DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Rane Empath Rotary MKII 2-channel mixer with Serato DJ Club Kit support

Mr. Mac 1:01 AM - 26 January, 2015
Gio Alex 1:06 AM - 26 January, 2015
Whoa! That's some sexiness right there.
Gio Alex 1:06 AM - 26 January, 2015
Your concept?
Mr. Mac 1:07 AM - 26 January, 2015
Yep. Hoping someone from Rane is paying attention.
Mr. Mac 1:08 AM - 26 January, 2015
Chassis Dimensions: 10" Wide x 14" High
Mr. Mac 1:08 AM - 26 January, 2015
Chassis Dimensions: 10" Wide (including wood panels) x 14" High
Mr. Mac 1:19 AM - 26 January, 2015
Serato DJ Club Kit supported dual USB soundcard
Mr. Mac 1:30 AM - 26 January, 2015
Issue with link corrected here. Sorry, no edit function on this forum :-(

i802.photobucket.com
Gio Alex 1:31 AM - 26 January, 2015
I would dump money out of my checking account right now it this was made. I like how clean your design is. I miss the days of clean mixers without unnecessary crap and colors everywhere.

Would be nice to also have a crossfader kit. Detachable faceplate
Mr. Mac 1:33 AM - 26 January, 2015
Quote:
I would dump money out of my checking account right now it this was made.

You're not alone. I've lost count of how many DJs I personally have been told by that they'd do the exact same thing.
pdidy 3:20 AM - 26 January, 2015
Nice concept, wrong name.
Mr. Mac 12:41 PM - 26 January, 2015
Quote:
Nice concept, wrong name.

lol, call it Barney for all I care, just build it and they will come.
Mr. Mac 12:56 PM - 26 January, 2015
Link updated: i802.photobucket.com
s3kn0tr0n1c 2:24 PM - 26 January, 2015
But the empath was 3 channel ;)
Mr. Mac 2:29 PM - 26 January, 2015
Quote:
But the empath was 3 channel ;)

Yep, as an owner of two of them I'm very familiar ;-)
eugguy 2:35 PM - 26 January, 2015
The 2 channel is (would be) pretty sweet too. I would love if they made something like this. You figure that there are a few different models of ttms available (56,57,61,62,64,68...) and Rane is always updating and adding models. I am excited for the 2015, but would be also happy to see an even more minimalistic 4-channel version. All is good though. Happy that a new rotary from Rane is out regardless.
Gio Alex 3:33 PM - 26 January, 2015
It can be laid out like the Ecler Nuo 2.0 was designed. A two channel mixer, but the Aux/Mic served as a 3rd channel.

I really loved how compact that mixer was. It had all the ins/outs you would want in a professional mixer in a compact size.

Separate record out, separate booth out and master out XLR and RCA. Effects Loop pre/post with Gain knobs and Kill switches for the EQ.

eclerdjdivision.com
Mr. Mac 3:36 PM - 26 January, 2015
Gio Alex 3:43 PM - 26 January, 2015
Quote:

How would the back look? Ins/outs
Mr. Mac 4:00 PM - 26 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

How would the back look? Ins/outs

Pretty much just like the MP2015 minus 2 channels and 1 phono + 2 line inputs per channel. There's also an AUX OUT added which can be used as a dedicated record output that would be unaffected by the main output level.
djbigboy 6:11 PM - 26 January, 2015
The original empath mixer was way underrated and ahead of its time...
Gio Alex 6:17 PM - 26 January, 2015
Quote:

I still wanna buy one, been looking.
Mr. Mac 9:06 PM - 26 January, 2015
Quote:
It can be laid out like the Ecler Nuo 2.0 was designed. A two channel mixer, but the Aux/Mic served as a 3rd channel.

I really loved how compact that mixer was. It had all the ins/outs you would want in a professional mixer in a compact size.

Separate record out, separate booth out and master out XLR and RCA. Effects Loop pre/post with Gain knobs and Kill switches for the EQ.

eclerdjdivision.com

Agreed. I really liked that mixer for a mid-end model. In fact, I adopted the dual line inputs per channel idea from the Nuo2 for this 2-channel rotary Rane concept. If you look closely at the source selectors you'll see the following.

Channel 1: USB 1A, USB 1B, Phono 1/Line 1, Line 3
Channel 2: USB 2A, USB 2B, Phono 2/Line 2, Line 4

The added flexibility having two line inputs per channel provides is enormous. For example, let's say you have two DJs using two different DVS setups and for whatever reason they aren't being routed through USB. Dual line inputs per channel allows both DJs to simultaneously connect to a 2-channel mixer so all they have to do is select which line inputs they're on without unplugging/replugging anything.
Mr. Mac 9:07 PM - 26 January, 2015
Quote:

Yep, agreed. I believe it's a model that will stand test of time.
s3kn0tr0n1c 10:25 AM - 27 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Yep, agreed. I believe it's a model that will stand test of time.

Yup my friend still rocks the blue one.....great mixer
Johbremat 1:35 PM - 27 January, 2015
@Gio Alex: looking for en Empath or Empath Rotary?

@Mr. Mac: strokes for folks, but I'd put:

- Booth and Master above the VU
- Phones and Pan below the VU
- AUX bottom left
Mr. Mac 3:43 PM - 27 January, 2015
Davideon 5:46 PM - 27 January, 2015
Quote:

Wtf is wrong with your bloody links
Mr. Mac 5:54 PM - 27 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Wtf is wrong with your bloody links

Rendering is re-uploaded to Photobucket whenever updates occur, but unfortunately Photobucket generates new link rather than just simply replacing image while maintaining same URL. I would prefer to just update the original post here with new link, but for some reason Serato has chosen to make forum posts unable to be edited unlike practically any other forum on the planet allows.
Gio Alex 6:24 PM - 27 January, 2015
Quote:
@Gio Alex: looking for en Empath or Empath Rotary?

@Mr. Mac: strokes for folks, but I'd put:

- Booth and Master above the VU
- Phones and Pan below the VU
- AUX bottom left

I'm looking for an Empath, but would accept a rotary. Why, you know someone? I'm browsing ebay and craigslist at the moment.
Johbremat 10:04 AM - 29 January, 2015
@Gio Alex: I've got one of each and not sure which I'd let go of, if the price was right. Coming from Australia though it might be too pricey. Let me know if you want me to contact you via your site contact form.

@Mr. Mac: would you be better of publishing public Dropbox or Box.net links instead? Should allow you to update the file and then you can post simply that you've updated, and peeps can refer to the same link.
Mr. Mac 1:22 PM - 29 January, 2015
Quote:
@Mr. Mac: would you be better of publishing public Dropbox or Box.net links instead? Should allow you to update the file and then you can post simply that you've updated, and peeps can refer to the same link.

Hi and thanks for suggestion. As luck would have it, my company just got me signed up the other day with a Dropbox account. Haven't had opportunity yet to explore the features, but if it does allow file replacement while maintaining original URL link then that's a great workaround and will definitely start using it. Thanks!