Serato DJ Lite / Intro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Lite / Intro software and controllers.

Serato DJ 1.7 - Freezes when closing

beatgital@gmail.com 10:06 PM - 4 September, 2014
Running Windows 7
Toshiba satellite
4GB Ram

1.7 update, freezes once you click Yes on exit.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?
beatgital@gmail.com 11:23 PM - 4 September, 2014
actually... i downgraded to 1.63 which never gave me that issue and now it freezes when i exit serato.
i have to close program "not responding" windows and so my creates are not saving :(

any ideas?
beatgital@gmail.com 11:24 PM - 4 September, 2014
it does store new music but not the creates and it doesn't remember songs that were deleted because they were missing.
beatgital@gmail.com 2:17 PM - 8 September, 2014
i emailed support on the 4th and no answer yet :( is there anyone out there... there... ere...er...r?
Termo 12:37 PM - 11 September, 2014
Hi there,

I'm facing the same issue. Serato isn't freezing when I close it and leave my Pioneer DDJ-SZ connected and running. But I'm experiencing freezes when working "controller-offline".

Maybe some explanations what I was doing:
I was sorting my music and was moving files to some crates and changed the comments. Additionally before moving the file into a crate I was using one deck for pre-listening. I was doing this 3 times yet for about 1 or 2 hours.. moving a song to a deck for listening and then moving it to a crate. Everytime Serato just freezed and I needed to kill the process. All my changes got stored though.

I'm running Serato on a Mac Book Pro (2.8 GHz, 16GB RAM, 512 SSD) - I doubt it's performance related.
I read another threat about crashes, I will check this threat again and add some logs if possible when I'm at home and didn't forgett it until then ;)

Future fix would be great.

Regards
beatgital@gmail.com 1:53 AM - 18 September, 2014
i have tried it all, back and forth with support and nothing... offline mode it just freezes and i have to end task to close it...
since my laptop is not latest generation support is trying to blame the performance, but i had no issues running before the update.

let me know if you find any solutions, i am out of ideas.
Termo 5:15 AM - 19 September, 2014
I face no more problem until now, but I'm still observing. What I would do is following this guide for troubleshooting crashes:
serato.com
Maybe you can get some useful information with this and the support can help you then.
beatgital@gmail.com 5:22 PM - 19 September, 2014
thanks for the reply, like i said i have tried it all with no luck... actually looking into coming back to traktor : /

i have been going back and forth with support but i am very unhappy with serato support, never needed it before until now... but they answer every 3 days and their replies are so general like they are no looking into the specif issue, like a copy and paste :/ here are some examples:

actual reply:
- scan your library
- update your firmware
- read this article

very frustrating.
Termo 6:57 PM - 19 September, 2014
I see. Sadly you're running Serato on Windows, on Linux you can run tools to debug applications and so on, I guess the same is possible on OS X as it is BSD based when I remember correctly. Maybe you can look up if something like this is possible.

Or maybe you are downgrading once again and wait for the next update? So you can have an old stable version running and wait for the next version fitting you?
beatgital@gmail.com 5:39 PM - 21 September, 2014
im having the same issue now even when i downgrade :(
Termo 6:33 PM - 21 September, 2014
Maybe a lucky hit.. but do you have a virus scanner installed? Give it a try, uninstall it and test it again :)

Be careful during that time ;)
Serato, Support
Karl Y 1:42 PM - 22 September, 2014
Hi beatgital

could you try the following:

- Serato DJ closed
- rename your history file, located here:
My Music / _Serato_ / History / history.database
- Then start Serato DJ again and see if that solves it.

I've bumped your help request as well, Lucas should get back to you soon.

Sorry for the delay
Regards
Karl
beatgital@gmail.com 1:13 AM - 23 September, 2014
Hello Karl,

Thanks for trying to help man...

first of all i tried renaming the history.database file and it didn't work i notice that it created another one... but i have the same issue.

i was very disappointed with Lucas support since the last reply i got from the guy was back on the 16th, but he told me today he was out sick so no probs...

he suggested something else, so i will try than and let you guys know...

thanks again!
beatgital@gmail.com 1:35 AM - 23 September, 2014
unfortunately with no success...

i notice that when i have a fresh restart or when i start windows after a shut down i am able to close serato one time with no freezing issue... it even saves new crates... which is a relief at least i can still update for gigs.

if i open it once more then it freezes when closing and wont store newly added crates... hope this helps.

Screenshots
www.dropbox.com
Rob Tilley 6:50 PM - 3 October, 2014
I'm having similar issues when closing. It keeps freezing and I lose any crates I created in that session. I'm thinking I might re-install the software but am worried I'll lose all the cue points for all my songs. i would be interested to hear of any suggestions from the Serato team, as it's a nightmare if your trying to sort your tunes or create new folders.
DJ XCON 11:02 AM - 6 October, 2014
Happens to me all the time. I originally reported it here too: serato.com
beatgital@gmail.com 8:46 PM - 9 October, 2014
Update:
In ver. 1.7.0 I still have the same issue, however if i restart my PC and open serato that session works fine... but if i close serato and open again then i have the bug.

so for now i restart my PC everytime i close serato if i need to use it again. Downloading 1.7.1 as we speak, will update if the bug is still there.
DJ XCON 9:00 PM - 9 October, 2014
For me, the issue was still there in 1.7.1 but I figured out the fix. in Serato I went to the "all" section - select all tracks - ctrl delete, close Serato. Then delete your database v2 files on the pc and the external hard drive if applicable. Open Serato, navigate to your music directory and drag it onto All. Wait a long time for everything to scan. Sort all tracks by the first column to find corrupt files.... Delete those files.... While in all, select all music and rescan tag info.
smiggylad 12:53 PM - 9 April, 2015
I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE FREEZES ON TRYING TO CLOSE, NO CRATES CREATED STILL SAME ISSUE NEW LAPTOP FULLY UPDATED NO VIRUS SOFTWARE NOTHING RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND, ONLY TIME IT WILL SHUT DOWN IS ON A RESTART, THINK I WILL JUST TAKE THE SX2 BACK AS NEVER HAD ISSUES BEFORE........
Serato, Support
Nathaniel T 3:43 AM - 15 April, 2015
Hey smigglylad,

You should open up a help request with Serato Support over here - support.serato.com - we will be able to help you out!

Cheers.
smiggylad 7:32 AM - 15 April, 2015
done that, seems what i email they do not read
Serato, Support
Nathaniel T 9:32 PM - 15 April, 2015
What's your ticket number?
Paul Orbit 6:46 PM - 21 April, 2015
Got the same issue on Surface Pro 3 (i7, 8Gb, 512Gb model). Freezes when I shut down. tracked down the log.

Naam van toepassing met fout: SeratoDJ.exe, versie: 1.7.3.6899, tijdstempel: 0x54a0c709
Naam van module met fout: ntdll.dll, versie: 6.3.9600.17736, tijdstempel: 0x550f42c2
Uitzonderingscode: 0xc0000374
Foutmarge: 0x000e5624
Id van proces met fout: 0x1240
Starttijd van toepassing met fout: 0x01d07c21ae3db195
Pad naar toepassing met fout: C:\Program Files (x86)\Serato\SeratoDJ\SeratoDJ.exe
Pad naar module met fout: C:\windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Rapport-id: 7a05c77b-e852-11e4-826f-600292685ce7
Volledige pakketnaam met fout:
Relatieve toepassings-id van pakket met fout:

Seems ntdll.dll is causing it. Below the details on the error:

- System
- Provider
[ Name] Application Error

- EventID 1000
[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 2

Task 100

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated
[ SystemTime] 2015-04-21T18:16:07.000000000Z

EventRecordID 6819

Channel Application

Computer SURFACE

Security

- EventData
SeratoDJ.exe
54a0c709
ntdll.dll
550f42c2
c0000374
000e5624
01d07c21ae3db195
C:\Program Files (x86)\Serato\SeratoDJ\SeratoDJ.exe
C:\windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
7a05c77b-e852-11e4-826f-600292685ce7

Hope this helps.
Paul Orbit 6:51 PM - 21 April, 2015
Quote:
The causes of ntdll.dll error messages can vary greatly. However, most ntdll.dll errors result from a corrupt or damaged version of the ntdll.dll file itself, corrupt hardware drivers, or issues between Windows and other programs.

End Quote.

I'll track back and redo the driver installs etc. Hardly think this will solve any since I updated all software and drivers recently. This seems to be the cause of it all...
Paul Orbit 7:40 PM - 21 April, 2015
Installed latest Serato (1.7.5 was released recently) same error persists at first. Without the controller connected I got a freeze on shutting down again. Then I reinstalled the driver. Same freeze, same error, just the version of Serato.exe changed in the error log.

Then I hooked up the SX and started Serato...it closed correctly. Took the power off the SX and still worked fine. I've started Serato a couple of times (without the SX connected) and it seems fine now.

Now I rebooted my Surface, started Serato and I get the same error. Hook up my SX and the problem is solved again.

Looks like Serato is looking for a connected device and gets either a time out or wrong state from the driver at first launch.
4mydawgz 10:25 PM - 23 April, 2015
The freezing happened to me too. It happened two days ago after i ran a session and changed up the track order in some of the crates. i ended up force quitting. but when i re opened the program, all the songs were in filename order rather than the order i had placed them in. Again today, I ran another session, when i closed Serato it freezed again. The round circle is spinning. It's been about an hour now. I know if I force quit. My crate order willbe jacked up again. SMH. Hard work gone to waste.
Mr Vyrus 2:22 AM - 15 May, 2015
since upgrading to 1.7.5, whenever i try to open a folder in serato it freeze for a bit then it's good again, but as soon as i click another folder the same thing happens again. is this a serato issue.
DJ G(2) 10:34 PM - 17 May, 2015
Wow this is really annoying...Serato will not close the the wheel is spinning and has been for about 10 minutes now. I am using 1.7.5
Paul Orbit 2:54 PM - 3 August, 2015
Seems like Serato wont be bothered and support isnt on their to-do list. Well, Ill get my gear running on traktor then. Pioneer should get a load of this. They're pushing Serato products like hell and I've spent quite a lot on my gear just to find out that Serato just doenst care much.
mmix 9:41 PM - 29 November, 2015
Hey, i have the same problem. Beatgitals tip works fine on my laptop. So I restart my laptop, do my changes, close serato, and restart my laptop if I want to start serato again.

(Im from germany, sorry for my bad english)

Greetings
D-JR 8:43 AM - 5 January, 2016
I am using Setato DJ 1.81 on Windows 10 (recently updated from Windows 7). More or less the same issues here.
What I found out is that after a fresh start of windows running Serato DJ the first time, the software doesn't freeze on shutdown.
This is the "trick" that I am using now: After successful shutdown of the DJ, I use Windows task manager to kill the Serato process, which for whatever reason is still running. If you then restart Serato, the next shutdown will also happen without freezing the software.
It is a stupid situation. I do not know what is the real problem, maybe the driver of the Pioneer DDJ-SX controller. (It's drivers are still version 1.00 from 2012..... I cannot believe there shouldn't bean update by now......
I also find it worrying that Serato isn't more on top of this issue. It is very much a common problem that should be solved, two of my friends are having exactly the same problem with simular hardware. :(
CurtJ 9:58 PM - 2 February, 2016
Exact same issue others are having...
Bigupnash 11:56 AM - 25 March, 2016
I'm facing the same issue
BlackWhiteX 6:03 PM - 26 March, 2016
I am currently facing the same exact issue, even after updating to 1.9.

The issue seems to be the process SeratoDJ.exe running in the background even after closing the program. I'm baffled by how this issue still exists after multiple updates and after multiple support tickets have been sent in to Serato.

I hope this is going to be resolved soon.
djsoulcandy 2:55 AM - 2 April, 2016
Wow! I've been having the same exact problem, recently right before a gig & lost ALL about 6 crates I had prepared for the gig, task about a nightmare. I'm having the same exact problem now & reading all of these comments spanning a couple YEARS with no substantial hello from Serato is EXTREMELY discouraging. Other DJ's/Programmers should be the most understanding of how frustrating it can be to lose hours & hours of hard work. Very VERY disappointed.
Lukeb1979 10:43 PM - 9 April, 2016
I'm having the same issues here to as well. No antivirus, deleted all malware, no other DJ software open. It just freezes and crashes. I have the NEW Denon mcx8000 and there is nothing but troubles with the software in Engine and Serato. But the crashing while shutting down is the same as people have listed above.

I sure how they get a fix soon. I'll have to go back to Virtual DJ. I have heard that they have something is the works that acts with serato flip. Thats what I was reading on another forum. So everything that serato offers, will be on virtual DJ and I never had had problems with VDJ. So I hope Serato gets teir act together.
Lukeb1979 12:14 AM - 10 April, 2016
Ok So I found this work around. Not sure which did it but here's what I did and it seems to be working so far.

First. I took all the files with the Lightening bolt and deleted them. Didn't fight with them, just deleted them. Then I noticed an unusually high "windows" resource being used. I'm kinda advanced in Computer stuff. So I took a further look in the Task manager. I had noticed that there was a "windows update.....to the program Windows Update. It's giving Windows update HIGH PRIORITY to run and try and find program drivers. This is sh** as it will never find a Serato driver. But the conflict was happening when Serato was shutting down, Windows Update was trying to stop the program and find the "most up to date" driver. And it was making my computer go bonkers with the fan and the CPU when ever I'd run a program....not just serato but chrome and others.

This update came about the middle of march. So is what I did was go into my Go to Services. You'll see netsvcs. This also runs the Windows Update. In the lower right I Clicked on Services. That brings up another window. Scroll Down to Windows Update. Then Right clicked properties. Under the General Tab, next to start up type, select manual.

Like I said, finger crossed, for the last 4 hours playing with Serato with a controller NOT plugged in.....it's been great. Not one hang up. And before I did that earlier this morning, it was hanging up all the time.

Also, who wants Windows update updating during a gig. I'm gooing to do it manually from now on. Screw Microsoft for making their program more important that our DJ software. Geeze.
deejaydroc30314 6:11 PM - 11 April, 2016
Same issue here I have been trying to get someone at serato to help resolve this ......I let lucas in my computer remotely and he screwed it all up whatever he did had to reformat my whole system........I GUESS WERE ALL LAB RATS HERE TRYING TO RESOLVE THE TRIAL AND ERROR THAT SERAT SHOULD HAVE DONE BEFORE EVEN RELEASING AN UPDATE.....SO READY TO SCRAP THIS WHOLE PIONEER AND SERATO CRAP Since both serato and pioneer have such crappy tech support
Lukeb1979 9:39 PM - 11 April, 2016
Pioneer is aweful! I had their SX and will NEVER buy a pioneer ever again because of their tech support. They are just nasty. And yes, Serato answers initially, then it goes dead and you never hear from them again. So we are left to try and fix our own problems. I agree. Well....I can't wait till Virtual DJ gets the MCX8000 on board here soon and I can go back to VDJ. Their stuff always works and if not, they ANSWER!
inaudible 4:09 PM - 17 September, 2016
Exactly the same issue here.

Serato helpdesk gave me copy and paste answers.

I re-analysised all my music now all I have 3,500 tracks to re-upload to google drive half of which now have beat grids and will need to upload a second time when I open the track up next.

Oh, and the problem hasn't gone away, waited 7 days for a reply to my last email, still nothing back.
BlackWhiteX 4:32 PM - 17 September, 2016
Quote:
Exactly the same issue here.

Could you please state your Serato DJ version, if it is the Intro or Full edition, what hardware you are using and what the specs of your computer are, as well as a new description of the problem?

Kind regards
inaudible 6:25 AM - 22 September, 2016
Intel core i5-240M GPU 2.4gHz
RAM - 4GB
DDJ-SR (its software or hardware though, this happens regardless of whetehr the hardware is on or not).

Windows 10
Serato 1.9.2 however the problem has existed for more than a year across different versions of Serato.

Each time I close down Serato it freezes and I have to force it to close using Windows. Maybe one in 10 times it will close.

Any new smart crates I have created in that session are not usually there next time I open Serato.

Also occasionally random smart crates disappear that have been there for a while (my collection of smart crates is getting smaller and smaller).

I have re-analyzed all my files, renamed the database file and gone through the tutorials sent via my helpdesk email thingy.

(I can only presume) Once the helpdesk ran out of copy paste requests they stopped responding to me.

Cheers
BlackWhiteX 8:27 PM - 18 October, 2016
Quote:
Intel core i5-240M GPU 2.4gHz
RAM - 4GB
DDJ-SR (its software or hardware though, this happens regardless of whetehr the hardware is on or not).

Windows 10
Serato 1.9.2 however the problem has existed for more than a year across different versions of Serato.

Each time I close down Serato it freezes and I have to force it to close using Windows. Maybe one in 10 times it will close.

Any new smart crates I have created in that session are not usually there next time I open Serato.

Also occasionally random smart crates disappear that have been there for a while (my collection of smart crates is getting smaller and smaller).

I have re-analyzed all my files, renamed the database file and gone through the tutorials sent via my helpdesk email thingy.

(I can only presume) Once the helpdesk ran out of copy paste requests they stopped responding to me.

Cheers

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling Serato? When uninstalling, make sure to also delete the files in your system registry by hitting Win+R and typing "regedit" - then select "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" > "SOFTWARE" > "Serato".

If this doesn't solve the problem, you should try to do a system refresh: support.microsoft.com

If you don't use the PC for a lot of other things than DJing, I suggest trying this. It is a radical solution, but it usually solves the problem, albeit at the price of having to reinstall all pieces of software.
You can select the option to only delete software and to keep personal data, which saves you a lot of backup work.
D-JR 11:34 PM - 13 March, 2017
Even with the 1.9.6 the problem is still there. I created a script which kills the Serato process after shutting down. It seems to work, I'm not loosing crates etc anymore...
djrys 7:30 PM - 9 May, 2017
Hi d-jr I'm currently doing the same as you did, ie ending process in task manager after its shutdown or restarting computer. Is only way I can get arround problem. So far over ten emails to support (chez) and no results. If you could let me know how to write a script to end the process after its closed in laymans terms would be much appreciated. Thanks
Macallan 2:26 PM - 3 August, 2017
Im experiencing same thing repeatedly. Just joined forum to say im not using Serato any more to DJ with.
I too have noticed it is only when you use Serato again from an already running laptop.
I now need to fully shutdown laptop between sessions for it not to hang and not save all of my work.
Your product needs to work Serato - it doesnt.
DJ.Productions 7:58 PM - 5 September, 2017
I am having the same issue. Has anyone heard from Serato with a solution?
Macallan 10:09 PM - 14 November, 2017
Still happening.
Im about to download version 1.9.10 and see if there is a patch for this bug
DJ.Productions 11:35 PM - 14 November, 2017
My problem was Serato DJ was running in administrator mode. As soon as i changed that, it never froze up on me when closing again.

Good Luck
Macallan 10:58 PM - 15 November, 2017
Update hasn't fixed it.
Still hangs and doesn't save your work on closing.
So i will still have to shut down laptop every time i close Serato.
Hopefully getting the Pioneer XDJ over xmas so i can stop using Serato and a laptop
DJ.Productions 11:27 PM - 15 November, 2017
Did you check to see if Setato is running as administrator? If it is, it will freeze when exiting Serato.
Haurus 11:13 AM - 13 January, 2018
This is happening to me now too. Lost a bunch of work on crates I had done. The app isn't running as administrator.
Fitoke 12:57 AM - 14 January, 2018
if i open it once more then it freezes when closing and wont store newly added crates... hope this helps.
Screenshots
damagedphotorestoration.com
franklinltoote 3:06 AM - 21 March, 2018
I have the same issue, would like to see a fix. it seems common enough.
JvdB 2:28 PM - 13 July, 2018
Still problems when closing down serato. Now another problem... when i hook up my external hared drive the crates dont pop up... so how do i play any song now??