Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

How do I use serato Dj Fx with a 62 ?

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Rane Sixty-Two
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
monkeyfunk 8:22 PM - 30 May, 2014
Love the onboard Fx, have unlocked the fx packs but for the life of me font know how to apply them - appreciate any advice
Rane, Support
Zach S 10:55 PM - 30 May, 2014
Hey monkeyfunk,

It depends on how you want to use them.
You can use the USB insert on the mixer for post fader software effects or you can trigger them from the software pre-fader.

If you want to use the insert you just need to press the USB Insert button on the mixer.
Turn the green ON button on on the mixer, turn the effect ON in the software, and turn up the wet/dry knob in the software.
Now to apply a software effect to a channel simply turn on the Flex FX button just like you would when applying an on board effect.
DJ Kid Stretch 6:18 AM - 15 August, 2014
I have a problem with this.
I bought the Rane 62 a month ago, installed the latest Serato DJ version and the latest firmware. I also use DDJ SP1 to play.

I try to use the effects as post fader, but they won't work.
The only way that it works is if i don't assing each deck with an effect, so the effects acts like a master effect (both tracks).

I did all the steps you suggested in the post above, could there something be wrong with my mixer? Thanks!
Rane, Support
Zach S 3:26 PM - 15 August, 2014
Quote:
The only way that it works is if i don't assing each deck with an effect, so the effects acts like a master effect (both tracks).

Once you turn on the USB Insert on the mixer you won't be able to assign the FX to a specific deck within the software.
You would turn on the Flex FX button for any of the channels to get the signal "effected".
DJ Kid Stretch 5:17 PM - 15 August, 2014
i see, got it! :) i would be nice if it could be done, though, we would have extra effects! :)
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:32 PM - 15 August, 2014
You can still use multiple effects. You just couldn't have effect 1 on one deck and effect 2 on another.
DJ Kid Stretch 5:44 PM - 15 August, 2014
thanks Zach! :)
MBLL 10:32 PM - 7 September, 2014
Quote:
You can still use multiple effects. You just couldn't have effect 1 on one deck and effect 2 on another.

Why is it not possible to use internal efx on one deck and external on the other? I used to have Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5, external soundcard and a Rane ttm56s, and it was possible with that. I could apply different efx to each channel as long one of the decks efx was internal.

Thanks
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:29 PM - 9 September, 2014
Quote:
Why is it not possible to use internal efx on one deck and external on the other?

This is possible if you are running the internal effect pre-fader (without turning on the USB Insert button.)
Otherwise the post fader software effect runs through the Flex FX loop which is the same loop the external effects run through.
MBLL 9:17 PM - 9 September, 2014
I would be nice, if it was possible to run internal efx on one Channel and external on the other.
Rane, Support
Zach S 9:39 PM - 9 September, 2014
Well you can by doing what I stated above.
You would just need to map the on/off of the internal effect to a MIDI controller or use your mouse to turn it on/off.

So.. use the Flex FX loop on the mixer to run external effects on, say, channel 2 and use an internal effect on deck 1 in the software which would route to channel 1 on your mixer.

Its exactly how you would use Traktor.
MBLL 6:59 PM - 10 September, 2014
Hi Zach.

Thank you for your quick reply.

I can not get it to work on my Sixty One.

I want to scratch with a delay on channel 1 (with post fader efx), and run a beat with other software efx on channel 2.
But the only way I can get a post-fader efx on, is by turning the USB-insert button ON. This makes all my channels run through my FLEX FX on my 61. Which makes it impossible to have different efx on the channels.
7:04 PM, 10 Sep 2014
MBLL attached a file: Skærmbillede 2014-09-10 kl. 21.02.59.png
View· Permalink
7:04 PM, 10 Sep 2014
MBLL attached a file: Skærmbillede 2014-09-10 kl. 21.03.30.png
View· Permalink
Rane, Support
Zach S 9:48 PM - 10 September, 2014
Like I said.. one effect would have to be pre-fader and one effect ran through the Flex FX bus post-fader.
MBLL 6:01 AM - 11 September, 2014
Is there a guide to this? I seem to be to stupid to get it working.

I can only get a post fx when I activate the USB insert on my Rane Sixty One.
Which activates the USB-Inserton all channels in the Serato Software.
monkeyfunk 10:41 AM - 11 September, 2014
Well, I'm glad it's not just me who finds this difficult to fire up on the Rane mixers - can anyone do an idiot's guide or step-by-step ?
Rane, Support
Zach S 3:38 PM - 11 September, 2014
You need to turn OFF the USB insert entirely.

This will disengage post fader software effects.

From there, select whatever effect you want and choose the deck its effecting (within the software.)

Now if you are also using an external FX processor you can turn on the EXT Insert and then press the Flex FX button on either Channel 1 or 2 to apply the external effect.

You can't have one post fader software effect on one deck and another on the other deck.
If you want to have two separate effects on either deck you have to use the software effects pre-fader (without the USB Insert turned on on the mixer.)
MBLL 3:51 PM - 11 September, 2014
Thanks for your help Zach S.

That is not good news:-(

It would be an excellent future feature if the Serato DJ software made it possible to turn one of the channels fx internal, while the other is external. Especially now, when they are selling the fx add-on packs. (I have already purchased the all).

I want to be able to bang out a beat using the SP6 Sampler with fx, while scratching with other fx (post-fader). Otherwise the new Akai AFX and Reloop Neon seems pointless to buy.
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:04 PM - 11 September, 2014
Quote:
I want to be able to bang out a beat using the SP6 Sampler with fx, while scratching with other fx (post-fader).

Yes... you would need an external effects processor to use for the post fader effect.
Mike Czech 6:10 AM - 7 October, 2014
Quote:

It depends on how you want to use them.
You can use the USB insert on the mixer for post fader software effects or you can trigger them from the software pre-fader.

If you want to use the insert you just need to press the USB Insert button on the mixer.
Turn the green ON button on on the mixer, turn the effect ON in the software, and turn up the wet/dry knob in the software.
Now to apply a software effect to a channel simply turn on the Flex FX button just like you would when applying an on board effect.

Zach-

Every time I try to do this, the audio cuts out completely. I.E. I have the "Enable Mixer DJ-FX Send" box option checked in the Setup, red insert button pressed, green on/off button pressed, but then when I hit blue flex FX buttons on channels the audio just cuts out. Dry/Wet doesn't change anything, nothing I can do seems to make it work. Any ideas?
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:38 PM - 7 October, 2014
What effect are you using in the software? Echo out?

The above works properly with most effects but not the echo out.
Try something like a flanger.
Mike Czech 6:23 PM - 7 October, 2014
It doesn't work with any FX I've tried, like any of them at all. Either in 3 FX mode or 1 FX mode. I only use a Sixty Two on my every-other Tuesday gig, I can take better notes then, but I made sure firmware is up to date and everything else is good. Also, this is with SSL and DJ-FX. I don't use SDJ on a professional basis yet.
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:56 PM - 7 October, 2014
Did you make sure the effect in SSL is turned on and the wet/dry of the effect is turned up?

It may be best to call us when you're in front of the mixer so we can do some trouble shooting over the phone.
Mike Czech 11:13 PM - 7 October, 2014
Yes and yes. I know DJ-FX well and have been stumped on this one. I don't think I can call from the venue as it's pretty loud when I'm playing, but I could try to shoot a video of it.
Rane, Support
Zach S 11:18 PM - 7 October, 2014
Video would be helpful for sure:)

Include footage of the Plugins tab in Setup and of the effect section of both the mixer and within SSL.
Rane, Support
Zach S 11:19 PM - 7 October, 2014
This isn't the Canadian Mike Czech is it?
Mike Czech 2:21 AM - 8 October, 2014
Thanks, and no this is Mike Czech from San Diego. snsmix.com and soundcloud.com
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:42 PM - 8 October, 2014
Cool:) Nice to meet you:)
dj-freestyle 7:12 PM - 9 October, 2014
i had that in the beginning mike and it will come to me what it is. give me a second.
Mike Czech 10:18 PM - 9 October, 2014
Quote:
i had that in the beginning mike and it will come to me what it is. give me a second.

Thanks, looking forward to jogging your memory!!
Mike Czech 7:30 PM - 17 October, 2014
Well I got a new laptop, brand new 13" Retina Macbook with 512GB SSD. Tried again on the DJ-FX on the Sixty Two and it worked! Not sure why my older laptop couldn't swing it, I cloned the old drive onto the new one, so all settings, plug-ins, and drivers are the same.

Issue solved for now!
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:35 PM - 17 October, 2014
Great news;)
monkeyfunk 7:49 PM - 17 October, 2014
Quote:

I'm looking forward to this.
dj-freestyle 3:20 PM - 20 October, 2014
I still cant rememeber what is was. lol lol lol. i think the button it set up for unsing internal effects has something to do with it. ill have to stare at the screen when im in the studio. i think zach helped me then to fix it. its a long time ago.
Mr. Goodkat 10:06 PM - 29 October, 2014
can you use the SDJ efx post fader on the 61 or just on the 62?
Rane, Support
Zach S 10:21 PM - 29 October, 2014
Yes.. the 61 works the same way.
Mr. Goodkat 10:26 PM - 29 October, 2014
thanks z
djnotorrious 2:58 AM - 16 November, 2014
also make sure that you are in "A" on the 62 because the the software effects won't work
in "B"
DJ Chris Brannon 11:15 PM - 3 February, 2015
When I use USB insert and then select the channel using Flex Effect my audio drops out for a split second. Im using a rand 62 on the latest firmware and the 1.7.3 version of Serato DJ any ideas?
Johnnynights 1:30 AM - 4 February, 2015
Same here i cant find a fix for this
dj-freestyle 4:53 PM - 4 February, 2015
Im sure zach can help from rane.
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:55 PM - 5 February, 2015
Quote:
When I use USB insert and then select the channel using Flex Effect my audio drops out for a split second. Im using a rand 62 on the latest firmware and the 1.7.3 version of Serato DJ any ideas?

This is due to the latency that get introduced when the insert is engaged.
The workaround is to turn the FX ON button OFF before engaging the insert.
From there, turn on the Flex FX button for any of the channels, and then turn the ON button back on.

I realize this makes for a strange workflow but its the only way to avoid that drop:(
DJ Chris Brannon 8:34 PM - 5 February, 2015
Zach I Reached out to Serato as well and this is the response I received..

"This is a known issue. We have logged it as a bug and it is a high priority to get fixed. I apologize for this happening - at the moment I can not say when it will be fixed but hopefully sometime soon."

Is this something that will be fixed or is the work around the way it will always be?
dj-freestyle 7:25 PM - 24 February, 2015
serato will fix it i have no doubt.
monkeyfunk 9:56 AM - 17 April, 2015
My answer to this was to purchase a Pioneer SP1. Thanks all for the help and hope it managed to unlock a few other issues along the way.