Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

DDJ-SB asking for Serato DJ license

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
Trini868 6:45 AM - 31 May, 2014
I own a Pioneer DDJ-SX and recently got a Pioneer DDJ-SB for smaller gigs. Every time I connect the DDJ-SB, Serato DJ keeps asking to buy/activate. The copy of Serato DJ on my computer should be activated because of the DDJ-SX. I shouldn't need a second license just for the DDJ-SB on the same computer.

Serials:
DDJ-SX - MEHN017973UC
DDJ-SB - NAMP018964NN
Jonn-E 10:41 AM - 31 May, 2014
i got the ddj-ssb and i had to purchase the full serato package,(which i was unaware before buyin it,cost about £90) the serato is linked to the controller your using not the computer unfortunatley
WildcardX 3:05 PM - 31 May, 2014
Quote:
i got the ddj-ssb and i had to purchase the full serato package,(which i was unaware before buyin it,cost about £90) the serato is linked to the controller your using not the computer unfortunatley

The Pioneer DDJ-SB is a Serato DJ INTRO controller and is Serato DJ compatible, therefore, as said before you would need to purchase the license for it. Your other controllers authenticate the SDJ license with the application.
Serato, Support
Micah G. 2:11 AM - 3 June, 2014
Hey Trini868,

Jonn-E & WildcardX are correct.

The DDJ-SX is a pro controller, and comes with a free upgrade to Serato DJ linked exclusively to that hardware.

The DDJ-SB is an intro controller, and can be used with Serato DJ Intro for free. To use a intro controller with the full version of Serato DJ, you need a standalone Serato DJ licence. You can get that here - store.serato.com

Hope that helps :-)

Cheers,
Micah
Trini868 2:16 AM - 3 June, 2014
Understood but not explicitly stating that the Serato DJ license is controller tied to the DDJ-SX when it was released is misleading.

It's disappointing that I now have to pay full price - no discount for purchasing the DDJ-SB and/or already owning the DDJ-SX, or throw me a bone and offer Video support - to be able to use Serato DJ with both controllers on the same computer.

All this so I can have a controller that fits in my backpack...sigh.

It almost makes me want to switch to Virtual DJ which surprisingly works with both controllers, upgrade price is discounted (because I owned a Hercules controller) AND has video support already built in.

This is something the Marketing Team needs to address. I am very disappointed.
Serato, Support
Micah G. 10:50 PM - 3 June, 2014
Hey Trini868,

Sorry you feel that way. I'm unable to change the licensing agreements we have in place for that.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,
Micah
Soundlion 6:07 AM - 14 February, 2015
Quote:
Hey Trini868,

Jonn-E & WildcardX are correct.

The DDJ-SX is a pro controller, and comes with a free upgrade to Serato DJ linked exclusively to that hardware.

The DDJ-SB is an intro controller, and can be used with Serato DJ Intro for free. To use a intro controller with the full version of Serato DJ, you need a standalone Serato DJ licence. You can get that here - store.serato.com

Hope that helps :-)

Cheers,
Micah

I own a DDJ SX … bought a SB for smaller gigs. Didn't know about all this licensing nonsense … it blows. Returning it tomorrow.
lateddybear62@aol.com 9:01 PM - 16 March, 2015
I have the DDJ SB and I already have my Serato DJ license. MY PC crash on me so I purchased a new windows 8.1. I re-installed the software and downloaded the drivers from pioneer... After I did that and loaded up the Serato software my turntables do not come up in the window and Serato is not reading my license... Is there a work around for this issue...Can some PLEASE HELP ME...
WildcardX 9:12 PM - 16 March, 2015
You need to email support@serato.com. They may be able to advise on the license.
Vones 1:24 PM - 1 April, 2015
i got a same concern, bought a DDJ SR, with licensed SDJ software, now i want to use SB but cannot use it.. Misleading. How come, i need to buy separately when i already have one. Is that how serato makes money?
WildcardX 2:21 PM - 1 April, 2015
The SR is a Serato Enabled controller and the SB is Serato Ready. You can see this just by checking the Internet. This is in no way misleading as it never says that it comes with Serato DJ on any of the documentation. It says it comes with INTRO and you can uprgrade to Serato DJ.
Vones 3:10 PM - 1 April, 2015
I understand Mr. WildcardX, but maybe they could've just not include the CD instead, let say for example, i bought an SB, indicated there, i need to download the SDJ Intro, so i can use the software, it'll run on a free software as SDJ Intro is. Then i bought for example an SR, then i will also do the same thing, but, i do need to purchase it so i fully use the entire software including i can plug the SB, since i payed for the software already. just my two cents.
deejdave 12:37 AM - 6 April, 2015
Quote:
since i payed for the software already

You payed for a specific controller (DDJ-SR) license for SDJ. Similar to how VDJ offers controller specific licenses. www.virtualdj.com
gianby 1:30 PM - 12 April, 2015
i have a rane sl3, pioneer ddj sx and a ddj sb. how many time i've to pay license?
i spent 2000$ for controllers and now serato want more money for same license?
Controller works very wel. Hope to sell SL3 and come back to traktor.
This kind of licensing is ridiculous.
deejdave 5:02 PM - 12 April, 2015
This per controller licensing is exactly how VDJ does it as well unless you purchase the Infinity pro license which is $300. Serato only charges $129 for the full license which can be used with ALL supported SDJ intro controllers as well as club kit mixers.

When you purchased the SL3 you received a specific SL3 SSL license which you received a FREE SDJ upgrade.

When you purchased the SX you received a specific DDJ-SX SDJ license.

When you purchased the DDJ-SB you received a specific DDJ-SB SDJ Intro license.

Not once did you purchase an actual SDJ full license as it is NOT included with any hardware they offer.

In the end if you are not happy with it like you said switch to Traktor.
2:00 AM, 27 Apr 2015
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.