Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Does the DDJ-SR require monitors?

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
dont-know
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SR
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Kenny704 11:37 AM - 2 June, 2014
Can I mix music on the ddj-sr simply through my macbook air without external speakers? Is the ddj-sr, macbook air, and headphones enough?
Davideon 3:25 PM - 2 June, 2014
Why would you want to? It would sound shit
Draven1327 4:52 PM - 2 June, 2014
simple answer, yes.

but plug your headphones into the headphone jack on the sr and set cue to master. its a bit tricky to get used to juggling the cue from cue to master but it helps practice djing when you cant make noise. i used to do the with my sx when it was latte night and the roommate needed sleep.
Serato, Support
Scott S 11:57 PM - 4 June, 2014
Hi Kenny704,

Natively you can not play music out of your computers built-in speakers, as your controller becomes the default soundcard.

You can either mix using the headphones as Draven1327 mentioned above, or you can set your computers soundcard to process the audio from your controller (Advanced, and only for Mac).

Read the steps here for more information about creating an aggregate audio device > serato.com

Regards
djrocktee 4:04 PM - 5 August, 2014
i would suggest buying a decent pair of studio monitors.. check out 'krk rokit 6 g3'
jrawl92 6:31 AM - 18 December, 2014
So, I have the DDJ-sr and I'm not getting any sound from the DDJ-sr to the studio moniters. Of course I have the TRS cable connected to the master out 1 port to XLR port (back of monsters). Any suggestions? I'm new to trying to DJ.
Riko Roos 12:17 PM - 18 December, 2014
Right soundcard set for any other software than serato?
Master volume knob turned up?
Something playing in Serato and Faders set right?
Cosmic Sunrise 7:57 AM - 19 December, 2014
Dont want to sound wrong but trying to dj and asking this kind of questions you should read the ddj se manuals and a lil bit of audio stuff
B-Radical 2:39 PM - 30 December, 2014
I am having the same problem as jrawl92.

I have TRS going out into my KRK monitors.
My input and output is both set to "Pioneer DDSR"..

Controller plays when using iTunes or YouTube, but when playing a track out of serato
I hear nothing. Channel strip LED's dont light up.

I have tried re-installing the software & firmware & also updated to OSX Yosemite and still nothing.

PLEASE HELP!!
Serato, Support
Ian W 3:06 AM - 6 March, 2015
Hey B-Radical,

You need to set the inputs and outputs set to the internal sound card NOT the Pioneer DDJ SR.

Give that a try and audio should play out of your speakers that are connected to your Controller.

Regards,

Ian
2:00 AM, 22 Apr 2015
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.