Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Serato DJ crashes immediately upon launch

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Numark NS6
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
DJStylus 2:08 AM - 30 April, 2014
I've been using the NS6 since it hit the market with no problems. I've been using Itch 2.2.0 exclusively since that release came out, as it has been very stable and I had not tested Serato DJ enough to use it on gigs.

This past Saturday, Itch crashed three times during my gig. I had to completely reboot each time. It was extremely embarrassing and is bad for my business.

I figured maybe it was time to try DJ, although up to this point Itch was rock solid. At least moving to DJ could be a troubleshooting exercise.

I installed Serato DJ 1.6.2. It crashes every time I launch it. I can't use it at all. It's completely non-functional with my NS6 as well as my SL3 (maybe a separate thread for that?)

I tried the most recent version of Itch 2.2.2. It freezes and crashes soon after launch. Usually after it recognizes the NS6.

And now, rolling back to Itch 2.2.0, even THAT version is crashing worse than it did on Saturday.

I've been an SSL user for almost 10 years. I'm very keen on optimizing my system. I turn off all non-essential services, including my wireless internet. SSL is still working like a champ on this machine.

I manage my library with iTunes and work from my internal drive.

My computer specs are as follows:

Lenovo ThinkPad
Win7 64 bit, SP1
i5 2.67GHz processor
4GB RAM
464GB HD (180GB free)
Numark, Support
NumarkChris 4:29 PM - 30 April, 2014
Hello,

I would like to help. Stick with Serato DJ 1.6.2 for the time being. You mention..
Quote:
I installed Serato DJ 1.6.2. It crashes every time I launch it. I can't use it at all. It's completely non-functional with my NS6 as well as my SL3 (maybe a separate thread for that?)

If this is the case, most likely your NS6 nor the SL3 is not going to be the issue. Your issue may be due to your current state of your PC or a corrupted file in your database see here -> serato.com. Your meeting minimum specs which is great but when was the last time you performed a virus scan? Also, have you optimized your computer yet? Try out the computer optimization steps below for a Windows VISTA/7 operating system with your Numark controller.

Disable graphical effects.

When troubleshooting or optimizing system performance issues in Windows 7 or Vista, it is often a good idea to disable some or all of Windows 7 or Vista's graphical effects. While they look nice, these effects can actually be just as demanding or more demanding on your computer's system than many professional level programs available on the market. Performance on even the highest-end systems can suffer if too much demand is placed on the processor(s) at once. Disabling these graphical effects is one step towards getting the highest level of performance out of your existing computer. To disable the aero effects:

1. Right + click the background picture on your computer's desktop.

2. Select Personalize from the drop-down menu that appears.

3. In the window that opens, click on Window Color and Appearance.

4. The Window Color and Appearance control panel will open. Click on Open classic appearance properties for more color options.

5. A window titled Appearance Settings will open. Under Color scheme, select Windows 7 or Vista Basic.

6. Click Apply.

7. Click OK to close the Theme Settings window.

8. Close the Personalization control panel by clicking on the X in the upper-right corner of the window.

9. The borders of your windows will no longer be clear, freeing up system resources for other programs.

To free up even more system resources

Right+click the background picture on your computer's desktop.
Select Personalize from the drop-down menu that appears.
In the window that opens, click on Theme.
The Theme Settings window will open. Under Theme, select Windows Classic from the drop-down menu.
Click Apply.
Click OK to close the Theme Settings window.
Close the Personalization control panel by clicking on the X in the upper-right corner of the window.

Minimize Programs running in the background.

The icons at the bottom-right of the screen, next to the clock (mostly) represent programs that are running in the background. This will include virus protection, spyware protection, etc. While recording, it is advisable to exit from these. Right-clicking any of these icons will bring up a menu. If there is a Close, Exit, or Quit option for any of these icons, choose it so that you have exited out of any background programs. You can double-check what applications and processes are running by looking at the Applications and Processes tabs of the Task Manager. To access the Task Manager, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete, and then click "Start Task Manager."

Turn off Automatic Updates.

It can be a good idea to turn off any scheduled tasks. The last thing you want is for a 150MB update to start downloading in the middle of a recording session. Open the Windows Updates control panel. Then, on the left-hand side of the window, click "Change Settings," then choose "Never check for updates." This means that its up to you to manually check for updates yourself. All you have to do is either revisit this Control Panel, or go to windowsupdate.microsoft.com.

Turn off wireless networking.

Wireless networking can sometimes interfere with or interrupt recording. Wireless cards in computers automatically scan the airwaves for available networks. This take up some of your system resources, and can sometimes hurt performance. If a removable wireless networking card is being used on a laptop, the card can simply be removed. If you are on a wireless network, and the card is internal, you can disable the card in the device manager while you record. Its easy to turn back on when you’re not recording.

Set your Power Options to High Performance.

In the Power Options, Control Panel, choose High Performance. Then click Change plan settings button, and set Put the computer to sleep to Never. Then click Save Changes.

For additional tips, click here www.audioforums.com.
DJStylus 6:06 PM - 30 April, 2014
Thanks for the response.

I've been doing these optimization mods since first using SSL. My OS has always looks like Win3.1 or something because I turn everything off.

I also use msconfig to shut down unnecessary startup apps and background services.

I guess my next move is to go hunting for corrupted files.
DJStylus 6:07 PM - 30 April, 2014
I also virus scan regularly. I turn off virus protection when using music apps. Of course my computer is not online when virus protection is off.
DJStylus 5:27 AM - 1 May, 2014
I think I know what the problem is.

Large library.

Mine is around 23K songs.

I'm just discovering that this is happening to a lot of others.

serato.com