Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Serato SL2 not detected by Serato DJ even after driver reinstall

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Rane SL2
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
reid.strange 4:31 AM - 22 May, 2014
Hi!

First off, I use the following gear:

Macbook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
4GB Ram
OSX 10.9.3
Rane SL2

I have been using Serato Scratch Live for several years now, but since serato DJ 1.6.2 included the SL2 in its supported hardware, I thought I'd give it a try. However, the program doesn't recognize my SL2.

When I open Serato DJ and connect the SL2 (or vice versa) I get the "no supported hardware detected" message in the "online" tab in Serato DJ, as opposed to the message asking me to update my firmware (I've looked at some forums and seen pictures of how it's supposed to open up)

I've tried reinstalling the SL2 drivers, and get the same result.

I've noticed that my SL2 doesn't look like the one on the serato web page. I'm not sure exactly what year it was made, because I bought it used about 4 years ago, but I'm wondering if maybe it's an older model that is just plain not compatible with Serato DJ. Is this a possibility?

(The weird thing is that even in OSX's system preferences, the SL2 driver can't detect my SL2, but Scratch Live works perfectly with it.)

Thanks!
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:22 PM - 22 May, 2014
Hey reid,

Try this:

Quit all programs completely.

1. Open your Macintosh HD drive.
2. Click on your HD icon.
3. Click on 'system'.
4. Click 'library'.
5. Click 'Extentions'.
6. Delete the 'SeratoScratchDriver.kext' and/or the SeratoScratchDriver.10.6 or 10.4.kext files.

7. Delete any other Rane hardware .kext files such as SL2.kext, SL3.kext, SL4.kext, Sixty-One.Kext, Sixty-Two.kext, and Sixty-Eight.kext.

Now re install SDJ and click the 'update driver' icon on the right of the screen.

Any luck?
7:10 PM, 22 May 2014
reid.strange attached a file: Screen Shot 2014-05-22 at 2.09.15 PM.png
View· Permalink
reid.strange 7:10 PM - 22 May, 2014
Hi Zach,

I deleted the .kext files and reinstalled SDJ. I'm Still Getting the same message. I've attached a screenshot.

Thanks!
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:17 PM - 22 May, 2014
Ok.. try uninstalling the .kext files again (if they are in there again) and then install the Rane driver here --> dj.rane.com
reid.strange 7:38 PM - 22 May, 2014
I made sure the .kext files were deleted, then intalled the SL driver from the like you posted, and then restarted my computer. I'm still getting the same message when I open SDJ.
reid.strange 3:51 PM - 27 May, 2014
I made sure the .kext files were deleted, then intalled the SL driver from the like you posted, and then restarted my computer. I'm still getting the same message when I open SDJ.
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:13 PM - 27 May, 2014
Is the SL2 seen if you open its preference pane via System preferences without SSL or SDJ open?
reid.strange 6:01 PM - 27 May, 2014
No. I tried opening the SL2 Preferences pane without any serato software running and it gives me the "SL 2 is not detected" message.
reid.strange 6:01 PM - 27 May, 2014
With the SL2 connected of course.
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:19 PM - 27 May, 2014
Hm... so if you open the Extensions folder via the instructions I gave you above do you see an SL2.kext file?

If so, please delete it (again) and try reinstalling the driver (again) via Rane's website link --> dj.rane.com
Once installed, restart the computer and then try opening up the SL2's preference pane.
reid.strange 8:27 PM - 27 May, 2014
I deleted the .kext file and reinstalled the driver, (I followed your previous instructions exactly).

The SL2 preferences pane still says "SL 2 is not detected"

After following all your instructions, and seeing that it wasn't detected I tried opening Scratch Live just to see if maybe it was a problem with the USB cable, but Scratch Live detected the SL2 right away, so that's not it.
Rane, Support
Zach S 9:31 PM - 27 May, 2014
Try running the uninstaller that comes in that download and then reinstall the driver.
reid.strange 10:04 PM - 27 May, 2014
I ran the uninstaller, reinstalled the driver, and tried checking the SL2 preferences pane again, and I still get the same "not detected" message.
Rane, Support
Zach S 10:18 PM - 27 May, 2014
hm.. ok.. hold tight. I'm gonna see if one of our engineers has any input.
reid.strange 8:11 PM - 28 May, 2014
Ok, Thank you. I'll keep checking back.
reid.strange 9:33 PM - 3 June, 2014
I just wanted to check back and see if you had any news.

Thanks!
Rane, Support
Zach S 9:36 PM - 3 June, 2014
Just to be clear.. when SSL is shut down the SL2's preference pane via system preferences still says the SL2 is not connected?
reid.strange 4:59 PM - 4 June, 2014
That's correct. I had no other applications open.
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:05 PM - 4 June, 2014
Try creating a new user, using the uninstaller to uninstall all the drivers again, and then reinstall the SL2 Core Audio driver directly from Rane's website again --> dj.rane.com
AlexRajkovic 2:54 PM - 27 October, 2014
Hi, same issue here. I've followed al;l the instructions on this page from top to bottom, and the best outcome i can now get with the SL2 Core Audio driver is that on fresh install, SDJ says SL2 detected, but driver not installed.

If I then install the driver recommended by SDJ, when i restart, SDJ no longer recognises my SL2..... bit of a head scratcher.

Slight difference to the above user, I'm upgraded to OS X Yosemite.
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:35 PM - 27 October, 2014
Hey Alex,

Yosemite is not yet supported.
Try installing the 1.7.2 beta (which does have Yosemite support) --> serato.com
&Midge 7:18 PM - 29 October, 2014
SL2 has big issues with drivers when using Windows7 and the new 1.7.2 beta

Switching between SSL and SDJ is impossible without a fresh install everytime. I'm not sure if it is the software or the new drivers.....
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:39 PM - 29 October, 2014
&Midge,

If you haven't already, please post this in the 1.7.2 beta section so Serato is aware of it.
&Midge 8:08 PM - 29 October, 2014
Hey Zach,

I have done this so Serato are aware of the issue, I wasn't sure if you guys at Rane are aware?

Beta testing without being able to switch between the two versions quickly is really hard, also I still only use SSL of LIVE sets at the moment so it's not ideal.

Cheers,
Midge
sidearms 4:50 PM - 22 November, 2014
downloading the beta version helps. I was having the same issue. Downloaded the beta and kept 1.7.1 as well. open the beta version it detected I needed the drivers. Downloaded them. Open 1.7.1 and the hardware was dected phew !!
DJ Nick Maszera 9:37 PM - 5 January, 2015
The Rane Serato SL2 only started supporting serato dj as of last year. My sl2 was one if the first to support it, and in closed in the box was a note telling me.
DJ Jimmy C 3:16 AM - 17 January, 2015
ok i have a serious issue right now. I just disconnected my SL2 from my turntables. I came back from a gig then plugged it back in. It does not read my tables now. It shows up on in Serato DJ but it does not recognize the turntables. The amber light on the SL2 Box is on. I have uninstalled and reinstalled SDJ 1.7.3 also downloaded new SL2 firmware. Have done everything I could to fix it but no luck. Does anyone have a solution?
&Midge 10:42 AM - 17 January, 2015
What type of USB port are you connecting to mate? is it a standard USB? or a combo port? Does SSL work? or is the issue just for SDJ?
DJ Jimmy C 2:53 PM - 17 January, 2015
combo port that i have always been using. i have never had a problem with it till now.
&Midge 4:43 PM - 17 January, 2015
I'm not able to check this with my SL2 right now (I will check this later) but i know I had issues using my eSata+USB port and Scratch Live.

Have you tried using a regular USB port? Does that sort the problem out?

Do you have the same problem when using Scratch Live? Or is the problem just with the latest version of SDJ 1.7.3?
DJ Jimmy C 11:35 PM - 17 January, 2015
1.7.3. SDJ and Live does does either one.
&Midge 8:15 AM - 18 January, 2015
I've just checked my SL2 in all ports and it's fine for me. I think opening a support ticket might be a plan mate. Sorry I cant be more help.
Nate Bono 11:41 AM - 10 February, 2015
wassup dJs out there?

Please help me out, Im using Serato 1.7.3 with SL 2 but now with the upgrade of MacBook OS X Yosemite it does t work anymore...

What should I do??

tks in advance
dj frank kutz 2:33 AM - 14 February, 2015
i have an SL3 inside a Rane TTM 56S and Serato DJ 1.7.3 is not working... at all ... then i close it all out... then i used scratch live version 2.5 and it worked great... now i'm using Serato DJ 1.7.2 and works great.... NOW WHAT HAPPEN AGAIN WITH YOUR UPDATE.. SUPPOSEDLY... I GUESS I'M BACK TO USING SCRATCH LIVE!!!
dj frank kutz 2:34 AM - 14 February, 2015
NO MAMES CABRONES
2:00 AM, 22 Apr 2015
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.