DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

New SL3 ScratchLIVE Hardware from Rane/Serato - Musikmesse 2009

nik39 10:09 AM - 1 April, 2009
Videos from the press conference:

Watchwww.youtube.com <- video 1
Watchwww.youtube.com <- video 2
Watchwww.youtube.com <- hardware
djchrischip 10:21 AM - 1 April, 2009
All I hav to say is wow
airdrawn 10:31 AM - 1 April, 2009
the game really is up for traktor scratch. they might actually have to make some stable software now that their unique selling point of better hardware is voided!!
BentoSan 10:32 AM - 1 April, 2009
There is a bit of a write up about this unit over at DJTT - hwww.djtechtools.com

It will be intresting to see a fully fledged review and maybe even a nice detailed comparison post comparing quality\functionality of this compared to the NI units.
Mr No 10:42 AM - 1 April, 2009
April 1st? he he
sect 11:00 AM - 1 April, 2009
wonder how long for a 3 channel ttm57 then?
BriChi 12:20 PM - 1 April, 2009
SICK!!!! I want one now!
DeezNotes 12:28 PM - 1 April, 2009
Dope! Who was the old dude from the 1st video?
Tommy-V 12:49 PM - 1 April, 2009
Does anyone know if a trade in program for the SL1 will be available?
Or do we just have to spend another € 600 on a new interface?
sect 1:04 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Does anyone know if a trade in program for the SL1 will be available?
Or do we just have to spend another € 600 on a new interface?

few answers for you here mate, rane.com

'I just purchased an SL 1 and now I see the SL 3, can I exchange the SL 1?

There is no exchange program. Talk to the Rane dealer where you purchased your product for all returns, exchanges and refunds.'
DVDjHardy 1:04 PM - 1 April, 2009
Man, I was hoping that's an April 1st joke...lol.

-$xxx for my account.
airdrawn 1:16 PM - 1 April, 2009
Waaaah just got word that the UK RRP Price is £750!!
Caramac 1:25 PM - 1 April, 2009
From where???
hgonzal214 1:27 PM - 1 April, 2009
This is some bullshit I just purchased my SL 1 a Month ago and now they come out with this....I hope there is a trade in program, I dont feel like spending another 600 dollars
Konix 1:32 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
I just purchased an SL 1 and now I see the SL 3, can I exchange the SL 1?

There is no exchange program. Talk to the Rane dealer where you purchased your product for all returns, exchanges and refunds.
Caramac 1:34 PM - 1 April, 2009
Konix? Do you reckon I can exchange my SL1?
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:34 PM - 1 April, 2009
wow do you realise how many SL1s are about to appear on EBAY
C. William 1:35 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
This is some bullshit I just purchased my SL 1 a Month ago and now they come out with this....I hope there is a trade in program, I dont feel like spending another 600 dollars

The support and development still remains for the SL1.

Plus, this is just how business works.
Caramac 1:38 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
wow do you realise how many SL1s are about to appear on EBAY

My thoughts exactly lol.
dj joe g 1:40 PM - 1 April, 2009
it looks neat. i've been looking to get a second sl1, i guess i'll just get one of these.
www.rane.com
airdrawn 1:45 PM - 1 April, 2009
i'll still keep my sl1 as a spare & backup.
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:53 PM - 1 April, 2009
i wander if theyll release a new version of the 57 any time soon...ive been meaning to buy one but if a new ones commming out...
ekwipt 1:54 PM - 1 April, 2009
I wouldn't buy a 57 till it's updated bro
djphilly 1:56 PM - 1 April, 2009
still waiting for a price
Xfade 2:02 PM - 1 April, 2009
I think it's interesting how they mention Version 1.8.4 of the software on the Rane page a couple of times... What's up with that?
C. William 2:04 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:

Dj tech tools report that it should be around the same price as the current SL1.

So I'm guessing the SL1 will drop in price.
feniks 2:21 PM - 1 April, 2009
Dayaaam! Looks tight! I need one now! Anyone wanna buy a white sl1? J/k.
Caramac 2:37 PM - 1 April, 2009
Lol @ Feniks
sixxx 2:39 PM - 1 April, 2009
lol feniks
SiRocket 2:51 PM - 1 April, 2009
now the reality of the 57 sets in.... stuck with not just a box, but a whole mixer... LOL!

I really hope that the aux channel can be used for the sampler like the sl3 is using it...

Cool stuff, none the less on the sl3 though.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:54 PM - 1 April, 2009
i just read that the aux IN on the SL3 can be used to record your set straight through the SL3 box, another point off for the 57 for me
DJ CISC0 2:56 PM - 1 April, 2009
What kind of monitors are those in the background?
sixxx 2:56 PM - 1 April, 2009
SL boxes won't ever compare fully to a 57 cause you're having more control WITHOUT having to use the keyboard, or another controller.

But, yeah, the 57 better come up with some new shit already.... in the form of software updates.
SiRocket 2:59 PM - 1 April, 2009
i'm keeping my fingers crossed that rane/serato prepared for this and internally and externally the 57 can stay fresh with some updates via software..... i do like the controls on the 57, but they don't do me any good if the hardware is getting obsolete.

On the other hand, i have less clutter ;) lol
sixxx 3:02 PM - 1 April, 2009
No doubt.
djpuma_gemini 3:04 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:

It's like buying a mac, no trade in program just sell your old for new.
DJ Structure 3:06 PM - 1 April, 2009
So i just bought my TTM57 this PAST FRIDAY - so am I working on out dated gear or will the 57 be able to hang and not have a newer model dropped outta the sky??
AMF 3:09 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
So i just bought my TTM57 this PAST FRIDAY - so am I working on out dated gear or will the 57 be able to hang and not have a newer model dropped outta the sky??

I'd like to know this too! I just put in an ebay offer for a 57 (this morning!). =P
DVDjHardy 3:18 PM - 1 April, 2009
Come on all you guys complaining...57 aux in works just fine, as well as the mic input, to use with livefeed. Try it before you buy it...take your laptop (with 1.9 installed) to a local DJ supplier.
DJ Sniffles 3:29 PM - 1 April, 2009
I'm glad I never bought into the hype of the 57. I'd be pissed now. I've had my SL1 for 3 yrs now. I think it's had its worth for that long.
djmallon 3:30 PM - 1 April, 2009
Is the timecode changing? I haven't seen anything that says it is.
djphilly 3:32 PM - 1 April, 2009
am i the only one that wanted all ins and outs on one side?
SiRocket 3:33 PM - 1 April, 2009
the TCV looks like it might have a new label, but thats about it.
dead serious 3:33 PM - 1 April, 2009
SL1, you've been a great girlfriend..I mean what more can a guy ask for..wait. an SL3

also I was about to get a 57 but looks like I can save some money
djstix 3:34 PM - 1 April, 2009
Rebelguy 3:35 PM - 1 April, 2009
All you people bitching about your 57s...cmon now. Rane still has the 56 and the MP44. I doubt you will see an updated 57. A new mixer? Possible, but it will probably be a 4 channel.

Also, I really don't see the hype on the SL3. No offense to Rane but isn't this just the 57 innards packed into an SL1 box? Great business strategy as they can keep using he same parts they have been purchasing. I think for those that use other mixers like the DJM-800 it will be a nice step up as the 57 sounds way better than running an SL1 box.
djstix 3:35 PM - 1 April, 2009
oops should read the thread as well...sorry guys nik posted...duh...fail!
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:37 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:

Also, I really don't see the hype on the SL3. No offense to Rane but isn't this just the 57 innards packed into an SL1 box?

If you dont have a 57 and dont want to drop 1500 on it then thats the hype
dirtbag filthy 3:38 PM - 1 April, 2009
yeah i don't see how this is making the 57 obsolete, still the best mixer out there if you use ssl
djphilly 3:38 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:

looks the same to me?
SiRocket 3:39 PM - 1 April, 2009
what if some of us want 24bit sound, or aux usage for the sp6... hopefully the aux is available....

Thats all.
DJ Structure 3:39 PM - 1 April, 2009
I'm definitely not complaining about my 57 but I'm just concerned considering i just dropped alot of money, ya know.

After looking into it more they are basically catching the SL3 up to where the 57 is at... so it's all good.
SiRocket 3:40 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

looks the same to me?

could be then just outdated or future dated ad art....

www.djtechtools.com
DJ Structure 3:42 PM - 1 April, 2009
Oh and u still need the 57 to video mix - so I guess that's one more up for the 57 still
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:43 PM - 1 April, 2009
i dont think anyone is saying the SL3 will make the 57 obsolete but people are wandering if rane will drop a new upgraded mixer that will
DVDjHardy 3:45 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Oh and u still need the 57 to video mix - so I guess that's one more up for the 57 still

not true.
Rebelguy 3:45 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:

Actually you don't with the release of 1.9.
Rebelguy 3:47 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Also, I really don't see the hype on the SL3. No offense to Rane but isn't this just the 57 innards packed into an SL1 box?

If you dont have a 57 and dont want to drop 1500 on it then thats the hype

You can get the 57 for around $1100. The SL3 is probably still gonna be around $500 or more. At this point I would consider selling my old mixer and going for the 57...unless you were on something killer like a DJM-800 or an Allen & Heath.
n:deuce 3:47 PM - 1 April, 2009
shweet! good move rane/serato!
Rebelguy 3:50 PM - 1 April, 2009
Here's a question. If the SL3 is supposed to be for 1.9 and they are already available to ship then what version does the CD that comes with the unit have on it...haha. They are holding out on us...JK
n:deuce 3:51 PM - 1 April, 2009
whats up with the mixer in the back to the left on the wall?
SiRocket 3:53 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
whats up with the mixer in the back to the left on the wall?

exactly ;)
n:deuce 3:54 PM - 1 April, 2009
i think it is their 19" rotary now that i look at it.
DJ CISC0 3:54 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:

+1000

All on one side or on the top of the box would make for a cleaner look.
n:deuce 3:56 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Dj tech tools report that it should be around the same price as the current SL1.

So I'm guessing the SL1 will drop in price.

this would be another good move to compete with ni duo.
Dj.Mojo 3:56 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:

Definitly not!
BriChi 3:57 PM - 1 April, 2009
how much is the US price, GC just told me they have 3 and they are $700, Really???
Dj.Mojo 3:58 PM - 1 April, 2009
Why is everybody who owns a 57 scared of a new mixer?
There hasn´t one been announced. Only a new SL3.
That´s it. No new Rane 4 Channel whatever mixer. Full Stop.
SiRocket 3:58 PM - 1 April, 2009
forget white vinyl... who's got the sl3!!! LULZ!
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:59 PM - 1 April, 2009
was the SL3 announced before today??
MK 1 4:02 PM - 1 April, 2009
Anyone got a UK price????
Caramac 4:03 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:

Someone did say £750 but I hope that is a joke.
Dj.Mojo 4:04 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
was the SL3 announced before today??

No of course not.
But Serato releases once a year and that´s it.
At least the 57 is state of the art for another year. lol
soon-2-be-ex-FS2user_2.0 4:06 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:

elevintee-too dollers
Turn Table Tennis 4:12 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

elevintee-too dollers

sold!
MK 1 4:14 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

elevintee-too dollers

hahahahaha..

Quote:
Quote:

Someone did say £750 but I hope that is a joke.

If it is it's not funny..

WANT ONE YESTERDAY!!!!

I'm so happy :)

Rane / Serato = LIVING LEGENDS
dj_soo 4:14 PM - 1 April, 2009
the only thing I'd want about this is the 24-bit converters. From what I understand, the 57 has 24-bit effects, but the A/D converters are still 16 bit.

Still can't see myself selling my 57 for this tho. Way too used to the controls offered by the 57.
dj shadow from detroit 4:16 PM - 1 April, 2009
im sure its not a joke.the sl1 is gonna be sold still.whay wouldnt it be more then $500.00?

im wondering if the latency will be lower :)
dj_soo 4:17 PM - 1 April, 2009
Also, the fact that the box contains it's own pre-amps can lead the way to those pesky internal effects that all the n00bs keep asking about...
Audio1 4:21 PM - 1 April, 2009
My only beef here is.... Why is everyone so concerned about these product advancements and outdated gear concerns. Step up your fucking mix game already. Sheeesh!
djrob-e-rob 4:21 PM - 1 April, 2009
random question...what kind of speakers are those...they're dope lookin
stevie o 4:22 PM - 1 April, 2009
Ok I have some confusion.
1) what's so special about this sl3? I sold my sl1 and bought 2 57sls when it was released and have never needed the sl1 again. I watched the video posted on the sl3 and don't see the big deal. Can someone convince me otherwise. If there is a benefit to buying this thing I will because I am a big supporter of rane.
2) Was there an sl2? did I miss something?
Audio1 4:22 PM - 1 April, 2009
Rane and Serato provide this beautiful piece of software, these sweet CV's and these dope 56/57 mixers..... and you still mix like shit.... 1.9 with loop rolls, fx, video isnt going to make you a better DJ. Try not to worry so much about whats new and focus on the #1 subject at heart, THE MUSIC!
SiRocket 4:23 PM - 1 April, 2009
i like the soft pouch though, nice touch guys!
dj_soo 4:28 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
1) what's so special about this sl3? I sold my sl1 and bought 2 57sls when it was released and have never needed the sl1 again. I watched the video posted on the sl3 and don't see the big deal. Can someone convince me otherwise. If there is a benefit to buying this thing I will because I am a big supporter of rane.

The biggest thing is the sound quality - which makes the SL3 a step up on the 57 in that department. If you're of the "drunk people could care less about sound quality so I don't care either" crowd then this really doesn't do that much. The rest all seem to be functional changes and some design changes and some doors being opened for potential upgrades (most which are already available in the 57).

Chances are, you'll see ttm58 or something within the next couple of years with the improved guts of the SL3...

If you're used to the
dj_soo 4:30 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
My only beef here is.... Why is everyone so concerned about these product advancements and outdated gear concerns. Step up your fucking mix game already. Sheeesh!

this.

seriously. Rane/Ssertao release an upgrade for the first time in 5 years and y'all are bitching about it? Most tech sectors release an upgrade once a year. I remember I purchased my G4 powerbook and 2 months later, apple announced the dual-cores. Sure i was bummed but that's part of the tech sector.
dj shadow from detroit 4:31 PM - 1 April, 2009
well if you get better sound tighter latency.im glad for the update.im not gonna go buy it any time soon.i have a sl1 and a 57.im happy.

im not happy about a few things.like sound quality,key lock and latency.
dj_soo 4:31 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

The biggest thing is the sound quality - which makes the SL3 a step up on the 57 in that department. If you're of the "drunk people could care less about sound quality so I don't care either" crowd then this really doesn't do that much. The rest all seem to be functional changes and some design changes and some doors being opened for potential upgrades (most which are already available in the 57).

Chances are, you'll see ttm58 or something within the next couple of years with the improved guts of the SL3...

If you're used to the

oops - if you're used to the 57 controls and the sound quality isn't a dealbreaker for you (which it isn't for most, some just think it could be better), then there's no real point in going the SL3 from the 57.
jepe 4:32 PM - 1 April, 2009
hi,
i have a doubt.
there are 2 outputs (excluding the aux) . instead of 4.
how do we connect the phono/line outs? all from the same output? for play regular vinyl and serato?
tnxs
dj_soo 4:33 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
well if you get better sound tighter latency.im glad for the update.im not gonna go buy it any time soon.i have a sl1 and a 57.im happy.

im not happy about a few things.like sound quality,key lock and latency.

latency could possibly improve with the move the USB 2.0. I would think that key-lock is a software thing, not a hardware change but i could just be talking out my ass.
MK 1 4:34 PM - 1 April, 2009
It's all about the 24bits and pre-amps.. 909 will now sound as good (or better) than a 57SL..

i can hardly contain myself (no homo, misquote etc)
agentorange 4:35 PM - 1 April, 2009
i will buy all your 57s and SSL1s!!!!

thank you!
stevie o 4:37 PM - 1 April, 2009
Thanks soo.

So it seems to me like besides the sound quality, it would be a step backwards for me. I love the 57sl and it eliminates the middle man, meaning I don't have to do extra steps in wiring my setups. So I guess this isn't for me. thanks for the input no homo
dj_soo 4:37 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
It's all about the 24bits and pre-amps.. 909 will now sound as good (or better) than a 57SL..

i can hardly contain myself (no homo, misquote etc)

Yea, the pre-amps are huge for people who still play vinyl in their sets. Functionally gives all mixers Rane-quality pre-amps.

This actually means something unlike the shit-quality pre-amps that Torq forces users to use.
DjWoody 4:38 PM - 1 April, 2009
Sound quality is only gonna be as good as the file you're playing. If you're MP3 sounds like shit (cough like a lot of mashups), than your sound output will sound like shit. Off course, I could be wrong if the SL3 has a little fairy that will magically make shitty files sound amazing.
Kenny Q 4:38 PM - 1 April, 2009
I knew a new Soundcard/box would come but I'm suprised that it took so long.

I still think that a $1,100 TTM57 is a better deal.
Konix 4:41 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:

Not everyone has, wants or likes the TTM57. There are other mixers people want/like/use, you know?

The SL1's sound quality, while I'm not going to say sounds bad per se, but in comparison to other programs' soundcards, like NI's Traktor Scratch/Audio 8 (and now Audio 4), blows the SL1 out the water in terms of sound quality. Many have jumped ship to NI/Traktor for the better soundcard/output quality of the Audio 8.

The SL3 changes all that now.
jepe 4:41 PM - 1 April, 2009
the sound is very important. and if it improves its good.
i just pplay mp3 (320) or aif / wav.

and my doubt? anyone knows?
how do we connect the phono/line outs? all from the same output? for play regular vinyl and serato?
tnxs
MK 1 4:43 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Sound quality is only gonna be as good as the file you're playing. If you're MP3 sounds like shit (cough like a lot of mashups), than your sound output will sound like shit.

Tis true.. All the more incentive to play HQ files..
DJ Sniffles 4:44 PM - 1 April, 2009
SL3 + DJM-800 = The perfect set up
BriChi 4:45 PM - 1 April, 2009
i believe the there is now a thru button so no need for extra cables, wanna play regular, just click thru on the deck u want to play it through
MK 1 4:45 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:

Stick an innofader in there and i'm nursing a semi ;)
Deejay Z 4:46 PM - 1 April, 2009
It has a passthrough that built into the SL3 an will be controlled within the program
BriChi 4:46 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:

as soon as i get the sl/3, that is my setup
Konix 4:47 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
tnxs

Yes, no more THRUs like on the SL1, it's a software throughput. From the Rane spec sheet...

Quote:
*Software switchable Direct Thru connections for simplicity.

Basically, this means you only need the two line inputs on your mixer to play both SSL and your normal vinyl/CDs. No more phono inputs needed on your mixer.
Deejay Z 4:47 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:

and my doubt? anyone knows?
tnxs

It has a passthrough that built into the SL3 an will be controlled within the program
dj_soo 4:48 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Sound quality is only gonna be as good as the file you're playing. If you're MP3 sounds like shit (cough like a lot of mashups), than your sound output will sound like shit. Off course, I could be wrong if the SL3 has a little fairy that will magically make shitty files sound amazing.

indeed - but one thing that the SL3 does have is increased output. The SL1 was definitely on the quiet side which (i beleive) led to clueless DJs pumping up their gains to the point of distortion the compensate w/o realizing the internal clipping is still clipping. Have hotter outputs can level that off.

I will likely sell my SL1 to pick one of these up even though I barely ever use it. Even though I tend to bring my 57 to every gig locally, I plan on touring more in the next couple of years and I would rather just bring a box than take my 57 on the road.
dj_soo 4:49 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
tnxs

Yes, no more THRUs like on the SL1, it's a software throughput. From the Rane spec sheet...

Quote:
*Software switchable Direct Thru connections for simplicity.

Basically, this means you only need the two line inputs on your mixer to play both SSL and your normal vinyl/CDs. No more phono inputs needed on your mixer.

Also it could conceivably allow you to use CDJs and TTs off the same 2-channel mixer without needing a line/line mixer
DJ CISC0 4:51 PM - 1 April, 2009
I called Rock N Soul and they are expecting it within a week. He told me it's going to be $699. I highly doubt that price though...right?
MK 1 4:56 PM - 1 April, 2009
Sounds about right if the SL1 is hanging around..

SL1 > SL3 > 57SL
500ish 699ish 1000ish

Porsche Boxter > Cayman > 911
Konix 4:57 PM - 1 April, 2009
Also with the software throughput, you won't hear the loud annoying BEEEEEPPPPPPPPP of the signal if you accidentally hit your phono/line switch on your mixer. Or if you have an older crappy mixer, the THRU signal won't bleed through the channel.

Quote:
Also it could conceivably allow you to use CDJs and TTs off the same 2-channel mixer without needing a line/line mixer

Yep, I believe so. Each input on the SL3 is phono/line selectable now like the 57's inputs, so you can use one turntable and one CDJ now to control ScratchLIVE, and still play your normal vinyl and CDs, all with just the two inputs/outputs, even if you have a two channel mixer.
MK 1 4:58 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Also with the software throughput, you won't hear the loud annoying BEEEEEPPPPPPPPP of the signal if you accidentally hit your phono/line switch on your mixer. Or if you have an older crappy mixer, the THRU signal won't bleed through the channel.

Quote:

Yep, I believe so. Each input on the SL3 is phono/line selectable now like the 57's inputs, so you can use one turntable and one CDJ now to control ScratchLIVE, and still play your normal vinyl and CDs, all with just the two inputs/outputs, even if you have a two channel mixer.

OK, that's enough! Stop already, i'm going crazy..
AMF 5:01 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:

So very well said.

I guess we think the new converters will make our wack mixes sound superb.
dj_soo 5:01 PM - 1 April, 2009
ok - note how earlier in this thread (like 20 minutes ago) I didn't really think it was that big of a deal?

yea. I want one now.
MK 1 5:07 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
ok - note how earlier in this thread (like 20 minutes ago) I didn't really think it was that big of a deal?

yea. I want one now.

lol
jepe 5:07 PM - 1 April, 2009
thanks guys.
sounds pefect once that the thing i hate it s to arrive to a club and a dj is playing and i have to connect my serato. i still have to do it. but i need less cables and less pain in the ass. and we can play as it seems with 1 turntable and 1 cdj. which is good.:)
we ll just have to wait for the price.. everything more than 500€ its too much.
best regards guys.
Dj Shamann 5:08 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Rane and Serato provide this beautiful piece of software, these sweet CV's and these dope 56/57 mixers..... and you still mix like shit.... 1.9 with loop rolls, fx, video isnt going to make you a better DJ. Try not to worry so much about whats new and focus on the #1 subject at heart, THE MUSIC!

I know I'm dying of laughter over here. the other day it was the Traktor thread people where all worried, and I'm laughing at how quickly people will jump ship everytime something "new" comes out, no matter what it is. And it's funny to me because that'll get pretty expensive if you fall for every companies new bells and whistle marketting strategy every few months. Have some faith with a product that has treated you right and eventually you'll get rewarded.

Now that faith has been rewarded but yet in here they're freaking over their 57's. It's not like they're not still 57's for fuck sakes.

I'm still using a fifty-FOUR! And as you can see in this thread --> scratchlive.net (no logout)

..it's got a little wear and tear but I'm still not worried about getting a new one because even on this "obsolete" gear I can still smash a lot of Dj's to pieces with it. I don't even have fader caps anymore, I'm using the top to a USB key LOL

i68.photobucket.com

i68.photobucket.com

i68.photobucket.com

i68.photobucket.com

Trust me you could be a lot worse off then being "stuck" with a 57.
Dj Shamann 5:09 PM - 1 April, 2009
Sorry, C&P'd the links but forgot to actually quote them for the real url's

i68.photobucket.com

i68.photobucket.com

i68.photobucket.com

i68.photobucket.com
mastermind 5:12 PM - 1 April, 2009
i dont want a new box!!! i want a new mixer!!!
marcb 5:16 PM - 1 April, 2009
Just have a question about the new box. Does anyone have a different price than 699, because I think places like guitar center are trying to sell it for that or even more than that cause its new. Alot of guys that use this program are old skool and been in the industry for a long time and know when they are getting taken advantage of like myself. Just because the msrp is 699 doesnt mean you sell it for that and more cause its 1 day old. Im sure these stores are paying alot less to get them in the sotres and are trying to take advantage of the dj's,
since things aren't moving off the shelves like they used to. I really want it but not for 699 way to much when it almost does the same as the old box....... please help.........
Millz 5:21 PM - 1 April, 2009
$879 usd retail
SiRocket 5:21 PM - 1 April, 2009
thats why you makes friends with a wholesale guy and take care of him when he needs help or deals too ;)
DJ Sniffles 5:22 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Just have a question about the new box. Does anyone have a different price than 699, because I think places like guitar center are trying to sell it for that or even more than that cause its new. Alot of guys that use this program are old skool and been in the industry for a long time and know when they are getting taken advantage of like myself. Just because the msrp is 699 doesnt mean you sell it for that and more cause its 1 day old. Im sure these stores are paying alot less to get them in the sotres and are trying to take advantage of the dj's,
since things aren't moving off the shelves like they used to. I really want it but not for 699 way to much when it almost does the same as the old box....... please help.........

At the end of the day, business is business and people are out to make a profit
stevie o 5:23 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:

exactly, also. Lets not forget about the sound system. That to me is step number 1 for sound quality. If your playing a set with shitty equipment its gonna sound like shit regardless of the bit rate or if your using a sl3 or whatever. If you have a top notch system with compressors, eq's crown amps etc, set up by a qualified sound technician, than it will sound amazing. I have always believed setting up a system is an art, not everyone can do it and proper training is required.
DjWoody 5:24 PM - 1 April, 2009
While the improvements on the SL3 are welcomed, I'm kinda dissapointed that they didn't include dual USB for easy laptop switching. That's a feature that's very long overdue. I'm sorry for this next comparison, but the new Traktor lets you connect two set ups to the same box. That's something that Serato needs to do NOW.

Since we waited 5 years for a revised box, than I guess easy laptop switching won't be possible for another 5 years. Unless, they come up with some sort of dongle.

The 3rd deck would be awesome, but it seems like the software isn't ready for it yet. However, they do mention that it's coming and it will be possible with the SL3.
DjWoody 5:24 PM - 1 April, 2009
BTW, did any one else noticed that SAM Mentioned that the new SL 1.9 is out? WHERE IS IT?
Henry GQ 5:27 PM - 1 April, 2009
i cant wait.
Henry GQ 5:28 PM - 1 April, 2009
wait till all the cali people wake up and see this...
this thread is gonna blow up LOL
MK 1 5:28 PM - 1 April, 2009
2nd release candidate is the latest, think that's what he meant..

May actually be 1.8.4.

1.7. went to 4..
djphilly 5:29 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
wait till all the cali people wake up and see this...
this thread is gonna blow up LOL

lol i was up first thing this morning! darn school :(
DjWoody 5:30 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:

Nah, 3rd Release Candidate has been out for a few weeks.
djphilly 5:31 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
$879 usd retail

Where did you get that price? i think thats ridiculously high
MK 1 5:31 PM - 1 April, 2009
oh well, shut my mouth..
WuaKeeN 5:32 PM - 1 April, 2009
Ok, for your basic DJ that does not use effects & such & just mixes music, the SL1 should still be good for them correct? I see no advantage of even thinking of swapping from SL1 to SL3. I think for the new adopters go ahead & go with the latest & greatest but if you have SL1 & are not in to effects & other things, we are ok with SL1.

I am thinking of getting the 57 but its a toss up between the PIO DJM-800 & the 57 right now. No rush as I have a perfectly good PIO now, the DJM3000 but I have some cash just burning a hole in my pocket but I need to justify the expenditure...
Dj Shamann 5:33 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Nah, 3rd Release Candidate has been out for a few weeks.

Has it? I got an email a few days back saying realease candidate 2 and if there was no issues that would be it. I haven't DL'd yet though because the version I'm on now works fine, figured why mess with a good thing.
BriChi 5:34 PM - 1 April, 2009
Agiprodj is $699 also
AMF 5:35 PM - 1 April, 2009
I'm still getting a 57. Who wanna fight?
Henry GQ 5:35 PM - 1 April, 2009
699 is better LOL
but im glad they are charging more! and not lowering the price of anything....
u wanna be a real dj ? buy real gear fukrs...
Henry GQ 5:36 PM - 1 April, 2009
more than half u guys dont even pay for music...
u should have been aroudn when u had to pay 7-20 bucks for a record. shit uthafukr shit!
Dj Shamann 5:39 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
u should have been aroudn when u had to pay 7-20 bucks for a record. shit uthafukr shit!

I'm multi genre, used to cost me near $600 a week on big shipment days, that's almost a new SL3 weekly. Boy times have changed.
DenkiBlue 5:39 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
I really want it but not for 699 way to much when it almost does the same as the old box

You gotta be kidding?

(all according to launch vids)

1. 24Bit
2. Pre-Amps
3. Extra 2in/2out
4. Much better design
5. Better USB connection
6. Kensington Lock
7. Ready for the 3rd deck which must be almost on the doorstep
8. Ready for Ableton sync
9. Internal s/w thru switching
10. USB 2.0

And I'm sure there are more!
Henry GQ 5:41 PM - 1 April, 2009
yup...i hate whines...
people that complain are making less than 200 bucks a night.
step ur game and charge more.
MK 1 5:42 PM - 1 April, 2009
where's 1.9??
DeezNotes 5:42 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

I'm multi genre, used to cost me near $600 a week on big shipment days, that's almost a new SL3 weekly. Boy times have changed.

You should have skipped a week and bought a new mixer. Seriously. At least some knobs... holler at Dean or something... SOMEONE GET THIS MAN SOME FADER CAPS!
Millz 5:43 PM - 1 April, 2009
I got that price from my mama. Shouts to Mike and Dean woot woot
Henry GQ 5:44 PM - 1 April, 2009
steve m said.... the bald dude. LOL
basically noone likes this guy, and they all want him out.
marcb 5:47 PM - 1 April, 2009
No one asked you for your rude mouth answer Henry I just wanted to know is that the price. Its not about who a real and fake dj is so watch your mouth
CMOS 5:48 PM - 1 April, 2009
[musiclee] Whens the SL4 drop? [/musiclee]
Henry GQ 5:48 PM - 1 April, 2009
why dont u watch it for me?
DeezNotes 5:49 PM - 1 April, 2009
....as the thread makes a hard left turn
DVDjHardy 5:49 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
[musiclee] Whens the SL4 drop? [/musiclee]

lol
AMF 5:50 PM - 1 April, 2009
*in my best Rodney K voice

Can't we all just get along?
Millz 5:51 PM - 1 April, 2009
I just ordered one, be here in a day or 2. Ill take pics :)
WuaKeeN 5:52 PM - 1 April, 2009
Ahahahahaha! you people kill me...
Henry GQ 5:53 PM - 1 April, 2009
i cant wait to see how this sounds...
i am pumped..
it will be cool to see the rubber feet and everything else.
Millz 5:53 PM - 1 April, 2009
oh, does anyone wanna buy a sl1 box? 400 bux :)
Henry GQ 5:54 PM - 1 April, 2009
LOL
Millz 5:54 PM - 1 April, 2009
lol sorry that is a joke, no ban no ban!!
Millz 5:57 PM - 1 April, 2009
DJ Henry GQ (hearts) rubber feet LoL
Dj Shamann 5:59 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:

You should have skipped a week and bought a new mixer. Seriously. At least some knobs... holler at Dean or something... SOMEONE GET THIS MAN SOME FADER CAPS!

LMAO!!!

Yes please!! I don't need a 3rd deck, I don't need 2 USB's, my 54 was built 20 years before the internet so it's never even HEARD of software updates...I just need some fader caps! That's all I ask and I won't trouble you for another 10 years which by then people will be pissed about not being able to run Serato with the new mind control software that Traktor has and all I'll need is a new RS1!

;p

BTW, who's Dean? is he a magic man with a replacement transformer switch for my 54?
Millz 6:01 PM - 1 April, 2009
He was the nice guy hitting on my gf in Miami...he liked her ass...and I got a nice new lappie bag because of my girls nice ass :)
Henry GQ 6:05 PM - 1 April, 2009
u pimp.
sixxx 6:06 PM - 1 April, 2009
Is this where the fight is about to break out?
Dj Sparky 6:06 PM - 1 April, 2009
so does it have a new time code and have there been any changes to the code or is it the same?
sixxx 6:06 PM - 1 April, 2009
lol Sparky
Henry GQ 6:08 PM - 1 April, 2009
u dj so bad, u come in here picking fights LOLOLOL
sixxx 6:09 PM - 1 April, 2009
You DJ so bad, you gave your SL1 an STD. Oh wait, What? lol
Henry GQ 6:10 PM - 1 April, 2009
hahashashahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
i am seriously cryin right now.
thats why im gettin an sl-3
dj lad 6:14 PM - 1 April, 2009
Guys... it is April 1st. You know that right?
dj lad 6:16 PM - 1 April, 2009
Ahh, maybe I'm the fool.
djrayray0981 6:16 PM - 1 April, 2009
You DJ SO Bad, Rane had to skip on making the SL2, in hopes you would retire. "Where’s the SL2, did I miss something"
djbigboy 6:17 PM - 1 April, 2009
who was the chick in the back at the opening of the video (if we are going who's who)

This seems like an exciting announcement. It doesn't make the SL1 obsolete. Just watching the initial video, I do wish it had 2 USB for switching out djs, but props to rane for coming thru...
dj lad 6:17 PM - 1 April, 2009
I feel dumb for having purchased a new SL-1 in January. Dammit.
sixxx 6:17 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Call or email Kelly here at Rane. We have hub caps as spare parts we'll sell and mail you. 425-355-6000

Wow. So, that's where my lost hub caps end up.
Henry GQ 6:18 PM - 1 April, 2009
i think it does have 2 usbs....
Millz 6:18 PM - 1 April, 2009
Anyone speak German? :D
7G 6:19 PM - 1 April, 2009
I'll stick with my good ol SL1 and switch when Serato 2 hits the market...
That's for sure...
Millz 6:19 PM - 1 April, 2009
Anyone speak German? :D i just sold my sl1 box for 425 :)
Grandpagotgame 6:19 PM - 1 April, 2009
Sound quality is definitely going to be better, but your sound quality is only ever going to be as good as the weakest link in the sound system. Those of you who own 57's stop worrying the 57 will not be obsolete as I heard somebody say. SL3 looks sick but SL1 will definitely continue to get the job done for some time.
Henry GQ 6:19 PM - 1 April, 2009
hey
did u guys see that old dood, that walked over to sam... and was like lookign over his shoulder...
i thought he was gonna interupt the conference....

like..
hey sonny, whats that gizmo?
sixxx 6:20 PM - 1 April, 2009
Grandpagotgame is right... It baffles me when people talk about sound quality... yet they play crappy 128kbps files. hahahaha
Dj.Mojo 6:21 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Anyone speak German? :D i just sold my sl1 box for 425 :)

Ich spreche Deutsch. Why do you ask?
Henry GQ 6:22 PM - 1 April, 2009
u dj so bad, u play files with 14 kbps files
Millz 6:23 PM - 1 April, 2009
I love Dutch! Dutchmasters woo, reminds me of the good ole days.

I sold my sl1 box to a dude in germany.
Millz 6:26 PM - 1 April, 2009
LoL @ Germantown, Pennsylvania!
djbigboy 6:27 PM - 1 April, 2009
I think folks should be able to exchange their new SL1 box for an SL3 plus, what $400 cash? (snickers)

I think the price point on this sucker might be a touch high. I could see $100 or maybe $200 more...but $899 is a lot...

I think maybe thats Ranes way of saying "Hey, you want the best you gotta pay for the best". You want cheap, go with virtualdj or something else..
djrayray0981 6:28 PM - 1 April, 2009
u dj so bad, your headphones whisper "kill me, kill me"
Millz 6:34 PM - 1 April, 2009
Henry GQ cracks me up
DJ GaFFle 6:38 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
oh, does anyone wanna buy a sl1 box? 400 bux :)

You might have to knock a couple of hun' off of that price once the tidal wave of SL1s hit Ebay.

So in what way is the SL3's 24bit audio converters different than the 57's supposed 16bit audio converters? Will it make much of the difference in sound quality? I hope Rane doesn't upgrade the 57 anytime soon. I need that money for the NS7...
Rebelguy 6:41 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
the only thing I'd want about this is the 24-bit converters. From what I understand, the 57 has 24-bit effects, but the A/D converters are still 16 bit.

Still can't see myself selling my 57 for this tho. Way too used to the controls offered by the 57.

Their website specs state the following:

General Specifications:
..........Maximum Input (all inputs): 4Vrms
..........Maximum balanced output (main and booth): 8Vrms
..........Maximum unbalanced output (FlexFx and AUX): 4Vrms
..........Mixer digital audio: 24-bit, 44.1 kHz, 102 dB dynamic range
..........USB digital audio: 16-bit, 44.1 kHz, 102 dB dynamic range
..........Crosstalk: -75 dB re 0 dBFS, 1 kHz

What is the difference between Mixer digital audio and usb digital audio? Hi I'm new.
Millz 6:41 PM - 1 April, 2009
I already sold it bro, 3/4 of the djs dont even know the sl3 box exists. I got 425 for it. (and a mp3 cd full of my mixes) woo
Rebelguy 6:42 PM - 1 April, 2009
They should drop the SL1 price to compete with the new NI shit then mke the SL3 the same price as the current SL1 pricing.
blackavenger 6:43 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

The biggest thing is the sound quality - which makes the SL3 a step up on the 57 in that department. If you're of the "drunk people could care less about sound quality so I don't care either" crowd then this really doesn't do that much.

Ahh Yeah!

I'm gonna order mine next week.......I don't care how much it costs, if the sound quality is improved, I'm sold!!
Millz 6:45 PM - 1 April, 2009
I (heart) technology
DJ GaFFle 6:47 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
I already sold it bro, 3/4 of the djs dont even know the sl3 box exists. I got 425 for it. (and a mp3 cd full of my mixes) woo

Whoever bought it is gonna be Sallll-Teee!
djbigboy 6:47 PM - 1 April, 2009
i am with you on that rebel - imagine all the clubs that would do an install with the boxes being so cheap. Rane could get a wider coverage of the market its already dominating.
airdrawn 6:48 PM - 1 April, 2009
just got confirmation that seinheiser uk (UK Rane distributor) is recommending retailers sell it for £749. so if you're in the uk, i doubt you'll get it cheaper than £700. fact.
DJ GaFFle 6:48 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Their website specs state the following:

General Specifications:
..........Maximum Input (all inputs): 4Vrms
..........Maximum balanced output (main and booth): 8Vrms
..........Maximum unbalanced output (FlexFx and AUX): 4Vrms
..........Mixer digital audio: 24-bit, 44.1 kHz, 102 dB dynamic range
..........USB digital audio: 16-bit, 44.1 kHz, 102 dB dynamic range
..........Crosstalk: -75 dB re 0 dBFS, 1 kHz

What is the difference between Mixer digital audio and usb digital audio? Hi I'm new.

I'm not sure but it unfortunately looks like a bottle-neck.
jepe 6:48 PM - 1 April, 2009
toooo much unfortunately...
jepe 6:52 PM - 1 April, 2009
too much for who already got the old one, not for who s buying for the first time.
blackavenger 6:52 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

OK, that's enough! Stop already, i'm going crazy..

Yeah, I feel the same way!!!

I'm as giddy as a school girl!

Can't wait!!
SiRocket 6:53 PM - 1 April, 2009
this price complaining is what is going to set apart the real hustlin and money making dj's from the bedroom dj's who are in the big leagues yet.

Just like real graphic/web designers in their industry who don't fret spending coin on getting the latest adobe software.

*go ahead and flame me... but its the truth.*
BriChi 6:57 PM - 1 April, 2009
I agree %100
jepe 7:02 PM - 1 April, 2009
yes.. in part i agree.. i am just complaining because i just can t afford it right now. i i would like.. not telling that isn t the right price for such a product.
GRiNDBoX 7:06 PM - 1 April, 2009
so what will happened to the previous owner who just bought a new sl1? hmmmm
BriChi 7:08 PM - 1 April, 2009
trhe sl-3 will not make or break a dj vs the sl-1, the users that want better sound quality and a few more options will be will to pay the $700, I think compared to what is out they should drop it to maybe $650 because there are competitors BUT, Serato IMO is still the leader
Millz 7:08 PM - 1 April, 2009
Hate to be him/her lol
CMOS 7:08 PM - 1 April, 2009
They will use their SL1 to do 3 gigs at 200 bux a pop n buy a damn SL3. You guys are making it seem like this thing is $30k
CMOS 7:09 PM - 1 April, 2009
Think about the SL1 when it came out, it was like 600 now you can get it for about 450ish.

You want the next level hotness in the first 3-6 months, open ya wallets bishes.
CQ 7:10 PM - 1 April, 2009
time to sell my SL1 box
BriChi 7:11 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
so what will happened to the previous owner who just bought a new sl1? hmmmm

He gets a great product that is $200 cheaper then the new one. Still a win situation in my eyes
BriChi 7:11 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
time to sell my SL1 box

you better ebay it for a 1 day listing before everyone finds out there is an sl-3
airdrawn 7:12 PM - 1 April, 2009
i'm happy to spend £750 on an sl3. no worries. if you gig out every weekend, this little box will make your life so much better you won't believe.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:12 PM - 1 April, 2009
the price they are saying prob wont be the sale price anyway they said thats the suggested retail, if you ever look at GC's website or any catalogs people never really sell stuff for suggested retail anyway, itll be a tad more affordable
BriChi 7:14 PM - 1 April, 2009
I think the srp is $899, so $700 is good

I know AGI just quoted me $699 too so it is not just GC
Millz 7:16 PM - 1 April, 2009
when i called the local GC here this morning they said it wont even be in stock for 7 - 10 days...weak
bourbonstmc 7:17 PM - 1 April, 2009
Note to Rane/Serato: releasing new products on April Fool's Day is not exactly the best timing...
BriChi 7:18 PM - 1 April, 2009
Why? I dont think anyone thinks this is a joke
blackavenger 7:26 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:

Before I actually watched the videos, I thought it was! It wasn't on Skratchworx when I went there this morning, and he usually gets the drop on everything, so I figured it was an April Fools joke. I'm sooo glad it's not!
dj_soo 7:27 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Grandpagotgame is right... It baffles me when people talk about sound quality... yet they play crappy 128kbps files. hahahaha

um. pretty sure the majority of people that complain about sound quality in the box are going to be playing 320s or wavs.
Millz 7:30 PM - 1 April, 2009
/me wav's
BriChi 7:30 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Before I actually watched the videos, I thought it was! It wasn't on Skratchworx when I went there this morning, and he usually gets the drop on everything, so I figured it was an April Fools joke. I'm sooo glad it's not!

lol,,, me too
monkeybiz 7:36 PM - 1 April, 2009
It even comes with a ScratchSac™!!
scottymac327 7:40 PM - 1 April, 2009
I just purchased SL1 on Friday March 26. Is SL1 returnable to the store where purchased?
BriChi 7:42 PM - 1 April, 2009
i love to scratch my sac, perfect!
BriChi 7:43 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
I just purchased SL1 on Friday March 26. Is SL1 returnable to the store where purchased?

should be, most stores have a 14 day to 30 day return policy. Where did you get it? check the back of the receipt, usually it will say
dj_soo 7:43 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the store would probably have a better answer for you than an internet forum.
nik39 7:53 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Also, I really don't see the hype on the SL3. No offense to Rane but isn't this just the 57 innards packed into an SL1 box? Great business strategy as they can keep using he same parts they have been purchasing

Hey Rebelguy,

actually these can't be the same parts, cause the SL3 is USB2.0, while the SL1+TTM57+MP4 are USB1.1.

Quote:
While the improvements on the SL3 are welcomed, I'm kinda dissapointed that they didn't include dual USB for easy laptop switching. That's a feature that's very long overdue. I'm sorry for this next comparison, but the new Traktor lets you connect two set ups to the same box. That's something that Serato needs to do NOW.

DjWoody, how would that work? The Traktor A4/A8 (soundcards) only have one USB socket.
Rebelguy 7:58 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Also, I really don't see the hype on the SL3. No offense to Rane but isn't this just the 57 innards packed into an SL1 box? Great business strategy as they can keep using he same parts they have been purchasing

Hey Rebelguy,

actually these can't be the same parts, cause the SL3 is USB2.0, while the SL1+TTM57+MP4 are USB1.1.

Quote:

DjWoody, how would that work? The Traktor A4/A8 (soundcards) only have one USB socket.

Hey Nik,

I was more referring to the internals rather than the USB connector. Sorry for the confusion. I am going to go out on a limb and assume they are the same. The new 56 is basically a stripped down 57 so it would only make sense to use the same convertors, etc for the SL3.

I was really considering buying one but I honestly haven't used my SL1 in over 4 months. All the clubs I work with now either have the 57 or the SL1 already installed.

Guess I should have dumped my SL-1...ah well. It made its money back many times over by now.

So who's gonna be the first person to mod an SL3 into a mixer?
dj_penguin 8:02 PM - 1 April, 2009
Interesting new product, but the price is way too high, especially without any sort of trade-in program.

It's tough to understand why Rane/Serato decided to put out a product offering that's nearly 50% more expensive than the previous product (SL-1) in the teeth of one of the largest recessions ever to hit the global economy.
nik39 8:05 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
I was more referring to the internals rather than the USB connector. Sorry for the confusion.

Cool, no worries, I just wanted to make sure in case anything is unclear.

Quote:

No doubt... this will be Kool-AKIEM :)
mastermind 8:07 PM - 1 April, 2009
I love my 57 but would really love a new mixer ready to go for the future waive of serato updates. Lets be real. We need more than two channels on a mixer. I love the faders on the 57 and how reliable it is. I have abused mine and the mofo works like a champ. I WOULD LOVE BETTER BUTTON LAYOUT!. I like how simple and clean looking the 57 is. Not a bunch of lights, numbers, crap on it. Just what you need.Just give me more channels!
DJ Josh V 8:10 PM - 1 April, 2009
Blah Blah Blah.......But is it stable? I'll wait for the 1 batch to roll out and get the next generation
SiRocket 8:14 PM - 1 April, 2009
i don't understand why people want a 4channel "57 style" mixer when serato is still 2channels and most likely will be 3 in the future....
dj_soo 8:16 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hey Rebelguy,

Quote:

Hey Nik,

I was more referring to the internals rather than the USB connector. Sorry for the confusion. I am going to go out on a limb and assume they are the same. The new 56 is basically a stripped down 57 so it would only make sense to use the same convertors, etc for the SL3.

I was really considering buying one but I honestly haven't used my SL1 in over 4 months. All the clubs I work with now either have the 57 or the SL1 already installed.

Guess I should have dumped my SL-1...ah well. It made its money back many times over by now.

serato.com
MSF 8:17 PM - 1 April, 2009
I wonder if Rane/Serato would have made more money off the SL3 if they market'ed it as the 'PRO' model..? hmm..
blackavenger 8:22 PM - 1 April, 2009
I knew there would be at least one thing I wouldn't like about the SL3, and here it is - www.rane.com

Why in the hell did they put the power supply plug-in & USB input on the same side as the line inputs? I like how they are on the SL1! With those inputs on the back along side the turntable/cd inputs, you are able to have your cables lay naturally. Does that make sense? For instance, with my Odyssey coffin, now the USB & Power Supply cable will have to be ran from the front around to the back, potentially falling onto the face of my mixer. Not a deal breaker, per se, but a stupid design change non-the-less!
SiRocket 8:24 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
I wonder if Rane/Serato would have made more money off the SL3 if they market'ed it as the 'PRO' model..? hmm..

to save us all the headaches from no name nOOb's getting a the "SERATO PRO" and talking down to a veteran that is on regular "SERATO"...
DJ GaFFle 8:27 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

to save us all the headaches from no name nOOb's getting a the "SERATO PRO" and talking down to a veteran that is on regular "SERATO"...

LOL
SiRocket 8:30 PM - 1 April, 2009
seriously... nothing deserves the pro name unless if gives us gaffle or bandoma cuts automatically... :) LOL
Serato
Sean.C 8:31 PM - 1 April, 2009
Hi All

so a few folks have been asking "what happened to SL-2?"

Watchwww.youtube.com

there you go, keeping it real, old school rave styles!

S
SiRocket 8:31 PM - 1 April, 2009
*it
djdragon 8:38 PM - 1 April, 2009
EmapthSL LOL out soon

Oh and NI Traktor Duo who?
dj_soo 8:38 PM - 1 April, 2009
you know the best thing about this announcement? Remember all the speculation that Serato and Rane were on the outs due to them working with Vestax and Numark?

This just shows that both companies are still committed to keeping the relationship going...
SiRocket 8:41 PM - 1 April, 2009
serato knows how much we hate numark.... ;)
airdrawn 8:44 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

No doubt... this will be Kool-AKIEM :)

doubt it, he seems pretty happy with the sound quality of his 16bit sl1, judging from our previous discussions on the importance of a hardware upgrade that is.....

;)
djdragon 8:56 PM - 1 April, 2009
They are shipping and we should see ours within a week.

Selling for about $970.00 CDN + GST
dj_soo 9:01 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
They are shipping and we should see ours within a week.

Selling for about $970.00 CDN + GST

youch

seeing as I barely ever use my SL1 unless I'm on the road (which amounts to a month out the year max), I'll probably wait till I can get a side by side sound comparison...
mobius909 9:16 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Hi All

Watchwww.youtube.com

S

you didn't call it SL2 for liability reasons?
Serato
Sean.C 9:25 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Hi All

Watchwww.youtube.com

S

you didn't call it SL2 for liability reasons?

Ha!

no, out of respect...

S
DjWoody 10:01 PM - 1 April, 2009
Maybe it's just me, but the new SL3 is not doing much for me. The updates are nice, but I won't go out of my way to get one.

I was expecting more new features. But oh well.

It's still pretty nice and a better option for someone who's shopping for an SL1. But IMO, if you already have an SL1 or a TTM57, you're better off saving your cash.
dj_soo 10:04 PM - 1 April, 2009
I would definitely upgrade from the SL1 just for the improved sound and the ability to record sets directly into the software, but probably won't be giving up my 57 for it...

One of my favorite things about the 57 is recording my sets at the touch of a button
DjWoody 10:07 PM - 1 April, 2009
I like to use Audio HiJack to record my sets. The main reason is because it saves your recording in Real Time. That means that if your computer crashes while you're mixing, your recording will be saved up until the crash. You don't have to save it, it automatically does it for you.
dj_soo 10:10 PM - 1 April, 2009
you still need to use either 2 computers or run the feed back into the same computer. I like pressing the "rec" button in serato and bam.
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:11 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
you still need to use either 2 computers or run the feed back into the same computer. I like pressing the "rec" button in serato and bam.

+1
balistikgelhed 10:12 PM - 1 April, 2009
Will the new SL+Ableton features be exclusive to the SL3 users? That's the question...
DjWoody 10:19 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:

No doubt. But at least if my computer crashes, I'll have my mix. hehehe
DjWoody 10:20 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Will the new SL+Ableton features be exclusive to the SL3 users? That's the question...

Now, that is something that would make me wanna upgrade to the SL3. I wonder if the SL3 has a hidden USB Midi capability. hmmm
djdalite 10:21 PM - 1 April, 2009
who wants a sl1??? - 300
ekwipt 10:34 PM - 1 April, 2009
I wonder if Serato/Rane will keep their system to 2 decks plus 3rd virtual deck or sampler with no intention of bringing out an SL4, to compete against an audio8?
DeezNotes 10:40 PM - 1 April, 2009
So.. why didn't they name it the SL2?
Serato
dave 10:52 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
So.. why didn't they name it the SL2?

See Sean's post above :)
dj_soo 11:02 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

No doubt. But at least if my computer crashes, I'll have my mix. hehehe

theoretically your computer shouldn't crash as much since you're not running a 2nd program :)
Serato
dave 11:13 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Videos from the press conference:

Watchwww.youtube.com <- video 2

Haha, check out the top related video.

Sam = The President?!?
airdrawn 11:16 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Maybe it's just me, but the new SL3 is not doing much for me. The updates are nice, but I won't go out of my way to get one.

I was expecting more new features. But oh well.

It's still pretty nice and a better option for someone who's shopping for an SL1. But IMO, if you already have an SL1 or a TTM57, you're better off saving your cash.

the sl3 at the time being is aimed at the djs who gig out a lot, over big systems that really need an improvement in sound quality, hence why it is priced so high, its a premium product aimed at the working professional.
Kadilac 12:06 AM - 2 April, 2009
Would it be possible to run the 57 with the SL3???
Just wondering.
Millz 12:09 AM - 2 April, 2009
Im on a boat!
BriChi 12:54 AM - 2 April, 2009
Quote:
Would it be possible to run the 57 with the SL3???
Just wondering.

yes, you would hook it up as if the 57 was just a non serato mixer
Kadilac 1:42 AM - 2 April, 2009
Yeah but what drivers does 1.9 detect and what to use when it sees the 57 and the SL3?
BriChi 1:47 AM - 2 April, 2009
it wont see the 57 though, you are only usng the usb from the sl-3, not the 57. You cant plub both in, it wont work
stevie o 3:21 AM - 2 April, 2009
I want an sl1, no I want an sl3. I want a 57sl...(ted knight voice).> You'll get nothing and like it!
diego vega 3:25 AM - 2 April, 2009
The big question for me is will the sl-3 have Core Audio support? I'm still waiting on that one serato (you promissed!)... Only the windows users have asio drivers! The 24 bits could be helpful to use the sl3 to produce or play with ableton too...

Also are you going to come out with a new interface when the ableton collaboration becomes a reality or is this IT?
a-swift 3:44 AM - 2 April, 2009
Quote:
The big question for me is will the sl-3 have Core Audio support?

this is covered in the FAQ. you should read it. i did.
diego vega 3:50 AM - 2 April, 2009
Yea i just read that thanks, sorry im on my phone... Thing is they have promised that before with the sl1 and im still wAiting... And i have my original sl1 since scratch live 1.0 (bought it a month after it was released) .. many years ago! I hope i dont have to wait for an sl4 for core audio drivers ;)

I guess there wont be another box when the ableton collab kicks off... Looks exciting im selling mine now!
Dj BuddyLove 4:28 AM - 2 April, 2009
those thinking of selling there sl1's on ebay quick before anyone knows the sl3 is out..

tuff luck the sl3 already hit ebay.
shop.ebay.com
djphilly 4:55 AM - 2 April, 2009
Quote:
those thinking of selling there sl1's on ebay quick before anyone knows the sl3 is out..

tuff luck the sl3 already hit ebay.
shop.ebay.com

i10.ebayimg.com
what a nicely cropped picture of a beautiful interface
GRiNDBoX 4:56 AM - 2 April, 2009
demn it hit ebay now..:)
mobius909 4:57 AM - 2 April, 2009
30 days on the post... they don't have one yet, lol.
GRiNDBoX 5:07 AM - 2 April, 2009
lol
djdragon 6:13 AM - 2 April, 2009
I think many of you are not looking at the Rane/Serato catalog picture as a whole.

We have the SL1 and SL3 two pieces of hardware that are equally great but address the end users needs in slightly different ways or more so address the end users styles.
SL1 has a Mic input SL3 does not, the SL3 has 3 line/phono in/out, the way I see it the SL1 is a perfect match for Urban/Turntablist, simplistic or non-automated Mobile DJ user needs. The SL3 address the Live Music Production/Advance Turntablist or even what you guys call the EDM DJ.

We have the TTM57SL and the MP4 both address a demographic also that fits into either category above. And ITCH and 3 party DJ gear makers (much like Apple's iPod chip licensing) with their take on things and spreading the SSL love. Future hardware IMHO I foresee EmpathSL mixer or the likes.

But the real thing is the software, SSL actually changes with the hardware platform and is sold across the board, video included (now with 1.9) and yet GUI interface stays constant and anyone can jump from different SL units or can use thier own PC/laptop or Mac and jump from venue or gig (or just a portable USB drive and headphones) and still navigate or access your crates easily with almost no learning curve. Oh and don't forget SSL Pong FTW.

And to dissect the USB 1.1 - 2.0 or the 16bit - 24bit factors I say the point is moot. The real people who are at the receiving end of your DJ sets, parties, functions really don't give crap and you still get paid or your ego's fed.
The only people who 'care' are the DJ nerds and Tech-Doc/Spec readers, sometime I swear we are no better than those 'Audiophiles' and 'know-it-all' guy we hate so much.

You can scan youtube and find lots of DJ's honing themselves or pushing DJ boundaries even before the SL3 has been released, and what does the future hold with the Abelton/SSL marriage? They are still consummating it and we are just dying to see what the bastard children are going to look like.

So what, now Rane fills in the gap of the catalog as still maintains it's iPod/Technics God like status in the industry.

So I for one welcome our SSL overlords and I say Innovate or die.
Henry GQ 8:12 AM - 2 April, 2009
wow, i walked for a few hours. and blaaaam!, this thread lights up, shows the impact of a great product, i love how much it is!
cant afford >? go fuck a duck. LOL
Millz 9:02 AM - 2 April, 2009
go to sleep:)
phaeton 9:45 AM - 2 April, 2009
@ djdragon your on the money, its all about what comes out the speakers.
You should post this in a new thread called "DJ NERDS THREAD" lol.
DeezNotes 12:53 PM - 2 April, 2009
Good post dragon.
valdini 1:12 PM - 2 April, 2009
Got to be an April Fool...very coincidental the release news was April 1st no? :)

K
djdragon 1:37 PM - 2 April, 2009
Quote:
Got to be an April Fool...very coincidental the release news was April 1st no? :)

K

No joke, I've got the new Rane price list and it's on there.
valdini 3:08 PM - 2 April, 2009
Interesting, deffo thought it was a fool!

K
jfk 3:22 PM - 2 April, 2009
finally a sound quality update! thats all ive wanted for years. now if they can get the 3rd deck happening and hopefully a way of customizing the layout, that would be perfect. USB 2.0 is so much better than the old USB. cant wait.
airdrawn 3:52 PM - 2 April, 2009
yeah you'll see lots of the big boys come back over to serato very soon. john digweed wasn't happy with traktor pro at all, it properly messed up for him over at a big gig in mexico, he's gone back to cdj's - rane/serato get your marketting boys on to him!! we could have a poster boy to compete with that technoid hawtin.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 3:54 PM - 2 April, 2009
digweed, he's kinda big. lol

no april fools ;)
DVDjHardy 3:59 PM - 2 April, 2009
Chad, just send me a "demo" SL3. I promise to wear it around my neck the entire DEMF weekend! :P
MK 1 4:02 PM - 2 April, 2009
Quote:
Chad, just send me a "demo" SL3. I promise to wear it around my neck the entire DEMF weekend! :P

Demo SL3?? Like 1 made of foam or sponge?? Can i get 1???
Millz 4:05 PM - 2 April, 2009
Everyone I talked to in Miami that used to rock Serato all complained about the SQ. Some tried switching to Tracktor, but most didnt like the interface, and actually just switched back to CDs. I asked them what it would take for them to switch back to Serato, and they said bigger bottom end and better SQ. Hopefully the SL-3 box takes care of any/all SQ issues.
diego vega 4:10 PM - 2 April, 2009
Take a look at this pic of the SL-3:
www.rane.com

What are those 2 big 'knobs' sticking out on the inputs side?
Also to the left of them there's a little red square with 3 little 'ON' buttons?

What are they for?
MK 1 4:13 PM - 2 April, 2009
earth / ground
MK 1 4:14 PM - 2 April, 2009
line / phono
marcb 4:21 PM - 2 April, 2009
Heh anyone looking to pick up a slightly used empath mixer. Hit me upif youare interested. Its the empath with the knobs.....
dancemixr@aol.com
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:27 PM - 2 April, 2009
and there goes this thread
SiRocket 4:29 PM - 2 April, 2009
yup
AMF 4:31 PM - 2 April, 2009
*throws a tomato at marcb
Deejay Z 4:37 PM - 2 April, 2009
Hey mark ill trade u my entire DVD collection for ur empath, email me at ThreadKiller@Serato.com

LOL @ MarcB :D
DenkiBlue 4:39 PM - 2 April, 2009
3rd Deck easter egg...
Millz 4:43 PM - 2 April, 2009
wooo 3rd deck go girl LOL IBTL
djmallon 5:14 PM - 2 April, 2009
Quote:
Also to the left of them there's a little red square with 3 little 'ON' buttons? What are they for?

Let's you choose whether input 1/2/3 is line level or phono so you can use one turntable, one cd player if you really wanted to.
sixxx 5:21 PM - 2 April, 2009
djdragon,

that was a great post. Im probably going to quote it future threads.
diego vega 5:32 PM - 2 April, 2009
MK 1 & djmallon - thanks got it, nice to have the grounds there too now, some mixers are not that good with that so it's good to have that safeguard. About the ON/OFF line/phono switches I thought it was done internally via software :-/
dj_soo 5:36 PM - 2 April, 2009
Quote:
MK 1 & djmallon - thanks got it, nice to have the grounds there too now, some mixers are not that good with that so it's good to have that safeguard. About the ON/OFF line/phono switches I thought it was done internally via software :-/

it is but you still need to set the hardware to accept either phono (using the internal pre-amps) or line as the incoming signal. It's basically the same as the 57.
sweetL 5:50 PM - 2 April, 2009
okeydokey im selling the 57sl.
AMF 6:04 PM - 2 April, 2009
djdragon, for future reference, we don't like people who make sense. Next time I'm gonna report you. =)

Good post mane.
shiestO! 6:24 PM - 2 April, 2009
Quote:
Im on a boat!

?
DJ Dub Cowboy 6:28 PM - 2 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Im on a boat!

?

take a good look
djdragon 6:42 PM - 2 April, 2009
Quote:
djdragon,

that was a great post. Im probably going to quote it future threads.

Thanks dude.

Quote:
djdragon, for future reference, we don't like people who make sense. Next time I'm gonna report you. =)

Good post mane.

LOL

I'm sure the forum could be full of sensible posts (mind you having DUMB fun is cool too), all it takes is getting your head outta' the sand. Being passionate about something is great, being blinded by your passion leads to BS.

Honestly none of you can really be pissed or complain about the direction SSL/Rane has and is taking. They have almost addressed many wants or wishes without skipping a beat.
Amazing what happens when a company actually listens to the end user as a whole, not a select few with esoteric ideas.

And even if you do find a gripe I think you are being a slave to 'stuff', and by 'stuff' I mean hyped-up media glam and inflated numbers to make you feel like you have self worth and drinking the DJ God idolizing Kool-aid. Hence the 'I'm a DJ too' syndrome, DJing isn't about ego, it's about a community.

But I digress. I think we are all really stoked and can't wait to have the SL3 in hand, all I ask is no matter when SLL/Rane make or do, just don't lose touch with us.
djdragon 6:47 PM - 2 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Im on a boat!

?

take a good look

Read a Book, read a B-o-o-o-o-OK! Watchwww.youtube.com
Millz 7:02 PM - 2 April, 2009
Oh i was watching the video for Im on a boat yesterday...totally random...and the sad thing is, Im gettin requests for it. Id rather play dick in a box or jizzed in my pants hehe
Justin Styles 7:52 PM - 2 April, 2009
Quote:

uhm.. rec out from mixer -> aux in. where is the other computer?
Justin Styles 7:53 PM - 2 April, 2009
to add to that, if you want the sl box to detect whats on the master out, where the faders on the mixer are, etc, you don't understand how serato works
nobspangle 7:58 PM - 2 April, 2009
Quote:

Where does this quote come from? I can't find it in this thread.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:15 PM - 2 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

uhm.. rec out from mixer -> aux in. where is the other computer?

he was explaining why it is nicer to have the aux in rather than run a 2nd program. He is saying that he would prefer to just hit record then run a 2nd non scratchlive program and either a) bog down 1 machine, or B) have 2 computers
dj_soo 8:25 PM - 2 April, 2009
Quote:
to add to that, if you want the sl box to detect whats on the master out, where the faders on the mixer are, etc, you don't understand how serato works

I think you actually don't understand how the SL3 works but thanks for coming out.
dj_soo 8:30 PM - 2 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

I think you actually don't understand how the SL3 works but thanks for coming out.

actually, we're talking about the exact same thing - you're just taking my quote out of context. guess i should just quote next time.
DjWoody 8:33 PM - 2 April, 2009
Actually, according to this video, it's pretty much the same way as recording into your computer's Line In. You still need to hook up the REC OUT of your mixer into the AUX IN of the SL3. So basically, you're using the SL3 as a sound card. You still need to click SAVE at the end of your session. So if you forget to click SAVE, your mix is gone. Which again, that's a HUGE reason why I love Audio Hijack. I don't have to worry about saving my mix. It's done for me realtime.

Watchwww.youtube.com
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:51 PM - 2 April, 2009
Quote:
Actually, according to this video, it's pretty much the same way as recording into your computer's Line In. You still need to hook up the REC OUT of your mixer into the AUX IN of the SL3. So basically, you're using the SL3 as a sound card. You still need to click SAVE at the end of your session. So if you forget to click SAVE, your mix is gone. Which again, that's a HUGE reason why I love Audio Hijack. I don't have to worry about saving my mix. It's done for me realtime.

Watchwww.youtube.com

Its exactly the same as far as hardware, the advantage of recording inside scratchlive is with only 1 app open your saving system resources for recording, im not saying its better that audio hijack but for me id perfer to record in the iopen app instead of having an app run in the background. I dont think pressing save is asking much and if i have a sys crash (which is a bit less likley when running everything outta 1 app) i wouldnt mind losing the half done mix
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:52 PM - 2 April, 2009
its also helpful if you dont have a linein on your laptop\computer
dj_soo 8:53 PM - 2 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

Its exactly the same as far as hardware, the advantage of recording inside scratchlive is with only 1 app open your saving system resources for recording, im not saying its better that audio hijack but for me id perfer to record in the iopen app instead of having an app run in the background. I dont think pressing save is asking much and if i have a sys crash (which is a bit less likley when running everything outta 1 app) i wouldnt mind losing the half done mix

this
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:53 PM - 2 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

this

that
dj_soo 8:54 PM - 2 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

this

that

the other
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:55 PM - 2 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

this

that

the other

another
Serato, Forum Moderator
Nick M 9:05 PM - 2 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

The mix wont be lost completly- if you dont click save, it gets dumped in the recording temp folder, and then when you close SL, it gets sent to the trash / recycle bin.

You can retrieve it from there if need be.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:07 PM - 2 April, 2009
see there ya gom awsome!!!
DjWoody 9:08 PM - 2 April, 2009
Quote:

Most DJ's now are using modern Mac's, I really doubt a newer Mac will be bogged down by running Audio Hijack & SSL at the same time. Both SSL & AH use very little system resources. But to each their own. At the end it comes down to whatever works for you and whatever you feel more comfortable using.

Quote:
its also helpful if you dont have a linein on your laptop\computer

Now this I understand. Many PC's suck at recording Audio, so this is where that would be really helpful. Also, some older Mac's don't have the line in. I know my old iBook didn't.
DjWoody 9:12 PM - 2 April, 2009
Quote:

The mix wont be lost completly- if you dont click save, it gets dumped in the recording temp folder, and then when you close SL, it gets sent to the trash / recycle bin.

Now, that I didn't know. :) So if SSL crashes, does it delete the mix, or does it move it to the trash/recycle bin?

Maybe the untitled mix should be kept on the temp folder until the user moves it somewhere else. That way it won't get deleted by accident.

And another suggestion, Serato should be able to give users the ability to choose what format the recordings are being saved as. A 4 hour mix recorded as AIFF/WAV can be several gigs. Ouch!
SiRocket 9:16 PM - 2 April, 2009
i would be stoked to have it recorded at a lower format... but at times the high quality is nice too :)
shiestO! 10:24 PM - 2 April, 2009
nah man record lossless. give OUT mp3's for the mixes, but record them lossless for your own benefit.
Millz 10:42 PM - 2 April, 2009
mp3hd
DeezNotes 10:54 PM - 2 April, 2009
Quote:

I have lost tons of mixes by not hitting save. Has this feature been there since the beginning? Does it work this way in ITCH? *goes to give it a try*
nik39 10:56 PM - 2 April, 2009
Deez, me too.

Maybe it has to do with the size of your trash/recycle bin?
DeezNotes 11:00 PM - 2 April, 2009
It's probably not a good idea to send files there (or think your program will do so) since some recycle bins reject large files based on the percentage of space set aside for those files and the amount of data you have in there. Someone needs to rethink this...
DJ Super Mario 11:00 PM - 2 April, 2009
Quote:

I've done this MANY times as I'm usually in a hurry to pack up and get out of the venue when I'm done... Lifesaver for sure! LOL
blackavenger 1:54 AM - 3 April, 2009
Quote:
nah man record lossless. give OUT mp3's for the mixes, but record them lossless for your own benefit.

I agree. Keep it Lossless. You only need to reserve 10GBs, that's like 13 hours of recording. When will you ever need to record more than that?
sixxx 1:58 AM - 3 April, 2009
You DJ so bad, even the trash bin doesn't want your mixes when they get dumped there.
Dj BuddyLove 2:35 AM - 3 April, 2009
^^hahahaha
HittinSkinzTa2 2:36 AM - 3 April, 2009
Quote:
You DJ so bad, even the trash bin doesn't want your mixes when they get dumped there.

LMAO
DVDjHardy 7:03 AM - 3 April, 2009
Deez and Woody, its been there for a while...yes. Remember, the file isn't just going to delete itself off the computer. If Serato crashes, It ends up in the trash bin, but its still there until you empty it. If you close the program without saving it, you'll find it labeled as "serato recording #" in the scratchlive folder.

And Woody, I record almost everytime I play. Serato starts a new recording every 3 hours...and usually the 3-hr long mix is about 1.83 GB...not bad at all! As blackavenger said - always better to have the highest quality recording to start with...then convert to mp3 when needed.

And sweetL...I hope you're joking.
dj vegas 7:15 AM - 3 April, 2009
what i thought was a joke was when the guy was like "this unlike other products is available right now" wtf ever where is the video new video 1.1 or what ever the # was that came out in feb lol.
Millz 1:54 PM - 3 April, 2009
its being fine tuned so even the amature and entry level djs will be able to use it without having much difficulty.
DeezNotes 4:26 PM - 3 April, 2009
Quote:
Deez and Woody, its been there for a while...yes. Remember, the file isn't just going to delete itself off the computer. If Serato crashes, It ends up in the trash bin, but its still there until you empty it. If you close the program without saving it, you'll find it labeled as "serato recording #" in the scratchlive folder.

This discussion deserves a dedicated thread..
Henry GQ 5:06 PM - 3 April, 2009
Quote:
I hope you're joking.

what did he say ?

cant find it
GoodVibez 5:24 PM - 3 April, 2009
so can the grounds stay connected to the mixer or do they have to connect to the box
Konix 5:25 PM - 3 April, 2009
You can connect the ground wires to either the SL3 or your mixer, doesn't matter.
nobspangle 8:40 PM - 3 April, 2009
Quote:
so can the grounds stay connected to the mixer or do they have to connect to the box

Yeah, I think they just put the grounds on the box to make it easier if your box is a long way from your mixer.
djbigboy 9:49 PM - 3 April, 2009
I ground my wires onto the mixer and rack rails..stupid ground posts always get lost...good idea with the posts...
Joshua Carl 10:37 PM - 3 April, 2009
TT57sl:
Mixer digital audio: 24-bit, 44.1 kHz, 102 dB dynamic range
USB digital audio: 16-bit, 44.1 kHz, 102 dB dynamic range

so that means what exactly?
Im confused.
GoodVibez 11:25 PM - 3 April, 2009
ok so i got the sl3.everything seems to be working fine. except the sample player. It shows on my laptop that its playing and the short cuts work but no sound out of the mixer or speakers.
help?
GoodVibez 11:27 PM - 3 April, 2009
on a ttm 56 and 1.8.4
blackavenger 11:45 PM - 3 April, 2009
Quote:
ok so i got the sl3.everything seems to be working fine. except the sample player. It shows on my laptop that its playing and the short cuts work but no sound out of the mixer or speakers.
help?

I wonder if you have to use the Aux to use the sample player. Does it not output through the mains anymore?

Quote:
on a ttm 56 and 1.8.4

I thought the Sample Player was first introduced w' 1.9 ?!?

If this is true, then how are you viewing the Sample Player in 1.8.4?
SiRocket 11:48 PM - 3 April, 2009
the sample player might not be ready for the aux channel yet?? maybe its just through ch1 and ch2?
blackavenger 12:18 AM - 4 April, 2009
Quote:
the sample player might not be ready for the aux channel yet?? maybe its just through ch1 and ch2?

Yeah, I guess the question is, how did he hook it up? Did he hook up the SL3 like he would have the SL1, or did he try to run the Sample Player through the Aux channel?

I want an answer to this because I am buying an SL3 next week, but I have an important "one-off" gig at the end of the month, and if the sample player is actin' up, I won't be able to do my routine.
blackavenger 12:19 AM - 4 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, I guess the question is, how did he hook it up? Did he hook up the SL3 like he would have the SL1, or did he try to run the Sample Player through the Aux channel?

I want an answer to this because I am buying an SL3 next week, but I have an important "one-off" gig at the end of the month, and if the sample player is actin' up, I won't be able to do my routine.

Forgot to mention that I have to sell my SL1 within a week to justify the unnecessary spending at this time. That's why time is of the essence.
Henry GQ 1:18 AM - 4 April, 2009
haha
funny, i think eveyrone is saying the same thing
ebay is gonna be full of these
blackavenger 1:52 AM - 4 April, 2009
Quote:
haha
funny, i think eveyrone is saying the same thing
ebay is gonna be full of these

I plan on giving my M-Audio Microtrack II w' Sandisk 4GB CF card as an incentive to use the "Buy it Now" option. I figure if the SL3 has the same recording capability as the 57, I no longer need my field recorder.....might as well throw it in. Hopefully this will help my unit stand out from the torrent of Scratch_Live systems that will soon be on EBay.

::keeps fingers crossed::
Henry GQ 1:58 AM - 4 April, 2009
up up up and away black avenger !!!!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Nick M 2:10 AM - 4 April, 2009
Quote:
help?

If you installed 1.8.4 (in the box) then the sample player can only output from the aux channels of the SL 3. (We had to finish this build early on, to make sure we had it in time to go in shipped boxes).

If you update to 1.9 RC3, there is the option of having it output from L, R, Main, or the Aux channels.
blackavenger 2:19 AM - 4 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
help?

If you installed 1.8.4 (in the box) then the sample player can only output from the aux channels of the SL 3. (We had to finish this build early on, to make sure we had it in time to go in shipped boxes).

If you update to 1.9 RC3, there is the option of having it output from L, R, Main, or the Aux channels.

Well that cleared things up, thanks!
808 to the 801 2:32 AM - 4 April, 2009
is the sl3 a soundcard that can be used for other dj softwares?

i have used the sl1 with virtual dj

will this also work for the sl3?
ekwipt 2:53 AM - 4 April, 2009
Interms of the converters:

Converters 24-bit / 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz sample rate

Does that mean all of the converters are able to do both or are some of them only 44.1 kHz?
Henry GQ 3:00 AM - 4 April, 2009
nope
only work with serato, i think they are done having their quality ish on other shit.
808 to the 801 3:32 AM - 4 April, 2009
Quote:
nope
only work with serato, i think they are done having their quality ish on other shit.

haha i see...

but ill guarantee one of those virtual djeers will hack the hell out of it so it works just as good with virtual dj...

thats what happens when you dont have your own standalone sound card LOL
Henry GQ 4:24 AM - 4 April, 2009
well...
from the 814 to the 808, we will see...should be interesting to see what pops up.
balistikgelhed 5:55 PM - 4 April, 2009
Will the new SL+Ableton features be exclusive to the SL3 users?
blackavenger 7:04 PM - 4 April, 2009
Quote:

My guess is that it will.
irule19 11:27 PM - 4 April, 2009
I love it!!! one day we're labeling people Microwave DJ's because they never carried crates or spun vinyl, so they are not real DJ's, and then the next if you can't afford the price right now of the newest technological advance (SL3) you are labeled a "bedroom DJ"...Wow!

The have vs.the have nots! Who new...Hopefully one day soon I can buy my way out the bedroom before the SL4 comes out.

Ironically I have never DJ-ed in the bedroom. The wife is not having that!
AKIEM 11:35 PM - 4 April, 2009
with equipment you get work
with work you get money
with money you get equipment
with work you get money
with work you get money
with work you get money
with work you get money
with work you get money
with work you get money
with work you get money
(man, all this typing is getting tired - but it keeps going)
with work you get money
with work you get money
with work you get money
with work you get money
with work you get money
with work you get money
ekwipt 12:42 AM - 5 April, 2009
copy paste is your friend
chanpain 2:15 AM - 5 April, 2009
ok so heres my only beef why would i want to pay 799.00 for the SL3 when i could get the same product in the traktor scratch duo for 349.99 and it has better time coded records for less latency problems wich is what im having nothing but with my serato SL1 i have tried everything you could possibly think of to get it to stop having usb dropouts i even went out and bought a new SL1 box to try it and same result i even wiped my whole laptop and had to reboot it and reinstall everything same problem now dont get me wrong i love serato it has served me well with no problems but im so sick of the usb dropouts even when i only have the SL1 box plugged in and no tables it starts with the problem and my laptop is more than capable of running this program but im gonna sell it and try tracktor if it dosent solve my problem then ill come back to serato but by all means i still love the serato scratch program... unless they sell the SL3 seperately just the box for a better price...
blackavenger 2:30 AM - 5 April, 2009
Quote:
ok so heres my only beef why would i want to pay 799.00 for the SL3 when i could get the same product in the traktor scratch duo for 349.99 and it has better time coded records for less latency problems wich is what im having nothing but with my serato SL1 i have tried everything you could possibly think of to get it to stop having usb dropouts i even went out and bought a new SL1 box to try it and same result i even wiped my whole laptop and had to reboot it and reinstall everything same problem now dont get me wrong i love serato it has served me well with no problems but im so sick of the usb dropouts even when i only have the SL1 box plugged in and no tables it starts with the problem and my laptop is more than capable of running this program but im gonna sell it and try tracktor if it dosent solve my problem then ill come back to serato but by all means i still love the serato scratch program... unless they sell the SL3 seperately just the box for a better price...

Holy Hell......periods, commas, punctuation???

Also, the SL3 is $699.00 not $799.00!
chanpain 2:43 AM - 5 April, 2009
Oh? oops 699.99 still compared to 349.99. I'm just saying the price is still high.
blackavenger 2:54 AM - 5 April, 2009
Quote:
Oh? oops 699.99 still compared to 349.99. I'm just saying the price is still high.

Why are you comparing the Duo to the SL3? If anything you should be comparing the Duo to the SL1, and the Audio 8 to the SL3. Audio 8 = 4 decks...TS Duo = 2 decks. Where as SL3 = 3 decks (we all know it's coming)....SL1 - 2 decks. Still, I would assume that you'll argue that the Duo is almost $200.00 cheaper than the SL1, and that is a fair argument, but then that is just a matter of which DVS you decide to put your trust in.

Nothing compares to Serato/Rane's support!! This alone get's my vote.
ekwipt 3:48 AM - 5 April, 2009
I think they'll drop the price for the SL1 to compete against the Duo, that SL3 is in the same league as the Audio 8 DJ
Turn Table Tennis 3:56 AM - 5 April, 2009
Quote:
I think they'll drop the price for the SL1 to compete against the Duo, that SL3 is in the same league as the Audio 8 DJ

no they wont. sl1 is quality shit. you get what you pay for. there's a huge price difference now and no one i know is going for the duo.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 5:51 AM - 5 April, 2009
Quote:

No.
Dj BuddyLove 5:56 AM - 5 April, 2009
^^so that means you guys got somthing hot cooking & coming out soon :P
blackavenger 6:39 AM - 5 April, 2009
Quote:
^^so that means you guys got somthing hot cooking & coming out soon :P

Or it means it will have to do with USB.
DJ Sniffles 6:54 AM - 5 April, 2009
Just hurry it up or atleast give us some insight as to what to expect
C. William 2:07 PM - 5 April, 2009
Quote:

Chill out.
Smemtex (AoS) 2:17 PM - 5 April, 2009
Quote:

I'm thinking Serato's coloured waveforms in Ableton...

And the use of Abletons .asd files in Serato for non-destructive editing of live songs and what not...

But I'm probly waaaayyyy off track...

Whatever it is it will be dope...
Henry GQ 5:18 PM - 5 April, 2009
its like honda...
u wanna buy somethin that is reliable right ? so u gotta pay for it(just like serato products)

or the traktor... which is like a daewoo/kia

sl-1 = honda
sl-3 = acura

btw... i own an acura.
blackavenger 5:32 PM - 5 April, 2009
Quote:
its like honda...
u wanna buy somethin that is reliable right ? so u gotta pay for it(just like serato products)

sl-1 = honda
sl-3 = acura

btw... i own an acura.

I'd hardly equate Traktor to a Daewoo, more like a Mazda (nice on features, horrible reliability), but your point in relevant just the same.
DeezNotes 6:54 PM - 5 April, 2009
After this first weekend, most people I talk too are not happy about the price. Sometimes you gotta factor in free software upgrades and support, but 700 is a lot. Most of them expressed that if both boxes were $100 cheaper, it wouldn't be as bad but I guess it's a matter of opinion, how much you're raking in and willing to spend on quality equipment?
sixxx 6:58 PM - 5 April, 2009
I don't understand how $700 is too much when it can be an investment return in 1 or 2 gigs.... oh wait, bedroom DJ's. Nevermind. :P
DeezNotes 7:04 PM - 5 April, 2009
That and the fact that most DJs will go and buy a cheaper product to save some cash before they spend the money they should initially and buy what they're supposed to. Most Rane equipment is priced higher than most, but you really do get what you pay for.
balistikgelhed 7:05 PM - 5 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

No.

God bless Rane and Serato. Thanks.
djdragon 2:36 AM - 6 April, 2009
Quote:
its like honda...

sl-1 = honda
sl-3 = acura

btw... i own an acura.

There is no 2010 Mercedes option here? :(

I guess i suck LOL
DenkiBlue 6:14 AM - 6 April, 2009
I don't think the cost here is an issue at all. I mean you wouldn't buy one track over another just because of the price - you buy the music you really want, and that makes it worthwhile.

I do agree that $700 is a lot of coin, but that just means you may have to save up a little longer.....so what? Even if you are a bedroom DJ, just write the cost off over 3 years and that's like $4.50 per week.

It's all how you look at it ;)
marm 7:18 AM - 6 April, 2009
hi guys i am liking the new sl3 box however i dont think i will be buying just yet until there is more news on the ableton/serato partnership i notice there is only one extra output channel that is great by the by is this gonna be enough for using ableton serato i know we dont know what it is exactly that they will be doing but i know there are other cards out there mainly the audio 8 what has 8 outputs

i am sure they guys have given this some thought can anybody shed any ligt on this

dj marmaduke
uk
DJ-NEO 7:51 AM - 6 April, 2009
Quote:
I don't understand how $700 is too much when it can be an investment return in 1 or 2 gigs.... oh wait, bedroom DJ's. Nevermind. :P

lol
7G 8:17 AM - 6 April, 2009
The main question is:

"Will this be the interface of Ableton/Serato collaboration?"

Has anyone got an answer on this?
ekwipt 9:26 AM - 6 April, 2009
Quote:
I don't think the cost here is an issue at all. I mean you wouldn't buy one track over another just because of the price - you buy the music you really want, and that makes it worthwhile.

I do agree that $700 is a lot of coin, but that just means you may have to save up a little longer.....so what? Even if you are a bedroom DJ, just write the cost off over 3 years and that's like $4.50 per week.

It's all how you look at it ;)

Australia has a recommended retail of $1495 last time i checked our dollar wasn't that bad

Todays dollar conversion = 976.173 AUD

I don't wanna pay more than $1000 for it
Dj BuddyLove 10:57 AM - 6 April, 2009
Quote:
The main question is:

"Will this be the interface of Ableton/Serato collaboration?"

Has anyone got an answer on this?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No.

God bless Rane and Serato. Thanks.
marm 1:34 PM - 6 April, 2009
i think what people want to know is a little abouts what happening with the partnership and will there be new hardware
DeezNotes 1:52 PM - 6 April, 2009
Has there been a change to the knobs + color scheme of the 57 as well? www.turntablelab.com
boabmatic 2:00 PM - 6 April, 2009
no, that's the pic of the demo/pre-release design of the 57...
it was never sold like that
Hassle 2:04 PM - 6 April, 2009
Quote:
with work you get money
with work you get money
with work you get money
with work you get money
with work you get money
with work you get money
with work you get money
with work you get money
with work you get money
with work you get money
with work you get money
with work you get money
with work you get money
with work you get money

first you getta the money
then you getta the SL3
then you getta the women
Joshua Carl 2:17 PM - 6 April, 2009
underpants!
Polanka 3:19 PM - 6 April, 2009
I just sold my sl1 last week on ebay for $420 and used the money to buy my sl3. The auction was selling it for $699 but i made an offer for $599 they countered my offer for $620 so I jumped on it a bought it. They still have one more available and you should be able to make a low offer and hopefully get it for $620. here is the item number good luck --------------->110371729601
nobspangle 3:52 PM - 6 April, 2009
In the UK sapphires are advertising it at £599 inc. VAT I think the original SL 1 was £540 when it was first released so that seems like a good price.
Dj Sparky 4:42 PM - 6 April, 2009
dam Polanka, i offered $650 to a differant seller and got it for that price, should have tried a little lower, here is the here is the item number if anyone else is intrested 350185905937
ernie 5:19 PM - 6 April, 2009
where did you got your SL 3?
Polanka 5:43 PM - 6 April, 2009
I got mine on Ebay.
djphilly 6:57 PM - 6 April, 2009
are these ebay guys authorized dealers?
Rane, Support
Chad S. 10:32 PM - 6 April, 2009
most are not.
ToddLarBoy 11:32 PM - 6 April, 2009
OK, so I don't know where else to post it & can't read ALL of the 400 posts prior to this to see if it's there but here's my 2 cents...
Awesome piece, glad to have the better quality and it's about time serato included a power supply to ensure compatibility, but now for the BIG GRIPE.

With all of thos enhancements, couldn't we get ALL of the jacks on th same side??? seriously, having to run wires out in BOTH directions is a major FUPA when it comes to mounting options. This is a MAJOR oversite that many of us would pay a PREMIUM for. I'd even drop an extra hundred over the existing SL1 for an exact redux which merely moves all of the jacks to one side.

my 2 cents - I hope someone at least brought it up in the product planning meeting before they stuck with the 2-sided option we already had.
thx
Polanka 12:02 AM - 7 April, 2009
Checked with Rane and verified that the company I bought my SL3 from is an Authorize dealer.
blackavenger 12:30 AM - 7 April, 2009
Quote:
With all of thos enhancements, couldn't we get ALL of the jacks on th same side??? seriously, having to run wires out in BOTH directions is a major FUPA when it comes to mounting options. This is a MAJOR oversite that many of us would pay a PREMIUM for. I'd even drop an extra hundred over the existing SL1 for an exact redux which merely moves all of the jacks to one side.

Though I share your disappointment, as it was my initial gripe about the SL3 as well, you need to accept the fact that it's not going to change this time around. In order for them to do it, they would have to start from fresh....make an entirely new board. Again, that's not gonna happen. There is always the SL4.........here's to hoping we get our wish next time.
Henry GQ 1:20 AM - 7 April, 2009
here .. here!
drink up bitchs!
Bruce_Van 1:04 AM - 20 April, 2009
Quote:
Though I share your disappointment, as it was my initial gripe about the SL3 as well, you need to accept the fact that it's not going to change this time around. In order for them to do it, they would have to start from fresh....make an entirely new board. Again, that's not gonna happen. There is always the SL4.........here's to hoping we get our wish next time.

you mean SL5. :P what happened to SL2?
blackavenger 2:40 AM - 20 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

you mean SL5. :P what happened to SL2?

If you would have read the entire thread, you would have seen that we got this response when asking the exact same question :

Quote:
Hi All

Watchwww.youtube.com

S

I don't know if that was true, or just a joke, but that's the answer that was given.
Henry GQ 3:07 AM - 20 April, 2009
thats what i was tryin to say in another thread.
rockness ronsta 11:31 PM - 20 April, 2009
Happy 4.20 to you all! I'm going to upgrade to SL-3 and I was just wondering what the bluebook value is for an SL-1 box that's in excellent condition (was used mainly for studio purposes).
blackavenger 12:44 AM - 21 April, 2009
Quote:
Happy 4.20 to you all! I'm going to upgrade to SL-3 and I was just wondering what the bluebook value is for an SL-1 box that's in excellent condition (was used mainly for studio purposes).

$400.00 - $450.00
rockness ronsta 8:21 PM - 21 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

$400.00 - $450.00

Thanks!
soon-2-be-ex-FS2user_2.0 11:09 PM - 5 May, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
with work you get money
with work you get money
with work you get money
with work you get money
with work you get money
with work you get money
with work you get money
with work you get money
with work you get money
with work you get money
with work you get money
with work you get money
with work you get money
with work you get money

first you getta the money
then you getta the SL3
then you getta the women

wid werk you's git a monies
wid a monies you's git ekwipmant
wid ekwipmant you's git werk
MK 1 9:44 AM - 6 May, 2009
hahahaha
Kenny Q 7:56 PM - 5 August, 2009
Quote:
With all of thos enhancements, couldn't we get ALL of the jacks on th same side??? seriously, having to run wires out in BOTH directions is a major FUPA when it comes to mounting options. This is a MAJOR oversite .

I agree 100%. This is one of the reasons I bought the TTM57.