guys still dj normally with the layout like that or are there any other issues with the connection to itunes?

If you just use iTunes to import all your music, but you use Serato crates for organizing, you probably won't notice any difference. If you don't use iTunes playlist folders, or you use them and always have all the folders expanded, then the fact that you can't collapse them may not bother you. However if you have mobile apps in iTunes, they now get imported into Serato.

The bigger issue is with Apple Music, which apparently messes with metadata tags and can lock your tracks with DRM, making them unplayable in Serato.

More info about that on djtechtools.com, who actually mentioned this forum thread :)

You can use iTunes 12.2 and not use Apple Music, and when Serato releases an update to fix the playlists collapsing issue and other iTunes-related problems, everything should work as it did before.
Col1990 2:59 AM - 7 July, 2015
Quote:
The bigger issue is with Apple Music, which apparently messes with metadata tags and can lock your tracks with DRM, making them unplayable in Serato.

Does this happen even if you use iTunes just to edit tags?
Joe Fresh 3:09 AM - 7 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

From what I've read, it only happens if you activate Apple Music's iCloud Music Library, which is a feature in iTunes 12.2.
Col1990 3:10 AM - 7 July, 2015
I did that on launch by accident not knowing what it was lol disabled it and I haven't played all my tracks but seems ok so far
DJ RaGu 3:25 AM - 7 July, 2015
Just updated my iTunes to 12.2 and serato dj is crashing all of the sudden. I have to use SSL for the time being since it seems to be working like a charm but I would like to be able to use Serato DJ. Any ideas?
boabmatic 8:08 AM - 7 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

From what I've read, it only happens if you activate Apple Music's iCloud Music Library, which is a feature in iTunes 12.2.

from what I've read the I think the issue is that if you upload your music to the iCloud music library it will make DRM's versions of it (doesn't DRM the local files) but if you then delete/loose all your local music and then try to pull the files back down from iCloud these will be DRM'd versions which will cause issues in other programs.

So as long as you do not use iCloud library as a back-up solution I think its ok.. but dont quote me on that ;)
Col1990 3:53 PM - 7 July, 2015
I hope thats the case
boabmatic 4:00 PM - 7 July, 2015
www.macworld.com

The biggest problem with iTunes 12.2 is the iCloud Music Library feature, which combines iTunes Match and Apple Music, as well as your purchased tracks, giving you access to music across devices. This is a great idea, in theory, but iTunes Match has been fraught with problems since its launch, and the iCloud Music Library is simply broken. On my MacBook Pro, iTunes messed up my album artwork, changed tags for a lot of my music, and converted many of my Matched and Uploaded tracks to Apple Music files, which, if re-downloaded, contain DRM.
defjamblaster 7:04 PM - 7 July, 2015
ITT: don't use itunes cloud music library.
ParisCreative 2:36 PM - 9 July, 2015
So I ran into an issue where 12.2 wouldn't allow me to add new music, so I quickly downgraded to 12.1 and I have been contemplating ditching iTunes for Serato to management my music. Problem is I extensively use Smart Playlists which Serato has a lot to catch up on to get Smart Crates to what I need them for. pariscreative.com
BleedR 7:22 PM - 9 July, 2015
I've some boxes from Sonos at home! They got this iTunes Playlist stuff fixed in 1-2 days!

But Serato is not able to publish a fix for it till now. It's a pity!
How long will it take till a maintenance release comes out? 1 month? 2 months?
Or maybe there is a new hardware where Serato will earn licensing $$$ and this will get integrated so this makes a release earlier with the fix?
Dj Nyce 4:21 PM - 10 July, 2015
Quote:

doesn't affect dj'ing whatsoever. its just annoying. keep in mind that before one of the sdj updates, sdj didn't remember the collapsed state so this isn't the first time for something like this.

i think the lack of intelligent smart crates, advanced bulk editing tools and the ability to automatically import new music (seamlessly) is enough to keep using itunes. if serato added these features i would be the first to jump ship.
ParisCreative 4:26 PM - 10 July, 2015
^^^ I am second in line DJ Nyce
DJ Reverend Rob 8:22 AM - 11 July, 2015
Just to point a glimmer of hope, I had no issues upgrading to either iTunes 12.2 or SDJ 1.7.6. I've never used iTunes Match, and I didn't turn on iCloud music. My playlists are fine so far. I can collapse my iTunes playlists in SDJ, and, after at least 2 full nights, no crashes. Now, I know YMMV, but I know most forums are people posting bugs, so I wanted to let others know not everyone's having problems.
DJ Sainte 8:29 AM - 11 July, 2015
Quote:
So I ran into an issue where 12.2 wouldn't allow me to add new music, so I quickly downgraded to 12.1 and I have been contemplating ditching iTunes for Serato to management my music. Problem is I extensively use Smart Playlists which Serato has a lot to catch up on to get Smart Crates to what I need them for. pariscreative.com

Had this problem as well. Need to not ever update iTunes before it becomes Serato safe...
dizzyrocks2001 12:02 PM - 11 July, 2015
Quote:
Just to point a glimmer of hope, I had no issues upgrading to either iTunes 12.2 or SDJ 1.7.6. I've never used iTunes Match, and I didn't turn on iCloud music. My playlists are fine so far. I can collapse my iTunes playlists in SDJ, and, after at least 2 full nights, no crashes. Now, I know YMMV, but I know most forums are people posting bugs, so I wanted to let others know not everyone's having problems.

Are you sure about that because you are the only one who's reported that they can collapse all their playlists in SDJ, which shouldn't be possible because Serato hasn't released a new version with a fix for that bug yet. When did you instal iTunes 12.2? If it does work then Apple must have done something on their end.
defjamblaster 5:42 PM - 11 July, 2015
yeah, i don't think that's correct either. it's not a bug where it would only affect some users.
dizzyrocks2001 5:45 PM - 11 July, 2015
Ya, there's no way he's the only one on Earth not experiencing the same problems everyone else has.
nik39 11:51 PM - 11 July, 2015
Is this an issue with sdj only and bit with SSL?
DJ RaGu 7:09 PM - 12 July, 2015
Quote:
Is this an issue with sdj only and bit with SSL?

SSL 2.5 works like a charm for me. MY SDJ 1.7.5/1.7.6 on the other hand crashes immediately after I open it.
DJ RaGu 7:11 PM - 12 July, 2015
Quote:

What operating system are you using?
PopRoXxX 9:14 PM - 13 July, 2015
I can collapse as well. No problems with it on my end either. My iTunes in SDJ is fine since the first update and another update just came out today to fix an issue with the first update
PopRoXxX 9:15 PM - 13 July, 2015
Although, I do not like seeing all my apps in SDJ. That is a problem I'm having
XclusiveCity 9:58 PM - 13 July, 2015
Quote:

Quote:
I can collapse as well. No problems with it on my end either. My iTunes in SDJ is fine since the first update and another update just came out today to fix an issue with the first update

I'm sure all of us can collapse the actual iTunes Library crate itself in SDJ, cause I can collapse as well, but we can't collapse the playlists within the actual iTunes Library crate with the new iTunes 12.2 update and that's the main issue.

Another issue I found is that in previous versions before the iTunes 12.2 update, SDJ would structure your iTunes library just like how it is in your actually iTunes library (eg. by bpm, artist, comments, grouping, or just numerically), but now it doesn't do that. It almost seems as if iTunes switched up the way other programs would read the iTunes library XML file.

One things for sure and 2 things for certain.. This is NOT a SDJ problem and this is definitely a iTunes 12.2 problem. Lesson learned for me... Next time I won't update my iTunes until SDJ says its okay to do so!
DJ Reverend Rob 11:36 PM - 13 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Are you sure about that because you are the only one who's reported that they can collapse all their playlists in SDJ, which shouldn't be possible because Serato hasn't released a new version with a fix for that bug yet. When did you instal iTunes 12.2? If it does work then Apple must have done something on their end.

Nope. Collapses just fine for me. The only thing I've seen so far that others have talked about is seeing apps and other purchases listed, but that's not really a big deal to me. I installed 12.2 last Tuesday (7/7). I actually never tried to collapse a playlist before this was brought up (never felt the need, personally), so i never noticed it working/not working before.
Again, I believe the people that are having issues, it's just that forums for products seem to always be only the problems, which can make a problem seem like everyone has it. I believe that both positives and negatives should be aired.
BleedR 11:38 PM - 13 July, 2015
Check 12.2.1
dizzyrocks2001 11:46 PM - 13 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nope. Collapses just fine for me. The only thing I've seen so far that others have talked about is seeing apps and other purchases listed, but that's not really a big deal to me. I installed 12.2 last Tuesday (7/7). I actually never tried to collapse a playlist before this was brought up (never felt the need, personally), so i never noticed it working/not working before.
Again, I believe the people that are having issues, it's just that forums for products seem to always be only the problems, which can make a problem seem like everyone has it. I believe that both positives and negatives should be aired.

So you're able to collapse individual iTunes folders and playlists?
XclusiveCity 11:46 PM - 13 July, 2015
It would be dope if everyone claiming they could still collapse their iTunes playlists library in SDJ after the iTunes 12.2 update to post pics so we could all see. I'm finding it real hard to believe at this point.
cheekyme 11:43 AM - 14 July, 2015
Hey

I am having the same troubles as everyone else on this! I have had it since V12 of iTunes. Displaying unwanted media types in the 'crates' viewer.

I submitted a support ticket to see if Serato could do anything and was told that SDJ just reads the whole .xml file from iTunes so nothing could be done.

I currently use iTunes for audio and serato crates for video. I just have audio playlists viewed normally unless I am playing vids. When I plug my video drive in, viola - Serato crates pop up like magic and all is good.

So I decided to give Serato crates another bash (for audio). Well, it wasn't long before I decided that having the iTunes empty playlists and media types wasn't so bad after all.

I hate it when people bang on about features in other programs that aren't in Serato. I just think, use that program instead then, but I opened my djay Pro program (use this for back up, synced with ipad etc...) and they have decided to only show the music folder - and the playlists are collapsable. I also noticed that the latest update was 1st July.

It seems bizarre that this is still a problem for Serato and not for others? There is clearly a way of manipulating the .xml file to only view the music of iTunes so why would Serato even need to work with apple to resolve this?

I hope the guys can finally sort this out, and I hope even more that we never see a forum post that reads 'SERATO SUCKS - MY AUDIOBOOKS ARE MISSING'.
defjamblaster 12:15 PM - 14 July, 2015
Please don't screw with my audio books
cheekyme 12:17 PM - 14 July, 2015
I know!! Gotta educate the crowd!! ;)
dizzyrocks2001 12:17 PM - 14 July, 2015
Hey cheekyme, check out this arcticle. I think an xml fix should be possible in the near future...

www.digitaldjtips.com
cheekyme 12:49 PM - 14 July, 2015
Quote:
Hey cheekyme, check out this arcticle. I think an xml fix should be possible in the near future...

It is possible, as djay pro has proved. And I just checked with Traktor and they have it working properly too.

There has been problems with iTunes for ages now, Displaying unwanted media types and playlists etc. This was solved in earlier versions by unticking in iTunes prefs etc. There was always a workaround for us if we wanted, until v12 (i think).

It just seems that Serato are a bit hesitant to alter what is provided by the .xml files, whereas other developers have considered that its the best thing to do.

Hope it finally gets sorted......
Marcos B. 1:06 PM - 14 July, 2015
Hi, someone has already updated to the new version iTunes 12.2.1???
defjamblaster 1:16 PM - 14 July, 2015
yes, no different in the update.
John Macraven 9:34 PM - 16 July, 2015
i don't understand why Serato still don't have the solution for this?
i Don't want to use Timemachine (Macbook) to go back to a previous setup because the loss of all the tracks and programs that are installed and downloaded after the install of iTunes 12.2.0.
defjamblaster 9:39 PM - 16 July, 2015
You could just restore an older iTunes, not
Your whole backup file.
Joe Fresh 2:18 AM - 17 July, 2015
I think if you restore your iTunes application (the older version) and the matching iTunes folder (with the library files), you'll be all set.
Big Pops 3:50 AM - 17 July, 2015
Serato when would this be fixed, Pioneer DJ updated RekodBox to fix this issue
cheekyme 9:42 AM - 17 July, 2015
Quote:
I think if you restore your iTunes application (the older version) and the matching iTunes folder (with the library files), you'll be all set

Hey, how do you do this with time machine? Just tried and it said it can't as iTunes is required by osx??

Cheers!!
defjamblaster 12:26 PM - 17 July, 2015
I'm guessing here without trying it, so not sure if it will work. Try opening time machine, then navigating to the date you want. Then go into users>music>iTunes and restore that entire iTunes folder. Of course you will lose whatever you have done since then in iTunes if it works. If that's what you tried already, I'm not sure what to do differently. You *could* try to delete your current iTunes application with an app such as app zap, then try to restore an older version.
cheekyme 12:49 PM - 17 July, 2015
Hey

Managed to roll it back to 12.1.2.

I did it via the app zapper method as described by DJ Capro above.

Just grabbed the .itl files from time machine before i updated, appzapped itunes and copied it from an old back up. Dragged all the recent tunes and put em in itunes.

Bosh, worked a treat.

Hope all this gets sorted out tho!!
Crafty 1:40 PM - 17 July, 2015
1+

Urgent! Serato could you please fix this problem please .......

'CANNOT COLLAPSE PLAYLISTS' with this new Itunes 12.2 update with Serato 1.7.6.

I have many many gigs coming up and I'm getting stressed ;(
BleedR 4:54 PM - 17 July, 2015
Till this gets fixed you can do it my way,
installing older OS X on a USB!

serato.com
jamesltd 8:41 AM - 18 July, 2015
I HAVE A SOLUTION! Probably temporary though...

I updated to iTunes 12.2 and lost access to my iTunes playlists in Serato. It looks like with the update iTunes has moved the .xml file Serato would use to read your iTunes library or renamed it to .itl (?).

To fix it I went into iTunes then File > Library > Export Library and exported a library named 'iTunes Music Libary.xml' and saved it to the Music > iTunes folder.

It looks like that has forced Serato to read my library there and all playlists and latest tracks are in there.
dizzyrocks2001 12:26 PM - 18 July, 2015
Quote:
I HAVE A SOLUTION! Probably temporary though...

I updated to iTunes 12.2 and lost access to my iTunes playlists in Serato. It looks like with the update iTunes has moved the .xml file Serato would use to read your iTunes library or renamed it to .itl (?).

To fix it I went into iTunes then File > Library > Export Library and exported a library named 'iTunes Music Libary.xml' and saved it to the Music > iTunes folder.

It looks like that has forced Serato to read my library there and all playlists and latest tracks are in there.

I don't really think what you described is a "solution" because Music > iTunes is the default location of the xml file in the first place. When you upgraded to 12.2 the xml file may have gotten moved to the wrong location for some reason so by exporting your Library to the iTunes folder you simply moved the xml file back to its default location - to where it was supposed to be in the first place, but I'm willing to bet when you try to collapse iTunes playlists within SDJ you won't be able to because that issue hasn't been resolved by Serato and Apple yet.
DJ Sainte 11:33 PM - 19 July, 2015
Still no update? Haven't been able to add any new music from iTunes since the update. I mean, lesson is learned. From now o,n no more auto updates, but I figured they have a fix for it by now.
defjamblaster 11:45 PM - 19 July, 2015
Not being able to add music sounds like a different problem. We just lost our iTunes folders within sdj.
kitsch_records 3:47 PM - 21 July, 2015
This is a major problem. Admin has suggested downgrading which I've tried, this doesn't work because it then says that iTunes can't read the library because it was created with a newer version of iTunes (obviously 'upgraded' with 12.2) Also I've noticed, as I have a very large library with many playlist sub folders, after a certain amount down, I can no longer even click on the playlist, this goes for serato crates as well, anything bellow a certain amount. This problem has completely dominated my time since occurring, still no solution and gigs and production work coming out my ears. I've zero'd my entire system around 8 times now and tried every combination of system install configurations, same fault.
ParisCreative 3:54 PM - 21 July, 2015
kitsch, no backup?
fmolina 3:15 AM - 22 July, 2015
There is a backup please look the folder iTunes with the name previos iTunes library
Urban610 4:30 PM - 22 July, 2015
Ok so here is what I'm dealing with. A few weeks ago I updated my Macbook OS X from Mavericks to Yosemite, and in doing so I also upgraded my iTunes from 12.1.2 to 12.2. After the update Serato DJ was completely unusable, got the "pinwheel" for every little movement, tracks wouldn't load, and I would eventually have to force quit. After reading about how iTunes 12.2 isn't compatible with Serato DJ, I used Time Machine and went back to before I updated everything, including my OS X. Everything worked fine again. So I did the OS X update again to Yosemite, this time NOT updating iTunes to 12.2. No problems with Serato DJ... UNTIL I added a few new tracks to iTunes. Now all of a sudden I'm back in the same boat with Serato DJ being completely unusable. What the heck is going on?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 9:43 PM - 22 July, 2015
Hi Urban610,

We have a had a few reports of this kind of behaviour for some users after moving up to 12.2, the best thing to do right now is contact our support team here support.serato.com and work with them to investigate the issue. The more information we have on the problem the easier it will be to fix.

To everybody else that has been in touch with us thank you! Your reports have helped us narrow down the iTunes 12.2 compatibility issues and you can expect some fixes in a future release. For anybody else experiencing any trouble since upgrading or just in general please get in touch! support.serato.com

Thanks everyone.

J
Gary Hipperson 9:52 PM - 22 July, 2015
Have we heard any official word from serrate yet about this?
cheekyme 10:00 PM - 22 July, 2015
yeah. 'you can expect some fixes in a future release'.

So, that's good then.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 10:04 PM - 22 July, 2015
Gary have a read of my post above yours mate :)
DJ Sainte 10:08 PM - 22 July, 2015
Quote:
Hi Urban610,

We have a had a few reports of this kind of behaviour for some users after moving up to 12.2, the best thing to do right now is contact our support team here support.serato.com and work with them to investigate the issue. The more information we have on the problem the easier it will be to fix.

To everybody else that has been in touch with us thank you! Your reports have helped us narrow down the iTunes 12.2 compatibility issues and you can expect some fixes in a future release. For anybody else experiencing any trouble since upgrading or just in general please get in touch! support.serato.com

Thanks everyone.

J

I think this the official word. But its been over 21 days now and other DJ software have fixed thier issues with 12.2.
Urban610 3:17 AM - 25 July, 2015
Quote:
Hi Urban610,

Thanks everyone.

J

Jason.S I contacted customer support on Wednesday but I still haven't received a response (Ticket 104454). Senato DJ isn't working with DDJ-SX hooked up. I currently have ZERO files in Serato yet it still lags and I get the pinwheel for anything I try to do. I'm to the point where if you can't give me a solution (or even a response) I'm going to look into using a different DJ software that is more reliable.
DJ Sidies 8:00 PM - 29 July, 2015
Any update on a fix yet?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 10:44 PM - 29 July, 2015
Hey Urban610,

I see you ended up speaking with Lucas and getting it sorted and are going to get back to report your further findings so thanks for that!

Hey DJ Sidies,

We are working on iTunes fixes and will get a release out with them as soon as we can :) Are the issues you are having the same as the others in this post? Folders stuck in an expanded state and lots of unwanted extra folders (apps etc)?

Thanks all,

J
DJ Sidies 11:03 PM - 29 July, 2015
Yes the same
DJ Sidies 11:06 PM - 29 July, 2015
It's not a big problem just a pain.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 11:12 PM - 29 July, 2015
Yeah I understand man, if it gets in the way of your normal workflow it it gets annoying! So we treat a bug like this seriously and are committing time to sorting it :)
DJ STRETCH - NYC 12:47 AM - 30 July, 2015
I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS BUT I DID IT MYSELF!!!!

WARNING!!!!!

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!!

WARNING!!!!

How to uninstall and downgrade iTunes 12.1.x to

12.0.x

Go to the “Control Panel” – uninstall iTunes and related components> “Add or Remove Programs”

1), iTunes

2), Apple Software Update

3), Bonjour

4), Apple Mobile Device Support

5), Apple Application Support (32-bit)

6), Apple Application Support (64-bit)

****ON MAC**TO UNINSTALL / REMOVE ITUNES****

Open - Terminal
cd /Applications
sudo rm -rf iTunes.app/
enter your password

After that, you can install the Old iTunes, free download here:

Windows OS

32-bit: secure-appldnld.apple.com

64-bit: secure-appldnld.apple.com

Mac OS X: secure-appldnld.apple.com

***NOW THE HARD PART****
goto your itunes folder and rename - iTunes Library.itl
I just added zzziTunes Library.itl

goto folder - Previous iTunes Libraries
LOOK FOR THE OLDEST .Itl
copy it to the itunes folder and rename it to iTunes Library.itl

THEN START ITUNES....

IF YOU ADDED PLAYLIST AFTER THIS itl FILE THEN THEY MIGHT NOT BE THERE!!
DJ STRETCH - NYC 1:10 AM - 30 July, 2015
Quote:
I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS BUT I DID IT MYSELF!!!!

WARNING!!!!!

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!!

WARNING!!!!

How to uninstall and downgrade iTunes 12.1.x to

12.0.x

Go to the “Control Panel” – uninstall iTunes and related components> “Add or Remove Programs”

1), iTunes

2), Apple Software Update

3), Bonjour

4), Apple Mobile Device Support

5), Apple Application Support (32-bit)

6), Apple Application Support (64-bit)

****ON MAC**TO UNINSTALL / REMOVE ITUNES****

Open - Terminal
cd /Applications
sudo rm -rf iTunes.app/
enter your password

After that, you can install the Old iTunes, free download here:

Windows OS

32-bit: secure-appldnld.apple.com

64-bit: secure-appldnld.apple.com

Mac OS X: secure-appldnld.apple.com

***NOW THE HARD PART****
goto your itunes folder and rename - iTunes Library.itl
I just added zzziTunes Library.itl

goto folder - Previous iTunes Libraries
LOOK FOR THE OLDEST .Itl
copy it to the itunes folder and rename it to iTunes Library.itl

THEN START ITUNES....

IF YOU ADDED PLAYLIST AFTER THIS itl FILE THEN THEY MIGHT NOT BE THERE!!

WHAT I HAVE LEARNED
1. YOU WILL NEED TO SORT THE MUSIC FOLDER BY DATE AND DRAG ALL THOSE FOLDER FROM THE DATE OF THE .itl FILE FROM ABOVE INTO ITUNES TO BE ADDED into the .itl FILE.
2. PLAYLIST CREATED AFTER THAT FILE DATE IS LOST
3. SDJ works fine with collapsing
4. SSL works also
5. more to come.....
DJ Sainte 4:56 AM - 31 July, 2015
My problem is that NO new music that I add to iTunes is loaded into SDJ since 12.2. I know I can copy/drag files into SDJ, but I have used iTunes for my file management / smart playlists for a while now.
Still waiting for an update....
Urban610 9:01 PM - 31 July, 2015
Quote:
Hey Urban610,

I see you ended up speaking with Lucas and getting it sorted and are going to get back to report your further findings so thanks for that!

Hey DJ Sidies,

We are working on iTunes fixes and will get a release out with them as soon as we can :) Are the issues you are having the same as the others in this post? Folders stuck in an expanded state and lots of unwanted extra folders (apps etc)?

Thanks all,

J

Jason.S,

I did speak with Lucas on Monday. He did everything he could but ultimately couldn't find a solution to fix the lagging. I ended up having to wipe my hard drive and do a complete reinstall of my OS X and Serato DJ, then transferred my iTunes folder from my previous Time Machine back-up when I was using iTunes 12.1.2. Everything seems to be working good now (knock on wood). In case anyone else needs to do this, when I reinstalled OS X Yosemite it kept iTunes 12.1.2 as the latest version, so as last resort for anyone that needs to roll back to the previous iTunes, reinstalling the OS X seems to work. Just make sure you back-up everything before you try it.
DJ-MPENZI 6:45 PM - 2 August, 2015
Urgent! Serato could you please fix this problem please .......

'CANNOT COLLAPSE PLAYLISTS' with this new Itunes 12.2 update with Serato 1.7.6.

I have many many gigs coming up and I'm getting stressed ;(

Ok I want to say I though it would be hard but I did this this morning and I have all my collapsible folders back on Serato!! and I am very HAPPY.

*****FYI I am a MAC user my instructions are based on that...and as always USE AT YOUR OWN RISK this worked for me this morning and took me about 30 min.
***** My iTunes media is stored on an external drive (i direct my iTunes to my external drive) and not on my computer so I would recommend having a back up of your music (which you should have anyway if you are serious about your music :))

Step 1
I searched for a previous version of iTunes 12.1.2 on the net and found it here
ipsw.me

Step 2.
Downloaded the APP Zapper app that removes apps from your computer
appzapper.com
- Once you download it will ask you to purchase a license...you don't have to you get 5 free zapps before you have to purchase
- Once the app is open go to File > Preferences > (uncheck) Keep Apple Applications Safe
- This will allow access to all apps on your computer
- select iTunes and Zapp

Ps. If you receive an error about App Zapper not being from a trusted developer it's a simple setting go to:
System Preferences > security & privacy > general tab > allow apps from anywhere
you can revert back once you are done zapping

Step 3
Install iTunes 12.1.2

Step 4

Once installation is done, before opening iTunes go to your iTunes Folder:
User(you) > iTunes
look for the file in there called iTunes Library.itl and rename it to iTunes Library.itl.old

Step 5
- Go into your Previous iTunes Libraries Folder and find the last latest library you have in the folder (they should be dated) it will look something like this: iTunes Library 2015-07-19.itl
Rename this file to iTunes Library.itl

- Drag this file from the previous library folder to the iTunes Folder
Once done....launch iTunes and Voila!!!!

If you need a visual description this video show how
youtu.be

It seems/sounds complicated but it is not....
Once you are up and running remember to go into your iTunes > Preferences > Advanced and uncheck Automatic Updates :) to prevent a repeat :)

GOOD LUCK!!!
Urban610 8:57 PM - 2 August, 2015
Well I pressed my luck a little too far. Serato DJ stopped working again. I think turning on home sharing on iTunes is what screwed it up, even though I'm using version 12.1.2 and not 12.2. Even if I go back and turn it off Serato still won't work. I'm doing a complete reinstall of my hard drive again for the second time in a week. Frustrating to say the least.
defjamblaster 9:05 PM - 2 August, 2015
I've always had home sharing on, hasn't caused any problems, just fyi.
Urban610 9:34 PM - 2 August, 2015
I'm not sure what the issue is then. It was working fine last night. The only changes I made to my computer were signing into iTunes, turning on home sharing, and performing a Time Machine back up and deleting the old back ups. That's it.
maarawoe 9:44 PM - 2 August, 2015
I am still wondering why Serato haven't released one-of update fixing the iTunes library issue....
This is quite a major issue causing the application to crash etc. so why the hell its being ignored for so long??? - its almost more than month!!!!
BleedR 9:51 PM - 2 August, 2015
Quote:
I am still wondering why Serato haven't released one-of update fixing the iTunes library issue....
This is quite a major issue causing the application to crash etc. so why the hell its being ignored for so long??? - its almost more than month!!!!

Because Serato got your $ and doesn't give a sh*t anymore!
maarawoe 9:54 PM - 2 August, 2015
Quote:

Because Serato got your $ and doesn't give a sh*t anymore!

Ya... This was the reason why I moved from Traktor :-D
Serato, Support
Jamie W 9:54 PM - 2 August, 2015
Hey Guys

As Jason has already said a couple of times...
Quote:
We are working on iTunes fixes and will get a release out with them as soon as we can :)

Please hold tight!

Thanks,
Jamie.
maarawoe 10:00 PM - 2 August, 2015
Quote:

Please hold tight!

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for heads up. :-)
The problem is that I am (we are) holding tight for a month already what is quite unacceptable for such major issue. Still not sure what is true :-)
1) You are fixing only the iTunes issue and in that case its embarrassing that it takes one month to a software company to fix
2) You are bundling the fix with other fixes what is pure stupidity as this is something that really worth one-off attention and fix.........
BleedR 10:03 PM - 2 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Please hold tight!

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for heads up. :-)
The problem is that I am (we are) holding tight for a month already what is quite unacceptable for such major issue. Still not sure what is true :-)
1) You are fixing only the iTunes issue and in that case its embarrassing that it takes one month to a software company to fix
2) You are bundling the fix with other fixes what is pure stupidity as this is something that really worth one-off attention and fix.........

I'm waiting since Oktober 2014 for a controller issue causing dropouts and as of now they can't reproduce it willingly, so they don't even have a clue!!!
Good luck!
Urban610 11:18 PM - 2 August, 2015
Ok so I forgot that I changed one other thing on my MacBook. Under system preferences > accessibility > audio I changed the audio output from stereo to mono because I play iTunes and karaoke off my headphones jack. That seems to be what is causing my Serato DJ to not work properly. I unchecked it and now Serato works. Weird. So my ongoing issue is apparently unrelated to iTunes.
WarpNote 6:01 AM - 3 August, 2015
Quote:
I changed the audio output from stereo to mono

Yep that will cause Rane 62 not work with SDJ too...
Just reset back to stereo, and you should be good.
dizzyrocks2001 6:22 AM - 3 August, 2015
Quote:
Ok so I forgot that I changed one other thing on my MacBook. Under system preferences > accessibility > audio I changed the audio output from stereo to mono because I play iTunes and karaoke off my headphones jack. That seems to be what is causing my Serato DJ to not work properly. I unchecked it and now Serato works. Weird. So my ongoing issue is apparently unrelated to iTunes.

Hey Urban610, I had the same problem as you when setting audio to mono in the accessibility panel of system preferences. Here's a fix that I discovered after some trial and error...

serato.com
WarpNote 6:55 AM - 3 August, 2015
What dizzyrocks2001 came up with in the past (Thanks man!)

- With your Rane 62 connected open the Audio MIDI Setup (found with the Utilities folder of Applications).
- In the Audio Devices window click on "Rane 62" on the left hand side. "Rane 62" might appear twice so click on the one where the "Configure Speakers" ISN'T greyed out.
- Click on "Configure Speakers" and in the "Stereo" panel change "left" to "3" and "right" to "4" (instead of the default 1 & 2). Do the same for the "Multichannel" panel (even though I don't think "Multichannel" applies with DJ gear, but it doesn't hurt to change it to 3 & 4 just to be safe.)
- Click "Apply", close the Audio MIDI Setup app and you're done!
Urban610 11:10 AM - 3 August, 2015
Thanks dizzyrocks2001 & WarpNote. I'll give that a try tonight and see what happens and report back.
Urban610 12:51 AM - 4 August, 2015
I just changed the settings on my device (Pioneer DDJ-SX) the way you instructed and it worked like a charm. Thanks again dizzyrocks2001 & WarpNote. You guys rock.
dizzyrocks2001 1:23 AM - 4 August, 2015
Quote:
I just changed the settings on my device (Pioneer DDJ-SX) the way you instructed and it worked like a charm. Thanks again dizzyrocks2001 & WarpNote. You guys rock.

Good to hear! By the way, the problem only appeared with the release of Yosemite, it was never a problem in Mavericks.
Urban610 2:21 AM - 4 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Good to hear! By the way, the problem only appeared with the release of Yosemite, it was never a problem in Mavericks.

Yeah, I upgraded from Mavericks to Yosemite the same time I upgraded my iTunes to 12.2 so I wasn't sure where the problem started since iTunes has its own problems. I completely wiped my hard drive twice before finally figuring out what was causing it. I'm just glad this nightmare is over and I can finally get back to using Serato again. You're a lifesaver.
dizzyrocks2001 2:49 AM - 4 August, 2015
Hey Serato team, any chance that this bug can be squashed in a future update? I know it's an Apple problem, but it does affect SDJ.
Serato, Support
Jamie W 3:00 AM - 4 August, 2015
Hey Dizzyrocks,

As we have said a number of times in this thread :)
We have logged the issue and we hope to address it in a future release.

We know its annoying for iTunes users (I am one of them).

Please hold tight!

Jamie
dizzyrocks2001 3:04 AM - 4 August, 2015
Quote:
Hey Dizzyrocks,

As we have said a number of times in this thread :)
We have logged the issue and we hope to address it in a future release.

We know its annoying for iTunes users (I am one of them).

Please hold tight!

Jamie

Sorry, I should have specified what I was referring to - I didn't mean the iTunes 12.2 bug, I meant the problem that occurs when setting "play stereo audio as mono" in the Accessibility panel of System Preferences.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 3:58 AM - 4 August, 2015
Hey dizzyrocks2001,

We have the issue logged but no current plans for it as of yet.

Cheers!

J
dizzyrocks2001 4:06 AM - 4 August, 2015
Quote:
Hey dizzyrocks2001,

Cheers!

J

Gotcha. We have a workaround for the time being so it's all good :)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 4:10 AM - 4 August, 2015
Yeah that factors in to it too, the workaround provides a reasonable solution but of course it is something we can tidy up in future, just not critical for us to be addressing now :)

J
Urban610 4:10 AM - 4 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Hey dizzyrocks2001,

Cheers!

J

Gotcha. We have a workaround for the time being so it's all good :)

I just e-mailed Lucas the workaround solution to this problem that dizzyrocks2001 came up with in case another user runs into the same issue.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 4:12 AM - 4 August, 2015
Quote:
I just e-mailed Lucas the workaround solution to this problem that dizzyrocks2001 came up with in case another user runs into the same issue.

Thanks Urban610, I had already documented this alongside the bug but thanks for popping that through anyway! :)

J
SG SOUNDS 4:27 AM - 4 August, 2015
weird i updated to itunes 12.2 by accident but everything is still running normal in ssl and sdj....im i the only lucky one?
Serato, Support
Jamie W 4:28 AM - 4 August, 2015
It will work fine until you edit a playlist / add a folder in iTunes.
At this point the XML file gets updated and you will run into the issue.

Jamie
SG SOUNDS 5:12 AM - 4 August, 2015
Quote:

Jamie

oh ok...i edit my playlist in serato
dizzyrocks2001 6:49 AM - 4 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Jamie

You can't edit an iTunes playlist in Serato. I think you meant you edit crates in Serato, or manage your music in Serato.
SG SOUNDS 12:20 PM - 4 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Jamie

You can't edit an iTunes playlist in Serato. I think you meant you edit crates in Serato, or manage your music in Serato.

thats what i meant
Big Pops 2:20 AM - 5 August, 2015
Jamie W my question to you is how come you developers seems to be taking so long to fix this issue, i am also a Pioneer Rekordbox user and after the iTunes update Pioneer immediately put out a update to take care of this problem.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 2:22 AM - 5 August, 2015
Hi Big Pops,

Even when a bug fix is small we are really careful about testing it and letting the fix soak. We have a wider range of devices as well as a huge variation in user machines so its really important for us to ensure "fixes" cause no further issues, I know its hard but bear with us!

Cheers,

J
Big Pops 3:02 AM - 5 August, 2015
Hey Jason what is the possibility that Serato give DjAYS an option to use Beatport for Mac instead of iTunes.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 3:10 AM - 5 August, 2015
Hey Big Pops,

I wouldn't say its impossible my man, the best way to see features you believe in come to life is to actually rally a good amount of support in the feature request area of the forum :) This way people can discuss the pros and cons and really feel the idea out, you can pop something up here; serato.com

We keep an eye on the feature suggestion area when thinking about future work so get your ideas in there and get some folk behind it man!

Thanks!

J
TriplThreat 6:13 AM - 5 August, 2015
Can you confirm wether the future bug fixes will be made available for Scratch Live users. Theres still a lot of us out here.

Gracias¡
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:42 AM - 5 August, 2015
Quote:
Can you confirm wether the future bug fixes will be made available for Scratch Live users. Theres still a lot of us out here.

Gracias¡

Well as scratlive is discontinued i would guess not as they will say it's fixed in sdj. Plus the time on fixing this in SSL they could just find another bug in SDJ to fix.

But ya for sure wait to here from Serato staff on this one.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 8:13 AM - 5 August, 2015
Hey Tripl Threat,

As LJ_Woolsey mentioned development has ceased on Scratch Live, we will only be fixing these issues in Serato DJ as it stands. We do understand there are lots of users still out there on SSL but we have dedicated our development and testing resource to Serato DJ for some time now.

Cheers!

Jas
jtgrassie 12:39 PM - 5 August, 2015
This issue is taking a VERY long time to get resolved. Raising support tickets don't help either as they are being ignored on this issue.

Bottom line, if you are using latest Serato and latest iTunes, you will have an unusable system.

Please please please Serato resolve this issue now.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 9:42 PM - 5 August, 2015
Quote:
This issue is taking a VERY long time to get resolved. Raising support tickets don't help either as they are being ignored on this issue.

Hey jtgrassie,

I see your help request is underway and you have already spoken with Lucas, he will get back to you man hold tight we aren't ignoring iTunes issues!

Quote:
Please please please Serato resolve this issue now.

As we have mentioned we are working on these issues there will be fixes to address them in a future release, keep working with support and we can at least get a workaround for the meantime so you can use Serato DJ.

Cheers!

Anybody else needing help please do open a support ticket here; support.serato.com
Marcos B. 7:52 PM - 6 August, 2015
It would be possible to say a date when the update will be released ? As I said, I play many times a week and is being really hard to play that way. Thank you all
ParisCreative 7:56 PM - 6 August, 2015
I'd suggest anyone using SDJ to be using itunes 12.1 to alleviate the issues. Then again if you don't have a backup of your itunes library that would not work
Big Pops 3:58 PM - 19 August, 2015
Jason.S whats the status on iTunes fix, a new version of iTunes and SeratoDj was released with no fix.Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Robertoflay 11:29 PM - 19 August, 2015
Any updates on this issue?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 11:31 PM - 19 August, 2015
Hey guys,

Hold tight we are testing the fixes and will try to get an update out to you all asap!

The fixes were not complete in time to make the 1.7.7 release but we are working hard to get these out to you :)

Cheers,

Jas.
maarawoe 8:49 PM - 24 August, 2015
Quote:
Hey guys,

Hold tight we are testing the fixes and will try to get an update out to you all asap!

The fixes were not complete in time to make the 1.7.7 release but we are working hard to get these out to you :)

Cheers,

Jas.

Any good news?
DJ Snake Eyez 11:47 AM - 28 August, 2015
And the wait continues. This is so ridiculous on the amount of time it is taking you guys to fix this issue. Months? Really? Serato is definitely falling off the wagon. Very disappointed!
R-Dub 12:41 PM - 28 August, 2015
YES PLEASE FIX THIS NOW!
ParisCreative 12:47 PM - 28 August, 2015
I am frankly a bit surprised it is taking this long for a fix.
MiuoshK 12:52 PM - 28 August, 2015
Just do what I made in link pasted below, no Serato update is needed then.

iv.pl
dizzyrocks2001 2:44 PM - 28 August, 2015
Quote:
Just do what I made in link pasted below, no Serato update is needed then.

iv.pl

But that won't help those who use iTunes playlists in Serato DJ because they will still experience the problem of playlists not collapsing and iPhone apps etc. showing up.
maarawoe 2:45 PM - 28 August, 2015
2 months...... 2 months!!!!
DJ Frustro 7:34 PM - 29 August, 2015
I too am suffering from this - and it does suck.
Vendors make changes that partners like Serato can't always account or prepare for. Nature of software development.
I only blame Serato for keeping their DB so behind the times in terms of features / abilities to create better smart crates, nesting, using multiple smart crates together, multiple grid filtering and sorting plus better 'where' clauses for searching or organizing. In this era this should be part and parcel, not the exception.
maarawoe 8:30 PM - 29 August, 2015
I am not blaming serato they were not prepared for that but I am blaming them that they were not able to fix quite significant bug for longer than 2 months and we are still waiting....
Wtf - don't tell me that a software company is not able to find a manpower of one coder who will fix it within one week?? Ignorance...- nothing else... Screw explanations that they did not made it to the 1.7.7 release date - they simply haven't even tried to fix even the knew how many people are affected. 2 months! Thats really ridiculous if you call yourself serious company or so called leader of the dj software market...
WarpNote 10:53 PM - 29 August, 2015
Quote:

Quote:
they simply haven't even tried to fix even the knew how many people are affected

maarawoe, you really need to brush up on your reading skills, if that's your conclusion....
Do you make stuff up as you go? Jason said they "ARE WORKING HARD", thats not the same as "haven't even tried".
PopRoXxX 11:10 PM - 29 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
they simply haven't even tried to fix even the knew how many people are affected

maarawoe, you really need to brush up on your reading skills, if that's your conclusion....
Do you make stuff up as you go? Jason said they "ARE WORKING HARD", thats not the same as "haven't even tried".

At least his profile pic matches the tone of his posts majority of the time. lol!
maarawoe 7:18 AM - 30 August, 2015
Quote:

All they did hard in the last 2 months was to tell us they are trying hard.
If I am "trying hard" like this and working on a single item for such a long time, I would get fired from any company (and my job is not much different from theirs)....

Quote:

At least his profile pic matches the tone of his posts majority of the time. lol!

Haha thanks! :-D
The true is that I am in fact a nice guy but when there is something what makes not able to use my stuff and is being overlooked so long (moreover when I am not only one having the issue), I am relly getting pissed of and affects my gigs etc. (for example my library got completely messy due to the issue and downgrades of the iTunes what is real pain and I lost track of my tracks...)
Don't think that I am some chronic hater or moaner - After the years, I am only bored by plain talks without result and people not using their brains and showing not even the smallest effort to do/find something on their own.
Sad fact is that I faced both recently here :-D
BleedR 7:49 AM - 30 August, 2015
Quote:
If I am "trying hard" like this and working on a single item for such a long time, I would get fired from any company (and my job is not much different from theirs)....

True Story.
It took Sonos 2 days to fix that. LOL
WarpNote 8:02 AM - 30 August, 2015
Quote:

So you have full insight to what all Serato employees have been doing the last 2 months? lol..

I just think you guys need to see the whole picture, sure 2 month is a little long. On the flip side, there is more to a full fledged DJ program like SDJ than a ios streaming app like Sonos etc.

Maybe they hit some unforeseen issues down the road?
Wouldn't you rather they make sure the fix is solid, than rushing it out halfway?
maarawoe 8:09 AM - 30 August, 2015
To be honest, from my customer's and users point of view, I don't care much about the insight - all I care about is if the software I have paid for is functional and if I can use it. Currently I can't. Period. If there is something more behind, they should share some more details and some aproximate date of fix to calm such nervous users like me... :-)
fmolina 3:14 PM - 30 August, 2015
Cuando sera el arreglo
Please fix it.
PopRoXxX 7:47 PM - 30 August, 2015
Never use iTunes = you'll never be nervous again. Hahahahaha!!

Apple will always be constantly changing and updating the way they do things without care of what happens to programs they don't make. I see this situation happening over and over in the future as well. If you stop using iTunes and use regular crates, this problem will never come up. If you prefer or "have" to use iTunes for whatever reason, then you just got to deal with situations like this until they are finally completed.

I have full faith that Serato has been taking this amount of time, to make sure the fixes they are putting in will be solid and not rushed out.
ParisCreative 8:27 PM - 30 August, 2015
The problem with crates is Serato's smart crates are well behind iTunes Smart Playlists. I mean even the basic capabilities of checking against null values.

I am reluctantly looking to switch to Serato crates only. My fear is I will have far less organization then I do in iTunes, lots more duplicates, and orphaned files.
nik39 12:30 AM - 31 August, 2015
There we go:

serato.com

Quote:
Added Serato DJ Hardware Support
Pioneer DDJ-SB2
Numark NS7III
Numark NS7II Display
Denon DJ MC4000
Rane MP2015 (requires Serato DJ Club Kit)

New features
DVS Expansion Pack for the Numark NS7II and NS7III.

Other changes
Numark Mixtrack Pro III pressing shift+play executes stutter play
Re-calibrated DVS phono input for Allen & Heath Xone 43C, Allen & Heath Xone DB4, Allen & Heath Xone DB2, Pioneer DJM-850, Pioneer DJM-900 Nexus, Rane TTM-57mkII, Denon DJ DS1
Updated Driver for Rane TTM-57mkII
Renamed iTunes library from "Library" to "iTunes"
Update to make sure Serato DJ does not show unsupported iTunes file types in the library
Tracks in the library show updated iTunes logo

Bug fixes
Fixed various USB dropouts
Addressed some latency issues for DVS users
iTunes 12.2 folders cannot be collapsed within Serato DJ
iTunes 12.2 displays unnecessary playlists in Serato DJ (For example; Apps, Books etc)
Crash for some iTunes users when clicking "Show iTunes Library"
Serato Remote hanging for some users

Known Issues
Unsupported iTunes file types imported into Serato DJ in builds prior to 1.7.8 will need to be manually deleted from the ALL crate
ParisCreative 12:32 AM - 31 August, 2015
Huzzah. At least the fix is out now. I'll hold off on 12.2 and 1.7.8 for now and hopefully the consensus is 1.7.8 is a worthy update.
Joe Fresh 12:49 AM - 31 August, 2015
Woo! Updating now, thank you Serato!
serato.com
Dj Nyce 2:27 AM - 31 August, 2015
thread closed
R-Dub 5:36 PM - 4 September, 2015
thread closed???
we need to know some feedback first!!!
How is everybody getting along with 1.7.8 & ITunes 12.2?

I've read at least one thread that didnt look good!
Robertoflay 5:41 PM - 4 September, 2015
New Serato Dj still states it can't find my iTunes library... I have a ticket out for it but they are stumped said it's an iTunes problem....
PopRoXxX 7:11 PM - 4 September, 2015
I would agree with Nyce.

Jump in and if there's problems got to Serato support. I've known iTunes to always do weird things 1 of 2 (if not both) ways:

1) Apple messes things up with new updates/features/add-ons that Serato has to fix (which they just did)

2) User error (this happens a lot as well)

Because of these issues, I have always stayed away from using iTunes for library management and have never had track/song/video or crate problems since first starting with SSL 1.2 till now with SDJ 1.7.8
rickymart 9:00 PM - 4 September, 2015
Another alternative is to downgrade to the previous version of iTunes (12.1.2). I had to do this with my new Mac, which, naturally, came loaded with 12.2. There're instructions out there for how to do this properly. Make sure, however, that you have a legitimate copy of the iTunes 12.1.2 dmg file. Good luck. I won't upgrade until I stop seeing so many messages about problems with iTunes itself (not just Serato).
ParisCreative 9:03 PM - 4 September, 2015
As a long time advocate if iTunes I decided to do the unthinkable and start the process of going Serato only. I'm making up an article on the process and the tools I am using. About 60% done of a 50k library.
DJ STRETCH - NYC 2:10 PM - 5 September, 2015
SERATO,

Please create a SeratoItunes that can be used just like Itunes. and if needed can be imported into itunes.
Options:
1. SeratoItunes -> Serato DJ
2. Itunes -> SeratoItunes -> Serato DJ
3. (Itunes <-> SeratoItunes) -> Serato DJ
3. Serato DJ with an GUI like Itunes
dizzyrocks2001 3:20 PM - 5 September, 2015
I've been using Serato DJ 1.7.8 and iTunes 12.2.2.25 without any problems so far. Btw, what's with iTunes using so many periods in their version number lol?
Dj Ricky Redz 12:20 PM - 6 September, 2015
you know what wasn't made clear to me, can we now collapse iTunes library in 1.7.8?
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:41 PM - 6 September, 2015
Quote:
you know what wasn't made clear to me, can we now collapse iTunes library in 1.7.8?

Bug fixes:

*Fixed various USB dropouts.
*Addressed some latency issues for DVS users.
*iTunes 12.2 folders cannot be collapsed within Serato DJ.
*iTunes 12.2 displays unnecessary playlists in Serato DJ (For example; Apps, Books etc).
*Crash for some iTunes users when clicking "Show iTunes Library"

Know Issue:

*Unsupported iTunes file types imported into Serato DJ in builds prior to 1.7.8 will need to be manually deleted from the ALL crate.
Serato, Support
Matt P 6:20 PM - 6 September, 2015
Another thing that should has been discovered is that iTunes 12.2 doesn't create an XML file by default.

If you have bought a new computer then you'll need to enable the xml in the preferences of Itunes under the "Advanced" tab.

Probably won't affect a lot of people but if you decide to get a brand new computer and start fresh, you'll need to enable itunes to create an XML for Serato (or any other program) to read.

MP
DJCheLu 4:23 AM - 13 September, 2015
I just downloaded 1.7.8 and did no upgrade itunes but lots of my songs are not showing up anymore under my itunes playlists in serato. I went back to 1.7.5 and they show up fine.

What should i do to get all the songs read properly again? I tried clicking and unclicking the read itunes library button with no luck.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 8:18 PM - 13 September, 2015
Hey DJCheLu

Best to open up a help request at support.serato.com so one of the team can take a look at that with you.

Aaron
DJCheLu 5:12 AM - 15 September, 2015
Quote:
Hey DJCheLu

Best to open up a help request at support.serato.com so one of the team can take a look at that with you.

Aaron

Ticket opened, i updated everything so im running OSX 10.9.5, Itunes 12.2.2, Serato DJ 1.7.8

Im glad i checked before i went to a gig. One of my playlists has 1672 videos but only 398 show up in serato dj even after rebuilding the .xml.
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:09 AM - 15 September, 2015
If you go into itunes then select this playlist then select all video and right click get info then look for video kind. Change it to Music Video. Then close itunes and open sdj do they then show up?
Serato, Support
Aaron E 7:06 AM - 15 September, 2015
That's good advice - thanks LJ_WOOLSEY.

Does that work for you DJCheLu?
DJCheLu 4:33 PM - 15 September, 2015
Quote:
That's good advice - thanks LJ_WOOLSEY.

Does that work for you DJCheLu?

I will try that tonight thank you. The strange part is using 12.2.2 and 1.7.5 serato every song is accounted for on the itunes playlists. Just have the known issue of random other playlists showing up and not starting collapsed.

At least i know i can use 1.7.5 if i can not figure this out.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 12:02 AM - 16 September, 2015
WOOLSEY's advice should definitely work for you.

The issue is that Apple changed the categorisation of video files with the 12.2 update. So in SDJ 1.7.7 or below you will see everything even if you don't want to, but in 1.7.8 you will only see one video category.

This was an unavoidable consequence of the fix we had to put in to stop unwanted files and folders from showing. Once you have changed the category to Music Video, they should all show.
DJCheLu 4:12 PM - 16 September, 2015
Quote:
WOOLSEY's advice should definitely work for you.

The issue is that Apple changed the categorisation of video files with the 12.2 update. So in SDJ 1.7.7 or below you will see everything even if you don't want to, but in 1.7.8 you will only see one video category.

This was an unavoidable consequence of the fix we had to put in to stop unwanted files and folders from showing. Once you have changed the category to Music Video, they should all show.

I did have a lot of "movies" and "home videos". Changed them all to Music Videos in Itunes. I unchecked and checked the read itunes library but it did not fix the issue. Next step tonight is to rebuild the XML and try that.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 9:33 PM - 16 September, 2015
Sounds like a plan if you are comfortable doing that. Are you working with one of the team in a ticket now?
DJCheLu 4:59 AM - 17 September, 2015
Quote:
Sounds like a plan if you are comfortable doing that. Are you working with one of the team in a ticket now?

Yes i am working with someone now. Hopefully i can get it all worked out! its a strange problem. The videos show up in the "All Videos" crate but not the playlist.
DJCheLu 5:09 AM - 17 September, 2015
Quote:

I think it might be something to do with the serato video icons.

Why do some videos just have a video icon and others have a video icon plus music icon on them? The ones missing the music icon are the ones not showing up in the playlists.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 10:14 PM - 17 September, 2015
Quote:
Yes i am working with someone now.

Cool, best to ask any questions in there as they will be better placed to go deeper on anything with you.

Cheers
Jas the Ace 10:06 AM - 29 February, 2016
How are things progressing with itunes vs serato? its 2016 now and Im having problems with serato dj not even wanting to load itunes...Ive gone back to pre itunes 12.2 without issue so far
dizzyrocks2001 12:40 PM - 29 February, 2016
Quote:
How are things progressing with itunes vs serato? its 2016 now and Im having problems with serato dj not even wanting to load itunes...Ive gone back to pre itunes 12.2 without issue so far

It's fine, no problems.
cheekyme 1:21 PM - 29 February, 2016
no problems here either..... so far!! :)
R-Dub 4:29 PM - 29 February, 2016
running SDJ 1.8.0 with itunes 12.3.2 on Dell with windows 10
No problems.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 7:40 PM - 29 February, 2016
Hey @Jas the Ace

If you're having trouble loading your iTunes library in Serato DJ, best to open a help request by clicking the button next to the comment box. One of the team can then look into what might be happening for you.

Cheers, Aaron
DJCheLu 8:03 PM - 29 February, 2016
Has anyone found an easy way to find there songs again once iTunes changed over the file names......

For example I have playlists in serato, then I updated iTunes and now all the songs have the orange question mark and cannot be found by serato.

I guess I could just search every song and create new playlist but that would be a huge pain. Already tried the find lost file function, didn't work for me.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 8:39 PM - 29 February, 2016
That sounds odd DJCheLu, an iTunes update shouldn't cause this to happen. Have you tried the Re-scan ID3 Tags button?

I'd recommend opening a help request for this as it would be best for one of the team to work with you directly to figure out what's going on. Click the button next to the comment box to get through to the submit form.

Cheers, Aaron
DJCheLu 8:45 PM - 29 February, 2016
Quote:
That sounds odd DJCheLu, an iTunes update shouldn't cause this to happen. Have you tried the Re-scan ID3 Tags button?

I'd recommend opening a help request for this as it would be best for one of the team to work with you directly to figure out what's going on. Click the button next to the comment box to get through to the submit form.

Cheers, Aaron

Yes ITunes changed the name of all my video files for some reason when it updated so all my videos had to be rediscovered by serato. but the playlists are all missing the files now. I will open a request thank you.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 12:27 AM - 1 March, 2016
Ah okay, it sounds like you've just come to an iTunes version 12.2+ for the first time.

Definitely best to work with one of the team to talk though it as the effect of this update for you will largely depend on how you are running your iTunes library and playlists.

Someone should be with you before too long as wait times are not too long right at the moment.

Cheers, Aaron