Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Serato quit unexpectedly

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Rane SL3
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Johnny Havana 2:38 AM - 27 May, 2014
SDJ just crashed in the middle of my set. I had been playing about 2 hours and my SDJ just froze in the middle of a song and the music stopped. After couple of seconds I got a notification "Serato DJ Quit Unexpectedly". Software did not give any warning of a possible crash. No USB dropout warnings, no music glitches or any anomalities. The file was not corrupt and I tried playing the same file later without any problems. In my point of view I had a feeling of an unstabile software. Scratch Live has never done anything like this. I really think that SDJ is just not yet ready for real action :-(. I played the rest of my gig with Scratch Live.
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:54 PM - 28 May, 2014
Hey Johnny,

It sounds like you may have a corrupt file(s) in your library.
I would suggest analyzing your entire library..
Know that various versions of Serato software handle corrupt files differently.
One version may not have an issue with a file while another one will.
That is why we suggest you reanalyze your entire library anytime you update to a new version.
You do this by unplugging your Rane hardware, holding down the ctrl key, and clicking on the 'analyze files' tab.
Once its done analyzing your files look through the 'all' section for any corrupt files.
They will have an icon next to them that looks like a cd with a crack down the middle of it.
If you are having SDJ read your iTunes library and you see any files with corrupt iTunes logos next to them you'll need to jot them down, shut down SDJ, open iTunes, delete them from iTunes, and then re-open SDJ.

Once your library is corrupt file free give it a good test run and let us know if you are still having issues.
Johnny Havana 6:24 AM - 16 June, 2014
Okay, I tried doing what you suggested above. I re-analyzed my files in SDJ. Last night I was on a gig, this time I used DDJ-SX as a controller. It did crash again. Both files were not corrupt and they were both bought from iTunes. After the crash I put a mixtape on from my iPod and restarted SDJ. I tried playing the same songs again to my headphones. No problems. I think the crashes are not related to the file corruption. Something just happens in the software and it crashes without warning every now and then. Scratch Live is much more stabile because I have never seen it crashing like this whether there was corrupt files or not. This time I couldn't swich to Scratch Live because I was on DDJ-SX. I felt shamed because of the crash and felt uncomfortable to play with SDJ the rest of the night. Luckily there was no more crashes that night.
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:47 PM - 16 June, 2014
I cannot provide assistance for SDJ when using it with any non Rane product.
You would want to post in the Pioneer help section of the forum for that.

Let me know if you're still having issues when using the SL3 and we'll go from there.
DJ JASO 7:42 PM - 9 September, 2014
Hello there,
Same thing has just happend with me Im using the SL4. Not sure what to think I have a wedding this weekend. And Scratch is glitching also.. In Scratch the right deck is going in reverse faster and faster. Yet it does the same thing in both of my set ups. One using rane 68 the other SL4.. I dont know which is worse the reverse thing that stays on with only on deck available. Or the totally quiting of Serato Dj.. I will do what you said on the comment up top. Any other suggestions?
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:58 PM - 9 September, 2014
Hey Jaso,

Please start your own help request and we'll assist you there. Thanks:)
Bernard 5:15 AM - 8 October, 2014
I'm having the same problem. I'm using sl2. The issue is that left deck is quiting on me and sometimes the software crashes. Serato please fix this problem
DJ Charlie Spriggs 2:52 AM - 20 October, 2014
Sorry to hijack this thread but I have been having the same problem as well SL3....This is ridiculous Serato. I will crate my own thread when I have been through every single trouble shooting step I can think of because you guys have provided me with no help on my previous thread I crated.

I feel you pain OP and other people having the same issues... This is not good for our events and bars...Crashes cause our bars and stuff to lose money which causes us to lose money...

Sorry for the rant but I'm extremely frustrated after I've sank tons of money into Rane and Serato products.
djmauriciohitai 2:50 AM - 29 October, 2014
same problem with me...
im using DDJ sx once ...the music just quit in the midle of my set....and second time ..the censor jus turn it on and reverse my song
could u help me?
DJ Rontech 6:25 PM - 22 February, 2015
same here it did me during a gig the file wave looking like it was missing chunks of data on the wave then serato quit on me wtf.
2:00 AM, 22 Apr 2015
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.