Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

one month within Serato, came from Traktor

Heltino 1:47 AM - 22 November, 2014
I just like to share my personal refelection after the change.
Traktor was for many years my tool of choice and I changed to Serato due to the strange behavior of Native Instruments and their bullshit hardware.

To make it simple I do as following:
"pro" means Serato is better than Traktor, "con" means Serato is behind Traktor.

pro:
- clearly the beat grid. it´s flex and, at least for me with a numark NS7II, total easy to adjust or correct. LOVE IT.
- the track collection: real like the smart crates. As well the flexibility of searching the whole computer is a plus
- effects: YES...strange. Traktor was known as "the" DJ software for effects. I can just tell: since izotope has given Serato a helping hand, the sound quality is great. from stock there are less effects, that is fact, but they sound real nice!
- GUI is more flexible, I like the "talking waveforms" as they are not so separated as in Traktor

con:
- in Traktor it is possible to "watch" a music source folder. Means each time you add something into this folder, at the next start Traktor notices the new files, add them to the collection and analyze them by auto (!). In Serato this just sucks. Find where the new files are, add to collection, analyze them, make sure the hardware is not connected or switched off as otherwise there is no real beatgrid option.... GUYS, you can´t mean this serious.
All advantage of the collection management is gone to hell just due to this. It´s a pain in the ass and there is no logical idea behind. PLEASE add the option that Serato watches a specified folder for new tracks and let Serato add them by auto to the collection with an analize.
- I don´t get why smart sync disengange itself everytime as you touch something. use a CUE...and be forced to enable it again... what is the point of this? if I like smart sync ON, I mean ON. no point to switch it off!
- the total wave form (the static one) is just ridiculous small. It´s so small that it is close to be total useless. Sometimes I feel like to try to read a book that is placed 12 miles away by binoculars. PLEASE make this bigger. Room is enough.
- Auto Gain in Traktor seems much better, please have a look on this. In Serato I need adjustments that are in Traktor not needed.
- Cover art: this is just available if I sacrifice a lot of visibillity in the library. Within the loaded decks it is, even as there is more room than possible to immagine, no cover. WHY?
I would love to see the cover art in the unused space of the decks. within the library I can switch this, that is fine, but within the deck I don´t have it. Why? There is room for it! And it´s as well pretty supporting sometimes. I have some remixed tracks, named same, difference is the cover...and at the end: it´s cool to have it by optics and helps to validate that the correct track is loaded.

Of course this list is not complete, but I like to share my opinion directly in the first month after I´ve changed the frontlines. 6 years Traktor vs. 4 weeks Serato :)
blackavenger 4:48 AM - 22 November, 2014
Hahaha, your "cons" are spot on!

I especially get a kick out of these......

Quote:
- the total wave form (the static one) is just ridiculous small. It´s so small that it is close to be total useless. Sometimes I feel like to try to read a book that is placed 12 miles away by binoculars. PLEASE make this bigger. Room is enough.

Hilarious......I soooo agree w' this. Especially when compared to Traktor's static waveform.

Quote:
- Cover art: this is just available if I sacrifice a lot of visibillity in the library. Within the loaded decks it is, even as there is more room than possible to immagine, no cover. WHY?
I would love to see the cover art in the unused space of the decks. within the library I can switch this, that is fine, but within the deck I don´t have it. Why? There is room for it!

Totally agree....oh yeah, and fix FLAC artwork!

Quote:
- in Traktor it is possible to "watch" a music source folder. Means each time you add something into this folder, at the next start Traktor notices the new files, add them to the collection and analyze them by auto (!). In Serato this just sucks. Find where the new files are, add to collection, analyze them, make sure the hardware is not connected or switched off as otherwise there is no real beatgrid option.... GUYS, you can´t mean this serious.
All advantage of the collection management is gone to hell just due to this.

This feature has been requested for as long back as I can remember. As a work-around, you can check out this 3rd party software, which will facilitate this while Serato pull their heads out from their asses.

alchimiedj.com
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 11:17 PM - 22 November, 2014
Hey Heltino,

Thanks for the feedback! A lot of what you've mentioned is feedback we're definitely aware of and have on our radar to improve in the future.

Quote:
- I don´t get why smart sync disengange itself everytime as you touch something. use a CUE...and be forced to enable it again... what is the point of this? if I like smart sync ON, I mean ON. no point to switch it off!

There's an option in the setup screen in the DJ preferences tab to keep Sync on all the time. It's called "maintain Sync on track load". Just enable that and you'll be good to go :)

Sam.
Heltino 11:53 PM - 22 November, 2014
Hi Sam,

I know the feature "maintain sync"...and I´m not good :)

So far I´m getting more and more used with Serato and do miss Traktor...after 10 beers, 2 minutes a month...so, let´s say, not significantly ;)

Fact is that as soon as you hit a CUE...sync switches from smart to normal sync.
And exactly that is annoying. I see no reason for that as quantize is available in Serato....so why?

Furthermore I would love to see a beat jump feature.
In Traktor I can just jump, quantized and in beat, by 1,2,4,8,16,32 whatever beats.
That is wounderfull and often used. Example: some house track with an overdone bass line part in the middle...just jump over, all fine.

What I can give as general feedback: SDJ is on a good way. I hated your software, sorry, in the past as it was far behind traktor in a lot of functions. The game changed.
For me it changed due to the hardware. With Serato I can get whatever I like, with Traktor I can go the chinese plastic approach for the same price tag...

BUT: I learned, getting used....and corrected my opinion.
SDJ is not perfect (who is that?) but on the right way. I love a lot of features and comparing to the past you are now total in a different position. I think in some points you have passed Traktor.

But there is room for improvement!
WHY IN HELL is the static waveform so terrible small? Please fix that ASAP!
I see no point why it must be like this and a little bigger (or in best case "select size in setup") would be a PLUS. See here in the forum: nearly 100% of the users who have read it agrees.

You have with smart crates a real advantage vs. Traktor. A REAL ONE. I love it.
BUT: You kill this in total by the missing "folder watch" option. In Traktor I define my music folder...each start of the software triggers a look up...if new files available, will be added to the collection and analyzed by auto.

In SDJ I have always to take care that:
- the controller is switched off to be able to reach the offline mode with the analyze option
- to remember which files in which folder are new and what is the name of them (your file mode does NOT show the import date or whatever!!). Classical in short words: A PAIN IN THE ASS. Nothing more. Your smart crate option together with the "folder watch" would be the ultimate perfect solution. PLEASE add this.

You did an unbelievable development in the last month/years. RESPECT for that.
For me and my workflow I Would simply say: add three things and you´re perfect for me without any complain.
1. beatjump together with the smart sync (so that I can as well use CUE points in sync)
2. static waveforms must be bigger
3. add a "folder watch" for the collection. THAT is, seriously, the most shitty point for me right now. It just sucks if you purchase music, save this sorted in different folders, do not use itunes and try to add them to the collection. Remeber folder, remember track name (what does not work alone, you need case based as well to know the file name)...add to collection AND drop them to the analyze icon.

Under the line: your advantage with the smart crates is just due to this gone to hell.
In Traktor I have no smart crates, yes, but the rest is by auto.
Means I start the software, wait a minute and just sort the "latest added tracks" to my playlist. Takes not even 20% of the time I need with your strange solution of adding tracks.

So Sam, who to sleep with to get this solved? :)
Panotaker 2:06 PM - 23 November, 2014
Heltino is right, the maintain sync on track load sucks. In Traktor, when you load up your next track, It automatically starts off in smart sync, in Serato, it starts off in simple sync, whether you have "maintain sync on track load" or not. You then have to hit sync again to start off on smart sync, it should automatically start off in smart sync, or at least add another check box so you could have it start off in smart sync when you load up your next track. The beat jump feature is another nice feature that Traktor has that SDJ doesn't have. If it does have it, I haven't figured out how to use it yet.
Serato, Support
Karl Y 11:09 AM - 27 November, 2014
Hi Heltino

Quote:
PLEASE add the option that Serato watches a specified folder for new tracks and let Serato add them by auto to the collection

this exists already, see here: serato.com
Quote:
MAKE NEW MUSIC APPEAR IN SDJ EVERY TIME YOU OPEN IT

Serato DJ and Scratch Live have a feature called 'Auto Import'. Basically anything you throw into this folder will appear in a 'Latest Imported' crate when you next open SDJ/SSL. That's kinda cool, but something you can do that makes it even better is to set it up so that any audio file you download from the internet shows up in your SDJ/SSL library the next time you open it. All you really need to do is open your internet browser, go to the browser settings and point the 'downloads' to your 'Auto Import' folder located in User -> Music -> Serato -> Auto Import

Regarding smart sync disengaging - its a design decision.

It allows the user to mix manually at any given time. E.g. when the beatgrids are off, or when he wants to scratch and drop the next track.

When you set a loop bigger than 4 beats, Serato DJ will keep smart sync engaged.
When you mess with the phasing, e.g. by scratching or triggering cues, we assume its a deliberate action.
The only reasonable alternative for it would be slip mode which you can engage individually, or some sort of auto-quantize for cue points when smart sync is on, but I'm pretty sure others would complain about the latter.

I agree smart sync could stay enabled when triggering cue points while quantize is set to 4 beats. Something to consider.
I would like to know from you though - when you scratch, what do you expect to happen to smart sync?
Smart sync being in blue mode only means that the grids are locked to each other.
Yellow means the tempos are in sync, but the phasing may be off.

You may also want to try if its any better for you when you turn the motor of your NS7 II off, since its wow and flutter might be interpreted by the software as scratch or nudge action from the user, throwing you out of smart sync.

Cheers
Karl
Heltino 5:38 PM - 27 November, 2014
Hi Karl,

I´ll check that auto import link. (first overview seems not my solution. I have the music on a dedicated internal drive and not on C drive...so I would need to configure my self "where" the auto import source is)

Regarding the smart sync:
I do not scratch (yes, I have a NS7II and do it NOT :D) but I know how Traktor handles this.
In Traktor you can as well switch it off whenever you like, just to point that out.

What you see there is for me the best solution.
Smart sync (beat sync in Traktor) stays on and works in combination with quantize if you jump between CUEs or do whatever. As soon as you touch the jog, the sync is ignored as long as you do it. So if you scratch: Sync is inactive (but still enabled) and as soon as you stop it, it´s engaged. Guys I know that do real scratches use no sync at all. they switch it off during this, so the "stay enabled" feature would not real disturb them.

In general I have no issues with the sync. Even with the motors on it works. (only thing does not in 1.7.1 is instant start, 1.7.2 has it but was not stable for me...have to test the latest version here as well)

At the end I believe I have just three improvement suggestions and, as far I read here, I´m not alone with it.
As all needed tools are already on board in SDJ, shouldn´t be rocket sience for you guys to implement it :)

Beatjump is nice and I would love to have it, but more painfull for me are the small static wave form and the missing "collection source folder auto import and analyze feature" :)

Under the line I can seriously say: I do not regret the change from Traktor to SDJ.
You made an awesome job on this at it´s pure fun.

Just my three points should be added....think about: Soon is X-MAS :)
The Return of Dj Sparky 12:18 AM - 28 November, 2014
So Sam regarding the auto import feature, wasn't it recommended not to use this folder as your master library folder as it cannot handle it,

and why not just change the option and be able to put a filepath in the settings so if you use a external drive, you know the practical way to do it, and allow multipal folders to be watched,

I have to say library management is one of the flaws in sdj and ssl and it's quite funny the software has been available for over 10 years and you still can't get the little details right,

and I think its time you opened the offline player up to be able to preview mix tracks, or incorporate some way to be able to preview mixing tracks for use on the go, or if your too concerned about piracy which you can get old serials of sdj for free if you know where to look, another way would be have it unlocked with compatible hardware the way it is but have a on screen mixer plug in and allow the master out to be routed through the on board audio so you can get it to your headphones, hell you could even charge $29 call it serato mix and get away with it,

i'm giving you guys to many good ideas, you need to step your game up serato