Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Jog wheels are not working correctly

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SR
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Spinolo 4:04 PM - 19 May, 2014
Hi,
The jog wheels on my pioneer ddj sr are not responding to anything on either decks while a track is playing and the vinyl on and off feature is backwards on the deck. If I press vinyl on either side it adjusts the tempo of the track instead of acting like a vinyl record and when vinyl is turned off it's completely unresponsive. When the track is paused and I want to use the jog wheels it takes one full rotation to go through one second of the song so to go through a track while paused to get specific cue points takes forever to get to without shift+turning the jog wheel. Is it a setting that I have to change on my hardware or software or is this not supposed to happen at all?
Serato, Support
Mak T 2:02 AM - 27 May, 2014
Hey Spinolo,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here at Serato HQ. Sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue. When was the last time you updated the Firmware for your Pioneer DDJ-SR?

Cheers

Mak T
Spinolo 6:15 PM - 4 June, 2014
Hi Mak T,

Thanks for responding! :) I don't think I have updated my firmware but I checked the version and it seems to be the right one.

Just to give you a little background of what's going on. I got the ddj sr on december 26th, it wasn't till February that I started having issues with the controller but the issues were cleared up after a while. But around April the jog wheels weren't working properly, as well as the ch fader on all decks didn't fade at all instead if its pushed up one bar it hits full volume. I know its a software issue because I used my computer on a friend's DDJ SX and it was giving me different issues and the same issues.

I tried installing the updated firmware on my mac however when I go through the steps listed by pioneer, (pioneerdj.com), it says “DDJ-SR_V107.jar” can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer" after I download and open the zipped file.

So what can I do to fix the problem on the software? I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but that didn't fix the issues. Is there a problem with the Mac itself?

(sorry about all the reading)

Cheers!
akakak 6:32 PM - 4 June, 2014
You need to adjust your security settings in system preferences to allow you to run the file
Spinolo 12:17 AM - 6 June, 2014
I adjusted the security settings and I'm able to run the file now.

When I run the file it only gives me an error saying "Your DDJ SR is not connected." but the usb is plugged in and the computer displays that its connected in preferences and I'm able to interact with serato dj when its plugged in.
akakak 7:02 AM - 6 June, 2014
You need to follow the instructions in the online manual to put your device into firmware flashing mode too
Spinolo 9:53 PM - 6 June, 2014
I installed the firmware into the ddj sr by pressing the shift and sync button and my volume issue has been cleared up so the ch fader on both decks are working!

But I'm still having a problem with the turn tables. Even when vinyl is on or off while the track is playing it only adjusts the tempo temporarily. So I'm not able to scratch while the tracks are playing. When a track is paused I'm able to manipulate the track regardless if vinyl is on or off and one full rotation goes through 0.5 seconds of the track so to scroll to a specific point takes a while without shift + turning the wheel to skip.
Spinolo 1:06 AM - 7 June, 2014
I used my laptop on my friend's DDJ SX and he is having the exact same problems now with his controller!!! Even when he plugs in his laptop the jog wheels are not working correctly!!
Davideon 5:42 AM - 7 June, 2014
Try different USB ports and a different USB cable. Don't use a hub
Spinolo 3:03 PM - 9 June, 2014
I tried that with his computer and my computer with both the SR and the SX and that didn't work. We used separately purchased usb cables that are supposed to be great but that didn't help either and we tried all our usb ports.
Serato, Support
Mak T 3:55 AM - 17 June, 2014
Hey Spninolo,

Just to confirm with you, you have tried your unit with another computer and the issue is still persistent? If you haven't, could you please try that.

- Are you sure the issue with your friends DDJ-SX is the same? Does this issue occur when this DDJ-SX is plugged into your friends computer?

- Have you checked whether this issue is persistent in the Serato DJ 1.6.3 update?

Cheers

Mak T
Spinolo 1:08 PM - 20 June, 2014
Hey Mak T,

I did all of the following that you have just explained with both a Macbook and Windows laptop both with the same problems. We've been spending days figuring this out, we found this video on youtube that was exactly what we are dealing with for both decks.

Watchwww.youtube.com

The issue is a grounding problem. The DDJ SX works now! However, the DDJ SR is still not working and the DDJ SR does not have a grounding screw on the back of it.
Serato, Support
Mak T 4:11 AM - 24 June, 2014
Hey Spinolo,

- Have you also checked the Touch Sensitivity sections on your DDJ-SX?

- How did the firmware update go? Did you manage to successfully install it?

This is sounding more and more of a hardware related issue - have you considered contacting the guys at Pioneer for more insight?

Cheers

Mak T
Donic 9:33 PM - 27 September, 2014
Wow I just got my SR and is doing the same thing, if I put my left hand on the laptop and with my right hand the Jog wheel will scratch this is crazy. Any solution yet?
dj-freestyle 5:35 PM - 29 September, 2014
Usually its a grounding issue causes that not s a serato thing. move the sr and use a different outlet and make sure its grounded right.
dj-freestyle 5:36 PM - 29 September, 2014
These platters are touch sensative and grounding effects that greatly.
Tropez 11:25 PM - 29 September, 2014
This exact same thing is happening to me right now on my DDJ-SX.
Tropez 11:32 PM - 29 September, 2014
Wow, and just like the video, If i touch my other (non-scratching) hand to the chassis, the scratching works. If I hold shift while using the platter it also works. Very strange.
Donic 1:43 AM - 30 September, 2014
Dear: dj-freestyle

I have try everything that I know about grounding and circuit. I have check three outlets with my DMM and they are all good to go, I even tested my outlets with a Klein outlet tester. I have try another laptop and the same thing not scratching, the funny thing is that if I use it with out the outlet it will scratch this is nuts, I feel like is the unit. Tropez try scratching your unit with out the outlet plug in, take everything out do not leave anything plug in the laptop as far as power supply, because I try to leave the power supply plug with out being plug into the outlet and it did not work so I think the outlet is not the problem is the unit, but then again I am in the same boat as you.
dj-freestyle 6:17 PM - 30 September, 2014
Ya must be a bad unit. contact pioneer for sure. they will help you out.
Donic 7:48 PM - 30 September, 2014
Well, Mr. dj-freestyle. I believe that the place where I got it go a bad batch - because I exchange the first one that was having the same condition.. Also before returning the first one I have spoken to the Pioneer Technician and I explain everything that I have done and he told me to return the unit since I just bought it. This is so frustrating. I am going to see if I could go to a local DJ store that is around the corner and test my equipment their just to verify.

Thank you much for your reply.

Tropez, did you gave it a shot on your equipment?
Tropez 7:58 PM - 30 September, 2014
I've tried two different wall outlets, same results.
I tried going right into the wall outlet, skipping my power strip, same results.
The DC adapter for the DDJ-SX is 2-pin anyways (no round ground plug) so I don't see why this even matters.
I opened a ticket with Serato about this.
Donic 8:08 PM - 30 September, 2014
Tropez I know that in your unit you have a ground screw on the top by the middle where you hook up the speakers. Try grounding it to the little screw in the middle of the outlet and see if that works for you.
Dj Clevert CR. 6:00 AM - 1 October, 2014
hi guys,sorry about my english,Im from Costa Rica,i speak spanish.
Reading the comments,because i have the same problem with my DDJ SR,i tried differents usb cables,i try everything too with no results,my right jogwheel works like pitch bend and no scratching ,only if i touch the SR,but i will tell you something funny,thats problem beging after i installed the serato dj 1.7.
Now i unistalled,come back to 1.6.4 but the problem keeps in my DR.
I tried several ways,a powered Hub,different cables etc,what i believe is theres a problem inside the SR,not with the software.
Donic 11:01 AM - 1 October, 2014
Well, I decided to do another testing. I went to a local DJ store not to far from where a live, I took the unit and the unit work perfectly with their laptop and my laptop, plugged in and unplugged.

I have check my ground with my DMM, when I go from hot to neutral I get around 119volt when I go from hot to ground I still get my 119volt so to me this is good to go. Now I have to be a little more technical and so I was searching online and I found out that if you check your home grounding with a clamp meter you want to see 25ohms or less for grounding integrity.
dj-freestyle 3:08 PM - 1 October, 2014
I figured it was a grouding issue. always seems to be that. glad you figured it out. With touch sensative platters grounding is a big deal and usually is the cause.
Tropez 4:17 PM - 2 October, 2014
Update:

Mine is installed in a Flight Case, so it's surrounded by padding.
I'm usually using it while standing on a carpeted floor.
I tried connecting a grounding wire from the nut on the back of the unit to the flight case in multiple locations, did not help.
Scratching works two-handed if I keep one hand on the metal parts of the unit and scratch with the other hand.
Scratching stops working if I take my spare hand off the chassis.
Scratching works two-handed if I touch one hand to the chassis of my laptop (metal hinge on Lenovo) and scratch with the other.
Scratching stops working if I take my spare hand off the metal hinge.
Stratching does not work if I make a connection (with a wire) from the grounding knob on the DDJ-SX over to the hinge on the laptop.

Could it be that my body needs grounding not the DDJ-SX? Seems very odd and very frustrating to work around.
dj-freestyle 5:05 PM - 2 October, 2014
Have you changed the power cord out. maybe the ground on the cord isnt working. you you tried moving it to other places outside the house. different venues?
Tropez 7:35 PM - 2 October, 2014
There is only one AC adapter that came with the DDJ-SX, not sure how to swap that out. I did try using two different surge suppressors and had the same issue with regardless.
dj-freestyle 3:21 PM - 3 October, 2014
Have you tried outlets not in your house ?
haze324 10:54 PM - 4 October, 2014
how do you better ground an SR with no power supply?

This just started happening to my SR, never had an issue with it.
Tropez 12:19 AM - 10 October, 2014
I returned the DDJ-SX, tired of fighting the issue.
ADZ_ 10:32 PM - 14 October, 2014
Hi! The exact same thing is happening with my SR, weirdly since I updated to 1.7 having never had an issue with the SR before. I was beginning to think it was a hardware issue as I've tried reverting to 1.6 but no change.

To clarify, the right jog wheel does not scratch, but will pitch bend & skip through the track via "shift".

Amy help with this is much appreciated!
haze324 4:59 PM - 21 October, 2014
I changed by latency/buffer settings and it was fixed.

Oddly enough when using the DDJ-SR I put as low as possible for the jogs to work, BUT when using timecode CD's or 1200's I had to bump it up to 10.
Gorian 4:33 PM - 7 November, 2014
I had the same problem.
Turnes out I'd activated "Vinyl"-mode (SHIFT + SLIP). Now that I've deactivated it, it works fine again. :)

Just an advice!
EdwardTheBrand 5:51 PM - 11 November, 2014
Anyone figure this out with the DDJ-SR? Just started happening for me today...also the performance pads seem not to work, Pitch control too AND i get no audio. Pretty much all buttons (play, autoloop, FX on, load deck etc) work though.
Yobo4 6:21 PM - 14 November, 2014
Same issue-jog wheel worked if my hand is touching the unit or Mac, but jog itself no response or very little. Only happened several times so far. Works a majority of the time. Today works fine. Never gigged with it for that reason.
Tatetastic 5:19 PM - 22 November, 2014
Here's what I've figured out so far.

Last night for the first time I experienced both jog wheels completely unresponsive to the vinyl touch unless I had my opposing hand on my macbook case or i was touching the space directly to the right of the jog wheel beneath the tempo range button. I output through the RCA to a Alto ZMX 862 mixing board. I finally discovered that when the RCA was not actully connected to the mixer to complete the audio path, the jog wheels were responsive. However as soon as I plug the RCA's into the mixer the wheels experience grounding issues. In order to see if the problem was my mixer I then directly plugged through the 1/4" output directly to my berringer powered speaker and experienced the exact same problem, not responsive when actually plugged in. Next I will see if setting up back at home on a completely different power circuit where I have successfully used this exact setup in the past continues to experience the problem. Hope this helps!
Yobo4 10:48 PM - 22 November, 2014
Interesting. This issue only occurred a few times on my unit, so I can't predict when it happens to test this out, but I'll use a mixer board if I gig with it. Thanks for the info!!
nikifospav 8:45 AM - 15 December, 2014
i have encountered the same problems with my ddj-sr it's stops respond the left platter normally (it works but it is very slow and irresponsible)... from what i have read above the problem with ddj sx was the grounding... so far so good!

but the problem with dd-sr is unsolved, if this thing is software or hardware problem!

one thing i noticed is that not doing this always and the last time it happened after a hit the platter gently with my palm several times it somehow fixed and didn't do it again as long as my gig lasted....

so i suggest to focus to ddj-sr platter problem since the ddj-sx seems to be grounding problem.

does anyone else manage to find a solution for ddj-sr?

sorry for my English!

other than that no problem with my controller and serato 1.7.1
EdwardTheBrand 5:06 PM - 15 December, 2014
I had the problem with my DDJ-SR...including the performance pads and pitch not working (and no audio)

I didnt touch it for about a month and tried again and it was fine as if nothing happened! This is without any RCA cables connected. (headphones worked). Its been working well for about 2 weeks.

THEN....

I just saw Tatetastic's response above about the RCA cables...
So as I was typing this, I turned it on with RCA connected to see what will happen.... and, of course, back to bad platter control, no buttons working and no audio!

However now when I restart the device without RCA's in...its still not working, so maybe I'll have to store it for a month untouched again?!?! who knows.

Either way, somehow I think the RCA cables are causing the issue?
The fact that it worked after having it unplugged for a few weeks and it worked makes me think somehow there is a charge that 'drains out' over time....sounds kinda silly but I dont know what else to think.

I guess when it gets working again, I'll try and see what happens when I plug some 1/4" cables in there.

This really isn't acceptable though.

Take note that the first 3 months that I owned the DDJ-SR I had absolutely no problems.... even played with it live for hours (with RCA)
Donic 6:18 AM - 24 December, 2014
Okay guys I thought I had my unit figure out before but it was a lie. After doing some research I figure out the problem that I was having with my DDJ SR... At first I thought it was a unit issue so I return it and got a second one, then I thought it was a grounding issue with my second unit, you know like when you put your hand on the laptop and then your other hand on the jog wheel so that you could scratch, yes it has to do with grounding, but in a different way. But always check your home grounding.

Your unit is not completing the ground, you are when you touch your laptop and the jog wheel at the same time, the problem in my case had to do with my speaker. You see after I was reading my speakers specs, my Peavey require BALANCE Cables, before I was using RCA outputs which are unbalance. This will cause problems later on. I am not going to get into detail but just check your speakers spec, the best in my opinion is to use TRS Balance cable, this solve my headaches that I had for months and also adjust the sensitivity of the jog wheels.

If any question I will try my best to help... Later and good luck.
Yobo4 6:35 AM - 24 December, 2014
I am currently using an XLR adapter: controller-to-speaker. So far no issues at home the few times I have used it, but I have not tested it out with the 1/4" again yet.

Also, I ran into the jog wheel issue at home with the unit only plugged into the laptop. The laptop was not plugged into a power source either. I will need to test the cable in the areas where I had this issue and see if it works.
Donic 7:50 AM - 24 December, 2014
Give it a try Yobo4....
Quote:
I am currently using an XLR adapter: controller-to-speaker. So far no issues at home the few times I have used it, but I have not tested it out with the 1/4" again yet.

Also, I ran into the jog wheel issue at home with the unit only plugged into the laptop. The laptop was not plugged into a power source either. I will need to test the cable in the areas where I had this issue and see if it works.

Give it a try Yobo4....
Jim S 5:48 PM - 17 January, 2015
I have a DDJ SX, since moving to Win 8.1 iv had nothing but problems with it.
It has lost audio on one deck completely during a set and had to be restarted to make it come back.

But now the left deck has lost vinyl mode all together! I have tried all of the above to no avail. right deck works fine and as it should but the left seems stuck in cd mode!!

Please help. so frustrating to pay this much for hardware and it have problems like this!!
Davideon 6:00 PM - 17 January, 2015
Quote:
It has lost audio on one deck completely during a set and had to be restarted to make it come back.

But now the left deck has lost vinyl mode all together! I have tried all of the above to no avail. right deck works fine and as it should but the left seems stuck in cd mode!!

Please help. so frustrating to pay this much for hardware and it have problems like this!!

check the forums. I must've seen this issue posted 50 times.
Jim S 8:05 PM - 17 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I have searched and googled before posting and still haven't found a solution, Instead of pointless answers like above how about lend a hand and maybe link to a solution.
Davideon 8:30 PM - 17 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have searched and googled before posting and still haven't found a solution, Instead of pointless answers like above how about lend a hand and maybe link to a solution.

shall I spoon feed you as well?

Try searching again. Try reading the support articles. Trust me it's been posted countless times.

I just Google ddj sx jog wheel problem and lo and behold, up came countless pages covering your issue.

Maybe you need help in how to search a forum and use Google?
Jim S 10:44 AM - 18 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

shall I spoon feed you as well?

Try searching again. Try reading the support articles. Trust me it's been posted countless times.

I just Google ddj sx jog wheel problem and lo and behold, up came countless pages covering your issue.

Maybe you need help in how to search a forum and use Google?

Dear Troll,

Thanks for your help in this matter you have brought joy to my life.

I too have searched Google with the above search string and yes your observations are so correct there are countless pages. unfortunately they all discuss the problem but non have a solution that work for me.

So since the last change I have made was to load Serato onto a new PC I though I would (rarther than start another countless post) post my problem here on the hope that one of the ever so helpful forum users may point me in the right direction.

But no you are right instead of asking for help in the right place I should waste more of my life looking round for more helpful dribble by people like you!
Davideon 12:54 PM - 18 January, 2015
Dear idiot. You really are a lost cause.

" since moving to windows 8.1...."

What does that tell you?

There are a number of things to try to solve the issue. Have you tried them all? If you explain how you have tried to help yourself it would be easier to suggest what else to try.

I had the exact same issue. I'd even boxed it up to be sent off and fixed. But then I tried something else which I saw mentioned on these forums back in 2012 and fixed it.
andym 2:54 AM - 27 January, 2015
Hey. I recently got a pioneer ddj sx.

It seemed to work perfectly at first but i recently began having problems..

The left deck of the pioneer isn't working as it should.
The vinyl isn't responding correctly, i can't scratch or anything like that, all it does is adjust the tracks tempo.
Everything thing else seems to work fine, but would really like to get the left deck fixed since i can't use it with the way it works.
I also recently updated my software and it only worked for one day and the next day i began having the same problem with the left vinyl.
Would really like to have this fixed.
This issue really sucks

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Spyder22 2:22 AM - 13 February, 2015
I am also experiencing the same problem as described by andym, the program crashed on me in the middle of a gig. I was not able to view the crash log because i needed to restart it. Now my left deck on my Pioneer DDJ-SX2 does not scratch once i press play, it will only adjust the tempo (but it will still scratch if it's cue'd up).

I have already updated the latest firmware on the SX2 and have updated to the latest upgrade on Serato DJ. I have also installed Yosemite OS as well just to make sure everything was up to date. Is their anything else i must do to resolve the problem?

Help would greatly be appreciated!
Yobo4 6:48 AM - 13 February, 2015
In regards to SR controller, finished a 4 hour gig using TRS-to-XLR adapter from mixer to PA. No lag. Also, had Shure wireless mic setup. Perhaps anyone with the lag issue can trying buying an adapter to test it out.
undisputed deejay efe 6:26 AM - 3 March, 2015
Good morning, pls help me my reloop beatmix 4 right jug wheel stop track and at times it play , any help on it
6:30 AM, 3 Mar 2015
undisputed deejay efe attached a file: reloop-beatmix-4-inkl-serato-dj.jpg
View· Permalink
Happy N Sensual 6:54 PM - 3 March, 2015
Quote:
I am also experiencing the same problem as described by andym, the program crashed on me in the middle of a gig. I was not able to view the crash log because i needed to restart it. Now my left deck on my Pioneer DDJ-SX2 does not scratch once i press play, it will only adjust the tempo (but it will still scratch if it's cue'd up).

I have already updated the latest firmware on the SX2 and have updated to the latest upgrade on Serato DJ. I have also installed Yosemite OS as well just to make sure everything was up to date. Is their anything else i must do to resolve the problem?

Help would greatly be appreciated!

Hey Pioneer DJs, have also exactly the same problem like spyder22, the
only difference is i use win7 64bit.

I hope there will be help too ! Greetz HnS
undisputed deejay efe 10:01 PM - 3 March, 2015
Pls av not got the information I needed . Pls put me tru pls. I av reloop beatmix4 and the right jog wheel at times play and pause and it can play later and it wouldn t stop
Serato, Support
Ian W 3:01 AM - 6 March, 2015
Hey guys,

If any of you are still having issues with your gear can you please open up a help ticket here and the support team will be able to help you out here:

support.serato.com

Regards,

Ian
crisla74 11:35 AM - 6 March, 2015
hi my cue pre listener does not automatically change when a topic is more responsible when office in deck 1 and deck 2 2 cues left with the red light may fail? thx
akakak 11:58 PM - 6 March, 2015
Quote:
hi my cue pre listener does not automatically change when a topic is more responsible when office in deck 1 and deck 2 2 cues left with the red light may fail? thx

…what?
crisla74 2:58 AM - 7 March, 2015
hi sorry is a google traductor my problem is that when loading a song on deck 1 and deck 2 after the light (cue) pre listens to headphones are working and the two sounds are mixed when it should be automatic and just be the light of the last song Greetings cristian
Davideon 8:14 AM - 7 March, 2015
If i understand what you're saying you think the cue should change automatically after you have mixed a song ?
dj-freestyle 3:36 PM - 11 March, 2015
Ok im lost. anybody else from above :)
Mix Master Mcgregor 4:40 PM - 14 March, 2015
Quote:
the program crashed on me in the middle of a gig. I was not able to view the crash log because i needed to restart it.

Would be good if it was possible to play on even with a crash, and output directly to the log the error instead of crashing the program, seen some software do this before.
EdwardTheBrand 12:45 AM - 4 April, 2015
I think this thread is now a few completely different problems merged into one. This makes it a little different for somebody to track the discussion about their specific issue.

In reference to the unresponsive DDJ-SR issue some people mentioned above. I ended up having to send mine in under warranty. I am lucky enough to live a few minutes away from where the actual repair took place so I was able to talk to the technician for a decent amount of time. Unfortunately he couldn't even pin point the issue. He thought he had fixed it and called me in to pick it up, when I went to the shop we tested it and of course it failed again.

He ended up ordering a replacement main board for it which took about 2-3 weeks to come in. I haven't had a chance to turn it on and play with it yet but I assume it works fine. I figured I'd post an update for anyone who ran into a similar issue as mine.
skye_teK 4:20 AM - 11 April, 2015
Hey for anyone still having the problem with their jog wheel, it's actually very simple to fix.

There is a button located slightly above both jog wheels that says SLIP and VINYL. Just hold the shift button on the deck that isn't working properly and press the SLIP/VINYL button. That should fix your problem. They are options that can be toggled.

The controller usually comes set on VINYL but can sometimes get toggled when trying to experiment! Hope this works for you all, cheers!
Davideon 8:25 AM - 11 April, 2015
Quote:
Hey for anyone still having the problem with their jog wheel, it's actually very simple to fix.

There is a button located slightly above both jog wheels that says SLIP and VINYL. Just hold the shift button on the deck that isn't working properly and press the SLIP/VINYL button. That should fix your problem. They are options that can be toggled.

The controller usually comes set on VINYL but can sometimes get toggled when trying to experiment! Hope this works for you all, cheers!

That's not the problem
Donic 6:37 PM - 22 April, 2015
I have not try this yet, but I herd that you could trying getting a ground loop isolator and
perhaps this might work.
2:00 AM, 7 May 2015
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.