Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Honest opinions on what needs to be done with ssl

djdsk 9:30 AM - 9 November, 2004
I love ssl but the cratesd and tracxk finder is not the best to be honest as i was using fs for a year but evrything else is wicked.

What i feel needs to be done

Crates : This is the worst part as when doing a gig i only need to use 3-4 crates there should be a feature to hide crates , for example have a button at bottom show all crates then mark certain crates and click another button hide crates and thoose marked dissapear making it easier and just showing the crates your using.

Crate order : I should be able to sort the songs in a crate by bpm and have the song no. change , as at moment if i sort by bpm the song no. does not change . I should be able to sort by bpm then this will be the song order then i can go in and drag songs around.

Listening : There should be an option where i can make the top half of the screen change to a player like windows media player so i can listen to songs and arrange my crates then just switch back to the two dials when im djing

ID# tags: There should also be one which is import date as when using 3000 songs on a hard drive its impossible to remember where new stuff is , on fs i would pull up my hiphop then click the import date and the newest songs would be at top allowing me to put new stuff in the crates with the older stuff.

BPM : It would be good if for example i mix in one track which when pitched is at +2.6% , then i want to on the other deck double it up so if there was a function where i puch a key and the other deck imediately plays at +2.6 i could imediately do juggles and doubles as its at same speed . I dont have to messa round with fader .

BPM: Also it would be nice if when in INTER%NAL mode the pitch could be moved slowly allowing me to mix with the keyboard incase one deck fails .

SSL is great here is just the points i think should be improved as after using FS 1 year theese are some things i miss and a few extra points that could be added as well.
nik39 12:49 PM - 9 November, 2004
Hiding crates. Why do you create a crate and then hide it? Or are you talking about SSL should hide certain iTunes crates/playlists?

Quote:
Crate order : I should be able to sort the songs in a crate by bpm and have the song no. change , as at moment if i sort by bpm the song no. does not change . I should be able to sort by bpm then this will be the song order then i can go in and drag songs around.

Sort them by BPM, drag them to a new crate, it will then take the new sort order as the natural sorting, then you can click on the "#" column, and you can change the order.

Import date column has been suggested, and will be implemented.

Quote:
BPM : It would be good if for example ...

Uhm, have you recognized that if the tracks would be played both at the same BPM/pitch, that your records will move at different speeds then? I would say, thats very awkward, and wouldnt feel natural at all. For instance, I have two records, with the same song, one is a bootleged one, and the other is the original one. BOth are recorded at different speeds, so when I use markers on the record, it wont help me to find the same spot when I am doing backspins.
djpetey 5:13 PM - 9 November, 2004
maybe hes saying hide crates that youre not going to use that night? ex: spinning a hip hop club and hiding your house crate? just a guess.... If thats the case, i dont think its to hard to just ignore that crate for the night though.... unless it would somehow hide the songs in that crate from the master list of songs.... that could be cool becuase it would only show you the songs you might be spinning that night...
radish 7:01 PM - 9 November, 2004
Quote:
BPM: Also it would be nice if when in INTER%NAL mode the pitch could be moved slowly allowing me to mix with the keyboard incase one deck fails .

You can already mix with only one deck.
Quote:
Listening : There should be an option where i can make the top half of the screen change to a player like windows media player so i can listen to songs and arrange my crates then just switch back to the two dials when im djing

Agreed.
Quote:
Crates : This is the worst part as when doing a gig i only need to use 3-4 crates there should be a feature to hide crates , for example have a button at bottom show all crates then mark certain crates and click another button hide crates and thoose marked dissapear making it easier and just showing the crates your using.

How about being able to nest crates and display them in a tree view? Like directories on your computer. Then you could have a "Trance" crate which further splits down to "Hard Trance", "Cheese", "Prog" etc. You could also have a "Gigs" crate, with a seperate crate for each date, or however you wanted to arrange it. That way you could hide whole groups of crates by closing the crate they're inside.
djdsk 12:33 PM - 10 November, 2004
Ok ill expolain my reasons behind this

Hiding Crates : I already have around 25 crates on ssl so its very annoying and confusing to sort through , with FS i had crates saved and you just loaded them to use . It is essential for me as i dj at many different clubs and need to sort crates according to club e.g.

Hiphop underground 90-100bpm
hiphop underground 100-110bpm
hiphop rnb 90-100bpm
bboy breaks
bboy funk
drum n bass
jazzy drum n bass
speak easy bar saturday night and so on and so on

for me this feature is essentail

BPM:Want i ment was if im playing jurassic 5 and i mix in krs1 which is pitched at 3.4 % i then want to put the same krs1 track on the other deck to double and juggle but using technics with unacurate pitch i would have to watch the pitch until it reaches 3.4% if there was a button to set the same pitch i coulds then immediately start juggling the krs1 tune (does this m,ake sense)

Pitch control:yeah i agree this is silly but i live in China sometimes i just wanna go to a small bar without decks and play tunes using just ssl and a mixer so i was thinking of using sasl like the traktor software

ps.s. here is a mix i did with ssl and acid to record and do the edits on intro check it out if you got time:

hiphop (new skool) 25 mins 25 Mb
djdsk 12:35 PM - 10 November, 2004
Ok ill expolain my reasons behind this

Hiding Crates : I already have around 25 crates on ssl so its very annoying and confusing to sort through , with FS i had crates saved and you just loaded them to use . It is essential for me as i dj at many different clubs and need to sort crates according to club e.g.

Hiphop underground 90-100bpm
hiphop underground 100-110bpm
hiphop rnb 90-100bpm
bboy breaks
bboy funk
drum n bass
jazzy drum n bass
speak easy bar saturday night and so on and so on

for me this feature is essentail

BPM:Want i ment was if im playing jurassic 5 and i mix in krs1 which is pitched at 3.4 % i then want to put the same krs1 track on the other deck to double and juggle but using technics with unacurate pitch i would have to watch the pitch until it reaches 3.4% if there was a button to set the same pitch i coulds then immediately start juggling the krs1 tune (does this m,ake sense)

Pitch control:yeah i agree this is silly but i live in China sometimes i just wanna go to a small bar without decks and play tunes using just ssl and a mixer so i was thinking of using sasl like the traktor software

ps.s. here is a mix i did with ssl and acid to record and do the edits on intro check it out if you got time:

hiphop (new skool) 25 mins 25 Mb
djdsk 12:36 PM - 10 November, 2004
www.djdsk.com

sorry forgot link :)
djdsk 12:38 PM - 10 November, 2004
just click to listen or right click and select save as
nik39 12:38 PM - 10 November, 2004
djdsk, unfortunately your link got lost.

About the BPM thing, I understood what you mean, but as said, that will be a bit awkward, if both turntables play virtually at the same speed, but turn at different speeds, but thats just my opinion. Besides that, if you juggle backspin, do you need that pitch precision? I mean +3.4 or +3.5, dunno if that makes a big difference unless you want to do long transitions.
djdsk 1:00 PM - 10 November, 2004
yeah sorry mate i didnt get what you ment , i understand now yeah that the tables would turn at different rates good point :)So yeah that idea is pretty useless .

I think the red www.djdsk.com is the link try it if not if posted it underneath again

www.djdsk.com
nik39 6:05 PM - 10 November, 2004
djdsk, thanks, while I was writing the reply and the comment that your link was destroyed, you posted the correction. Sorry ;-)
nik39 6:29 PM - 10 November, 2004
djdsk, nice selection and nice blended and mixed. I only dislike the part where you stop and start the beat/juggle it, but thats somethin personal. It seems like it doesnt "fit" into that mix etc. But else then that nice, my 2 eurocents. =)
Revolutionary 6:42 PM - 10 November, 2004
Wow. "I'll kill anyone who dares to go against me." I've also used that sample a couple of times ;)
SpinThis! 9:40 PM - 10 November, 2004
haha no doubt. that sample is classic qbert booger breaks action right there (dunno where he originally got it though).
Revolutionary 10:09 PM - 10 November, 2004
www.djsamples.com You can get it from this site...Probably not where Qbert got it from though.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 1:35 AM - 11 November, 2004
Cool site revolutionary. you should put that in the Legal Downloads... thread
Revolutionary 5:33 AM - 11 November, 2004
Done ;)
djdsk 6:54 AM - 13 November, 2004
nik39

Good to get criticism cheers , yeah i was wondering about the juggle bit , but i wanted to make it more like hiphop style and not so balnd heres the track listing i forgot . The MIX is to promote our saturday club night here FEVER

1, fever intro - dj dsk
2, rat race - gift of gab
3, drop it like its hot - snoop
4, the return (remix) - jay z , r kelly , slick rick , doug fresh
5, women been sighted - nate dogg
6, golden - jill scott
7, love of my life - erykah badu
8, shopping bags - de la soul
G-man NYC 9:52 AM - 15 November, 2004
Quote:
ID# tags: There should also be one which is import date as when using 3000 songs on a hard drive its impossible to remember where new stuff is , on fs i would pull up my hiphop then click the import date and the newest songs would be at top allowing me to put new stuff in the crates with the older stuff.

this is something I really would like to see happen.
Thundercat 10:32 PM - 15 November, 2004
Quote:

Import date column has been suggested, and will be implemented.

nik39 stated this above (way above) and I hope he is serious. I would hate to have to pull a Trent Boyett on him... :)
nik39 10:37 PM - 15 November, 2004
Okay, whatever this "Trent Boyett" is, it doesnt sound very good. So I might correct it: "..., and I think it will be implemented". Or I should just quote the guy who said it.
If the guy who said this has the gutts, let him speak or forever hold his peace. ;-)