Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Hide playlists function!!!

cheekyme 1:30 PM - 4 May, 2015
Hi

I have another thread that has gained a major amount of support (3 !!!).

The problem I have is with the clogged playlist area.

As my SDJ is linked to iTunes, I have the dreaded Movies, Itunes U, TV Shows & Audiobooks showing up and taking up valuable space. There is currently no way of getting rid of these soooooo........

My idea is for a new function that will benefit every Serato user.

Here goes........

HIDE PLAYLIST FUNCTION.

So you get to a gig and only have to play a certain genre of music, or maybe just videos, or whatever..... Currently, you have lots of playlists that aren't relevant and a lot of unnecessary scrolling.

HIDE PLAYLISTS BUTTON

So there is now a magic button next to create playlist/smart playlists. This is the new playlist view button. To access this you must press shift and click it (to prevent newbies accidentally hiding their playlists).

When pressed it let's you select the playlists you wish to view, select them and press the hide playlist button again and presto!! Lovely clean playlist viewer.

Need all your playlists again? Maybe a Shift-Double tap reverts to 'show all'

Search function still acts as normal and any tune in your library will be available, in fact, maybe the ALL selection at the top of playlists should not be de-viewable.

Now that many are using controllers and cdj linking in HID mode, this feature is desperately needed to speed up workflow.

I do apologise if somebody has already suggested this.

Any thoughts??

Keefy
DJ La Formula 12:41 AM - 8 May, 2015
Hey Whats up Man.. Thanks for this Input,, but I Have 1.7.4 and i still have not been able to get this done, I do not see any "Magic Button"... Where exactly is it?

Thanks In Advance!
cheekyme 1:44 AM - 8 May, 2015
it's not there yet!! Just a thought for a future feature.

thought it was a problem solver and a workflow improvent. u agree??
DJ La Formula 6:42 PM - 8 May, 2015
Quote:
it's not there yet!! Just a thought for a future feature.

thought it was a problem solver and a workflow improvent. u agree??

oo ok, wow had me looking like crazy haha and yes you are 1000% correct, this or somethign similar is definatly needed ASAP.. its annoyign already to have extra playlist on your own screen that you dont need, and we shoudl ba able to have full control ove rthis and i feel like i don't..
DJ La Formula 8:39 PM - 9 June, 2015
NO answers yet???

Any idea on this SERATO???
deejdave 10:44 PM - 9 June, 2015
If you really don't want certain crates (which I assume you mean when you say playlists) to show up when you perform a certain gig you can delete said files from the Subcrate folder located in the _Serato_ folder.

Quote:
I have another thread that has gained a major amount of support (3 !!!)

I am assuming you will not be seeing any activity on this on Serato's end being 3 (or so) people is not the amount of support that could be called "major" by any means.

It is not that this would/could hurt any of the other users (the vast majority) who are able to manage with their crates but that it takes time away from things that the community at large actually needs/wants.
cheekyme 11:34 PM - 9 June, 2015
Hi deejdave

I assume that you missed this part!!

Quote:
As my SDJ is linked to iTunes, I have the dreaded Movies, Itunes U, TV Shows & Audiobooks showing up and taking up valuable space. There is currently no way of getting rid of these soooooo........

I am perfectly capable of managing my 'playlists', and using iTunes is the perfect way for me and always has been. 'Show iTunes library' has been in Serato since I started using it. However, it isn't perfect atm and my suggestion is to take a feature that is already there and make it better, which is what I believe the 'Feature Suggestions' forum is for.
deejdave 12:08 AM - 10 June, 2015
I was suggesting as more in general. I am not too familiar with iTunes as I personally would never use it w the exception of Serato Remote & exclusive tracks that must be purchased through iTunes.

I am not trying to deter anyone from suggestions but more or less offering some insight as to why this may not be getting much attention. Suggest away. As I said most would not care about this being implemented specifically as they just could simply not use it so everybody wins. That being said the attention must be there as Serato does things on a majority basis.
Hopefully you can get some decent +1's in the future so you may in fact see this happen.

Out of curiosity does iTunes not have a similar feature? Also for the time being why not add the music you plan to use on any given day to an actual crate so you can turn off iTunes in the menu then have ONLY the music you plan to use that day show up................. again just trying to off an "in the meantime" workaround.
cheekyme 8:45 AM - 10 June, 2015
I am only speaking for myself in this scenario, I am aware that some dj's would never use iTunes and prefer to organise entirely in Serato or use rekordbox/buddy.

For me, iTunes is essential. I am completely OCD about everything being tagged correctly and completely. I use iTunes mainly for the power it has with smart playlists. The star rating has long been an issue on these forums, and this feature alone is worth all the fuss.

When I add a few new tracks in iTunes, I tag the artist, title, genre, album, composer, bpm, and the star rating etc. This automatically puts the track in many different playlists. I know that this is achievable with smart crates, but unfortunately they are not as powerful.

I do use crates, but only for video that I use on some of my nights. These are stored on an external drive and the crates only pop up when the drive is plugged in. However, if I set up some smart crates and unplug the drive, the smart crates are still there albeit empty.

The main problem with the iTunes library is that Serato either shows it or doesn't. There is no way of manipulating what is shown. This, in part is due to the fact that Serato (currently) has no way of controlling what information is extracted from the (xml file i think). And, of course if a new iTunes version comes out, this information may change.

This is what brought me to thinking that there could be a way of easily manipulating all crates/playlists for a more 'gig specific' streamlined view with a show/hide function.

I know that many dj's just bang the tunes in Serato and manually search for every track. But I prefer to prep at home and make sure that everything is as quick as possible when at work.

Maybe this is not the way, maybe a more powerful crate manager in the offline player within Serato?
DJ La Formula 12:10 PM - 10 June, 2015
Quote:
I am only speaking for myself in this scenario, I am aware that some dj's would never use iTunes and prefer to organise entirely in Serato or use rekordbox/buddy.

For me, iTunes is essential. I am completely OCD about everything being tagged correctly and completely. I use iTunes mainly for the power it has with smart playlists. The star rating has long been an issue on these forums, and this feature alone is worth all the fuss.

When I add a few new tracks in iTunes, I tag the artist, title, genre, album, composer, bpm, and the star rating etc. This automatically puts the track in many different playlists. I know that this is achievable with smart crates, but unfortunately they are not as powerful.

I do use crates, but only for video that I use on some of my nights. These are stored on an external drive and the crates only pop up when the drive is plugged in. However, if I set up some smart crates and unplug the drive, the smart crates are still there albeit empty.

The main problem with the iTunes library is that Serato either shows it or doesn't. There is no way of manipulating what is shown. This, in part is due to the fact that Serato (currently) has no way of controlling what information is extracted from the (xml file i think). And, of course if a new iTunes version comes out, this information may change.

This is what brought me to thinking that there could be a way of easily manipulating all crates/playlists for a more 'gig specific' streamlined view with a show/hide function.

I know that many dj's just bang the tunes in Serato and manually search for every track. But I prefer to prep at home and make sure that everything is as quick as possible when at work.

Maybe this is not the way, maybe a more powerful crate manager in the offline player within Serato?

I Agree +100! I love ITunes. and it makes everything so much easier to navigate through music and find them as soon as possible and as organized as possible!.

If its there, why not.. Serato has this issue because I remove the extra playlist shown on ITunes, but when I go to Serato it shows everything I want and more..
deejdave 1:43 PM - 10 June, 2015
Quote:

I know some who do. Most do the actual organizing and preparing within Serato. I do myself for quite a few reason. You can use any tage editor you want but in the end you will just have to edit again within Serato to get the beat grids right, set the cue points, set loops, set any FLIPS, etc so I figure why edit twice is all.

Not trying to say your way is wrong though :)

Three questions though.
1.) Have you done this always as in since SSL and if so
2.) Has it been a smooth process from the start and furthermore
3.) Did this function as you wanted with SSL?

Lastly I agree with you on the star rating. That is one of the requests I spoke of earlier that has gained a HUGE mass of support. I guess the point I was trying to make is in all fairness Serato should pan out these "mass requests" ASAP so we can get to the nitty gritty "fine tune" ones.
cheekyme 2:03 PM - 10 June, 2015
Hi

Quote:
Three questions though.
1.) Have you done this always as in since SSL and if so
2.) Has it been a smooth process from the start and furthermore
3.) Did this function as you wanted with SSL?

1. Yes. Ever since ditching Vinyl :'( (as I was getting mailed mainly cd's), I have always used iTunes to organise my music & burn discs. So I was pretty much good to go!

2. Right from the off with SSL, my music was just there!! A few niggles along the way (updated iTunes versions etc.) but I would say it has been fairly flawless. I know from these forums that many dj's have suffered missing crates, accidentally deleting stuff, needing to rebuild databases etc..

3. In both SSL & SDJ it has functioned equally as well.

Apart from my current gripe of course!! :)