Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Deck Two Only Showing as THRU When Using 1.6.2 & Rane Sixty Eight

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Rane Sixty-Eight
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Shorty 4:22 PM - 10 May, 2014
I recently upgraded to Serato DJ 1.6.2 to use with my Rane Sixty-Eight mixer from Scratch Live and have been unable to get the second deck to work. I ran the firmware update so Serato DJ is recognizing the mixer; however, It only shows the second deck as THRU and won't work with my right turntable. I've searched online for an answer and have been unsuccessful. In the meantime I've been using Scratch Live but I know eventually I will need to be using Serato DJ. Any help is appreciated,

Thanks,
Seth
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:16 PM - 13 May, 2014
Quote:
I ran the firmware update so Serato DJ is recognizing the mixer; however, It only shows the second deck as THRU and won't work with my right turntable.

Decks 1 and 2 will output out of channels 3 and 4 on your mixer. You can't choose what output you want to use for a deck like you can in SSL.
So.. put the channel 2 source knob (on the 68) on USB 2 and channel 3 on USB 3.
Shorty 7:37 PM - 13 May, 2014
It's not a problem of selecting the correct channel on the mixer, though. I can't get the right channel in Serato DJ to work as anything other than a Thru. Does that make sense? I can load files on the left channel and run it through my turntables/mixer but can't get the right side to do anything.
Rane, Support
Zach S 9:30 PM - 13 May, 2014
Do you have two computers plugged in?
If so, unplug one. Then make sure all channels are set to a USB channel.
Shorty 9:41 PM - 13 May, 2014
No just using one computer and only running two decks -- not four. Haven't been able to get this to work at all.
Shorty 5:31 PM - 16 May, 2014
So no one can help me on this??
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:38 PM - 16 May, 2014
Try going into the Sixty-Eight's preference pane via System Preferences.
Click on PGM Inputs 1-4 tab in the upper left corner.
Make sure all the USB record channels are set to ph/CD (not to post).
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:39 PM - 16 May, 2014
If you click on the ABS/REL drop down can you not select either ABS or REL?
Shorty 4:03 PM - 17 May, 2014
I'll check on both of those today and then post back.

Thanks,
Seth
11:38 PM, 17 May 2014
Shorty attached a file: image.jpg
View· Permalink
Shorty 11:38 PM - 17 May, 2014
Confirmed that nothing is set to Post in System Preferences and I can select ABS and REL in the drop down but it still only shows as THRU.
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:39 PM - 19 May, 2014
Is this the same regardless of the USB port you are plugging into on the back of the mixer?
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:15 PM - 21 May, 2014
If you're still having this issue I would suggest trying to uninstall the driver and reinstall.

Quit all programs completely.

1. Open your Macintosh HD drive.
2. Click on your HD icon.
3. Click on 'system'.
4. Click 'library'.
5. Click 'Extentions'.
6. Delete the 'SeratoScratchDriver.kext' and/or the SeratoScratchDriver.10.6 or 10.4.kext files.

7. Delete any other Rane hardware .kext files such as SL2.kext, SL3.kext, SL4.kext, Sixty-One.Kext, Sixty-Two.kext, and Sixty-Eight.kext.

Now re install SDJ and update the driver again once the program is open.
Shorty 4:53 PM - 21 May, 2014
Okay thanks I'll check back ASAP.

Haven't tried the different USB ports on the mixer so I can do that too. Almost seems like Serato DJ isn't worth it if it's not going to work. Something like 10 years with SL and never an issue like this.

I'll report back.
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:52 PM - 21 May, 2014
You are the only person we've seen with this issue. I'm not sure what is happening but hopefully a reinstall of the driver/program will work.
Shorty 10:40 PM - 24 May, 2014
Neither of those worked. Tried switching to the USB "A" port and also followed the steps to delete extension files and neither worked. Maybe no one else is having this problem (or at least not reporting it), but what am I supposed to do now that Serato is no longer working with Scratch Live and that's the only thing that works for me?
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:46 PM - 27 May, 2014
Ok.. at this point I think you should try using your Sixty-Eight on a different computer.
That will at least rule in/out an issue with the mixer or software/computer.
Shorty 6:52 PM - 27 May, 2014
I don't have another computer to use at the moment. This is crazy, to be honest. No one knows what's going on? I'm running Serato DJ on a $2600 MacBook Pro and I have no other similar issues with other software so there's no reason this should be happening.
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:03 PM - 27 May, 2014
Try creating a new user on your computer and install SDJ on that user.
Shorty 7:04 PM - 27 May, 2014
Okay I'll give that a shot later today and post back.
Shorty 7:09 PM - 27 May, 2014
Created new user but SDJ already showing in Applications folder. Saving a new, separate 1.6.3 version and I'll try using that at my gig tonight. Stay tuned.
Shorty 3:46 PM - 6 June, 2014
Hopefully I can get the mixer working tonight if I can use this new user and install driver update for 68. Will post back asap.
Shorty 10:41 PM - 6 June, 2014
When I try to use Serato DJ on a separate username, it already has Serato DJ installed with the updated driver for 68. As I mentioned, I re-downloaded SDJ for the new username, but it didn't prompt me to install the driver with the 68 and is still showing the 2nd deck as THRU.

What are my other options? At some point, Scratch Live will not longer be viable and so far, I haven't been able to use SDJ with my 68.
Rane, Support
Zach S 9:31 PM - 9 June, 2014
Ok... checked with one of our lead engineers. No one has seen this.
Are you positive you have the second and third channels on the mixer set to USB A and that you're plugged into A?
Shorty 9:43 PM - 9 June, 2014
I've been using the mixer without any trouble with Scratch Live so I imagine it's not something set on the mixer. I only have this problem with Serato DJ. I'm sorry that no one has heard of this problem, but I'm having it with your product. What am I supposed to do? Switch to Traktor? I mean seriously, the mixer alone cost me $2700 not to mention the different SL boxes I've purchased over the years and most recently the warped control records I bought directly from the Serato web store which I can't use. All of that will be rendered useless because you're dropping the only program that seems to work.
Shorty 2:02 PM - 27 June, 2014
Nice like 3 weeks without any response. Thanks Serato!!
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:00 PM - 27 June, 2014
Quote:
It's not a problem of selecting the correct channel on the mixer, though. I can't get the right channel in Serato DJ to work as anything other than a Thru.

Are you positive channel 3 on your mixer is set to USB 3 and not something else?
Shorty 4:26 PM - 22 August, 2014
Sorry for the hiatus.

Channels one and two on the mixer are being used with Scratch Live/DJ. I'm sure I'm not using the proper terminology. Let me know exactly what you want me to check/do and I'll take a look. Finally confirmed that I'm having the same problem with DJ on my back-up laptop so it has to be something with the mixer but it seems like we've troubleshooted everything already.

Please let me know what it is exactly you want me to try/do/check.
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:55 PM - 22 August, 2014
Quote:
Channels one and two on the mixer are being used with Scratch Live/DJ.

As I said in one of my original posts... Serato DJ acts differently than SSL in that Decks 1/2 output out of channel 2/3 on the mixer.

So... look at channel 3 on your mixer. Where is the source knob is set?
Shorty 5:16 PM - 22 August, 2014
Yes, you're right and I'm a total idiot. Not sure why I missed that the first time you posted it. Perhaps I didn't read through it correctly. It's working. I'll close the discussion.
Shorty 2:08 PM - 23 August, 2014
Related problem now with 68 and DJ and not sure where to turn on the forum. I mostly use the EFX in the mixer rather than the SL/DJ efx. Now when using DJ with my 68, the internal efx aren't working because the bpm counter isn't working. I can tap the bpm but it's not calculating on its own like it's supposed to and had been with SL. Anywhere on the site for help?
Rane, Support
Zach S 9:15 PM - 25 August, 2014
Have you added bpm info to all of your files?

Do you see the letter "S" on the display screen and is it flashing at you?
If not, what do you see?
meccacitysound 9:14 PM - 17 November, 2014
having the same issue..its sayin thru on deck 4 i can load a track but it doesnt play
Rane, Support
Zach S 10:45 PM - 17 November, 2014
Have you turned the 'thru' off by selecting another playback mode?
meccacitysound 1:29 AM - 19 November, 2014
deck 4 would be the mic channel..no mic connected ..not sure what u mean ?
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:45 PM - 19 November, 2014
Deck 4 within SDJ is not a mic channel its a virtual deck.

Please take a screen shot of your 4 deck view and upload it.
That should help.
crazymatt 2:20 AM - 6 February, 2015
I'm having a similar problem except my left deck only shows "thru". I'm not quite following everything you are saying about the channel outputs...

I am only using channels 3 and 4 on the mixer because I need to replace my channel fader for 1 and 2. So my question is, what should I have the input selector on the mixer set to and what should I have the left and right decks set to in Serato DJ?
Rane, Support
Zach S 11:42 PM - 9 February, 2015
Channel 1 should be set to USB 1 - The Third virtual deck will output out of this channel.

Channel 2 should be set to USB 2 - The First virtual deck will output here.

Channel 3 should be set to USB 3 - The Second deck will output here.

Channel 4 should be set to USB 4 - The Fourth deck will output here.

If you set the channel inputs in this way your left deck will go out of thru mode and work.

You can't change what outputs your virtual decks output out of when using SDJ. They are hard wired. Because of that, it sounds like you'll need to get your faders replaced before you can use Deck 1:(