Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

No centered videos caused after quicktime decodes video.

Product
Serato Video
Version
Hardware
Numark NS7
Host
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
djkavika 8:11 PM - 29 May, 2014
Is there anyway to keep quicktime from decoding some videos? The not centered issues, blinking video after Serato decides to decode a video with quicktime. Once it loads another decoder such as Lav Filters the video will become offcentered. I compared 2 videos that are similar in resolution using g-spot the only difference was the audio bitrate. When the decoders switch that what seems to trigger 90% of my issues. Is there a registry key to actually force directshow just like the alwaysusequicktime ?
djkavika 7:32 PM - 30 May, 2014
If you do not have an answer for this, is there anyway to know what triggers the video to decode in quicktime so I can just rencode those videos?
Serato, Support
Micah G. 1:14 AM - 10 June, 2014
Hey djkavika,

Read this article, and download the 2nd script to force registry to use DirectShow - serato.com

Let me know how that goes :-)

Cheers,
Micah
djkavika 7:16 PM - 10 June, 2014
I found the if the file name has extended characters it will load with quicktime. I am fixing the issue as a I come across it. I have other issues to work through so don't close this out yet.
Serato, Support
Micah G. 1:31 AM - 11 June, 2014
No problem, let me know how that goes :-)

Micah
djkavika 8:32 AM - 24 June, 2014
This is what I think is the whole issue with serato video. It cant figure out what the resolution is for the video when loaded in memory. It also has some sort of memory management issue What make no sense at all is if you load lets say video a in deck a, then load video a in deck b the using quicktime it will just start dropping frames. If you use a different codec Lav or ffdshow it will load it at a different resolution and be cropped. I know if you change the resize to screen resolution will kind of work, but will max out the CPU. I cant play any HD videos with quicktime, even some that were purchased on itunes. I have tried different computers, video cards, drivers and read pretty much every post on this site.

Once you load a video it doesnt like either quicktime or directshow it starts to fail -memory issue.

I know some say it is working for them, and it might but they don't even no why, maybe all their videos are 640x360 and 1 specific codec setting. This is great for all you old videos but everytime you get new ones you need to reencode everything.

My question is there anything on the roadmap when serato video will just work for the PC side?

Issues: Color space show up as unknown, videos show wrong resolution in debug, buffer dropouts

My videos are not the problem, they play fine on mac. They play fine on virtualdj on this PC. Was any of this software tested by anyone, it doesn't really work.

FYI my PC is a beast, it doesn't lockup and wasn't cheap. It works all the time and has no issues, except with this software.

thanks,
David
Code:E 8:42 PM - 9 May, 2015
Quote:
I have many of the same problems you mentioned. The good guys at Serato have never ever seemed to really care about looking into these issues and actually fixing them on the PC side.

They care, but more often than not it's an issue with your computer and the content you are using. That's why any video DJ worth his salt uses a mac for live performance. It's common knowledge that if you want to do video on a PC get Virtual DJ. It's much better. Serato is just VERY picky, which means when you play by serato's rules you get the most stable platform on the market. PC support (for video) is really just lip service for guys who have yet to realize that Mac is the way to go for video.

Thats enough Mac vs. PC for now.

Check out Listen Dat's thread on LAV, tons and tons of great info on how to get it working, just make sure you are using proven good content (which means Xtendamix or VJ-pro videos) before you even start or expect you will always have issues.