Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Can't control pad fx in serato DJ

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Vestax VCI-380
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
DBDJ 8:21 AM - 12 May, 2014
When the VCI-380 came out it shipped with ITCH. Serato DJ came out shortly after and I decided to use it instead. I love the layout of 1.5 (wav graphic under the song title) and I don't have to worry about hitting cues buttons by accident when I'm typing something on the laptop. The newest release does away with this for some reason and that makes it very difficult to enter certain types of information: an example would be a song/artist name that has numbers in the title.

I know I could use the knob and bottons on the controller or the pad/controll keys to do this but I find my workflow isn't as fast when I use those. I have an optical mouse connected so even in the most cramped booths I can still get the job done.

Here's my problem: I think the mapping has changed for using pad fx in Serato DJ. When I try to use it the knob lights up but the pads don't go into fx mode.

I tried calling Vestax here and they didn't seem to have any information on what the new settings are. Does the tech team have any info on this?
Serato, Support
Sam GG 11:44 PM - 14 May, 2014
Hey DBDJ,

I'm a little confused about what you mean. Are you able to send me a screen shot pointing out the issue?

Are you having trouble using the search function in the software or changing the views? If so what part of these processes do you find to be an issue?

Quote:
Here's my problem: I think the mapping has changed for using pad fx in Serato DJ. When I try to use it the knob lights up but the pads don't go into fx mode.

Is this a separate issue? Or is this related to first problems with the searching.

Sam
DBDJ 5:02 AM - 11 June, 2014
Hopefully this is a better explanation:

When I press the pad fx knob to enable using the pads to control the amount of effect applied, the controller stays in Hot Cue mode. I can't get the controller to go into Pad FX mode. The ring around the pad fx knob lights up but it doesn't go into Pad FX mode.

I'm using version 1.5.0. I use this version because I like the layout and unlike every other version after this I don't have worry about triggering a shortcut/cuepoint when I'm typing on the keyboard.

I tried installing Serato DJ 1.6.3 and still couldn't get pad FX mode to work.
DBDJ 5:36 AM - 11 June, 2014
Hmmm, I just hooked it up to give it a thorough once over and it appears that I can't access quite a few functions. Double pressing the Hot Cue button should put the pads in SP6 mode and it doesn't. I'll have to take it in tomorrow to get it looked at.
Serato, Support
Sam GG 3:12 AM - 12 June, 2014
Quote:
I'm using version 1.5.0. I use this version because I like the layout and unlike every other version after this I don't have worry about triggering a shortcut/cuepoint when I'm typing on the keyboard.

This is not a very good idea. 1.5.0 was quite an unstable release, hence we released 1.5.1 quickly afterwards to fix a couple issues. I would recommend sticking to the latest version or at least 1.5.2. The option you are referring to regarding triggering cues etc can be adjusted under setup. Make sure "Playback Keys Use Shift" is ticked.

Quote:
Hmmm, I just hooked it up to give it a thorough once over and it appears that I can't access quite a few functions. Double pressing the Hot Cue button should put the pads in SP6 mode and it doesn't. I'll have to take it in tomorrow to get it looked at.

Thats is a good idea. Let me know how you go with this,

Sam
Pete Input 9:39 PM - 12 June, 2014
Push the PAD FX-buttons ON from the upper corners and the red light comes on. Then push the pads. More push = more FX. (Use multi-FX and the second FX-slot)

SHIFT + HOT CUE mode = SP6.
DBDJ 12:11 AM - 1 July, 2014
Thanks for all the advice.

It's nice to know I can use the laptop keyboard without having
to worry about triggering hot cues etc.
I'm waiting for the vci-380 to come back from repair to see
if the PAD FX are back in action.

In the meantime I installed Serato DJ 1.6.3 and noticed my
spare vci-300mkII didn't take anywhere near as long to boot in as
it used to with 1.5.0. so that's a plus.

I'll update this once I get the vci-380 back.
DBDJ 4:54 AM - 10 July, 2014
Ok, I got back my VCI-380 and here's what's happening.

I press the PAD-FX button ON and the red light comes on.
I then got to press one of the 8 pads to trigger the effect.
Unfortunately HOT CUE mode is still enabled so as I'm pressing the
pads I'm also setting CUE POINTS. The good news is that the effects work.

It's strange because the first time I used the VCI-380 with ITCH it automatically
disabled HOT CUE mode so that you could just use the PAD FX without
worrying about triggering a HOT CUE.

Now neither ITCH nor Serato DJ disables HOT CUE when you turn on PAD FX.
This was why I didn't think PAD FX was working intitially.

What can I do to fix this?
Pete Input 10:26 AM - 4 August, 2014
Push the "ROLL" twice and use PAD number 2.
sudo 3:11 PM - 21 August, 2014
Thanks for that Pete, very helpful. Now is there a way to reassign the channels for the effects using the DJ mapping? I want to chain a 1/2 D delay to a HPF, but that means having the delay on single-effect mode since you still can't get dotted beats in multi-fx mode.
DBDJ 8:15 PM - 22 August, 2014
Thanks for the help Pete but that doesn't produce any results for me.
As a matter of fact as soon as I press the PAD FX knob and look in the
FX window I see that pressing the FX Pad knob only turns on "reverse"
in my effects section. I'm beginning to think this particular function is a
lost cause for my controller.

When it rains.....
Today I had to do a DJ mix for a podcast only to realize
the cue/master headphone mix is now only doing master.
I'll email support and see if there's some fix other than
someone stating the obvious and telling me to try re-installing
Serato DJ.
DBDJ 9:43 PM - 22 August, 2014
I've been eyeing the Pioneer DDJ-SR.
Seems like everything is mapped natively for Serato DJ.
DjTia 12:00 AM - 13 July, 2015
hey DBDJ, I know what you mean... I didnt know it suppose to disable the hotcue when you press Pad Fx in order to use it properly: THE REAL WAY, because I recently got the vci380. While playing with it and trying to figure out how the pad fx work, I had to trigger Roll, then press Pad Fx so it turns red and then I activate the effets on the last performance pad which is the longer roll. Its the only way I know to make it work. If I stayed on Hotcue and press Pad Fx, it will put a new cue.
DjTia 12:03 AM - 13 July, 2015
Disabling Hot Cue when the Pad Fx is On make more sense and more effective.
viper9711 9:47 PM - 9 October, 2015
+1
Pete Input 11:49 AM - 16 October, 2015
Hey guys, with 1.8 beta, i mapped touchstrip to use wet/dry. Works with HOTCUE mode....
Awesome!
:D
Pete Input 11:58 AM - 16 October, 2015
I also mapped BACK and FWD buttons to activate the third FX ON/OFF.
(Still have to manually adjust dry/wet, but i put the ECHO OUT FX on them, so it needs to be adjusted only at the beginning.)

And... my P2 knobs now opens FX and SP6 panels with pushing them.

DjTia 5:15 PM - 16 October, 2015
good to know! thank pete input, will try to map
DjTia 1:56 AM - 24 October, 2015
Quote:
I also mapped BACK and FWD buttons to activate the third FX ON/OFF.
(Still have to manually adjust dry/wet, but i put the ECHO OUT FX on them, so it needs to be adjusted only at the beginning.)

And... my P2 knobs now opens FX and SP6 panels with pushing them.

Pete Input What Serato DJ version we can map midi?
DjTia 2:20 AM - 24 October, 2015
nevermind lol.
DjTia 3:23 AM - 3 November, 2015
Ok! I just turn on the Midi and seri it up like Pete Input said. I can say it is awesome to be able to midi map everything!!! Reminds me of my setup I used to have on my TTM57sl with the joystick!!!
Pete Input 8:47 AM - 3 November, 2015
Great to hear. :)
DBDJ 11:09 PM - 29 November, 2015
Hey thanks for all the great input.
I'll definitely have to use the midi
mapping to get the pad effects to work.
That's a great idea for controlling the fx.