Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Support DVS for Numark NS7 II

Niko Santoro 7:17 AM - 16 October, 2014
I read docs and i see that DVS is supported with the Denon DJ MC6000MK2, Numark N4, Pioneer DDJ-SX2 and is also built into the Pioneer DDJ-SZ.

Is there in your plans the opportunity to have the support of DVS for the hardware controller "Numark NS7 II"?
dizzyrocks2001 5:33 AM - 17 October, 2014
Apparently the NS7 II can't support DVS at the hardware level.
djkurve 6:16 AM - 7 December, 2014
Quote:
I read docs and i see that DVS is supported with the Denon DJ MC6000MK2, Numark N4, Pioneer DDJ-SX2 and is also built into the Pioneer DDJ-SZ.

Is there in your plans the opportunity to have the support of DVS for the hardware controller "Numark NS7 II"?

To give you the short answer, yes. The NS7 II hardware is capable to support DVS. Ever since Serato dropped the announcement about controllers being DVS supported, Numark/Serato kept giving us the run-a-around. Here's my sources...
serato.com

"Quote: (August 4, 2014)
Will the NS7 2 be capable of DVS expansion?

(August 4, 2014)
No, unfortunately not, for the same reason as Pioneer DDJ SX and Numark NS 6"

Here's an explanation of that said reason. (August 4, 2014)
"The Numark NS6 is not capable to support DVS hardware wise.
This is a hardware limitation and there is nothing we can do about it. Sorry.

This is the same as with the Pioneer DDJ-SX

Even though it has the connectors at the back, it doesn't send the signals up the USB stream.
They are only sent to the built in analogue hardware mixers channels.
Serato DJ can only see the master signal (used for recording, including external sources) but not the individual channels."

Then about a month later came this response. Karl (from Serato) posted it. (September 9, 2014)

"This depends on the hardware. If the physical connection is there, but not implemented in the firmware to be forwarded to the sound card, then yes, a firmware or driver update can fix that.

I simply didn't know that it's apparently possible to update the firmware or driver of the NS7 mk2, to make its RCA inputs visible to the sound card. This is something that Numark needs to answer.
If they can do it, sure we are happy to support DVS with the NS7 Mk2. As of now, it's not possible. We tried.

Sorry for the confusion.

Karl"

So that response prompted me to reach out to Numark tech support (via telephone) to get some technical clarity. Here's what I was told from Numark tech support. (Septmber 10, 2014)

"The sound card within the NS7 II can be updated (via firmware) to allow Serato DJ to make the RCA inputs visible to the sound card."

So this little song and dance has been going on now for about 4 months and STILL no DVS support for the NS7 II. Numark needs to get off their asses and make this happen like 3 months ago.
deejdave 5:58 AM - 9 December, 2014
As you already know via the other thread you were active in Numark has stated it is possible and they even went step further in saying when it would be introduced (Early 2015).

The fact remains though that Numark has been guilty of the run-around as you suggest as well as making over the top and not for nothing flat out false claims from time to time. Many a times one finds themselves weeding through the BS looking for the truth themselves. At this point I am not sure who or what to believe but I do know for a FACT it is NOT safe to believe until Serato states it IS possible themselves. Numark saying YES could easily be them setting the stage to place the blame on Serato at a future date in an attempt to keep the NS7II relevant as well as keep the heat off themselves. Remember according to them this is "NS7II is the most powerful, capable Serato controller ever built" so having controllers costing less than the NS7II having more capabilities is certainly a BAD thing.

Trust this is NOT a biased POV against the NS7II as like I said previously I own it and dig it......
that being said I am not 100% on board with Numark as a whole. I have learned later in my life that assessing controllers on a device by device basis seems to be working out better for me than generalizing a entire company based on one or two devices. In short I am pretty much open to any professional gear.
djkurve 6:32 AM - 9 December, 2014
Quote:
At this point I am not sure who or what to believe but I do know for a FACT it is NOT safe to believe until Serato states it IS possible themselves. Numark saying YES could easily be them setting the stage to place the blame on Serato at a future date in an attempt to keep the NS7II relevant as well as keep the heat off themselves.

Serato is a software company. Why would Numark (the makers of the NS7 II) have to wait on Serato? This is obviously something hardware related to the NS7 II. (Sound card related more specifically.) That's why I reached out to Numark to inquire if the sound card had limitations for DVS support. To which I was informed by Numark tech support that it is 100% possible to support DVS by developing a driver/firmware update for the NS7 II. (Which would make the RCA inputs visible to the sound card. Thus allow DVS support for Serato DJ) Once Numark completes that task, all Serato has to do is add the NS7 II to the list of DVS supported controllers.
deejdave 7:08 AM - 9 December, 2014
Not sure where I said or implied that Numark would have to wait on Serato. What i DID say however is that I would not be surprised if Numark was "working" on said firmware update as we speak only to "finish it" and have the ball be in Serato's court at a later date.

Furthermore this is public information and by NO means warranting a phone call. They made an official statement on this publicly via their twitter account on Oct. 23 and clearly it would be via a firmware update as this is the ONLY kind of update there is for controllers.

Quote:
Once Numark completes that task
Is the exact part that is warrants the questioning. As many know Numark has a less than perfect track record with this sort of stuff as so a few have suggested here including myself LOL serato.com

To paint this picture in a way I am hoping you can relate keep in mind The Vestax VCI-380 and 400 units were BOTH set to receive this very same DVS expansion pack support spoken about above serato.com and we all know how this went................

Nothing is for sure until it happens. Having Serato give a date is as close to "set in stone" as you will get as most know this is not something they do until it is a 100% done deal. Numark saying this................. there is a good chance it is nothing more than marketing. Unfortunately this is the reality of it.

I have the NS7II. There is NO WAY I would purchase the DVS specifically for use with the NS7II anyways but being as I have the DVS expansion pack already as well I am all for this. Again NOT something I would ever use but I'm always down for free features. I have tried this exact setup with controllers that DO support DVS (My DDJ-SZ) as is and I can honestly say I have less of an understanding as to how this could be practical than I did before.

As always I must disclaim that the majority of what I am saying is opinion aside from any links I posted in which case they are exactly as described and unaltered. This is just conclusions & hypothesis made based upon past experiences with above developers. As all are I am hoping for the best myself.
djxcellerator 10:52 PM - 27 March, 2015
Still waiting on this. No updates in months...
Niko Santoro 6:24 AM - 21 April, 2015
Thanks to all guys!