Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato Flip??

Mike Czech 7:03 AM - 15 July, 2014
I looked carefully at the Numark NV press releases, and while I can't say it's luring me away from turntables and a 57 just yet this little blurb really jumped out:

"Serato Flip-Capable

Create custom edits, extend and re-imagine your music. Create and save up to 6 "Flips" on the fly or offline for repeatable use in the club or studio."

Check it for yourself, on the left side.

www.numark.com

Serato folks, care to elaborate??
marcA 7:18 AM - 15 July, 2014
yeah what's this all about?
The Return of Dj Sparky 10:37 AM - 15 July, 2014
Its either a update to the sp6 or seratos version of the remix decks in tracktor

Expect them to be tight lipped about it as they don't like giving info before official release
The Return of Dj Sparky 3:31 PM - 15 July, 2014
Numark have since edited the spec sheet and removed the serato flip section from the left, the plot thickens
Robbie O 5:42 PM - 15 July, 2014
Good eyes people! deja vu! we've spotted a glitch in the matrix
Dj Wunder 6:14 PM - 15 July, 2014
Oh wow. This has gotten very exciting indeed. Anyone know how to grab the cached image and post it up here?
Culprit 6:25 PM - 15 July, 2014
We need a splicer fucntion
The Return of Dj Sparky 8:37 PM - 15 July, 2014
here is the original pic

oi62.tinypic.com

Serato Flip-Capable:
Create custom edits, rxtend and re-imagine your music. Create and save up to 6 "Flips" on the fly or offline for repeatable use in the club or studio.
nik39 8:57 PM - 15 July, 2014
www.trueller-snacks.de <- click,

and click then on flips... All types of flavors: Cheese flips, peanut flips ;)
Culprit 9:12 PM - 15 July, 2014
@The Return of DJ Sparky

I was looking for this

renegadecinema.com
Culprit 9:13 PM - 15 July, 2014
@The Return of DJ Sparky

I was looking for this

renegadecinema.com
@The Return of DJ Sparky

I was looking for this

renegadecinema.com
@The Return of DJ Sparky

I was looking for this

renegadecinema.com
Mr Wilks 10:39 PM - 15 July, 2014
The feature is too similar as asked here serato.com and had Serato asking how it could work.

Almost spot on how I wanted it.
The Return of Dj Sparky 12:59 PM - 25 July, 2014
I guess no one is intrested in this new feature
Robbie O 1:08 PM - 25 July, 2014
Nah we are, but the experienced vets know Serato won't tip their hand until it's ready. Kinda like waking up extra early on Christmas. Still gotta wait (least at my crib, many moons ago)
Culprit 7:52 PM - 25 July, 2014
there is at least a 48 to 52 week turn around time upon all approved request, if your request gets approved.. and if we like you..

jk
DJ Compiler 5:31 PM - 26 July, 2014
Hopefully at the little DJ City QA/press conference Serato is hosting some light will be shed on it
Joe Fresh 7:11 PM - 26 July, 2014
Quote:
Hopefully at the little DJ City QA/press conference Serato is hosting some light will be shed on it

Me too.
Mr Wilks 1:30 PM - 27 July, 2014
Yup. I think we can read between the lines here.

An educated guess would be Flip will having pool compatibility and have mixes "Flip ready" to play with.

Strange how it was predicted earlier in how it could work. Maybe Whitelabel will be expanding? Maybe pay Whitelable as a per month subscription to get a bigger catalogue and provided by a pool like DJ City? All possibles I suppose.

Either way... Flip will be announced pretty soon and I for one, am pretty chuffed.
Mr Wilks 1:32 PM - 27 July, 2014
Read the suggestions around Matt's reply here on the 8th June: serato.com

Seems realistic.
Mr Wilks 9:36 PM - 27 July, 2014
www.djcity.com

Seems like this will be the time we'll find out more...
DJ Compiler 9:46 PM - 27 July, 2014
Yeah I know that's what I was referring to
Mr Wilks 10:12 PM - 27 July, 2014
Yeah. I just like to link to drum up Q&A's from people.

I like links ;)
Dj Wunder 12:24 AM - 4 August, 2014
It's here! And it's glorious:serato.com
blackavenger 12:43 AM - 4 August, 2014
I don't know how I feel about it yet. In it's own right it's pretty cool, and worth the $30 if you ask me. However, if this is their answer to our YEARS of asking for an updated SP-6, I'm going to be MAJORLY disappointed, and a little pissed, to be honest.
akakak 1:24 AM - 4 August, 2014
I would still like an SP-8, or even SP-16. I've got 16 pads after all.
akakak 1:36 AM - 4 August, 2014
This does look cool though. How will you trigger it with a controller without dedicated controls? Setting up a flip offline looks tricky. And I don't understand why 6 is the limit.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 2:54 AM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:
However, if this is their answer to our YEARS of asking for an updated SP-6, I'm going to be MAJORLY disappointed, and a little pissed, to be honest.

Serato Flip is a completely separate feature from the sample player. We have plans for the sample player also - don't worry!

Quote:
This does look cool though. How will you trigger it with a controller without dedicated controls? Setting up a flip offline looks tricky. And I don't understand why 6 is the limit.

We will be mapping Flip controls to controllers that have the appropriate hardware buttons to do so, so it'll be super easy to create and playback Flips from these devices. Offline player is easy too, we have a new dedicated keyboard shortcut ('\' underneath delete) for the Flip REC button, so you can just hit that to start and stop.

No special reason why there are only 6 Flip slots, we may look at adding more in the future, we'll be keeping a close eye on whether people are running out of slots or not.
blackavenger 3:15 AM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:
Serato Flip is a completely separate feature from the sample player. We have plans for the sample player also - don't worry!

Thank you for addressing that query so quickly. Cool, then I can accept Flip for what it is now ;-)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 3:18 AM - 4 August, 2014
Please accept how tite this feature is blackavenger ;)
blackavenger 3:23 AM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:
No special reason why there are only 6 Flip slots, we may look at adding more in the future, we'll be keeping a close eye on whether people are running out of slots or not.

Honestly, I can't see why you would need any more than 6. I mean, it is on a 6 per track basis, right? They're not like simple cue points, correct? I mean, you are taking a track and grouping cue points & loops together to form a phrase of sorts, right? Or am I not at all understanding what this is?
Mr Wilks 3:24 AM - 4 August, 2014
One question...

Can the pitch be recorded too? By looping intros and beats then changing the tempo, we can make our own transition tracks our own way.

I think I read that it can be used to change tempo. If so, this just changed the whole DJ software scene forever.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 3:26 AM - 4 August, 2014
Yup you're correct. I've been using about 1-3 per track but I can imagine some people wanting to go crazy. I tend to have a 'Club' edit, an 'Extended Intro' edit and sometimes a little beat that I've made from the song.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 3:27 AM - 4 August, 2014
Mr Wilks - it doesn't record Pitching. But this is only the first iteration and we'll be listening/watching how everyone uses it very closely ;)
Mr Wilks 3:32 AM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:
Mr Wilks - it doesn't record Pitching. But this is only the first iteration and we'll be listening/watching how everyone uses it very closely ;)

Thanks for that. I was kinda hoping for it but as you say, you never know what can be added in the future.
Transitions from 128-100bpm will still have to be done in DAW software, well for now ;)
blackavenger 3:33 AM - 4 August, 2014
Yeah, this is going to be a lot of fun. Obviously, none of us plebs have used it yet, but cheers for coming up w' such a fun feature. Can't wait to mess around with it.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 3:35 AM - 4 August, 2014
'plebs' lol

We're excited to see what you guys do with it!
Mr Wilks 3:36 AM - 4 August, 2014
This waa the bit i read "Create transition sections in your songs for changing tempo or beat structure".

With pitching there it will be great.
Mr Wilks 3:39 AM - 4 August, 2014
I think there will be a community of people sharing their own "flips" and people taking and modifying them again making them more refined. Re-edit ones that the pools will give us too.

It's very exciting.
deejdave 4:38 AM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:
Please accept how tite this feature is blackavenger ;)

Spoken like a champ!! Good stuff and I for one accept!!
Ragman 4:42 AM - 4 August, 2014
Ditto. Patiently waiting... somewhat.
akakak 5:46 AM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:
We will be mapping Flip controls to controllers that have the appropriate hardware buttons to do so

Is that any? :/ My DDJ-SZ for example, won't support this without me using the keyboard?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 5:56 AM - 4 August, 2014
Yes your DDJ-SZ will support this. Basically the first iteration of mappings will be for controllers that have a Hot Cue performance mode, and two parameter buttons when in this mode. We'll be looking at other hardware on a case-by-case basis to see how we could also map these. However, all user with FLIP will be able to MIDI map all of the FLIP controls to an external MIDI device anyway.
akakak 6:00 AM - 4 August, 2014
Sweet. Thanks.
Chinshue 6:02 AM - 4 August, 2014
what about the vestax vci-400 and vci-380?
DREAMKILLER 6:13 AM - 4 August, 2014
Hooray! @Duffman
deejdave 6:57 AM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:
what about the vestax vci-400 and vci-380?

Quote:
Basically the first iteration of mappings will be for controllers that have a Hot Cue performance mode, and two parameter buttons when in this mode. We'll be looking at other hardware on a case-by-case basis to see how we could also map these.

Pretty simple. EVERY controller either fits into one or the other. All this necessary information has been offered to you on a silver platter.
Culprit 8:29 AM - 4 August, 2014
cant wait this will solve alot of my club edit ideas
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 3:24 PM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for that. I was kinda hoping for it but as you say, you never know what can be added in the future.
Transitions from 128-100bpm will still have to be done in DAW software, well for now ;)

Yeah it's quite hard to go down in tempo as there's always other drum hits that get in the way. It's quite cool for making uptempo transitions where you can use a track with the tempo you are wanting to mix into - on the other deck as a kind of "click track" to help you record the Flip.

You can also kind of do this going down too though - just set a cue point at the end of the track in the silence, and use that too add extra space between drum hits if you want to make a cool kind of transition section to a lower tempo.

Maybe i'll try make some examples to link to :)
Mr Wilks 3:43 PM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah it's quite hard to go down in tempo as there's always other drum hits that get in the way. It's quite cool for making uptempo transitions where you can use a track with the tempo you are wanting to mix into - on the other deck as a kind of "click track" to help you record the Flip.

You can also kind of do this going down too though - just set a cue point at the end of the track in the silence, and use that too add extra space between drum hits if you want to make a cool kind of transition section to a lower tempo.

That sounds great. If you can give me an idea then this will definitely be great.

Flip will be the biggest thing to hit software for a while. I'm really looking forward to trying this out.
deejdave 5:05 PM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:

GREAT idea. I'm sold already as I make it a point to have my software maxed out but I am confidant this will be up there right next to Pitch N Time.
Mr Wilks 5:33 PM - 4 August, 2014
I read that "Record Cue Point & Censor Automation" but can it do loop automation too?

If I want to record a few cycles of a 4 beat loop from say, the end, and drop it into the middle of the track for mixing, can it handle that?

So if I know there is a small part of a radio edit I can grab as a clean loop, can this be extended and dropped for a count of 16 at the beginning? Then maybe again at the end?

If so, do we record this in automation with the loops on for a count of 16 then jump back with the cue points?

I hope we can.
Mr Wilks 5:44 PM - 4 August, 2014
Also remembering your slicing actions on the track...
deejdave 5:45 PM - 4 August, 2014
Any comment or word on the Serato DVS expansion pack detailed here? www.youtube.com

also when will these be available and for how much? The Numark NV just became yesterday's news TBH. THESE are tru professional tools and will be right at home within my setups.

Two AFX units and ONE AMX unit incoming!!!
wadup 5:46 PM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:
Any comment or word on the Serato DVS expansion pack detailed here? www.youtube.com

also when will these be available and for how much? The Numark NV just became yesterday's news TBH. THESE are tru professional tools and will be right at home within my setups.

serato.com
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 5:46 PM - 4 August, 2014
There's no looping automation - just cue points and censor for 1.0.

Quote:

serato.com

:)
deejdave 5:51 PM - 4 August, 2014
Cool. Don't know how I missed this one.
Davideon 9:18 PM - 4 August, 2014
Serato flip. Great. How long til you put in the same tech for mixes.

Smh
Culprit 12:04 AM - 5 August, 2014
wat? lol
deejdave 12:28 AM - 5 August, 2014
Yeah not following this one...................

You do understand it is YOU who does the preparing correct? It saves what you have done and doesn't actually do anything for you?
akakak 12:29 AM - 5 August, 2014
It does take away the live aspect though, is what I think BBD is getting at.
deejdave 12:52 AM - 5 August, 2014
Yeah but there are certainly worse things out there. I always agree to keep things like Auto-DJ or Auto-Mix or Auto song select etc. but for some reason this strikes me as sticking to the right (or left LOL) side of that fine line. I guess I can see how this COULD be abused though too.
akakak 12:55 AM - 5 August, 2014
To me, this seems like something that lets me act like I have six hands, whilst still maintaining some originality. Depends on how it feels when you actually do it…
deejdave 1:00 AM - 5 August, 2014
^^^^^ Bingo. Tool for creativity or tool for slacking off on the job. It's in the hands of the user but at least there IS a creative use for this tool. Name ONE creative use for Auto-Mix, Auto-DJ or auto song select. As I have said many times Auto DJ etc. literally have to do with everything BUT djng. You hear things like "So I can mingle with my guests" or "So I can set up the lights" or so I can grab something to eat".............................. I'm sorry but none of those are DJ specific issues.

This (Serato Flip) has a creative feel to it and if it pans out how I think it will I feel the super creative individuals will benefit even more. Can't wait to see how it goes down though.
Culprit 1:04 AM - 5 August, 2014
Quote:

what live aspect, were all playing pre recorded studio tracks.

again.. wat?
deejdave 1:15 AM - 5 August, 2014
Yeah but without manipulation what are we really doing up there? I can see both sides honestly. Half the fun is not knowing what you will do or play so I can relate to this. I already don't do playlists (set playlists that is) to prevent a tired and boring show so we shall see where this fits into my life. I can see some creative use though. I am certainly NOT looking at this as a way to make my life easier in the lazy sense. More of the ease or workflow sense.

Again I rarely use a crossfader so the whole back & forth (left to right) mixing (blending) is gone for me as it is (which for me is a good thing) so adding this does not see so bad at first. I give credit for scratch DJ's with the crossfader and all but those DJ's who simply assign one channel to the left and one channel to the right and go back & forth all night even if you are doing the beat matching yourself are kind of lame IMO. Add SYNC to the mix................... yeah no bueno. THIS is the type who may abuse and in that case BBD is dead on.

I certainly do not try to look at anything as pre recorded though. To me it's ALL ABOUT making that music your own.
Culprit 1:19 AM - 5 August, 2014
I love any new tools to be honest with you. Everything has a place obviously or it wouldn't of been implemented in the first place. I find it ignorant to flat out reject a feature that has not even been released yet. It's like give it some breathing room, it might help you out some later on

yep
deejdave 1:26 AM - 5 August, 2014
Reject? Yeah you are 100% correct. This could ONLY benefit the user as if it didn't he/she could simply stop using it. That being said to condemn prior to use is only cutting yourself short. I see nothing wrong with speculating though. Even if it is out loud.
Culprit 3:40 AM - 5 August, 2014
Quote:
Reject? Yeah you are 100% correct. This could ONLY benefit the user as if it didn't he/she could simply stop using it. That being said to condemn prior to use is only cutting yourself short. I see nothing wrong with speculating though. Even if it is out loud.

Agreed
Davideon 5:52 AM - 5 August, 2014
Quote:

Exactly. Imagine if Q-bert turned up to a show and said " here's a scratch I did at home yesterday", and pushed a play button.

The comment about " we are all playing pre recorded tracks" is irrelevant. We are DJs, not producers. By definition that is what we do. Artists like the Chemical Brothers do shows where they have all the elements of their tracks on sequencers etc. and recreate the tracks live. Playing prerecorded material isn't what it's about.

IMHO DJing is about the live creativity and what you do there and then. Yes initiating the flip is doing it there and then, but it's not.

This whole thing is moving to close to just playing pre recorded mixes IMHO.

And this must've taken a lot of time and programming to do. Yet ive only seen one request for something like this. Why not move faster on the bridge, or enabling smart crates to be sub crates etc. items that people actually want.
deejdave 6:38 AM - 5 August, 2014
I think they said something of it had nothing to do with the request but a NZ producer had the idea.............. something like that.
Culprit 7:02 AM - 5 August, 2014
Quote:
I think they said something of it had nothing to do with the request but a NZ producer had the idea.............. something like that.

Yep, exactly. A producer helped with the initial concept, and this also serves as a slicer function, so yeah its been requested. This is just an enhanced version of it. People have been requesting for years an on the fly solution for censoring tracks. Welp, here it is.

So yeah, this all in one solution solves alot of problems.

yep
Mr Wilks 12:22 PM - 5 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly. Imagine if Q-bert turned up to a show and said " here's a scratch I did at home yesterday", and pushed a play button.

The comment about " we are all playing pre recorded tracks" is irrelevant. We are DJs, not producers. By definition that is what we do. Artists like the Chemical Brothers do shows where they have all the elements of their tracks on sequencers etc. and recreate the tracks live. Playing prerecorded material isn't what it's about.

IMHO DJing is about the live creativity and what you do there and then. Yes initiating the flip is doing it there and then, but it's not.

This whole thing is moving to close to just playing pre recorded mixes IMHO.

And this must've taken a lot of time and programming to do. Yet ive only seen one request for something like this. Why not move faster on the bridge, or enabling smart crates to be sub crates etc. items that people actually want.

I think 'spilce' was one of the most requested features of the last few years. I seen many threads on it and co-signed many with a +1.

Being able to jump around a track and save that to the metadata inside the track is en exciting move for me as I don't have to spend time doing it in Ableton first. Anyone pre-recording scratches at home would already have done this on Ableton anyway. The tools are there.

Downloading one song from the record pools and getting up to six versions, including my own, at the same time is going to be pretty cool.

Some of us already pre-prepared these at home already. It's making an extended edit in Live.
Now we can do it all in one program and not have to open up Ableton unless we need to really add that extra 'sauce' to it :)

If I played my extended radio edit in the club, would you think I'm cheating as I made it yesterday in Ableton? Same thing. It's just now done in Serato.

I made extended edits in Ableton to play out and now you've made me feel like I'm a fraud with no talent as some people do it live... gutted ;)

(And no, it doesn't record scratches or platter movements).
P-Money 12:26 PM - 5 August, 2014
Hi guys. I am the 'producer' who brought the idea for Flip to Serato
Here's a quick video using Flip to record some cue point chops in offline mode

watch -> instagram.com

also below are my DJ credentials for those who may be unfamiliar :)
Watchwww.youtube.com
Mr Wilks 12:29 PM - 5 August, 2014
I can see why some people won't like it. I think it's not for everyone.

The remix decks wasn't for everyone in Traktor and the bridge was only adopted by a small percentage of SSL users (I used it with my APC40 and loved it).

I didn't see as many people worry too much about the bridge when it first turned up.
It's still a sore subject for many as it's still getting requested so DAW style programs all have their place for some.

I don't use the bridge any more now I'm on DJ.
Mr Wilks 12:32 PM - 5 August, 2014
Quote:

watch -> instagram.com

Watchwww.youtube.com

That Instagram video just put a big smile on my face. Thanks for that. It's exactly how i envisioned it to work.

Nice work on getting the concept out there.
Chinshue 12:34 PM - 5 August, 2014
Quote:

watch -> instagram.com

Watchwww.youtube.com

could you post another demo video of the flip
P-Money 12:38 PM - 5 August, 2014
Quote:

could you post another demo video of the flip

Yup, There's another clip here on my instagram.com

We are working on an official video too. I'll need to check with the crew at Serato before I say much more about that :)
P-Money 12:42 PM - 5 August, 2014
Quote:

That Instagram video just put a big smile on my face. Thanks for that. It's exactly how i envisioned it to work.

Nice work on getting the concept out there.

Thanks Mr Wilks. Glad you dig it
deejdave 4:36 PM - 5 August, 2014
Great stuff!! And thanks for putting in the work with the Serato team. Stuff like this is what makes them who they are. If they trusted you to work with them on this checking your credentials was necessary but at the same time a must as there will probably be some goo stuff. Will check in a little later but thanks again. I can't wait to use Flip myself.
djcrap 5:11 PM - 5 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

interesting when making uptempo or down tempo transitions wouldn't it be cool if flip recorded at the tempo set by pitch n time plugin if a users have one
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 6:08 PM - 5 August, 2014
It's much more than just being able to "cheat" and record some cue point bashing at home to play in the club rather than do it live.

Most of the preparation aspect of Flip is around the ability to make edits from your music to play live - DJ edits are not a new thing at all. Flip just makes it easier and faster to do this as well as giving you the ability to save multiple edits per track.

In a live environment, it lets you do a cue point routine - but then move away onto something else. You wouldn't pre-prepare this - you'd make the flip live and loop it, then you could mix into another track, or live flip drums into a different beat etc. There's a lot of possibility.

It's also a very straightforward feature set and is completely open to interpretation in ways we never even thought :)

Sam.
Davideon 6:20 PM - 5 August, 2014
Can you output a flip to a different channel?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 6:29 PM - 5 August, 2014
It's just like playing a track - it'll just play on the deck it's loaded to.

Sam.
Davideon 6:35 PM - 5 August, 2014
Shame
938MyDJ 6:49 PM - 5 August, 2014
I've read that this is already mapped with SX and NV...

How about with SP1?
blackavenger 7:21 PM - 5 August, 2014
Quote:
I've read that this is already mapped with SX and NV...

How about with SP1?

From Logan earlier in this thread.....

Quote:
Basically the first iteration of mappings will be for controllers that have a Hot Cue performance mode, and two parameter buttons when in this mode. We'll be looking at other hardware on a case-by-case basis to see how we could also map these. However, all user with FLIP will be able to MIDI map all of the FLIP controls to an external MIDI device anyway.

I imagine that would apply to the SP-1 as well.
DjSKum 7:27 PM - 5 August, 2014
I'm on holiday and annoyingly I can't test it, has anyone got this working with the vci-380 without using an external midi controller?
Mr Wilks 7:30 PM - 5 August, 2014
Quote:

Sam.

I suppose it could in instant doubled?
the SOUNDINSURGENT 7:33 PM - 5 August, 2014
Hope so ^^
Mr Wilks 7:37 PM - 5 August, 2014
Quote:
interesting when making uptempo or down tempo transitions wouldn't it be cool if flip recorded at the tempo set by pitch n time plugin if a users have one

That's what I wanted too. Serato did say that in the first version it won't but they'll look into how we are using it and adapt it.

Being able to make transitions would be the killer feature for an update to Flip.

A 16 beat loop grabbed from the outro/intro/whatever and placed in the breakdown that transitions from 125 to 100 bpm is where I want this to go eventually with future versions... oh and to remember loop slots/FX slots/sample slots.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Phil C 9:15 PM - 5 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Sam.

I suppose it could in instant doubled?

Totally. Instant doubling works a treat. I've had good fun doubling the flip and then turning it off so that I have a flip playing on one deck (just a simple beat) and the song playing through properly on the other.
Marv Incredible 10:09 PM - 5 August, 2014
Quote:
I imagine that would apply to the SP-1 as well.

Would be nice to get an official answer to this, seeing as I've just bought one and am already considering buying more.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 10:12 PM - 5 August, 2014
Yes. The DDJ-SP1 meets the criteria of having a a Hot Cue mode and two available parameter buttons :)
COOLOUT 10:58 PM - 5 August, 2014
I'm pretty excited for Flip. This and the utter cheapness of the Akai AMX might finally pull me over from SSL. I was waiting for Traktor to get parallel waveforms and Maschine integration but they aren't listening to DVS users at all. I wonder if Serato Remote will be updated for Flip.
DJ Michael Timex 11:12 PM - 5 August, 2014
I can't wait to experiment with this. I honestly wish everyone would stop pissing and moaning about advancements and concentrate on whooping ass musically again.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 11:45 PM - 5 August, 2014
Quote:
Yes. The DDJ-SP1 meets the criteria of having a a Hot Cue mode and two available parameter buttons :)

This is very good news!!
deejdave 12:03 AM - 6 August, 2014
Yeah I figured the DDJ-SZ, DDJ-SR, DDJ-SP1 & DDJ-SX all fit this being they were all the same layout.

Quote:
Basically the first iteration of mappings will be for controllers that have a Hot Cue performance mode, and two parameter buttons when in this mode.

I kind of thought this WAS the official answer LOL.

Quote:
I was waiting for Traktor to get parallel waveforms and Maschine integration but they aren't listening to DVS users at all.

Theres not much of ANYTHING going on over at Traktor's camp at all lately. Oh yeah TP2 is FREE with the X1 or Z1 this week LOL & a few new remix sets. but that's about it. I like Traktor so don't take this as hating just pointing out the obvious.

Quote:
I wonder if Serato Remote will be updated for Flip.

True dat!! And Also wondering HOW? Existing software (anything with GUI) updates are always the most groundbreaking as unlike with hardware you can literally change EVERYTHING at a moments notice.

Quote:
I can't wait to experiment with this. I honestly wish everyone would stop pissing and moaning about advancements and concentrate on whooping ass musically again.

Couldn't agree more.
blackavenger 12:38 AM - 6 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Basically the first iteration of mappings will be for controllers that have a Hot Cue performance mode, and two parameter buttons when in this mode.

I kind of thought this WAS the official answer LOL.

As did I.
AlxRyde 5:26 AM - 10 August, 2014
I'm still really confused as to what Flip is and how useful it'll be...I don't know if I missed something or not.

Is a Flip triggered, or is it armed? The idea of making clean edits of tracks with it make me think it's armed, but the videos I've seen give me the impression that triggering is the idea.

Since Flip records cue point presses, what does the Flip do when it exits (looped or unlooped)? Does it jump right back into the track, like Slip mode and a hotcue, or do you mark exit points with it as well? And speaking of Slip mode, do Flips also work with Slip mode?

Are flips also snapped to the grid; i.e. they play for 1, 4, etc. number of measures? Does Flip require beatgrids/sync to be on to work?

Finally is Flip recording necessarily in real time? For short edits I'm fine with realtime, but if I wanted to make a "clean edit" and have to manually record through 3 minutes of track to hit the censor button at the right times; well, I feel like that misses and track time could add up in prep time.

I'm already seeing it being pretty cool for getting in, out, and live reworking of a track, but the edit portion is what's confusing me.

*scratches head
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 5:38 AM - 10 August, 2014
Quote:
Is a Flip triggered, or is it armed? The idea of making clean edits of tracks with it make me think it's armed, but the videos I've seen give me the impression that triggering is the idea.

It can be either. When a FLIP is on, you play the track like normal and it will simply play back the recorded automation when it reaches that part of the song, and then carry on. This is how you'd use it for making extended/clean edits etc. You'd make the edit, turn it on and then leave it - every time you play the song it will just playback your FLIP version. But you can also trigger the start of the FLIP (the first action) by pressing START. This is useful for other things, perhaps you just made a beat and want to jump to the start of the automation for example.

Quote:
Since Flip records cue point presses, what does the Flip do when it exits (looped or unlooped)? Does it jump right back into the track, like Slip mode and a hotcue, or do you mark exit points with it as well? And speaking of Slip mode, do Flips also work with Slip mode?

When LOOP is on the FLIP just loops back to the start of the automation once it reaches the end. Think of it like a normal loop. When LOOP is off, it plays through the automation once then carries on playing through the song from wherever the FLIP ended.

Quote:
Are flips also snapped to the grid; i.e. they play for 1, 4, etc. number of measures? Does Flip require beatgrids/sync to be on to work?

You can use FLIP with Beatgrids/Quantize and Loop Snap which means it will be snapped and remain in perfect time. Or you can turn Loop Snap and Quantize off to set the Start/end point exactly when you press REC i.e like a manual loop.

Quote:
Finally is Flip recording necessarily in real time? For short edits I'm fine with realtime, but if I wanted to make a "clean edit" and have to manually record through 3 minutes of track to hit the censor button at the right times; well, I feel like that misses and track time could add up in prep time.

Nope, it doesn't have to be in real-time. In fact the song doesn't even have to playing. You can start a FLIP and trigger some cue points at the start of song, then jump right to the end of the track with your mouse, by dropping the needle to end of record, or however way you want and then record some cue points at the end of the song. FLIP just records the time in the song when you triggered cue point, so that's all it's looking at.

Hope that helps a bit man.
AlxRyde 3:45 PM - 10 August, 2014
Wow. Thanks for clearing it up Logan, that is pretty much the way I was hoping Flip would be set up! Preparation shouldn't be that much different from setting up cue points, and that opens up a lot of of new creative possibilities with SDJ...

Looking forward to the fall to try it out and see where it takes you guys
DJ Compiler 7:46 PM - 12 August, 2014
To clarify what AlxRyde asked. Will the flip record "2" cue jumps caused by slip mode or will it be unable to do this?
SiRocket 1:57 AM - 13 August, 2014
Can't wait to start doing some cue stuff like this in offline mode to use with flip! :)

-> Watchwww.youtube.com
The Return of Dj Sparky 3:01 AM - 22 August, 2014
I'm suprised we havent heard or seen a few vids, no doubt they gave the hardcore sdj users flip when 1.7 beta hit, some one has to be testing it aong with the beta, dam NDA's ha ha