Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Pitch bend doent work on either Platter

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SZ
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
DJ Krissi D 5:52 PM - 24 May, 2014
Hi

Running both with updated firmware and Serato DJ as of 24/5/2014

The Pitch bend on the SZ doesn't work? ie when you spin the platter by touching the side only for slight touch ups during mixes it doesn't work.

Quantize is off but have tried with it on too still the same.

is this a known fault and if so, or not how long till this is fixed as Im having to use pitch bend on the keyboard on the mac

Serato, Support
Sam GG 4:58 AM - 3 June, 2014
Hey,

Could I please have your computers full specs and a list of all USB devices connected?

Can you please make sure that you have the latest Firmware and drivers for the SZ: pioneerdj.com

Sam
DJ Krissi D 11:39 AM - 3 June, 2014
Mac Book Pro 13"
2.8 Ghz Intel i7
8 GB DDR3
2x Solid State internal drives (System Drive 512gb Music and Video Drive 1tb)

Serato DJ and The Pioneer Firmware where updated as per the release a couple of weeks ago as mentioned in original post above.

Plugged into the Mac
USB for DDJ-SZ
USB Lead to connect Ipad for Serato Remote
Thunderbolt connected to HDMI out for Video's

Compared to a Nexus or a normal CDJ using control discs you really have to spin the side of the platter to get the smallest of adjustments. to adjust the playing or live track by 1/4 a beat its usually say quarter a turn. on the DDJ SZ you have to spin the platter constantly to the pint im not sure it does anything at all?
Serato, Support
Sam GG 4:09 AM - 9 June, 2014
Hey DJ Krissi D,

Does it make a difference if you change the JOG FEELING ADJUST knob?

Can you please try loading a track to one of the decks, do not push play, now can you please try doing a pitch bend by moving the platter when the track is stopped. Does the waveform move at all?

Sam
DJ Krissi D 4:53 PM - 15 June, 2014
on both decks load a track did not press play and spun the platter by touching the sides as if i was to pitch bend...

it moves but super slow. you have to spin the platter at least 8 full revolutions just to move the waveform from the start of a snare sound to the end. so you could argue its pretty useless like this.

Compared to a CDJ with control discs in the same state a quarter turn on the platter moves the waveform 2-3 bars!

i did the Jog wheel thing but this is just a mechanical resistance knob so will have no effect on the issue.

Surly you Guys got one of these to try this on where you are as Im sure this is not isolated to all my units?

Kris
Serato, Support
Sam GG 9:55 PM - 15 June, 2014
Hey Kris,

I have investigated this here and you are correct. The pitch bend is not very sensitive, however, it has been that way since 1.6.0 when the DDJ-SZ was first released. It cannot be treated as a bug as the behaviour has always been the same.

Some DJ's like a sensitive pitch bend while others prefer one that requires a lot of motion to make a small change.

We can't really change this because as far as I can recall you are the first to bring this up. Its probably best to create a post here: serato.com - If enough people show support for the issues and it looks like a big issue for the DDJ-SZ community we can look to changing it or making it adjustable by the user.

Sam
DJ Krissi D 12:01 AM - 17 June, 2014
I will Do that but surly regardless of the fact it was there at the start all your products should be in line with each other so us touring DJ's that go From controller to Rane hardware get a consistent experience

This was one of the main reasons Pioneer became the industry standard and continues to do so. no matter what the equipment you recognised it and could get on with it. The DDJ-SZ seems to be stand alone and goes against this. And differs in feel massively to all other products?

This does seem like your shelving the issue but consistency across all your products will ensure you remain at the top as the market leader and the industry standard.

having hardware and software consistencies is a must!

I shouldn't have to get support on the issue...

as Im sure you got the Hardware there and I cant Verify this till I meet with my supplier in a week but Im Guessing the DDJ-SX-SR-SB are not like this. Which then should lead to why the DDJ-SZ is? Which it shouldn't...

I know your a small team but it really seems a grind to get issues and messages across sometimes.

Kris
DJ Krissi D 12:12 AM - 17 June, 2014
Just Clicked your Forum Link. Is this a joke this is not a feature Suggestion this is a Feature that does not work I'm sorry.

Do the same test on a CDJ and Turntable with a SL box. That is the Expectation?

Please think about this the Pitch bend is to mimic the touches on the side of a turntable. Do you honestly think that when I'm mixing on a deck and it goes out of phase I'm going to spin up the side of the deck 8 times to move it one beat! who mixes like that?

You never train for that. It should mimic a turntable that is what all the turntabalists train on and expect a similar feel on the controller

Come see sense here it was wrong from the start.

An Lets be honest when Serato DJ came out there was major Floors for the REL users which made it unreliable. That was wrong from the start? We all make mistakes.
DJ Krissi D 12:42 AM - 17 June, 2014
Sorry to do this but this is the First Sentence you guys have written to describe the DDJ-SZ on your website....

"The Pioneer DDJ-SZ is the first Pioneer controller to closely match the experience of a CDJ-2000nexus and DJM-900nexus setup for the most intuitive DJ experience."

if i put a control disc in my nexus it doesn't come close in feel or Experience....

This now is coming more under "Deceptive Advertising" as false and misleading statements have been made about the hardware that it does not meet in comparison to the NEXUS as you have Stated.

I don't want to be "That Guy" however i need you to see this is an issue not a feature suggestion as you advertise this above.

Go on put a Nexus next to the DDJ-SZ they don't evan come close? (regarding the pitch bend) which is up there as one of the top 5 things you need out of any player

Instant Start
Accurate Pitch Control
Reliability
Accurate Manipulation (Scratching to Bend)
Quality of Sound

All other Features are for performance as you know and a bonus but the above is a must!
DJ Krissi D 12:48 AM - 17 June, 2014
Evan on the Pioneer Website the Comparison is made of which it falls Short. this is an issue not a Feature Suggestion.

I am Laughing now at how silly this is. Just Say its an issue and put it in the Queue of problems/Bugs to fix...
DJ Krissi D 12:50 AM - 17 June, 2014
ps Im now writing the same things on this thread and the one you asked me to do. so if you could put you replies in both that would be great.

serato.com
Serato, Support
Sam GG 1:53 AM - 17 June, 2014
Thankyou for starting a feature request, that is the best way to get our products team on board.

The reason I'm refraining from logging this as a bug for now is that this controller underwent a vast amount of testing by us and Pioneer and as far as I know it was designed this way. Correct me if I'm wrong but the Pioneer announcement regarding the DDJ-SZ was to do with platter latency and capacitive touch sensitivity, not pitch bend sensitivity: pioneerdj.com Its possible that it was a grand oversight but the fact that most users are happy with it and have not made help requests concerning the pitch bend sensitivity makes me believe this is more of an issue with personal preference. However, that being said, I respect your opinion and think it would be an excellent idea if users could change the Pitch Bend sensitivity in the software themselves to match their own preferences. This would keep everybody happy.

Sam
DJ Krissi D 6:12 PM - 17 June, 2014
Sam its not a feature or personal preference!!! the DDJ-SZ reacts nothing like the other controllers, doesn't come close to Rane hardware either.

Its an outsider, Wrong, Design Flaw.

Looks like I'm going to have to find the New Zealand Equivalent of Trading standards. report this as both pioneer websites and your own does come under "Deceptive Advertising" as false and misleading statements have been made about the hardware that it does not meet in comparison to the NEXUS as you have Stated.

For the love of God i don't want my own personal pitch bend preference i want the standard one that all DJ's are used to using Control discs and on all other controllers???

Run a NEXUS pitch bend test..... then the same test as you performed above on the DDJ-SZ Does its come close to matching the Experience the answer is no? False Statement! no argument I'm sorry

Kris
DJ Krissi D 6:15 PM - 17 June, 2014
PS
I Quote my previous help request not due to similarities in the issue but how it was dealt with and all the hurdles we all had to jump through for you guys to see sense to fix it.

i think there was 3 updates to the software before it was fixed and it had a massive social and forum presence....

And look how long that took.

Don't change the standards of your Hardware/Software. you will fail if this Mantra continues.
Serato, Support
Sam GG 4:23 AM - 18 June, 2014
Hey Kris,

Although I'm not logging this as a bug I have brought it up with members of our products team and our development team. They will look into this further for you and hopefully I can get back to you with an update, although I cannot promise that it will be exactly the change you are after.

Cheers, Sam
dj-freestyle 7:34 PM - 19 June, 2014
Im thinking maybe his unit it flawed. im using my sz next to cdjs and the pitch bend isnt very different so either his setttings are off or his unit is defective.
DJ Fito Raleigh nc 9:52 PM - 27 July, 2014
i have the same problem please look for a solution for this problem
i agree that this is a main problem in this unit
Davideon 6:38 AM - 28 July, 2014
My sz platters pitch bend works like a dream.
dj-freestyle 3:39 PM - 28 July, 2014
mine to. love it.
hally_b18 3:05 PM - 30 July, 2014
I have this same problem, latest serato version and latest firmware.

The pitch bend is not sensitive at all, tried adjusting jog feeling, makes no difference.

The side adjust on the platters requires alot of movement for any addjustment to take affect.

What is being done about this?
DJ Chuckie Chuck 12:43 AM - 31 July, 2014
Same problem here.
A quick question: can i DOWNGRADE the SZ firmware ?
DJ Chuckie Chuck 12:44 AM - 5 August, 2014
Is this thread inactive ?
hally_b18 3:06 PM - 6 August, 2014
a serato representivite reply would be nice.

can you downgrade the SZ firmware?
i'm positive the platters were more responsive in the previous version.
dj-freestyle 5:00 PM - 6 August, 2014
ive seen no change in any of the updates and works perfect. very strange. wonder why happening to some and not others. go into pioneer setup mode and adjust ms and see if it helps.
Serato, Support
Scott S 12:43 AM - 7 August, 2014
Hey guys, a bug has been logged regarding this issue. We are still investigating what is causing this. It seems the DDJ-SZ can be put into a state where the platter issue occurs, but doesn't seem to occur for everyone, and hard to reproduce.

I don't have any further info as to when it will be implemented/fixed, but once we find what is causing it we can take appropriate action. Hopefully this can be fixed in a future release of either firmware or software. Thanks for staying patient.

Kind regards
hally_b18 10:09 AM - 13 August, 2014
thanks for the response.

i hope the problem is found and fixed as soon as possible.

Please keep us informed!
djmarkdNj 4:32 PM - 14 August, 2014
I was having the same issue I decided to redownload the firmware and reinstall on the sz looks looks like so far it solved my issue (hopefully)
hally_b18 9:08 AM - 18 August, 2014
In an attempt to fix this I updated my mac to v10.9.6, downloaded the latest SZ firmware and reinstalled again.

Unfortunately this hasn't resolved the platter issue.

*Patiently waiting*
hally_b18 10:43 AM - 18 August, 2014
sorry 10.9.4
DJ Krissi D 10:48 AM - 18 August, 2014
serato.com

The Link above is another Thread on the Issue I was asked to Create "as a Feature Suggestion" Jokes!

This issue has been reproduced by Serato on this Thread and is not Unit Specific as I own 4 now for Various Venues the Odds this is UNIT specific is wearing thin

Those that feel it is fine try this....

Load a Track any Deck

Play the track for a few secs or drop it in the middle of the track any where.

While the Track is paused spin the pitch bend (do not touch the top of the Platter to enable Scratch mode) by touching the side of the platter

You will find that it takes close to 4-8 full revolutions to nudge the track forward or back 1 beat.

Do the same Test if you can on a Normal CDJ using a DVS not through a DDJ SZ you will find you can nudge by 1 beat with Quarter turn

This sensitivity is what you get when live mixing which A does not match the Sales Statement on Both Serato and Pioneers Websites stating

"The Pioneer DDJ-SZ is the first Pioneer controller to closely match the experience of a CDJ-2000nexus and DJM-900nexus setup for the most intuitive DJ experience."

as a Scratch artist I Pitch tracks live in the mix as a don’t use headphones much as I switch tracks to quick so being unable to bend tracks like we can on any other DVS device is frustrating. Those that mix House or Similar wont care or be bothered by this issue as by comparison your mixes are infinitely long and you have the time to pitch it to the point you don’t need or rarely use the bend!

This is an issue and to mirror DVS control it needs to be resolved. This is a Feature that the feel should be the same across the board I like the idea of the customisation option but in the interest of getting this fixed within a year I just want continuity
djmarkdNj 12:57 PM - 18 August, 2014
Krissi D I had the same issue when I updated the firmware it's def a Firmware issue delete the old zip file and redownload the file from pioneer and reinstall it to the ddjsz it worked for me now my pitch bending is back to normal as to before had to spin it almost 8 times like you said
dj-freestyle 4:48 PM - 18 August, 2014
Ya mine is fine so its random. ibe done all the updates and had one of the first units sold in the u.s .
hally_b18 3:45 PM - 19 August, 2014
This didn't work for me :(

Quote:
Krissi D I had the same issue when I updated the firmware it's def a Firmware issue delete the old zip file and redownload the file from pioneer and reinstall it to the ddjsz it worked for me now my pitch bending is back to normal as to before had to spin it almost 8 times like you said
djmarkdNj 4:06 PM - 19 August, 2014
can you explain how you did it?

Quote:
This didn't work for me :(

Quote:
DJ Chuckie Chuck 8:55 PM - 19 August, 2014
Will try re-download the zip file and re-update the firmware in the moment.
Hope this will fix.

Quote:
Dommy B 9:31 PM - 26 August, 2014
I have the same issues, explained to Pioneer at DJ Expo this past week and he said he would get back to me.. 2 weeks later nothing, as I expected. This company has grown so much they cant keep up. I also used a SZ at the show and it worked fine. I am assuming there was a change with latest firmware. I had used the unit (on accident) with the older firmware out of the box, and the pitch was right on. I had issues with the cue/play button, and it was resolved by the new firmware but I lost the pitch bend. I'm gonna try to reload the latest version, and hope they fixed a bug in that same version.. fingers crossed.
Dommy B 9:44 PM - 26 August, 2014
just did it and nothing. I even had a new SZ sent to me as exchange from musicians friend, since pioneer said it was most likely a defect (taking the easy way out and accumulating good hardware in the junkyard by doing that). Latest versions all the way around.. Running MAC, and actually tried it on two different MAC books, one with 10.6.9 & the other with 10.8.5. So this controller is useless for me, especially when mixing on the fly and need some pitch wiggle room this is ridiculous a $2k door stop right now. Pioneer this is major, something needs to be done!!
hally_b18 1:32 PM - 27 August, 2014
can anyone post me the link to download an older firmware version?
dj-freestyle 2:44 PM - 27 August, 2014
wonder why most are fine and some are not. we have 4 at my company and all fine with latesr firmware. wonder what it causing it to be so random.
hally_b18 8:01 AM - 2 September, 2014
anyone checked with serato dj 1.7 yet?
hally_b18 9:08 PM - 2 September, 2014
serato 1.7 has fixed my platter issue :D

thank you guys!!!!
dj-freestyle 3:18 PM - 3 September, 2014
See its so random. very weird.
Dommy B 12:42 AM - 4 September, 2014
Quote:

thank you guys!!!!

Did you just come from the previous version?
DJ Chuckie Chuck 8:46 PM - 4 September, 2014
Same here.
1.7 fixed my pitch bend issue.

Quote:

thank you guys!!!!
Burny 5:24 PM - 9 October, 2015
This was not just an issue with the sz, the sx2 is also having thsee issues
Korenov 4:44 PM - 25 November, 2015
Having the same problem but to the opposite way , my Pitch Bend sensitivity is High.
I'm used to big movements when pitch bending , and this is just too sensitive.
I dont know is this thread is active or not, but i think me and the whole world will apperciate a Pitch Bend Sensitivity on the software, DDJ SX2 Has it , why DDJ SZ can't have it ?
Looking forward for a reply