DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

really basic beginers question on RCA

Dj Izzy Per Era 4:41 PM - 7 April, 2015
Hi, Im using Numark mixtrak pro 2 and need to go from the rca socket ( red and white) into a male 3.5 . I'm dj-ing a party and they told me I can plug my laptop into the system (which I assume will be through a male 3.5 into my headphone jack). I want to use my Mixtrack pro 2 so what wire/ component would I need to be able to put my RCA to make 3.5 cable into a male 3.5.

regards

Dj Izzy
The Return of Dj Sparky 5:02 PM - 7 April, 2015
i see you extensively researched this on google,

lmgtfy.com
AKIEM 5:04 PM - 7 April, 2015
lol lmgtfy
Gio Alex 5:19 PM - 7 April, 2015
oh my.
Davideon 5:42 PM - 7 April, 2015
Quote:
i see you extensively researched this on google,

lmgtfy.com

LOL
Dj Izzy Per Era 5:53 PM - 7 April, 2015
I just meant would I be able to plug male "RCA to female 3.5mm" between my mixtrack pro 2 and a male 3.5mm, I said it was a beginners questions
Gio Alex 6:00 PM - 7 April, 2015
Quote:
I just meant would I be able to plug male "RCA to female 3.5mm" between my mixtrack pro 2 and a male 3.5mm, I said it was a beginners questions

Why do want to go from rca to 3.5 in this said system? Why not just connect to rca directly? What exactly are you trying to accomplish here, can you paint a picture?

Mixtrack connects to your computer via usb and therefor works as a mixer/audio interface. From the mixtrack pro you connect to the "system" via rca out on the mixtrack pro 2.
AKIEM 6:04 PM - 7 April, 2015
You should ask the club if they can accommodate a mixer with RCA output.

My guess is you are going way down the wrong path with 3.5mm plug
Gio Alex 6:06 PM - 7 April, 2015
Quote:

You mean input? His "mixer" <-- mixtrack pro has RCA out though.

Quote:
My guess is you are going way down the wrong path with 3.5mm plug

This.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 6:10 PM - 7 April, 2015
^^^ Yup - What are you trying to plug the 3.5mm into??

- as mentioned above the Mixtrak cuntroller connects to the laptop via USB usually
AKIEM 6:30 PM - 7 April, 2015
Right. But you don't want to call the club and mention a "mixtrack pro" in case its an old crotchity sound man who is going to be put off by it mentioned.

Get the soundmans or someone's email info and ask specifically "can you accommodate the RCA output on my mixer?"

Just say mixer to lessen any confusion.

Bring your RCA cable, and a couple RCA to 1/4 adapters to be safe.
Gio Alex 6:40 PM - 7 April, 2015
Quote:
Right. But you don't want to call the club and mention a "mixtrack pro" in case its an old crotchity sound man who is going to be put off by it mentioned.

Get the soundmans or someone's email info and ask specifically "can you accommodate the RCA output on my mixer?"

Just say mixer to lessen any confusion.

Bring your RCA cable, and a couple RCA to 1/4 adapters to be safe.

Truth.

It want also help if the OP knew what he was doing and his terminology, but you clear that up. This is why it's important to understand your gear. Trying to relay a message to someone and you have the wrong terminology just creates a nightmare of confusion.
AKIEM 7:07 PM - 7 April, 2015
Yup, you can never know too much about your own equipment.

Then again you might get a gig before you are ready for it.... :)

Gotta start some place...
Dj Izzy Per Era 7:54 PM - 7 April, 2015
This is a really great forum, thank you everyone for your help. It's not a club it's a small charity event in a hall. They asked me to play and said I can plug my laptop into their sound system. I doubt they would even know what that is so assume its a 3.5mm jack to plug into my laptop.

I want to use my mixtrack pro 2 at the event does anyone have any suggestions. I have RCA output at the back of my controller. If I turn up and they give me a 3.5mm to plug in, can I use a male rca to female 3.5mm wire to plug it in
Gio Alex 7:57 PM - 7 April, 2015
Quote:
Why do want to go from rca to 3.5 in this said system? Why not just connect to rca directly? What exactly are you trying to accomplish here, can you paint a picture?

Mixtrack connects to your computer via usb and therefor works as a mixer/audio interface. From the mixtrack pro you connect to the "system" via rca out on the mixtrack pro 2.

Did you read this?
Dj Izzy Per Era 8:03 PM - 7 April, 2015
Yh I did, I'm just wondering what to do if I go there and they give me a male 3.5mm.
DJ Remix Detroit 8:04 PM - 7 April, 2015
you should go there a day or 2 before the event to see what they have, then you can go to radio shack and get the proper connection
AKIEM 8:04 PM - 7 April, 2015
I see what he is saying. They are likely to present him with a 3.5 male stereo to RCA-1/4 because they are assuming he is running from his laptop.

And in that case my advice still works. Bring your RCA cable and 1/4 adapters. That way when the hand you a 3.5 like you were about to play off the pc or iPhone - NOPE - blame, mi come prepared rude boy - plug straight in 1/4 boom
Dj Izzy Per Era 8:06 PM - 7 April, 2015
but in theory, If I connect my mixtrack pro 2 using male rca to female 3.5mm and then plug a male 3.5mm from their system into it would it work?

I haven't done it before and no nothing about wiring so just want to know if it would work.
Gio Alex 8:07 PM - 7 April, 2015
Quote:
NOPE - blame, mi come prepared rude boy - plug straight in 1/4 boom

lol you stupid lmao
Dj Izzy Per Era 8:07 PM - 7 April, 2015
Akiem I bought this would it work

www.amazon.co.uk
Gio Alex 8:10 PM - 7 April, 2015
The chance of that 3.5mm disconnecting though is no bueno. Here's the thing. If they are giving you a 3.5mm to rca to connect to, then that means on their end something is connected us rca. So why not just go from rca to rca. Mixtrack pro/mixer rca out to "system" rca in.
Dj Izzy Per Era 8:11 PM - 7 April, 2015
no I currently use a rca to male 3.5mm at home (which I will bring). When I go there and they give me a male 3.5mm, I am wondering what to do?
Gio Alex 8:17 PM - 7 April, 2015
my head is hurting.

Can someone explain to me (other than DJ Izzy) why 3.5 to RCA or RCA to 3.5. Why? Is it troll tuesdays!?
AKIEM 8:20 PM - 7 April, 2015
Quote:
Akiem I bought this would it work

www.amazon.co.uk

I would return that or just hold on to it.

It might be worth getting a longer decent quality RCA/RCA cable (and 1/4 adapters) because that's likely what they are plugging into.

Its possible they are using a looong 3.5 and that's just how they do it.

But 3.5 to 3.5 is def a week link. Might work fine.
But if you are buying something just for that gig, get some longer tougher RCA/RCA cable and 1/4 adapters and bypass their cable. Those will always come in handy.

My bet is they will have an RCA cable for you as well - anyway.
AKIEM 8:23 PM - 7 April, 2015
Quote:
my head is hurting.

Can someone explain to me (other than DJ Izzy) why 3.5 to RCA or RCA to 3.5. Why? Is it troll tuesdays!?

Because a lot of venues/systems have become so acquainted with pure laptop dudes 3.5 has become a "standard" (just barffed a little)

But my man is keeping it realer - and they don't expect him to show up with some real equipments.

Ras :-)
Gio Alex 8:32 PM - 7 April, 2015
Quote:
Because a lot of venues/systems have become so acquainted with pure laptop dudes 3.5 has become a "standard" (just barffed a little)

DEAD!!!! LMFAO

So you're saying they're not willing to unplug their rca to 3.5mm to he can plug in rca to rca? This makes no sense. Unless the cable is tucked away. Then again if this is a mixing soundboard or mixer, wouldn't it have other rca inputs on it. i.e., tape in?

Quote:
But my man is keeping it realer - and they don't expect him to show up with some real equipments.

Ras :-)

lol

I need an advil
Dj Izzy Per Era 8:40 PM - 7 April, 2015
I have no idea what they will have, I have only been told to bring my laptop (hence the assumption of a male 3.5) . I have emailed them so hopefully they can clarify.

Thank you guys for your help, I have purchased adaptors and all sorts of rca/ 3.55 cables from amazon.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:34 PM - 7 April, 2015
Quote:
When I go there and they give me a male 3.5mm, I am wondering what to do?

Just start randomly hitting people in the head with your controller until they accommodate you, similar to what your doing here to us mentally
Gio Alex 9:35 PM - 7 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
When I go there and they give me a male 3.5mm, I am wondering what to do?

Just start randomly hitting people in the head with your controller until they accommodate you, similar to what your doing here to us mentally

LMFAO
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 9:53 PM - 7 April, 2015
Quote:
Can someone explain to me (other than DJ Izzy) why 3.5 to RCA or RCA to 3.5

Don't you have to pay for a license Serato DJ to run on a Mixtrak???

Maybe dude is trying to bypass and use SDJ straight from his laptop thru the headphone jack or some shit

How does the demo version of SDJ work - is it like the offline version of SSL?

Maybe the cuntolller is just for show?

Maybe the venue is using a 3.5mm "in" to their "system"
Gio Alex 10:17 PM - 7 April, 2015
Quote:
Don't you have to pay for a license Serato DJ to run on a Mixtrak???

Maybe dude is trying to bypass and use SDJ straight from his laptop thru the headphone jack or some shit

Interesting theory. Could be on to something there. Didn't think of that. Then again he can use VDJ on it for free? I feel like that software is pirated so much they just give it away now.

Quote:
Maybe the cuntolller is just for show?

Maybe the venue is using a 3.5mm "in" to their "system"

Endless possibilities. So little he's telling us. lol
The Return of Dj Sparky 10:19 PM - 7 April, 2015
i just find it amazing that people that haven't got a clue about the most basic of things manage to get gigs,

is this gig even paying enough to buy a rca to 3.5mm wire?
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 10:23 PM - 7 April, 2015
Just looked - all the Numark Mixtrack flavors of Cuntrollers say Serato DJ UPGRADE ready...

$129 to make it work with Serato DJ outside of demo mode I think - serato.com - roll over the cute pictures
The Return of Dj Sparky 10:29 PM - 7 April, 2015
it comes with serato intro, you just have to upgrade to have full freatures,

and unless serato disabled the rca out in intro i don't think he is trying to get around the license, i'm courious to what system he is going to be connecting to as from all this it sounds like a ipod dock
Dj Izzy Per Era 10:43 PM - 7 April, 2015
Hi, its a legitimate serato dj software and a mixtrack pro 2 controller. I use the RCA out put at the back and plan to connect it to a 3.5mm that the venue will give me. was just asking how this would be possible. But thank you all for your answers.
Gio Alex 10:53 PM - 7 April, 2015
Quote:
Hi, its a legitimate serato dj software and a mixtrack pro 2 controller. I use the RCA out put at the back and plan to connect it to a 3.5mm that the venue will give me. was just asking how this would be possible. But thank you all for your answers.

I feel like you're trolling us. Why do you insist on connecting through 3.5mm? What equipment do the have there? Did you ask? Is it a mackie or yamaha like mixer?

Like Akiem mentioned, maybe they said 3.5 because they assumed you want to connect just your laptop to the system and not know you have full rca (L/R white/red) on your mixer.
Dj Izzy Per Era 10:59 PM - 7 April, 2015
I'm not trolling, it was just a general question on how to get a 3.5mm male connected to rca female that was all.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 12:30 AM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:
and plan to connect it to a 3.5mm that the venue will give me.

Sounds like the venue is used to plug and "press play" laptop djs that just use itunes or win amp straight from a laptop - no mixing or professional equipment like a cuntroller used???
d:raf 3:24 AM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:
They asked me to play and said I can plug my laptop into their sound system. I doubt they would even know what that is so assume its a 3.5mm jack to plug into my laptop.

Quote:
I have no idea what they will have, I have only been told to bring my laptop (hence the assumption of a male 3.5) . I have emailed them so hopefully they can clarify.

So what I'm getting is that the only one who's mentioned a 3.5mm jack of any sort is you. That's a hell of an assumption. Sounds like you're not used to seeing anything except computer speakers and you expect the venue to be the same way.

Go to the venue, see what they have, and go from there. Otherwise wait on them to email you back before buying anything. Otherwise you're putting the cart before the horse.
pdidy 4:21 AM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:
I feel like you're trolling us. Why do you insist on connecting through 3.5mm?

I dont think he's trolling us, I can spot those fuckers a mile away. He's just a beginner like he admitted too from the title....:)
pdidy 4:38 AM - 8 April, 2015
I used to frequent a bar that had a 3.5 male plug installed (so it can not be moved or removed) at the bar so customers could sit in one particular chair and be their own dj using their phones or iPods ect.

So all he needs are these two adapters or the equivalent and hes good to go...
www.amazon.com I chose this version because it does not short out as easily as the wired version.
www.amazon.com 3.5mm Female to Female Coupler
DJ Remix Detroit 5:12 AM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:
Go to the venue, see what they have, and go from there.

I said this earlier:

Quote:
DJ Remix Detroit 4:04 PM - 7 April, 2015
you should go there a day or 2 before the event to see what they have, then you can go to radio shack and get the proper connection

but we all know common sense isn't so common...lol
AKIEM 5:42 PM - 8 April, 2015
Quote:

simple
BIGG BEAR 4:20 AM - 9 April, 2015
I've got a headache as well now!
does he just not need one of these
www.ebay.co.uk
pdidy 6:05 AM - 9 April, 2015
Quote:
www.ebay.co.uk

yes
Mr. Goodkat 8:34 AM - 9 April, 2015
why would anyone give you a 3.5 jack?
Gio Alex 1:57 PM - 9 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
www.ebay.co.uk

yes

Yes, but the problem was why would you wanna go that route and not just go to rca direct. I'm sure this 3.5 is going to rca anyway to begin with, unless there's some off chance that the other end is also 3.5

but you're right though. we shoulda just suggested that and be done with it lol.
AKIEM 3:01 PM - 9 April, 2015
...and I was serious about the 3.5 'standard'

LMAO
AKIEM 3:02 PM - 9 April, 2015
Hope he reports back tho
Gio Alex 3:05 PM - 9 April, 2015
Quote:
Hope he reports back tho

I feel like we gave him a headache lol
eugguy 3:22 PM - 9 April, 2015
How the hell did this thread get this much attention.
Gio Alex 3:29 PM - 9 April, 2015
Quote:
How the hell did this thread get this much attention.

I know :*( It's kind of crazy right? lol
d:raf 5:31 PM - 9 April, 2015
It's like that math thread...
AKIEM 5:35 PM - 9 April, 2015
Quote:
It's like that math thread...

Exactly
(where I was right! wooh)
Dj Izzy Per Era 2:10 PM - 4 May, 2015
Hi, just to report back to you guys

I called the venue and got some old guy (the owner) who didn't know what I was talking about.
I went to check it out for myself and was handed a 3.5 jack by the sound guy, like I had suspected.
Long story short on the day of the event, a new soundsystem came and I asked the technician about RCA input showing him my controller, even he didn't know, he insisted that it was no possible even though I had the male to male rca cable, I eventually managed to plug a male rca to female 3.5 into my controller and plug the 3.5 jack into that. (they wouldn't let me do it directly).

anyways thank you all for my help (esp akiem and gio alex) , one thing I did notice here though from some other contributors was that snobbery and abuse regarding the equipment that puts people off from becoming dj's
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:31 PM - 4 May, 2015
Quote:
one thing I did notice here though from some other contributors was that snobbery and abuse regarding the equipment that puts people off from becoming dj's

Great, that means we're getting better at it. Fpr a while there no matter how we treated noobs they still demanded to be Djs. Mabye if we keep it up we can weed out the people who use 3.5 inch cables and cant figure out where to stick their RCAs. :)
Dj Izzy Per Era 5:56 PM - 4 May, 2015
I never demanded to be a DJ, its an aspiration I have.
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:52 PM - 4 May, 2015
Quote:

You should aspire to an XLR cable
Dj Izzy Per Era 7:09 PM - 4 May, 2015
seriously whats your problem, im just highlighting an issue ive noticed here that is actually damaging to the future of the art.
DJ Remix Detroit 8:51 PM - 4 May, 2015
Quote:
im just highlighting an issue ive noticed here that is actually damaging to the future of the art.

so is Bezzle...lol
Gio Alex 8:51 PM - 4 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

You should aspire to an XLR cable

Can't front, that made me chuckle.
DJ Remix Detroit 8:55 PM - 4 May, 2015
Quote:
I eventually managed to plug a male rca to female 3.5 into my controller

i sure hope you had SDJ set to mono
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:14 AM - 5 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
im just highlighting an issue ive noticed here that is actually damaging to the future of the art.

so is Bezzle...lol

ZING!
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:47 AM - 5 May, 2015
Quote:
I eventually managed to plug a male rca to female 3.5 into my controller and plug the 3.5 jack into that. (they wouldn't let me do it directly).

Wait, so they handed you male RCA cables and YOU hooked then into a 3.5 to RCA cable
Dj Izzy Per Era 12:56 PM - 5 May, 2015
no they gave me the 3.5. I saw that it was an rca on the other end connected to their mixer but they would not let me touch it.
Gio Alex 3:12 PM - 5 May, 2015
LOL this thread though
Dj Izzy Per Era 3:40 PM - 5 May, 2015
I do have a residency though, it's just the setting up was always done by someone else, I just connected my laptop and played. When it came to an unconnected gig at a town hall, I had to ask you guys and I was write in that the people who were in charge of the sound at the venue had no idea. But what is with the noob bashing here, it's really not good for the art form.
d:raf 3:45 PM - 5 May, 2015
Serato.com/forum; bad for the art form since 2004.

(assuming you include the "scratchlive" years).
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:48 PM - 5 May, 2015
Quote:
I do have a residency though, it's just the setting up was always done by someone else, I just connected my laptop and played.

So they provided the 3.5 adapter at your residency?
Gio Alex 4:16 PM - 5 May, 2015
I'm so confused.
Dj Izzy Per Era 4:17 PM - 5 May, 2015
No they always had Rca to Rca which I plugged from their mixer into my mixtrack.
The issue was that I went to another venue where they gave me a 3.5 and did not allow me to touch their mixer under any circumstances, so I had to know that a 3.5 to Rca adapator would work, which Is why i asked you guys.

anyways thanks for the help.
Gio Alex 4:18 PM - 5 May, 2015
Quote:
No they always had Rca to Rca which I plugged from their mixer into my mixtrack.
The issue was that I went to another venue where they gave me a 3.5 and did not allow me to touch their mixer under any circumstances, so I had to know that a 3.5 to Rca adapator would work, which Is why i asked you guys.

anyways thanks for the help.

OK, this clears everything up.
deezlee 5:12 PM - 5 May, 2015
Short version:
serato.com
Dj Izzy Per Era 6:27 PM - 5 May, 2015
LOL!
Mr. Goodkat 6:29 PM - 5 May, 2015
noob bashing is what djs do. its a time honored tradition. be happy you dont have to carry someones records for 2 years.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:22 PM - 5 May, 2015
Quote:

Sounds like a classy joint!
AKIEM 12:57 AM - 6 May, 2015
Quote:
Hi, just to report back to you guys

I called the venue and got some old guy (the owner) who didn't know what I was talking about.
I went to check it out for myself and was handed a 3.5 jack by the sound guy, like I had suspected.
Long story short on the day of the event, a new soundsystem came and I asked the technician about RCA input showing him my controller, even he didn't know, he insisted that it was no possible even though I had the male to male rca cable, I eventually managed to plug a male rca to female 3.5 into my controller and plug the 3.5 jack into that. (they wouldn't let me do it directly).

anyways thank you all for my help (esp akiem and gio alex) , one thing I did notice here though from some other contributors was that snobbery and abuse regarding the equipment that puts people off from becoming dj's

no problem bro
WarpNote 7:17 AM - 6 May, 2015
Quote:
The issue was that I went to another venue where they gave me a 3.5 and did not allow me to touch their mixer under any circumstances

Maybe you bringing a mixtrack "pro" to the venue had something to do with this...
I never ever had sound guys refuse me to plug into a mixer a sensible way.
Glad that it worked out though, this thread has delivered :-)
AKIEM 12:56 PM - 6 May, 2015
Nah, if this place normally and exclusively offered a headphone jack plug - the op was the 'pro' - comparatively for having RCAs.