DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Just got my ttm57 and now SL3?

bboysupafly 4:23 PM - 1 April, 2009
Just to clear things out to folks at serato/scratch live/rane............is the hardware the same on the ttm57 than on the new sl3? I was reading the article and stated:

"The studio grade input preamps are the same as those found in the Rane TTM 57SL performance mixer."

I just want a 2nd opinion cuz it will stir shit up when I gave my life savings to get a 57.

Feel me?
DJ Sniffles 4:46 PM - 1 April, 2009
Your life savings was $1600?
bboysupafly 4:49 PM - 1 April, 2009
haha just a metaphor, actually got 2, one for the studio and one for the road.
AlexRage 6:04 PM - 1 April, 2009
will they make it so that you can output the sampler through the aux on the ttm57sl?
citi 6:07 PM - 1 April, 2009
I'm sure it's just a firmware upgrade
treeo730 6:18 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
...is the hardware the same on the ttm57 than on the new sl3?

Well, the phono preamps are the same, but the rest is quite different.

?????

what do you mean?
AlexRage 6:23 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

?????

what do you mean?

I think he means the digital components that control the sample rate and such are different. So, the analog preamps that boost the phono signal to line level are the same, but the DA converters I assume are better on the SL3.
DJ GaFFle 7:35 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

?????

what do you mean?

I think he means the digital components that control the sample rate and such are different. So, the analog preamps that boost the phono signal to line level are the same, but the DA converters I assume are better on the SL3.

Ain't that a bich... I want 24-bit converters (USB) in my 57 dammit!
dj_soo 7:45 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

?????

what do you mean?

Ain't that a bich... I want 24-bit converters (USB) in my 57 dammit!

+1

Although I have no doubt that Rane and Serato are working on a 58 as we speak...
DJ GaFFle 7:57 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Yep. AlexRage is correct. And there are 24-bit converters in the 57, its just that the USB I/O is limited to 16 bits.

- The 57 uses USB 1.1 hardware, the SL 3 uses USB 2 hardware.
- They use different A/D & D/A converters - both are 24-bit. (one could argue which ones are better - they're darn close in what matters)
- The 57 has knobs, faders, DSP chips, more jacks, etc.
- The SL 3 has only one knob, and a Kensington Slot! ; )

The only common things are screws, RCA jacks and a knob and control vinyl... and the phono preamp parts.

Steve,

Why would Rane incorporate 24-bit converters in the 57 only to have it down-graded to 16-bit when going in/out the USB?

Excuse my ignorance on the bit-converter subject.
SiRocket 8:21 PM - 1 April, 2009
i'm with gaffle on that one....
djdragon 8:34 PM - 1 April, 2009
Rane EMPATHSL I called it first
dj_soo 8:37 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:

That would especially make sense since they've been going on about a 3rd deck too...
djdragon 8:40 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

That would especially make sense since they've been going on about a 3rd deck too...

We all knew that it would eventually happen. I'll be the first to buy one, I've always loved the sound of the pre-amps on the Empath and IMHo its the worlds best 3ch mixer ever made.
C. William 8:41 PM - 1 April, 2009
That's going to get a lot of the EDM guys back that switched to Traktor.
djdragon 8:45 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
That's going to get a lot of the EDM guys back that switched to Traktor.

I just poured a bit of my coffee on the floor for my dead Traktor homies
mobius909 9:19 PM - 1 April, 2009
i saw a dude that used traktor last night... he didn't even use one deck. he used a mixer and a laptop.... WEAKKKK
AlexRage 9:36 PM - 1 April, 2009
just based on my knowledge of DSP, I'd say 24 bit processing in the ttm57sl is used to maintain a high level of quality while performing such tasks as effects processing. The audio stream coming from your laptop into the 57sl is 16bit, and then upped to 24bit so that there is more data to get more accurate results when effects are applied. these digital signals are than converted to analog for output from the mixer.

is this final conversion to analog performed from the 24bit signal or is the signal dithered/converted back to 16bit before it hits the analog converter for output?
DJ GaFFle 12:07 AM - 2 April, 2009
Thanx 4 the thorough explanation. I'm not so stressed I guess, especially considering my music is 256 - 320k. It's not like I'm playing .wav or aiff's on the regular.
treeo730 12:26 AM - 2 April, 2009
Good info.
Jesus Christ 12:41 AM - 2 April, 2009
Steve, what about a retrofit conversion for the 57's logic board? Is that just too ridiculously time-consuming? If I wanted my 57 upgraded and was willing to pay a couple of hundred plus shipping, is that something that Rane would consider doing in the future?

Thanks.
DJ GaFFle 1:00 AM - 2 April, 2009
Quote:
Steve, what about a retrofit conversion for the 57's logic board? Is that just too ridiculously time-consuming? If I wanted my 57 upgraded and was willing to pay a couple of hundred plus shipping, is that something that Rane would consider doing in the future?

Thanks.

Great question. I'd pay a couple of hun' (no more) to get 24-bit quality USB I/O on my 57 mixer.
SiRocket 1:13 AM - 2 April, 2009
now the kicker is on the devil's advocate side...

Should the sl1 guys be able to send in their box to get new pre-amps and usb2.0 added ???

if us 57 guys can do it then im sure it won't just be 100-200 bucks... more in the lines ofr $350-525
ekwipt 1:16 AM - 2 April, 2009
They might do it for the 57, but the sl1 is a totally different design they'd be drilling shit and plugging holes, waste of time
SiRocket 1:17 AM - 2 April, 2009
the sl when taken apart the "adapter/plug plates" can slide right out... simple to have new ones made ready to slide into the sl1 casing.. ;) 57 would be alot harder im taking...
DaBrain 1:26 AM - 2 April, 2009
My english is not that good so please help me figure this out:

Does this mean 24Bit = More latency?
Sounds like it...
I think any Hip hop/Turntablist would prefer better performance than quality. Club sound/mp3 rips is getting worse anyways. The crowd doesn't care/hear the difference anymore.

I was gonna buy a 57 sometime soon...most people are scared about their 57's future now that the SL3 came out, but if this SL3 increases latency + drops the 57's price - i see no reason to buy the SL3 (unless u'r not a hip hop DJ).
But again, i could be wrong....Help?
Jesus Christ 4:34 AM - 2 April, 2009
Thanks for the candid response Steve. Excellent points. I am very happy with my 57. I personally don't need any upgrades.
blackavenger 5:52 AM - 2 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

We all knew that it would eventually happen. I'll be the first to buy one, I've always loved the sound of the pre-amps on the Empath and IMHo its the worlds best 3ch mixer ever made.

I concur. I've been asking for the same thing, on this forum, for years.....bring on the Empath-SL.
Detroitbootybass 12:17 AM - 4 April, 2009
Quote:
bring on the Empath-SL.

Agreed! I'd especially love it if they offered both the rotary and line fader versions (rotary for me)!
treeo730 1:13 AM - 4 April, 2009
rotary would be sick..
But I hope with the 57 they use the aux for whatever tehy are planning on using the aux on the sl3 for.
nagra 4:06 AM - 17 May, 2009
Question for Steve M,

When setting the 57's channels to the analog input when working with real vinyls (i.e. not time-coded vinyls), my understanding is that the sound will still be converted to digital (since the mixing is done by a DSP), processed, and then converted back into analog (too bad there's no "full analog mode").
Is it also true to say that all this is done in 24 bit resolution?

I guess it's quite true that 16bit/44.1kHz is really enough for most applications anyways. I have a recorder that can do 24bit/192kHz but I've never used that mode... it's always set to 16/44.1