Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Vestax VCI 400 Support

DJ Marv the Maverick 3:52 AM - 16 April, 2015
I know Vestax have gone AWOL. I was just wondering if Serato DJ still supports it with functionality updates in line with all the newer Software Updates. (flip/beat jump) etc

I'm planning to pick up a VCI 400 as a traveling/portable/back up controller to my main rig (Rane 62 & DDJ SX). I use a Mac, Serato DJ and MixEmergency.

Regards
938MyDJ 3:30 PM - 16 April, 2015
I just got 2 of these units recently... same as you, for travel purposes (or really small gigs).

No Flip Support but Beat JUMP works!

You need to buy the SDJ License though!
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:16 PM - 16 April, 2015
Thanks. I got a similar offer locally for the Pioneer SB and VCI 400. Less than €200, any thoughts ?
938MyDJ 6:24 PM - 16 April, 2015
VCI-400 is way, way, more professional than the SB.

4 Decks Control
8 Pads (SB's pads although seem to be 8, only 4 are the actual pads-rest are controls)
SDJ, Traktor, VDJ, and Ipad Support (DJ Player IOS App)
More Input and Output OPTIONS

If it was the SR that is priced the same then I will go for it. But NOT for the SB.
938MyDJ 6:34 PM - 16 April, 2015
For more facts...

versus.com
deejdave 8:13 PM - 16 April, 2015
Quote:
VCI-400 is way, way, more professional than the SB.

4 Decks Control
8 Pads (SB's pads although seem to be 8, only 4 are the actual pads-rest are controls)
SDJ, Traktor, VDJ, and Ipad Support (DJ Player IOS App)
More Input and Output OPTIONS

If it was the SR that is priced the same then I will go for it. But NOT for the SB.

Well said
938MyDJ 8:49 PM - 16 April, 2015
Did you have a chance to own one of these deejdave?

After the NS6, that was the time these came out... if my memory is correct.

By that time, I was in the process of upgrading my Numark HDX TTs to Technics and at the same time Denon 3900s to CDJ900s (eventually to 2000NXS).

In short, I skip the VCI-400s.
By the time I went back to controllers, the SX is already out and obviously I went for Pioneer.
deejdave 8:58 PM - 16 April, 2015
The SB but after hearing such great things on the 400 it's safe to say it would be the superior controller. I skipped the SR and have the SX & SZ but the SR lacks external inputs which is pretty important to me so in short I too skipped the 400.
Simon Love Carter 12:31 AM - 31 March, 2016
How about now. If I wanted A dj controller for small gigs like, pubs, weddings, ecc ecc. Is It still a best choice or maybe I need to find something more "supported" like terminal mix 8?? What would you buy now???
dibb 6:57 AM - 1 April, 2016
I used my 400 last week for a small gig, and I was thinking of how good this controller (still) is:
- the amount of control you have
- nice platters
- the layout is perfect
- the build quality is second to none: full metal chassis, very nice feeling and sturdy knobs
- very good sound quality
- very portable, I carry it in a Magma backpack

Can't think of a better controller TBH. Maybe the VCI-380?.. :)

It's a shame that they don't make them like this anymore.
deejdave 1:21 PM - 1 April, 2016
Definately a thing of preference. While I find the vci series very capable and one of the better small chassis controllers I absolutely find the familiar and proven layout of the ddj series.
dibb 10:28 PM - 1 April, 2016
Just buy that 400 anyway.. ;)
dibb 10:32 PM - 1 April, 2016
It's already a CLASSIC (+the 380)!
dibb 10:41 PM - 1 April, 2016
...and don't be afraid for lack of support.

Serato will keep on supporting the 400 for a while, is my guess..
It's just another class compliant audio + midi device..
deejdave 11:11 PM - 1 April, 2016
This is great for Mac but for Windows? Serato will not be providing driver updates and obviously Vestax will not support in any way. I am curious how Windows users are getting along with these. I know a ton of peeps dumped them around the time Vestax made their "announcement" which is both good and bad.
dibb 11:52 PM - 1 April, 2016
Windows?

Ok, Windows users: don't by a VCI-400 !
Simon Love Carter 9:32 AM - 2 April, 2016
Here it is.... I was asking about issues working under 1.9 + el captain. So I can spend 300 euros for a 100% working used unit without expecting any problem??
dj_spark 11:06 AM - 2 April, 2016
PC user here.

After a VCI300, a NS6, i was on the point of buying a VCi 400 but the asio drivers was so awfull (sound quality, volume, cpu stress) that I went for a DDJ SR. The CPU went from 80-90% usage to 50-60% (old Core2Duo 2.5Ghz).

The VCI 400 have a very nice layout and controls but the soundcard handling is a mess into Windows.
dibb 9:04 PM - 2 April, 2016
no problems on El Cap
London Broil 12:29 AM - 3 April, 2016
I can also confirm, no problem with El Capitan on 2 different macs.
deejdave 1:38 AM - 3 April, 2016
Wouldn't expect any issues with Mac as................

Quote:
It's just another class compliant audio + midi device..

The issue as I speculated and dj_spark confirmed were with Windows/Vestax specifically. Great to hear you guys are getting along with El Capitain but I would not be so quick to jump on it myself. I would make sure your laptop specifically (year/model) is confirmed working with El Capitan/Serato as I do know others are in fact having a nightmare of a time. Not trying to be a Debbie downer just trying to be proactive and helpful.
London Broil 2:11 AM - 3 April, 2016
Sounds like good logical advice deejdave.
deejdave 2:24 AM - 3 April, 2016
Yeah man. Personally am glad to see two unique users (one with two unique machines) working well with El Capitan though. Progress to say the least.

One thing I did note just now though and must bring up in the spirit of being fair is dj_spark may also be running a machine that is in fact using a machine that is no longer supported itself. (old Core2Duo 2.5Ghz)

As seen in the min specs serato.com
Quote:
an i3 is the lowest supported processor and more specifically in the release notes:

"As well as Core 2 duo machines not being supported by Serato DJ since the 1.8.0 release they are also not supported by Pulselocker."

So there is no way to be 100% sure Windows was the culprit in this case without further testing/info.
dj_spark 3:34 PM - 3 April, 2016
At that time when the VCI400 and DDJ SR landed, Serato DJ was at an early stage and Core2Duo where still supported.

The issue I'm talking about is purely an asio drivers issue from Vestax. This issue was the same into MixVibes and VDJ.
After trying the Pioneer controlers (tried with a DDJ SX from a friend), I have seen that something was wrong with Vestax and went for a DDJ SR.
Lastly I asked to a friend of mine who is a coder into the audio industry and he also confirmed me that the vestax drivers wasn't the best around (that mean they have a big lake of optimization).

Of course with a more powerful computer you probably won't see the difference between the two as the weakness of my computer certainly magnify the issue. But the fact is that Pioneer asio drivers are better made than the Vestax one (and talking of what I know DDJ SR/SX vs VCI 380-400).

Serato is not that clean too, because back in the days, that exact same computer used to roll with Itch and VCI 300 and none of these hassles.
Simon Love Carter 12:43 AM - 5 April, 2016
ok guys, thanks for all the advices. Now I need to find a used unit and a flight case to bring it in my small pub gigs!
dibb 7:10 AM - 5 April, 2016
I have this: www.magma-bags.com
Very convenient to carry the 400 in.

Also if you don't have a mixer at the venues you play at, you might wanna consider one of these: www.sweetwater.com. Note that the 400 doesn't have a monitor output/control.

And you can't really use the line-ins. The standalone mixer mode that was introduced to the 400 later doesn't work properly. I don't care because I don't need it, but you have to know this before you buy the unit.