DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

RCF,EV,QSC,YAMAHA,Behringer Speaker Shoot Out

Joee 3:49 PM - 7 June, 2015
s1285.photobucket.com

speakers in order left to right:

subs: QSC KW181 & RCF Art 905-AS

tops: RCF Evox 8, Behringer B112D, EV ZLX12P, Yamaha DXR12, RCF FD12-a, QSC K12, RCF Art 310-A

testing while not the optimal scenario we made do….we had speakers but forgot to bring the DDJ SZ, we used a iPhone into a mackie 1202VLZ4 & outputted to the speakers for music playback

we didn't have a actual SPL meter, so we used another iPhone with a SPL meter APP to musure DB levels, i wish the APP would have gave us frequency response so i could have gotten a measurement of how low the subs actually went …all measurements were done about 6 feet away directly in front of each speaker

we started out testing the subs, tested each sub with three different songs & let the entire song play while recording SPL, songs were

Usher - Daddy's Home

Drake - The Motto

Cali Swag District - teach me how to dougie

the KW181 normal mode (deep mode off) reached a maximum SPL of 103db with the first two songs & 102db with the last song

the 905-AS set to 80Hz reached a maximum SPL of 102db with all three songs

as for witch sub goes lower? to my ears along with the owner of the KW, they were both neck & neck it was hard to tell a difference between the 15" & the 18" ……..i have to say i'm pretty pleased that my 15" went toe to toe with they very popular KW181

i'm going to make this a two part review so i'll post the results of the tops boxes tomorrow
pdidy 11:00 PM - 7 June, 2015
Quote:
Usher - Daddy's Home

i.imgur.com
Joee 11:30 PM - 7 June, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Usher - Daddy's Home

i.imgur.com

lol…….i got from you

stay tuned you will be very interested to hear about the dxr12 vs k12

put them k12's up for sale ASAP!
Rebelguy 11:53 PM - 7 June, 2015
there have been numerous dxr12 vs k12 shootouts. Many people favor Yamaha but QSC still has a huge following. I'm not sure this test will cause a huge sell off of K12s.
Joee 12:03 AM - 8 June, 2015
Quote:
there have been numerous dxr12 vs k12 shootouts. Many people favor Yamaha but QSC still has a huge following. I'm not sure this test will cause a huge sell off of K12s.

correct…..but pdidy has been debating selling his k12 for dxr12

the owner of the k12 favored the qsc over all the 12" two ways….funny how owning a product can make your ears think it's the best option
Rebelguy 12:22 AM - 8 June, 2015
Like RCF owners? Lol.
Joee 12:44 AM - 8 June, 2015
Quote:
Like RCF owners? Lol.

lol……….well you will hear my thoughts tomorrow …..like i said before i don't make things up
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:41 AM - 8 June, 2015
Quote:
Like RCF owners? Lol.

This.....
 6 2:45 AM - 8 June, 2015
Quote:
Like RCF owners? Lol.

Ha! lmao

nm
DJ Val-BKNY11203 4:11 AM - 8 June, 2015
Quote:
Like RCF owners? Lol.

I just laughed out loud for real.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:01 PM - 8 June, 2015
Man, the HILARITY of it all...

Cats NOW need to try and "Prove" that they give "Legit" information because they have an asterisk (*) as a suffix to their name...

Quote:
funny how owning a product can make your ears think it's the best option

Quote:
like i said before i don't make things up

lmao. man please.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:18 PM - 8 June, 2015
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:34 PM - 8 June, 2015
Quote:
lol…….i got from you

Here's something ELSE you got from me
Quote:
stay tuned

smh...

Quote:
you will be very interested to hear about the dxr12 vs k12

put them k12's up for sale ASAP!

That's right Pdidy, trust Joee* !!!, he will give you a COMPLETELY unbiased opinion of what speaker YOU should buy and or get rid of!

Hurry before the sale expires!

lmao.
Joee 2:56 PM - 8 June, 2015
@JDforKing dxr12 vs fd12 as per your request back in april, it took me a little longer than i expected, i had to wait for a day that the catering hall had no events scheduled & the kw181 owners was free….

Part 2:

again we used usher - daddy's home & drake - the motto

RCF Evox 8: song one peaked @ 100db song two peaked @ 102db

@ this point the owner of the k12 was running out of time so we tested the rest of the speaker with only one song usher - daddy's home

Behringer B112D: 97db

EV ZLX12P: 96db

Yamaha DXR12: 99db

RCF FD12-A: 99db

QSC k12: 98db

RCF Art 310-A the only 10" in the shoot out: 99db

everyone agreed the Evox 8 was the best sound out the bunch, no surprise there it's really not a fair comparison since it has a sub vs 10" 12" two ways on a stick

what was a surprise to us all was the Art 310-A ,that thing was screening & stayed crystal clear doing so

moving on we packed all the speakers & left out dxr12 fd12-a & k12

we started out testing the dxr12 vs k12 flat (no bass boast on) when switching back forth between the two it was abundantly clear that the dxr was the better sounding speaker night & day difference

the dxr12 was cleaner/clearer/louder than the k12, when comparing the two the qsc seemed as if the horn was covered, the clarity just wasn't there

moving on, we tested the dxr12/kw181 vs the fd12-a/art 905-as & i have to admit the dxr12 outshines the fd12-a ,again "cleaner/clearer/louder" the rcf started to break up a bit @ clipping ...the dxr12 IMHO just might be the best $550 speaker out there right now for dj use when used with a sub

moving on, we decided to test the dxr12 vs the fd12-a in full range mode, here the results were a little different …..while the dxr12 had won the previous test in output/clarity, this time the fd12-a won in bass…..it had a much fuller bass along with better mid bass response

this is a moot point IMO as i believe every single one of us uses subs…..

@ the end of the day i have to say this RCF fan boy has to give it up to the DXR series @$550 is there a better 12" two way out there? i now see why JDforKing & al pulin like these dxr's so much…...
JDforKing 3:15 PM - 8 June, 2015
The rcf fd12a maybe more comparable to the yamaha dbr12 and the yamaha dxr12 maybe comparable to the rcf hd12a. Just a bit of information for all.

I actually own a pair of yamaha dxr8s , dxr12s and a pair of yamaha dxs12. I must say they are great speakers. I recently had a woofer on the dxr12 blow. I'm going through the process to see how yamaha goes about covering these speakers with their 7 year warranty. The authorized service center i was told to take it to said yamaha may not cover the blown woofer. The blown woofer definitely wasn't a mistake on my end. The other speaker was fine and i keep them out of limit, and if they occasionally limit i would think the protection on the speaker would stop the woofer from blowing.

I'll definitely keep everyone posted on how yamaha handles this warranty situation.
Joee 3:20 PM - 8 June, 2015
Quote:
The rcf fd12a maybe more comparable to the yamaha dbr12

right you are

www.chucklevins.com

www.chucklevins.com
Rebelguy 3:47 PM - 8 June, 2015
I am guessing Yamaha must have fudged their numbers a bit as they are listed as a max SPL of 132db while the Evox system is listed as a max SPL of 128.

One thing to keep in mind is that you can get almost three DXR12 cabinets for the price of one Evox 8.
Joee 4:22 PM - 8 June, 2015
Quote:
I am guessing Yamaha must have fudged their numbers a bit as they are listed as a max SPL of 132db while the Evox system is listed as a max SPL of 128.

i think if i would have tested the dxr12 in high pass mode vs the evox 8 it would have got just as loud if not louder

Quote:
One thing to keep in mind is that you can get almost three DXR12 cabinets for the price of one Evox 8.

defiantly better to have 3 dxr12's vs one evox 8, my decision to buy evox 8's was based on portability ease of use & fast set up/break down time, price wasn't a factor

for the type of events i do they were the best solution
pdidy 5:22 PM - 8 June, 2015
Quote:
I actually own a pair of yamaha dxr8s , dxr12s

What's the difference between these two ?
Al Poulin 5:36 PM - 8 June, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

about 4". :-)

One is an 8" active, while the other is a 12" active cabinet. They sound identical above 100hz, but the DXR12 has significantly more low frequency capability used full range at high levels.

Al
Joee 5:44 PM - 8 June, 2015
Quote:

lol
Quote:
One is an 8" active, while the other is a 12" active cabinet. They sound identical above 100hz, but the DXR12 has significantly more low frequency capability used full range at high levels.

good stuff sir….

@ pdidy

the low end that the dxr15 puts out might have you thinking it was a zxa5 i call them the poor mans zxa5 since they can be found for $650
DJFree 5:48 PM - 8 June, 2015
Quote:

the low end that the dxr15 puts out might have you thinking it was a zxa5 i call them the poor mans zxa5 since they can be found for $650

Where can you find the DXR 15's for that price? I had them before and sold mine. I have a DJ I work with now that needs a set of speakers.
Joee 5:53 PM - 8 June, 2015
^ PAS you have to haggle a bit
pdidy 6:21 PM - 8 June, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Al

lol @ 4"

so would you say the 8 gets as loud as the 12 above 100hz within a few decibels ?

I'm interested in these for DJ monitor usage only so 100 Hz and up is all I really care about and with the money saved I can get a few more 8"s if the output is close to the 12".
deezlee 6:25 PM - 8 June, 2015
The Evox will likely have a relative higher spl at a distance because of the farther throw due to it being a line array.
Al Poulin 6:52 PM - 8 June, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Al

lol @ 4"

so would you say the 8 gets as loud as the 12 above 100hz within a few decibels ?

My little DXR8s get damn loud when hi-passed. The DXR10 might be a better choice however as they have a monitor angle (the DXR8s don't) and apparetly put out a few more DBs as well. (131 vs 129 IIRC). Of course, those figures are manufacturer's, but are measured apparently - possibly for 1/1000th of a second before self-destruction and with the limitiers de-activated, but still. The DXR10 is really compact as well and does surprisingly well full range for really small events.

Al
Joee 6:56 PM - 8 June, 2015
@ al have you done a comparison between your dxr12 & art 312-a?
JDforKing 7:05 PM - 8 June, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Al

lol @ 4"

My little DXR8s get damn loud when hi-passed. The DXR10 might be a better choice however as they have a monitor angle (the DXR8s don't) and apparetly put out a few more DBs as well. (131 vs 129 IIRC). Of course, those figures are manufacturer's, but are measured apparently - possibly for 1/1000th of a second before self-destruction and with the limitiers de-activated, but still. The DXR10 is really compact as well and does surprisingly well full range for really small events.

Al

That's exactly what i was going to suggest. I would also look into the yamaha dbr 10 and 12 if you are looking for something for monitor use only. From what i've read they don't go as loud but are less expensive and lighter. You might be better off with a larger woofer for the type of music most people play on your system.
Al Poulin 7:12 PM - 8 June, 2015
Quote:
@ al have you done a comparison between your dxr12 & art 312-a?

I own the 310As, but did directly compare the 312A and DXR12 with my dealer when the DXR first came out and in all honesty, they both sounded equally great and very similarly hi-fi... I couldn't have picked a winner based on sound quality - in the quick test we did anyway. I do prefer the finish on the RCF and the transducers are likely of better quality, but the mixer section, warranty and looks of the DXR made my choice easy. I use my 310As almost exclusively for my older folks events - I regularly play for golden age clubs in my area - and one set of the 310As on stage can handle up to 170 old folks (or more). They are surprisingly loud and capable for 10s, as your test confirmed. Here's a video of these types of events I often do - and in this hall :

Watchwww.youtube.com

Al
Joee 7:22 PM - 8 June, 2015
thanks

Quote:
I regularly play for golden age clubs in my area - and one set of the 310As on stage can handle up to 170 old folks (or more). They are surprisingly loud and capable for 10s, as your test confirmed

dude all 3 of us jumped back like WHOA

we could not believe how loud that little 10" was
Al Poulin 7:45 PM - 8 June, 2015
It won this shootout in terms of output (placed second for sound IIRC) :

fbtaudio.co.uk

Al
Joee 8:07 PM - 8 June, 2015
Quote:
It won this shootout in terms of output (placed second for sound IIRC) :

fbtaudio.co.uk

Al

no surprising at all considering it was louder than some of the 12" in my shoot out
Al Poulin 2:26 AM - 9 June, 2015
Thanks for taking the time to do this shootout Joee. I'm happy that it wasn't a Yamaha fanboy that was doing it, or it may have looked biased. I've been raving about, and recommending the DXRs since they first came out and my dealer was nice enough to let me test them. They simply have that sound quality I've been looking for so long.

For playback music, and in my home, my DXR15s are simply my favorite overall full range speaker. I listen to all of my music through them these days. In my "studio", I can listen to them up close and hear a surprising amount of detail, considering these are PA speakers and this was actually one of the first things I noticed about them when initially reviewing them.

My little RCFs are great performers too, with terrific hi-fi sound and output (as you've seen), but I've always wanted more than just the single XLR in and out on the back. The versatility of the 3 channel mixer on even my little DXR8s makes them suitable for so many applications.

I owned a pair of B212As many years ago, and while they did pretty good with subs handling the low end, I found them to limit pretty quickly, and there was NO DEEP BASS at all used stand alone - they are really tiny plastic cabinets after all.

Anyway, good job on your comparison and happy you got to see what the DXRs can do.

Al
Joee 12:09 PM - 9 June, 2015
Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to do this shootout Joee.

no problem

Quote:
Anyway, good job on your comparison

thank you sir
SG SOUNDS 1:49 PM - 9 June, 2015
I don't know why many peeps sleep on the DXR line there are the best sounding speakers in its price range..to be honest they sound just as good or even better that some of the higher end speakers the only diffrence is the higher output in some of those speakers...In terms of sound quality not many speakers sound as good as the DXR series especially for dj playback

Ever since i saw Al Poulin's review on the speakers i went out and bought a pair of dxr15's
they never failed me yet...
Joee 1:56 PM - 9 June, 2015
Quote:
I don't know why many peeps sleep on the DXR line there are the best sounding speakers in its price range..to be honest they sound just as good or even better that some of the higher end speakers the only diffrence is the higher output in some of those speakers...In terms of sound quality not many speakers sound as good as the DXR series especially for dj playback

Ever since i saw Al Poulin's review on the speakers i went out and bought a pair of dxr15's

you own or do own zxa5 correct? or have used them?

my opinion is that the dxr15 is the poor man's zxa5 while not as loud the low end it puts out is pretty nice

you could most certainly do parties with just a pair & no sub, i'm just curious to hear you take on the zxa5 vs dxr15?
Joee 1:57 PM - 9 June, 2015
Quote:
you own

you've owned
SG SOUNDS 10:47 PM - 9 June, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

my opinion is that the dxr15 is the poor man's zxa5 while not as loud the low end it puts out is pretty nice

you could most certainly do parties with just a pair & no sub, i'm just curious to hear you take on the zxa5 vs dxr15?

Yes i use to own them...The only thing the zxa5 have over the dxr15 is it goes plenty louder before it starts to limit out....I wished the dxr15 could get as loud as the zxa5....play them both together at moderate levels you get a sweeter sound from the dxr15 i don't care what nobody say...
Joee 10:54 PM - 9 June, 2015
Quote:
Yes i use to own them...The only thing the zxa5 have over the dxr15 is it goes plenty louder before it starts to limit out....I wished the dxr15 could get as loud as the zxa5....play them both together at moderate levels you get a sweeter sound from the dxr15 i don't care what nobody say...

cool, dxr15 is for sure a great speaker

& what are your thoughts on the bass output when used stand alone

IMO, they came very close to the zxa5 in bass output
SG SOUNDS 11:00 PM - 9 June, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes in smaller parties i use a pair with no subs and the bass is incredible...but you could only push them so far before the limiter starts to kick in...even when the limiter start to kick in it don't degrade the sound quality of the music..at high levels the dxr15 still sound crispy clear and punchy bass..

Ive been to a beach party and the dude was using 4 of them with no subs...it sounded like a zxa5 on steroids but clear and punchy low end...each speaker was set to the 12oclock position and coupled together...Had me thinking of buying 2 more or maybe 2 dxr12's or 10's
SG SOUNDS 11:05 PM - 9 June, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

cool, dxr15 is for sure a great speaker

& what are your thoughts on the bass output when used stand alone

IMO, they came very close to the zxa5 in bass output

stand alone the bass output on the zxa5 is louder and travels further...the dxr15 aint that far behind though...sometimes i set up with them directly behind me on sticks and they hurt my fucking ears..
SG SOUNDS 11:08 PM - 9 June, 2015
You couldn't of said it any better jose the dxr15 is a poor mans zxa5
Joee 11:13 PM - 9 June, 2015
Quote:
stand alone the bass output on the zxa5 is louder and travels further...the dxr15 aint that far behind though...sometimes i set up with them directly behind me on sticks and they hurt my fucking ears..

thank you sir ,this is why i always called the dxr15 the poor man's zxa5

Quote:
Ive been to a beach party and the dude was using 4 of them with no subs...it sounded like a zxa5 on steroids but clear and punchy low end

NICE, where was this speaker when i spent $1,300 on my zxa5's……lol

you know back when i used to run passive system I've always thought the yamaha club series was a great speaker…..while I've never owned them I've played on them many times & there were nice usa.yamaha.com

Quote:
You couldn't of said it any better jose the dxr15 is a poor mans zxa5

thank you sir
Joee 11:17 PM - 9 June, 2015
Quote:
sometimes i set up with them directly behind me on sticks and they hurt my fucking ears..

dude please don't do that! we use are ears for a living

i remember i did this one time cause i has no choice with my ev zx4 my ear was ringing for one day

i will never ever set a speaker up behind me again…..thankfully my hearing is still in tact
dj_soo 7:30 AM - 10 June, 2015
have both the DXR10s and QSC K12s and I've much prefer the DXRs when paired with my nx720s's (ls720ps without the rat fur).

Everyone in my city is still all about QSCs so I keep the K12s just as a rental set and everyone is always shocked that I prefer the Yamaha's. Lotta ignorant DJs in my city tho who still assume that the bigger the speaker, the better it has to be...
Gio Alex 7:48 PM - 15 June, 2015
Totally posted this:

serato.com

Not knowing you guys had a thread on this topic already.
Joee 8:16 PM - 15 June, 2015
Quote:
Totally posted this:

serato.com

lol…..

no problem defiantly get the dxr12
Gio Alex 8:17 PM - 15 June, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Totally posted this:

serato.com

lol…..

no problem defiantly get the dxr12

lol Sold! Thanks man
djdonnydee 6:56 PM - 16 June, 2015
Yes! i made the right buy month ago and still havent tried them out not even a test run lol just put them in their new rolling gator bags
JDforKing 4:25 PM - 16 August, 2015
Hey Joee, i just purchased a rcf fd12a in mint condition for $300 on eBay. I couldn't pass up the deal. lol
Joee 4:31 PM - 16 August, 2015
good deal, let me know what you think of them & how you think they fair against your dxr's
JDforKing 7:57 PM - 13 September, 2015
Quote:
good deal, let me know what you think of them & how you think they fair against your dxr's

The fd12a is a great sounding speaker for the price. I purchased a used one on eBay for $300 shipped and got a price quote for a new one for $444 shipped. Compared to the Yamaha dxr12 the rcf has better bass response. I think the bigger box of the fd12a makes the difference.
Joee 8:02 PM - 13 September, 2015
Quote:
The fd12a is a great sounding speaker for the price. I purchased a used one on eBay for $300 shipped and got a price quote for a new one for $444 shipped. Compared to the Yamaha dxr12 the rcf has better bass response. I think the bigger box of the fd12a makes the difference.

good stuff, push it to it's limits than push the dxr12 to it's limits tell me if you still like the sound of the rcf better

i found the dxr better @ high spl ...not as smooth sounding but i liked the dxr better, agreed on bass response that 12" fd sounds very similar to a 15"
JDforKing 8:11 PM - 13 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

good stuff, push it to it's limits than push the dxr12 to it's limits tell me if you still like the sound of the rcf better

i found the dxr better @ high spl ...not as smooth sounding but i liked the dxr better, agreed on bass response that 12" fd sounds very similar to a 15"

I don't necessarily like the sound of the rcf better but I do think the rcf is probably a better buy at $888 a pair new.

I actually had to use the 7 year warranty on the dxr and I had the woofer and hf replaced at no extra cost. The service repair shop took a while getting to the speaker because they were backed up but other than that the transaction went well.
Joee 8:23 PM - 13 September, 2015
so yamaha took car of you! cool nice to know they actually stand behind the 7 year warranty
pdidy 9:29 PM - 13 September, 2015
Quote:
I actually had to use the 7 year warranty on the dxr and I had the woofer and hf replaced at no extra cost.

Do you know how/why you blew the speaker ?
JDforKing 12:54 AM - 19 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
I actually had to use the 7 year warranty on the dxr and I had the woofer and hf replaced at no extra cost.

Do you know how/why you blew the speaker ?

No, the service repair guy said it may have been dirty power. I always keep an eye on my volume and limit light on my speakers. There was no sign of any kind of stress on the speaker.
Macpall 12:58 PM - 1 February, 2016
Quote:
@JDforKing dxr12 vs fd12 as per your request back in april, it took me a little longer than i expected, i had to wait for a day that the catering hall had no events scheduled & the kw181 owners was free….

Part 2:

again we used usher - daddy's home & drake - the motto

RCF Evox 8: song one peaked @ 100db song two peaked @ 102db

@ this point the owner of the k12 was running out of time so we tested the rest of the speaker with only one song usher - daddy's home

Behringer B112D: 97db

EV ZLX12P: 96db

Yamaha DXR12: 99db

RCF FD12-A: 99db

QSC k12: 98db

RCF Art 310-A the only 10" in the shoot out: 99db

everyone agreed the Evox 8 was the best sound out the bunch, no surprise there it's really not a fair comparison since it has a sub vs 10" 12" two ways on a stick

what was a surprise to us all was the Art 310-A ,that thing was screening & stayed crystal clear doing so

moving on we packed all the speakers & left out dxr12 fd12-a & k12

we started out testing the dxr12 vs k12 flat (no bass boast on) when switching back forth between the two it was abundantly clear that the dxr was the better sounding speaker night & day difference

the dxr12 was cleaner/clearer/louder than the k12, when comparing the two the qsc seemed as if the horn was covered, the clarity just wasn't there

moving on, we tested the dxr12/kw181 vs the fd12-a/art 905-as & i have to admit the dxr12 outshines the fd12-a ,again "cleaner/clearer/louder" the rcf started to break up a bit @ clipping ...the dxr12 IMHO just might be the best $550 speaker out there right now for dj use when used with a sub

moving on, we decided to test the dxr12 vs the fd12-a in full range mode, here the results were a little different …..while the dxr12 had won the previous test in output/clarity, this time the fd12-a won in bass…..it had a much fuller bass along with better mid bass response

this is a moot point IMO as i believe every single one of us uses subs…..

@ the end of the day i have to say this RCF fan boy has to give it up to the DXR series @$550 is there a better 12" two way out there? i now see why JDforKing & al pulin like these dxr's so much…...

Yeah the RCF 310's are a nice loud sounding speaker but lack quite a bit of bass so for me this would only be used for very small gigs or monitoring should have tested the 312a not sure why you would put a 10" up against other 12's.

You can measure the spl level but that's only part of it , i just tested my DXR12's today
( before today i previously only had one ) and with extended bass switch engaged they sound great even in a dead concrete garage with tin roof.

The only thing which i dislike a bit is the lack of higher mids other than this they really put out, funny after all the speakers that have been released by different companies since the DXR12's & K12's no one has come up with speakers that are as cheap, light and powerful they're both great in their own way and the Yamaha is cheaper.

I'm hoping that the new FBT X-LITES ARE AS GOOD AT HIGH SPL LEVELS, will sell the Yamaha's if something better comes out in the same price range keeping in mind that these are still only for my smaller gigs as i have Presonus 328ai's & DB Technologies SUB18H for major gigs.
SG SOUNDS 11:20 PM - 2 February, 2016
anybody compared the dxr12 or dsr112 vs the etx12 yet?
Rebelguy 11:48 PM - 2 February, 2016
I think the consensus over on the prosound boards is that the DSR112s are the better boxes. I've tested the JBL 812Ps vs the ETX-12P and the JBLs sounded better.
pdidy 3:36 AM - 3 February, 2016
Quote:
I think the consensus over on the prosound boards is that the DSR112s are the better boxes. I've tested the JBL 812Ps vs the ETX-12P and the JBLs sounded better.

YEP, A LOT of pro sound guys are cosigning the DSR112.
Gio Alex 10:28 PM - 9 March, 2016
Question for pdidy, Joee and co. Might be a silly question.

Got a pair of ELX-115P and was thinking of purchasing a pair of EKX-15SP subs. Anything wrong with pairing an ELX top with an EKX bottom? Or should I just up my tops to EKX series?

Was using a ELX-118P sub before but prefer to just use two 15 subs with a pole rather than speakers stands.
Joee 10:35 PM - 9 March, 2016
Quote:
Anything wrong with pairing an ELX top with an EKX bottom?

absolutely not……. remember ekx is just the upgraded elx, you will be fine! ,i would prefer the 18 subs to pair with the 15 tops , but you will be fine
Gio Alex 10:51 PM - 9 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Anything wrong with pairing an ELX top with an EKX bottom?

absolutely not……. remember ekx is just the upgraded elx, you will be fine! ,i would prefer the 18 subs to pair with the 15 tops , but you will be fine

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah I hear ya on pairing the 18 subs with 15 tops. I was just thinking in terms of space to pack and so on. The EKX15sp sub is shorter than the ELX118p. Then again there's the EKX18sp.
Joee 10:59 PM - 9 March, 2016
man get you some RCF's ………lol
pdidy 11:01 PM - 9 March, 2016
I have no issue with it. But I'm sure if one wants to nit-pick they could anything.
pdidy 11:02 PM - 9 March, 2016
Find anything
Gio Alex 11:08 PM - 9 March, 2016
Quote:
Find anything

True, very true.
Gio Alex 11:10 PM - 9 March, 2016
Quote:

Which ones?

I'm not balling by the way so can't justify the evox series, yet. But I feel like portability wise it would be a dream setup. Pair of evox 12.
Gio Alex 11:13 PM - 9 March, 2016
Quote:

Lol which tops and bottoms would you recommend?
Joee 12:16 AM - 10 March, 2016
Quote:

thats a subjective question

if you have bank! this is what you want ……mind you this is in the lower price range of rcf

www.rcf.it

www.rcf.it

if you have a modest budget

www.rcf.it

www.rcf.it

but you know my favorite speaker now a days is

www.rcf.it
pdidy 12:19 AM - 10 March, 2016
Quote:
if you have bank! this is what you want ……mind you this is in the lower price range of rcf

www.rcf.it

www.rcf.it

If I ever get bored of my VRX system, this is my next system (4 tops X 4 subs).
DJ Val-BKNY11203 12:20 AM - 10 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

www.rcf.it

www.rcf.it

www.rcf.it

www.rcf.it

www.rcf.it

No 745a recommendation?
Gio Alex 1:31 AM - 10 March, 2016
Quote:

www.rcf.it

www.rcf.it

Now you got me rethinking things, damn it. Subs I'm into.

So you'd go with ART 312-A MK III over a ELX or EKX 15?
Gio Alex 1:44 AM - 10 March, 2016
Quote:

www.rcf.it

www.rcf.it

Also, wouldn't the RCF HD12-A be a better match with the SUB 705-AS II?

The inexpensive price tag rcf art 312a MKIII worries me. lol
JDforKing 3:34 AM - 10 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

www.rcf.it

www.rcf.it

You could also get the rcf fd12 instead of the rcf hd12 to save a little money. I bought one brand new for $44 from chuck levins. I also found a used one on eBay in excellent condition for $300 so I paid $744 for the pair. I think along with the 705-AS that would make for a nice system.
Gio Alex 3:41 AM - 10 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

www.rcf.it

www.rcf.it

You could also get the rcf fd12 instead of the rcf hd12 to save a little money. I bought one brand new for $44 from chuck levins. I also found a used one on eBay in excellent condition for $300 so I paid $744 for the pair. I think along with the 705-AS that would make for a nice system.

I think you meant 440 or 449. lol but anyway, how do they comport to the art-312?
Gio Alex 3:44 AM - 10 March, 2016
Quote:
how do they comport to the art-312?

WOW lmao. Compare***
Scully DJ Services 3:46 AM - 10 March, 2016
Please do yourself a favor and do NOT buy EKX18SPs. I recently got to play with one in a Guitar Center and IMO it had little output and had barely any thump to it. Also, this was after playing with all onboard settings and finally settling on live mode and a 100hz crossover. Sounded boomy and just kinda thuddy. It didnt go really low and didnt hit you in the chest at all. My PRX718XLF would run circles around 2-3 of them IMO. It kicks so much harder, sounds better, goes lower, and gets so much louder. Based on that, it is my educated guess that the EKX15SP is even worse. If I were you I'd step up to the ETX15SP or one of Joee's RCFs.
Gio Alex 3:49 AM - 10 March, 2016
Ugh. Crushing dreams man.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 4:19 AM - 10 March, 2016
Quote:
Please do yourself a favor and do NOT buy EKX18SPs. I recently got to play with one in a Guitar Center and IMO it had little output and had barely any thump to it. Also, this was after playing with all onboard settings and finally settling on live mode and a 100hz crossover. Sounded boomy and just kinda thuddy. It didnt go really low and didnt hit you in the chest at all. My PRX718XLF would run circles around 2-3 of them IMO. It kicks so much harder, sounds better, goes lower, and gets so much louder. Based on that, it is my educated guess that the EKX15SP is even worse. If I were you I'd step up to the ETX15SP or one of Joee's RCFs.

I call Bullshit. If you were talking about the ELX118 yes. Not the EKX. Everyone who has listened to EKX says they are on par or better than the KW181. Which s on the same level with the 718XLF.
Gio Alex 4:28 AM - 10 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I call Bullshit. If you were talking about the ELX118 yes. Not the EKX. Everyone who has listened to EKX says they are on par or better than the KW181. Which s on the same level with the 718XLF.

Thank god. I was about to cry cuz I was really set on the EKX series.

Still considering the RCF suggestions as well.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 4:32 AM - 10 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thank god. I was about to cry cuz I was really set on the EKX series.

Still considering the RCF suggestions as well.

I actually went to listen to them finally 2 weeks ago. The EKX & the KW181 are very very close in sound. So for the price the EKX is a win. I may finally breakdown & get 2.
Scully DJ Services 12:45 PM - 10 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Thats cool, and all; I was just sharing my personal experience with them. The one that I listened to was in no way as good as a KW181. Who knows though, something could've been wrong with the unit.
JDforKing 1:08 PM - 10 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

www.rcf.it

www.rcf.it

I think you meant 440 or 449. lol but anyway, how do they comport to the art-312?

Correction $444 is what i paid.
JDforKing 1:22 PM - 10 March, 2016
Quote:

I actually have an ev ekx15sp sub. It's no 18 inch sub but it's works wonders. I use it with 2 yamaha dxr8 as a micro system for weddings up to 150 people. It's definitely a sub that can be used to round out sound. This system sounds better than most 15inch speakers on sticks and is lighter and more compact. With all that being said, i can't see how the ev ekx18sp wouldn't have a quality amount of output after my experience with the ekx15sp. The output of the ev ekx15sp works well for me and i'm assuming the ekx18sp is better.
Scully DJ Services 1:26 PM - 10 March, 2016
Wow, then I guess the unit I used was damaged. The output on it was pretty horrible and it just sounded bad overall.
Joee 1:48 PM - 10 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

www.rcf.it

www.rcf.it

do not let the inexpensive price tag fool you cheap? yes! i paid less than $800 for a pair

but one of the best sounding 12" I've ever owned ,i use to be an ev fan boy I'm now an rcf man & the 312-a is what started it

Quote:
Quote:

www.rcf.it

www.rcf.it

LOL…… i.imgur.com

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

www.rcf.it

www.rcf.it

www.rcf.it

www.rcf.it

www.rcf.it

No 745a recommendation?

great sounding speaker……but i prefer 12" i would use the 745 if i wasn't using subs
pdidy 1:50 PM - 10 March, 2016
Unless you're in a store that allows you total control over the gear being tested it's very difficult if not impossible to determine if your results are fair.

Your worst mistake is to trust a sales person because they can never be trusted as they always have a motives unknown to the customer.

it Is not difficult for a scheming sales person to alter the results of a A vs B demo when you consider all of the variable settings in new speakers today.

Their only goal is to make the sale, not to be your trusted friend.
DJ Guayo 2:12 PM - 10 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

www.rcf.it

www.rcf.it

I've been thinking about adding another pair of 8004s and adding a pair of RCF NX-L24A. I've also been peeping the RCF NXL44A. Haven't seen pricing in the US for the L44As.

Although I already have issues with venues telling me to turn down the volume. I may just add the NXL24A and use my HD32A as side fills
Scully DJ Services 3:42 PM - 10 March, 2016
@pdidy I had total control. The dude left to go help a customer so I had free reign for about 20 min. I checked everything in the signal chain and even tweaked the EQ a bunch on the X32 to try and help the low end. When that didnt help much, I even plugged my phone right into the sub and it still just sucked. My guess was that it was a bad unit.
pdidy 7:05 PM - 10 March, 2016
Quote:
@pdidy I had total control.

Quote:
My guess was that it was a bad unit

got it.
pdidy 7:17 PM - 10 March, 2016
By the way I was speaking in general to the less experienced user and was not questioning your findings.
Gio Alex 7:53 PM - 10 March, 2016
Quote:
By the way I was speaking in general to the less experienced user

Lowkey diss to me. oh snap!!! Haha nah, i'm messing. This is true and best way to put it. I am less experienced in the speaker toe to toe department but being a tech guy I'm learning super fast with the help of you guys and hard research.

Speaking of research and I found it shocking to hear the EKX series would be that bad. Just didn't make sense to me either. Especially considering it's the line right under the ETX, their flagship line. Correct me if I'm wrong please.
pdidy 8:10 PM - 10 March, 2016
I was really speaking from personal experience, I learned the hard way and I don't want people to repeat my mistakes and blow a lot of money and speakers.
Gio Alex 8:15 PM - 10 March, 2016
Quote:
I was really speaking from personal experience, I learned the hard way and I don't want people to repeat my mistakes and blow a lot of money and speakers.

Totally respect that, I know. I do the same with my friends.
Sharod 1:39 AM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:
Unless you're in a store that allows you total control over the gear being tested it's very difficult if not impossible to determine if your results are fair.

Your worst mistake is to trust a sales person because they can never be trusted as they always have a motives unknown to the customer.

it Is not difficult for a scheming sales person to alter the results of a A vs B demo when you consider all of the variable settings in new speakers today.

Their only goal is to make the sale, not to be your trusted friend.

So True. Just happened to me at Sam ash in queens. I told the sales rep to forget it and walked out. Gonna find another store that will A/B the way i want.
DJ Heir-Raid 2:37 AM - 11 March, 2016
I hear what everyone is saying on these shootouts. But there aren't to many companies out here that make a great not good but great all around speaker. A speaker that's great enough that you're not questioning your purchase 6 months down the line. I am a QSC guy and have been for a longtime. I use to be a Yamaha guy in my passive days and early stages of their active series, and as much as I like the DX's & DS's Line I'm not going backwards. (unless I come across a great deal of course! LOL). If you haven't noticed, most of these other companies i.e., EV that seem to come out with a new series every 6 months it seems like. They are all still trying to cut into QSC's market all these years later. QSC are the 1200"s of the active speaker line. When I decide to UPGRADE it will be to Yorkville more than likely. This is just my personal opinion of course. Meaning I'm more than satisfied with QSC.
Rebelguy 3:58 AM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:
I hear what everyone is saying on these shootouts. But there aren't to many companies out here that make a great not good but great all around speaker. A speaker that's great enough that you're not questioning your purchase 6 months down the line. I am a QSC guy and have been for a longtime. I use to be a Yamaha guy in my passive days and early stages of their active series, and as much as I like the DX's & DS's Line I'm not going backwards. (unless I come across a great deal of course! LOL). If you haven't noticed, most of these other companies i.e., EV that seem to come out with a new series every 6 months it seems like. They are all still trying to cut into QSC's market all these years later. QSC are the 1200"s of the active speaker line. When I decide to UPGRADE it will be to Yorkville more than likely. This is just my personal opinion of course. Meaning I'm more than satisfied with QSC.

You lost me at Yorkville.
Arjun B 4:16 AM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:
Same.... LOL
I live in Canada, where Yorkville is an abundant supply and can be rented for cheap. They're not the best, but they're not the worst either. They have good speakers and bad speakers, but generally speaking, you CAN get better speakers for the price.
DJ Heir-Raid 4:16 AM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

That's cool Rebelguy. Like I said...just my opinion
pdidy 4:18 AM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:
But there aren't to many companies out here that make a great not good but great all around speaker. A speaker that's great enough that you're not questioning your purchase 6 months down the line.

False: EV, JBL, RCF all have an excellent line of well made speakers with excellent sound quality.

Quote:
I use to be a Yamaha guy in my passive days and early stages of their active series, and as much as I like the DX's & DS's Line I'm not going backwards.

Big mistake but that's your loss and nobodies affected. Btw, many pro sound guys who are going active for the first time are choosing the DSR115 & DSR112 and speaking very highly of it.

Quote:
They are all still trying to cut into QSC's market all these years later.

True but you cant take down the king of dj speakers over night.
It should be noted that EV, JBL, RCF and Yamaha all have a line of speakers superior to QSC. The only thing they have not beaten QSC in is Time, QSC have been reliable and indestructible for 6 solid years. So that 6 year warranty was for real.....QSC has been king since 2010 but that time is clearly coming to an end if they don't do something very BIG quickly.

Quote:
QSC are the 1200"s of the active speaker line.

There has never been a better 1200 but there is already a better than QSC. Yes QSC owned the industry standard title since 2010 but nobody is buying them like before in their prime.

Quote:
When I decide to UPGRADE it will be to Yorkville more than likely.

Yorkville is no longer in the game other than their ls801p. EV, JBL, RCF and Yamaha is currently running things but there is no clear winner yet.
pdidy 4:25 AM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:

yep I was like media.giphy.com

Sounds like he's has been out of the speaker game since 2010 and just woke up :)
DJ Heir-Raid 4:36 AM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
But there aren't to many companies out here that make a great not good but great all around speaker. A speaker that's great enough that you're not questioning your purchase 6 months down the line.

False: EV, JBL, RCF all have an excellent line of well made speakers with excellent sound quality.

Quote:
I use to be a Yamaha guy in my passive days and early stages of their active series, and as much as I like the DX's & DS's Line I'm not going backwards.

Big mistake but that's your loss and nobodies affected. Btw, many pro sound guys who are going active for the first time are choosing the DSR115 & DSR112 and speaking very highly of it.

Quote:
They are all still trying to cut into QSC's market all these years later.

True but you cant take down the king of dj speakers over night.
It should be noted that EV, JBL, RCF and Yamaha all have a line of speakers superior to QSC. The only thing they have not beaten QSC in is Time, QSC have been reliable and indestructible for 6 solid years. So that 6 year warranty was for real.....QSC has been king since 2010 but that time is clearly coming to an end if they don't do something very BIG quickly.

Quote:
QSC are the 1200"s of the active speaker line.

There has never been a better 1200 but there is already a better than QSC. Yes QSC owned the industry standard title since 2010 but nobody is buying them like before in their prime.

Quote:
When I decide to UPGRADE it will be to Yorkville more than likely.

Yorkville is no longer in the game other than their ls801p. EV, JBL, RCF and Yamaha is currently running things but there is no clear winner yet.

pdidy I never said EV, JBL, RCF didn't have excellent lines of speakers but rather they are all still trying make the perfect speaker. But to there credit do give the consumer more options.

And I'm the game coach...The Elite series is still top notch regardless what year it is.
And P.S. I almost bought a pr of SRX818 to replace my LS 801. Lol
pdidy 4:52 AM - 11 March, 2016
Here's a little history of my yorkville days before I down sized and upgraded.
i26.photobucket.com
i26.photobucket.com
i26.photobucket.com

I still own and love my QSC k12s btw and EV-ZXA5'S i26.photobucket.com
pdidy 4:55 AM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:

And it would take 2 SRX818 to compete with the crazy output of the 801p.
DJ Heir-Raid 4:58 AM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Now that I would agree with pdidy. That's def one reason i didn't, also the shape is kinda awkward plus THAT WEIGHT!!! LOL
Rebelguy 5:18 AM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:

I wish this were true but according to a recent article on prosoundweb...

"The K12 continues to break QSC sales records year after year. And the popularity of the K Family continues to grow; with this past quarter of the year marking the largest number of K Family loudspeakers sold."

www.prosoundweb.com
pdidy 5:35 AM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

"The K12 continues to break QSC sales records year after year. And the popularity of the K Family continues to grow; with this past quarter of the year marking the largest number of K Family loudspeakers sold."

www.prosoundweb.com

I stand corrected but it's hard to believe considering I know no one still buying Qsc. Or could that article just be QSC marketing ? Hmmm
DJ Val-BKNY11203 10:51 AM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

www.prosoundweb.com

I stand corrected but it's hard to believe considering I know no one still buying Qsc. Or could that article just be QSC marketing ? Hmmm

They have the name recognition from a very successful brand. The uninformed will buy what they heard of.
Joee 1:02 PM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

www.prosoundweb.com

crazy considering the dxr is cheaper and better
SG SOUNDS 2:23 PM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

true but the jbl's will sound waaaaay better..since i got the srx828p my yorkies been gathering dust
SG SOUNDS 2:25 PM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

www.prosoundweb.com

crazy considering the dxr is cheaper and better

and also a 7 year warranty over qsc
SG SOUNDS 2:33 PM - 11 March, 2016
My next purchase will be the dsr12s after reading so many positive reviews on this speaker and finally getting a chance on hearing them i would dare say they are best 12" speaker out there..many top pro sound guys is raving about these speakers...these would compliment my etx 15's nicely for my small gug set up...my dxr15s will be reassigned to smaller bbq gigs..
Joee 3:05 PM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:
My next purchase will be the dsr12s after reading so many positive reviews on this speaker and finally getting a chance on hearing them i would dare say they are best 12" speaker out there..many top pro sound guys is raving about these speakers...these would compliment my etx 15's nicely for my small gug set up...my dxr15s will be reassigned to smaller bbq gigs..

i would agree ,but i will say there the best 12" out in the price range

but you already knew what time it was with the dxr's you own the 15"

why anyone would continue to buy the k series is beyond me
JDforKing 3:06 PM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:

After hearing the yamaha dsr112 how would you compare them to your dxr15. I've seen you speak very highly of the yamaha dxr15s. What would make you relagate them to only BBQs? Also, if you're going to use the dsr112 with a sub why wouldn't you get a yamaha dxr10 or 12?
Joee 3:13 PM - 11 March, 2016
i just notice ridd was referring to the dsr and not the dxr
Gio Alex 3:30 PM - 11 March, 2016
This is why opinions are opinions. lol...see what happens when you ask for speaker advice? haha

anyway, I agree with didy, every brand has a flagship. Just like camera companies and car companies.
JDforKing 3:38 PM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:
This is why opinions are opinions. lol...see what happens when you ask for speaker advice? haha

anyway, I agree with didy, every brand has a flagship. Just like camera companies and car companies.

I've always felt this way, but I enjoy the conversations we have about different brands and the different specifics of though brands
JDforKing 4:01 PM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I've always felt this way, but I enjoy the conversations we have about different brands and the different specifics of though brands

*thoughs
SG SOUNDS 4:02 PM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

After hearing the yamaha dsr112 how would you compare them to your dxr15. I've seen you speak very highly of the yamaha dxr15s. What would make you relagate them to only BBQs? Also, if you're going to use the dsr112 with a sub why wouldn't you get a yamaha dxr10 or 12?

the difference is the high end output...the dsr12s can get extremely loud without limiting..also 12" speaker in my opinion sound tighter with subs than a 15"....my beloved dxr15s has been good to me in smaller gigs were i dont use subs but sometimes those smaller gigs do get hectic were i sometimes push the dxr15 a little louder and then they start limiting..thats why i went and bought 2 etx15sp to go with them...plenty head room now...dont get me wrong the dxr15s still held up and the majority of the crowd wont notice the speaker limiting its just that i wanted that extra headroom when needed
SG SOUNDS 4:15 PM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

the difference is the high end output...the dsr12s can get extremely loud without limiting..also 12" speaker in my opinion sound tighter with subs than a 15"....my beloved dxr15s has been good to me in smaller gigs were i dont use subs but sometimes those smaller gigs do get hectic were i sometimes push the dxr15 a little louder and then they start limiting..thats why i went and bought 2 etx15sp to go with them...plenty head room now...dont get me wrong the dxr15s still held up and the majority of the crowd wont notice the speaker limiting its just that i wanted that extra headroom when needed

The dxr12s and the dxr10 ive never really heard them but i have read they sound real good with subs..the dxr10 looks small and lightweight not sure if they can keep up with the etx subs but im willing to test them out and see..i can get a pair for cheap
JDforKing 5:05 PM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The dxr12s and the dxr10 ive never really heard them but i have read they sound real good with subs..the dxr10 looks small and lightweight not sure if they can keep up with the etx subs but im willing to test them out and see..i can get a pair for cheap

I actually own 3 dxr8s and 2 yamaha dxr12s. My compact system is a lot smaller than yours but i use a pair of yamaha dxr8s with a single ev ekx15sp and crossed at 100hz the yamaha dxr8s easily keep up. From reading your previous post and understanding the type of music you play i think a pair of yamaha dxr10s or dxr12s would wor perfectly for you to use along with your pair of ev etx15sp. The only problem is the yamaha dsr112 maybe better suited to use with your srx828s if that's also an option.
pdidy 9:40 PM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

true but the jbl's will sound waaaaay better..since i got the srx828p my yorkies been gathering dust

You wont get any debate from me there, I had the same experience when I got my first JBL vrx918sp. It made me rethink and change my whole speaker game.
SG SOUNDS 11:09 PM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I actually own 3 dxr8s and 2 yamaha dxr12s. My compact system is a lot smaller than yours but i use a pair of yamaha dxr8s with a single ev ekx15sp and crossed at 100hz the yamaha dxr8s easily keep up. From reading your previous post and understanding the type of music you play i think a pair of yamaha dxr10s or dxr12s would wor perfectly for you to use along with your pair of ev etx15sp. The only problem is the yamaha dsr112 maybe better suited to use with your srx828s if that's also an option.

you know you may be right the dsr might drown out my etx subs idk...but ill have to listen to the dxr10 or 12's first...they should be loud enough high passed at 100hz.
SG SOUNDS 3:05 AM - 12 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

you know you may be right the dsr might drown out my etx subs idk...but ill have to listen to the dxr10 or 12's first...they should be loud enough high passed at 100hz.

I use the etx 35p with my jbl's
SX57 7:53 AM - 21 December, 2016
Sorry to bump an old thread but considering that an iphone spl meter is not calibrated probaby and the internal mic will clip around 97 dbs,can i still trust the measurements posted by mr joee?
I want to know if the mentioned speakers truely peak at just about 97,98dbs.
I know the manufactures exagverate they max db spls but by so much?
I mean for example,does qsc or yamah really just peak at 98/99 db while the manufacture claims 30 dbs more?!
I want to know if i can refer to this measure as a reference.
Thank you alot for helpoing.
dj_soo 8:30 AM - 21 December, 2016
those guys aren't measuring peak SPL - they're measuring the loudest they get before limit.

Properly measuring peak SPL would be cranking the speaker to the point where they blow and then reading the db level right before it blew which obviously they aren't going to do to their own equipment.

That said, the companies do exaggerate the numbers and often don't even measure the SPL but rather calculate it based on the design.
SX57 9:02 AM - 21 December, 2016
Quote:
those guys aren't measuring peak SPL - they're measuring the loudest they get before limit.

Properly measuring peak SPL would be cranking the speaker to the point where they blow and then reading the db level right before it blew which obviously they aren't going to do to their own equipment.

That said, the companies do exaggerate the numbers and often don't even measure the SPL but rather calculate it based on the design.

Thanks a lot for answering.so now am i correct in concluding that a qsc or yamaha of the mentioned models will give me max 97,98 dbs Music in gigs and if want more ,i will need to buy more speakers or more powerful ones?
Man i doubted manufactures would imply exaggerated figures by so much ,30dbs man!!!!(mentioning peak to imply sokmething we will never get)
Thanks alot again for helping.
dj_soo 9:38 AM - 21 December, 2016
it's marketing.

Just like the K12 is never actually going to use "1000 watts" or some companies only showing frequency range of -10 db (quieter than anyone would use the gear).

Look at it as a reference rather than any sort of exact number.

A speaker listed with a 130db peak is going to be louder than a speaker listed with a 126db peak even if realistically you will never get those volumes when using them.

Also, more tops won't really give you more volume - just better coverage (given good placement).
SX57 9:51 AM - 21 December, 2016
Thanks alot mate.
Joee 11:35 PM - 21 December, 2016
Quote:
it's marketing.

Just like the K12 is never actually going to use "1000 watts" or some companies only showing frequency range of -10 db (quieter than anyone would use the gear).

Look at it as a reference rather than any sort of exact number.

A speaker listed with a 130db peak is going to be louder than a speaker listed with a 126db peak even if realistically you will never get those volumes when using them.

Also, more tops won't really give you more volume - just better coverage (given good placement).

spot on sir

@sx57 ,according to db charts a rock concert is 120 to 130 db, so by that logic do you think qsc k12 rated at 131 db are going to be louder?

i pay no mind to the exaggerated numbers speakers manufactures put out, do you really think a qsc k8 can handle 1000W?

what maters in a speaker is efficiency!
SX57 5:45 AM - 22 December, 2016
@joee,
hey man of course it would not take 1000w or reach to 130db.it's tweeter would never stand for one miliseconds the 500w of the bi amped system.what i thought was that at least this or any other speakers with such claims could reach 110dbs at least.
now according to the tests you kindly provided 100db at max is their full potential. even two of these will not be able to easily go fully over the crowd cries in a small gig simply because their cries will be louder than 100db sometimes.
now we may talk about subs but that's another matter.also adding subs may not give us more headroom simply because there will be higher frequencies limiting the system too(too little dynamic range).
dj_soo 6:14 AM - 22 December, 2016
in 2-way speakers, the woofer is going to limit the system long before the tweeter so you will absolutely get more headroom using subs as you will be high passing or crossing over the lower frequencies that tax the speaker far more that the highs.

Keep in mind these guys were using an iphone app to test so it's not like it's an accurate measurement too.

In the real world, while most of these mid-range prosumer tops will have their limits, they go plenty loud for the applications they were meant for. Mobile gigs where you aren't trying to pump out club level sound that fills the entire room, small room parties, public speaking engagements, or small-room band engagements.

If you're trying to use a pair of K12s as your mains for a 500+ person party, you simply aren't using the right equipment for the gig. You can't expect an $800 speaker to do a job that requires a $2000 speaker. If you're looking for big, touring-level sound, you have to use big, touring level rigs.
SX57 8:07 AM - 22 December, 2016
Quote:

In the real world, while most of these mid-range prosumer tops will have their limits, they go plenty loud for the applications they were meant for. Mobile gigs where you aren't trying to pump out club level sound that fills the entire room, small room parties, public speaking engagements, or small-room band engagements.

If you're trying to use a pair of K12s as your mains for a 500+ person party, you simply aren't using the right equipment for the gig. You can't expect an $800 speaker to do a job that requires a $2000 speaker. If you're looking for big, touring-level sound, you have to use big, touring level rigs.

No mate I never meant a 500 people gig.
I meant really small gig.
There was a gig once with just 40 people at max in a room about 15*8 meters max with two Yamaha msr 400(clearly inferior than qsc but still should have been enough)
Sound was like shit man.vocals were fucked and unintelligible. Highs were like extreme ear piercing noise and base?crap.
I took a look and there were on limit light consistently.splnfft app(better and more accurate than other db apps) showed about 100db.when people shout it was about 103 to 104.db
a sub may have been of much use but i believe shit sound should have not been the result in such a small gig with those speakers.
another time there was a so called gig in a very(really ) small room wih just about 15 people with just one 15 inch speake.it was a jbl but i don't know the model.this time sound was really good and high quality.i was enjoying it alot but whenever people cried,music became something in the background and when i went to dj to ask why he didn't turn it up,he simply showed me the mixer led lights if anymore volume was applied.well,he simply knew about gain structure and clean signals.i used my iphone again and the same story,about 100 db music(but clean and lovely to hear)and about103 to 104 db when people cried.please be informed that music was not attenuated completely by peoples cry just really going into the background.
you are completely right that an iphone is not acurate enough,that's why i asked if i could conclude that a qsc or yamaha would give me about98db music before limiting.
nontheless , as there was no more room for dj to turn up the volume and people cry resulting in music going to the back ground,i think music and people cry were about that 4 dbs different but what was the real level of sound pressure remains an inknown fact.was t it more than 104db or less?i also have read that iphone mic clips around 95 to 100 dbs making everything even more dubtful(and still it shows more dbs with more volume despite cliping!).
SX57 8:13 AM - 22 December, 2016
I just wanted to add that all measurements were DBC.
It would be good to have an edit option in the forum posting system.
Rebelguy 4:15 PM - 22 December, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

No mate I never meant a 500 people gig.
I meant really small gig.
There was a gig once with just 40 people at max in a room about 15*8 meters max with two Yamaha msr 400(clearly inferior than qsc but still should have been enough)
Sound was like shit man.vocals were fucked and unintelligible. Highs were like extreme ear piercing noise and base?crap.
I took a look and there were on limit light consistently.splnfft app(better and more accurate than other db apps) showed about 100db.when people shout it was about 103 to 104.db
a sub may have been of much use but i believe shit sound should have not been the result in such a small gig with those speakers.
another time there was a so called gig in a very(really ) small room wih just about 15 people with just one 15 inch speake.it was a jbl but i don't know the model.this time sound was really good and high quality.i was enjoying it alot but whenever people cried,music became something in the background and when i went to dj to ask why he didn't turn it up,he simply showed me the mixer led lights if anymore volume was applied.well,he simply knew about gain structure and clean signals.i used my iphone again and the same story,about 100 db music(but clean and lovely to hear)and about103 to 104 db when people cried.please be informed that music was not attenuated completely by peoples cry just really going into the background.
you are completely right that an iphone is not acurate enough,that's why i asked if i could conclude that a qsc or yamaha would give me about98db music before limiting.
nontheless , as there was no more room for dj to turn up the volume and people cry resulting in music going to the back ground,i think music and people cry were about that 4 dbs different but what was the real level of sound pressure remains an inknown fact.was t it more than 104db or less?i also have read that iphone mic clips around 95 to 100 dbs making everything even more dubtful(and still it shows more dbs with more volume despite cliping!).

You do know that all the max SPL measurements posted by manufacturers are taken at 1m or about 3 feet in front of the speaker. With that being said I highly doubt the speakers You mentioned would be only 100db if measured at that distance. Things get even more interesting if too look into whether they are using half-space or free-space measurements.

You can read more here.

en.m.wikipedia.org
SX57 4:31 PM - 22 December, 2016
Yes my friend i know how manufactures test (or may be supposed to test) they speakers.i am so interested in such things i take my laser meter with me when i go to gigs to see the distance at which i take the measurement.it was 1.8 meter .it was a small room so even a little more dstance shoudn't have dropped more than a couple dbs(jbl speaker gig).in the gig of yamaha speakers my distance was less because i could easily get near the speakers and they were not that high on the stands. When i got a few meter away there was about 2 or 3 db loss at most.in a close space 6 db per meter doesn't happen at all.i have tested this many times.
SX57 4:31 PM - 22 December, 2016
Have anyone of you ever tested his speakers with a spl meter? It would be very informing.