Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

AKAI AMX volume

M-POP 8:39 PM - 8 June, 2015
Hi does anyone know why my AMX would have started sounding quieter? All the knobs and settings are same as normal, all I can think is that its a computer issue or could it be something to do with it being bus powered? (I don't know know much about digital doing as been on vinyl for 18 years) Any help much appreciated!

PS thinking of buying a new controller which is louder..... Is avoiding BUS POWERED the way to go? Thanks!

PPS - my laptop is a new 2014 MACBOOK AIR 4gb
Serato, Support
Chez P 7:55 AM - 9 June, 2015
Hey M-POP,

One of my colleagues had this exact problem. He fixed the issue by connecting the AMX to a **wall-powered** USB hub. If you could borrow one, try out this workaround and report back here with your results - that would be great.

This could be related to the AMX being bus powered, but we're unsure at this stage. I will look through our database tomorrow for more information on this issue, as I'm currently out of the office at the moment.

If this workaround doesn't fix your issue, please get in touch with support and we will try our best to troubleshoot your issue, but please understand that we only deal with Serato software support and this sounding to be a full hardware issue.

Link to support >>> support.serato.com

All the best.
Logisticalstyles 12:58 PM - 9 June, 2015
One of the channels on my AMX starts off low when I first launch DJ but the volume comes back once I move the filter knob. I'm used to that now.
M-POP 7:15 PM - 9 June, 2015
Thanks folks, now googling usb hubs... will report back after the weekend!
Serato, Support
Chez P 1:33 AM - 10 June, 2015
Yo Logisticalstyles,

Quote:
One of the channels on my AMX starts off low when I first launch DJ but the volume comes back once I move the filter knob. I'm used to that now.

Did you ever report this issue to support? If so, what is the support ticket number?

Cheers man!

Quote:
Thanks folks, now googling usb hubs... will report back after the weekend!

Thanks M-POP, looking forward to hearing back from you.
Logisticalstyles 3:00 PM - 10 June, 2015
No I didn't report it as an issue. It's a pretty minor thing and all I have to do is move a knob to resolve it.
Serato, Support
Chez P 12:24 AM - 11 June, 2015
Quote:
No I didn't report it as an issue. It's a pretty minor thing and all I have to do is move a knob to resolve it.

I understand, but it would be great for us to know about these issues so we can document them for ourselves and other users. If you ever have any future issues with hardware or software, please let us know.

Cheers man!
M-POP 11:03 AM - 22 June, 2015
The USB powered by ac adapter doesn't seem to have made things significantly more louder. I wonder if it's because I use a MacBook Air 11" rather than a pro
Tommy Deem 3:55 PM - 22 June, 2015
it dosen't make a difference, use external mixer to power up ur volume if needed,
M-POP 5:13 PM - 22 June, 2015
It's already in an external mixer in the club. It's in the Line on its own channel.

Still not much left to play with volume wise Before that channel starts going red so I have to turn it down. I'm sending the unit back anyway to Akai will see if it's needs tlc
Tommy Deem 5:32 PM - 22 June, 2015
So the signal is okay if u can hit red in external mixer line. Propably the external mixer has issues then. I hit -7 with my external mixer master output at the stage and it's more than enough.
M-POP 6:05 PM - 22 June, 2015
No idea really. I play in 3 different venues and each mixer it's the same hence thinking it must be my set up. Venue mixers are usually bit unloved though. Will look into it. Cheers Tommy
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:25 AM - 23 June, 2015
Quote:
Hey M-POP can you check the output volume of the AMX under your Audio devices in Audio Midi Setup just to make sure it is set to full. Ran into this myself a couple weeks ag

Tracking - had this similar issue this past weekend - the AKai was hitting red but was pretty quiet. I also run it into the Line In of another mixer (4 channel cheapo Barringer - clubs house mixer) so not a huge issue.

Will try some of the suggestions above except the powered Hub next time I play there.

I luv that little mixer but it (and Serato DJ) has few quirks and issues
Logisticalstyles 12:52 PM - 23 June, 2015
I guess I've been pretty lucky with mine so far. I've only used it out at gigs where I was just playing background music. Each time it's been fine. I mainly use it at home for making mixes and practicing. And I always bring it along as a piece of backup gear in case my mixer or SL box craps out on me.

The only consistent quirk I've noticed is the right turntable is always initially very low until I move the filter knob. Then after that the volume jumps up to match the left turntable.
Bailey Intabeats 7:59 AM - 11 May, 2016
Hi all. I just bought myself an AMX, noticed the low volume ouput, googled for a solution and found this thread. I decided fix the low volume problem by buying a Topping NX2 headphone amplifier to boost the AMX output signal before plugging it into my external mixer. From what I see using it at home it's doubled the volume and is delivering a clear sound. I've yet to test it in a club.