Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato DJ Support for Pioneer CDJ-350? WHEN?!?

Gaucho Loco 2:15 PM - 26 July, 2014
I've been using ITCH and SSL for years now but recently bought Serato DJ which I'm starting to dabble in. I'm having a major problem analyzing files which is giving me the heebies about buying a Serato DJ controller and making the jump off my super reliable Denon DN-HC5000S and ITCH. Serato DJ seriously overtaxes CPU and RAM prolly because of all the DJ 'aids' like beat grids, etc. Anyway...I digress...LOL!

Why have really nice little CDJs been left in the closet to gather dust? Why do we have support for Pio CDJ-850 and above but really nice compact CDJs like the CDJ-350 or CDJ-400 (or maybe even Denon's DN-S1200) nothing...nada...nicht? Not every mobile DJ likes lugging a 100 lbs coffin with $5,000 of gear inside and not every DJ wants to be boxed in with a DDJ-XXX whatever controller.

C'mon, Serato...LET'S GO! THANKS!
Dj MacMillz 4:40 PM - 26 July, 2014
You have cdj 350, so it's assumed you have a SL box, unless it's an SL 1, SDJ is compatible.
Gaucho Loco 5:16 PM - 26 July, 2014
You can use Serato timecode with any CDJ, of course. However, there is a big difference between timecode (and all the audio connections needed to make that work) versus native HID platter control and control of functions of Serato from the CDJ.

This always seems to be a programming resource focus or perhaps just an outright money issue between Pioneer and Serato. Maybe Pioneer is more interested in selling more DDJ-XXX or super hyper expensive big CDJs...that's just the cynic in me talking...LOL!

Denon and Serato never did come to terms on this and we never had a true natively supported HID Denon CDJ that could be used with Serato....shame...
Dj MacMillz 5:40 PM - 26 July, 2014
So you have the means/knowledge to make SDJ work with your cdj, but just want, wish for HID support?
Gaucho Loco 8:41 PM - 26 July, 2014
Yes...but there's a huge difference. When a CDJ becomes an official controller for Serato DJ, then HID platter control works and other buttons are midi mapped to functions in the software...all simply with a USB connection...no timecode needed or audio connections. Matter of fact, and SL3 is not even needed. One can also be assured that Serato and the CDJ manufacturer will continue to work out bugs and support future updates.

I can't really understand how the CDJ-350 is any different than the CDJ-850 internally other than the size so why not unlock it as another Serato DJ supported CDJ? To me it would seem that we're talking purely about unlocking and not some extensive programming or firmware update. In other words...it's a money decision...
deejdave 8:29 PM - 27 July, 2014
Quote:
no timecode needed or audio connections. Matter of fact, and SL3 is not even needed.

You are 100% wrong about this and need to get your facts straight. HID does automatically map your CDJ to very useful features within SDJ. HID also removes the need for Noisemap Time Code CD's or file BUT you 100% still need the SL box (or Native SDJ mixer/controller) to act as the sound card. No matter what you do you will NEVER be able to use the CDJ's internal sound card's with Serato (any version).

Quote:
I can't really understand how the CDJ-350 is any different than the CDJ-850

Agreed but then again you kind of don't understand HID as a whole either.

Direct From The Manual

1. Connect your Scratch Live (Serato DJ) hardware as per normal into an available USB port on your computer. (SL2, SL3, SL4 or SDJ Supported mixer)
2. Connect the CDJ to your computer via USB cable or USB hub.
3. Open Scratch Live. (Serato DJ)
4. Press the LINK button the CDJ-2000nexus. (CDJ-900, CDJ-850)
5. Press the Scroll Knob to connect to the computer.
6. Use the Scroll Knob to choose which virtual deck you wish the CDJ to control.
7. Set the virtual deck in Scratch Live to Internal mode (INT).

This is also a link that describes a little more how thing work.

All this being said I don't think it would be all that hard for them to add the 350 as a native accessory but you should absolutely know how it works and what you can/can't do while running it.
Gaucho Loco 9:43 PM - 27 July, 2014
Actually...with Serato DJ, you don't need an SL box but a Serato-approved controller. This is a departure from Serato Scratch Live where an SL box was a must.

In terms of sound card and controllers, in practice you may be right...CDJs are normally coupled with a Serato mixer or SL box or controller but many of these CDJs are listed themselves as controllers and most of them have a sound card built in.

The instructions you quoted are in reference to "approved" controllers like the CDJ-2000 or CDJ-900...exactly my point. The CDJ-350 could easily be another "approved" Serato accessory. Once you unlock the functionality of Serato DJ with a controller or approved accessory, how you handle sound could be handled in many ways.
deejdave 1:27 AM - 28 July, 2014
Quote:
Actually...with Serato DJ, you don't need an SL box but a Serato-approved controller. This is a departure from Serato Scratch Live where an SL box was a must.

You need either a SL box, a supported controller or a supported mixer. The only difference is they added controllers but other than that no difference here BUT CDJ's are considered accessories NOT controllers in that you can NOT use the internal sound cards. You must learn to accept this or you will be in for a rude awakening whenever you do have supported CDJ's which I can literally tell you have NEVER used HID with SDJ in that you don't know these facts.

Quote:
many of these CDJs are listed themselves as controllers and most of them have a sound card built in.

This is entirely inaccurate and is where you need to get your facts straight. This is common knowledge here and is easily accessible information. These are SDJ controllers serato.com and these are supported accessories serato.com you will notice ALL the CDJ's are listed as accessories and NOT as controllers as you suggest. Furthermore whether you choose to accept this or not you will NEVER be able to use the internal sound cards within the CDJ's with Serato DJ. Bottom line.

Quote:
how you handle sound could be handled in many ways.

Again completely incorrect. No matter what you want to do you MUST use a certified SDJ sound card and this is within the controller, SL Box, or mixer only. Lastly IF you do want to use your CDJ's with a CONTROLLER there is only ONE controller that supports this and it is the DDJ-SZ. It CAN be done with other controllers but there will be unexplained anomalies. I also have the DDJ-SX, DDJ-SZ & NS7II and the only one that my CDJ's work with flawlessly is the DDJ-SZ.

Honestly your best bet is to contact the Serato team directly and ask them if a single thing I said is wrong. I assure you not one thing I said is even the slightest bit incorrect or debatable. I even provide links to back things up. I mean you see yourself they are NOT controllers like you suggest so you can accept this or continue to believe it it is entirely up to you.
deejdave 1:35 AM - 28 July, 2014
I must add one example to point out how obviously incorrect you are. Let's say you purchase a DJM-900Nexus mixer, then two Pioneer CDJ's that are supported by Serato. Now you thing with these things alone (and Serato not making one single dollar off any of this hardware) you will be able to use Serato DJ and furthermore hook things up how you wish?........................
Gaucho Loco 2:49 AM - 28 July, 2014
I think that we're debating at cross purposes here. I understand everything you said and I agree but you're arguing about what will or will not work with Serato DJ and I'm talking about the innate capabilities of these hardware pieces. For example, take a simply gorgeous Denon SC3900. This is a CDJ that is listed by Denon DJ as a controller and media player including an built-In USB audio interface (ASIO/CORE compliant).

Now in terms of usability with Serato DJ...whether you want to call it an accessory or whatever, the Pioneer CDJ-350 is not listed and neither is the Denon DN-S1200...both perfectly workable and capable little CDJs that have been ignored by Serato. That was my original point. When do we have support for these smaller format controllers...accessories...CDJs...whatever you want to call them...?

BTW I do own an SL3...no problem there. I also bought a separate licence of Serato DJ as I wanted to get the Serato Video bundle.
deejdave 4:26 AM - 28 July, 2014
I got that and like I said:
Quote:
All this being said I don't think it would be all that hard for them to add the 350 as a native accessory but you should absolutely know how it works and what you can/can't do while running it.

All I am simply doing is informing you that your expectations were a little "off". Let's just say you were not told this and continued thinking the way you were. Now let's say you heard they were adding the 350's to the supported list and decided to sell your SL3 with the thought that you will no longer need it as you stated. You'd be in a world of hurt when you realize you would no longer be able to use SDJ with upgrade license or not. In the end no matter what (even if you have the almighty CDJ-2000Nexus's like I do) you still need a supported SL Box, controller, or interface to use a supported CDJ with HID.

lastly

Quote:
the Pioneer CDJ-350 is not listed and neither is the Denon DN-S1200...both perfectly workable and capable little CDJs that have been ignored by Serato. That was my original point. When do we have support for these smaller format controllers

NOW I totally get where you are coming from but just because a CDJ or player or whatever has a sound card does not mean it will be supported. First off there are standards in which any device or hardware must meet which is one of the reasons Serato is what it is. Secondly there are financial issues that must be considered. For instance the Denon players will not be supported because Denon does not want to pay for the support. This is nothing new and is the exact reason they came up with the Hybrid function for SSL. In terms of the 350 I would say instead of creating your own thread and asking I would join the other pre-existing threads. I mean if you were Serato and you came onto a duplicate thread with a guy making false claims on what he thinks the players that support HID can do what would you do? I know I would simply move onto the next post.

Try adding you +1's to existing posts like I said. The posts are few & far between as there are not too many trying to use SDJ with 350's but I remember seeing them for SSL a few years ago I can only assume there are a few. Serato does things by the numbers. This is how they have always operated. As in if you get enough people to support this feature they may be inclined to put the effort in.

I don't mean to come across offensive or anything. I just like to correct any wrongs I come into especially when it is publicly viewable. Imagine if a new came onto this thread and purchased two CDJ-850's thinking they can fire up Serato DJ and get going? NOW imagine if they sold their SL box to get those CDJ's!!!

ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL this & that being said I 100% do hope you get what you are looking for and I wish you luck. To a certain point (as in there has to be a line drawn somewhere) any & all gear added to the supported list is a good thing for all as it generally means more revenue which means more R&D which means more fun features & toys!!
DJ TooHypE 4:18 AM - 25 March, 2017
+1 for CDJ-350
Thou <3 CDJ-400 still.
serato.com