Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Pioneer DDJ-SP2 DJ Controller

Mr. Mac 5:14 PM - 12 December, 2014
Hello - Apologies if this is in wrong section, but did not see a "Pioneer Feature Suggestions" section here so this looked like next best place to post it. Basically looking for a DDJ-SP1 that has been updated to better reflect the feature set found when using Serato DJ paired with DDJ-SZ... primarily multi-color LED pads that correspond with marker colors found in SDJ GUI. Thanks

Quick mockup of Pioneer DDJ-S2 >>> i802.photobucket.com
Mr. Mac 5:14 PM - 12 December, 2014
Sorry, typo "Quick mockup of Pioneer DDJ-SP2 >>> i802.photobucket.com
Mr. Mac 5:15 PM - 12 December, 2014
BTW, where is the edit feature for posts here on forum?
Davideon 5:28 PM - 12 December, 2014
Quote:
BTW, where is the edit feature for posts here on forum?

There
Isn't
One
Mr. Mac 6:04 PM - 12 December, 2014
Apparently not, but why not? How are mistakes supposed to be edited without an edit function?
Davideon 8:50 PM - 12 December, 2014
Voodoo
DJwhizkid 9:05 PM - 12 December, 2014
Don't drink and write….
Mr. Mac 10:32 PM - 12 December, 2014
Quote:
Voodoo

Huh?
Mr. Mac 10:34 PM - 12 December, 2014
Quote:
Don't drink and write….

Not sure if this was for me or BBD, but if for me, I don't drink (alcohol that is). I don't write either, rather I type.
Davideon 10:38 PM - 12 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Don't drink and write….

Not sure if this was for me or BBD, but if for me, I don't drink (alcohol that is). I don't write either, rather I type.

I scribe.
DJwhizkid 10:40 PM - 12 December, 2014
My mistake…. where is the edit feature for posts here?
Mr. Mac 10:40 PM - 12 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Don't drink and write….

I scribe.

Congrats.
Mr. Mac 10:41 PM - 12 December, 2014
Quote:
My mistake….

No problem.

Quote:
where is the edit feature for posts here?

No idea. That's what I was asking earlier. Hopefully someone from Serato can advise.
Davideon 10:51 PM - 12 December, 2014
Written word clearly doesn't help you. How else would you like to be told that there is no edit function? Pictures? Poetry? Expressive dance? Mime? A floral display? The reenactment of Shakespeares Othello in a modern musical interpretation, with braille sub titles, and mongolian translation ?
Mr. Mac 11:03 PM - 12 December, 2014
Quote:
Written word clearly doesn't help you. How else would you like to be told that there is no edit function? Pictures? Poetry? Expressive dance? Mime? A floral display? The reenactment of Shakespeares Othello in a modern musical interpretation, with braille sub titles, and mongolian translation ?

Perhaps you missed the post from earlier where I already acknowledged that there is not an edit function here. Here, I'll post it again in hopes you'll see it this time.

Quote:
Apparently not, but why not? How are mistakes supposed to be edited without an edit function?
Mr. Mac 11:05 PM - 12 December, 2014
^^^ Or were you perhaps addressing DJwhizkid above?
DJwhizkid 11:08 PM - 12 December, 2014
Lets stop this. Were spending pixels.
Mr. Mac 11:12 PM - 12 December, 2014
Quote:
Lets stop this. Were spending pixels.

Spending pixels doesn't appear to be a problem, however apparently there's a shortage of apostrophes from where you're from.
Mr. Mac 11:14 PM - 12 December, 2014
^^^ If there was an edit feature though you'd be able to correct those errors. ;-)
LargeFarva 9:16 PM - 19 December, 2014
If definitely should have built in flip controls if we can't remap. SP2 or SP1 mk 2, whichever it is, also might be good to incorporate some transport and playback controls.

Since it's supposed to be the companion to the 900SRT for DVS users, it would be nice to be able to pitch, pitch bend, play, stop, scrub and needle drop all decks internally, thus giving user the ability to perform on up to four decks with any number of turntables.

Basically, it's be good to have the functionality of 2 NI Kontrol X1s but with real performance pads. I'm not sure if other users would want this, but I'd happily take a slightly larger design to add a touch strip, a few more buttons, and perhaps an endless encoder or a pitch fader per side.
deejdave 3:36 AM - 21 December, 2014
Your are basically describing the Akai AFX but I agree with your ideas as well as I prefer the SP1 shape/size as well as the two sets of pads. The AFX has everything you said but smaller pads & ONE touch strip. The pitch control is on the aMx though.

I personally do hope the Sp2 (or SP1MKII) or SP1Nexus LOL comes out soon. I also wpuld not mind SZ sized pads. I know this is FAR fetched but after Serato Remote 1.2 I REALLY wish some manufacturer could develop performance pads with actual text (cue point labels) right on the pads................ while I already adopted an entire cue point color system (blue = main beat, green = break, yellow = buildup, etc) the labels have proved to be HUGE.

Not for nothing I have been using the S8 a lot lately and I think some ideas from the F1 as well as X1 could help out here with the next SP1 design.
LargeFarva 10:55 PM - 31 December, 2014
That's what I found confusing, even with the AMX/AFX. The control split didn't make a lot of sense. The Z1/X1 split makes much more sense in my mind.

Like you said, the AFX doesn't have full playback and transport controls which I find odd. Full playback and transport controls for virtual decks are a must-have from my POV on DVS companion controllers, particularly ones meant to be used with 4 channel hardware, as almost no one is going to run 4 TTs.

I'm adapting my workflow to work with what I have. It really seems like the emphasis is on using sync and beat grid tracks, but I never liked relying on it as I don't do a lot of grid prepping in advance and just mix by ear. Plus, you can't even access grid edit with DVS as DVS doesn't support smart sync and for some reason you cannot edit the grids without smart sync. This makes gridding for using quantized effects and rolls a nightmare when using DVS live if you have a bad grid.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 12:53 AM - 1 January, 2015
It needs FLIP controls and yeah I know it's a combo of buttons already but there is room under the parameters buttons or the censor buttons.

Either way I'll take an SP1 with colored pads.
Serato, Support
Martin C 12:05 PM - 1 January, 2015
Hey Mr. Mac,

Other than the colored pads, was there anything else you've added to your mockup? Is there no other improvements or additions you'd make to this controller?

Colored pads seem like a logical step forward and provided the SP1 was a successful product for Pioneer, they might do an update at some stage. I am sure it would be valuable for you guys to share your feedback on any other aspect of the controller you'd like to see improved too, because I know Pioneer do read this forum.

Obviously I couldn't make you any promises myself, but there is no harm in some discussion about new ideas :)

To answer your question about an edit function on this forum (as if it hadn't already been answered for you :) there isn't one. Its been a bit of a policy to keep it that way on our forum here, and we think it keeps people honest if they can't re-visit there posts to manipulate them.

Most people are forgiving of a simple typo, so don't sweat that too much.
DJ SP (UK) 1:35 PM - 2 January, 2015
I've just picked up an SP1 after a huge price drop here in the UK - down to just £139!

Prior to this I was waiting on an updated unit with RGB pads, but the information I have is that it's extremely unlikely to happen, for a couple of reasons.

The SP1 hasn't been a huge seller for Pioneer, likely due to it's initial price of £329; the price was certainly a deal breaker for me when it was first released. This coupled with Pioneer being unable to get the price down for a follow up unit (apparently) leads me to believe they won't bother releasing one.
Davideon 6:13 PM - 2 January, 2015
Quote:
I've just picked up an SP1 after a huge price drop here in the UK - down to just £139!

Prior to this I was waiting on an updated unit with RGB pads, but the information I have is that it's extremely unlikely to happen, for a couple of reasons.

The SP1 hasn't been a huge seller for Pioneer, likely due to it's initial price of £329; the price was certainly a deal breaker for me when it was first released. This coupled with Pioneer being unable to get the price down for a follow up unit (apparently) leads me to believe they won't bother releasing one.

Mine arrived today from djkit.co.uk . Very pleased
Mr Wilks 3:13 AM - 5 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Mine arrived today from djkit.co.uk . Very pleased

And mine arrives today from decks.co.uk

I'm not even sure why I did it as I have the AFX but I need Serato Video control and as we can't remap existing controllers it will have to do.
deejdave 3:52 AM - 5 January, 2015
Still using my SP1 with the AMX over the AFX. You may do the same and be asking if you need the AFX still instead LOL. who knows?
Mr Wilks 3:58 AM - 5 January, 2015
Quote:
Still using my SP1 with the AMX over the AFX. You may do the same and be asking if you need the AFX still instead LOL. who knows?

I have a feeling this will happen too.

I used to use an SP-1 during the summer and liked it. It was the morning when I went to order one that my HDD died in my laptop so that took priority and now the price is right I'll take that offer up!
LargeFarva 4:58 PM - 5 January, 2015
It works well. I am now mapping a Kontrol F1 I conjuntion with it as a four deck controller to get all the other stuff that it doesn't have. Fairly intuitive setup, now i only need my keyboard for library searches.
Dokumentary 9:55 AM - 9 January, 2015
Quote:

Wait... What?

It's $200 in UK but still $300 in the US? That is odd. The $299 US price is pretty standard at most retailers. www.google.com

If I could pick one up for $200 (£139) here in the states, I'd have it here yesterday!
Dokumentary 9:56 AM - 9 January, 2015
Yup. BBD ain't BS'ing

www.google.co.uk
Mr Wilks 3:54 PM - 9 January, 2015
He's certainly not. I ordered one at the price drop and got it last Thursday.

Manufactured date was November too.

Here is the thread serato.com
LargeFarva 4:18 PM - 9 January, 2015
Quote:

I'd like some substantiation of this claim. Not saying it's wrong, but everything I've seen is to the contrary. Most of the SL2/3 users I personally know bought one as a Dicer upgrade when moving over to SDJ. This was at the release price point here of $400 USD and despite some of these guys have to stretch their budgets to grab one. I would be willing to bet that a majority of DVS SL migrating to SDJ users on 62s, SL2s, and SL3s opted for the SP1 as their companion controller to complete their kit.

Now the Neon is an option (AFX too, but it's a different kind of animal IMO than the Neon and SP1) but for hybrid turntablism, I honestly think the side by side layout of the SP1 can't be beat.
deejdave 5:37 PM - 9 January, 2015
TBH I would venture to guess it was a big seller here in the states and NOT abroad which would be supported by the drop of price there while not here. Just seeing these forums and seeing what's around I too see the SP1 as a pretty high seller.............. locally at least.
Davideon 10:55 PM - 9 January, 2015
Quote:
TBH I would venture to guess it was a big seller here in the states and NOT abroad which would be supported by the drop of price there while not here. Just seeing these forums and seeing what's around I too see the SP1 as a pretty high seller.............. locally at least.

I dunno on that. I can't see why it would sell less here than the US.
deejdave 4:09 AM - 10 January, 2015
I mean when an item IS selling you keep it at current price and even consider raising price. When an item is NOT selling you lower price. This is standard practice, no?

All I do know is the SP1 seems to be a lot more popular than I am hearing from elsewhere. TBH when I heard it was not selling over there I was very surprised.

I can vouch for two things here though. It seems to be plenty popular in NY & Fl area ad secondly the price has not changed all that much recently. That's all i do know for a fact.
Davideon 1:07 PM - 10 January, 2015
I don't know if it is selling less- logic says yes.

But I can't see why it would.

It was a huge price drop too.
Mr Wilks 5:08 PM - 10 January, 2015
Quote:
I don't know if it is selling less- logic says yes.

It was a huge price drop too.

Mine had a manufacturing date on November on it. I think they are selling in modest numbers. If mine was made back in May then I could understand that they would be a slow moving line but I think they are now at the price they (nearly) should have been. £150 I think.

I do know DJs with them here.

Unless Pio have dumped loads onto DJ retailers for a cheap wholesale price as a "shift 'em quick" method of raising more awareness?
deejdave 7:31 PM - 10 January, 2015
Quote:

Neither can I. TBH I was going off what I heard prior in this thread. For some reason I thought Phatbob said it so I took it as gospel. Not so sure though. I had a hard time grasping that the SP1 was not selling period!!! I was under the impression it was. When I first saw the price drop I though (SP2!!!!!! LOL)

I would love some insight into the actual numbers but as we all know that will NOT be happening. TBH I am having doubts on this especially since you two are saying the SP1 seems just as popular by you as it does the US.

The thing IS amazing and still my sub controller of choice over my Neon, AFX & Remote among other generic controllers (X1, F1 etc.)
Mr Wilks 5:28 PM - 11 January, 2015
I agree on that. I'm using mine with the SX as an exclusive video controller. I like it but it needs just a little bit more control.

If only we could map our controllers :(
deejdave 5:53 AM - 12 January, 2015
Quote:
I agree on that. I'm using mine with the SX as an exclusive video controller. I like it but it needs just a little bit more control.

If only LOL.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 4:03 PM - 12 January, 2015
The SP1 is like a MasterCard, NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT.

I don't care if I'm at home with the DDJSB the SP1 is ALWAYS there.

Now I haven't used any of the other products mentioned but the SP1 has become a big part of my flow, I honestly don't think I could quit using now 😜
LargeFarva 11:15 PM - 12 January, 2015
I'm telling you, it will (if it hasn't already) achieve the same status for Serato DJ that the dicers did for Scratch Live: the indispensible kit addition.
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:44 PM - 13 January, 2015
Even decksaver say this unit did not sell well and the requests to make a decksaver are so low they would never make one. So must be some truth in it.

I know now its cheaper people are picking them up. Think £329 was just taking the piss for a small plastic add on.
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:45 PM - 13 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

If only LOL.

MixEmergency done! :-)
LargeFarva 11:01 PM - 13 January, 2015
Quote:
Even decksaver say this unit did not sell well and the requests to make a decksaver are so low they would never make one. So must be some truth in it.

I know now its cheaper people are picking them up. Think £329 was just taking the piss for a small plastic add on.

While £329 is hefty for sure (was released here for $499 USD which was about £308 at the Oct13 release date) it's by no means a cheaply made device. It's the same all metal construction as other similar products so while I don't think it warranted the £329/$499 release price, it certainly is more than worth the current asking price now just from build quality alone.

Also, would anyone want a decksaver for it to begin with? seems kind of an odd type of device for one.

Don't get me wrong, there are some definite oversights with the design - build quality just isn't one.
LJ_WOOLSEY 11:20 PM - 13 January, 2015
Its plastic or at least mine is. But anyway ya its a good device i just can never find anywhere good to put it. So becomes alittle annoying. Sure i would want a decksaver and if you check out all the things decksaver make a saver for its shows how low requests/sales of the sp1 really was.

But yes the price it is now is spot on!
DJMIYAGI 11:33 PM - 13 January, 2015
Quote:

I recently contacted Decksaver and was told that a cover for the SP1 is coming this year (probably at NAMM if I had to guess).
LargeFarva 12:40 AM - 14 January, 2015
Quote:
Its plastic or at least mine is. But anyway ya its a good device i just can never find anywhere good to put it. So becomes alittle annoying. Sure i would want a decksaver and if you check out all the things decksaver make a saver for its shows how low requests/sales of the sp1 really was.

You're right, I was thinking of just the bezel over the face for the knobs and such.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 12:41 AM - 14 January, 2015
Quote:

Your DDJ SP1 is plastic?!?! Mine is an all metal housing, theres no way yours is plastic??

And yeah I don't need a deck saver because mine gets worked over almost every day.
deejdave 2:24 AM - 14 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If only LOL.

Unfortunately Mr. Wilks has something against our beloved Apple. LOL. Just teasing :)
deejdave 2:48 AM - 14 January, 2015
Quote:
Your DDJ SP1 is plastic?!?! Mine is an all metal housing, theres no way yours is plastic??

And yeah I don't need a deck saver because mine gets worked over almost every day.

Sold plastic but plastic nonetheless. The top bezel is aluminium. The DDJ-SP1 is no different than any other controller in the DDJ Lineup. All have the aluminum bezels. The SP1 is the most solid feeling though.

For a small test you could simply scratch (the bottom or side) it with a knife or something. Not thin scratch as it certainly does SEEM like metal and give off the impression as it gives off a white-ish residue when scratched as metal would turn "silver" or "metal like" but it is certainly plastic all around except for the top.

As far as a deck saver. Got too much gear to worry about stuff like that LOL. I just purchase a LOT of painters plastic and cover all my gear with two sheets. I replace these sheets monthly too as dust gets in no matter what!!
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:57 AM - 14 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Your is soecial then lol

I use deck savers to keep the equipment safe when going to and from gigs so it doesn't get damaged rather than to stop dust.

I never said build quality was bad just that £329 for small plastic controller is a ripoff your telling me it costs £199 to make and sell a ddj SB and £329 for a sp1 ?? That just does not cut with me! £139 for sp1 is much much more inline and on point with how much it always should of been.
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:58 AM - 14 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I recently contacted Decksaver and was told that a cover for the SP1 is coming this year (probably at NAMM if I had to guess).

Interesting i guess requests must have finally stepped up.
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:59 AM - 14 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If only LOL.

Unfortunately Mr. Wilks has something against our beloved Apple. LOL. Just teasing :)

You always get one lol
deejdave 7:00 AM - 14 January, 2015
True. Even further throw two touch sensitive platters, and a minimal 4 channel mixer section and you've got an SX.
Mr Wilks 7:15 AM - 14 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If only LOL.

You always get one lol

I promise gents... I will go to the dark side (one day).
Mr Wilks 7:18 AM - 14 January, 2015
I have the magma case for the SP-1 and would drop a Decksaver in it when the release 'em.

I have a Decksaver/Magma case combo for the SX and they work a treat.

Just patiently waiting for the official AMX/AFX case now.
farrell 6:09 AM - 20 April, 2015
I had some spare time and I was thinking about the wish list for the SP-2.

So I added some features, feel free to say what you think it may need i.e. split the controller into 2, add transport control, etc.

i795.photobucket.com

Disclaimer: This is just an idea not intended to offend anyone.
deejdave 2:21 PM - 20 April, 2015
I hate saying this as I mean no offense and I appreciate the work & time put in but I am not a fan. If we learned anything by comparing how people feel it is people prefer the SP1 layout due to the dual pads. Furthermore they make more sense when they relate to the decks via position. Some make it seem like it is hard to find a stand or a place for the Sp1 but put five minutes into it and maybe an hour of creativity and you've got what you need.
deejdave 2:24 PM - 20 April, 2015
Again I mean no offense and this is JUST my opinion. Feature-wise it looks like you're onto something.
Mr Wilks 3:32 PM - 20 April, 2015
Quote:
I had some spare time and I was thinking about the wish list for the SP-2.

So I added some features, feel free to say what you think it may need i.e. split the controller into 2, add transport control, etc.

i795.photobucket.com

Disclaimer: This is just an idea not intended to offend anyone.

I like the led 7 segment display and think this will be the future. I love that I can see the loop length on the AMX but with the FX panel closed I do wish I could see the beats when I momentarily turn the beats knob. I swap these all the y ime a nd need to keep opening the panel. Maybe one day...?

As for what is needed from an SP-2... I honestly don't think much at all. Coloured pads would be on it but only because that's a natural progression. I think flip would get is own button section but as is already included on the pads is not super essential.

We'd really see an SP-1 mk2 rather than an SP-2. It would just be a refined version of the first one. It has 99% of the functions used in Serato DJ in the original so it would just be a refresh I'd say. I could be wrong though and think there was a good effort in putting over an alterative form factor. I'm more of a fan of the original but think it would work well in some setups.
farrell 3:35 PM - 20 April, 2015
No offense taken man, I understand where your coming from, but something about reaching up \over bothers me, if there could be a better way integrate it that would be a plus.

When I look at the X1 and the K1 and think it just make sense being at the side of the mixer
as oppose to the middle on top. even the Native instruments D2 somehow it looks cleaner,
or if they introduce a kick stand.

Just an Idea!
deejdave 9:04 PM - 20 April, 2015
Makes sense. A friend of mine on the forums mentioned a two piece setup. Possibly this could be the answer as he said. I am certainly a fan of the kontrol controller layouts as well. I also hope the kickstands on the D2 catches on. Such small pieces of material yet so effective.